PDA

View Full Version : Shooting stars -- Where are they coming from?

MidwestJimmy
04-01-2010, 04:29 PM
Since the Super Bowl ended we all have been learning the draft prospects by going over draft boards and mock drafts. At this point (beginning of April) we think we have a good understanding of who the top 100 prospects are (or top 150, or 200).

But there is a phenomenon that always happens around this time of year, and especially this draft season. Several players come from nowhere, like shooting stars, and suddenly are trust into third or fourth round status, or maybe from sixth to second rounders.

How and why does this happen? Where they overlooked in February by scouts and so-called experts? Did late game film show up with great performances? Did their workouts surprise personnel men enough to automatically consider them hot prospects? (That last one is a bit dangerous to me.) I imagine that probably all of these factors come into play.

Here are my top ten "shooting stars" that have come from obscurity and suddenly have zoomed up draft boards, according to draft websites. The order of the list reflects the difference from where they were to now, not where they currently are on my draft board.

1. Clifton Geathers [DE(H), SCU]
I haven't even heard of him until today. But the buzz at his pro day is that he could be a Round 3 pick. The "H" is for "heavy DE", an equivalent of a 3-4 end in the Gamecocks 4-3 over defense (in which Eric Norwood played edge linebacker). At least that's what I gathered from his being referred to as a "defensive lineman". Whatever -- he's a DT and 34E prospect.

2. Al Woods [DT, LSU]
He was a fringe prospect, but is now in the thick of things.

3. Brian Jackson [CB, Okl]
ProFootballWeekly.com gave him big props. Was it just because he is from a popular football program?

4. Kevin Thomas [CB, USC]
A while back his name would pop up here and there. Among the many USC prospects, he has not only replaced guard Jeff Byers as a realistic draft prospect, but has shot up draft boards.

5. Torell Troup [DT, UCF]
At 314 pounds, Troup is on the border between fitting in a 4-3 defense or as a NT in a 3-4. He has always been a top 175-200 prospect, but now the talk is Round 3 to 5.

6. Alterraun Verner [CB, UCLA]
The fact that he only weighs 189 pounds may have bothered people, but his pro day has made him a much bigger name. They think he may be a ball batting and interception machine.

7. Zoltan Mesko [P, Mch]
After a bad Senior Bowl he was nowhere, and possibly behind Matt Dodge of ECU. Now some say he is a fourth rounder, but that might be exaggeration.

8. Cam Thomas [DT, UNC]
According to the scouting report on this site, the big 330-pounder shot up boards with a great Senior Bowl performance. But that put him in about the sixth round. Now they are saying Round 3.

9. Rodger Saffold [OT, Ind]
He was buried in the 150 to 175 range, but now has a chance of being taken before UMass OT Vladimir Ducasse.

10. Blair White [WR, MchS]
He was a one-year wonder who only dominated as a senior, which puts up some warning signs. But apparently teams are ignoring his first three seasons with the Spartans because of good workouts.

Some of these players will be drafted as early as the experts are now anticipating. But some others will still go late after the new information turns out to be a bum steer. That stuff happens every year.

mqtirishfan
04-01-2010, 04:35 PM
How is Blair White a one-year wonder? He was good from the second half of his junior year on.

K Train
04-01-2010, 04:37 PM
so a one and a half year wonder? lol

my man al woods ftw

Babylon
04-01-2010, 04:46 PM
Risers to me would be:

Donald Butler, LB. Washington
Riley Cooper, WR. Florida
Jared Veldheer, OT. Hillsdale
Jarrett Brown, QB. WVU
Ben Tate, RB. Auburn

49erNation85
04-01-2010, 05:24 PM
Yes you can ad Tebow to that list after a year . ^

Caulibflower
04-01-2010, 06:35 PM
Yes you can ad Tebow to that list after a year . ^

In a year we can add Tebow to the list of this year's fast risers?

...Umwhat?

Sniper
04-01-2010, 06:48 PM
Zoltannnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn

BaLLiN
04-01-2010, 07:49 PM
How Riley Cooper is not mentioned is beyond me, he was talking of 4.3 40 times and the film made it look...slightly possible, but alas he didnt run really near it and now he's just another receiver in the mid rounds

Babylon
04-01-2010, 08:01 PM
How Riley Cooper is not mentioned is beyond me, he was talking of 4.3 40 times and the film made it look...slightly possible, but alas he didnt run really near it and now he's just another receiver in the mid rounds

I just mentioned him earlier in this thread. The thing that confused me was he didnt run at his pro day where he most certainly could have improved on the 4.52 he ran at the combine. As for him being just another receiver in the mid rounds i dont think we know what scouts and Gms are thinking, they arent talking.

thetedginnshow
04-02-2010, 12:56 AM
You're ridiculous for putting Verner on there.

MidwestJimmy
04-02-2010, 10:29 AM
You're ridiculous for putting Verner on there.

I'm just going by what scouts and other insiders are saying. Call them ridiculous for this, not me.

thetedginnshow
04-02-2010, 01:16 PM
I'm just going by what scouts and other insiders are saying. Call them ridiculous for this, not me.

You're telling me these scouts and insiders didn't know about Verner prior to this year? That's kind of funny.