PDA

View Full Version : Jared Gaither vs 1st Round OT's

Oaktown1981
04-04-2010, 01:50 PM
Who would you rather have?

If I'm a team in the 1st looking to draft an OT I'd try and trade for Gaither.

Here is what KC Joyner had to say about Gaither of whom he has listed as one of his top three free agents to bid on:

"Gaither has been a starter for the past two seasons and in that time his metrics have been nothing short of superb. He has allowed only seven total sacks in 27 games and only one of these was a one-on-one sack (defined as when a defender beats a blocker in a one-on-one environment and tackles the quarterback in the pocket within three seconds of the snap). That illustrates Gaither's dominant pass blocking skills, but his run blocking numbers are also quite notable. Gaither was at the Point of Attack (POA) on 300 running plays the past two years and he won his block 255 times, or 85 percent of the time. That is a solid number on its own, but his 2009 POA win rate of 89.0 percent is even more noteworthy. To put that total into perspective, consider that in a typical NFL season, a little less than one out of ten offensive linemen will crack the 90 percent POA win mark. Gaither was on the precipice of that mark last year despite battling injuries."

Why spend 50 mil on a rookie when you can give a similar contract to a proven player who is only 23 years old?

Babylon
04-04-2010, 02:16 PM
The part about spending 50 million on a tackle in the draft is a little misleading seeing as Michael Oher signed for about 15 million total.

If you're asking would you want Gaither over Okung/Bulaga/Williams i would answer no. Would he be better than the next 2 or 3 tackles would probably be the better question.

Matthew Jones
04-05-2010, 10:20 AM
If a team is willing to pay Gaither, it might make a lot of sense for someone to trade for him. The value on trading a high second-round pick for Gaither is great, seeing as he's an excellent young LT, and if you're an OT-needy team you are now free to spend your first-round pick elsewhere. A team like Buffalo could trade their second-round pick for Gaither and draft Clausen at #9 and immediately be a much better team than they were last year. No idea on whether or not Ralph would pay up for both players but it's easy to see how much they'd improve on what they had last year.

killxswitch
04-05-2010, 10:23 AM
Other than his rumored work ethic problems it seems like a no-brainer. But then you have to wonder why it hasn't happened yet. I guess teams might wait to see how the draft shakes out?

AntoinCD
04-05-2010, 10:26 AM
There has to be something about Gaither that worries me. Why do the Ravens want rid of him when they could have great young bookend tackles for the next 10 years???

He has had some injury concerns so if I was a team interested in him I would make sure the physical he has to pass is thorough.

I would also take Gaither over any OT in this draft assuming he checks out physically. Right now he is probably a top 5-7 LT in the league and he is a proven commodity. I would much rather him than paying a similar contract to a guy who may bust.

Buffalo as the example was used above could go two ways

1. Top OT on board which would probably be Davis or Campbell then Tebow or McCoy in the second

2. Jimmy Clausen(if available) and Jared Gaither.

For me that is a no brainer

Shane P. Hallam
04-05-2010, 10:42 AM
There has to be something about Gaither that worries me. Why do the Ravens want rid of him when they could have great young bookend tackles for the next 10 years???

He has had some injury concerns so if I was a team interested in him I would make sure the physical he has to pass is thorough.

I would also take Gaither over any OT in this draft assuming he checks out physically. Right now he is probably a top 5-7 LT in the league and he is a proven commodity. I would much rather him than paying a similar contract to a guy who may bust.

1. Top OT on board which would probably be Davis or Campbell then Tebow or McCoy in the second

Exactly, Ozzie Newsome is no dummy. With a major injury to Gaither as well, he isn't an elite LT as some of these guys could be.

zachsaints52
04-05-2010, 10:51 AM
The part about spending 50 million on a tackle in the draft is a little misleading seeing as Michael Oher signed for about 15 million total.

I think he was talking about Okung being a Top 5 pick, not someone at the middle-bottom first.

yourfavestoner
04-05-2010, 10:53 AM

If you're asking would you want Gaither over Okung/Bulaga/Williams i would answer no. Would he be better than the next 2 or 3 tackles would probably be the better question.

Exactly. The first round of the draft (outside of the top 10) is still very, very inexpensive compared to free agents and trades. You're much more likely to end up paying Gaither $50 million than a rookie tackle in the middle of the first round.

villagewarrior
04-05-2010, 11:32 AM

I agree with these sentiments exactly, however if it could be assured that Gaither was fine physically and the only reason the Ravens are looking to move him is money than you very well could have a major steal for a 2nd round pick.

coordinator0
04-05-2010, 12:02 PM
Exactly, Ozzie Newsome is no dummy. With a major injury to Gaither as well, he isn't an elite LT as some of these guys could be.

What major injury do you speak of?

PhysicalwithanF
04-05-2010, 12:18 PM
Shane is correct, Newsome is one of the best in the biz, he must know something about Gaither that we dont. Yes its true that he wants a new contract and its true that they feel confident in sliding Oher to LT..but money cant be the only reason. Must be a combo of money, injury and or lack of faith in his actual playing ability. Otherwise i have no idea as to why teams like my Niners arent making a move..

killxswitch
04-05-2010, 12:21 PM
Shane is correct, Newsome is one of the best in the biz, he must know something about Gaither that we dont.

Maybe the Ravens have talked with him about moving him to RT and he knows LTs make the most money and doesn't want to do it. Oher might be better than Gaither (probably a good chance of it), but Gaither is still a better LT than most in the NFL. Maybe he's told the team he won't sign with them long-term unless it's at LT, and the Ravens want to get something for him instead of just letting him go.

coordinator0
04-05-2010, 12:26 PM
Maybe the Ravens have talked with him about moving him to RT and he knows LTs make the most money and doesn't want to do it. Oher might be better than Gaither (probably a good chance of it), but Gaither is still a better LT than most in the NFL. Maybe he's told the team he won't sign with them long-term unless it's at LT, and the Ravens want to get something for him instead of just letting him go.

Gaither has already stated that he wants to be a LT.

http://blogs.baltimoreravens.com/?p=4694

“I’m a left tackle, so why would I even think about playing right?” Gaither asked. ”That would be like asking Joe Flacco if he wants to play running back. Left tackle is my position, and that’s where I want to be.”

We definitely aren't looking to move him to RT though, Oher is a better RT than Gaither and Gaither is a better LT than Oher.

killxswitch
04-05-2010, 12:44 PM
Gaither has already stated that he wants to be a LT.

http://blogs.baltimoreravens.com/?p=4694

We definitely aren't looking to move him to RT though, Oher is a better RT than Gaither and Gaither is a better LT than Oher.

I thought I'd read the Ravens wanted to move Oher to the left side this season.

coordinator0
04-05-2010, 12:51 PM
I thought I'd read the Ravens wanted to move Oher to the left side this season.

Where? All I've seen is speculation from fans. Honestly i don't think Oher will be a great LT. He's capable of playing the position, but just not going to be great (or as good as Gaither at that spot).

bigbuc
04-05-2010, 12:55 PM
Gaither was the LT for the best running team in the league two years ago and is also a pretty good pass blocker as well. He's also enormous at 6'9 340. Plus he's only 24 years old. Name 8 better Lt's than Gaither in the NFL right now? I can't understand why teams are not giving up late firsts or early seconds for this guy.

Teams that should trade for him are
Dallas
Green Bay
Colts
Detroit
Oakland
KC
Seattle

These teams should trade a late first or second for him.

killxswitch
04-05-2010, 12:59 PM
Where? All I've seen is speculation from fans. Honestly i don't think Oher will be a great LT. He's capable of playing the position, but just not going to be great (or as good as Gaither at that spot).

It's possible I read the board chatter about it a while back and it eventually became fact in my mind, it happens. I don't follow the Ravens that closely.

What is it about Oher's game that makes you say he wouldn't be a great LT?

coordinator0
04-05-2010, 01:08 PM
It's possible I read the board chatter about it a while back and it eventually became fact in my mind, it happens. I don't follow the Ravens that closely.

What is it about Oher's game that makes you say he wouldn't be a great LT?

I just think that he's better suited to play against "power" pass-rushers that you see moreso on the right side than the "speed" pass-rushers that you see on the left side. I will say this however, it looked like he was a better pair with Grubbs than Gaither was (although this is probably because they're both "power" players).

FlyingElvis
04-05-2010, 01:29 PM
He's not worth trading a top 10, no.

My impression was simply that the Ravens know they have to young OTs that can handle the LT position. If they can get a premium pick for Gaither they can cash in and draft or sign an RT. Why not try and flip him for a pick in the 25 - 40 range?

Detroit is the team I think should make that move. Then they can take Suh instead of Okung. I'd bet B-more would jump at the chance to nab the 34th pick overall.

bitonti
04-05-2010, 02:19 PM
no one knows this player better than Ozzie Newsome... there's a reason he's gonna be traded... and it's not purely money. Heck there was a reason why they took Oher last year in the first place. the other shoe will eventually drop... count on it.

coordinator0
04-05-2010, 02:21 PM
no one knows this player better than Ozzie Newsome... there's a reason he's gonna be traded... and it's not purely money. Heck there was a reason why they took Oher last year in the first place. the other shoe will eventually drop... count on it.

Yeah, he was a great talent that dropped and we had a legitimate hole at RT.

bitonti
04-05-2010, 02:23 PM
Yeah, he was a great talent that dropped and we had a legitimate hole at RT.

most GMs dont take RTs in round 1... they knew Gaither was gone... and Oher will be a better LT over the course of his career than Gaither...despite Gaither being bigger.

Caddy
04-05-2010, 02:27 PM
I'd trade 35 or 43 for him. But the Bucs are too tight and would never do it.

bigbuc
04-05-2010, 02:41 PM
I'd trade 35 or 43 for him. But the Bucs are too tight and would never do it.

I was thinking the same thing. I would give up 43 for him and move Penn to the right side. We would have two bookend tackles for the next 6 to 8 years.

FlyingElvis
04-05-2010, 04:03 PM
most GMs dont take RTs in round 1... they knew Gaither was gone... and Oher will be a better LT over the course of his career than Gaither...despite Gaither being bigger.

Most GMs take the best available player. Especially at 20something.

Addict
04-05-2010, 04:14 PM
He's not worth trading a top 10, no.

My impression was simply that the Ravens know they have to young OTs that can handle the LT position. If they can get a premium pick for Gaither they can cash in and draft or sign an RT. Why not try and flip him for a pick in the 25 - 40 range?

Detroit is the team I think should make that move. Then they can take Suh instead of Okung. I'd bet B-more would jump at the chance to nab the 34th pick overall.

they will take Suh over Okung.

bigbuc
04-05-2010, 04:28 PM
What if the Skins trade there first rounder for Gaither and Baltimore's first rounder... It would give the Skins the LT they need, and Balt will get a Blue chipper like Berry or Jpp or Joe Haden.

SKim172
04-05-2010, 04:42 PM
As far as I can tell as a Ravens fan, Jared was a hardworking pleasant surprise in the supplemental draft ... until this offseason. Now half the fanbase says it's common knowledge that Gaither's a total bum.

All I know is that there's a trail of quotes from coaches, players, and reporters praising Gaither's work ethic leading back to 2008, when he played two games with one arm. Now I'm hearing rumors from "inside sources" that Gaither has an inconsistent work ethic, that he's difficult for staff to work with, that he hangs out with shady characters, and that he has a pot addiction.

My guess? Well, Gaither hasn't been technically put on the trading block - the speculation mainly stems from the fact that they haven't signed a long-term deal and that they only gave him a first round tender.

So I'd say they don't want to pay him franchise tackle money when they've already got Oher eating up cap, so they decided to go with the lower tender to see what options might be out there. I would say generally, they're happy with keeping Gaither another year and then letting him walk, but they're also willing to see if they're any good enough offers out there.

I'd also say the fanbase needs to realize that "Blindside" is actually a movie and Oher's mom is not actually blond Sandra Bullock. And that Jared Gaither is not evil and not the villain preventing Michael Oher from reaching his storybook ending. That role is filled by the coaching staff that, at this point, still has Gaither and his two years of starting experience penciled in as the starter. Oher will get his happily ever after eventually.

I've actually heard people use "The Blindside" as their reason for why Gaither sucks.

Oh, and apparently, if you don't condemn Gaither as a lazy bum, then you're obviously a Terps homer.

/Rutgers fan
/very bitter

Ravens1991
04-05-2010, 04:49 PM
Many people think the reason we will let him go is to get Ngata locked up for long term.

BmoreBlackByrdz
04-05-2010, 05:12 PM
yaeh, come next year Ngata and Gaither will both be free agents.

It's going to be hard for Newsome to sign a top 10 LT and a top 3 DT in the same offseason. Both are going to want mammoth contracts and both (especially Ngata) deserve them.

LonghornsLegend
04-05-2010, 05:17 PM
I don't think the injury concerns are legit honestly. Teams have to give physicals to players, and do research on the original back injury he suffered, what sense does it make to act like Ozzie knows about the injury yet the team he'd be traded to would have no clue what's going on? Many a trades are cancelled because of failed physicals, it's not like Ozzie can keep some huge injury a secret and bamboozle another team into a trade without knowledge.

When is Ngata due for an extension? What about Flacco? Baltimore has to let good players go, that's what good programs do that draft well. If they had traded Jason Brown a year ago they could of gotten a late 1st and instead he walked for free in FA and he's young, and easily one of the best centers in the game still.

If they feel like he's the odd man out eventually, which RT's are easier to replace to be honest, then why not get a high pick on a cheap contract vs losing him for nothing?

Maybe they can afford to re-sign him, but which other high profile player due for a contract in the next 2-3 years will have to walk because of the money tied up into him?

I'm not buying the injury stuff to be honest, teams do their research on stuff like that. Their just fielding offers to see where the market is and trying to get a high pick vs losing a player in FA for free. Does anyone think they wanted to let Jason Brown go? Right when you have a franchise QB?

I don't. Sometimes you can't afford everyone, and their probably just doing their due diligence before it happens again.

LonghornsLegend
04-05-2010, 05:21 PM
What if the Skins trade there first rounder for Gaither and Baltimore's first rounder... It would give the Skins the LT they need, and Balt will get a Blue chipper like Berry or Jpp or Joe Haden.

I brought this up to someone else in the McNabb thread. If financial issues are one of the reasons they want to shop him, why would they want a top 5 contract? If they were willing to take on a mega contract they would just give it to Gaither and keep what pick they have to begin with.

Brothgar
04-05-2010, 05:26 PM
My take

Okung > Williams > Bulaga = Gaither > the field

bigbuc
04-05-2010, 06:10 PM
I brought this up to someone else in the McNabb thread. If financial issues are one of the reasons they want to shop him, why would they want a top 5 contract? If they were willing to take on a mega contract they would just give it to Gaither and keep what pick they have to begin with.

They have a player that can come and play LT in Oher... They don't have a player that could replace Reed which they could get by moving up to 4... in Berry or in a draft day shocker a Earl Thomas which has some Reed in him.

coordinator0
04-05-2010, 06:16 PM
They have a player that can come and play LT in Oher... They don't have a player that could replace Reed which they could get by moving up to 4... in Berry or in a draft day shocker a Earl Thomas which has some Reed in him.

That doesn't explain the financial concerns.

bigbuc
04-05-2010, 06:24 PM
That doesn't explain the financial concerns.

They have a cheaper player in Oher that could move in and play LT. But they don't have a cheaper player or any player that could replace Reed. So maybe they don't want to spend there money on tackle because of Oher but would be willing to spend it on Berry due to the fact that they will soon be losing Reed and don't have a player of his caliber on the roster.

nepg
04-05-2010, 06:51 PM

Because Oher's better than Gaither at LT, and they are loaded behind Oher at RT. It only makes sense to shop him around. If they get rid of him, their OL loses nothing. It's the perfect scenario. Worst-case is that the Ravens end up keeping Gaither on the cheap.

And Gaither is two or three levels above any LT you'd be able to draft. It'd be stupid for any team in the Top 10 that's looking at OT's to not offer up their second round pick.

coordinator0
04-05-2010, 07:30 PM
Because Oher's better than Gaither at LT, and they are loaded behind Oher at RT. It only makes sense to shop him around. If they get rid of him, their OL loses nothing. It's the perfect scenario. Worst-case is that the Ravens end up keeping Gaither on the cheap.

And Gaither is two or three levels above any LT you'd be able to draft. It'd be stupid for any team in the Top 10 that's looking at OT's to not offer up their second round pick.

What? We most definitely are not loaded behind Oher at RT. The only guy that has any real potential at the position is Oniel Cousins, and even he didn't look that good last season when he stepped in. He's a great run-blocker, but pass protection kills him. He's much better suited as a guard IMO. And no, Oher is not better than Gaither at LT.

LonghornsLegend
04-05-2010, 08:05 PM
What? We most definitely are not loaded behind Oher at RT. The only guy that has any real potential at the position is Oniel Cousins, and even he didn't look that good last season when he stepped in. He's a great run-blocker, but pass protection kills him. He's much better suited as a guard IMO. And no, Oher is not better than Gaither at LT.

The coaching staff thinks so:

Ravens offensive coordinator Cam Cameron expressed confidence that Oniel Cousins has "starter ability" at right tackle.
"If Oniel Cousins winds up being the starter, we are playing with a starter," said Cameron. "We're not playing with a backup." The team's confidence in Cousins helps explain their apparent willingness to part with Jared Gaither for the right price. Cousins held his own in two games last season before LaMarr Woodley devastated him in a third game.
Source: baltimoreravens.com

I find the comments quite odd if they weren't thinking ahead of life without Gaither. You don't make those type of comments if your not.

Also Oher probably wasn't better then Gaither last year, but he was a rookie. Did you expect him to play better then a dude who had already been playing the position? By all accounts Oher can develop into a pro bowl LT very easily, but I don't think comparing how they played last year does anything honestly, most rookies don't play better then guys who have been at the position for years.

coordinator0
04-05-2010, 08:10 PM

I find the comments quite odd if they weren't thinking ahead of life without Gaither. You don't make those type of comments if your not.

Also Oher probably wasn't better then Gaither last year, but he was a rookie. Did you expect him to play better then a dude who had already been playing the position? By all accounts Oher can develop into a pro bowl LT very easily, but I don't think comparing how they played last year does anything honestly, most rookies don't play better then guys who have been at the position for years.

I read that article when it came out on the Ravens website. All I can say is that the tape don't don't lie, but it's hard for the coaching staff not to like the guy. He's a hard worker who the Ravens invested a 3rd round draft pick in. I just think he's not a good pass-protector on the outside.

YotoJets007
04-05-2010, 09:49 PM
One article mentioned that Jets have eyed for a big move by April 22.

Marshall? I dont see that way.

I like to see 3 way trade with 49ers and Ravens.

49ers: LT Gaither and RB/RS Leon Washington.
Ravens: Jets' 29th overall selection.
Jets: 49ers' 13th overall selection.

That way Jets have better choice of high upside prospects at 13th than 29th like Dan Williams, Earl Thomas, Dez Bryant or CJ Spiller. 49ers could finish 1st round with Gaither, Washington and draftee Mays. Ravens could land TE and CB with their first round selections.

coordinator0
04-05-2010, 09:51 PM
The Jets trade Leon Washington and the 29th pick for the 13th pick? Hahahahaha you make me laugh. On a side note, has SF given up on Staley as their LT?

YotoJets007
04-05-2010, 09:59 PM
The Jets trade Leon Washington and the 29th pick for the 13th pick? Hahahahaha you make me laugh. On a side note, has SF given up on Staley as their LT?

Washington is a 2nd round tender. it could be done.

Who cares about where will Staley play. Staley is not exactly alike Gaither who whines about a specific position. As long as Gaither not a rookie with question marks starts with Staley, OL gets strengthened. It is all that matters.

coordinator0
04-05-2010, 10:03 PM

Who cares about where will Staley play. Staley is not exactly alike Gaither who whines about a specific position. As long as Gaither not a rookie with question marks starts with Staley, OL gets strengthened. It is all that matters.

Not to move up 16 spots in the first round. He's not that valuable coming off of a season ending injury like that.

As for Staley, I just don't think he's suited to play the right side (and neither is Gaither).

YotoJets007
04-05-2010, 10:07 PM
Not to move up 16 spots in the first round. He's not that valuable coming off of a season ending injury like that.

As for Staley, I just don't think he's suited to play the right side (and neither is Gaither).

Why dont you shut up? lol.

Yeah, it is unlikely. Too bad, 49ers need RS badly.

phlysac
04-05-2010, 10:35 PM
Staley is not exactly alike Gaither who whines about a specific position. As long as Gaither not a rookie with question marks starts with Staley, OL gets strengthened. It is all that matters.

Here's a quote from Joe Staley on March 29, 2010 about the prospects of him moving back to RT...
They haven't talked to me about that at all. I'm preparing this year to be the left tackle for the 49ers. That's my mindset going in. Obviously it's the coaching staff and front office's job to put the best 11 guys out there on offense. Wherever I'm the best fit is where I'll play. But I'm going into the offseason with the mindset of being the left tackle.
http://www.sacbee.com/static/weblogs/49ers/archives/2010/03/smith-niners-mu.html

Splat
04-05-2010, 10:40 PM
I would be fine with the Chiefs giving up a second for him.

YotoJets007
04-05-2010, 10:46 PM
Here's a quote from Joe Staley on March 29, 2010 about the prospects of him moving back to RT...

Umm.. Singly is not exactly a person who plays with words, hence no Gaither for 49ers.

Caddy
04-05-2010, 10:46 PM
I was thinking the same thing. I would give up 43 for him and move Penn to the right side. We would have two bookend tackles for the next 6 to 8 years.

Penn wouldn't resign to play RT.

YotoJets007
04-05-2010, 10:47 PM
Penn wouldn't resign to play RT.

He has no leverage so he has to lose some weight.

YotoJets007
04-05-2010, 10:49 PM
I would be fine with the Chiefs giving up a second for him.

Gaither may not fit this scheme. Haley likes to have finesse OL.

SKim172
04-05-2010, 11:33 PM

I'd say it's more of a statement along the lines of "We believe Cousins can do it" rather than "Cousins is definitely start-worthy." Cousins is a nice guy, a hard-worker, but unfortunately, he gets beaten like a drum. When Oher went to the left last year and Cousins took over, life became a painful nightmare for Joe Flacco.

I agree that keeping Gaither long-term might not be a great move salary-wise. But I also think there's nothing wrong with just keeping him around for one more season and letting him walk.

I've been making this argument over and over again with Ravens fans, but you can't base personnel decisions on how much you'll get for them - otherwise, you end up trading all your players because then you won't get any picks when they leave.

Basically, it comes down to what's worth more: Early round pick minus the cost of getting a starter RT versus one season of Gaither. All depends on how Gaither plays, I guess. I just don't think finding another OT is a distraction worth chasing for the Ravens right now.

CC.SD
04-05-2010, 11:58 PM

lol, I wish it worked like that. Hey, Sproles is a 1st and 3rd tender. Who wants some...

49ersFan_vienna
04-06-2010, 09:59 AM
As there is a strong possibility that 4 OT go in the Top10 i do not unterstand why the 49ers do not pack theis 2nd and 4th Rounder an get the desired help at OT.

Taking Haden/Spiller at 13 and Thomas/Iupati at 17 and this team will instantly be a serious PlayOff Contentder, no matter what they pick in Rounds 3,5,6, and 7.

OT,LG,S,CB are the four Major concerns for this team.
2-3 could easily be solved after Day1 of the draft.

DeathbyStat
04-06-2010, 10:03 AM
I would put gaither above all except for Okung

UK_Raider
04-06-2010, 10:13 AM

Having not seen Gaither much, are you saying he'd be better in a "power" scheme?? Which leads me to ask, with their supposed switch to this type of blocking from zone, would he be a fit in Oakland??

Splat
04-06-2010, 10:21 AM
I would put gaither above all except for Okung

Pretty much my thoughts.

yourfavestoner
04-06-2010, 10:43 AM

Having not seen Gaither much, are you saying he'd be better in a "power" scheme?? Which leads me to ask, with their supposed switch to this type of blocking from zone, would he be a fit in Oakland??

Just because Gaither is big doesn't mean he's a mauler. He's not a power lineman at all. His size actually hurt him, because he doesn't have the flexibility to sink his hips and drive through the defender. This makes him pretty limited in his run blocking, he's very finesse. His game is all about positioning his body and walling the defender off as opposed to using his size and strength to drive the defender off the ball.

YotoJets007
04-06-2010, 11:15 AM
lol, I wish it worked like that. Hey, Sproles is a 1st and 3rd tender. Who wants some...

lets swap. It saves you some $$$. lol.

Seriously, I think this tender price should be fixed on a specific position like F tag.

yourfavestoner
04-06-2010, 11:20 AM
lets swap. It saves you some $$$. lol.

Seriously, I think this tender price should be fixed on a specific position like F tag.

The franchise tag isn't a fixed price either. It's either the average of the top five at the player's position or a 120% increase of his salary from the previous year, whichever is greater.

YotoJets007
04-06-2010, 11:26 AM

ZBS has many different assignments. Shanahan likes to have cut blocking OL but I am not sure he will use this blocking scheme for Redskins. Packers, Jets and Panthers use power zbs.

Haley likes to have OL that can move around well. He has no interest in "athletic for size" linemen. I dont see Gaither will move around well for his liking.

Jared Gaither is not a dominating mauler but he is belonging to power scheme in either man or zone.

YotoJets007
04-06-2010, 11:28 AM
The franchise tag isn't a fixed price either. It's either the average of the top five at the player's position or a 120% increase of his salary from the previous year, whichever is greater.

That is the point. WR, DT and QB have same price? come on.

yourfavestoner
04-06-2010, 11:31 AM

http://blog.pharmalive.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/06/o_rly.jpg

Addict
04-06-2010, 11:43 AM

I still don't get your point.

BigBanger
04-06-2010, 02:48 PM
People put way too much stock into first rounders. Gaither is YOUNG and already close to DOMINANT. If he fits your system and you lack a LT and you plan on taking a LT in the first round of the Draft this year, logic would tell you to just trade the ******* pick because no LT in this years draft is better or close to the ability of Gaither right now and they're gonna cost as much, if not more money.

yourfavestoner
04-06-2010, 04:53 PM
People put way too much stock into first rounders. Gaither is YOUNG and already close to DOMINANT. If he fits your system and you lack a LT and you plan on taking a LT in the first round of the Draft this year, logic would tell you to just trade the ******* pick because no LT in this years draft is better or close to the ability of Gaither right now and they're gonna cost as much, if not more money.

It depends on where you're picking in the first round. The only prospects who will get close to the money Gaither will get are guys in the top 10. After that, Gaither becomes a much more expensive option.

nepg
04-06-2010, 05:15 PM
Gaither's way better than any of the OTs in this draft are going to be, and he's young. Hell yes, I'd take give up an early second for him and use my early first for something else! Look at Detroit. They're in a prime position to trade for Gaither, and have their pick of either Berry or Suh. That's a no-brainer.

Clarkw267
04-06-2010, 11:00 PM
Wow... a lot of you are really selling Gaither short. He's played LT at a high level in the NFL.

That's worth more to me than the prospects of drafting a Trent Williams or Brian Bulaga.

The reason(s) the Ravens are shopping him are simple. It's money. I know some of you don't want to believe that, but it's the truth.

1. They have 2 franchise caliber LTs in their eyes. 1 (Oher) is locked up long term, and the other (Gaither) is due for a huge contract. They are looking to get value in return instead of letting him walk after this season.

2. Haloti Ngata is going to command a massive contract, and that would make it very difficult to resign Gaither.