PDA

View Full Version : Why is Eric Berry a top 5 pick in everyone's eyes and Earl Thomas is not?

bigbuc
04-03-2010, 05:01 PM
Now lets start this off by saying that I'm not hating on Berry at all think he is an amazing player. Just want to know why he's a top 5 and Thomas is not.

In the last two years Thomas has had 135 tackles, 20 pass break up's, 10 int's and 5 FF.

He runs in the 4.3's and is the same size as Berry.

If people put talk about Suh and McCoy they say 1a and 1b.

Why not with these two? Just as much as Suh and McCoy will be connected through there careers these two should be as well.

Rosebud
04-03-2010, 05:04 PM
Berry's bigger, faster, hits harder and has just as much if not more range and playmaking ability?

AntoinCD
04-03-2010, 05:06 PM
Berry's bigger, faster, hits harder and has just as much if not more range and playmaking ability?

Agree with everything but range. Earl Thomas' range is scary good. Thomas also may not have the body to be able to consistently throw himself about which is why he may need to move to CB.

Playmaking ability is the big one though and Berry has that in spades

bigbuc
04-03-2010, 05:10 PM

Yeah your right Berry has 3 pounds, 1/2 inch and .2 seconds on him.

Don't give me this Bigger, Faster and Stronger stuff. You guys make it seem like Earl is a shrimp that can't run.

Brent
04-03-2010, 05:20 PM
Earl isnt great in run support.

MetSox17
04-03-2010, 05:21 PM
Honestly, i'm probably ET's biggest fan, but even i think he might be a little undersized to be a full time safety in the NFL. His coverage skills are top notch, and i think he can be a very good CB in the NFL if coached properly. Berry is looked more as a pure, play making safety, and teams covet that. ET is more of a 'tweener since he's probably in the 5'9 area (I think Scott's 5'10 1/2 is a little generous) and doesn't have the bulk some other safeties have. I think he's gonna be successful wherever he plays, but he has the potential to be an Asante Samuel type of corner (except he'll actually tackle).

MetSox17
04-03-2010, 05:26 PM
Earl isnt great in run support.

He isn't 03 Roy Williams in run support, but he's no slouch either. He more than handles his own.

Brent
04-03-2010, 05:28 PM
He isn't 03 Roy Williams in run support, but he's no slouch either. He more than handles his own.
I'm not saying he's terrible, but there are times when he doesn't sell out for a tackle. I remember that A&M game where he wouldn't go in for hits on JJ, he would let the ball carrier come to him, instead of charging.

V.I.P
04-03-2010, 05:30 PM
Why is Eric Berry a top 5 pick in everyone's eyes and Earl Thomas is not?

Mike Mayock is that you?

bigbuc
04-03-2010, 05:37 PM
Mike Mayock is that you?

Lol... I'm not saying that Earl is better than EB. What I'm asking is why no one has him up there with Berry.

Like if EB goes to KC at 5. And the Browns want a play making S, why not take Earl Thomas?

LonghornsLegend
04-03-2010, 05:42 PM
Berry probably does everything slightly better and is just a better prospect and has done it for a longer period of time in his college career. I also have to disagree about the range which is ET's strongest point and the first thing I noticed about his game.

I don't think he's undersized though, there's not much difference between him and Delmas in terms of weight and size.

He could do some CB, same as Huff when he came out, but you'd be taking away his range, play-making ability, and the way he reads the QB which is what makes him so good.

Just put him at FS and trust him to man up with a TE in different sets, to me that would be alot more valuable then just strictly a corner, because you know he can roam and make plays but still match up with a slot WR or TE time to time.

Really though Berry is just a better prospect, but it's not like they'll be drafted that far apart. Berry is probably going #7, ET could go as soon as Pittsburgh, there isn't really a big difference in terms of stock but Berry is better across the board slightly in most areas.

vidae
04-03-2010, 05:46 PM

Don't give me this Bigger, Faster and Stronger stuff. You guys make it seem like Earl is a shrimp that can't run.

Why do people come here and post combine/pro-day work out stuff as gospel?

FUNBUNCHER
04-03-2010, 05:52 PM

Earl Thomas admitted he bulked up about 8 pounds before the combine, which is perfectly fine. A prospect should do everything to improve his draft status and prepare his body for the rigors of the pro game.

Although Thomas is barely 5'10, Berry a hair under 6 foot. IMO Berry plays more physical and is more scheme versatile, because of his better size.

Neither is Taylor Mays from a stature standpoint, just saying Berry is a bit larger.

I think the real question you pose is, why is Berry considered the better playmaker over Thomas??

Berry just blew my mind his sophomore year at Tennessee; in many ways Thomas' junior year at Texas was equally impressive.

For most fans, Berry has been on folks' radar longer than Thomas has, but as pure football players, there's really not much difference.

As playmakers, my expectations for Berry would be the same I have for Thomas in the pros, in that, both have All-Pro, Ed Reed/Troy Polamau (mainly Berry) upside.

I'm a big Berry fan, but I respect the game Earl Thomas brings to the field and would love to have either one on my team.

BaLLiN
04-03-2010, 05:55 PM
Now lets start this off by saying that I'm not hating on Berry at all think he is an amazing player. Just want to know why he's a top 5 and Thomas is not.

In the last two years Thomas has had 135 tackles, 20 pass break up's, 10 int's and 5 FF.

Why not with these two? Just as much as Suh and McCoy will be connected through there careers these two should be as well.

Alright, don't know where you're getting that info. According to Scott and the combine, he ran a 4.49. Which is respectable considering he's not the type of player that really needs an incredible time to prove he's a talent.

You also exaggerated his 40, but didnt even care to look up his stats, Scott has him at 149 tackles, 33 PBU, and 10 INTS, but espn site said this:

52 Solo tackles
19 Assisted tackles
4 forced fumbles
2 interceptions

39 Solo tackles
18 Assisted tackles
1 forced fumble
8 interceptions
149 int. return yards
18.6 return avg.
92 long
2 TDs

Now due to my love of Earlz i may not be the person to evaluate this, but i think that Earl's hip movement, his fluidity, and his closing speed are amazing and alot of the reason why Mayock fell in love with him as well. He has pretty decent hands, very good instincts, but even when you say he has all that he doesn't have anywhere near the size you'd like for an NFL Safety. He's 5'9 and 7/8ths from the combine, but Scott has him at 5'10 1/4''. Either way he isn't very tall, not even really ideal height for a corner. His frame is small as well, and although tackling really wasn't a problem in college, there are alot of doubts he'll be able to hold up in the pro's. Part of me believes that he'll be alright in that area, but his size provides major worries.

Eric Berry is just phenomenal. He has equivalent or better natural instincts to make plays on the ball, but some of his highlight reels will be misleading because the ball really came to him. He has very good hands and very very very long arms which will not only help when leaping for a ball, but in seperating his body from a blocker's. He got a 4.47 40 according to scott, which is also perfectly fine for a player like him. He has the entire package, although he may not have the greatest backpedal or hip movement, those skills are much less detrimental as a safety than as a corner, which is why i believe he should stay at safety, although he technically could play corner.

Earl thomas screams Steelers corner, he has the physicality to play a 3-4 and support the run, as well as has the experience in zone, but could still play man to man with possession receivers.

MiWolves
04-03-2010, 05:55 PM
If Earl Thomas stayed in school one more year and made the defense avoid him like EB did I would've put them both equally as prospects

Saints-Tigers
04-03-2010, 05:58 PM
I'll say it now, since everyone seems to be dancing around the issue. Thomas isn't Berry's equal in coverage either. Berry is in the Ed Reed class in the deep middle.

BaLLiN
04-03-2010, 05:58 PM
Honestly, i'm probably ET's biggest fan

NO!!! I LOVE THE EARLZ! HE'S MINEEEEEEEe!

Rosebud
04-03-2010, 06:13 PM

Not at all, I love Earl and before we signed Antrelle Rolle would have been ecstatic with Earl at 15 despite his lack of size, which I think you're mistaken on, isn't Berry like 6 foot while Thomas closer to 5'10"? I know that sounds like something silly to make such a big fuss about, but when you're talking about safeties who are going to be asked to cover a lot of ground and make plays on the ball that extra length to go up for the ball against massive NFL receivers will make a big difference.

It also raises concerns over how well Thomas will be able to hold up in run support since Berry is already shown he's strong there as well. As for their speed again that's not to say the Thomas is slow, it's just that Berry's faster, Taylor Mays is faster than both of them, does that make either one of them slow? No, but just it still does give him a notch in that column over either of them.

So if Berry is a comparable player to Earl Thomas, which he is and IMO is a little better in coverage and notably better against the run, then the fact that Thomas is also a smidge lesser in each of the physical measureables adds onto that and creates this chasm of 10-15 picks that we see between the two of them.

villagewarrior
04-03-2010, 06:14 PM

Berry plays a lot bigger than he is, from what I've seen of Thomas, not so much. Thomas looks more like a corner than a safety to me.

MetSox17
04-03-2010, 06:44 PM
Oh, and for the record, Mike Mayock had Thomas clocked at 4.34 at the Texas Pro Day.

Paranoidmoonduck
04-03-2010, 06:44 PM
HEY GUYS ALERIC MULLINS IS BIGGER AND FASTER THAN NDAMUKONG SUH AND THAT IS TOTALLY RELEVANT!

I think there's an interesting discussion to be had when comparing Berry and Thomas but can we please stop having threads where the OP never even mentions game film and instead just references random combine measurements?

Aloysius
04-03-2010, 06:48 PM
Not at all, I love Earl and before we signed Antrelle Rolle would have been ecstatic with Earl at 15 despite his lack of size, which I think you're mistaken on, isn't Berry like 6 foot while Thomas closer to 5'10"? I know that sounds like something silly to make such a big fuss about, but when you're talking about safeties who are going to be asked to cover a lot of ground and make plays on the ball that extra length to go up for the ball against massive NFL receivers will make a big difference.
At the Combine, Earl Thomas measured in at 5'10 1/4" with 31 1/4" arms; Eric Berry measured in at 5'11 5/8" with 33 1/4" arms.

The arm measurements are interesting, as they could help explain why - when you're watching them on tape - Berry looks like he has a significant size/length advantage.

LonghornsLegend
04-03-2010, 06:49 PM
Earl Thomas is a RS Sophmore btw, he's not a Junior.

BeerBaron
04-03-2010, 06:49 PM
Is there nothing to be said of the fact that Berry dominated on a rather lousy team in the SEC? That alone is impressive...

BaLLiN
04-03-2010, 06:52 PM
Is there nothing to be said of the fact that Berry dominated on a rather lousy team in the SEC? That alone is impressive...

a lousy team that had talent on defense:

Jerod Mayo, Robert Ayers, Dan Williams, i know its three people, but those are all first round draft picks.

wonderbredd24
04-03-2010, 06:56 PM
It all comes down to tackling. Berry does it and does it with authority. Earl Thomas hasn't. It doesn't mean he can't necessarily, but he hasn't.

Berry's a guy you can play basically anywhere on the field, while Thomas is the better pure center fielder, which might make him more valuable in today's NFL, but I'll take Berry.

prock
04-03-2010, 06:59 PM
a lousy team that had talent on defense:

Jerod Mayo, Robert Ayers, Dan Williams, i know its three people, but those are all first round draft picks.

With all of those first rounders on the defense, opposing teams still game planned to avoid Berry.

Rosebud
04-03-2010, 07:01 PM
At the Combine, Earl Thomas measured in at 5'10 1/4" with 31 1/4" arms; Eric Berry measured in at 5'11 5/8" with 33 1/4" arms.

The arm measurements are interesting, as they could help explain why - when you're watching them on tape - Berry looks like he has a significant size/length advantage.

Yeah, that arm length has got to be it. Berry just looks so much longer on the field than Thomas and I think that's something we as draftniks like to neglect, just how important having long arms to play the ball as a DB can be. The giants have been collecting long armed corners and while they aren't huge play makers it really helps them break up passes and smother receivers. It's not really a negative against Earl but it is a positive for Berry.

zachsaints52
04-03-2010, 08:02 PM
Jameson Konz

End of thread.

BeerBaron
04-04-2010, 12:29 AM
With all of those first rounders on the defense, opposing teams still game planned to avoid Berry.

Exactly. Despite those guys being first rounders or not, the only one consistently avoided by opposing teams was Berry.

Earl Thomas may very well end up great, and if he goes to a team I like more than hate, I hope he does. But I think Berry will be the better player.

Babylon
04-04-2010, 12:36 AM
Is this a serious thread? i thought it was just the booze talking on a saturday night. there is actually a debate as to whether Berry is better than Thomas, wow!

Shane P. Hallam
04-04-2010, 12:37 AM

Watch the tape. Thomas has great instincts, but he lacks technique and fluidity. He does get beat at times, doesn't have the best tackling technique, gets ahead of himself and is overly aggressive. He's great and all, big time playmaker, but Berry is the better player in all aspects.

BigDawg819
04-04-2010, 01:52 AM
Watch the tape. Thomas has great instincts, but he lacks technique and fluidity. He does get beat at times, doesn't have the best tackling technique, gets ahead of himself and is overly aggressive. He's great and all, big time playmaker, but Berry is the better player in all aspects.

But Shane that uses logic which we all know is useless on the interwebzzz :rolleyes:

Saints-Tigers
04-04-2010, 02:19 AM
Seriously, I don't know where this "Thomas is the better centerfielder" stuff even came from, this is one of those things that happened after the season ended and Mayock stated it. Not that he's not a great centerfielder though.

SenorGato
04-04-2010, 02:22 AM
Berry's just the better player. Thomas is more raw than him...I could easily see Thomas struggling in his early years.

Paranoidmoonduck
04-04-2010, 02:29 AM
Seriously, I don't know where this "Thomas is the better centerfielder" stuff even came from, this is one of those things that happened after the season ended and Mayock stated it. Not that he's not a great centerfielder though.

I think that it's far easier to see Thomas making the transition into a typical NFL centerfield role. Berry almost never played that role consistently outside of his freshman year. His sophomore year he was allowed to play a face up rover position more and his junior year he was asked to play the LOS a lot more than previously. It's that same reason that people are more readily projecting Berry to CB than they are for Thomas despite the fact that on the surface Thomas' lack of size and less than great play against the run would be hidden.

Thomas is a safe pick if you put him at FS. Yes, he won't be able to jump with big receivers or take on power runners with a full head of steam, but he played really disciplined ball at Texas (he's easily the most consistent safety in my top 5 safeties of the draft) and has a lot of tape of him playing an NFL position. I'm pretty sure that's Mayock has him rated higher, he's always been quick to drop players who are a bit harder to project to the NFL despite their college play or athletic skill (see: Darren McFadden).

I think that, all things considered, the two could be rated very close. Berry's ceiling as either a safety or corner blows Thomas out of the water, in my opinion.

PhinsRock
04-04-2010, 12:06 PM

Berry is a full 2 inches taller, and plays with 13 pounds more. His arms are also 2 1/4 inches longer.

He's bigger, faster, a harder hitter, has more experience, 3 years all SEC.....

And as everybody has mentioned, the HUGE playmaking ability.

Not only that, but Berry is more versatile. Earl Thomas is a pure FS, and maybe a slot/nickel CB. He's not good in run support, cannot cover the TE 1v1, and is a liability downfield against big WR's.
Berry can play either FS, SS, or CB, has the size and physicality to match up 1v1 against the TE, has the speed and athleticism to go up with any WR down the field.

Berry is a great football player, and you can line him up anywhere on the field and watch him make plays and dominate, much the way TP43 does. Thomas is more of a finesse player who you worry about holding up physically in the NFL.

I like Earl Thomas alot, I think he's a good player. But to me, it's not even debatable. Eric Berry is the absolute truth and is the next big thing at S. Thomas is very good, but not a top 5 talent, especially not in this draft.

Pitt
04-04-2010, 12:45 PM
Since Berry will end up on the Chiefs, and Earl Thomas to the Steelers, give me Thomas for the "which one will be better in 3 years" category.

Jericho@SC
04-04-2010, 03:05 PM
Oh, and for the record, Mike Mayock had Thomas clocked at 4.34 at the Texas Pro Day.

Everyone is faster at their Pro Day. Wanna know why? It's because Colleges obviously try to tip the scales in their players' favor, like having them run on a fast track.

In general, you should add about .1 seconds to a players' Pro Day time.

Thomas' combine time is probably closer to what most scouts have him at. Either way, Berry's 4.3 compared to Thomas' 4.49 combine time is what separates he two.

bored of education
04-04-2010, 03:11 PM
Since Berry will end up on the Chiefs, and Earl Thomas to the Steelers, give me Thomas for the "which one will be better in 3 years" category.

so that makes Thomas better?

LonghornsLegend
04-04-2010, 04:31 PM
Berry is a full 2 inches taller, and plays with 13 pounds more. His arms are also 2 1/4 inches longer.

He's bigger, faster, a harder hitter, has more experience, 3 years all SEC.....

And as everybody has mentioned, the HUGE playmaking ability.

Not only that, but Berry is more versatile. Earl Thomas is a pure FS, and maybe a slot/nickel CB. He's not good in run support, cannot cover the TE 1v1, and is a liability downfield against big WR's.
Berry can play either FS, SS, or CB, has the size and physicality to match up 1v1 against the TE, has the speed and athleticism to go up with any WR down the field.

Berry is a great football player, and you can line him up anywhere on the field and watch him make plays and dominate, much the way TP43 does. Thomas is more of a finesse player who you worry about holding up physically in the NFL.

I like Earl Thomas alot, I think he's a good player. But to me, it's not even debatable. Eric Berry is the absolute truth and is the next big thing at S. Thomas is very good, but not a top 5 talent, especially not in this draft.

There's alot wrong with this post, not in regards to Berry but Thomas.

I'd love to know how or why Earl Thomas couldn't cover a TE 1 on 1 in space, that's absolutely false and the complete opposite so I'm guessing that part was just thrown in with the rest. That's one of his positives that he'll definately be able to do. Michael Huff was the exact same way, looked upon as a FS/CB tweener, and Huff for the most part of his career in Oakland covered the TE and did it very well. There is no doubt at all about Thomas being able to cover a TE, or even a slot WR.

I'd also question that Berry is more versatile. Not saying that it's entirely false, but when you can play FS or CB, play deep centerfield and make plays on the ball, or cover WR's or TE's man to man, not really sure how much more versatile a safety could be honestly.

Both players have HUGE play-making ability, so even if you rate Berry higher it's something that would be noted that both players do very well, not one or the other.

Also it's completely made up where you talk about Thomas being a liability downfield vs bigger WR's and I would ask you how you came to that conclusion but it's obvious it was just something you made up. You don't have to be a 6'4 FS to play coverage downfield vs bigger WR's at all, you need to have great instincts, range, speed, and know how to time the ball to knock it away, everything Thomas does have.

Ed Reed is under 6 feet and he's not a liability downfield vs a WR 6'6 or 5'10.

Thomas is not just a finesse player, did Louis Delmas have any trouble holding up last year? I know guys love the prototype 220 lb safety but if a guy is in the range of 205 and packs the weight well that's good enough. He's a rangy FS, your not going to expect him to be Patrick Willis in run support but he's more then a willing tackler who doesn't mind sticking his nose into the ball carrier.

As I've said Berry is better in most categories, and has done it longer, that's why his stock is better and he's a better prospect, but you can't just make up stuff for your argument that's completely false.

Paranoidmoonduck
04-04-2010, 04:37 PM
There's alot wrong with this post, not in regards to Berry but Thomas.

Two quick things. Huff may have physically been a FS/CB tweener, but he played SS for the Longhorns while Michael Griffen played more of FS role similar to Thomas' and Louis Delmas played the run in college as well as any safety I've ever seen at that size. Thomas doesn't really match up there.

MetSox17
04-04-2010, 04:38 PM
Watch the tape. Thomas has great instincts, but he lacks technique and fluidity. He does get beat at times, doesn't have the best tackling technique, gets ahead of himself and is overly aggressive.

What tape are you watching? Cause most of this post makes me think you're just talking out of your ass.

FUNBUNCHER
04-04-2010, 04:59 PM
In the NC game I distinctly remember 'little' Earl Thomas flying up from the secondary to blast Mark Ingram's legs before he could turn up a run past the LOS.
When he has to, he can play physical, but I don't think he has the physique to hold up playing that type of game.

Sniper
04-04-2010, 05:02 PM
What tape are you watching? Cause most of this post makes me think you're just talking out of your ass.

The gauntlet has been thrown down.

wonderbredd24
04-04-2010, 05:12 PM
Thomas is not just a finesse player, did Louis Delmas have any trouble holding up last year?

What do these two things have to do with each other?

Louis Delmas plays like a guy with reckless abandon. He was a hitter in college and no one doubted it. In fact, my biggest concern with Delmas was how he hit... so many clips the guy kept leading with his head and my fear as a Lions fan would be that he's going to concuss himself out of the league like Brodney Pool is trying to do or become paralyzed.

Earl Thomas doesn't play like Louis Delmas. He doesn't play like Bob Sanders. He doesn't play like any hitters at all.

Sizewise, they might be similar, but that's it.

PACKmanN
04-04-2010, 05:25 PM
If Jim Leonhard's body is able to hold up, why isn't Thomas'

wonderbredd24
04-04-2010, 05:29 PM
If Jim Leonhard's body is able to hold up, why isn't Thomas'
The answer should be obvious.

Not everyone is built the same way or has the same threshold of pain and luck is also a factor.

I have no idea if Thomas' body will hold up or not, but was just answering the general question.

Courtney Brown should have been a God on the football field, but despite not having injuries in high school or college, his body consistently let him down in the NFL

bored of education
04-04-2010, 05:46 PM
I still don't know how having a team around a player makes him better than a different player, esp since neither have played a down of NFL football.

LonghornsLegend
04-04-2010, 06:22 PM
What do these two things have to do with each other?

Louis Delmas plays like a guy with reckless abandon. He was a hitter in college and no one doubted it. In fact, my biggest concern with Delmas was how he hit... so many clips the guy kept leading with his head and my fear as a Lions fan would be that he's going to concuss himself out of the league like Brodney Pool is trying to do or become paralyzed.

Earl Thomas doesn't play like Louis Delmas. He doesn't play like Bob Sanders. He doesn't play like any hitters at all.

Sizewise, they might be similar, but that's it.

That's what those things have to do with eachother.

People act like Thomas is too small to play Safety yet it was no problem for Delmas. It doesn't have anything to do with how well they tackle, or how willing of a tackler they are, but I don't see the point in trying to question the size and frame of Thomas like he's the smallest safety ever to try and make the jump.

Pitt
04-04-2010, 06:46 PM
so that makes Thomas better?

bored of education
04-04-2010, 06:53 PM

Where does your post fit in with the original point of this thread?

yourfavestoner
04-05-2010, 10:48 AM
This is nothing more than an anecdotal observation, but I just get the feeling Thomas is going to be too small to make it as an NFL safety. His range is fantastic, but I shudder imagining him trying to cover and tackle an NFL tight end or big receiver or tackling a 220 pound runningback.

superfly69
04-05-2010, 06:24 PM
I think Thomas could go as high as #7 to the Browns, if berry is already gone. They have major secondary issues and I think his stock is really starting to shoot up.