PDA

View Full Version : Is Terrence Cody worth a top 10 pick?

Morton
03-30-2010, 11:57 PM
I'm just curious, what do you guys think of Cody being picked in the top 10 by a 3-4 team needing a NT?

Is he worth it or would it be a reach?

SenorGato
03-31-2010, 12:04 AM
I think the Bills could do it if they didn't get who they want at OT or I guess QB....or Bryant.

I also think the Jaguars would pull the trigger too...I think there's the outside shot he goes in the top 12, but I'm really holding out that he falls to 29.

Clarkw267
03-31-2010, 12:24 AM
Quite frankly.. I don't think so.

His weight and conditioning are too much of a red flag to sink that kind of money into him.

Also he's basically just a one dimensional 2 down player. If all you want is a big guy to take up blockers, take Cam Thomas or Linval Joseph later in the draft.

If you want to spend a high pick on a NT, take Dan Williams.

Cody is a mid to late 2nd rounder to me, I wouldn't want my team considering him before that.

Rosebud
03-31-2010, 12:28 AM
Hell the **** no he isn't. If any GM is dumb enough to take that big of a risk and give a kid like this that much money up front he'll deserve losing his job.

If a team absolutely has to get a NT in the top ten Dan Williams is available and much safer with wonderful upside himself.

Thumper
03-31-2010, 12:30 AM
I would say it would be big reach but it would certainly be worth it to a team that needs a NT. As far as run stuffers go I can't remember seeing a better one, Cody takes at least 2 players to move him out in the run game and he could definitely anchor a 3-4 defense for a long time and have the same impact as a Vince Wilfork, Casey Hampton, Dan Washington or Kris Jenkins.

wordofi
03-31-2010, 12:39 AM
I'm just curious, what do you guys think of Cody being picked in the top 10 by a 3-4 team needing a NT?

I think it's a waste of a draft pick. I wouldn't have him on my draft board. His weight problems really concern me.

akvikefan89
03-31-2010, 01:31 AM
We heard the same weight issue/conditioning slams on Andre Smith, but he still went top-10. Now, LTs are more premier positions than NTs, etc. But I think some 3-4 team will take him higher than most people expect...

Rosebud
03-31-2010, 01:36 AM
We heard the same weight issue/conditioning slams on Andre Smith, but he still went top-10. Now, LTs are more premier positions than NTs, etc. But I think some 3-4 team will take him higher than most people expect...

Andre Smith was also way more dominant on the field and didn't have to be a rotational player. But if you want to play this game we also heard these same concerns with Gabe Watson and Alan Branch and they fell from potential top ten picks to 4th rounders.

LonghornsLegend
03-31-2010, 02:11 AM
Casey Hampton shows up every year in August the same way; fat, out of shape, slow, all the same things that people say about Cody everytime his name is brought up.

Yet for some reason it's not a big deal for Hampton, but for Cody it's the hugest knock ever, I don't get it. And it's not like this happened once for Hampton, this is a reoccuring theme. Cody will always be fat.

akvikefan89
03-31-2010, 02:55 AM
Andre Smith was also way more dominant on the field and didn't have to be a rotational player. But if you want to play this game we also heard these same concerns with Gabe Watson and Alan Branch and they fell from potential top ten picks to 4th rounders.

I'm not saying one way or the other whether he'll go top-10, I actually wouldn't take him top-10, or top-20 for that matter. But too many people just focus on his weight and conditioning problems, which is why I point out Andre Smith.

Clarkw267
03-31-2010, 03:08 AM

Exactly.. Andre Smith's lack of conditioning cost him millions of dollars. You put Andre Smith's game tape in Jason Smith's, or actually any OL in decent shape's body, and you have yourself the #1 overall pick of the 09 draft.

Cody is not that good of a player. People like the big name, and the Bama program, but he's not that talented. He's not as talented as Jamaal Williams. Would you take him top 10?

evenar
03-31-2010, 04:37 AM
Terrence Cody will show up fat to training camp every year, much like Casey Hampton. He won't get to the quarterback more than maybe once a year, but Jamal Williams has the grand total of 13 sacks over 12 seasons. He is a premier space eater in the middle as a 3-4, and I'd MUCH rather have a producing player like him over a workout warrior like Cam Thomas. He is a strong 2nd round prospect, because of the weight issues, but I think he will be successful in the NFL. A 3-4 team COULD have him very high on their big board, but to be top 10 he have to be over Dan Williams, and I don't think that will happen. I see him go of the board late 1st/early second, and having a successful career.

PossibleCabbage
03-31-2010, 05:01 AM
Casey Hampton shows up every year in August the same way; fat, out of shape, slow, all the same things that people say about Cody everytime his name is brought up.

Yet for some reason it's not a big deal for Hampton, but for Cody it's the hugest knock ever, I don't get it. And it's not like this happened once for Hampton, this is a reoccuring theme. Cody will always be fat.

The key difference is that Hampton has demonstrated that he can play in the A-gap in the NFL at a high level. Guys who know the position well can sacrifice speed and burst for bulk and power, and get by with their ability to stack, shift, and find the ball. But for young NTs, ultimately until they've demonstrated that they have NFL blocking schemes figured out and they have a good nose for the ball, have to get by on explosive push upfront. It's no good to be an immovable object, if you're unable to move to the ball.

Remember, in the 3-4 defense the NT is lined up right with his hat on the center, so he's not in position to keep the G's from getting to the second level, if they choose not to block him. To be effective, in case he's left alone on the C, a 3-4 NT needs to be able to either blow up the center to such a degree that the NT can make a play in the backfield or alternatively shift laterally well enough to get in the way of a play that is not ran right at him. Young guys do the former, and veterans do the latter. But Cody is not a sufficiently explosive athlete to be anything more than a "defensive blocker" for the most part; as, in any play that's not run right at him, he probably wouldn't be able to make the play if unblocked unless it's an especially slow developing play (i.e. you don't even need to bother to block him on 5-step drops or outside runs).

Now, get him into an NFL coaching program, bring him along slow, and have him learn the position and he could grow into a great NT, but he's not going to start out as one. Impact player in 4 years? Sure, but impact player in his first couple? Absolutely not.

That being said though, he's much closer to ready if you ask him to play the nose in the 4-3, which is a much simpler position to play. That's not really as much of a key position in the 4-3, although a great one can really be the lynch pin of your defense (c.f. Pat Williams) if paired with a good UT.

vidae
03-31-2010, 05:25 AM
Cody going top 10 would be a gigantic mistake. Earliest I could see him going is around 25 but I think he is, at best, a solid second round prospect.

zachsaints52
03-31-2010, 07:25 AM

I don't know how more dominant a NT has to be besides taking on 2-3 guys a play, which he does every play. But to answer the question, unless your only need to switch to a 3-4 is the NT, you shouldn't pick him.

brasho
03-31-2010, 08:48 AM

Would you base your entire reputation and career on the incredibly fat and undisciplined back of a guy that has never been able to get his weight under control that you've thrown millions of dollars at? Cody is essentiallly guaranteed to put on 30-50 lbs going into his 2nd season and to be an annual headache to keep in shape... all that for a 2 down run stopper in a pass first league? Bottom of the 1st at best and only for a team that thinks they can work miracles... this guy will eat himself out of the league in 5 seasons.

GoRavens
03-31-2010, 08:51 AM
I'm not sold on him being a first rounder at all.
He's fat and lazy.

eagles6606
03-31-2010, 09:06 AM
Cody is a solid second round pick. He does have his weight issues, but what good nose tackle doesn't? Cody can't get to the QB, but that is not his game. Even a the Senior Bowl (when he was out of shape) Cody could not be moved off the ball and obviosly took up plenty of space. As long as Cody gets the right coach who pushes him, he should end up being a fantastic nose tackle and a steal in round 2.

Splat
03-31-2010, 09:21 AM
I'm still thinking late first early second.

Grizzlegom
03-31-2010, 09:37 AM
top 10? No. Top 20? I believe so. He is the best 3-4 NT in this draft IMO and if a team like Miami, Denver, or Buffalo traded back to the late teens (perhaps with Pitt moving up for Haden), I wouldn't question any of them for selecting Cody there. When it's all said and done, I feel he will wind up in the first round, how high will depend on how draft day goes.

GoRavens
03-31-2010, 09:46 AM
I don't think he goes in the first round at all.
Teams can always find big fat NTs with no work ethic in free agency.
I don't see a team in the first (with a need @ DT) taking such a risk on Cody.
To me, he's a second round guy.

Rosebud
03-31-2010, 10:13 AM
I don't know how more dominant a NT has to be besides taking on 2-3 guys a play, which he does every play. But to answer the question, unless your only need to switch to a 3-4 is the NT, you shouldn't pick him.

Not having to rest for entire series would be a start, learning how to use his hands to handle blockers rather than just his immense size would be another, the kid has monster potential, but he still needs work and the motivational questions are pressing, especially when you're talking about giving a kid as much guaranteed money as a top ten pick gets. If he falls not only does he not have that upfront money to make him lazy but he's also got the additional motivation of being passed on because of his weight. I think it's in everyone's interest for him to be a late first/early second round pick.

Cicero
03-31-2010, 10:23 AM
To me, he's not worth a first round pick, so to this question hell no.

K Train
03-31-2010, 11:09 AM
everyones infatuation with dan williams as a 34 NT is amazing....cody is hands down the better NT prospect, williams would be much better in a 43 and 43 teams wont even look at cody.

cody going to the ravens terrifies me, potentially one of the best dlines ever with cody taking up so much space and ngata just being a master of the position and dominating

EndZoneDB
03-31-2010, 12:49 PM
The problem with drafting a DT in the top 10 is you would want them to be an everydown player.

Cody is strictly a 2 down player/short yardage and goal line.

Not exactly what you want from a top 10 pick.

I saw somewhere a breakdown of plays he was in on, versus the total number of plays for the Alabama defense. He was barely on the field for 50% of the time.

He needs to be rotated, and to me, that makes him at best a second rounder, but because NT is so hard to fill, he might make it to the bottom of the first.

jetsfan0099
03-31-2010, 12:56 PM
Mayock said that GMs rate Cody as a 2nd round talent, if he goes top 10 I'll be surprised. Hes a 2 down linemen with little athletic ability.

K Train
03-31-2010, 12:58 PM
thats a misleading stat....he wasnt used as a true NT in a saban 34....at least not on a consistent basis. he will be an anchor in the pros, in college he was effective at freeing up LBs and a run stuffer, which will be his job in the pros, but they also like speed in the SEC and when bama starts beating teams and making them throw (ala texas in the NC) theres no need for cody when its an obvious passing down....outside of that hes a stud and an immovable man

jetsfan0099
03-31-2010, 01:02 PM
For someone so immovable I saw him get driven off the ball like 5-6 yards by a OL from UF, I'm not sure if it was Pouncey or not.

Put someone like Nick Mangold against Cody, he'll show that lard a thing or 2.

wordofi
03-31-2010, 01:12 PM
For someone so immovable I saw him get driven off the ball like 5-6 yards by a OL from UF, I'm not sure if it was Pouncey or not.

Put someone like Nick Mangold against Cody, he'll show that lard a thing or 2.

I absolutely agree. Cody won't be able to get by on his strength alone at the next level. Also, his lack of mobility is a major concern. How is he going to be able to shed blocks and make the tackles against running backs who hit the hole faster in the NFL.

EndZoneDB
03-31-2010, 01:15 PM
thats a misleading stat....he wasnt used as a true NT in a saban 34....at least not on a consistent basis. he will be an anchor in the pros, in college he was effective at freeing up LBs and a run stuffer, which will be his job in the pros, but they also like speed in the SEC and when bama starts beating teams and making them throw (ala texas in the NC) theres no need for cody when its an obvious passing down....outside of that hes a stud and an immovable man

This helps prove the point. As soon as teams start passing he gets pulled off the field... cause he has no pass rush ability.

The NFL is a passing league, so this is another reason he shouldn't be rated as a first round player. A first round player should have all around talents, or at least a projection to be that.

From what i have seen has virtually no pass rush ability.

Maybe it's just my own bias, hoping (albeit unlikely) that be falls to #41 to the Bills.

SenorGato
03-31-2010, 05:19 PM
everyones infatuation with dan williams as a 34 NT is amazing....cody is hands down the better NT prospect, williams would be much better in a 43 and 43 teams wont even look at cody.

cody going to the ravens terrifies me, potentially one of the best dlines ever with cody taking up so much space and ngata just being a master of the position and dominating

Oh wow...someone daring to say something not entirely positive about Dan Williams?

I agree with your viewpoint on Williams...You know where he'd work out well? In Houston or in Indianapolis...I bet the Colts are dying for him to fall there (if the Colts are dying for anyone, ever). If not Minnesota's going to take him...

Cody blows him away as a 3-4 DL prospect in general...stuns me how underrated he's become. Don't get where the "he's not athletic" thing came from (actually, I do...I learned 40 times are really that close to gold to fans)...this is a 350 pound man who play DE, DT, NT, and FB in college while also adding his contributions to ST...if that's not an athlete/football player then I don't know what is.

LonghornsLegend
03-31-2010, 05:40 PM
The key difference is that Hampton has demonstrated that he can play in the A-gap in the NFL at a high level.

That's not the point. For all intents and purposes Cody can be an awesome NT in the 3-4 just the same because of what he'll be asked to do, but people always bring up him being fat and out of shape as if this makes Hampton a worse player.

Why are those 2 things such a huge knock for Cody when Hampton has been fat and out of shape for as long as I can remember, he's been kicked out of off season conditioning programs, and held out of all kinds of off season workouts due to reporting back in terrible shape.

Yet when September comes you cannot move him in the middle, and need 2-3 people to control him, the same thing that's always been true for Cody. People act like Cody is a MLB or something, this isn't a fashion contest, lots of NT are fat as hell and out of shape constantly, I hardly see that as a huge red flag for the position he plays and what he'll be asked to do.

lee06
03-31-2010, 06:18 PM
I wouldn't even think about him until the 2nd round.

MetSox17
03-31-2010, 06:26 PM
That's not the point. For all intents and purposes Cody can be an awesome NT in the 3-4 just the same because of what he'll be asked to do, but people always bring up him being fat and out of shape as if this makes Hampton a worse player.

Why are those 2 things such a huge knock for Cody when Hampton has been fat and out of shape for as long as I can remember, he's been kicked out of off season conditioning programs, and held out of all kinds of off season workouts due to reporting back in terrible shape.

Yet when September comes you cannot move him in the middle, and need 2-3 people to control him, the same thing that's always been true for Cody. People act like Cody is a MLB or something, this isn't a fashion contest, lots of NT are fat as hell and out of shape constantly, I hardly see that as a huge red flag for the position he plays and what he'll be asked to do.

The difference is that Cody is no where near as dominant as Hampton once was. People like to talk about him like if he eats blockers every time he's out there, and that's simply not true. This perception of him has been created that when he's out there he takes control of the game, and dominates the way a guy his size is supposed to, but it doesn't happen.

jetsfan0099
03-31-2010, 06:59 PM
Casey Hampton doesn't have man boobs like Cody has.
http://www.whodeyfans.com/uploaded_images/bs-708874.jpg

http://larrybrownsports.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/01/terrence-cody-fat.jpg

And its not the 40-time with Cody not being athletic, that was a given that he was going to run slow with how fat he is. I can see from watching him play that hes not overly athletic, he has a slow burst off the line and has a hard time moving. Other NTs in the NFL the good ones have good bursts and can blow plays up behind the line when singled blocked. When Cody does get into the backfield he never gets the guy as the RB or QB out runs him to ease.

I'm just not sold on Cody, I see him as a 2nd round talent at best. Sure I was interested when I heard about a NT prospect with great size, but then I watched him play and came away very unimpressed.