PDA

View Full Version : Demps Runs Fastest 100 the World

Complex
04-02-2010, 09:21 PM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/more/04/02/florida.demps.ap/index.html?eref=sihp

Brent
04-02-2010, 09:22 PM
that's a ******* misleading title. but, 10.15 is pretty rigoddamndiculous.

BaLLiN
04-02-2010, 09:29 PM
that's a ******* misleading title. but, 10.15 is pretty rigoddamndiculous.

its actually 10.11 seconds BrentN

Matthew Jones
04-02-2010, 09:40 PM
Wow, that's incredible.

sbh15
04-02-2010, 09:51 PM
If I calculated it right, that would mean he would run a sub four second forty...

mqtirishfan
04-02-2010, 09:55 PM
If I calculated it right, that would mean he would run a sub four second forty...

Not really, unless you imagine he was at the same average speed for the first forty yards as he was for the whole thing, which is beyond doubtful.

TitanHope
04-02-2010, 09:55 PM
My (unofficial) boy Chris Rainey is still betta! :D

FUNBUNCHER
04-02-2010, 11:39 PM
Usain Bolt says he could run that time jogging!!LOL

But seriously, it sucks to be a world class sprinter nowadays when even running a 9.80 100 meter dash barely guarantees you 2nd place in any race that Bolt is running in.

boknows34
04-02-2010, 11:41 PM

Darrell Green ran a 10.08 in 1980 and he was a 4.2 40 guy. As mgtirishfan said the slowest part of any sprint race is those first 10 yds/metres.

When Usain Bolt ran his 9.58 WR last year in Berlin his fastest 20m split was between 60-80m.

Reaction time to gun
0.146 secs

0-20m
2.89 secs

20-40m
1.75 secs
(4.64)

40-60m
1.67 secs
(6.31)

60-80m
1.61 secs
(7.92)

80-100m
1.66 secs
(9.58)

So Bolt's first 40m which converts to 43.74 yards was ran in 4.64. Deduct the 0.146 reaction time (NFL combine starts the clock not by gun but by runner's first movement) and he actually ran the first 40m or 43.74 yards in 4.50. Running 43.74 yards in 4.50 secs converts to 40 yards in 4.115 secs. However you also have to factor the 0.9 m/s wind speed and fast track Bolt was running on which he would not have at the NFL combine.

Tyson *** went through 40m in 4.70. Deduct the reaction time of 0.144 (just two thousanths quicker than Bolt) and he went through 40m/43.74 yards in 4.56. This converts to a 4.17 40 yd dash. Chris Johnson's official 40 from the 2008 combine (without the fast track and 0.9 m/s wind) was 4.24.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_ua8ycqfc4ok/Sok0X9U62uI/AAAAAAAABq8/HJwymrWaDn4/s400/Table.gif

boknows34
04-02-2010, 11:47 PM
Its also worth noting that Demps' 100m PB is 10.00 the same time ran by Dwain Chambers in the Bolt 9.58 race. Chambers went through 40m/43.74yds in 4.75 secs or 4.63 when the reaction time (0.122) is deducted. This 4.63 converts to an approx 4.23 secs over 40 yards.

FUNBUNCHER
04-03-2010, 12:28 AM
Also, these 100 meter guys are running out of a blocked start wearing track spikes.

I'm sure there are a handful of guys from the combine who would put up sick times if they had the same advantages at the start of the 40.

prock
04-03-2010, 12:45 AM
10.11? I can do that in my sleep. Break 10 and I will be intrigued!

K Train
04-03-2010, 01:45 AM

yeah maybe right in the middle...startup is such a long time compared to timing in stride

jballa838
04-03-2010, 12:20 PM
10.11? I can do that in my sleep. Break 10 and I will be intrigued!
its april... Demps hasn't peaked yet, I can guarantee that. Get him out there at Nationals against some other beasts and I am 80% sure he'll run sub 10. Nobody PR's in april and declines the rest of the season. he'll be right by NCAA EAST's and NCAA Nationals.

jballa838
06-11-2010, 08:52 PM
Nostradamus in the house!!!!!!! He ran a 9.96 at NCAA's and won the title. So fast.

Bob Sanders Dreadlock
06-11-2010, 09:46 PM
Watched it live, he destroyed the field. Really hope he runs track instead of trying to pursue football after college.

sbh15
06-11-2010, 09:50 PM
Watched it live, he destroyed the field. Really hope he runs track instead of trying to pursue football after college.

this would be a terrible decision financially.

jballa838
06-11-2010, 10:05 PM
it definitely would. he'd make more in his first year of his contract if he goes day one or two than he would if he goes pro in track and field. he's a good football player, and i'd love to see him as their returner next year.

Trogdor
06-11-2010, 10:08 PM

Either way... A 10.11 isn't all that incredible... Considering he'd be trying to catch a guy who ran a 9.58 (Usain Bolt). More than half a second, or an eternity in the 100m, pretty much leaves him as an elite college track star but the title is completely off -_- That's nowhere near the fastest time this year.

But as you said he's much more of a track guy than a football star.

Bob Sanders Dreadlock
06-11-2010, 10:30 PM
Either way... A 10.11 isn't all that incredible... Considering he'd be trying to catch a guy who ran a 9.58 (Usain Bolt). More than half a second, or an eternity in the 100m, pretty much leaves him as an elite college track star but the title is completely off -_- That's nowhere near the fastest time this year.

But as you said he's much more of a track guy than a football star.

And being the next Chris Johnson is that much easier? Obviously he will make more money playing football than running track i didn't say he wouldn't. I haven't heard him talked about highly as a pro prospect. And Demps ran 9.96 today not 10.11

jballa838
06-11-2010, 11:13 PM
Bolt's juicin so you have to compare Demps to G*y and he's still far off.

Bob Sanders Dreadlock
06-11-2010, 11:34 PM
Bolt's juicin so you have to compare Demps to G*y and he's still far off.

If bolt is jucing so is ***, merritt, warner, powell and anyone else running fast. Demps is listed at 5'8 189lbs doesn't have the size to play football unless mccluster works out this year. His ceiling in track is a lot higher than football.

yourfavestoner
06-11-2010, 11:53 PM
If bolt is jucing so is ***, merritt, warner, powell and anyone else running fast. Demps is listed at 5'8 189lbs doesn't have the size to play football unless mccluster works out this year. His ceiling in track is a lot higher than football.

He'll make way more money as a return man in the NFL in just a couple years than he will in a track career. Michael Bennett was pretty much the same size coming out (he bulked up more in the NFL), and he had a pretty good career for Minnesota.

Plus, he's got thick legs, and a frame that can support more weight. Thick legs are key. It's a huge reason Reggie Bush and Darren McFadden have been disappointing, whereas guys like Chris Johnson, Ray Rice, and MJD have been successful.

Bob Sanders Dreadlock
06-12-2010, 12:09 AM
He'll make way more money as a return man in the NFL in just a couple years than he will in a track career. Michael Bennett was pretty much the same size coming out (he bulked up more in the NFL), and he had a pretty good career for Minnesota.

Plus, he's got thick legs, and a frame that can support more weight. Thick legs are key. It's a huge reason Reggie Bush and Darren McFadden have been disappointing, whereas guys like Chris Johnson, Ray Rice, and MJD have been successful.

Several posts have said the bolded part and i haven't denied this, its pretty obvious. I searched for Demps stats as a return man and i couldn't find any. Does he take kicks for florida? Trindon Holliday was another great college track runner but his production on the field was missing(i know demps is worlds ahead on the field but still).

FUNBUNCHER
06-12-2010, 12:09 AM
I don't buy how thick your legs are in determining how well you can run a football. Franco Harris had chicken legs. So did OJ Simpson.
Jamaal Charles has the build of a WR with legs no thicker than Reggie Bush or Darren McFadden, and he's a stud. Chris Johnson doesn't exactly have Barry Sanders/Earl Campbell tree trunk thighs either.

If you can play, you find a way to get it done, IMO.

Demps will be highly valued come draft time with that kind of pure speed. As of right now, he's the fastest track guy to ever be considered a top pro prospect, faster than Darrell Green or Bob Hayes.

If Demps has ANY kind of season this year for the Gators, he's going 1st round.
An NFL O coordinator or special teams coach will find a way to get the ball in his hands 15 - 20 times/game.

D Green says he was a consistent 4.1 guy as a younger player, but all his times in the 40 were measured with a stopwatch.
Demps is a real threat to run a sub 4.2 at the combine.

XLIV
06-12-2010, 03:36 AM
very misleading Trindon Holliday has hit 10 flat already.

SeanTaylorRIP
06-12-2010, 08:28 AM
I don't really like comparing the first 40 of a 100 meter run. While they do have the advantages of track and such, these sprinters would undoubtedly adjust their strides and technique if they were only running a 40. Still no way Chris Johnson would ever break a 10 second 100.

jballa838
06-12-2010, 09:41 AM
very misleading Trindon Holliday has hit 10 flat already.
9.96 is faster than 10 flat. and he kind of won NCAA's.
I don't really like comparing the first 40 of a 100 meter run. While they do have the advantages of track and such, these sprinters would undoubtedly adjust their strides and technique if they were only running a 40. Still no way Chris Johnson would ever break a 10 second 100.
definitely. plus the 40 goes off movement while the 100 goes off of a gun, which is going to slow the first 10 meters down and ultimately not give us a true 40. Heyward Field is a great track, so there are some advantages either way.

bce
06-12-2010, 12:36 PM
Demps and holliday should be gracing the world cup pitch. Theyre not going to beat usain bolt or anything so theres no future in track. They dont have football bodies so theres no future in the nfl outside of maybe a few years as a return man. In soccer its not only not an issue to be 5 5 160, its actually good.

Their agent should be calling alex ferguson, say listen alex, i got these two guys jeff demps and trindon holliday. None of your eurosoft next door neighbor factory worker athletes are going to be able to keep up with these guys and chances are when one of those guys tries to give them a "sliding tackle" they will neither go down nor wince in pain like a little girl.

Just teach them how to kick the ball in the net once theyve run by the factory worker level athletes trying to defend them. Shouldnt be too hard for an elite level athlete.

The us could be a soccer superpower if we could only get trindon holliday and jeff demps and others like them to play soccer for them.

prock
06-12-2010, 12:40 PM
Demps and holliday should be gracing the world cup pitch. Theyre not going to beat usain bolt or anything so theres no future in track. They dont have football bodies so theres no future in the nfl outside of maybe a few years as a return man. In soccer its not only not an issue to be 5 5 160, its actually good.

Their agent should be calling alex ferguson, say listen alex, i got these two guys jeff demps and trindon holliday. None of your eurosoft next door neighbor factory worker athletes are going to be able to keep up with these guys and chances are when one of those guys tries to give them a "sliding tackle" they will neither go down nor wince in pain like a little girl.

Just teach them how to kick the ball in the net once theyve run by the factory worker level athletes trying to defend them. Shouldnt be too hard for an elite level athlete.

The us could be a soccer superpower if we could only get trindon holliday and jeff demps and others like them to play soccer for them.

Yeah, you can just put a football player who has never played soccer onto the pitch and he will pick it up like nothing and be able to play at a World Cup level. No chance in hell would this ever work.

bce
06-12-2010, 12:55 PM
They have 2 major things going for them. They will immediately be the best athletes on the field and they will immediately be the toughest guys on the field. So if you combine those two things, youve already got a pretty good head start. I think an elite level athlete like demps or holiday could learn to kick the ball into the net. Just get them two steps in front of the defense and theyre already 2 steps behind the defense. After that, its just a question of putting it in the net. Its a big net. You dont have to be super accurate once its just you and the goalie.

Trust me the euros and the country club kids dont want this to happen, thats why they scoff at it. They know once we get these types athletes on the field, the country club kids wont be playing soccer for the us anymore, and the euros wont be beating us anymore.

Most of the time, elite athletes can play any sport. It generally comes down to genetics. Does lebron james have the athletic ability to play in the nfl? absolutely he does, hes on par with any player as far as athletic ability. He just has a better body for basketball, his body is not conducive to playing in the nfl. Trindon holliday and jeff demps have soccer bodies, not football bodies or track bodies.

prock
06-12-2010, 03:53 PM
They have 2 major things going for them. They will immediately be the best athletes on the field and they will immediately be the toughest guys on the field. So if you combine those two things, youve already got a pretty good head start. I think an elite level athlete like demps or holiday could learn to kick the ball into the net. Just get them two steps in front of the defense and theyre already 2 steps behind the defense. After that, its just a question of putting it in the net. Its a big net. You dont have to be super accurate once its just you and the goalie.

Trust me the euros and the country club kids dont want this to happen, thats why they scoff at it. They know once we get these types athletes on the field, the country club kids wont be playing soccer for the us anymore, and the euros wont be beating us anymore.

Most of the time, elite athletes can play any sport. It generally comes down to genetics. Does lebron james have the athletic ability to play in the nfl? absolutely he does, hes on par with any player as far as athletic ability. He just has a better body for basketball, his body is not conducive to playing in the nfl. Trindon holliday and jeff demps have soccer bodies, not football bodies or track bodies.

They may have a soccer body, but they don't know how to play the game. You can't just pick up a game and all of a sudden be elite. I have been playing the game for 14 years, but I still haven't developed skills such as passing, shooting, first touches, dribbling, being able to see the play before it happens, and just general foot skills anywhere near well enough to play even D-1 soccer, much less World Cup level. I know I am not anywhere near the athlete as Demps or Holliday,and I don't claim to be a great player or anything, but these skills are more than just raw athleticism. They take years and years and years to develop no matter who you are. If you seriously think that these guys can automatically become great at soccer because they are fast and strong, you really don't understand the sport at all. It is a lot more intricate than you understand.

bce
06-12-2010, 04:27 PM
I agree there would be a transition period, a learning period. It didnt take antonio gates years and years to learn how to be an nfl tight end.

The difference between you and jeff demps is they are world class athletes and you are not. I watched the game today. I saw at least 10 instances where if it had been jeff demps not wayne rooney or some other guy, he would have been behind the defense one on one with the keeper instead of getting the ball tackled away or having the defender beat him to the ball.

Razor
06-12-2010, 04:34 PM
I agree there would be a transition period, a learning period. It didnt take antonio gates years and years to learn how to be an nfl tight end.

The difference between you and jeff demps is they are world class athletes and you are not. I watched the game today. I saw at least 10 instances where if it had been jeff demps not wayne rooney or some other guy, he would have been behind the defense one on one with the keeper instead of getting the ball tackled away or having the defender beat him to the ball.

Wow, you are just ******* clueless when it comes to soccer. The technique required to play soccer isn't something you just "pick up" in a year or two. As Prock said, soccer is very intricate. The best soccer players have done nothing but playing soccer since they were 4 years old and have worked extremely hard to get to their level. Nobody gets along on their athletic ability anymore, those days are over and have been for a long time now. You should try to, you know, actually watch a soccer match before making these ignorant statements.

bce
06-12-2010, 04:52 PM
Is the technique of playing in the nfl something you cant pick up in a year or two? Antonio gates did it.

This is the argument the euros and the country club kids make continuously becuase they know once the athletes come, its all over for them but their crying and a spot on the pittsburgh river hounds.

Its "bullocks" as they say across the pond. We'll line up a team full of eric dekker clones, they can throw out their best of the best, and they still cant beat us. Now imagine we replace all the erik dkker clones we have on the US team now and replace them with a bunch of guys like trindon holliday and jeff demps. You think theyd beat us?

Not a chance in hell, but since the country club kids want to keep their monopoly on the game, and the euros are afraid of the spectre of a country with the talent pool of the united states athletically, they say jeff demps cant play soccer. Bullocks. Anything that requires athletic prowess he can do better than wayne rooney. Anything. Its only a matter of things that can be learned. Theres nothing in the physical skill set of jeff demps that says he cant play soccer at the elite level, other than country club kids and euros trying to say that its something you have to do forever. Because they know once dudes like jeff demps start playing soccer, it is over for them as far as being on tv etc etc etc. The balance of power will shift, and hopefully we wont have to sit around like watching grass grow seeing some factory worker level athlete from england beat the forwards to loose balls.

lowlife
06-12-2010, 05:12 PM
Using the unique situation of Gates and using as an umbrella concept to a totally different player in a different sport transitioning to yet another different sport makes no sense to me.

For every AG, there are thousands of players who couldn't transition to another sport like he did.

Gates started out with many of the necessary skills (body control, balance, jump ball, shielding off defenders, ballskills, etc), anyway.

Demps may have speed and toughness, but in a mostly non-contact sport with no use for hands, his football skills are useless. His balance would translate, but if the guy doesn't have the footwork to dribble or pass nor have the ball control to shoot and cross nor even have a basic understanding of the ******* game, it's pointless. Who knows, maybe he could, but just to assume he'd dominate is some of the most imbecile ******** I've ever heard.

Doesn't matter if we have the athletes if they don't play soccer. Your elitist American ego-centric attitude is an example of why people around the world hate us. There are athletes around the world too, watch the ******* Olympics and tell me America dominates every event.

FUNBUNCHER
06-12-2010, 05:23 PM
Thinking one can 'learn' soccer well enough to compete at an international level despite never having played competitively EVER, is almost as ridiculous as believing that you could take a 6'7 NBA forward and teach him enough tennis to win the U.S. Open.

Hey, I love these epic hypothetical scenarios too, but international soccer is possibly one of the most skill intensive sports in the world.
Look at the U.S. World Cup roster; we have some of the best speed athletes in the world on that team, but they don't have the futbol skills to match their raw athletic ability.

Demps and Holliday would simply be decoys who wouldn't be able to play with the same elite track speed when they were dribbling the ball.

This is a similar argument to those who thought Barry Sanders/Mike Vick would have been Pele if they had decided to play soccer as kids instead of football.

Rare athletic ability is no guarantee for stardom or even that one will possess a unique talent to play a particular sport.

Bob Sanders Dreadlock
06-12-2010, 05:25 PM
From first hand experience it doesn't help having a guy being able to run fast a defense with the ball if your teammates can't even keep up. He would be down there with no one to pass to. Pretty useless

sbh15
06-12-2010, 05:39 PM
tiebreaker is record in wars for independence.

/stereotypical american

bce
06-12-2010, 05:45 PM
Well he certainly can do it athletically. Theres no "athletic inhbition" for jeff demps to play soccer.

The low level of athlete that dominates that sport is astounding to me. The way they play soccer suits that level of athleticism. Youd never see dudes with this level of athletic ability anywahere near the nfl, let alone dominating the nfl.

How hard is it. You kick the ball down the field, you let jeff demps go one on one with some low level athlete, he beats them to the ball of course, then takes it to the house. Yeah, thats not the way the play in europe, becuase they dont have dudes like jeff demps in europe. They have to play tic tac toe and fancy scmancy passes that generally result in nothing and those crossing plays that never ever ever work, because they dont have athletes who can beat people with their athletic ability. I hear everyone say how good these dudes are, but 3/4 of the time they cant even hit the net with a kick directly.

I agree im clueless on soccer, but in watching the games i wouldnt play soccer the way thhey do. I would get great athletes, kick the ball to an area and let them go one on one with some dude from england. I would bring relentless pressure and force them to kick "interceptions" which i could then take to the house. I would use the entire field to create large amounts of space, and when i kick it deep, i would try to get favorable one on one matchups, and then once jeff demps beats the english factory worker, everyone crashes the net like in hockey. Kick it deep to jeff demps or whomever, let him physically outperform the english factory worker one on one, have him take it to the house and then crash the net. On defense id leave 3 guys back and have the rest of the dudes constantly pressure the ball, but also pressure the passing lanes. They pressure the ball in soccer but they dont pressure the passing lanes. If a dudes at the midfield and hes kicking the ball back and forth, pick that pass off and take it to the house. Instead everyone stands around.

Also id be very physical, I can still win with 9 or 10 men cause im not relying on passing the ball back and forth all day. Im fast breaking it to the house every time. All i need is a favorable one on one matchup to score points

If you go down in pain crying on my team, you better be hurt cause youre coming out of the game, and if youre not hurt then youre gone.

I would call my system of soccer. "90 minutes of hell". Fast moving fast break use the whole field on offense and overwhelming defensive pressure. I dont need curling perfectly hit crossing shots that never work or players that hit those shots that never work. I need only dudes who have the physical ability to beat someone one on one, and i know that some english factory dude aint gonna stop jeff demps one on one in the open field.

You cant do that with a bucnh of english dudes. Thats why english dudes play soccer like they do.

FUNBUNCHER
06-12-2010, 06:12 PM
Being faster in a straight line isn't going to give you much of an advantage in a soccer match. Also there are no time outs in soccer, so Demps world class speed would be neutralized as fatigue set in.

Know how fast players are neutralized in soccer?? You have a guy cheat defense on him so that he NEVER gets the ball!

Demps may be fast, but the ball being passed to him will be markedly slower, which an average international defender will be able to check before Demps ever has a chance to touch the ball.

The same reason Demps is a not a dominant college football player is the same reason he would struggle as a soccer player; his skill level is lacking.

Thinking you can play without the necessity of pinpoint passing, dribbling, or thinking you can apply relentless defensive pressure for 90 minutes and not have it affect your ability to score is just way off base.

Africa annually produces some of the fastest, strongest soccer players in the world, but rarely do they produce the players that Brasil's soccer mad country does, because skill with the soccer ball, passing and the ability to score the ball ALWAYS trump athletic ability.

I'd equate it to a WR who runs a 4.3 but is a piss poor route runner, which means he will rarely get open to catch the ball.

It's funny how you dog out the Brit national team as a bunch of 'factory workers', yet I think you'd surprised how the majority of those guys can run a 4.4 forty.

Some of the quickest, fastest White guys I ever knew in HS and college played on the soccer team; and my HS football coach was ALWAYS trying to recruit them to play cornerback and RB!!

At this point in his life, Demps would be fast, but non-productive on a soccer team. He wouldn't make his teammates better, or set up scoring scoring opportunities, or be a great scorer.

If motivated, Demps MIGHT be a decent defender, but he'd probably be juked out of his cleats.

Stop living up to the stereotype of the 'Ugly American'.

If we have a hard enough time dominating international b-ball with the world's best athletes, why would a rational person think a 22 year old who runs really fast would be a factor in world class soccer!!??

bce
06-12-2010, 06:27 PM
Jeff demps is certainly faster laterally than some english dude. His short area quickness is also superior. Hes a punt returner so im quite sure laterally hes going to be quicker than the defensive player hes against.

In the "90 minutes of hell" system, his job is not to set up his teammtaes or make them better with those ridiculous tic tac toe and triangle passes or crossing passes that never work. His job is to go one on one with english dudes in the open field then beat them to the house. Its the other players job to crash the net, get the rebound or accept the pass from him at full speed while crashing the net.

Youre playing relentless defense on the ball and in the passing lanes, allowing others who are not in the passing lanes or on the ball to rest.

And those dudes on your hs soccer team arent the level of qucikness and athlete of jeff demps. This is an sec tailback with 4.2 speed, your hs soccer teammates dont compare in anyway shape or form to jeff demps and im quite sure hed be better than them at soccer if he tried.

Brazil wins because the best athletes in the country play soccer. But theres no jeff demps level of athlete playing in brazil or in africa.

All he has to do is get one on one with the keeper. If he scores once out of 10 then hes the best goal scorer on the planet

Its not euro soccer. Its 90 minutes of hell.

Rosebud
06-12-2010, 06:55 PM

Great post or Greatest post?

David Odonkor would like to have a word with you while we try and get Theo Walcott to stop crying about getting excluded from England's side to explain to you how wrong you are. Just because you can be clueless about multiple sports doesn't mean you should.

FUNBUNCHER
06-12-2010, 06:56 PM
You're overrating Demps athletic ability. He's the fastest football player in the country in a straight line, but how effective has he been in college at applying that speed into results??

Has Demps ever scored 20 TDs in a season?? Rushed for over 1000 yards?? Caught 70 balls??

Demps may be faster in a straight line than most athletes, but what can he do with a soccer ball?? Being a great athlete doesn't make you a good soccer player.
There are plenty of soccer players across the world who match Demps short area quickness, and come very close to his speed in the forty, yet that alone doesn't make them any good.

But hey, I'm gonna quit this exercise because you're just hating on soccer players and assuming an unknown, I would say a 'known'.
It's like arguing that having a 40 inch vert will make you a great basketball player.

Having great athletic measurables in no way assumes one will EVER be a great athlete in a given sport.

Ask Michael Vick, Taylor Mays or Reggie Bush how that works.
It's the same truth in any sport, probably even more so in soccer.

Rosebud
06-12-2010, 07:07 PM
You're overrating Demps athletic ability. He's the fastest football player in the country in a straight line, but how effective has he been in college at applying that speed into results??

Has Demps ever scored 20 TDs in a season?? Rushed for over 1000 yards?? Caught 70 balls??

Demps may be faster in a straight line than most athletes, but what can he do with a soccer ball?? Being a great athlete doesn't make you a good soccer player.
There are plenty of soccer players across the world who match Demps short area quickness, and come very close to his speed in the forty, yet that alone doesn't make them any good.

But hey, I'm gonna quit this exercise because you're just hating on soccer players and assuming an unknown, I would say a 'known'.
It's like arguing that having a 40 inch vert will make you a great basketball player.

Having great athletic measurables in no way assumes one will EVER be a great athlete in a given sport.

It's the same truth in any sport, probably even more so in soccer.

Why are you arguing when he has all of the proof on his side. Just look at how beastly David Odonkor and Theo Walcott are. And fi that doesn't sell you take a look at how Lennon and Findley were able to just dominate the game today.

LonghornsLegend
06-12-2010, 07:47 PM
He'll make way more money as a return man in the NFL in just a couple years than he will in a track career.

Maybe slightly more, but it's not always about that. Guys like Dabryan Blanton from Forney attended OU back in 2002 was a track and football star and he chose track and signed a 3 year endorsement with Nike. Granted he could of been a return man, and signed a deal similiar to Holliday where he makes slightly over 1.5 million in 4 years, but he makes close to 6 figures while doing not even close to the same amount of work.

There are track meets once every few months, he runs the 100 and the 60 and then he goes home. Not considering that he would have to go through the same grueling training football players go through year round, or the battering ram that a KR is subject to.

I know alot of players would gladly take that pay cut for the difference in training and what is expected of you, and I'm sure the high profile track athletes get paid even more especially when they win.

Saints-Tigers
06-12-2010, 08:24 PM
I don't claim to be a soccer expert, and I couldn't name 10 soccer players in the world, but I would think an elite athlete with poor skills would be even less useful in soccer than it would in the NFL.

Seems that the ball gets trapped somewhere in the middle so often that being super fast is a lot less useful than being good with dribbling and using your feet.

I mean... USA #1 FOREVARR

JeffSamardzijaIRISH
06-12-2010, 09:19 PM
Wow... BCE is completely clueless. Football is not nearly as hard of a sport to learn as soccer is. Essentially, all football is is 1. catching the ball, 2. running with the ball. Sure there are other little things, but the basics are those two. In soccer, to be a good player, it all starts with touch. A player's touch is developed from age 5, 6, and will forever change his future in the sport. People who start from age 10, age 11, have a HUGE disadvantage because their touch on the ball is not as natural as one would have starting from age 5 or 6. Now if you got a 20 year old to try to gain this touch, it would be impossible. The "skills" needed in football are mostly all god given talents, while in soccer the skills require a lot of refining. There's a reason why football players don't need to practice and can still be good (Plaxico Burress), but if a soccer player misses practice even for a week, they are declared not fit for the match.

On another note, the athletes that play soccer are not "neighbor factory worker athletes", these are world class athletes. In terms of speed, there are some that are probably just as fast, if not faster than Demps.

descendency
06-12-2010, 11:15 PM
Actually, Michael Vick was quite good until he got caught for dog fighting, racketeering, etc. His athleticism actually allowed him to succeed despite having worse than JaMarcus Russel accuracy and nearly the same work ethic.

Wow... BCE is completely clueless. Football is not nearly as hard of a sport to learn as soccer is.

Wow. This is as ignorant as bce's statements.

prock
06-12-2010, 11:21 PM
Is the technique of playing in the nfl something you cant pick up in a year or two? Antonio gates did it.

This is the argument the euros and the country club kids make continuously becuase they know once the athletes come, its all over for them but their crying and a spot on the pittsburgh river hounds.

Its "bullocks" as they say across the pond. We'll line up a team full of eric dekker clones, they can throw out their best of the best, and they still cant beat us. Now imagine we replace all the erik dkker clones we have on the US team now and replace them with a bunch of guys like trindon holliday and jeff demps. You think theyd beat us?

Not a chance in hell, but since the country club kids want to keep their monopoly on the game, and the euros are afraid of the spectre of a country with the talent pool of the united states athletically, they say jeff demps cant play soccer. Bullocks. Anything that requires athletic prowess he can do better than wayne rooney. Anything. Its only a matter of things that can be learned. Theres nothing in the physical skill set of jeff demps that says he cant play soccer at the elite level, other than country club kids and euros trying to say that its something you have to do forever. Because they know once dudes like jeff demps start playing soccer, it is over for them as far as being on tv etc etc etc. The balance of power will shift, and hopefully we wont have to sit around like watching grass grow seeing some factory worker level athlete from england beat the forwards to loose balls.

BCE, you are 100% clueless. You could pick up football way easier than you could soccer, because you use more of the skills in basketball in football than you do in soccer and in football. No matter what sport you play, the coordination skills you develop are with using your upper body, but unless you play soccer, you have no experience using your feet. Your comparison is ********. If Jeff Demps had started playing soccer when he was 4 then he could play at an elite level.

You talk about why America sucks at soccer for like 3 paragraphs, it isn't related at all to your argument of Demps being able to play elite soccer. That is a completely separate point. You don't understand soccer at all. Or football for that manner.

prock
06-12-2010, 11:23 PM

Not even close to ignorant. The skills involved in soccer are harder to learn than in football.

prock
06-12-2010, 11:32 PM
Jeff demps is certainly faster laterally than some english dude. His short area quickness is also superior. Hes a punt returner so im quite sure laterally hes going to be quicker than the defensive player hes against.

This is funny because you don't think soccer players are athletes.

In the "90 minutes of hell" system, his job is not to set up his teammtaes or make them better with those ridiculous tic tac toe and triangle passes or crossing passes that never work. His job is to go one on one with english dudes in the open field then beat them to the house. Its the other players job to crash the net, get the rebound or accept the pass from him at full speed while crashing the net.

You don't know **** about soccer. How is this guy gonna shoot or pass when he hasn't ever played soccer so he has no foot skills or touch?

Youre playing relentless defense on the ball and in the passing lanes, allowing others who are not in the passing lanes or on the ball to rest.

And those dudes on your hs soccer team arent the level of qucikness and athlete of jeff demps. This is an sec tailback with 4.2 speed, your hs soccer teammates dont compare in anyway shape or form to jeff demps and im quite sure hed be better than them at soccer if he tried.

My high school soccer teammates would be more useful on the World Cup pitch than Jeff Demps because at least they know how to play the game.

Brazil wins because the best athletes in the country play soccer. But theres no jeff demps level of athlete playing in brazil or in africa.

There isn't anyone in Brazil or Africa on the team with as good of straight line speed as Demps, but all of the best soccer players are great athletes. There are plenty of people at least as quick as him or as good of an athlete as him on the team. You think soccer players on national teams aren't going to be as quick as a decent college football kick returner?

All he has to do is get one on one with the keeper. If he scores once out of 10 then hes the best goal scorer on the planet

Its not euro soccer. Its 90 minutes of hell.

Why is scoring 10% of one on one with the keepers one of the best? That gets you on the bench in junior high soccer. A World Cup forward better ****** be able to finish 8 or 9 out of 10 in one on one with the goalies. You seriously don't understand a single thing about soccer.

JeffSamardzijaIRISH
06-12-2010, 11:38 PM

It's not ignorant. There's a reason why someone who didn't play football for four years (Antonio Gates) can just go to the NFL and become one of the best TE's there is. I'm not saying there's no skill involved, but soccer requires a certain level of skill that can only be obtained by playing for a long time. Football skills can be picked up in a relatively short amount of time compared to that of soccer. Trying to pickup soccer late in life is like trying to learn a language at age 20 compared to age 2, its a much tougher challenge, would take a lot longer, and probably impossible to be completely fluent with perfect accents.

bce
06-13-2010, 12:22 AM
i dont know **** about how euros play soccer, i agree with that. But i wouldnt be playing soccer like euros play soccer if I had a team full of jeff demps types. I'd be playing the game in a way to best utlilize the skill of top level athletes not mid level athletes like the ones that play soccer. Theres a reason why the game is played like it is. Because everyone whos playing it is a mid level athlete. Thats why the game is played the way its played, the players dont have the athleticism to play "90 minutes of hell" style. The game is styled for mid level athletes not elite level athletes.

So if i was a soccer coach and I had elite level athletes, i'd tailor the game to the skills of elite level athletes, which is to physically overwhelm the opponent, to get jeff demps one on one in the open field against what basically amounts to a guy with the athleticism of a punter. These dudes are like a bunch of punters out there. They use need for certain skills as a shield for lack of athletic ability. Give me jeff demps in space against any english dude and its no contest. Its just as easy as jeff demps eluding the punter, because thats what soccer players are atheltically and physically. A bunch of punters.

bce
06-13-2010, 12:25 AM
Theres also one thing that jeff demps has over soccer players that antonio gates doesnt have over nfl players. jeff demps is a vastly superior athlete to soccer players. Antonio gates is not a vastly superior athlete to nfl players. He has the same level of athletic ability as everyone else hes going against pretty much. jeff demps on the other hand hes so vastly superior to the competition from a physical standpoint.

bce
06-13-2010, 12:32 AM
If jeff demps gets 10 chances per game to go one on one with the punter and he scores one time per game, theres like what 38 games in the soccer league, so hes going to score 38 goals in one season. Whens the last time someone scored 38 goals in one season in one of the domestic leagues. Kick the ball to spots like a qb throws to spots. Let him go get the ball. let him know where the balls going to be and the defender not know. Its really not that much different from football. Create one on one matchups jeff demps vs the punter 10 times per game hes going to beat the punter most times. if he beats the punter 9 times out of ten, he opnly has to beat the keeper one time out of nine every game and hes the best in the world.

prock
06-13-2010, 12:53 AM
You clearly know nothing about sports. It is quite embarrassing. You think going 1 for 9 in one on ones with the keeper in a single game, which don't even happen in lots of games, would be good? You think Demps would get 10 one on ones with the goalie? How is he gonna get there? With his superior foot skills? That will need 10 plus years of developing before being a good enough level?

And it is really quite laughable that you don't think soccer players aren't good athletes. Most country's best athletes play soccer. And you don't think America is the only country with freak athletes? Your ignorance is appalling.

FUNBUNCHER
06-13-2010, 01:18 AM
If jeff demps gets 10 chances per game to go one on one with the punter and he scores one time per game, theres like what 38 games in the soccer league, so hes going to score 38 goals in one season. Whens the last time someone scored 38 goals in one season in one of the domestic leagues. Kick the ball to spots like a qb throws to spots. Let him go get the ball. let him know where the balls going to be and the defender not know. Its really not that much different from football. Create one on one matchups jeff demps vs the punter 10 times per game hes going to beat the punter most times. if he beats the punter 9 times out of ten, he opnly has to beat the keeper one time out of nine every game and hes the best in the world.

bce, you have got to be one of the most arrogant sports fans I've ever encountered on a message board!!!

I admit I'm a casual soccer fan, a front runner mainly, but I've known enough soccer players and played the sport at some level to know most American sports fans have very little idea the level of skill involved when the game is played at its highest level internationally.

And I can tell you NO athletic skill is more difficult than developing foot-eye coordination, then later developing that skill to such a level that you can play soccer at full speed and still control the ball.

Going one on one against a punter when Demps is CARRYING the ball under his arm is much different than trying to beat an equal athlete with better skills while dribbling the ball.

Asking Demps to play elite, world class soccer would be the equivalent of expecting him to be a pro bowl QB in the NFL in 2011, although he's never played the position in college.

You really think Demps would have the ability to anticipate plays and know where a pass is going to be before a teammate delivers the ball?

Demps may run a 4.2, but I guarantee he would play the game of soccer at a mental speed of 8.2.

the_dark_knight
06-13-2010, 10:42 AM

You didn't calculate it right.

#1 because 100 divides into 10s evenly 10 times, then that leaves you with a 4 sets of that 10.

So, you decide then to divide 10.11 into equal sets of 10, and that leaves you with a number just over 1 for every 10 yards. Leaving then multiplying that by 4 to get your 40 time, which gives you a value > 4 to start out with

#2 The slowest part of any run, is the start, not the finish, so you're using all the time he's running at top speed (from ~20-100 yards) and using those numbers instead of the first 10 yards equally in the equation.

Anyway, point is, that should be sub 4.3, but really depends on the start. That's what's so misleading about 40 times. It's all about the start.

brat316
06-13-2010, 11:09 AM
You didn't calculate it right.

#1 because 100 divides into 10s evenly 10 times, then that leaves you with a 4 sets of that 10.

So, you decide then to divide 10.11 into equal sets of 10, and that leaves you with a number just over 1 for every 10 yards. Leaving then multiplying that by 4 to get your 40 time, which gives you a value > 4 to start out with

#2 The slowest part of any run, is the start, not the finish, so you're using all the time he's running at top speed (from ~20-100 yards) and using those numbers instead of the first 10 yards equally in the equation.

Anyway, point is, that should be sub 4.3, but really depends on the start. That's what's so misleading about 40 times. It's all about the start.

you forgot to convert meters into yards.

bce
06-13-2010, 03:25 PM
You clearly know nothing about sports. It is quite embarrassing. You think going 1 for 9 in one on ones with the keeper in a single game, which don't even happen in lots of games, would be good? You think Demps would get 10 one on ones with the goalie? How is he gonna get there? With his superior foot skills? That will need 10 plus years of developing before being a good enough level?

And it is really quite laughable that you don't think soccer players aren't good athletes. Most country's best athletes play soccer. And you don't think America is the only country with freak athletes? Your ignorance is appalling.

Theyre more comparable to brian moorman as athletes than they are to jeff demps.

bce
06-13-2010, 03:27 PM
yes i am an arrogant ugly american. and nothing in thew world is harder or requires more athletic ability than soccer. You just have to be an unbelievable superstar athlete to play soccer. Nothing in the world is harder than kicking a ball.

Rosebud
06-13-2010, 03:47 PM
Theres also one thing that jeff demps has over soccer players that antonio gates doesnt have over nfl players. jeff demps is a vastly superior athlete to soccer players. Antonio gates is not a vastly superior athlete to nfl players. He has the same level of athletic ability as everyone else hes going against pretty much. jeff demps on the other hand hes so vastly superior to the competition from a physical standpoint.

Do you really think repeating this lie will make it true? And I'd love to hear you explain why Theo Walcott and David Odonkor, two players who are just as fast and quick as Demps but have been playing the game since they were kids, still aren't very good.

Rosebud
06-13-2010, 03:53 PM
yes i am an arrogant ugly american. and nothing in thew world is harder or requires more athletic ability than soccer. You just have to be an unbelievable superstar athlete to play soccer. Nothing in the world is harder than kicking a ball.

I'd say that Hockey requires a comparable amount of skill, with Demps' athleticism why not get him a pair of skates and a hockey stick? Either way both take a lot more skill than American Football since the skills in football, outside of catching and holding the egg, are all needed for soccer on top of the foot-eye skills that take a lifetime to develop to an international level. I mean **** Demps might as well start swinging a baseball bat because if makes contact he's fast enough to beat any throw to first right? So what if he bats below .200, if he gets on base he'll be one of the best base stealers in history of baseball!

bce
06-13-2010, 03:56 PM
come on seriously. Youre talking about a 4.2 40 type guy. I highly doubt theo wolcott is a 4.2 40 guy. He might be fast compared to english dudes, but compared to jeff demps, well i doubt it. Well this was a fun conversation but ive had my fill. All the country club soccer nerds cant keep believing their game is anywhere near as athletic as the nfl and i guess we'll just leave it at that. Reason theo wolcott and whoever that other guy is arent good probably is because the games played in a style which better suits the lesser athletes.

Rosebud
06-13-2010, 04:00 PM
come on seriously. Youre talking about a 4.2 40 type guy. I highly doubt theo wolcott is a 4.2 40 guy. He might be fast compared to english dudes, but compared to jeff demps, well i doubt it. Well this was a fun conversation but ive had my fill. All the country club soccer nerds cant keep believing their game is anywhere near as athletic as the nfl and i guess we'll just leave it at that. Reason theo wolcott and whoever that other guy is arent good probably is because the games played in a style which better suits the lesser athletes.

Theo runs a 4.3, which must be enough to scorch the "factory athletes", and is way more talented than Demps will ever be with the ball yet England didn't even take him along to South Africa.

BTW you mention how the game is played, yet teams already do play through balls into open space for their attacking players, so no the game isn't "played in a style which better suits the lesser athletes." The most important thing about beating teams in space is your first touch, aka your ability to control the ball while running at full speed, something that is developed over decades of playing the game.

bce
06-13-2010, 04:03 PM
Every time i saw a "through ball" the defender beat the offensive player to the ball, at least in this game i saw saturday. And you saw that theo walcott ran a 4.3 where? Do they even test for soccer players?

FUNBUNCHER
06-13-2010, 04:05 PM
I still think Demps will be a major weapon in the NFL; I'd draft him top 50 just to play specials.

bce
06-13-2010, 04:09 PM
Whats he going to do. Hes going to return kicks. hes going to get hurt doing it. You cant use a top 50 pick on a guy who will only return kicks and get hurt doing it. He has the same draft value as trindon holliday.

Rosebud
06-13-2010, 04:14 PM
Every time i saw a "through ball" the defender beat the offensive player to the ball, at least in this game i saw saturday. And you saw that theo walcott ran a 4.3 where? Do they even test for soccer players?

That's because getting to the ball takes more skill than running in a straight line, a good defender will shield the ball from the attacking player so that unless he's the flash he can't get around the defender to the ball. As for Theo's speed:
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=theo+walcott+40+yard+dash

What really baffles me is how you've convinced yourself that in a sport that the whole world tries to excel at no one has thought of your "idea" if it's such a good plan. You'd think Kenya or Jamaica would've realized that their great runners are all they need, I mean they'd at least qualify for the World Cup then...

Bob Sanders Dreadlock
06-13-2010, 04:20 PM
Whats he going to do. Hes going to return kicks. hes going to get hurt doing it. You cant use a top 50 pick on a guy who will only return kicks and get hurt doing it. He has the same draft value as trindon holliday.

Except Holiday sucked as a football player. Demps actually you know, has produced.

bce
06-13-2010, 04:21 PM
kenya and jamaica dont have the population of athletes the us has. I didnt see 4.34, i saw 40 meters 4.7 i know a meter is longer, and this was some blogger giving the info. How many dudes in the nfl run 4.34? There were like 5 this year alone at the combine. Their fastes guy in the world is "supposedly" 4.34. Just shows you the difference in the level of speed. theres probably 50 guys in the nfl who have run in the mid 4.3s. The fastest guy in soccer runs in the mid 4.3s. And theres a lot more dudes in the nfl who run in the 4.4s. And please dont get me started on soccer players having greater lateral quickness than jeff demps or dudes who play in the nfl.

bce
06-13-2010, 04:35 PM
But hes not going to produce in the nfl, not as a position player anyway. Theres no 5.6 160 lb rbs or wrs who produce.

lowlife
06-13-2010, 04:49 PM
Speed does not equate to success. You sound like Big *** Al right now.
Obviously his approach hasn't worked in American Football, where speed is more of an onus, how the **** would it work in a sport where speed is an after thought to footwork, foot-eye coordination and change of direction?

While we're on it, let's put Iupati in front of the goal because he's so huge and American and strong, he'll just look at the ball and it'll stop in its tracks.

tuan33
06-13-2010, 04:52 PM
Theo runs a 4.3, which must be enough to scorch the "factory athletes", and is way more talented than Demps will ever be with the ball yet England didn't even take him along to South Africa.

BTW you mention how the game is played, yet teams already do play through balls into open space for their attacking players, so no the game isn't "played in a style which better suits the lesser athletes." The most important thing about beating teams in space is your first touch, aka your ability to control the ball while running at full speed, something that is developed over decades of playing the game.

Hmm I always thought first touch is how you position and control the ball when you first recieve it. Ball control is the most important aspect of dribbling. That's why messi can dribble full speed like the ball was glued to his feet. But yea Walcott is easily a 4.3 guy but he's terrible because he has field vision what so ever. Something which needs to be developed from a young age. This isn't even factoring in does demps have the endurance to play a whole soccer match. Football is an explosive game, where you can sprint 3-4 times, go on the bench and relax. Soccer on the other hand, you have to be on the pitch for whatever amount of time and you either run or jog the whole time.

I don't even know if demps would be able to maintain his speed when he ups his endurance to the level of walcott.

prock
06-13-2010, 05:36 PM

Yes, you really don't understand sports.

No, the game is played in a style that works. There are plenty of athletes who are comparable to Jeff Demps. Many guys can run in the 4.3s in soccer. You quit your argument when you run out of ******** points to make. It's funny.

I get tested in my 40 in soccer. And being a little bit faster won't help you get to that through ball, because defenders are smart and can make up for speed with smarts. Every point you make makes you sound even more ignorant than the previous.

prock
06-13-2010, 05:37 PM
Theyre more comparable to brian moorman as athletes than they are to jeff demps.

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

bce
06-13-2010, 05:55 PM
really, who. That guy just said theo wolcott is the "fastest" at 4.34. How many guys in the nfl ran in the mid 4.3s. My guess is 50. So theres 50 guys in the nfl who run as fast as the fastest soccer player. Also have to take into account that 3/4 of them are probably 200lbs. Find me a 200 lb soccer player.

The game is played in a style that works, for mid level athletes.

prock
06-13-2010, 07:01 PM
75% of guys who run mid 4.3s are 200 pounds? Really? And why would you need a 200 pound soccer player? The point of the game isn't to mash into people. Soccer players aren't inferior athletes, they are just different types of athletes. You don't need 4.2 speed to be a good soccer player. You need to be quick and skilled with your feet. If the game were filled with faster players, the game would still be played the same. Soccer is about moving the ball and staying together as a team. It isn't about kick the ball and go chase it. You don't know anything about a sport yet continue to argue about it.

tuan33
06-13-2010, 07:08 PM
really, who. That guy just said theo wolcott is the "fastest" at 4.34. How many guys in the nfl ran in the mid 4.3s. My guess is 50. So theres 50 guys in the nfl who run as fast as the fastest soccer player. Also have to take into account that 3/4 of them are probably 200lbs. Find me a 200 lb soccer player.

Lol mid level athletes. Good one. I guess that's all athleticism is. Just how fast you can run or jump. There's no such thing as balance and endurance. I think after boxing and mma, soccer is the next most taxing sport. I mean if Demps can sprint for 90 mins straight at 4.3 speed. He'd be an amazing soccer player until he gets 2 red cards. Btw what does being 200lbs have anything to do with being an athlete? It isn't conducive to their endurance so you really don't see many players other than goalies getting that big. Btw here are some soccer players over 200lbs: Kevin Nolan 96kg=211lbs, Tom Huddlestone 98kg, and the fatass Mark Crossley coming in at 100kg.

FUNBUNCHER
06-13-2010, 07:28 PM

Wolcott is the fastet player on the UK national team; there are more fast players worldwide.

Rosebud
06-13-2010, 07:47 PM
kenya and jamaica dont have the population of athletes the us has. I didnt see 4.34, i saw 40 meters 4.7 i know a meter is longer, and this was some blogger giving the info. How many dudes in the nfl run 4.34? There were like 5 this year alone at the combine. Their fastes guy in the world is "supposedly" 4.34. Just shows you the difference in the level of speed. theres probably 50 guys in the nfl who have run in the mid 4.3s. The fastest guy in soccer runs in the mid 4.3s. And theres a lot more dudes in the nfl who run in the 4.4s. And please dont get me started on soccer players having greater lateral quickness than jeff demps or dudes who play in the nfl.

That 4.7 translates to a 4.29 which is just a tick slower than CJ2K who tore the NFL apart. None of those NFL athletes could consistently run for 90 minutes because they're used to a sport where they get to rest for more time than they actually play. So the fastest soccer players are just about as fast as the fastest NFL players with better stamina so do you want to try again? I mean we've completely neglected how useless he'd be given his lack of skill, similarly to Odonkor and Walcott who are just as fast with a lot more skill.

Hmm I always thought first touch is how you position and control the ball when you first recieve it. Ball control is the most important aspect of dribbling. That's why messi can dribble full speed like the ball was glued to his feet. But yea Walcott is easily a 4.3 guy but he's terrible because he has field vision what so ever. Something which needs to be developed from a young age. This isn't even factoring in does demps have the endurance to play a whole soccer match. Football is an explosive game, where you can sprint 3-4 times, go on the bench and relax. Soccer on the other hand, you have to be on the pitch for whatever amount of time and you either run or jog the whole time.

I don't even know if demps would be able to maintain his speed when he ups his endurance to the level of walcott.

Yeah, just re-read what I wrote and that came out wrong. What I was trying to say was that in this case a first touch would refer to Demps' ability to run onto a through ball at full speed and then control it so that he can keep sprinting.

Endurance is a big issue that would prevent most NFL players from being anything but subs.

Liar. I never said Theo was the fastest soccer player, plenty of guys are as fast as Theo, Theo and Odonkor just happen to be great examples of guys who's only skill is their speed and yet are useless soccer players.

SloppyJoe
06-13-2010, 07:59 PM
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=theo+walcott+40+yard+dash

never saw this before. LOL

Clarkw267
06-15-2010, 01:06 AM
BCE... you are the most ignorant person on earth.

A game.. played world wide, by far more people than American Football and Basketball combined.. That game doesn't have the same level of athlete playing it??

Do the math on that one.

These "mid level" athletes, are the best in the world, out of a much larger pool to select from. You my friend.. are not very smart.

FUNBUNCHER
06-15-2010, 02:10 AM
Just saw youtube clips of Walcott, LOL!! He's really, REALLY fast, much faster than I expected.
I also read that he has sub 10 second 100 metre speed, so take that for what it's worth. But when you see his clips on youtube, it's more than believable.

Rosebud
06-15-2010, 07:49 AM
Just saw youtube clips of Walcott, LOL!! He's really, REALLY fast, much faster than I expected.
I also read that he has sub 10 second 100 metre speed, so take that for what it's worth. But when you see his clips on youtube, it's more than believable.

Yeah, kid can fly, pity that's his only skil which is why Aaron Lennon, who's also crazy fast, gets to start, at least he can keep possession of the ball and make good crosses/passes.