PDA

View Full Version : My 2010 Live Patriots Mock Draft Results

TNPatsFan
04-03-2010, 12:45 PM
I have participated in a live 7 round mock draft on another forum for a number of years now and we have just finished our 2010 version. I am posting the results here for your amusement and debate.

Here is how it works. On the site there are forums for every team, just like we have here on DraftCountdown. Each forum has representatives to make picks in the mock on behalf of their forum. I make the picks for the Pats with the help of the other Pats fans on our forum.

We do all 7 rounds including comp picks. Trading picks is allowed, but trading current players is not. I did make a couple big trades in this thing. I will explain the details later.

As for the picks themselves, we try to get a consensus pick among the fans on the forum. We don't want the picks to just be what one person wants. As the GM I act as the tie-breaker, and most of the time I am the one who will suggest people to draft and see what response I get.

We do have access to an "insider", that is a reporter who covers the Pats for the site and regularly speaks to players and scouts and agents and team reps,etc, so he helps us get an idea of who the Pats are likely looking at and when they might draft them.

After the real draft happens, we get a score based on a number of things. We get points for drafting a player that the Pats actually draft, we get points for drafting the same position in the same round, even if it's not the exact player, we get points for drafting a player much later than when he really goes in the draft (so if you take a guy in round 4 and he ends up really getting picked in round 2, then you get points for that, regardless of whether or not the Pats take him). And of course we lose points for drafting guys too early. Last year we finished 6th out of 32 teams!

Ok, sorry for that long winded intro, just thought it would help. Anyway, here are the results:

Round 1, pick 21 - Sergio Kindle, OLB, Texas: This was easily the consensus pick at this spot. We have one guy that insists Odrick will be the pick no matter who else is on the board, but majority rules made this an easy choice. All our other top guys were off the board. (Still on the board: Odrick, Iupati, Anthony Davis, Ryan Matthews)

Round 2, pick 44 - Arrelious Benn, WR, Illinois: This was a tough pick. We all really liked Benn, but we had hoped to wait on WR's. A mini run on WR's had started (Tate, Thomas, Williams). We were hoping to go DL. We liked Alualu but he went 3 picks ahead of us. Personally I wanted to take Corey Wooton here but nobody on the board liked that choice. One note about Benn, our insider indicates the Pats have shown more interest in Gilyard but this would be too early for him. For scoring, we don't want to draft guys too early and we think Benn could go earlier than this, so we made the pick. (Still on the board: Ducasse, Best, Wooton)

Round 2, pick 47 - TRADED TO DETROIT: This was interesting. A lot of guys here that we liked but when you do these live mocks it can be hard to narrow it down. All the guys kind of seem to be similar value and nobody was really jumping out at us. I still liked the idea of taking Wooton but could not convince anyone that it was a good pick. I inquired with some teams about trading down and Detroit made me an offer. He would give me his round 3 pick (3.2) and his fifth round pick (5.2) for my 2.47 pick. This was exactly what we were looking for. We still have another second coming up in a few picks and we gain an early third and an early fifth. (Detroit picked Jahvid Best with the pick)

Round 2, pick 53 - Ricky Sapp, OLB, Clemson: Again a tricky call. I had hoped Wooton would last to this pick but he went at 48. The Pats currently only have A.Thomas, TBC, and Crable on the roster as OLB's and the only one we know for sure will be playing for them this year is TBC. So it can't hurt to get a couple OLB's. Sapp's a risk-reward guy and we all felt late second round is a good time to take that chance. We felt with the extra picks we acquired from Detroit we could look go for a TE later. There were no RB's we liked at this point. We almost went with Lamarr Houston whom several of us really like, but we just don't think he fits the Pats defense. Our insider confirmed that he's not likely to be picked by the Pats. (Still on the board: Dwyer, Gronkowski, A. McCoy, Houston)

Round 3, pick 2 (from Detroit) - TRADED TO CLEVELAND: There were a lot of good players still on the board, making that trade down a good move. Cleveland REALLY, REALLY wanted this pick and we were able to get a great deal from them IMO. Prior to the draft I had decided I wanted to get rid of our sixth and two seventh round picks. That's because we had the four comp picks in those rounds and I didn't want to have to make 7 picks at the end of the draft (I fully expect BB to get rid of some of those, maybe trading for picks next year). I traded the 3.2 and 5.2 that I got from Detroit, as well as my sixth and two sevenths to Cleveland. Sounds like a lot to give up but in return we got Cleveland's 3.22 (ironically our original 3rd round pick) plus Cleveland's 4.7, 5.6, and 5.15. So basically we move back 20 spots, gain an early fourth and a mid fifth. (Cleveland picked Tim Tebow with the pick)

Round 3, pick 22 (from Cleveland) - Dexter McCluster, WR, Mississippi: Lots of mixed opinions on Dexter. He could really do a lot in the Pats offense as a slot guy, a 3rd down pass catching RB, a wing back, and of course as a returner. Most of us on the board really like him a lot and feel at 3.22 he gives us great value. The concern about his size is justified and he isn't the RB we're looking for, but we just felt like he's the kind of player BB would really like on his team. Gilyard, Gerhart, Ben Tate, Alex Carrington all went within 5 to 10 picks ahead of us. (Still on the board: Hardesty, Norwood, J. Graham)

Round 4, pick 7 (from Cleveland) - Dennis Pitta, TE, BYU: A poor man's Dallas Clark. We have our blocking TE in Crumpler, now we have a receiving TE. Good value in round 4. He's not gonna block anybody but he can be what the Pats hoped Dave Thomas would be, and in our opinion he's better than what they hoped Dave Thomas would be. Personally, I tend to prefer Tony Moeaki because he's a better all around TE, but I do like Pitta a lot and the guys on our board favored him. Our insider says the Pats really like him and he is a guy that could very likely end up being picked by the Pats. (Still on the board: Thaddeus Gibson, Eric Decker, Joe McKnight.. would have loved to take Gibson or Decker but we already addressed those positions)

Round 4, pick 21 - Javier Arenas, CB, Alabama: This was a value pick. We still wanted to get a DL but there just wasn't much left at this point. Mike Neal went one pick ahead of us, and we weren't sure of his fit in the Pats D anyway. You can never have enough CB's. We would have liked a bigger CB than this but we concluded that Arenas
was the best CB available at this point. He is also a great punt returner and without Welker, Arenas could pay dividends immediately. (Still on the board: Selvie, Anthony Dixon, LaGarrette Blount.. our insider felt that Blount is a guy the Pats won't take a chance on)

Round 5, pick 6 (from Cleveland) - Al Woods, DE, LSU: Again we feel we got good value. He won't be that impact DL that we wanted but there aren't many of those in this draft that can play 3-4 DE outside of Odrick and Wooton. He has a lot of upside, the Pats have shown interest in him, and he could end up getting drafted higher than this.

Round 5, pick 15 (from Cleveland) - Charles Scott, RB, LSU: We go back to back LSU here and take a big power back. Again, not one of the top guys, but with so many holes we could not fill every position with early picks. Scott showed signs this year of being a good NFL RB. At the very least he can convert those short yardage plays so the Pats
can stop throwing incomplete bombs on 3rd and short all the time.

Round 6 comp pick 205 - Zoltan Mesko, P, Michigan: We felt like this is a pick that could actually happen, maybe even before round 6. Titans picking 2 picks behind us said we stole the pick from them.

Round 7 comp pick 247 - Shelley Smith, OG, Colorado State: We never did get our OL. The Pats are wanting a G/C type in this draft and Smith could fit that role. He is likely to be drafted at least so that makes him worth picking as a comp pick in round 7.

Round 7 comp pick 248 - Doug Worthington, DE, Ohio State: The Pats have collected late round DL's for years so they probably don't need another one, but we felt Worthington will be drafted and has the skills to develop and compete with the other late round guys that are currently on the roster.

Round 7 comp pick 250 - Andre Dixon, RB, Connecticut: Final pick, probably no room on the roster for him, but we know the Pats are revamping their RB roster. Morris and Taylor won't be around much longer, same with Faulk, and the same can probably be said for Maroney. Keep Dixon around for a year or so and he could be in the mix sooner than later.

TNPatsFan
04-03-2010, 12:46 PM
Well there you have it. As the draft goes on you see how you could have done things differently. For example, we would have waited on WR's and even on OLB's if we had known how many good ones would drop as far as they did. Then we could have hit DL and RB earlier. But that's the way it goes. We think we got pretty good value with every pick and addressed some needs well even if we didn't really fill every hole. But the Pats have a lot of those this year so you just kind of have to take the best player available.

nepg
04-04-2010, 07:28 AM
Really like it through the Al Woods pick. After that, I like the punter and I like Dixon.

Not a fan of Charles. He's a poor man's Ron Dayne. That pick is somewhat premium, too... What other OL was available? You didn't end up with a developmental OT, which is a big dissappointment.

I'd grade it a B+. You did a great job with trades, and got some great value picks in the middle rounds (McCluster, Pitta, Arenas, Woods). I took off some points for the first two rounds being total Boom/Bust picks, which is atypical of the Pats. I also took off points for not addressing the OL enough (potential starter at OG, and developmental OT are needs that were missed).

Good job.

SeauOuch
04-04-2010, 10:29 AM
You got ripped off in that trade with Detroit ( 47th pick = 430 points, 66th + 130th pick = 302 points) You should of least made them swap 4th's, giving up over 100 points in trade value = fail.

I don't like Kindle as much as Hughes or Graham.

I hate Benn, WR that cant even produce in college ( 2 TD's in 2009??? )

Ricky Sapp, 5 whole sacks in 2009, cant stop the run to save his life, if this guy was B. Graham's height he would go in the 6th round. ugh

Dexter McCluster, I actually like McCluster just not for the pats. He doesnt have the size to play anything but slot & we already have 2 slot recievers.

Dennis Pitta, Finally someone I like, should be able to step in right away & produce. Great hands, great route running.

The rest..meh

If the Pats real draft play out like this I will be hitting the whiskey hard Friday night.

nepg
04-04-2010, 10:53 AM
McCluster would be more of a Faulk-type.

proshoota25
04-04-2010, 06:06 PM
benn also didnt have a very good qb while he was there, thats the reason for his low TD totals

nepg
04-04-2010, 09:31 PM
Demaryious Thomas had it worse.

FlyingElvis
04-05-2010, 01:04 PM
Love the trade down moves, though I agree the Lions should have given up more - a 4th instead of a 5th probably covers it.

The draft is very deep and the value for our 2nd round picks gets a bit jumbled. I like the moves to add a few extra picks through rounds 3-5 where there is immense value this year. Wootton is tough to take at 44 or 47 but the 5 tech is so shallow this year it just has to be done.

The RB situation is crazy. There's so much depth in this draft. I would rather have Hardesty of the bunch and you passed. BOOO!! lol

Same applies to WR, just like you saw.

Overall, I would be happy with a crop like this. I think Arenas, Pitta and McCluster make the trades well worth giving up one second rounder.

TNPatsFan
04-05-2010, 05:59 PM
Love the trade down moves, though I agree the Lions should have given up more - a 4th instead of a 5th probably covers it.

The draft is very deep and the value for our 2nd round picks gets a bit jumbled. I like the moves to add a few extra picks through rounds 3-5 where there is immense value this year. Wootton is tough to take at 44 or 47 but the 5 tech is so shallow this year it just has to be done.

The RB situation is crazy. There's so much depth in this draft. I would rather have Hardesty of the bunch and you passed. BOOO!! lol

Same applies to WR, just like you saw.

Overall, I would be happy with a crop like this. I think Arenas, Pitta and McCluster make the trades well worth giving up one second rounder.

Thanks for the comments. As for that Detroit trade, yeah maybe we could have asked for more. We're not really using trade value charts here. And when you're on the clock and have 10 minutes to pick and you don't get the offer until less than 5 minutes on the clock you dont have a whole lot of time to look up values and see what other picks the other team has, etc. We knew we had no 3rd or 5th round pick and they were offering us an early pick in both rounds, we did not have one guy we had to have at that 47 pick, and we still had another pick only 6 picks away, so to us it seemed like a good move.

I live in Tennessee and the Vols are one of my favorite teams. I like Hardesty a lot, but I have to say I think he is being overvalued a bit because of his good workouts. I don't think he's going to go that high. That's really the only reason we passed. If we could have gotten him later we would have done it.

If we had a do-over we'd wait on WR, take a DL in round 2, and possibly grab an OL or RB in round 2 or with the round 3 pick.

Jay
04-08-2010, 01:27 PM
I didn't know Shelley Smith left ESPN, but I do agree, she'd be a FANTASTIC pick for an offensive guard.

Matthew Jones
04-08-2010, 02:26 PM
Jay, really like your draft, but I think Odrick would have been the best pick in round one because we went a long time without getting one in that draft. Al Woods was your best pick though.

Wootylicous
04-09-2010, 12:02 PM
If we get Kindle I'm gonna cry tears of joy.