PDA

View Full Version : Which teams are realistic options to go safety in round 1?

GloryDaysRBack
04-02-2010, 02:45 PM
Trying to do a few things as far putting together potential mock drafts...and attempting to get a feel for which players may be selected early and which may fall..

My question to the board is, which teams are realistically looking at safety in round 1? Thanks

PhysicalwithanF
04-02-2010, 02:46 PM
Trying to do a few things as far putting together potential mock drafts...and attempting to get a feel for which players may be selected early and which may fall..

My question to the board is, which teams are realistically looking at safety in round 1? Thanks

I can only speak for my team and I can tell you that the 49ers will take a loong hard look at Earl Thomas with one of our two first round picks.

GloryDaysRBack
04-02-2010, 02:48 PM
I can only speak for my team and I can tell you that the 49ers will take a loong hard look at Earl Thomas with one of our two first round picks.

Yeah, this is why I posted this thread..most people, including myself, know 1 team very well..so hopefully I can get a lot of different fans to chime in..

Morton
04-02-2010, 02:51 PM
Teams that will potentially be targeting FS in the first round:

5. Kansas City (unless they like a LT alot)
6. & 14. Seattle
7. Cleveland
13. San Francisco
20. Houston
24. Philadelphia
27. Dallas

That's about it, as far as I can tell.

Pitt
04-02-2010, 02:52 PM
Steelers.

Specifically Earl Thomas. I can see Colbert trading up to get him like they did with Troy.

Grizzlegom
04-02-2010, 02:57 PM
Miami is an option. We seem to really like Earl Thomas :-(

GloryDaysRBack
04-02-2010, 02:58 PM
Earl Thomas seems to be on everyones list lol..he really is shooting up the boards

SKim172
04-02-2010, 03:00 PM
If Earl Thomas drops for some reason, then everybody's a possibility. I think the original poster meant which team has a strong and immediate need for a starter at safety.

Seattle, I think, is a very likely option.

(edit) Meant Eric Berry - whatever, you know what I mean.

Babylon
04-02-2010, 03:03 PM
If Earl Thomas drops for some reason, then everybody's a possibility. I think the original poster meant which team has a strong and immediate need for a starter at safety.

Seattle, I think, is a very likely option.

Definitely, they'll be looking at #6 with Berry and #14 with Mays. They are in desperate need of an OT but a safety i think, in this a good year for that position, is also likely.

DeepThreat
04-02-2010, 03:19 PM
Kansas City
Seattle
Cleveland
San Francisco
Pittsburgh
Cincinnati
Miami
Dallas
Houston
Philadelphia

BlueBandit24
04-02-2010, 03:48 PM
Minnesota may look at a safety, but at #30 the value may not match up.

Morton
04-02-2010, 05:11 PM
Miami is not going to draft a FS. Bill Parcells will never take a FS over a LB. It just doesn't happen.

Look for Miami to draft eithert Jason Pierre Paul or Derrick Morgan in the first round.

I also have my doubts as to whether the Steelers will target a FS in the first when they have so many needs elsewhere like OL and LB.

keylime_5
04-02-2010, 05:41 PM
Seattle, Cleveland, Miami, San Francisco, Cincinnati, Minnesota, Dallas, and Philadelphia I think are the most likely. I can't see the Chiefs taking one that high.

Bengals78
04-02-2010, 05:51 PM
Teams that will potentially be targeting FS in the first round:

5. Kansas City (unless they like a LT alot)
6. & 14. Seattle
7. Cleveland
13. San Francisco
20. Houston
24. Philadelphia
27. Dallas

That's about it, as far as I can tell.

Considering safety is our biggest need, I wouldnt hold out on Cincinnati either.

marshallb
04-02-2010, 06:21 PM
Minnesota should be on here as S is the Vikings biggest need, but it appears that the value may not match up. I'd more of look for the Vikings to add a S in the 2nd or 3rd rounds right now just due to the value.

ClayMiller4
04-02-2010, 06:47 PM
I'd say the Vikings could use an upgrade, but we can grab a quality guy in round two and add a CB in the first. Kyle Wilson and Morgan Burnett would be my dream draft, as unlikely as it is.

Babylon
04-02-2010, 06:57 PM
I'd add Dallas now that Hamlin appears gone. Dont know if they would take anyone not named Berry/Mays/Thomas but it may be good new for someone like a Chad Jones or a Nate Allen(could probably trade down for the last two.

Grizzlegom
04-02-2010, 07:00 PM
Miami is not going to draft a FS. Bill Parcells will never take a FS over a LB. It just doesn't happen.

Look for Miami to draft eithert Jason Pierre Paul or Derrick Morgan in the first round.

I also have my doubts as to whether the Steelers will target a FS in the first when they have so many needs elsewhere like OL and LB.

I would tend to agree normally as everyone knows his draft history and affinity for LBers but we have been courting Thomas A TON and I think he's just as likely as Dan Williams who everyone seems to think we're going to take. BP has never taken a NT or a S in round one. I think if Morgan is gone its going to be one of the Texas boys, Kindle or Thomas. I don't think JPP really fits what BP likes.

GloryDaysRBack
04-02-2010, 07:00 PM
I'd add Dallas now that Hamlin appears gone. Dont know if they would take anyone not named Berry/Mays/Thomas but it may be good new for someone like a Chad Jones or a Nate Allen(could probably trade down for the last two.

Being an avid Cowboys fan, my understanding of their Safety interests are as follows:

1) Thomas (good chance he will be gone or they will need to move up to get him)
2) Nate Allen (might be able to trade down and still get him)
3) Morgan Burnett

Brent
04-02-2010, 07:27 PM
I would be shocked if the Niners took a safety in round one, unless the value was too great to pass up.

PhysicalwithanF
04-02-2010, 07:37 PM
I would be shocked if the Niners took a safety in round one, unless the value was too great to pass up.

Respectively disagree. IF we get our tackle at #13, and Earl THomas is on the board at #17 we will at least think about it.

SF Dolphin Fan
04-02-2010, 08:55 PM
Miami is an option. We seem to really like Earl Thomas :-(

I agree. He's definitely on the Dolphins short list.

Morton
04-02-2010, 09:50 PM
JPP looks exactly like DeMarcus Ware 2.0 to me in terms of measurables.

I'd be shocked if Parcells passes on a chance to draft Miami's DeMarcus Ware in this draft, imho.

binary
04-02-2010, 10:12 PM
Respectively disagree. IF we get our tackle at #13, and Earl THomas is on the board at #17 we will at least think about it.

At LEAST, definitely

PalmerToCJ
04-02-2010, 10:21 PM
Cincinnati hasn't shown a desire to take a safety early in the draft (like with TE's only not as bad) but this year I think there's actually a chance. Not many holes and Mays/Thomas could be available at a spot that's later in the 1st.

bored of education
04-02-2010, 10:39 PM

I'd be shocked if Parcells passes on a chance to draft Miami's DeMarcus Ware in this draft, imho.

DeMarcus had a lot better film than JPP.

Grizzlegom
04-03-2010, 08:01 AM

I whole-heatedly disagree. JPP's athleticism wasn't on par with Ware's at the combine nor does he have nearly as much experience, production, or quality game tape. Parcells values experience very highly and I doubt he'd use a premium pick on a player with 7 college starts.

LizardState
04-03-2010, 10:52 AM
Dallas, Dallas, & more Dallas. They dumped Hamlin yesterday

Maybe Jerry Jones will pull the trigger on his signature Draft Day trade to move up for Earl Thomas, if he's OK from the Texas Pro Day pulled hammie, since they don't have the ammunition to trade up for Berry.

And that will probably mean Taylor Mays -- but no complaints, there are worse fates. They taught Bobby Carpenter how to not miss tackles so they can do the same for Mays, who's a freak -- how many 6-3, 240-lb. safeties run a sub-4.4 40?

Addict
04-03-2010, 10:58 AM

Maybe Jerry Jones will pull the trigger on his signature Draft Day trade to move up for Earl Thomas, if he's OK from the Texas Pro Day pulled hammie, since they don't have the ammunition to trade up for Berry.

And that will probably mean Taylor Mays -- but no complaints, there are worse fates. They taught Bobby Carpenter how to not miss tackles so they can do the same for Mays, who's a freak -- how many 6-3, 240-lb. safeties run a sub-4.4 40?

Mays' speed is mainly in a straight line. He isn't agile, and Dallas knows all too well that hard hits and poor coverage don't mean good safety (see: Williams, Roy)

Babylon
04-03-2010, 04:09 PM

Last time i looked the Seahawks pick before the Cowboys (twice).:)

LizardState
04-04-2010, 11:06 AM
Last time i looked the Seahawks pick before the Cowboys (twice).:)

That means that Carroll knows Mays' advantages & his weaknesses. Seattle drafting him is about 50-50 IMO.

Babs, do you have some Seattle insights here? Arent they in love with Thomas? Every team is misreporting now & playing their cards close to the vest but Thomas would make sense. Any truth to the rumors they're splitting the blanket with Hasselbeck & going QB with the 1st Seattle pick?

ESPN thinks Dallas is going safety in the 1st rd too:

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/insider/news/story?id=5044067&action=login&appRedirect=http%3a%2f%2finsider.espn.go.com%2fnfl %2finsider%2fnews%2fstory%3fid%3d5044067

RealityCheck
04-04-2010, 11:08 AM
Dallas will go OT imo. Ducasse or Brown makes the most sense.

GloryDaysRBack
04-04-2010, 11:14 AM
Dallas will go OT imo. Ducasse or Brown makes the most sense.

ZERO chance Dallas goes OT in the 1st round..let me repeat that..ZERO chance..Interior OL..maybe..but still unlikely

Dallas is going safety in round 1..CB is also another likely position..

I am hearing lots of rumblings that Dallas is looking to move up..Hearing some talks between Dallas and Miami..

LizardState
04-04-2010, 11:25 AM
I am hearing lots of rumblings that Dallas is looking to move up..Hearing some talks between Dallas and Miami..

Working the Parcells connection........

phlysac
04-04-2010, 11:45 AM
The 49ers discussion is an interesting one...

Dashon Goldson showed a tremendous future last season as the 49ers' starting FS. The best safety prospects in this year's draft are more FS prospects. I think that moving Goldson to SS would be a good move for the 49ers and they should look at Earl Thomas. However, I think that they realistically will look at SS prospects to replace Michael Lewis and Mark Roman. Perhaps that player is already on their roster? Reggie Smith and Curtis Taylor.

PhinsRock
04-04-2010, 12:10 PM
I don't see Miami as an option.

Earl Thomas would be the only one of value at 12, but he does not fit the Bill Parcells mold at all of a S. He's neither tall nor thick, and is not versatile enough to play near the box like we need our FS's to be able to do at times.

Miami needs an OLB too much to not get one at 12.

GloryDaysRBack
04-04-2010, 12:19 PM
I don't see Miami as an option.

Earl Thomas would be the only one of value at 12, but he does not fit the Bill Parcells mold at all of a S. He's neither tall nor thick, and is not versatile enough to play near the box like we need our FS's to be able to do at times.

Miami needs an OLB too much to not get one at 12.

Have you heard any of the Dallas and Miami trade rumors?

On a side note, which fuels to the fire of the Dallas trade talks, I am hearing Miami likes a certain player who they can definitely grab by moving down. Not sure who or how far down, but that's what I heard.

PhinsRock
04-04-2010, 12:30 PM
Have you heard any of the Dallas and Miami trade rumors?

On a side note, which fuels to the fire of the Dallas trade talks, I am hearing Miami likes a certain player who they can definitely grab by moving down. Not sure who or how far down, but that's what I heard.

The Dallas and Miami trade rumors regarding Miami's 1st round pick have been going on the past 3 years.....and a trade still has not happened.

If a trade were to go down, it would have to do with Miles Austin being shipped to Miami. Dallas isn't going to be able to resign him next off season anyways.

Who that player could be? Not sure. Could be a WR like Thomas or Benn, but I doubt out. Terrance Cody is an option, but Parcells likes 310-315 pound NT's that are more athletic, (see Jason Ferguson, Jay Ratliff), so maybe Cam Thomas is the better option there, but then again you can probably get him at 43.

I doubt they'd be able to get Graham at Dallas' 27 spot, or Kindle. Jerry Hughes is an option, as he would be a good weak side OLB that would allow Cam Wake to stay on the strong side.

Who knows. I'm blabbering on about a moot point....it's Bill Parcells. Nothing that is true is getting out to the public/media. He has a plan, and I don't think more than a handful of people know it.

With all that said though, I would be surprised if Miami did not try and move down a few spots to acquire more Day 2 picks.

GloryDaysRBack
04-04-2010, 12:38 PM
I am hearing that Miamis draft is going to be flooded with defensive players..So I wouldnt expect any options on the offensive side of the ball at 12..

As far as Miles Austin is concerned, anyone who thinks that he will be anywhere outside of Dallas is not being realistic. He will not be traded nor will he be let go. He will be locked up long term, sometime between now and next offseason. Dallas has NEVER and I mean never lost a player that they wanted due to financial reasons and Austin will not be the first.

The rumors I am hearing regarding Dallas and Miami are primarily regarding Marion Barber...

PhinsRock
04-04-2010, 02:27 PM
I am hearing that Miamis draft is going to be flooded with defensive players..So I wouldnt expect any options on the offensive side of the ball at 12..

As far as Miles Austin is concerned, anyone who thinks that he will be anywhere outside of Dallas is not being realistic. He will not be traded nor will he be let go. He will be locked up long term, sometime between now and next offseason. Dallas has NEVER and I mean never lost a player that they wanted due to financial reasons and Austin will not be the first.

The rumors I am hearing regarding Dallas and Miami are primarily regarding Marion Barber...

I heard the rumor about Barber. It's a pretty ridiculous rumor. Miami has zero use for him.

As far as Austin is concerned, Dallas is in pretty tough cap shape for the next few years, and still have not locked up a lot of their young players that are going to be needing/wanting new contracts soon. I don't know if it is going to be that easy to sign Austin.

I agree about Miami's draft. They have 10 picks, and I would say 7 of them will be devoted to defense, minimum. Most of the early selections will be defense as well.