PDA

View Full Version : Ball Doesn't Touch Ground at Bradford Pro Day

Jimmy
03-29-2010, 11:48 AM
Sam Bradford may have locked himself in at the #1 spot for St. Louis. Pretty impressive in my mind, you can bet that Bradford will try to get a deal finalized pretty soon if he can. I'm pretty sure this is the writing on the wall

http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/36084032/ns/sports-player_news/

Brothgar
03-29-2010, 11:53 AM
Is there any film of this out there?

Trogdor
03-29-2010, 11:59 AM
As expected. But keep in mind pro days are held to show the absolute scripted best of a prospect. If you keep that in mind his 50/50 should be expected but it definitely isn't a bad thing to meet expectations for Bradford. :D

J-Mike88
03-29-2010, 12:07 PM
Did any blitzing linebackers, or safeties, or corners, or DE's or DT's sack and smash him into the turf to see if he can handle a hit now?

He's going to get pile-driven into the gound by a lot bigger and stronger guys than the BYU and Texas guys who popped his shoulder apart.

LonghornsLegend
03-29-2010, 12:16 PM
I actually heard 1 ball was dropped.

But, it's important for him because he needs to show his shoulder is strong and he can put some velocity on the ball now, but my questions against Bradford were always when he was faced with pressure or a pass rush. I've been saying the same things the past 2 seasons seeing him play quite a bit, when he had that incredible line with all day to throw it was easy to look good, but with a pass rush in his face he doesn't always step up and deliver how he should.

Keep in mind, Alex Smith looked amazing at his pro day also. Still, looking great is better then looking subpar, this is a good step for Bradford though.

ThePudge
03-29-2010, 12:18 PM
Did any blitzing linebackers, or safeties, or corners, or DE's or DT's sack and smash him into the turf to see if he can handle a hit now?

He's going to get pile-driven into the gound by a lot bigger and stronger guys than the BYU and Texas guys who popped his shoulder apart.

How often do you see blitzing linebackers, safeties, corners or DT/DEs smash into Quarterbacks during Pro Days? Saw a little bit of the video, saw the post-workout interview, and the consensus on nfl.com, ESPN, etc. was that Bradford was near flawless. Every player is going to see higher competition in the NFL. Most importantly, the shoulder looks great, healthy, & his arm is apparently stronger than ever.

Everyone expected near perfection & that's what he put in today. He showed everything he could possibly show in a controlled setting.

The latest from nfl.com's crew....

"NORMAN, Okla. — Sam Bradford’s workout today in front of representatives for all 32 NFL teams at Oklahoma’s pro day almost left me speechless. And that’s saying something.

Bradford threw more than 100 passes during the workout and in my estimation, didn’t have one that was uncatchable. He moved around well, including throwing on the run out of the pocket, and went through the entire route tree.

It really was a treat to watch, and I think everyone here was in awe of his performance. In fact, Bradford put on the best quarterback workout by a draft prospect that I’ve seen since I watched a private workout Troy Aikman put on for us with the Cowboys in California.

If Bradford is feeling the effects of his shoulder or is experiencing any weakness, there were no indications of that today. It didn’t show. He threw with velocity during the entire workout.

Terry Shea, the former college and NFL coach who is working with Bradford as a quarterback consultant, told me they’ve been working together for nine weeks. The first five weeks of workouts, Bradford didn’t even throw. They only worked on footwork because Bradford hadn’t been cleared by doctors yet.

I would imagine that two weeks from now, Bradford’s arm will be even stronger than what we saw today. And today, it was very strong."

ThePudge
03-29-2010, 12:21 PM
But, it's important for him because he needs to show his shoulder is strong and he can put some velocity on the ball now, but my questions against Bradford were always when he was faced with pressure or a pass rush. I've been saying the same things the past 2 seasons seeing him play quite a bit, when he had that incredible line with all day to throw it was easy to look good, but with a pass rush in his face he doesn't always step up and deliver how he should.

If anything he wasn't near cautious enough in college, he steps into contact to make throws & it's gotten him hurt. He doesn't let pressure rush his decision-making or accuracy. He's not Brady Quinn people, he keeps his eyes downfield & is very tough in the pocket. He has to learn to see the pressure, react to it, and stop falling on that damn throwing shoulder.

LonghornsLegend
03-29-2010, 12:27 PM
If anything he wasn't near cautious enough in college, he steps into contact to make throws & it's gotten him hurt. He doesn't let pressure rush his decision-making or accuracy. He's not Brady Quinn people, he keeps his eyes downfield & is very tough in the pocket. He has to learn to see the pressure, react to it, and stop falling on that damn throwing shoulder.

Well I disagree, I've seen quite a bit of him and he looked like a different QB after majority of that line left. I didn't say he was Brady Quinn but he looks rushed, throws off his backfoot quite a bit, and gets rattled once you get some pressure on him. I was saying those same things well before he came into the draft and sure enough, any team they played that was able to get a decent pass rush shut that offense down quite a bit.

It's not like he can't work on it, but to me that's a big question mark and his main weakness.

That being said, I just hope if STL drafts him they don't rush him and let him redshirt as a rookie. His shoulder could potentially be back healthy, but another year to strengthen it on an NFL training regimen is only going to help. With the size of NFL players, he could fall on that shoulder as a rookie and the same thing happens again.

I really hope they continue to put weapons around him, develop the offensive line, and don't give him any meaningful snaps until his 2nd season.

ThePudge
03-29-2010, 12:42 PM
Well I disagree, I've seen quite a bit of him and he looked like a different QB after majority of that line left. I didn't say he was Brady Quinn but he looks rushed, throws off his backfoot quite a bit, and gets rattled once you get some pressure on him. I was saying those same things well before he came into the draft and sure enough, any team they played that was able to get a decent pass rush shut that offense down quite a bit.

I'd typically agree with sitting him in Year One, but he's already at 100% and his shoulder will be as healthy as mine, yours, or Jimmy Clausen's by the time the Preseason & contact football rolls around. The ideal situation would be rest him, set up some weapons, & a solid line in front of him.

Aside from Ohio State, the team I've seen the most of in the past half-decade or so is Oklahoma. I got hooked during AD's freshman year & when Sam Bradford stepped in the starting lineup as a freshman I loved watching the Sooners. He played two games behind that line this year, so I make more judgments based on his Freshman & Sophomore years personally. He didn't have his senior receivers, he didn't have his Tight End (the best in the country), and he was missing three starting linemen (Loadholt, Cooper, Robinson.) Of course, with that all considered, he's going to need to make adjustments against competition like BYU and Texas.

During his two years of healthy football he was the exact opposite of your accusations. As I said, he stood tough in the pocket & would step into his throws even under pressure. I have been over this before in another thread and can provide video examples. I think, and I would hope, when Bradford steps on the field in the NFL he'll be playing with that prior confidence.

I understand your concerns, but he's not a guy that turns his back on the field, he's not a guy that often rushes throws, and he's not a guy that will throw the ball away easily in the face of pressure. His toughness those first two years really stood out as a positive for me. He didn't appear quite as comfortable with different (inferior) personnel, but I think that's perfectly normal, I still believe if Bradford played last year Oklahoma would have been in a BCS Bowl.

Everyone's entitled to their opinions though & if what you saw this year against BYU/Texas overrides his prior body of work in your mind then that's all good. I think he could use that year off (or to learn) get comfortable with his line/receivers & come in 2011 as a very confident young passer. I like his confidence regardless though, but I agree that it would benefit him to wait until St. Louis has receivers/tight ends/OL in place.

georgiafan
03-29-2010, 12:50 PM
didnt we allready know that bradford could throw when he has all day to throw?

no bare feet
03-29-2010, 12:56 PM
didnt we allready know that bradford could throw when he has all day to throw?

I don't think that was goal of this performance. I think endurance, shoulder stability, zip, ball placement and touch were being evaluated more so than if he can throw with all day to throw

TACKLE
03-29-2010, 12:58 PM

It's not like he can't work on it, but to me that's a big question mark and his main weakness.

Gotta agree with Pudge on this one. Bradford had great poise and presence in the pocket. He stands tall in the face of pass rush. People love to give his O-Line all the credit. His O-Line was very good at times and they gave him lots of time but it wasn't great. This was shown against more athletic fronts like Texas. A lot of teams don't like to blitz him because he's so good at reading the defense and is so quick getting the ball out, he can pick apart blitzing defenses. Also, he stands tall in the pocket and in so poised that it doesn't seem like the pressure is ever getting there.

However he needs to improve on maneuvering in the pocket to avoid unnecessary hits. With that being said, I have a hard time believing that a guy like Jimmy Clausen has better poise in the pocket. How many times have we seen Jimmy Clausen face pressure, than back out of the pocket and start sprinting out toward the sideline when he could of just stood strong in the pocket and delivered the ball. I almost never see Bradford flushed out of the pocket prematurely.

From everything I've seen and everything I've read, Bradford's poise and willingness to stand in the pocket is one of his strengths. As someone who's seen a lot of Big 12 football, I respect your opinion but I just don't think we're seeing the same things.

Splat
03-29-2010, 01:05 PM
http://blogs.nfl.com/2010/03/29/bradfords-pro-day-workout-leaves-crowd-in-awe/?campaign=nfl_fb

"It really was a treat to watch, and I think everyone here was in awe of Bradford’s performance. In fact, he put on the best quarterback workout by a draft prospect that I’ve seen since I watched a private workout Troy Aikman put on for us with the Cowboys in California." ~ Gil Brandt NFL.com

Scott Wright
03-29-2010, 01:05 PM
Everyone is raving about Bradford's performance, just like I predicted all along.

Top quarterbacks ALWAYS kill it at their individual workout. It's a finely-tuned script that they've been perfecting for months. I remember Gil Brandt absolutely gushing about Alex Smith's workout and calling it the best he had seen since Troy Aikman's too.

Scott Wright
03-29-2010, 01:06 PM
Just to clarify that isn't a knock on Gil Brandt, who I have nothing but the utmost respect for. I'm just saying this was expected and people shouldn't get carried away.

Morton
03-29-2010, 01:25 PM
So is Bradford to the Rams @ #1 pretty much a lock now?

TACKLE
03-29-2010, 01:28 PM
So is Bradford to the Rams @ #1 pretty much a lock now?

It's been a lock for a while now.

ninerfan
03-29-2010, 01:35 PM
The point is that today he passed the biggest exam of his life - how has his shoulder responded to surgery and can he return as good as pre injury. The answer is an outstanding yes.
Whether you like him a franchise QB or but a 2nd rounder is not important here, its did he show enough to confirm his play before being injured? You'd have to say that his workout today has confirmed that.

ThePudge
03-29-2010, 01:54 PM
Just to clarify that isn't a knock on Gil Brandt, who I have nothing but the utmost respect for. I'm just saying this was expected and people shouldn't get carried away.

Absolutely, it's what most people expected. A near lock at #1 Overall, Bradford reinforced everything we hoped with the health of his shoulder & his arm strength. I'm fairly sure teams like St. Louis/Washington/Cleveland/Seattle have him graded among the Top players on their board.

Clarkw267
03-29-2010, 02:02 PM
If anyone finds some video, I'd really like to see it.

After watching a bunch of OU in 2008, the one thing that stood out to me about Bradfords mechanics was the use (or lack there of) of his lower half. He often threw the ball flat footed, and didn't get good hip rotation. Still he got good velocity on his throws, showing that he has a naturally strong arm. If Shea has gotten him to stride properly, and snap his hips I think a lot of people are going to be shocked with how much zip some of his passes are going to have.

EndZoneDB
03-29-2010, 02:20 PM
Absolutely, it's what most people expected. A near lock at #1 Overall, Bradford reinforced everything we hoped with the health of his shoulder & his arm strength. I'm fairly sure teams like St. Louis/Washington/Cleveland/Seattle have him graded among the Top players on their board.

The way i look at it is, If a team like the Rams was considering him, then Bradford had more to lose today than he had to win.

To me, a QB has to take priority over a DT. If Bradford had a poor day, then that could have allowed the Rams to use this as a reason not to take him.

I think he solidified himself as the top QB and top pick, which he would have competed for last year against Stafford. Now, it will all come down to the Economics of it.

I bet he'll like throwing in the dome though!

Addict
03-29-2010, 02:36 PM

That's always the deal with pro days, especially with a QB, which is exactly what I was telling everyone when they were all "omg tim tebow is going to be in the first round!!!11!!" after the Florida pro day.

Anyway, now that he's actually thrown it should be clear he'll be #1.

V.I.P
03-29-2010, 02:37 PM
Hopefully the Lions take Okung or McCoy. :D

Addict
03-29-2010, 02:39 PM
Hopefully the Lions take Okung or McCoy. :D

FYI, Tampa's just as likely to take McCoy over Suh as Detroit is :P

proshoota25
03-29-2010, 02:53 PM
im more interested in seeing how jermaine gresham did....

BuddyCHRIST
03-29-2010, 02:57 PM
More important for him to show that he can actually throw after his surgery, but that said, thats the whole point of these pro days. To make the QB look amazing, and Bradford is the kind of passer who will excel in this type of setting.

With that said, this probably locks him up for the Rams. And I think its the right pick, they need a QB and I think he could do very well in a dome.

thetedginnshow
03-29-2010, 03:12 PM
Nice. Now I for sure don't have to see Suh in a Rams uniform.

ThePudge
03-29-2010, 03:22 PM
im more interested in seeing how jermaine gresham did....

Worked out at the first Pro Day Oklahoma held. I don't think he was there today.

proshoota25
03-29-2010, 03:23 PM
Worked out at the first Pro Day Oklahoma held. I don't think he was there today.

i know he caught passes from bradford today. read it in an article somewhere

Babylon
03-29-2010, 03:25 PM
The point is that today he passed the biggest exam of his life - how has his shoulder responded to surgery and can he return as good as pre injury. The answer is an outstanding yes.
Whether you like him a franchise QB or but a 2nd rounder is not important here, its did he show enough to confirm his play before being injured? You'd have to say that his workout today has confirmed that.

If you were a team looking for a guy who was able to throw the ball without pain and put some zip on it then yeah it sounds like he passed that test. If your a team that wants to see what he can do when some of his top blockers and receivers arent there and when he is under a pass rush then better rely on game film for that.

Addict
03-29-2010, 03:25 PM
i know he caught passes from bradford today. read it in an article somewhere

if so he did well I guess, with the ball not hitting the ground and all

SKim172
03-29-2010, 04:01 PM
At this point, the best thing Bradford has is that I don't believe in him.

I liked Brian Brohm and didn't like Matt Ryan. I liked Vince Young. I also didn't like Stafford or Sanchez.

So basically, Bradford's a HOF lock.

Babylon
03-29-2010, 04:05 PM

I liked Brian Brohm and didn't like Matt Ryan. I liked Vince Young. I also didn't like Stafford or Sanchez.

I could use your expertise down in Vegas.

contento
03-29-2010, 04:07 PM
Nice. Now I for sure don't have to see Suh in a Rams uniform.

haha, I was thinking something quite the opposite "Damn, now I have to see Suh in a Lions uniform twice a year"

irishbucsfan
03-29-2010, 04:50 PM
I don't care how he looked as long as the Rams take him.

CC.SD
03-29-2010, 04:58 PM

Liar no one liked Vince Young.

JFLO
03-29-2010, 05:09 PM
Does anyone else think Bradford is the riskiest pick in the draft? I mean there are guys like Dunlap, Griffen, Bryant or Mays, but I refuse to think anything positive about Bradford's "pocket poise" or ability to withstand pass rush until he sees it coming at him from an NFL level.

Don't get me wrong, if he can withstand that pass rush from a crappy offensive line for a year or two, then more power to him. But I'm having a feeling he's going to have a really hard time his first couple of years in St. Louis.

FUNBUNCHER
03-29-2010, 05:25 PM
Does anyone else think Bradford is the riskiest pick in the draft? I mean there are guys like Dunlap, Griffen, Bryant or Mays, but I refuse to think anything positive about Bradford's "pocket poise" or ability to withstand pass rush until he sees it coming at him from an NFL level.

Don't get me wrong, if he can withstand that pass rush from a crappy offensive line for a year or two, then more power to him. But I'm having a feeling he's going to have a really hard time his first couple of years in St. Louis.

I won't say Bradford is a high risk pick, I don't think he's going to wilt under pressure at the NFL level, but I wouldn't say he has a lot of experience dealing with adversity in the pocket.
That's why I wouldn't go so far as to call him a 'tough' QB because he was rarely ever touched when he threw the ball at OU.

When you watch some of Bradford's game highlights, it's amazing to see him casually stand tall deep in the pocket, survey the field before tossing the ball downfield, with no defenders in sight pressuring past the LOS.

It looks like Bradford is playing 7 on 7 sometimes.

I expect Bradford to be successful in the pros because I think his decision making and ability to identify secondary receivers, as well as superior accuracy, are all strengths in his game.

But playing behind OU's Oline for three years is nowhere near the same experience as playing behind ND's oline.

armageddon
03-29-2010, 05:27 PM
The Rams are building a very solid o-line

LT- Jason Smith ( going to be a beast )
LG- Jacob Bell ( very solid )
C- Jason Brown ( stud )
RG- John Greco ( young and solid )
RT- Alex Barron ( great pass blocker )

This line is way better than people think.

J-Mike88
03-29-2010, 05:33 PM
How often do you see blitzing linebackers, safeties, corners or DT/DEs smash into Quarterbacks during Pro Days?
Good point.
So to me, today was meaningless.
I knew Bradford could throw well, especially in that type of atmosphere.
I still don't know how many hits he can take on that fragile shoulder.
If I was a Rams fan, I'd be extremely concerned.

Thumper
03-29-2010, 05:47 PM

C- Jason Brown ( stud )

You are blinded. Brown is the only good player on that line. Smith has looked like a bust, Barron sucks nuts, Greco is a nobody and Bell is mediocre.

LonghornsLegend
03-29-2010, 05:52 PM
You are blinded. Brown is the only good player on that line. Smith has looked like a bust, Barron sucks nuts, Greco is a nobody and Bell is mediocre.

Yea ok. If a guy doesn't turn out like Michael Oher as a rookie he's a bust. Dude had a concussion, is young, and had the highest ceiling out of every LT in the draft, bust isn't a word I'd be throwing around for him.

That line is solid, they just need some more time together and a few more pieces which I hope they grab before rushing to play Bradford. I'd also want to look for a #1 WR eventually if I'm them, Avery is a great speed threat but brittle and not a #1 guy which sucks being that he was the 1st WR taken that year over DeSean Jackson.

Saints-Tigers
03-29-2010, 06:00 PM
I actually heard 1 ball was dropped.

Keep in mind, Alex Smith looked amazing at his pro day also. Still, looking great is better then looking subpar, this is a good step for Bradford though.

Pretty much all that needs to be said is right here.

Saints-Tigers
03-29-2010, 06:04 PM
Well anyway, Tampa is going to come out of this draft with a guy that will be terrorizing my team for the next 10 years. It's sad when you are hoping a rival gets Gerald ******* McCoy because you actually are more worried about other guys. FML :(

Thumper
03-29-2010, 06:09 PM
Yea ok. If a guy doesn't turn out like Michael Oher as a rookie he's a bust. Dude had a concussion, is young, and had the highest ceiling out of every LT in the draft, bust isn't a word I'd be throwing around for him.

That line is solid, they just need some more time together and a few more pieces which I hope they grab before rushing to play Bradford. I'd also want to look for a #1 WR eventually if I'm them, Avery is a great speed threat but brittle and not a #1 guy which sucks being that he was the 1st WR taken that year over DeSean Jackson.

I said looked like, I'm not saying he will be. Upside is there but he looked lost at times last season, he didn't look like a #2 pick at all. And I agree they need to build a line, but Barron and Greco suck and Bell is mediocrity at its best. Jason Brown is far and away the best player on that line and it isn't even close and that is both a compliment to Brown and a statement about the state of the Ram's line.

FUNBUNCHER
03-29-2010, 06:11 PM

C- Jason Brown ( stud )

Skins fan thinks that Oline, if you can keep them together for several more years, has potential to be better than solid.

We WISH we had that Oline in D.C.

Thumper
03-29-2010, 06:14 PM
Skins fan thinks that Oline, if you can keep them together for several more years, has potential to be better than solid.

We WISH we had that Oline in D.C.

Draft Okung, that would be a nice start.

San Diego Chicken
03-29-2010, 06:14 PM
Well anyway, Tampa is going to come out of this draft with a guy that will be terrorizing my team for the next 10 years. It's sad when you are hoping a rival gets Gerald ******* McCoy because you actually are more worried about other guys. FML :(

Look at the brightside, you still have that lovely silver trophy to look at, and you can rewind Super Bowl highlights all you want. Can't be too bad, eh?

LonghornsLegend
03-29-2010, 06:23 PM
I said looked like, I'm not saying he will be. Upside is there but he looked lost at times last season, he didn't look like a #2 pick at all. And I agree they need to build a line, but Barron and Greco suck and Bell is mediocrity at its best. Jason Brown is far and away the best player on that line and it isn't even close and that is both a compliment to Brown and a statement about the state of the Ram's line.

I fully agree on Brown, he was a beast in Baltimore and I'm sure they wished they could of kept him, but I do believe STL is doing well to build a solid line for the future depending on how long they can keep Brown. I hope they can find value for a G this year and protect their assett.

Smith just had alot of ups and downs. He was out from week 10-16, and he had a meniscus injury early on once he won the RT job. It was hard to really gauge him fairly as a rookie is all I'm saying, and he's still a more natural LT. It's just that he's still a mauler in the run game so they are trying to get him comfortable on the right side.

armageddon
03-29-2010, 06:32 PM
Barron is a great pass blocker. I saw a stat that ranked him in the top 5 for least amount of sacks againt. He rarely gets beat. And just think, if it wasn't for Bulger holding on to the ball FOREVER, he would be even better. The entire line would be better.

armageddon
03-29-2010, 06:36 PM
The Rams also signed a very good veteran Hank Fraley who could start at OG over Greco.

Ness
03-29-2010, 06:45 PM
I honestly haven't seen Bradford play that much, but from the time I did, I really liked his accuracy he put on the ball. Doesn't have as much starting experience as I would like to see out of a potential number one overall selection, but he seems like he has a good chance to be really productive. The most important thing like someone else said is that this was a good chance for Bradford to show everyone the status of his shoulder.

holt_bruce81
03-29-2010, 07:54 PM
Welcome to St. Louis Sam.

Stealing a quote I heard on the radio.....

He's probably going to St.Louis, He shouldn't of practiced throwing the ball 50 times, he should of practiced taking 50 hits by Defensive tackles and Defensive Ends.

wogitalia
03-29-2010, 11:48 PM
His motion looked pretty good from the footage I have seen, definitely looked better mechanically.

Still something about him that has me unsettled, not sure what it is though but his throwing looked better than it has in the past. Have to say it was a good workout for him.