PDA

View Full Version : Best Fits for the Pack

RyanBraun8
03-30-2010, 11:07 PM
I didn't want to start a new Tread but figured it was the best option for this post because of length.

Here is my list of the players at each position I see as perfect fit for our team. I kept it realistic so no top notch players but more sleepers and guys I see that could really help this team out. It will be set up with the dream (idea) prospect, Next best thing, and Sleeper. Be aware that this isn’t based of ratings so you may see someone in the dream category who is rated much lower than a player in the next best thing category.

QB:
Dream: Dan LeFevour, Central Michigan, Projection 3-4 round
Why: Not only does he have idea size but his tangibles are great. In the Packers offense A-Rods ability to move out of the pocket and make plays helps the offense go around, LeFevour will gives us a backup option that will do the same. He is 6’3 230, 4.66 speed and does have an impressive arm. Not always on the mark but it is strong. He still needs to learn a pro style offense and it will take time but we have all the time in the world. He could even offer a little Wildcat if they want. Note he was a RB until CM moved him to QB because of his lively arm.
Next Best Thing: Tim Tebow, Florida, projected 2nd round
Why: For many of the same reasons as LeFevour. He has that amazing character and leadership also. Bit of a project but even if he fails at QB teams will still be willing to trade for him as a TE or H-Back.
Sleeper: Levi Brown, Troy, Projected 5-6th round
Why: He has a good arm, has the ability to scramble out of trouble. Not a burner or a treat like the first two but he is a prospect. I believe that you should draft a QB almost every like Wolf always did and you draft guys with projectable potential and I think he has that. He could become a very good backup and maybe a starter someday down the road.

RB
Dream: Scat Back: Dexter McCluster, Ole Miss, projected 2- 3rd round (most likely 2nd)
Dexter is such a mix of RB and WR scouts have no clue where to project him. Scott even has moved him around. He rushed for over 1000 yards and had over 500 yards receiving which is a very good total in college football for a WR let alone RB. He would give the Packers that homerun hitter out of the backfield whether it is running or receiving. Other Scat back options that will fit would be Spiller, Best, and McKnight. I like McCluster as best option.
Next Best Thing: Power back: Anthony Dixon Miss St. projected 3-4th round.
Every time I watch him I think Shone Greene. He offers a very physical style of football to go with the Slasher Grant. Not great timed speed but he can move pretty well. Think he’d be a perfect pick. Gerhart and Blount are the 2 other RB’s I think would fit well.
Sleeper: Deji Karim, Southern Illinois, projected 6-UDFA
This guy tests out as well as anyone. He has 4.37-4.42 speed, 43 inch vertical, 10 broad jump. He is built small (5’9 2’10) but is just a great athlete who may surprise some people. I think if he is sitting there late and we still haven’t picked up a RB, he would be a solid pick. LaMarcus Cocker is another sleeper

WR
Dream: Danario Alexander, Missouri, projected 5-6th round (Mike Williams also 6-7th)
WR is a position where we are pretty set at but we are still missing that Ruvell Martin 5TH WR. A big, tall guy who can stretch the field a little even if they don’t run perfect routes or have blazing speed. Jordy is our only big WR. Sure we have J-Mike but it never hurts to have some size. With that said I’d really like to see the oft injuried Danario Alexander. He is a big guy, may not be the fastest, the best route runner, but what he can do is match up against a nickel or dime back and stretch like Martin did. We don’t need more small passion WR, we need a big guy to stretch the field. I also dream to have the most character plagued player in the draft in Mike Williams. He has now fallen to a 6-7th round projection because of his crap load of problems but he don’t need him to step in and be a star. It would be a high reward investment…if he gets an attitude cut him. The fact is he does have elite talent, worth the risk of a 6th round pick
Next Best Thing: Marcus Easley, UConn, projected 5-6th round (Scott Lang also and Seyi Ajirotutu)
All these guys project around the same and you can see my direction with WR. None of these guys are seen as superstars or anything but are all big, athletic, can work down field and be quality 4th or 5th WR’s.
Sleeper: Terrell Hudgins, Elon, Projected 7-UDFA, Kelton Tindal, Newberry, 7-UDFA
My two favorite WR that I hope we sign as UDFA or draft in draft in the 7th: Hudgins is a massive powerful WR who is well worth the look. Similar to Simmons from Western Michigan last season. Hope he’d get a better look than Simmons did though. Tindal….6’3 200 lbs and runs a 4.25, enough said, perfect for a 5th WR.

TE
Dream: Dorin Dickerson Pittsburgh, projected 2-3 round
Why: For anyone who has watched the Packers will know they do tend to use TE’s as H-Backs a lot. They are in the backfield on the line, off set, and spread out. So if you are doing this why not bring in a guy who is a true H-back? He is a phenomenal athlete, could pretty much replace Kory Hall from the Offense. If Havner also continues to improve we don’t have to keep can’t catch Lee. I think Dorin fits the offense great and is one of those guys like McCluster that allows a coach to do so many different things offensively.
The Next Best Thing: Jermaine Gresham, Oklahoma 1st-2nd round
Why: Best Blocking TE and can catch….so that makes him light years ahead of Lee.
Sleeper: Clay Harbor, Mizzou St. projection 5th-6th round
Why: I think he has some solid attributes to work it. He has good TE speed, good size, strong, and can catch. I don’t see him as a number 1 TE but all we need is a #2 to blend with J-Mike.

OT
Dream: (Contribute right away) Trent Williams, Projected top 25, worst case scenario.
He is the only tackle I truly want in the first. He can come in and play right away at RT and be groomed as a LT.
Next Best Thing: (Project/Developmental) Justin Veldheer, Hillsdale, projection 2-3rd round
Why:I don’t think coming from a small school that he’d be able to jump in and play. He will take some time and until he is ready Lang will have to cover both OTs. He has the size and athletic ability to be a good LT in the NFL. Does have shorter arms for his size, only 33 .
Sleeper: Tony Washington, Abilene Christian, projected 2nd-UDFA
Why: Prior to find out about his deeply disturbing past (the taboo of nailing your own sister is just messed up) he was projected as a 2nd round pick with a lot of potential. So he does have that talent and that was a long time ago. TT was the first GM to really say he looks at everything and was considering Vick so maybe TT can over look his choice of sexual partners…I’ll be weirded out by the pick but if he plays well, I will be more than willing to drop it.

OG
Dream: Mike Iupati, Idaho, projection Top 25
Why: Is a mauler and would dramatically open up our running game. I think he is going to be a Pro-Bowl LG
Next Best Thing: Mike Johnson, Bama, projected 3rd-4th round
Why: He has been a huge factor in the Alabama offense the past 3 1/2 seasons, he is a all-american and fits the ZBS perfect. He gets the job done. I think he is much more of the kind of OL TT is looking for. He started out his career at OT opposite of Smith but they wisely moved him inside.
Sleeper: Matt McCracken, Richmond, projected 7th-UDFA
Why: Small school guys tend to catch TT’s eyes and have served him well. Matt was a D-1AA 2 time All-American for one of the best teams in the country. He started over 30 straight games.

C
Dream: Maurkice Pouncey Florida, projected 1st-2nd round
Why:He is clearly the best center in the draft and if needed could play guard. Enough said.
Next Best Thing: J.D. Walton, Baylor, projected 2nd-3rd round
Why: He has been a dominate player on a not so dominate team. Robert Griffen is really going to miss him next season and I think J.D could come in and play right away.
Sleeper: Kevin Matthews, Texas A&M, projected 6th-UDFA
Why: He is the son of one of the best interior lineman in NFL history not to forget that his Grandpa, Uncle, and Cousin all were/are really good players. He is the cousin of Clay Matthews, TT played with his dad and likes the family and like the rest of the family he is an extremely hard worker.

Defense
DE
Dream: Linval Joseph, East Carolina, projects 3rd- 4th round
Why: I personally really like Joesph and if we go DE at all I hope we go with him. He may be able to play some NT but I think DE is going to be his best position. He may be big but he still a decent athlete and very strong. 5.00 40, 39 bench reps.
Next Best Thing: Arthur Jones, Syracuse, project 3rd- 5th
Why: He had an injury that has dropped his stock a bunch but thougout his career he has been very good and would be a very good 3-4 DE in the NFL.
Sleeper: Jay Ross, East Carolina, projects 5th-6th round
Why: One of Joseph’s partner in crime at East Carolina. A little lower than Joseph but is more athletic and could turn out to surprise some people.

NT
We have Prickett and Raji outside of Williams and Cody no 34 NT’s really strike me.

OLB
Dream: Brandon Graham, Michigan, projected top 25
Why: He is a guy I have liked for awhile. He brings that power guy to go opposite of Matthews. His coverage will need to be worked on but I have no doubts about his pass rushing.
Next Best Thing: Koa Misi, Utah, projected 2-3rd round
Why: I think his style of play is similar to Matthews. He raised hell at the senior bowl with Graham. His production doesn’t quit match his skill set but has potential that Kevin Green may be able to bring out.
Sleeper: Arthur Moats, James Madison, Projected 4th-7th (hard to say)
Why: Small school guy who has a motor. He racked up 29.5 sacks in the past 3 seasons. He was a first team all-american and won the defensive line award for James Madison. He is not idea height at about 6’0 and he is about 250. I have read from other different sites that his stock has been rising.

MLB
Dream: Donald Butler, Washington, projected 2-3rd round
Why: He is in my opinion the second most well rounded MLB. He will be a very good pro, maybe never great or pro bowl but he will get the job done.
Next Best Thing: Brandon Spikes, Florida, projected 3-4th round
Why: If you over look the fact that OL can out run him he is pretty good in the middle. He has been the sole of the Florida’s defense for a few seasons now and plays hard. He will have a Hodge like drop in the draft maybe even to the 4th or 5th round but I still like the way he plays.
Sleeper: Boris Lee, Troy, projected 5th-7th round
Why: The guy is your typical Troy defender….he is a monster. He lacks idea size and speed but I could see him playing a lot like Bishop. A great player on special teams and may be a little spotty at MLB at times but at other times we may make you jaw drop with a huge play.

FS (Don’t really need one to bad with the Collins signing)
Dream: Nate Allen, USF, projected 1st-2nd round
Next Best Thing: Major Wright, Florida, projected 3-4th round
Sleeper: Robert Johnson, Utah, projected 5th-6th round

SS
Dream: (Blended) Morgan Burnett, Georgia Tech, projected 2nd round
Why: The dream would to be get Burnett or Thomas, these guys could play both FS and SS adding important depth or even rotation to keep them fresh. Burnett is a ball-hawk and also very physical. He will make some team very happy.
Next Best Thing: (True SS)Myron Rolle, Florida St., 4th-5th round
Why: The next option would be a true SS who is limited to that position. Myron Rolle is extremely bright and a great character guy but let’s not forget he is a pretty good SS. I doubt he will press Bigby for the job this season but will add needed depth and reliable backup. T.J. Ward out of Oregon is another kid I’d like to see.
Sleeper: Da’mon Cromartie-Smith, UTEP, projected 6-UDFA
Come on, his name looks like Da’man and he has the new best DB name in Cromartie (Woodson actually may still be a little better). His brother is also plays DL for the Lions. Now to him, he has good size at 6’2 210 ( use to play heavy than that). He also is extremely physical and a tackling machine. Because of how athletic he is and physical they often used him as an OLB in their defensive scheme.

CB
Dream: Chris Cook, Virginia, projects 2nd round
Why: Big, aggressive, athletic, what is there not to like. He is what I personally look for in a 3-4 CB. I am a fan bigger CB’s who are still really athletic and physical. The more physical the corner the better. You can’t have a guy who won’t step up and make a stop or get off blocks.
Next Best Thing: Akwasi Owusu Ansah, Indiania (PA) projected 2nd-3rd round
Why: I love small school prospects and this guy has size, speed, ball skills and many other tangibles. I have only been able to watch a highlight reel but it was a very good one.
Sleeper: Myron Lewis, Vanderbilt, projected 4th-5th
Why: He is still maybe my favorite CB is the draft. He is a poor mans Woodson in my mind, Not near the level as Woodson but size and the way he plays. He can blitz off the corner, make a stop at the line, play some safety if needed, would be a good zone corner. With a few years behind Woodson he could really develop into a really nice player.

What you all think?

princefielder28
03-30-2010, 11:45 PM
LeFevour and Chris Cook <3

Donald Butler doesn't really fit in a 3-4 but I love him as a prospect

RyanBraun8
03-30-2010, 11:56 PM
LeFevour and Chris Cook <3

Donald Butler doesn't really fit in a 3-4 but I love him as a prospect

I was debating over that actually. I just like Butler so much as a player I figured he'd be able to adjust to it.

princefielder28
03-31-2010, 12:04 AM
I was debating over that actually. I just like Butler so much as a player I figured he'd be able to adjust to it.

One of his weaknesses is taking on blockers and that's a demanding part of the 3-4 inside so it just doesn't fit. If he could adjust to it then it'd be heaven but I don't know if he can.

RyanBraun8
03-31-2010, 12:21 AM
The guys I most would want to see be Packers come draft day are:

QB Dan LeFevour
HB Dexter McCluster
TE Dorin Dickerson
LT Trent Williams/Justin Veldheer
S Morgan Burnett
OLB Brandon Graham
CB Chris Cook

I bet of bunch of people don't get the Dickerson pick because they are more focused on another block TE but I look at this offense and I see so many ways they could use him to create mismatches. You can shift him everywhere. The more weapons the better. MM has a real nice offense and he knows how to find mismatches...It would be a good fit.

At that note, if we have both McCluster and Dickerson to go with Rodgers, Jennings, Driver, J-Mike, Grant... MM will have more weapons than he knows what to do with and I will feel bad for opposing defenses.

RyanBraun8
03-31-2010, 12:24 AM
One of his weaknesses is taking on blockers and that's a demanding part of the 3-4 inside so it just doesn't fit. If he could adjust to it then it'd be heaven but I don't know if he can.

Yeah it would, the main guy I was going to put there was Weatherspoon but I had a feeling he'd be gone already. Some don't think he fits eighter but from watching him, he does a great job taking on blocks at the point of attack.

J-Mike88
03-31-2010, 10:32 AM
Good write-up rb8.
I'd love to take one of those sleeper WR's in the 6th or 7th round, maybe find ourselves another Donald Driver or Marques Colston.
I wonder what the status of Brett Swain is because he was fantastic on special teams and I think that's now what they want more from a 5th WR.

They don't plan to use our old 5-wide set anymore with Jermichael such a stud and mismatch at the TE position and with our shaky OL at times, we need a back there to help keep Rodgers upright.

But pretty soon our health-luck is going to run out and we're going to need someone to replace Driver or Jennings for some games. They can't always stay healthy, so a good 5th WR is a good call.

RyanBraun8
03-31-2010, 11:53 AM
Good write-up rb8.
I'd love to take one of those sleeper WR's in the 6th or 7th round, maybe find ourselves another Donald Driver or Marques Colston.
I wonder what the status of Brett Swain is because he was fantastic on special teams and I think that's now what they want more from a 5th WR.

They don't plan to use our old 5-wide set anymore with Jermichael such a stud and mismatch at the TE position and with our shaky OL at times, we need a back there to help keep Rodgers upright.

But pretty soon our health-luck is going to run out and we're going to need someone to replace Driver or Jennings for some games. They can't always stay healthy, so a good 5th WR is a good call.

Yeah that is the problem if Dorin was to take Hall's sport as an HBack/FB and someone else to replace Swain...we have one of the worst special teams out here and we'd be losing 2 of our better ones.

I really think Kelton Tindal is well worth a look even if he struggles to run routes and drops passes (all out guys drop passes also) If you have that kind of size (6'3 195) and al reports have claimed that he runs consistantly in the 4.25-4.30 range, draft him, have Jennings and Driver take him under their wings and help to groom him. I could see him as a late rounder who in a few years will surprise some people.

J-Mike88
03-31-2010, 06:10 PM
Yeah that is the problem if Dorin was to take Hall's sport as an HBack/FB and someone else to replace Swain...we have one of the worst special teams out here and we'd be losing 2 of our better ones.
That part really, really is critical.
I remember the last few years, when discussing his picks, Teddy specifically mentioned this player and that player's special teams ability was a big factor in drafting him.

Yet despite that, and despite different special teams coaches, our special teams is still closer to the Special Olympics than NFL-ready.
Something's not right there, in the coverage units and the return blocking. Scheme, talent, or execution, I can't tell what's more to blame, without game films. But something is way way off there.

(It's nice to see some football discussion instead of childish defensive personal attacks. That's what it's supposed to be about. Someone needs to buy cvv some candy or bubble gum.)

J-Mike88
03-31-2010, 06:10 PM
I really think Kelton Tindal is well worth a look even if he struggles to run routes and drops passes (all out guys drop passes also) If you have that kind of size (6'3 195) and al reports have claimed that he runs consistantly in the 4.25-4.30 range, draft him, have Jennings and Driver take him under their wings and help to groom him.
Do you have any highlights of him anywhere bookmarked for us?