PDA

View Full Version : Lindval Joseph or Lamarr Houston play 3-4 end?

kennyb
03-30-2010, 08:33 AM
do you think they could do it? Or is Joseph too slow and Houston too short?

Caddy
03-30-2010, 08:38 AM
Honestly I don't like either of those players at 3-4 end. Houston to me is a perfect under tackle in a 4-3 scheme and I really hope a team like Tampa or the Giants take him as he could really blossom. Joseph on the other hand I really like as a NT in a 3-4. Perhaps to Pittsburgh or San Diego.

Grizzlegom
03-30-2010, 08:42 AM
I don't think Houston is a good fit at the 3-4 end at all. I think Joseph has the ideal skill set for a 3-4 end but I fear that if he is taken by a 3-4 team other than Dallas, they will waste him as a NT.

EndZoneDB
03-30-2010, 08:47 AM
I don't think Houston is a good fit at the 3-4 end at all. I think Joseph has the ideal skill set for a 3-4 end but I fear that if he is taken by a 3-4 team other than Dallas, they will waste him as a NT.

I have heard similar things about Joseph. He is better as a penetrator, even though he is over 320 lbs. So he translates to an End in a 3-4, or a DT in a 4-3. I think he would be a similar player to Pat Williams. He has never been asked to play a position like the nose, so it will be interesting to see how teams view him.

I know a lot of Bills fans want Joseph for the nose, but thats because they just look at his weight... instead of looking at his strengths.

As for Houston, I personally think he is a great fit as an End in a 3-4 and wouldn't be surprised to see him go to a 3-4 team, or a Tampa 2 team as a DT.

scpanther22
03-30-2010, 08:48 AM
I hope Lamarr somehow he slips to the 3rd..He needs to stay in the 4-3

SenorGato
03-30-2010, 08:50 AM
Joseph can become a NT...he's the Anthony Montgomery/Sammie Lee Hill of this draft.

I'd take him over Houston for the Jets' D. Let him play 3-4 DE for a couple years and then go from there.

no bare feet
03-30-2010, 08:53 AM
Houston in the 4-3, Joseph in the 3-4. I think Joseph could be an end or NT. He is more of a penetrator but can take on multiple blockers. He could play UT, NT in a 4-3 as well.

thebow305
03-30-2010, 10:06 AM

Agreed about Joseph. He looks the part of a NT, but is an ideal 5 technique IMO.

mario
03-30-2010, 10:16 AM
I really LIKE Lamarr Houston. I've him as a 1st round talent (in my mock he is being drafted by the Colts at #31) and i'd love the Panthers draft him in the 2nd round to play the UT.

I really don't see why some of you have him in the 3rd round, no way IMHO.

And i agree, he's a DT in a 4-3 defense.

kennyb
03-30-2010, 10:20 AM
how about brandon deaderick? Forgot to ask about him. He'd be great at stacking, I think. And is about the right size for 3-4 end.

wicket
03-30-2010, 10:25 AM
Joseph is a really good fit as a 4-3 nose iyam, moreso than a 3-4 nose.

scpanther22
03-30-2010, 10:37 AM
The question is what team will reach for Joseph so he can play NT

LonghornsLegend
03-30-2010, 10:44 AM
I think Houston can play well in either defense. His best fit may be in a 4-3, but there are more then a handful of teams looking at him to play 3-4 End so it's not as out of the question as some here would make it seem. He's a solid 2nd rounder to me, and it depends on which team takes him 1st, but he's gotten strong interest from alot of 3-4 teams.

It's not like he doesn't have the size, he's probably heavier and stronger then Tyson Jackson was. He just wouldn't be your typical suck up 2 blockers, non penetrating DE, you'd be able to get creative with him and kick him out on passing formations.

Jakey
03-30-2010, 10:47 AM
Ive said this many times now...but Lamarr Houston is Ziggy Hood 2.0...is probably better suited in the 4-3, but is also very capable of playing the 5 technique in a 3-4. The Steelers drafted Hood in the first round last year, and if Houston was in that draft, he probably would have been a 1st rounder too.

TACKLE
03-30-2010, 11:39 AM
I think both are certainly capable of playing the 5-tech. Lamarr Houston is 6'3 300 ans is very athletic. He's strong enough at the point of attack but he's quick enough to be active rushing the passer. With that being the case he provides a lot of versatility because of his size and athleticism. I really like the Ziggy Hodd comparison Jakey made.

As for Linval Joseph, he could do it but it would depend on what team he landed with. Some teams prefer to have 3-4 DE's who do a lot of movement, slants and one gap penetrating for example the Cowboys and Cardinals. Some teams like their 5-techs to two gap. Joseph would be great in the situation. Although he''s getting discussed a lot as a NT prospect, Joseph is a very disruptive player in the backfield despite weighing at 320. He has the ability to penetrate but with his huge frame (6'5 328) and strength (39 Bench reps) he can obviously hold his ground. I'm actually really intrigued with his ability to play DE in a 3-4. In the right situation, he could be a beast.

Duffman57
03-30-2010, 04:19 PM
I agree with most of the posts. Joseph is a better penetrator, so IMO he is better off as a DE in the 3-4, while Houston isn't fit for the 3-4 whatsoever due to his struggles with holding up against Double's and that he has a ton of trouble getting off blocks.

brasho
03-31-2010, 08:19 AM
Houston spent his first 2 years as a DE for Texas and only the last 2 season as a DT. He was pretty productive in his last year as a DE before he went over to DT and had to learn yet another new position (he was a FB and LB in high school).

I think he would be an awesome UT in a 4-3 (he was nearly unblockable in the Natl Champ game) and I think he could do pretty well at a 3-4 DE. People might say that he has problems agains the double team-but that's inside against an OG and a OC, he would rarely face double teams as a 5-tech and when he did it would be against a weaker RT (than the OG) and a TE. I also think he could go back to LDE in the 4-3 and be effective. He is extremely agile and has a great motor-still I think his best fit is as an UT in the 4-3, I think he has far more potential than McCoy and his onfield performance pretty much bettered McCoy's in every instance (plus his mesaurables really dwarf McCoy's).

I hope that McCoy and Suh are gone by pick 3 so the Bucs are forced to trade down or go a different route so they can nab Houston in round 2.

brasho
03-31-2010, 08:20 AM
I agree with most of the posts. Joseph is a better penetrator, so IMO he is better off as a DE in the 3-4, while Houston isn't fit for the 3-4 whatsoever due to his struggles with holding up against Double's and that he has a ton of trouble getting off blocks.

Better penatrator than Houston? Go back and watch the Natl Champ game. The only guy in the backfield as much as Mark Ingram was Houston, he might not have made every tackle but he was disruptive and in on every play.

GoRavens
03-31-2010, 08:52 AM
I'd love either of these guys in Baltimore.
Joseph is a bigger run clogging NT
Houston can play DE in a 3-4 because he's so flipping versatile.

Duffman57
03-31-2010, 10:31 AM
Better penatrator than Houston? Go back and watch the Natl Champ game. The only guy in the backfield as much as Mark Ingram was Houston, he might not have made every tackle but he was disruptive and in on every play.

Nonononononono. Not what i was trying to say. What i was trying to say is that he is more of a penetrator than he is a run stopper. I'm comparing him to other parts of his game, not to anybody else.

villagewarrior
03-31-2010, 11:43 AM
I think Joseph has the tools to play a passable nose, but watching his film indicates he would be better utilized at end, I'm hoping the Chiefs take him in the mid rounds.

Texas Homer
03-31-2010, 02:45 PM
I think Houston could play either, but I like him better as a DT in a 4-3 right now.

M.O.T.H.
03-31-2010, 04:25 PM
Houston has drawn plenty of interest from 3-4 teams. The Broncos were noted as being very interested around the combine. The guy is Ziggy Hood 2.0, I like that one. I've been saying the same thing myself.

RaiderNation
03-31-2010, 05:17 PM
Joseph can play NT in a 3-4 and 4-3. Should go in the 3rd or 4th

SenorGato
03-31-2010, 05:20 PM
Ziggy Hood 2.0 kinda makes sense for Houston...he's a good DL that I underrate...I underrated Hood too despite knowing he was a solid player.