PDA

View Full Version : Matt Barkley, QB, USC

dregolll
03-31-2010, 11:16 AM
I know we have a lot of scouts that are on this website, so I would like to get an early start on my scouting for the upcoming drafts down the road. Matt Barkley in particaliar has caught my eye. In my opinion, he has everything you look for in a great QB. His body is already developed for the pro game and he has a great arm with perfect mechanics. I think he will be the best QB prospect to come out of school since Peyton Manning. I think he is that good, he really reminds me of Troy Aikman, he has the look of a future #1 overall pick. I'm I just overreacting. Feedback Please.

MiWolves
03-31-2010, 11:21 AM
Wait until he shows what he can do in his sophomore season..

wicket
03-31-2010, 11:23 AM
the kid played one season, two years to go before he is even drafteligeble, not even worth discussing yet

JFLO
03-31-2010, 11:28 AM
It's definitely worth discussing, otherwise we wouldn't be in a draft forum...right?

I like Andrew Luck above Barkley as of this point, but it's going to very interesting to see how Barkley does with Kiffin rather than Carroll.

dregolll
03-31-2010, 11:29 AM
Why is it not discussable, Sam Bradford was a freshman and so was Matt Stafford, yet many predicted after their freshmen years that they would be top prospects. It's never to earlier to discuss. Thank You

wicket
03-31-2010, 11:33 AM
Why is it not discussable, Sam Bradford was a freshman and so was Matt Stafford, yet many predicted after their freshmen years that they would be top prospects. It's never to earlier to discuss. Thank You

bradford was discussed at the end of his redshirt freshman season making him comparable to jake locker at this moment since he is just 1 draft removed (although in the end he decided to return for another season). Stafford was only starting to get extensively discussed at the end of his sophomore season.

So basicly no it was not discussed as early as you claim. come back in a year with the same thread

vikes_28
03-31-2010, 11:37 AM
RC3 is that you?

villagewarrior
03-31-2010, 11:39 AM
I know we have a lot of scouts that are on this website, so I would like to get an early start on my scouting for the upcoming drafts down the road. Matt Barkley in particaliar has caught my eye. In my opinion, he has everything you look for in a great QB. His body is already developed for the pro game and he has a great arm with perfect mechanics. I think he will be the best QB prospect to come out of school since Peyton Manning. I think he is that good, he really reminds me of Troy Aikman, he has the look of a future #1 overall pick. I'm I just overreacting. Feedback Please.

Perfect mechanics? I know he played well as a true freshman, but no freshman has perfect mechanics. This thread will be better in a year or two.

dregolll
03-31-2010, 11:44 AM
bradford was discussed at the end of his redshirt freshman season making him comparable to jake locker at this moment since he is just 1 draft removed (although in the end he decided to return for another season). Stafford was only starting to get extensively discussed at the end of his sophomore season.

So basicly no it was not discussed as early as you claim. come back in a year with the same thread

So Mel Kiper didn't predict that Stafford would not be the #1 overall pick while he was in highschool?

JFLO
03-31-2010, 12:09 PM

prospects are scouted as soon as they step on to the field as a freshman, including Barkley, especially considering the fact he was so highly touted coming out of High School.

Sam Bradford most likely wasn't highly scouted because he was only a 3 or 4* prospect and stepped onto the field after the suspension of Rhett Bomar. Personally, I think if Bomar hadn't been suspended, he would have been a 1st round pick this year or last year.

Ronald Powell is going to be scouted from the first time he jumps off the snap in Gainesville.

It just depends on how highly touted you are coming out as a Senior in high school.

JFLO
03-31-2010, 12:10 PM
So Mel Kiper didn't predict that Stafford would not be the #1 overall pick while he was in highschool?

This is true Wicket. Kiper was all over Staffords junk as soon as Stafford signed with Georgia.

Babylon
03-31-2010, 12:32 PM

Has to be the frontrunner for the 2012 draft as of now but that's a ways off. When you look at his background and ability you can make the claim that he is about where Matt Stafford was at this time in terms of play and talent. He could probably be an inch or two taller and a little more mobile but he's the best not draft eligible QB out there to me.

wicket
03-31-2010, 12:34 PM
yeah but there is a difference between pro scouts and people talking about it. we dont look at gametape second to second

descendency
03-31-2010, 12:54 PM
It's definitely worth discussing, otherwise we wouldn't be in a draft forum...right?

Um, no it isn't. The kid played 1 year in college. He has to wait at minimum wait another 2 years. A lot could happen in 2 years.

It's ok to discuss him, but he's a college player on a college team with no (not even close) immediacy to his draft eligibility. He's better discussed in the college forums.

Wait until people have seen him 2 years at least.

JFLO
03-31-2010, 12:57 PM
Um, no it isn't. The kid played 1 year in college. He has to wait at minimum wait another 2 years. A lot could happen in 2 years.

It's ok to discuss him, but he's a college player on a college team with no (not even close) immediacy to his draft eligibility. He's better discussed in the college forums.

Wait until people have seen him 2 years at least.

So your in a NFL Draft forum that discusses college football prospects to possibly go to the next level professionally? And it's wrong to discuss a possible prospect?

Sorry, forgot about that irony.

descendency
03-31-2010, 01:01 PM
So your in a NFL Draft forum that discusses college football prospects to possibly go to the next level professionally? And it's wrong to discuss a possible prospect?

Sorry, forgot about that irony.

There is a reason why people play 3 years of college football. I'm just saying don't judge him as an NFL prospect before he has his chance to play 2 of those years. This is how prospects get good/bad names they don't really deserve.

Think about Tim Tebow (yea... I'm sorry, but it proves a point) some people have taken it to an extreme because of all of the talk about him.

JFLO
03-31-2010, 01:04 PM
I think the only thing that matters is that scouts look at players from their freshman year, whether it's from a Point A to Point B standpoint of development or just to look at them as a potential player at the next level.

Halsey
03-31-2010, 01:10 PM
Iv'e heard Barkley has similar physical tools to Stafford, but I don't know for sure how true that is. The fact that he was pretty much recruited by everry major school and won the starting QB job at USC as a true freshman are good signs for his future as a prospect.

49erNation85
03-31-2010, 01:15 PM
There is a reason why people play 3 years of college football. I'm just saying don't judge him as an NFL prospect before he has his chance to play 2 of those years. This is how prospects get good/bad names they don't really deserve.

Think about Tim Tebow (yea... I'm sorry, but it proves a point) some people have taken it to an extreme because of all of the talk about him.

Um I thought Tebow played 3 years at UF am I not mistaken ? He also won a Heisman Trophy (sophomore ) 1 National champs , 2 sec champs . So yea it does take at least 3 years to really no a NFL prospect on any position .

Complex
03-31-2010, 01:55 PM
Um I thought Tebow played 3 years at UF am I not mistaken ? He also won a Heisman Trophy (sophomore ) 3 National champs , 2 sec champs . So yea it does take at least 3 years to really no a NFL prospect on any position .

lol he won 1 national championship and Chris Leak won the other one, the third one never happen....

wicket
03-31-2010, 01:56 PM
lol he won 1 national championship and Chris Leak won the other one, the third one never happen....

didnt you hear, timmy was the starting point guard in the NC run of florida as well

descendency
03-31-2010, 02:00 PM
Um I thought Tebow played 3 years at UF am I not mistaken ? He also won a Heisman Trophy (sophomore ) 3 National champs , 2 sec champs . So yea it does take at least 3 years to really no a NFL prospect on any position .

you completely missed the point. I mean, that because of all of the talk about him, people have developed strong feelings about him on both sides. Most of them are completely unwarranted hyperbole.

SKim172
03-31-2010, 02:27 PM
Nothing wrong with bringing it up, but it is a little weird to be doing it two weeks before the draft. There's nothing wrong with the news featuring a story on your cat Bubbles who just loves to eat strawberries, but it would be weird if they did it the day after the Kennedy assassination.

So, not wrong, just weird.

And since it's at least two years away and nobody knows nothing no-how about that draft class, I'ma pull out my own homer cap and say "Aint no Matt Barkeley gonna be first, because he's gonna be Savage'd!"

As in Tom Savage. He's really good.

BaLLiN
03-31-2010, 02:44 PM
RC3 is that you?

GiantRutgersfan is that you?

Giantsfan1080
03-31-2010, 02:46 PM
Tom Savage was the best true freshman QB last year. :)

BaLLiN
03-31-2010, 02:49 PM
Tom Savage was the best true freshman QB last year. :)

thanks to mohamed sanu

Giantsfan1080
03-31-2010, 02:52 PM
thanks to mohamed sanu

He definitely helped. Savage looked very impressive in the pocket though.

prock
03-31-2010, 03:06 PM
I see no reason why we can't discuss college prospects on an NFL draft forum. So instead of trolling the thread, how about you just ignore it if you don't want to talk about it?

I think Barkley will be a number 1 pick in 2 years. He has all the physical tools, and 3 years starting at USC in a pro style offense will give him the edge over just about anyone. If Luck stays until his senior year, then Barkley will have some competition for that spot, but I doubt he will.

Saints-Tigers
03-31-2010, 03:16 PM
Barkley's play last year, and his potential are both overrated.

Babylon
03-31-2010, 03:31 PM
Barkley's play last year, and his potential are both overrated.

60% passer. 9-3 as a starter. What more was he supposed to do?

mqtirishfan
03-31-2010, 04:04 PM

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3295/3762931996_54d7340559.jpg

Que?

LookItsAlDavis
03-31-2010, 04:27 PM
A lot can happen. I remember thinking Chad Henne would be a top-ten pick after his freshman year, but injuries along with other things screwed that up. You can't even be 100 percent sure Barkley will start this year. Kiffin has declared the competition to be open.

MenOfTroy
03-31-2010, 05:26 PM
People can react so oddly on forums. They tell someone to forget about his thread rather than letting be and simply not reading the thread if they're disinterested.

RaiderNation
03-31-2010, 05:28 PM
Im excited to see what he can do this year at USC. As always they are loaded on both sides of the ball and if he can improve from last year they should be in contention for the NC. Also excited to see what Andrew Luck from Stanford can do his 2nd year. He wont have Gerhert behind him so he should throw it more

Saints-Tigers
03-31-2010, 05:34 PM

Idk, I thought the greatest QB ever, with the greatest supporting cast ever, and the greatest prospects ever would do a bit more.

Babylon
03-31-2010, 06:34 PM
Idk, I thought the greatest QB ever, with the greatest supporting cast ever, and the greatest prospects ever would do a bit more.

They were actually pretty human this year. Injuries on the O-line and in the backfield and had to play without their TE for some time. All in all i think Barkely did nothing to tarnish the reputation.

Jericho@SC
04-04-2010, 09:52 AM
The thing that separates him from the other SC QBs IMO is the arm strength. His arm is as good as Carson Palmer's, and better than Leinart, Booty and Sanchez.

If he were to come into the league right now, he'd be top 10 in arm strength. He also has prototypical mechanics and release, leading to very good accuracy. His freshman year he displayed a willingness to stand in the pocket and throw the football even in the face of pressure. That's a good sign.

Time will tell where in the first round he gets chosen. He needs to get better in the mental aspect of he QB game. But as far as physical tools he's as good as it gets. Matt Stafford is a great comparison for him. Hopefully he has a more productive college career.

Here are some highlights

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H6ySN3hP0QQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bLn1s1sy30I

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PMOz3xseoYA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cL86mogw4UE&feature=fvst

RealityCheck
04-04-2010, 09:58 AM
When you manage to lose three games on the most prestigious college football team with excellent coaching, teammates and training staff?

Jericho@SC
04-04-2010, 11:25 AM
When you manage to lose three games on the most prestigious college football team with excellent coaching, teammates and training staff?

That's the thing. USC for the last few years has never been short on talent, but lacking in coaching. The loss of Norm Chow, Ed Orgeron, Tim Davis will have you going from the Championship game to the upset losses to UCLA, Stanford, Oregon State, and eventually a 9-3 record when you have a true freshman starter at QB.

You didn't honestly expect Barkley to go undefeated and winning a national title did you?

RealityCheck
04-04-2010, 11:30 AM
Like any Mater Dei/USC QB, Barkley is hell overrated. I could easily list 20 QBs in CFB who are way superior.

Jericho@SC
04-04-2010, 02:36 PM
Like any Mater Dei/USC QB, Barkley is hell overrated. I could easily list 20 QBs in CFB who are way superior.

You know, I'm not surprised that an OU fan is hating on an 'SC prospect. I'd be bitter too if my team was embarrassed by them 55-19 in a Championship game. How ironic that your handle is RealityCheck when it's you that really needs one.

Fact is, we're talking about prospects. There might be QBs that have a better track record to date, but you can't name 20 QBs that would be rated higher by the majority of NFL scouts and any unbiased fan here on these boards.

Go ahead. Name 20 QBs that are better prospects. Put your money where you mouth is.

Sniper
04-04-2010, 02:55 PM
You know, I'm not surprised that an OU fan is hating on an 'SC prospect. I'd be bitter too if my team was embarrassed by them 55-19 in a Championship game.

Relevance to the thread?

DraftBreakdown
04-04-2010, 03:01 PM
I really like Tom Savage as well. I think it could be him vs. Barkley a few years down the road. It will be fun to watch.

brat316
04-04-2010, 03:11 PM

Ohhh, oohh I wanna see 20 Qbs who you think are better prospects right now then Barkley...not potential wise.

And they must be >>>>> better than Barkley.

RealityCheck
04-04-2010, 04:24 PM
Ohhh, oohh I wanna see 20 Qbs who you think are better prospects right now then Barkley...not potential wise.

And they must be >>>>> better than Barkley.

Mallett, Locker, Pryor, Keenum, Moore, Luck, Harris, Kaepernick, Jerrod Johnson, Tyrod Taylor, Nesbitt...

brat316
04-04-2010, 04:31 PM
Mallett, Locker, Pryor, Keenum, Moore, Luck, Harris, Kaepernick, Jerrod Johnson, Tyrod Taylor, Nesbitt...

Really? Pryor is a better Qb prospect than Barkley.

RealityCheck
04-04-2010, 04:34 PM
Really? Pryor is a better Qb prospect than Barkley.
That's what I said.

Sniper
04-04-2010, 04:43 PM

Get the **** out. Seriously. Don't even grab a bagel.

JeffSamardzijaIRISH
04-04-2010, 05:08 PM
Lol Nesbitt.

Wrathman
04-04-2010, 05:10 PM

I don't care who you are...that's some funny stuff right there.

JFLO
04-04-2010, 05:23 PM
RealityCheck, that is bad.

To put Josh Nesbitt and Tyrod Taylor in front of Barkley? You had better be on acid or something.

Sniper
04-04-2010, 05:24 PM

You're struggling so far. Only 11.

Addict
04-04-2010, 05:29 PM
People can react so oddly on forums. They tell someone to forget about his thread rather than letting be and simply not reading the thread if they're disinterested.

Besides the obvious stupidity of this post I'd just like to point out that this is why the economical market system doesn't work as economists predict.

brat316
04-04-2010, 05:37 PM
Besides the obvious stupidity of this post I'd just like to point out that this is why the economical market system doesn't work as economists predict.

its cause people like to meddle in everything, even if it doesn't concern them and they could careless what happens. Its just nice knowing you had something to say.

JFLO
04-04-2010, 05:39 PM
its cause people like to meddle in everything, even if it doesn't concern them and they could careless what happens. Its just nice knowing you had something to say.

It should be nice knowing that you didn't say or do anything sometimes...at least for most people, including myself.

brat316
04-04-2010, 05:42 PM
It should be nice knowing that you didn't say or do anything sometimes...at least for most people, including myself.

i'm with you there, if it doesn't concern me i'm leave myself out of it.

But back to RealityCheck finishing off his list.

RealityCheck
04-04-2010, 06:04 PM
You're struggling so far. Only 11.
I'd go super mancrush mode in the other 9 guys.

Babylon
04-04-2010, 09:18 PM

The only one's i'd take over Barkley would be Locker and Mallett, except for Luck those others dont really belong in the conversation.

J-Mike88
04-04-2010, 09:48 PM
2012 Draft Forum?
Aren't there more than enough prospects in this 2010 draft to discuss here?
There's a college thread already to discuss college guys like this who have no draft implications for at least 2 more years.

JFLO
04-04-2010, 10:05 PM
2012 Draft Forum?
Aren't there more than enough prospects in this 2010 draft to discuss here?
There's a college thread already to discuss college guys like this who have no draft implications for at least 2 more years.

Do you think Matt Barkley went to USC just to play college football?

I don't understand why people have such a big deal against discussing future prospects...get over it.

J-Mike88
04-04-2010, 10:14 PM

I don't understand why people have such a big deal against discussing future prospects...get over it.
The reason is: The 2010 Draft is coming up soon.
We have good topics that are already bumped to page 2 and beyond of guys who are relevant to THIS draft.

Barkley means nothing to this draft.

mqtirishfan
04-04-2010, 11:41 PM
The reason is: The 2010 Draft is coming up soon.
We have good topics that are already bumped to page 2 and beyond of guys who are relevant to THIS draft.

Barkley means nothing to this draft.

So bump the other threads instead of this one, goddamn.

Ward
04-04-2010, 11:42 PM

I don't understand why you would have a problem with an off topic thread being moved to a topic appropriate forum.

LetsGoGiants!
04-04-2010, 11:46 PM
Barkley is a solid QB and will only get better while playing at SC. There's a good chance he's the #1 overall pick.