PDA

View Full Version : Top 5 LT prospects of the 2000's

theMadStork
03-26-2010, 04:33 PM
where would you guys rank the top left tackles entering the draft dating from this current draft thru the past decade. Let's not be biased by their NFL production, but simply as a prospect.

i believe a few names to throw around are Gallery, Chris Samuels, Joe Thomas, Jake Long, Mike Williams, McKinnie, Leonard Davis, Ferguson, Gross

i honestly don;t think that this class has even a top 10 guy in this category.

rankings?
thought?

Morton
03-26-2010, 04:41 PM
1. Robert Gallery

2. thru 5. The Rest

TACKLE
I'd rank them like this...

1. Robert Gallery
2. Joe Thomas
3. D'Brickashaw Ferguson
4. Jake Long
5. Eugene Monroe

BeerBaron
yeah, Gallery was supposed to be AWESOME!

Now he's an average guard on a bad team....

Mr.Regular
03-26-2010, 04:45 PM
It would have to come down to:
Chris Samuels, Leonard Davis, Robert Gallery, D'Brickashaw Ferguson, Joe Thomas, and Jake Long. I'm not entirely certain on how Samuels and Davis' stocks were at the time. Of the other guys I'd say Gallery was the best, followed by Thomas, then Long, then Ferguson.

CC.SD
03-26-2010, 04:46 PM
Thomas
Gallery
Ferguson
Long
Samuels

BONUS: Andre Smith before the complete nosedive after which he still got drafted 6th.

WMD
03-26-2010, 04:49 PM
From when I've followed the draft (2004+) there's really just three to me that stick out ahead of the pack..

1. Robert Gallery
2. D'Brickashaw Ferguson
3. Joe Thomas

4. Jake Long

Not sure about #5. Maybe Andre Smith. He was a beast before the combine and everything else brought him down some.

theMadStork
03-26-2010, 04:51 PM
so, from what i'm seeing, Okung (assuming he's the current #1) is no where near this list.

i think he's a solid prospect, but by no means in the same league as these guys.

MURPHMAN
03-26-2010, 04:54 PM
As a Panther's fan I am biased and he isn't top 5 but Jordan Gross should be top 10.

CC.SD
03-26-2010, 05:02 PM
so, from what i'm seeing, Okung (assuming he's the current #1) is no where near this list.

i think he's a solid prospect, but by no means in the same league as these guys.

Okung is not top 10 this decade, probably not even top 15.

WMD
03-26-2010, 05:06 PM

Right. Just using last year as an example.. I like Okung more than Jason Smith, but I'd take Andre Smith or Eugene Monroe before him.

Splat
03-26-2010, 05:07 PM
I really thought Gallery was going to step on the field from day one and be one of the better LT's, I still can't believe how he turned out. (I was sold)

theMadStork
03-26-2010, 05:13 PM
as a Raiders fan, yeah, I was sold on Gallery too.
I think the fact that he wasn't just put in at LT day 1 hurt his development and he never caught up. His first few years he was really bounced around.

he is, in fact, a pretty good LG for us right now. But considering what his promise was...holy cow, not in the same galaxy.

theMadStork
03-26-2010, 05:15 PM
Right. Just using last year as an example.. I like Okung more than Jason Smith, but I'd take Andre Smith or Eugene Monroe before him.
I agree. i never quite bought in to Jason Smith and I thought Andre was the bees knees.

Don Vito
03-26-2010, 05:26 PM
1. Gallery
2. J. Thomas
3. C. Samuels
4. Jake Long (was first pick but some didn't like him at LT)
5. D'Brick

irishbucsfan
03-26-2010, 05:42 PM
I didn't start really following the draft until after Gallery was in the league - could someone please tell me why he was considered so great? Thanks.

keylime_5
03-26-2010, 05:48 PM
Robert Gallery was tops. Chris Samuels and Joe Thomas after him. D'Brickashaw Ferguson maybe 3rd or 4th. Jake Long is around the same as D'Brick I think. It's clear that Gallery and Thomas were better prospects than Ferguson and Long though at least.

Paranoidmoonduck
03-26-2010, 05:53 PM
I didn't start really following the draft until after Gallery was in the league - could someone please tell me why he was considered so great? Thanks.

Dominant college player coming from a great school for offensive linemen with strong technique, ran a sub 5 40, a sub 4.4 short shuttle, and played with a mean demeanor. I was sold as much as anyone (although I was still pulling for Fitzgerald, personally).

yourfavestoner
03-26-2010, 06:02 PM

Eugene Monroe FTMFW

Complex
03-26-2010, 06:07 PM
People were saying that D'Brickashaw Ferguson was soft and stuff like that when he came out.(well at least Mel Kiper)

People are forgetting about how good Leonard Davis, Mckinnie and Mike Williams were in college.

Don Vito
03-26-2010, 06:30 PM
Oher plays RT now but I still maintain he would've been the best LT prospect last year, I've used one word a thousand times for him and that is OVERANALYZED.

Pitt
03-26-2010, 07:22 PM
Oher plays RT now but I still maintain he would've been the best LT prospect last year, I've used one word a thousand times for him and that is OVERANALYZED.

Exactly. And it's happening to Suh and Rolando McClain right now as well.

Splat
03-26-2010, 07:37 PM
I'm not a fan of Det never have been never will be but when they pasted on Oher (at 20) I was screaming at the TV like they were my team...

RaiderNation
03-26-2010, 07:40 PM
I didnt start following the draft since after the 05 draft so from 06-09 it goes for me...

1 Joe Thomas
2 Andre Smith
3 Jake Long
4 D'Brickashaw Ferguson
5 Jason Smith

eaglesalltheway
03-26-2010, 07:56 PM
Robert Gallery was tops. Chris Samuels and Joe Thomas after him. D'Brickashaw Ferguson maybe 3rd or 4th. Jake Long is around the same as D'Brick I think. It's clear that Gallery and Thomas were better prospects than Ferguson and Long though at least.

This is how I feel 1 was Gallery than 2/3 are personal preference Between Samuels and Thomas. Depending on who you talk to, D'Brick could be ahead of Samuels or Thomas, not me personally. I'd put Long behind D'Brick.

eaglesalltheway
03-26-2010, 07:58 PM
I'm not a fan of Det never have been never will be but when they pasted on Oher (at 20) I was screaming at the TV like they were my team...

Hahaha me too. I'm sure Stafford was too.

SenorGato
03-26-2010, 08:06 PM
Gallery/D'Brick/Thomas/Samuels/

D'Brick was a big time prospect man...I think in Scott's writeup here from '06 he wrote that if D'Brick had come out as a junior in '05 he'd have been a top 5 pick. Granted '05 was a meh draft, that's still pretty huge. He was also an unquestioned top 5 pick in the loaded '06 draft.

Splat
03-26-2010, 08:08 PM
I had a pretty big man crush on Jake Long some might say I wanted to have his baby, I so wanted him to fall to the Chiefs.

JFLO
03-26-2010, 08:22 PM
I didn't follow the draft as much when Samuels was selected, so I'll leave him out. But I've been following the drafts since probably 2004, so here would be my list:

1. Robert Gallery Iowa
2. Joe Thomas Wisconsin
3. D'Brickashaw Ferguson Virginia
4. Jake Long Michigan
5. Eugene Monroe Virginia

This is strictly from a Prospect Standpoint, NFL career isn't considered.

I thought D'Brickashaw Ferguson would be one of the best, if not the best LT in the league by now, that's why he is higher than Jake Long. Also, I thought Eugene Monroe was the best LT in the class last year and I think he'll end up being a multi-Pro Bowl player when it's all said and done.

WMD
03-26-2010, 08:24 PM
D'Brick is a dancing bear.

energizerbunny
03-26-2010, 09:00 PM
D'Brick is a dancing bear.

His main problem, and which will probaly hurt him at being a true dominat LT is that he isn't thick enough through the lower body (calves,hammies,butt). He has phenomenal feet and great hands but he will never be able to reach that level as a run blocker to truly be a dominant LT.

herkyhawkeye
03-26-2010, 09:42 PM
Gallery was very much screwed in his position. I believe he had multiple oline coaches, was moved around considerably before he got any signifcant play at any position, and was drafted on a oline that was anything but good. It had to have been pretty hard to develop on a oline with very little leadership or veterans. excuse my ignorance on the matter raider fans if anything is proven incorrect, but this is the story i got from it. Good news for Gallery was that he settle into a guard spot and has turned out to be very solid.

I was actually most impressed with Joe Thomas. He was a monster at wisconsin and I knew his hard working, no shenanigans attitude would be perfect for a NFL OT. He skipped the lights and glamor of attending the draft in madison square garden to go fishing with his dad.

Michigan
03-26-2010, 11:05 PM
mmm...

1a. Robert Gallery
1b. Jake Long
1c. Joe Thomas (gun to my head i'd take them in this order, but all 3 were pretty close to flawless)
4. D'Brickishaw Ferguson
5. Chris Samuels
6. Bryant McKinnie
7. Eugene Monroe
8. Mike Williams
9. Leonard Davis
10. Jason Smith
11. Jordan Gross
12. Andre Smith
13. Michael Oher
14. Russell Okung
15. Ryan Clady

parcells
03-27-2010, 07:32 AM
Gallery was such a can't miss prospect. He was a beast from a physical stand point and was incredibly polished to boot. As a Chargers fans I was ok when we passed on him (would have been very happy with him) but my heart sank when the Raiders took him. I'm still surprised at how he turned out and believe that he'd have been a success if he'd landed anywhere else.

Addict
03-27-2010, 08:00 AM
Hahaha me too. I'm sure Stafford was too.

crying more like.

I still don't dislike Pettigrew, but passing on Oher was a mistake.

Goganious
03-27-2010, 07:26 PM
I can't believe more people haven't mentioned Mike Williams. He was a can't-miss, sure-fire "next hall of famer" at left tackle. Unfortunately for the Bills, he had more desire to eat and watch television than to play football.

Vox Populi
03-27-2010, 08:51 PM
I can't believe more people haven't mentioned Mike Williams. He was a can't-miss, sure-fire "next hall of famer" at left tackle. Unfortunately for the Bills, he had more desire to eat and watch television than to play football.

Not that surprising, he only played right tackle in college (blind side for Chris Simms) and he wasn't at all the prospect that Chris Samuels was 2 years earlier, and basically the same prospect as his teammate Leonard Davis was the year before.

I'd go with a top 5 that looks like this:
1. Robert Gallery
2. Joe Thomas
3. Chris Samuels
4. Jake Long
5. D'Brickishaw Ferguson

I didn't really start following the draft until 2003, and didn't take a very large interest in it until the 2006 draft, but from reading everything I could, I've basically figured that Samuels was Jake Long without the concerns that he might be only an above average left tackle or an all-pro right tackle.

OaklandRaider56
03-27-2010, 11:28 PM
Why the hell are people putting Eugene Monroe on their lists? Most over rated top LT prospect I've seen in recent years. Not a big fan of finesse offensive lineman, Monroe's a pussyfoot..

K Train
03-28-2010, 01:05 AM
whoever said

1. gallery
2. the rest

is right

and as far as monroe goes i agree, i had him 4th out of the LTs last year (oher, andre, jason, eugene) and would put him well behind brick and even behind branden albert who would have played LT at virginia if he didnt get hurt in the spring

and as far as andre smith goes, he did it himself....this andre smith is a pure man beast and a TERRIFIC prospect to be an outstanding pro
http://i2.cdn.turner.com/si/2009/writers/peter_king/02/24/mail/andre-smith.jpg

the one we see now, looks bloated and like a pretty good guard one day

RealityCheck
03-28-2010, 07:16 AM
1. Thomas, Wisc, 2007
2. Gallery, Iowa, 2002
3. Long, Mich, 2008
4. Ferguson, UVA, 2006
5. Smith, Baylor, 2009

JFLO
03-28-2010, 09:40 AM
I'm sorry, but Eugene Monroe was the most complete LT in the class last year and IMO, he had one of the best season of all OT rookies last year. There is no way he was overrated at all last year. Jason Smith had the most potential, but Monroe was much more technical and complete as a prospect than Smith would have ever been.

SenorGato
03-28-2010, 09:55 AM
His main problem, and which will probaly hurt him at being a true dominat LT is that he isn't thick enough through the lower body (calves,hammies,butt). He has phenomenal feet and great hands but he will never be able to reach that level as a run blocker to truly be a dominant LT.

He's on the best run blocking unit in the NFL....

Man I hope the Jets become a team of significance so people realize how good this guy is.

scottyboy
03-28-2010, 10:05 AM

Man I hope the Jets become a team of significance so people realize how good this guy is.

d'brick's run blocking has been very good, great ever, but his pass blocking has been very inconcsistant and quite "meh" throughout his career.

energizerbunny
03-28-2010, 10:06 AM

They rarely run right behind him, its usually a combination of Faneca & Mangold, or they pull Faneca and run right behind two very good run blockers in Woody and Moore.

The reason the Jets are such a good run blocking team is because they have 4 guys who are ++ Run blockers, and 1 guy who is just average. D'Brickashaw isn't much better run blocking wise then your average NFL tightend.

scottyboy
03-28-2010, 10:09 AM
They rarely run right behind him, its usually a combination of Faneca & Mangold, or they pull Faneca and run right behind two very good run blockers in Woody and Moore.

The reason the Jets are such a good run blocking team is because they have 4 guys who are ++ Run blockers, and 1 guy who is just average. D'Brickashaw isn't much better run blocking wise then your average NFL tightend.

i wouldnt really say that. you are correct, they don't run dircetly behind him often, but pulling, D'Brick is very good at. he's quick and gets to his point and blocks very well on the ground game. again, i feel he's a good run blocker, but his pass blocking is incredibly suspect

griff2213
03-28-2010, 10:28 AM
I don't see how Okung isn't in this discussion. Personally, I actually think he's near the top. His athleticism, feet, and agility are elite. Especially compared to someone like Jake Long. I think people here are overrating Jake Long when he was coming out. A lot of people seriously questioned his athleticism and lateral quickness and didn't even think he could play left tackle.

griff2213
03-28-2010, 10:32 AM
For me it goes:

1. Thomas
2. Gallery
3. Ferguson
4. Okung
5. Samuels
6. Long
7. McKinnie
8. Monroe
9. Oher
10. L. Davis

Could be forgetting someone.

jetsfan0099
03-28-2010, 12:56 PM
People were saying that D'Brickashaw Ferguson was soft and stuff like that when he came out.(well at least Mel Kiper)

People are forgetting about how good Leonard Davis, Mckinnie and Mike Williams were in college.

People also said that Brick was one of the most athletic LT prospects to come out, I remember hearing that he would step on the field and be the most athletic OT in football from day 1.

Mel said that it would take Brick 3 years to start to dominate in the league, he was right. His first 2 years he struggled with losing too much weight and getting pushed around. But then his 3rd year he got up to 320 and had a great season and last year was great also. He is a top 5 LT in football right now.

jetsfan0099
03-28-2010, 01:00 PM
d'brick's run blocking has been very good, great ever, but his pass blocking has been very inconcsistant and quite "meh" throughout his career.

Not true, Brick the last 2 years has been one of the best pass blockers at LT in the game. He rarely gets beat. Hes a top 5 LT right now.

jetsfan0099
03-28-2010, 01:01 PM

Brick last year turned the corner on his run blocking, he really was good at it. He helped create some big holes, saying he isn't much better run blocking than the average NFL tightend is wrong.

People really need to watch him play, hes a complete stud on the OL. Him and Mangold are the Jets best linemen easily.

scottyboy
03-28-2010, 01:02 PM
Not true, Brick the last 2 years has been one of the best pass blockers at LT in the game. He rarely gets beat. Hes a top 5 LT right now.

that is the most hilarious thing i've ever read. and I get called a homer. not even close.

Michigan
03-28-2010, 01:07 PM
I don't see how Okung isn't in this discussion. Personally, I actually think he's near the top. His athleticism, feet, and agility are elite. Especially compared to someone like Jake Long. I think people here are overrating Jake Long when he was coming out. A lot of people seriously questioned his athleticism and lateral quickness and didn't even think he could play left tackle.

For no reason.

Jake Long had a better 40 time, 20 yard shuttle time, and 3-cone drill time than D'Brickishaw Ferguson, the god of athletic LT's.

jetsfan0099
03-28-2010, 01:11 PM
that is the most hilarious thing i've ever read. and I get called a homer. not even close.

How is he not even close? Aaron Schobel said Brick was a top 3 LT in football during last season.

People underrate Brick so much, so he started off his career slow with a inconsistent first 2 seasons. Hes been great the last 2 years though. Once Bill Callahan became our OL coach hes been great, his weight has also improved. Hes apart of arguably the best OL in football and is one of the best players on it.

Just curious who do you think is a better LT than Brick in the NFL right now?

wogitalia
03-29-2010, 12:27 AM
Feels like Jake Long is getting "did well in the NFL" upgrades. The general consensus on him was there were serious concerns over his ability to play LT.

I can remember reading all over that he was probably the best RT prospect in recent memory but was a very suspect LT. For what it is worth, I didn't by into the can't play LT thing but I'm big on production outweighing measurables at some point and Long was the classic example of watch the tape not the combine prospect and even then, he had a good combine really.

As a LT prospect I would say that Ferguson, J. Smith, E. Monroe, J. Thomas and Ferguson all were rated higher since I've been really following the draft. Monroe being the lowest of that group.

Joe Thomas is by far the best prospect I have seen. I think the biggest flaw I can remember anyone finding in him was when people questioned his commitment because he went fishing with his dad instead of attending the draft. Pretty sure you are fairly well regarded when that is the case.

Ferguson was considered an elite prospect because it was expected he would be a shutdown pass protector. There were concerns about his leg strength though.

Jason Smith was similar to Ferguson. Expected to be elite as a pass protector with work to do as a run blocker and questions on experience.

Monroe was expected to be rock solid but it was consistently mentioned that if he didn't work out at LT he could play guard, that in a way says people aren't sure about you.

Andre Smith had height concerns and then fell to pieces at the combine and his pro day. I still think he was the best OL in that draft though. Similar to Long though it was questioned if he was a LT in the NFL, because of size for him.

Long was an elite RT prospect and a good LT prospect, worries about quickness were his "flaw".

Levi Brown and Staley were both solid, Brown again had serious concerns over whether he could play LT.

It's interesting that the 2008 draft hasn't really been mentioned outside of Long. It had a lot of very good LT prospects but I think because of how many there were they sort of all diminished each others value as prospects. Outside of Long it just seems the rest all shared attention so none got built up that much as prospects. It's funny because that draft has probably produced half the top 10 LTs since 2005.

Finally... my top 5 would look like this, based purely on my own assessments with no regard to how they have done in the pros or how others regarded them.

1. Joe Thomas - As I said, was elite and on another level.
2. D'Brickashaw Ferguson - Was the first draft I really followed and I was in love with him as a prospect.
3. Andre Smith - I still really like him despite obvious concerns.
4. Jake Long - Was partly swayed by his worst case of being an elite RT.
5. Jason Smith - Liked him a lot, reminds me quite a bit of Ferguson.

umphrey
03-29-2010, 01:44 AM
1) Gallery was hyped as the best lineman prospect of the century
2) Thomas was dominant with a complete, polished game that looked like an NFL left tackle
3) Long wasn't on the same level as 1-2 but was also very polished with a complete game that really looked like an NFL left tackle
4) Ferguson also looked NFL ready but there were questions about his run blocking and whether he'd ever be dominant or pro bowl level
5) -No one stands out here, probably someone from pre-04/05 because that's about when I started following the draft. There are probably guys who I'd rank higher if I knew them as prospects and not NFL players. NOT Jason Smith or Andre Smith because Jason didn't have much starting experience and was a bit of a workout warrior and Andre had serious character/dedication/athleticism concerns.