PDA

View Full Version : Trades Changing Draft Outlook

RWills
04-02-2010, 08:24 AM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/04/02/sheldon-brown-chris-gocong-could-be-cleveland-bound/

Gocong and Sheldon Brown to Browns

Picks and player (not announced) to Philly

I would guess that CB instantly becomes Phillies #1 need, I also heard I think from Brandt or Casserly that you can expect a bunch of CB's at the back end of round 1, names other than Haden and Wilson are McCourty, Kareem Jackson, Patrick Robinson and Chris Cook(rumored to Minny). You have teams like SF, Tenn, Pitt, Green Bay, Philly, Minny, and Baltimore.

This also tells me that Haden is no longer for the Browns, I think either of the 3 in Spiller, Bryant, Berry maybe even Derrick Morgan

RealityCheck
04-02-2010, 08:26 AM
"Sheldon Brown, Chris Gocong could be Cleveland bound"

RWills
04-02-2010, 08:40 AM
"Sheldon Brown, Chris Gocong could be Cleveland bound"

I know, I know, Im jumping the gun here....they need to move the draft up, Im scratching here

BaLLiN
04-02-2010, 10:10 AM
this is already in the pro football section, theres no need to start another here

Phillysteeler
04-02-2010, 11:17 AM
Trade has happened gocong and brown for alex hall, pick 105 and pick 137.

keylime_5
04-02-2010, 11:45 AM
makes Joe Haden at #7 much, much, much less likely (though not completely impossible). Eric Berry if he's there. If not it gets interesting. I could see Cleveland aggressively trying to trade down if Berry is gone much like they did last year when Aaron Curry was gone.

DeepThreat
04-02-2010, 11:59 AM
If Berry's gone, my sleeper pick is Trent Williams. I really can't imagine Spiller or Dez being the pick.

mario
04-02-2010, 11:59 AM
makes Joe Haden at #7 much, much, much less likely (though not completely impossible). Eric Berry if he's there. If not it gets interesting. I could see Cleveland aggressively trying to trade down if Berry is gone much like they did last year when Aaron Curry was gone.
And what about if Clausen is avalaible at #7?

keylime_5
04-02-2010, 12:01 PM
Clausen makes the most sense even if we didn't trade for Sheldon Brown considering a young franchise QB is the top need for Cleveland...but apparently Holmgren doesn't like Clausen that much, and it would be "hard for him to take him at 7".....but then again there's a small chance that that is just some kind of bizarre smokescreen.

lance uppercut
04-02-2010, 12:22 PM
Clausen makes the most sense even if we didn't trade for Sheldon Brown considering a young franchise QB is the top need for Cleveland...but apparently Holmgren doesn't like Clausen that much, and it would be "hard for him to take him at 7".....but then again there's a small chance that that is just some kind of bizarre smokescreen.

that's something I've been trying to figure out. 9 out of 10 mock drafts have Cleveland picking Haden or Berry. Yet they've got potentially the worst offensive skill position talent in the league (sans Cribbs, of course). I just don't get how Clausen, Bryant, and even Spiller aren't more of a consideration. Perhaps none of them are as bullet-proof as Berry, but this is a team that hasn't been able to score touchdowns for two seasons now.

superfly69
04-02-2010, 12:58 PM
I'll give you a sleeper pick for the Browns. If Eric Berry is gone I hear that Earl Thomas the free safety from Texas is moving up fast. He could be a surprise selection.

fear the elf
04-02-2010, 01:06 PM
that's something I've been trying to figure out. 9 out of 10 mock drafts have Cleveland picking Haden or Berry. Yet they've got potentially the worst offensive skill position talent in the league (sans Cribbs, of course). I just don't get how Clausen, Bryant, and even Spiller aren't more of a consideration. Perhaps none of them are as bullet-proof as Berry, but this is a team that hasn't been able to score touchdowns for two seasons now.

I totally agree that offense should be in the discussion, but from my perspective, I think a team in as bad a shape as the Browns need a "bullet-proof" prospect in the first. Although possibly a smokescreen, Holmgren has said he doesn't love Clausen (and neither do I fwiw), Bryant is a little crazy, and Spiller seems like a reach at 7. I think the fact that we need a "can't miss" prospect as well as factoring value makes the defensive players (Berry, Haden, etc.) the logical picks at this point.

RWills
04-02-2010, 01:14 PM
I think it will be offense in Spiller or Bryant, with an outside shot of Derrick Morgan, not Clausen...I see a Quinn-esque fall

keylime_5
04-02-2010, 01:21 PM
While Spiller would be a great pick (some think he could be similar to Chris Johnson in the NFL with his speed, quickness, and vision), I think the Browns feel they are set at RB with Harrison, Hillis, James Davis, and Chris Jennings to compete for 3 spots. I think if Spiller is the top player on their board come their pick that they will try to trade down hard. Bryant makes a lot of sense in a vacuum, but his character red flags and the fact that he didn't destroy at his pro day I think eliminates him from the discussion considering what Holmgren and most especially Mangini likes in their players' character quality. Look for the Browns to pick a WR, but not until round 2 or 3 with names like Mardy Gilyard, Taylor Price, and Jacoby Ford in mind. They want to add speed to the WR unit.

Earl Thomas they say was falling at the owners meetings and was more likely to go in the 20s than the top 10.....now after a great pro day and reports of some teams even liking him to play corner they say his stock is on the rise. After the combine I heard he was likely to go in that 10-20 range. If Berry is gone he is perhaps the one guy that we might realistically target that I would love to land. Ballhawking free safety playmaker would fit into our defense very well.

PhysicalwithanF
04-02-2010, 02:48 PM
Could mean Haden falls right into our laps at #13

keylime_5
04-02-2010, 03:20 PM
Jacksonville or San Fran for Haden most likely. Not a lot of people are talking about Haden and the Jags but it looks like it could be the pick.

STsACE
04-02-2010, 07:08 PM
I think it will be offense in Spiller or Bryant, with an outside shot of Derrick Morgan, not Clausen...I see a Quinn-esque fall

3 guys that have not visited or have had private workouts for us, that we've heard of up to this point.

Thomas is a prospect that we've had more contact with than oany other so far.

Paranoidmoonduck
04-02-2010, 07:21 PM
I already expected Cleveland to pass on Haden, but I wonder if this really removes Berry from consideration. They still need a safety and if quarterback is off the table until later then both Spiller and Bryant would be a bit of a reach. I guess Spiller wouldn't be a huge surprise though.