PDA

View Full Version : Will the Steelers draft a QB to send a message?

LizardState
03-28-2010, 11:20 AM
I was going to put this in the draft random discussion thread but on 2nd thought it might merit its own.

Every draft it seems there is some off the field big story about an NFL superstar misbehaving with guns/alcohol/sex just before the draft, or any combination thereof, & it suddenly changes the draft priorities of his team. Last yr. the offseason scandal involved Plaxico Burress & his handgun accident in NYC nightclub that had serious consequences for his career, I think he's out of fb now, & maybe for good.

With the recent statements from Goodell about taking Ben Rothlisberger's 2nd sexual assault accusation "very seriously," it could be a portent of sanctions against Ben Ben that could include but not limited to suspension from regular season games. It depends on whether any charges are filed or there is any adjudication of these charges, but the NFL hasn't been shy about sanctioning superstars for off the field violations. And this is both a 2nd offense & an alcohol-related one, as an associate said to ESPN last wk. "Was he the drunkest person there? No...... but he probably had a buzz on..." I think that translates into an acknowledgment from all witnesses present at the Georgia nightclub that evening that Ben was drunk.

ESPN has reported that the Steelers are gaga over Florida jr. center Maurkice Pouncey & will take him with the 18th pick in the 1st round. Their current center is Justin Hartwig, & they drafted a center last yr, A. Q. Shipley from Penn St., who signed with the Eagles in January. PFW lists their primary draft need as o-line, with ORT Willie Colon probably shifted inside to guard or another RG to e drafted.

But that could change overnight with charges being filed against Rothlisberger. The team re-signed Charlie Batch to a 2-yr contract last wk. as backup QB insurance, & no one considers Batch a starter anymore in the NFL. If Big Ben could miss games b/c of league sanctions, the team is going to need someone better than Batch under center.

And is there a roster more set than the Steelers who won the SB 2 yrs ago? If that is so, a new center could be a luxury pick. They are drafting at an uncharacteristic spot of 18th b/c of 2009 defensive disappointments relating to Troy Polamalu out with injuries& not any downgrade in o-line play, although the comment from PFW & others that their o-line is aging is true.

The Steelers organization is considered one of the best in FB & has been monitoring their starting QB's latest trouble with great interest. I can't see them trading for a veteran QB, or moving up to draft Sam Bradford or Clausen in the 1st rd, the cost would be too high & the Steelers jealously guard their draft choices, but taking a rapid riser up many draft boards like Dan LeFevour could happen in the 2nd or later rds. They arent going to let this situation lie -- If charges are filed &/or sanctions forthcoming against Rothlisberger, maybe even taking a QB in the 1st rd. to show both their starting QB & their fanbase they're serious about coming back to the playoffs in 2010. And to primarily send Big Ben a msg: Keep getting your name in the headlines from crashing vehicles & breaking your teeth out or sexually assaulting women while drunk & even you are expendable.

What do you think?

Halsey
03-28-2010, 11:26 AM
I think teams should always be open to drafting a QB if they have questions about their current situation at the game's single most important position. If Ben avoids any serious trouble, it's not like QBs are hard to trade. We see teams get value in return for QBs all the time. San Diego just got 2 mid round picks in return for Charlie Whitehurst. They should seriously consider taking Jimmy Clausen if he were there at 18. Guys like Jarrett Brown, Tony Pike, and John Skelton could be options in other rounds.

armageddon
03-28-2010, 11:34 AM
Send the Rams a 5th and Bulger is theirs. Bulger will do fine surrounded by talent.

Hines
03-28-2010, 11:36 AM
An elite quarterback is something they won't draft. I could see them drafting Snead, LaFevour, or the Bowling Green QB and developing him. If Ben is out for a significant amount of time, I think they'll move ahead with Dixon as their starting quarterback.

Caulibflower
03-28-2010, 11:57 AM
I don't see them drafting a quarterback as an insurance policy for Ben; I was fairly impressed with Dennis Dixon when he took them to overtime against the Ravens in his first career start. Obviously you can't project an entire career off of one game, but he's now 3 years removed from tearing his ACL, and that was the only reason he lasted until the 5th round in '08. I would be surprised if they took a QB before the 5th round this year.

K Train
03-28-2010, 12:05 PM
it depends if bens future with the team is in question, i dont think it is but if the rooneys are sick of it and plan to move on soon i think they go with dixon for a year at least.

please god dont target tebow....theres been tomlin-tebow man crush rumors

LonghornsLegend
03-28-2010, 12:31 PM
What would LeFevour do for the Steelers that Dixon can't? It's not like Dixon is some crap prospect, it makes no sense to make another lateral move, especially for a QB you need time to develop, which they have already done with Dixon.

Dixon can play, I don't know why people overlooking him like he's a scrub, before his ACL injury he was a very good prospect in his own right and looked solid last year. He'd get a chance to prove himself again before the Steelers took a QB early, especially one who is virtually similiar, what's the point?

Brothgar
03-28-2010, 12:31 PM
wasting a 1st round pick on a QB to scare Ben is cutting off your nose to spite your face.

Pitt
03-28-2010, 12:39 PM
What would LeFevour do for the Steelers that Dixon can't? It's not like Dixon is some crap prospect, it makes no sense to make another lateral move, especially for a QB you need time to develop, which they have already done with Dixon.

Dixon can play, I don't know why people overlooking him like he's a scrub, before his ACL injury he was a very good prospect in his own right and looked solid last year. He'd get a chance to prove himself again before the Steelers took a QB early, especially one who is virtually similiar, what's the point?

Those use to be my thoughts as well. But what made him special in College, he will no longer do in the Pro's. He's your typical black QB that would rather take a sack (to feel like a "real" QB), than gain positive yardage by running it.

A few more runs against Baltimore, and the Steelers win that game.

I'd take LeFevour any day of the week over Dixon. And I'd use a 2nd round pick to do so.

LizardState
03-28-2010, 12:55 PM
Sorry, I like many others forgot about Dixon after his ACL surgery. He can play but he's still very raw. If it came down to Dixon vs. Batch for the starting job in camp b/c Ben is doing jail time or was suspended for p/o the season, Batch would win the job b/c he has more experience & knows their playbook & offense better.

Best case: Big Ben ponies up millions to pay off the alleged rape victim & that's that. Worst case: Goodell makes an example of & throws the book at him & he misses many gamechecks. The question is still what the team will do, they won't sit idle at draft time if Ben is looking at wearing an orange jumpsuit instead of black & gold this Fall.

Hines
03-28-2010, 12:56 PM

Never said LeFevour would do better than Dixon. I love DD and believe he can be a very good back up/spot starter for the Steelers if called upon. I also think he'd be good trade bait for a team that needs a QB *cough cough his hometown Raiders*.

V.I.P
03-28-2010, 01:00 PM
Steelers better trade for Jim Sorgi straight up.

Pitt
03-28-2010, 01:13 PM
Steelers better trade for Jim Sorgi straight up.

http://i244.photobucket.com/albums/gg9/ricer12/cold.gif

Halsey
03-28-2010, 01:23 PM
Just because Dixon looked ok in one game doesn't mean the Steelers should be sold on him as a potential long term starter if Big Ben needs to be replaced. Adding another QB would give them a better shot at finding at true long term starter, if that's what they need.

Shane P. Hallam
03-28-2010, 01:28 PM
The resigning of Batch basically negates this possibility as anything more than a late round guy.

LonghornsLegend
03-28-2010, 01:49 PM
Those use to be my thoughts as well. But what made him special in College, he will no longer do in the Pro's. He's your typical black QB that would rather take a sack (to feel like a "real" QB), than gain positive yardage by running it.

A few more runs against Baltimore, and the Steelers win that game.

I'd take LeFevour any day of the week over Dixon. And I'd use a 2nd round pick to do so.

Oh, ok. I didn't know there was a "typical black QB", I also find it funny that if a black QB takes a sack instead of committing a turnover it's a knock on him using this rationale, but with a white QB it's a smart play.

But no, the typical black QB just takes sacks to feel like a "real QB", not to be smart, or to not turn the ball over, that makes so much more sense :rolleyes:

Just because Dixon looked ok in one game doesn't mean the Steelers should be sold on him as a potential long term starter if Big Ben needs to be replaced.

And who said that they should? I said they would be content with giving him a shot before drafting another QB in the 2nd or 3rd round who has a skillset similiar to his and needs a few years to develop also. Nobody said they should be sold on him as a potential long term starter, but you also shouldn't just toss him to the side and draft another QB early before you know what he has to offer.

You drafted him and have been grooming him, he took a very good team/defense to OT in his 1st start in which they were afraid to let him even throw the ball much of the game.

armageddon
03-28-2010, 02:17 PM
The Steelers need Bulger. Plus he's from there. Give the Rams a 5th rounder and he's yours. The dude is accuate, just protect him. I know the Steelers have been giving up a lot of sacks lately also. Not sure how that factors in the equation.

Pitt
03-28-2010, 02:54 PM
Oh, ok. I didn't know there was a "typical black QB", I also find it funny that if a black QB takes a sack instead of committing a turnover it's a knock on him using this rationale, but with a white QB it's a smart play.

But no, the typical black QB just takes sacks to feel like a "real QB", not to be smart, or to not turn the ball over, that makes so much more sense :rolleyes:

Perhaps a slower QB can't run, and is forced to take the sack. Not the case with one like Dixon. Clearly you didn't watch the game.

LonghornsLegend
03-28-2010, 03:15 PM
Perhaps a slower QB can't run, and is forced to take the sack. Not the case with one like Dixon. Clearly you didn't watch the game.

Well being that me and my entire family is from Pittsburgh, and it was a primetime night game, yes I saw the whole game, but I guess it's easier to just say "clearly you didn't watch the whole game" instead of trying to justify you calling him a "typical black QB".

If he was running around like he was still at Oregon he wouldn't last halfway through the season, it's not like he's a 230 lb guy. Besides any of that, the fact that he's willing to take a sack when nothing is open downfield is always looked upon as the smart thing to do, has nothing to do with him being black so he's doing it so people think he's a "real QB".

Pitt
03-28-2010, 03:28 PM
Well being that me and my entire family is from Pittsburgh, and it was a primetime night game, yes I saw the whole game, but I guess it's easier to just say "clearly you didn't watch the whole game" instead of trying to justify you calling him a "typical black QB".

If he was running around like he was still at Oregon he wouldn't last halfway through the season, it's not like he's a 230 lb guy. Besides any of that, the fact that he's willing to take a sack when nothing is open downfield is always looked upon as the smart thing to do, has nothing to do with him being black so he's doing it so people think he's a "real QB".

Smart thing to do when you aren't mobile. But he is.

Like I said...

Caulibflower
03-28-2010, 03:54 PM
Just because Dixon looked ok in one game doesn't mean the Steelers should be sold on him as a potential long term starter if Big Ben needs to be replaced. Adding another QB would give them a better shot at finding at true long term starter, if that's what they need.

Just because Dixon only played in one game doesn't mean they should draft a rookie who hasn't played in any. He's been in their system for three years now; he knows it, and from what we've seen, he has some potential. Could he be a solid starter? It's impossible to tell, but as far as this years draft is concerned, which is what this discussion is about, I don't see any reason they ought to grab a guy to be their "quarterback of the future." Someone said they'd take Dan LeFevour with their second rounder. That's stupid.

(EDIT) I realize that there is a distinct possibility that Ben could be charged for something and/or suspended for a long time, which may or may not mark the end of his days as a Steeler. But that simply hasn't happened yet, and this isn't a good draft for quarterbacks, especially when you already have a young, talented guy already on your roster.

Pitt
03-28-2010, 04:04 PM
Shouldn't even be about the current situation Ben is in. His playing style has warranted a quality backup. And with Batch getting older, the time has come to find that guy.

Pitt
03-28-2010, 04:07 PM

And I didn't mean it in a lack of knowledge sense... only referring to that game, where there were numerous times he had that Defense on their heals by running it. He had that game. But chose to pass at the end.

Mr. Goosemahn
03-29-2010, 03:54 AM
Shouldn't even be about the current situation Ben is in. His playing style has warranted a quality backup. And with Batch getting older, the time has come to find that guy.

This. Batch filled in really well in the past when called upon. He's a great backup QB, and a great guy for that matter, but he's just fragile and old right now.

Dixon is a good QB. I'm not saying he's a franchise QB and that he's a game-changers and stuff, but he can make a play or two. He's got his speed back, but he knows he can't use it nearly as much as he did in college. He should know that. He can just ask Pat White what happens to light QBs who try to run.

Right now, Dixon appears to be the #2. He actually competed against Batch last year for the #2 spot, but ultimately lost it. Many believe he'll win it this year.

As for drafting a QB early, I don't believe it'll happen. Steelers GM Kevin Colbert already said that the team "appears to be set at QB" and they've got enough confidence in Dixon to start for any time Ben misses. Plus, an improved and promising running game with Mendenhall should help him.

If the Steelers do look for another QB, they'd try and get Byron Leftwich from the Bucs, who had previously stated that if he was going to be a backup, he'd like to stay in Pittsburgh. The team liked his as well, and there are supposedly rumors going around that the Bucs will cut him. Steelers coaches were also very impressed with Jevan Snead at his workout, so that would be another option. Also Joe Webb, another guy the coaching staff really liked.