PDA

View Full Version : McNabb to Redskins - Huge Implications for the Draft

FrankGore
04-04-2010, 07:36 PM
Now that Donovan is a Redskin, I think that we can safely say that Jimmy Clausen is not going to Washington at #4. I can't see them passing on Okung. It'd be criminal to make a trade like that for a veteran QB and not ensure that he's protected.

So the Clausen possibilities probably come down to Buffalo, Jacksonville, and...? Pretty scary to think about if you're Jimmy. Both could pass in favor of QBs they like better in the early 2nd, or trade up into the late 1st. One more thing though - does he become a possibility for Oakland now that they missed out on McNabb, or are they not interested?

gpngc
04-04-2010, 07:43 PM
I think Clausen will fall the same way Brady Quinn did. And someone will trade up to get him in the mid-late first just like the Browns did.

I think NFL people like him, but I'm not sure there's a team out there that will love him enough to invest top ten money.

I think Oakland would definitely feel better about selecting him in the 20s on a trade up than paying another young QB the huge top ten contract.

JAX and BUF could also move up and make the move. Holmgren says he doesn't like him and SEA just paid top dollar for Whitehurst. I guess SF is a possibility - unlikely though.

Otherwise, it wouldn't surprise me to see him fall to the Vikings.

V.I.P
04-04-2010, 07:50 PM
Hopefully Okung will be off the board. :cool:

FrankGore
04-04-2010, 07:52 PM
SF is pretty much all-or-nothing this year with Smith. He showed us signs last year and we're giving him the keys to the offense this year in hopes that he will take it to another level with a year in the system and a better supporting cast. I don't really think it's a possibility, though if he's there at #17 and other prime prospects are off the board, I won't completely write it off. But Singletary and the front office has given Smith every green light for this year and taking a guy like Clausen would muddle up the picture tremendously, so I'm just not sure it's realistic.

I think a team like Buffalo could do worse than take a tackle at #9 and then move back up into the 1st to take Clausen. But their love for Tebow is supposed to be huge, so it'll be interesting to see who these teams target.

RWills
04-04-2010, 07:54 PM
Tebow going before Clausen would be some big headlines

Addict
04-04-2010, 07:56 PM

I wonder how big they can print "Stupid"

RaiderNation
04-04-2010, 07:57 PM
I had the redskins taking Okung one way or the other.

Clausen will fall to 9. If Buffalo passes on him they are ********

RWills
04-04-2010, 07:58 PM

Clausen will fall to 9. If Buffalo passes on him they are ********

Now what if Detroit goes Okung?

Clausen is falling past Buffalo

Addict
04-04-2010, 08:01 PM
Now what if Detroit goes Okung?

Clausen is falling past Buffalo

no. you do not have the right to say mean things like that.

49erNation85
04-04-2010, 08:03 PM

You never no Tebow just might go before Clausen (Highly doubt it ) Its gonna be a fun first two rounds to watch here at the end of the month I tell you that much .

FrankGore
04-04-2010, 08:04 PM
I don't think the Lions will pass up Suh. Wouldn't worry too much if you're a Lions fan. I think we are comfortably settling into a Bradford-Suh-McCoy top 3, and like I said, I'm feeling pretty strongly now that Okung will go 4 after this trade.

Kansas City is where things could get wild now. That's the new tipping point. We've heard anyone from Berry to Bulaga. Cleveland's also a wild card if Berry isn't available to them. I'm completely stoked for this draft now.

JFLO
04-04-2010, 08:05 PM
is there any word on the interest in Clausen from Buffalo's standpoint?

superfly69
04-04-2010, 08:09 PM
Why trade him to team in your division? Much less a team in your conference? I think the Eagles have done a great job stock piling picks, but they have traded away and released a lot of players in doing so. Anyway, it's going to be an interesting draft and year in the NFC East.

gator3guy
04-04-2010, 08:10 PM
Better yet with all these picks Philly is piling up, is it signaling they are gonna make a big move on draft day?

FrankGore
04-04-2010, 08:11 PM
Better yet with all these picks Philly is piling up, is it signaling they are gonna make a big move on draft day?

I can't see them NOT moving up. I believe they have 11 picks now. I have a feeling Andy Reid would want to move up for Iupati, but that could be just one possibility.

Addict
04-04-2010, 08:12 PM
You never no Tebow just might go before Clausen (Highly doubt it ) Its gonna be a fun first two rounds to watch here at the end of the month I tell you that much .

He probably won't, but I gues weirder things have happened. From a business standpoint Tebow is solid pick, so who knows. But the first rounds are always fun. Since this is your first year here, the later rounds are also loads of fun to witness on these boards.

I haven't heard anything specific, but I can't see BUF pass on a franchise guy. Or potential franchise guy, specifically.

superfly69
04-04-2010, 08:12 PM

No way Tebow goes before Clausen. I think Tebow probably is a little more mature then Clausen but he doesn't have skill set right now to be anything more then a 3rd string back-up and developmental QB.

V.I.P
04-04-2010, 08:13 PM
If Buffalo doesn't go o-line in the first they deserve to be GARBAGE.

RWills
04-04-2010, 08:15 PM

I don't think there is anything there, I see Dan Williams, one fo remaining OT's or Spiller for darkhorse.

RWills
04-04-2010, 08:16 PM

Wasnt there rumors of them wanting top 8? Berry/Haden?

Brent
04-04-2010, 08:17 PM
Haha, I need to rep you for this when I can.

04-04-2010, 08:18 PM
My gut feeling tells me there is a greater chance Clausen ends up a Jag than a Bill. It also tells me that he won't be picked by either. He could fall a long way ...

Addict
04-04-2010, 08:20 PM
Haha, I need to rep you for this when I can.

please do, I'm hoping to get to 10K / 100K by draft day :P

Scotty D
04-04-2010, 08:23 PM
So what happens if the Rams pass on Bradford? I know many have him as an almost a lock to go #1, but I'm not exactly sure where he would land if St. Louis passes.

04-04-2010, 08:25 PM
So what happens if the Rams pass on Bradford? I know many have him as an almost a lock to go #1, but I'm not exactly sure where he would land if St. Louis passes.

Seattle @ 6 would be my guess.

RWills
04-04-2010, 08:26 PM
Cleveland jumps ahead

04-04-2010, 08:31 PM
Cleveland jumps ahead

Yeah, Holmgren was said to be very interested. I could definitely see them leapfrog the Hawks.

Thumper
04-04-2010, 08:33 PM
I've heard the Bills might pass on Clausen for Dan Williams.

3pac
04-04-2010, 08:37 PM
If he falls past Jacksonville at 10, I can easily see Minnesota trading up to get him in the early 20s or so... which would be a GREAT situation for Jimmy to succeed.

Morton
04-04-2010, 08:43 PM
Don't forget that Mike Holmgren could really easily grab Claussen if he drops to #7.

Don't count out the Browns for a QB in the first round, even if they acquired Delhomme and Wallace.

gator3guy
04-04-2010, 08:45 PM
I can't see them NOT moving up. I believe they have 11 picks now. I have a feeling Andy Reid would want to move up for Iupati, but that could be just one possibility.

Besides my instant satisfaction that Mcnabb was finally traded, I immediately thought 'they have to move up.' They have 11 picks and with a trade for Rob Sims that would put them at 10. They obviously can't make 10 picks. So they can either trade up or trade for picks next year. Pretty basic analysis. Berry is the guy I want, but the Eagles don't value safties that high. I have a feeling they will do the unexpected. Only time will tell.

RWills
04-04-2010, 08:49 PM
Don't forget that Mike Holmgren could really easily grab Claussen if he drops to #7.

Don't count out the Browns for a QB in the first round, even if they acquired Delhomme and Wallace.

I can't see it...Look at what just happened. Washington brought in Clausen, then suddenly traded for McNabb.

What is that saying about Clausen. He is going to be selected in the 20's.

Complex
04-04-2010, 08:49 PM

Mike Holmgren is not a big Jimmy Clausen fan. He said " I wished I liked him more"

Scotty D
04-04-2010, 08:51 PM
Mike Holmgren is not a big Jimmy Clausen fan. He said " I wished I liked him more"

Honestly, I'd wouldn't trust anything being said right now.

keylime_5
04-04-2010, 08:53 PM
yeah, I wouldn't count on Clausen being the 7th pick at all. Maybe it's a smokescreen, but I don't get the feeling that he'd say that about a guy he really likes. I think he goes #9 or slips way down ala Brady Quinn. Someone would trade back into the first round though to get him like they did Quinn too.

I'm glad Washington's not picking 37th anymore, that is one pick before the Browns in round two and they were a potential threat to take whatever QB we are targeting (tebow? mccoy?) in that spot.

boknows34
04-04-2010, 08:53 PM

I agree. Holmgren like everyone else will be playing draft poker between now and April 22nd.

parcells
04-04-2010, 08:55 PM
The most interesting thing with Clausen and the Browns is that they just got rid of Brady Quinn for a bag of stale donuts. While they aren't the same QB, there are a ton of similarities including the fact that Charlie Weis trained both of them. I'll be very surprised if Clausen goes to Cleveland at #7.

Complex
04-04-2010, 08:56 PM

Even before he said that people on ESPN and NFL network said he was not a big fan of Jimmym, they said he loved Bradford

thebow305
04-04-2010, 08:57 PM
Seattle @ 6 would be my guess.

I'd say Cleveland at 7, or maybe Buffalo trades up. I think he definitely goes #1 though.

Canadian_draft_fan
04-04-2010, 09:03 PM
As a Redskins fan all I can say is thank Christ I don't have to see Clausen @ #4 any more.

I'm not sure what they can get for Campbell. If Whitehurst can fetch a 3rd Campbell should get something similar. Any thoughts?

scpanther22
04-04-2010, 09:04 PM
I still think the lions will take Okung

RWills
04-04-2010, 09:14 PM
I still think the lions will take Okung

If that happened, would Washington pass on Suh and get a LT to protect McNabb? Trent Williams fits that zone blocking

RaiderNation
04-04-2010, 09:17 PM
If the Lions take Okung that'd be stupid. From all people, Jim Schwartz knows having a impact DT can make your defense. Suh or McCoy have to be the pick, then they can pick up Brown, Ducasse, or Campbell in the 2nd

SRK85
04-04-2010, 09:21 PM
Yea I see Clausen going to the seahawks are browns now. There is no way Clausen goes past the Dolphins at 12. But this a good deal for the Redskins now they draft Okung and don't have to worry about a QB for a few more years.

Complex
04-04-2010, 09:24 PM
Yea I see Clausen going to the seahawks are browns now. There is no way Clausen goes past the Dolphins at 12. But this a good deal for the Redskins now they draft Okung and don't have to worry about a QB for a few more years.

SeaHawks traded for Whitehurst, I really doubt they would trade 3rd round pick and switch 2nd rounders for a back up QB.

Addict
04-04-2010, 09:25 PM
SeaHawks traded for Whitehurst, I really doubt they would trade 3rd round pick and switch 2nd rounders for a back up QB.

I doubted that too, but then they traded for Whitehurst and I stood corrected.

RaiderNation
04-04-2010, 09:27 PM

Dolphins? Bill Parcells believes in Chad Henne so that wont happen. Clausen to the 9ers at 13? They have two 1sts and can make a BPA pick at 13 if they want.

Complex
04-04-2010, 09:27 PM
I doubted that too, but then they traded for Whitehurst and I stood corrected.

The Cardinals wanted to trade a 3rd or 2nd I forget for Whitehurst. He can't be that bad......

SRK85
04-04-2010, 09:28 PM
Hmm then who takes him. Clausen will be a better pro then Quinn. Unless the Vikings move up. But how can the Dolphins pass on him at 12?

Edit didn't see the Dolphins had Henne but I think hes overrated. This trade has defitenly affected how the first round will go.

TACKLE
04-04-2010, 10:22 PM
Clausen is going to FALL big time. He looked like he might fall into the late teen's earl twenties before this. That's one less team that would trade up to get him. Maybe Minnesota? I don't know. If I were him, I would not accept the invite to New York.

keylime_5
04-04-2010, 10:31 PM
i haven't had Clausen mocked to the redskins in a while now. surprised to see so many people assuming that's where he was going, geez. I've been under the impression since the Whitehurst trade and Holmgren's comments that Clausen would go #9 to Buffalo at the earliest if Washington passed on him, and right now that looks to be the situation. Very real chance he sees a major slide on April 22nd.

GoRavens
04-04-2010, 10:40 PM
Sam Bradford - Round 1 - Rams.
Jimmy Clausen - Round 1 - Seahawks.

RWills
04-04-2010, 10:56 PM
IM saying Arizona Cardinals

Babylon
04-04-2010, 11:35 PM
Sam Bradford - Round 1 - Rams.
Jimmy Clausen - Round 1 - Seahawks.

They cant afford that luxury. They are going to have to go OT with the #6 pick. If Clausen is there at #14 they might entertain thoughts of taking him there but i just dont see it. If they stink it up again they can draft Locker or Mallett next year.

TheSlinger
04-04-2010, 11:41 PM
I think Clausen will be picked 10th overall, whether by the Jags or somebody trading up.

Caulibflower
04-05-2010, 02:42 AM
They cant afford that luxury. They are going to have to go OT with the #6 pick. If Clausen is there at #14 they might entertain thoughts of taking him there but i just dont see it. If they stink it up again they can draft Locker or Mallett next year.

I know it isn't very sporting, but I'd take a smelly year in exchange for Locker. Or rather, I'd take a stinker over an average year to keep from getting stuck too high to get a franchise quarterback, which would ensure continued mediocrity. It's a vicious cycle.

Caulibflower
04-05-2010, 02:58 AM
The Redskins have 3 multi-Pro Bowlers in their backfield. They have two good tight ends, just spent multiple 2nd-rounders on young receivers, and already have Santana Moss, who just needs someone else to open up the field for deep routes. There isn't a linebacker at #4 worth the pick. Eric Berry might be a possibility, but Chris Horton was pretty good last year, LaRon Landry was a 1st-rounder, and there isn't a cornerback worth #4. The Redskins are going to take an OT at #4. With Donovan McNabb, they are thinking Super Bowl or bust, and they have a huge need at LT. Again: The Redskins WILL take the best OT on the board.

And the Eagles will take Dan LeFevour at the top of round two, because he put up huge stats in a weak conference and you can never let your starter get too comfy.

molenguinurtle
04-05-2010, 03:09 AM
I know it isn't very sporting, but I'd take a smelly year in exchange for Locker. Or rather, I'd take a stinker over an average year to keep from getting stuck too high to get a franchise quarterback, which would ensure continued mediocrity. It's a vicious cycle.

Welcome to the plight of the Jaguars.

Shane P. Hallam
04-05-2010, 04:31 AM
The major implication is for the Seahawks. They likely lose out on the Top 2 OTs with Okung and Bulaga going 4 and 5 respectively (though that could change).

Addict
04-05-2010, 05:18 AM
The major implication is for the Seahawks. They likely lose out on the Top 2 OTs with Okung and Bulaga going 4 and 5 respectively (though that could change).

that's the most likely scenario though.

RWills
04-05-2010, 07:36 AM
Seahawks pull a shocker and take Spiller

AntoinCD
04-05-2010, 07:52 AM
Seahawks pull a shocker and take Spiller

Wouldnt really be that shocking.

I think if Bulaga and Okung are off the board they go Trent Williams, Eric Berry, CJ Spiller or Joe Haden. Money would probably be on Eric Berry

RWills
04-05-2010, 08:07 AM
They need a playmaker on offense, they dont have that in a RB, TE, nor WR.
1 - RB - CJ Spiller
1 - OT - Charles Brown (Just did a mock, had all 4 go in top 10, familiar with Carroll, Athletic and fits zone scheme, Duane Brown went high, similar situation)
2 - TRADE - Brandon Marshall for # 60 and conditional 2011

That is a young explosive offense surrounding Whitehurst

georgiafan
04-05-2010, 08:44 AM
Doesnt this mean Jason Campbell will switch teams and taking another team out of the QB race? My guess would be they try and trade him for a mid round pick which would get back the one they will lose next year.

AntoinCD
04-05-2010, 08:50 AM
For a pick somewhere near the fifth round I would imagine a few teams would be interested in him. Oakland, Buffalo, Arizona maybe. I dont think any team will expect him to come in a be a starter though.

scpanther22
04-05-2010, 09:23 AM
If the Lions take Okung that'd be stupid. From all people, Jim Schwartz knows having a impact DT can make your defense. Suh or McCoy have to be the pick, then they can pick up Brown, Ducasse, or Campbell in the 2nd

I think the exact opposite..Draft the LT to protect your franchise in stafford.

JFLO
04-05-2010, 09:29 AM
I think the exact opposite..Draft the LT to protect your franchise in stafford.

I have to agree. You can get a stud defensive tackle in the 2nd round, but passing on a safer bet in Okung to take a potential developmental project in Brown, Ducasse or even Bruce Campbell would be the mistake of the two options.

I think Okung should be the pick, but in the end I think it's either Suh or McCoy.

BlueBandit24
04-05-2010, 09:31 AM
I think Okung should be the pick, but in the end I think it's either Suh or McCoy.

Agreed. Stafford's going to get abused in a division with Allen, Peppers, Matthews, etc. unless they grab a top left tackle. I'd rather go Okung in the 1st and add talent to the defense later, but I feel Suh will be the pick at #2.

gonzo1105
04-05-2010, 10:05 AM
The rumors going around, and really only means so much with a lot of teams blowing steam is that Buffalo doesn't have a very high grade on Clauson. I think it has been said that they have a low first round grade on him and would pass on him at # 9 if he was still there. The Bills have been linked to numerous players but Dan Williams has not been one of them. In his press conference when he was introduced said that taking players that are one year wonders in college can cause you trouble and wants to see a better overall work than one year. Really Williams would fall under this assumption as he only really had one good year in college. The Bills have been linked to any or all first round OT's, C.J. Spiller, and the pass rushing OLB's as well as meeting with Clauson and Tebow. I fully expect the Bills to try and trade down in this draft if they can unless Bulaga or Williams is on the board.

MidwayMonster31
04-05-2010, 10:20 AM
For some reason, I get the feeling the Bills will end up with Tebow. I don't know who they will trade with though. If someone else wants Clausen, or if someone else like Berry drops.

toddmlazarchick
04-05-2010, 11:08 AM
If Okung is gone at #4 its either Bulaga or trade down. I can't hate on Washington taking Berry or Suh if they are there. Trade down and take the best OT available (Bulaga, Davis, Williams) and recoup the 2nd you traded to Philly. Id even go OT again in round 2 (Ducasse, Brown, Fox, Saffold). You can't argue with getting your bookends in one draft for the next 10+ years.

keylime_5
04-05-2010, 11:10 AM
If Okung is gone at four I think the 'Skins would be wise to take Gerald McCoy or Ndamukong Suh (whichever one the Bucs don't take) to play 5 technique in their new 3-4. Haynesworth, McCoy/Suh, Orakpo, Carter....that's quite a foundation up front

toddmlazarchick
04-05-2010, 11:11 AM
Bulaga is actually a better fit for the ZBS. So if Okung is gone Bulaga would actually be a better fit. I wouldn't be surprised to see Bulaga at #4 with Okung still on the board.

toddmlazarchick
04-05-2010, 11:12 AM
If Okung is gone at four I think the 'Skins would be wise to take Gerald McCoy or Ndamukong Suh (whichever one the Bucs don't take) to play 5 technique in their new 3-4. Haynesworth, McCoy/Suh, Orakpo, Carter....that's quite a foundation up front

I do agree. A front of Suh-Kemoeatu-Haynesworth would be nasty!

NGSeiler
04-05-2010, 11:18 AM
The Clausen-to-Washington projection just hasn't made a whole lot of sense to me for a little while now, so I'm not surprised to see the Redskins in a situation where they've essentially removed Clausen from the equation due to this trade. I really thought Okung made more sense to them, if both were available. If Okung is taken by Detroit, I wouldn't be shocked at all to see the Redskins trade down with a team who wants one of the top two DTs, allowing Washington to acquire another pick to replace the second or third rounder they don't have.

As for Clausen, he's not going to St. Louis, he's not going to Washington, and he's probably not going to Seattle after the Whitehurst deal. Cleveland won't take him, if you believe the comments Holmgren has made about him and the talk that they're legitimately interested in Colt McCoy in round two. Does Oakland pull the trigger? I kind of doubt it. If Buffalo has a choice between an OT like Trent Williams or Clausen, I think they go OT. If there's a run on tackles before their pick, they may still prefer Dan Williams as a nose tackle over Clausen. Then you've got Jacksonville, who may be ready to move on from the David Garrard era or who could try to trade the pick to a QB needy team.

But if Clausen gets out of the top ten, then I think he could be in for a bit of a fall, Brady Quinn style.

toddmlazarchick
04-05-2010, 11:26 AM
The Clausen-to-Washington projection just hasn't made a whole lot of sense to me for a little while now, so I'm not surprised to see the Redskins in a situation where they've essentially removed Clausen from the equation due to this trade. I really thought Okung made more sense to them, if both were available. If Okung is taken by Detroit, I wouldn't be shocked at all to see the Redskins trade down with a team who wants one of the top two DTs, allowing Washington to acquire another pick to replace the second or third rounder they don't have.

As for Clausen, he's not going to St. Louis, he's not going to Washington, and he's probably not going to Seattle after the Whitehurst deal. Cleveland won't take him, if you believe the comments Holmgren has made about him and the talk that they're legitimately interested in Colt McCoy in round two. Does Oakland pull the trigger? I kind of doubt it. If Buffalo has a choice between an OT like Trent Williams or Clausen, I think they go OT. If there's a run on tackles before their pick, they may still prefer Dan Williams as a nose tackle over Clausen. Then you've got Jacksonville, who may be ready to move on from the David Garrard era or who could try to trade the pick to a QB needy team.

But if Clausen gets out of the top ten, then I think he could be in for a bit of a fall, Brady Quinn style.

Trade down is the greatest possibility for Washington now. As for Clausen, If I was him honestly I would be hoping to slide to Minnesota. He could easily take the starting role from Favre when he is done and have the most success.

LizardState
04-05-2010, 11:27 AM

Pretty much a done deal by default now since Samuels retired. McNabb is more mobile & will give them 3-4 Ws the Skins would not have otherwise had, but unless their OL improves considerably even with Okung or whoever O-lineman they draft whoever takes snaps for Washington is going to get killed.

I thought we would finally get McNabb the hell out of the NFC East, not happening. Oh well .....

toddmlazarchick
04-05-2010, 11:37 AM
Pretty much a done deal by default now since Samuels retired. McNabb is more mobile & will give them 3-4 Ws the Skins would not have otherwise had, but unless their OL improves considerably even with Okung or whoever O-lineman they draft whoever takes snaps for Washington is going to get killed.

I thought we would finally get McNabb the hell out of the NFC East, not happening. Oh well .....

Shanahan is known for finding mid round talent to fit his OL scheme. Okung is not a given either. Id say its a greater possibility that we trade back to gain more picks and take the best OT available in the 1st and additional 2nd pick.

gpngc
04-05-2010, 11:41 AM
But who wants to move up to #4 and why? We are having the same problem finding a guy for the Chiefs to draft - there's really no value match at pick #4 with all the solid LT prospects in this draft. Last year it happened because there was a huge drop-off after QB2 so Sanchez was a hot commodity.

scpanther22
04-05-2010, 11:43 AM

That would be even better if they go back to the 4-3.

DiG
04-05-2010, 12:25 PM
But who wants to move up to #4 and why? We are having the same problem finding a guy for the Chiefs to draft - there's really no value match at pick #4 with all the solid LT prospects in this draft. Last year it happened because there was a huge drop-off after QB2 so Sanchez was a hot commodity.

i agree that its most likely no one will want to move up to 4 unless the lions take okung at 2 and either suh/mccoy are available at 4. i could see the skins even taking a "discount" in the trade to move back with someone like the raiders, seahawks, browns, etc. someone might be in love with berry enough to make the move too although its not that likely. you never know.

BBIB
04-05-2010, 01:55 PM
Does anyone have the list of picks that Philly has now? Didn't they already have a ton even before their last two trades?

bitonti
04-05-2010, 02:21 PM
this article sums up the problems with McNabb pretty accurately

http://hamptonroads.com/2010/04/fans-should-be-wary-watchful-mcnabb

toddmlazarchick
04-05-2010, 03:55 PM

Because with the good chance DET takes Okung, one of the Suh/McCoy combo will be available at #4, along with Clausen and Berry.

Iamcanadian
04-05-2010, 04:03 PM
Personally, I don't think Washington would have used the #4 pick on Clausen. There are simply too many question marks concerning Clausen's leadership abilities and mental toughness. I won't be shocked if Clausen takes a deep fall on draft day if he cannot convince GM's of his intangibles therefore I don't think the trade impacted the draft by all that much.