PDA

View Full Version : 4-3 DTs in this year's draft

the_dark_knight
03-31-2010, 05:40 PM
Not named Suh or McCoy.

I'm wondering what people think about Williams, Odrick, Price, Alualu and the next level of DTs, who fits where and what kind of impact do you think they will have?

princefielder28
03-31-2010, 06:13 PM
I think the guy that often gets overlooked is Lamarr Houston. The guy has gotten better every year, had a huge senior year, and is right there physically with the top tier guys. I love him as a 4-3 UT, and I hope he doesn't get stuck in a 3-4 b/c that would not allow him to maximize his potential.

Torell Troup is another guy who doesn't get much love. I have him as my #1 NT, and he continues to fly under the radar while players like Cam Thomas eat up the hype machine when they've done very little on the field but are impressively strong in off-season workouts.

jetsfan0099
03-31-2010, 07:03 PM
I think Bryan Price is going to be a real good player wherever he goes, I really like him behind Suh and McCoy in terms of DT prospects.

I like Tyson Alualu too, I like the idea of the Jets adding him in round 2 like Scott's latest mock has.

scpanther22
03-31-2010, 07:25 PM
Geno atkins.

Would fit perfect with a team like the panthers in Meeks scheme or any team that uses undersized DT..

I think he will be a steal for for team.

Babylon
03-31-2010, 07:50 PM
Not named Suh or McCoy.

I'm wondering what people think about Williams, Odrick, Price, Alualu and the next level of DTs, who fits where and what kind of impact do you think they will have?

I think Williams, Odrick and Price are all potential first round picks. Odrick probably can play 3-4 DE also as is the case with Suh i believe.

ericzedwards
03-31-2010, 09:44 PM
A guy that will go after all of those players, but that I'm really high on, is Geno Atkins. It'd be hard to find a guy that moves better than him at 295 pounds. If he can translate his workout numbers to the field, I think he has a chance to be a beast.

Caulibflower
03-31-2010, 10:51 PM
I really like Lamarr Houston. If Seattle misses on Toby Gerhart, Houston would be a GREEEAAAT consolation prize. That's probably wishful thinking, though. I don't think there is any way he makes it to 60. (You better be good, Charlie Whitehurst.) He was a running back in high school, running for 3,325 yards and 49 touchdowns over his career (Wikipedia). I'd like to see if he could play some situational fullback in the NFL. He'd be like a 2-inch taller, 40-pound wider Le'Ron McClain. I think they actually ran about the same 40 times. Here's a highlight video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4M0Mn3o8KBY

vikes_28
03-31-2010, 11:32 PM
I really really really like Cam Thomas. He could be a great run stuffer.

LizardState
04-01-2010, 05:38 AM
Alualu seems like a good 4-3 DT, good combination of playing the run & showed great quickness & a lightning 1st step in his pass rushing at Cal. I've got him listed in the 3rd rd. & later value picks thread.

UK_Raider
04-01-2010, 05:45 AM
A lot of mocks have the Raiders taking Price with their pick in the second. Not seen much of him with being in England other than what's on youtube (and we all know anyone can look good on youtube) :) Is he a good fit for the Silver and Black?? Would any other of the names mentioned be a good pick up if Price isn't there??

bigfreak314
04-01-2010, 08:00 AM
A lot of mocks have the Raiders taking Price with their pick in the second. Not seen much of him with being in England other than what's on youtube (and we all know anyone can look good on youtube) :) Is he a good fit for the Silver and Black?? Would any other of the names mentioned be a good pick up if Price isn't there??

I have a feeling Price might go in the late 1st round, always expect the unexpected when it comes to the raiders. Lamaar Houston maybe there, if the Rams go WR with their second round pick, and nobody picks him in the late 1st round either. One note about the Raiders Al Davis Loves "Freak athletes" and I wouldnt be surprised if Everson Griffin was still there at that pick they would sprint to the podium to turn in thier cards

RWills
04-01-2010, 08:31 AM
Price was said to look sloppy and out of shape, couple that with Houston's rise and Alualu's rise you can see Price falling into early to mid round 2.

Yes I said Alualu, I think that Pats will take this guy early in round 2, awesome motor, has played DE in 3-4, captain of defense

Linval Joseph could go high as well, big athletic guys always do, more of a 3 or 5 tech than a NT though, some reason I see Oakland all over him

I think we will see a run of NT's with Cody, Cam Thomas and Troup going early to mid in round 2, after those 2 guys, the next 2 NT's are Owens and Mullins, ranked much lower

The guy I am calling a Steal is Arthur Jones and D'Anthony Smith, these guys were borderline first round picks but because of injuries and the strength of the class they can be had between round 3 and 4. Jones I think is going to be sick with hose long arms, base and first step.

Even afer those 2 you have guys like Al Woods, Mike Neal and Corey Peters, all who can play both 3-4 and 4-3

UK_Raider
04-01-2010, 09:11 AM
Crickey. A quite few names there to look up and check out :) Thanks

+rep incoming for both of you

bigfreak314
04-01-2010, 09:23 AM
Price was said to look sloppy and out of shape, couple that with Houston's rise and Alualu's rise you can see Price falling into early to mid round 2.

Yes I said Alualu, I think that Pats will take this guy early in round 2, awesome motor, has played DE in 3-4, captain of defense

Linval Joseph could go high as well, big athletic guys always do, more of a 3 or 5 tech than a NT though, some reason I see Oakland all over him

I think we will see a run of NT's with Cody, Cam Thomas and Troup going early to mid in round 2, after those 2 guys, the next 2 NT's are Owens and Mullins, ranked much lower

The guy I am calling a Steal is Arthur Jones and D'Anthony Smith, these guys were borderline first round picks but because of injuries and the strength of the class they can be had between round 3 and 4. Jones I think is going to be sick with hose long arms, base and first step.

Even afer those 2 you have guys like Al Woods, Mike Neal and Corey Peters, all who can play both 3-4 and 4-3

I like Arthur Jones as long as his knees hold up because he has an outstanding motor but wouldnt he project to more of a 3-4 DE. I know the Cuse moved him around a lot on the D Line but I have a feeling he going to the a 3-4 team, he reminds me a lot of Aaron Smith for the Steelers a high motor guy whose intensity gets him a few sack, and yes if he would have stayed healthy he would of been drafted in that area where the Raiders are picking in the 2nd round but because of the surgery he may go even later, so sad.

scpanther22
04-01-2010, 01:27 PM

IDK about Alualu in a 34.I know he played that in college but I think his best fit is with a 43 team

brasho
04-01-2010, 01:30 PM
I think the guy that often gets overlooked is Lamarr Houston. The guy has gotten better every year, had a huge senior year, and is right there physically with the top tier guys. I love him as a 4-3 UT, and I hope he doesn't get stuck in a 3-4 b/c that would not allow him to maximize his potential.

Torell Troup is another guy who doesn't get much love. I have him as my #1 NT, and he continues to fly under the radar while players like Cam Thomas eat up the hype machine when they've done very little on the field but are impressively strong in off-season workouts.

I like Houston better than McCoy. He was more productive, a far better athlete, and he has a lot less experience. He played DE his first two seasons then switched to DT the past two... and was still one of the most productive DTs in the country (and had the best bowl game of all DTs in the country).

Another guy I like that I don't even see ranked is UVa's Nate Collins. This guy was a standout defender on a team that had few other guys to help him out. He was extremely productive, all-acc, and just tested fairly well (ran 4.85 at 291 lbs). I think he will help a team down the road as much as many of the more heralded guys.

brasho
04-01-2010, 01:33 PM
Geno atkins.

Would fit perfect with a team like the panthers in Meeks scheme or any team that uses undersized DT..

I think he will be a steal for for team.

Don't forget Earl Mitchell. This guy was a TE for 3 years and played DT for the first time this season and really put up good numbers considering he had no experience. Athletically, this guy is elite (4.73 40 @ just under 300 lbs) and will only improve with more experience. I think some team will look at him in round 5 and perhaps have themselves a really good player in 2-3 years.

RaiderNation
04-01-2010, 01:53 PM
Brian Price is going to be the 3rd best 4-3 DT from this draft. He can play NT and UT and will a good player for a long time. I hope he falls to Oakland in the 2nd

DeepThreat
04-01-2010, 03:15 PM
I am a big fan of Dan Williams. To a team in need of a pass rusher, he is a legitimate top 15 pick IMO.

the_dark_knight
04-01-2010, 08:37 PM
Alright, lots of good names here, lets see where you guys think some of these players belong, so far I've heard Alualu to a 3-4 team in the Patriots, and a few people disagree and like him in the 4-3. Personally I like him in the 4-3 and think his combo of strength and quickness puts him right behind Suh and McCoy who are just freak prospects.

Honestly, I think Alualu, given the right 4-3 team, could honestly end up being the best DT in this draft, and that's really hard to say with Suh out there, but if Suh goes to Detroit, well, that's where talent goes to die (except CJ he's immune) on the other hand, if he goes to Tampa Bay, then look out, he could have an Albert Haynesworth type effect on that defense, except I don't see this kid having near the mental health issues that Haynesworth does.

Rosebud
04-01-2010, 09:31 PM
I love hearing complaints about Price's stock slipping. Kid's got elite athleticism and burst with great upper body strength and a low center of gravity. I want him to be a giant so bad. If he falls to our second rounder I'll be giddier than when we got Beatty in the second last year.

scpanther22
04-02-2010, 01:53 PM
what about D'Anthony Smith?

Nobody seems to talk about him