PDA

View Full Version : Derrick Morgan: The Next Derrick Harvey?

J-Mike88
03-29-2010, 07:50 PM
Is Morgan a surer thing than Harvey & QG were 2 years ago for the Jaguars at the top of their draft?
If so, why?
Anyone else think he might have very limited impact like these 2 guys, and like DE Gaines Adams had before Tampa Bay gave up on him and sent him to the Bears ? (RIP Gaines)

Morgan: 6-4, 275 & highly touted
Harvey: 6-5, 281 & highly touted
Quintin Groves: 6-3, 260 & highly touted

I personally don't have a good feeling about Morgan.

RWills
03-29-2010, 08:10 PM
Harvey and Groves were not highly touted. I considered Harvey at reach where they got him and saw him more of a 12 -16 range. Wasn't high on Groves either.

CC.SD
03-29-2010, 08:11 PM
This thread exists primarily because they are both named Derrick.

DJC
03-29-2010, 08:23 PM
Brian Orakpo: 6-3, 263 & highly touted
Derrick Morgan: 6-3, 266 & highly touted

Let's book this man's ticket to the Pro Bowl now

coordinator0
03-29-2010, 08:30 PM
Morgan's physical abilities/playing style is nothing like Harvey's. I don't see the comparison at all, unless you're solely looking at the measurables (which is a terrible way to compare prospects).

J-Mike88
03-29-2010, 08:39 PM
Harvey and Groves were not highly touted. I considered Harvey at reach where they got him.... Wasn't high on Groves either.
So who here is on record saying Morgan will not disappoint if he's picked around #10?
I ask because I'm looking for people who have watched a lot of GT games as I have not. I only watched him closely against Iowa, when I lost money because I bet on Georgia Tech! Foolish. But I wasn't that impressed by Morgan.

Clarkw267
03-29-2010, 08:41 PM
I don't personally see Morgan being an impact pass rusher at the next level. He may develop into a solid overall DE, but won't be a perennial double digit sack guy.

SenorGato
03-29-2010, 08:45 PM
Brian Orakpo: 6-3, 263 & highly touted
Derrick Morgan: 6-3, 266 & highly touted

Let's book this man's ticket to the Pro Bowl now

Vernon Gholston...6'3 266...will Morgan challenge him as the biggest bust in the history of the game of football times ten?

JFLO
03-29-2010, 08:46 PM
This is like the third thread on Harvey/Morgan.

Morgan is not the same player as Derrick Harvey. He's 5x the run stopper that Harvey will ever be and also, IMO, is a better pass rusher. Morgan is more technical and also has 5x the motor that Harvey will ever have.

Malaka
03-29-2010, 09:02 PM
Harvey had more potential than Morgan does, but Morgan is a much surer thing than Harvey. Morgan reminds me of a mini Justin Tuck, he is an excellent run stopper and very versatile, not to mention he had 12 sacks this season. Can I guarantee Morgan will be worth where he is picked?.. I can't say but I can say he will be very solid in the league at worst, I do like him.

TheSlinger
03-29-2010, 09:02 PM
Posted this on the Jags forum but might as well post it here as well.

I really struggle to see similarities between Harvey and Morgan besides their first name. Morgan has a fantastic first step, plethora of pass rush moves and is just overall far more athletic. His workout numbers are right up there with JPP and Dunlap while Harvey was outrun to the sidelines by Matt Hasselbeck.

Morgan is not the same player as Derrick Harvey. He's 5x the run stopper that Harvey will ever be and also,

Whatever the rap on him was coming out, Harvey has turned into an excellent player against the run and I really don't see Morgan matching him in that.

JFLO
03-29-2010, 09:08 PM
Whatever the rap on him was coming out, Harvey has turned into an excellent player against the run and I really don't see Morgan matching him in that.

You couldn't be more wrong on that argument. Let's just say that Morgan for some reason, develops the same exact way that Harvey did, which is late bloomer in the NFL and will never reach full potential. Morgan would still be a better run defender than Harvey. Harvey was known as a decent, crafty pass rusher while in Gainesvile, but he couldn't stop the run consistently.

Fate holds the answer to this question, but Morgan is, like I said, 5x the run defender that Harvey will ever be at this stage of his career. I honestly can't believe that you would even compare Morgan and Harvey when it comes to stopping the run.

J-Mike88
03-29-2010, 09:21 PM
You couldn't be more wrong on that argument. Let's just say that Morgan for some reason, develops the same exact way that Harvey did, which is late bloomer in the NFL and will never reach full potential. Morgan would still be a better run defender than Harvey. Harvey was known as a decent, crafty pass rusher while in Gainesvile, but he couldn't stop the run consistently.

Fate holds the answer to this question, but Morgan is, like I said, 5x the run defender that Harvey will ever be at this stage of his career. I honestly can't believe that you would even compare Morgan and Harvey when it comes to stopping the run.True there, but I like to read what each of you guys have to say, being polar opposite opinions.
I wish I had gotten to see more of those guys play, but even those that watch all their games or film still make terrible errors in judgment quite often.

DeepThreat
03-29-2010, 09:22 PM
I see Morgan as being a solid but unspectacular defensive end. He'll be solid against the run and give you 5-8 sacks. Never really a true impact player, but a starter for a lot of years.

RaiderNation
03-30-2010, 01:24 AM
I cant see Morgan being a huge bust. He probably will never be the 12+ sack guy but he will likely be one of best well rounded DE's in the NFL

thebow305
03-30-2010, 01:26 AM
They are nothing alike IMO.

Thumper
03-30-2010, 01:28 AM
I don't think they're alike but I don't think Morgan will be a premier defensive end in the NFL, I think his ceiling is a good all around LE who could get 6-9 sacks a year. I think he drops a bit on draft day and I am 95% sure that JPP AND Brandon Graham go above him.

Caulibflower
03-30-2010, 03:36 AM
I actually just popped in here to burn some time while a video of Derrick Morgan buffers on Youtube. I keep seeing him go to the Seahawks in mocks and I decided I ought to take a look at him. I'll post my verdict in ten minutes, because then I will know everything there is to know about him, thanks to ProDraftParty. They put out good stuff.

Caulibflower
03-30-2010, 03:49 AM
I'm impressed. I admit I hadn't watched any film of him before. He looks both quick and powerful. He was powering through double teams for sacks, notably against Clemson, blew past more than a couple of tackles who couldn't latch onto him, looked solid in run support. In the clips of GT's bowl game against Iowa, he makes Bryan Bulaga look bad once, and there's another clip of him throwing their RT to the ground. Yeah, I'd take him at 14 for sure. I think I actually think more of him staying in the 4-3 than I would if I was projecting him as a 3-4 OLB, not just because I haven't seen him play linebacker, but because he looked totally dominant in the 4-3.

wogitalia
03-30-2010, 04:56 AM
Does anyone else see a bit of Aaron Kampman in him? I mean he basically doesn't have elite measurables, isn't a freak athlete but gets by with very solid technique and a great motor.

For what it's worth, that is the type of DE that I really like to draft, if they can have that and the freak measurables then that is nice but I'd rather motor and technique of athletic ability.

GhostDeini
03-30-2010, 06:08 AM
Overrated. Future bust.

the_dark_knight
03-30-2010, 06:52 AM
I see Morgan as being a solid but unspectacular defensive end. He'll be solid against the run and give you 5-8 sacks. Never really a true impact player, but a starter for a lot of years.

I agree here completely. 5-8 sacks every year, not the best pass rusher, but a hoss against the run and really will make your team better. He might have a couple double digit sack years, but he's going to boil down to a solid starter imo.

EndZoneDB
03-30-2010, 08:06 AM
I agree here completely. 5-8 sacks every year, not the best pass rusher, but a hoss against the run and really will make your team better. He might have a couple double digit sack years, but he's going to boil down to a solid starter imo.

I guess the point is... is that kind of production worthy of the #10 pick?

Honestly... I am a big fan of Morgan, but he was shut down against Iowa who ran all over them. (it wasn't just Bulaga either, Morgan was moved all over)

I just think if you are selecting a guy in the top 15 picks, then he should be a 10+ sack a year kind of player. You can get solid run guys (with marginal pass rush moves) in later rounds of the draft.

JFLO
03-30-2010, 08:07 AM
I personally think Morgan is going to be a great player at the next level. I'm not saying he's going to lead the league in sacks every year because that's not the player that he is. However, I think he'll manage to put up decent sack numbers.

I agree with the Aaron Kampman comparison. I think Kampman (when it's all said and done) will be a better pass rusher than Morgan, but the games are similar as well as the fantastic motor.

J-Mike88
03-30-2010, 08:37 AM
I personally think Morgan is going to be a great player at the next level. I'm not saying he's going to lead the league in sacks every year because that's not the player that he is.
Who does lead the league in sacks every year? Nobody is that player.
Merriman doesn't, Ware doesn't, Peppers doesn't, Harrison doesn't.

JFLO
03-30-2010, 08:44 AM
Who does lead the league in sacks every year? Nobody is that player.
Merriman doesn't, Ware doesn't, Peppers doesn't, Harrison doesn't.

Your took that comment way to literal...

Merriman (in his prime), Ware, Peppers, Jared Allen, etc. are all contenders to lead the league in sacks every year. Everyone knows that...

If this gives you the satisfaction, I meant that Morgan isn't going to get 13-18 sacks every year.

SenorGato
03-30-2010, 09:01 AM

+1

Also, all I've heard about Harvey since he's been drafted is that he sucks and that he can play the run.

Saints-Tigers
03-30-2010, 12:17 PM
Derrick Morgan is that guy that we call the safe pick every year and ends up being the bust.

Everyone that profiles as that "solid starter, but won't get 10+ sacks every year" ends up busting.

Complex
03-30-2010, 01:06 PM
Morgan reminds me of Justin Smith, so I agree with everyone that says he will be a solid starter.

mario
03-30-2010, 02:26 PM
I don't personally see Morgan being an impact pass rusher at the next level. He may develop into a solid overall DE, but won't be a perennial double digit sack guy.
This, i think he is a poor version of Patrick Kerney (in his prime)