PDA

View Full Version : Offensive Line Free Agency vs The Draft.

Hurricane Ditka
03-15-2007, 04:49 PM
A constant argument here, between myself and some particular other Bears fans cough Pelepele10 cough evershot cough cough on how we should address the offensive line this off season. While some insist the only way Jerry Angelo will build an offensive line is through Free Agency, but this seems like the most likely year to start building through the draft. Angelo had the opportunity to address the offensive line in free agency, but the skewed market due to the raised salary cap saw mediocre offensive lineman getting top dollar. Steinbach was the only one worth the money he signed for, while several got overpaid. There are pro's and con's to each option.

Free Agency

Pros

Proven
ReadyCons

Bust ProbabilityDraft

Pros

Cost
Potential

Higher Bust Probability
Adjustment Time

Smokey Joe
03-15-2007, 06:01 PM
If Joe Staley is there, especially after his pro day today, he would be an intriguing pick. 6-6, 304, 4.8 40... :o

pellepelle_10
03-15-2007, 07:32 PM
If Joe Staley is there, especially after his pro day today, he would be an intriguing pick. 6-6, 304, 4.8 40... :o

IMO there is no problem addressing OL in the 1st day. I'd just rather grab players in more concerned positions especially when they can impact our team immidiatelly where most rookie lineman need a couple years to mature in the offense.

Briggs being a little b-tch. This guy sits out and who else do we have other than Urlacher. Please don't say HH because he's a backup at best.

2 DT's on their way out to Free Agency, 1 starter doing jail time, 1 rookie coming off season ending injury and has never played 1 professional down, and the other top end DT coming from a season ending injury. I'd like to get a guy out of FA but with this slow pace our management has being going at players I highly doubt we get anyone of use.

2 Safeties on another team 1 starter that learned how to take bad angles and get burned all season, another who has become a solid Safety Chris Harris, and the most important not ever able to stay healthy 1 season Mike Brown.

Of these positions I don't see OL taking priority over them. We have guys with age concerns but they can play. They will need future replacements but we can always address this with players who don't need 2-3 seasons to adapt. Most rookie lineman take a couple seasons to grow. I would be fine with this given the all other positions weren't such a concern. The fact that our GM hasn't had the greatest success at these positions also pose an issue to me. Again I say Safety and OLB as top priorities. DT will definatelly need help via FA and OL can see a draft pick no earlier than rnd 2. I'd honestly prefer rnd 4 and later.

Hurricane Ditka
03-15-2007, 08:44 PM
Manning isn't nearly as bad as you make him sound. They took him in the second round for a reason. You don't want to take an offensive lineman because they take a few years to mature, but want a rookie safety to step in over a safety that started his entire rookie year, and still has a lot of upside. If they move Manning to corner it's a possibility, but right now it looks like they're keeping him at safety.

pellepelle_10
03-15-2007, 09:40 PM
Manning isn't nearly as bad as you make him sound. They took him in the second round for a reason. You don't want to take an offensive lineman because they take a few years to mature, but want a rookie safety to step in over a safety that started his entire rookie year, and still has a lot of upside. If they move Manning to corner it's a possibility, but right now it looks like they're keeping him at safety.

Apparently you're not paying attention to his play then. The guy has consistently taken bad angles against both run and pass. BTW..it was him blowing the coverage in the SuperBowl against Reggie Wayne. It was him taking a bad angle and getting his ankles broken while Reggie Bush cartwheeled into the endzone. Just because they took him in the second round it doesn't immediatelly say that his play justifies this. Manning needs to prove his worth just like any other player in this league. I'm not writing the guy off but he has a lot to learn. Some pick up the game quick (ala Mark Anderson, Tommie Harris, Nathan Vasher who came from big time DI schools) Others it takes awhile ala Daniel Manning. I'm not against/for them moving Manning to CB. I think he'll be an ok Safety. My saying was that he's very raw. Are you remembering this guy came from a DII school? He's had to jump up 2 levels in 1 season. He very well may surprise us all which would be great but fact of the matter is that other than Manning, Harris, and injury prone Brown there is nobody worth mentioning. That is a problem. This is why I'm saying guys like Griffin (coming from a proven school of DB studs that has done very well in the NFL as of late) and Merriweather (who also comes from a top end DI school known for bringing in top end talent) it would allow for this Safety core to not miss a beat especially if Brown goes down again.

Hurricane Ditka
03-15-2007, 09:50 PM
A late round safety I'd like us to look at is Michael Johnson from Arizona, he's fairly athletic and good in run support. The only safety we lost that ever got significant playing time was Todd Johnson, Worrell never saw the field, so all we're losing is a special teams player there.

KBear
03-16-2007, 05:07 PM
If the Bears are going to take a mid to late round safty, I would not mind Kevin Payne. He played WR and RB early in college before swithing to safty. He could probably play both FS and SS for the Bears and also punted in college. Talk about being versatile. We draft him, and it would take care of several needs.

evershot
03-16-2007, 07:52 PM
Sorry pelle but after seeing the prices of the mediocre talent at o-line I have to say that Angelo must try again this year to address the o-line. Especially this year because the Bears are in a good position for some top notch talent for a bargain price.

If Angelo was going to build the line for the future I think this draft is the draft to do it.

bearsfan_51
03-16-2007, 07:58 PM
I dunno about top notch talent. If Staley is gone by 31 (which it looks like he probably will be) the pickings are somewhat slim after that.

Hurricane Ditka
03-16-2007, 08:07 PM
I dunno about top notch talent. If Staley is gone by 31 (which it looks like he probably will be) the pickings are somewhat slim after that.
At 37 however, we should have our choice of some of the top notch interior prospects, Sears, Grubbs, Kalil etc. Where if drafted they could make an immediate impact if need be.

evershot
03-17-2007, 05:30 AM
At 37 however, we should have our choice of some of the top notch interior prospects, Sears, Grubbs, Kalil etc. Where if drafted they could make an immediate impact if need be.

Exactly this draft may not be flashy but with the FA prices the way they are right now even good interior prospects should be considered.

This draft is a lot better for o-line depth than most people give it credit for and I think the right value for o-linemen is exactly where the Bears are right now.

IBleedNavyandOrange
03-17-2007, 04:09 PM
Frickin' Redskins once again are ruining the game for everyone by overpaying FA.

Normally I'd say "absolutely go through FA to get O-linemen" because JA has done a very good job with exactly this, and drafting O-linemen seems to be as big a crapshoot as QBs.

But since FA prices have started to go haywire, I'd say take a good G prospect in the draft. Yes, safety is absolutely a pressing concern now, but regardless of whether we need one or two or three, there's only going to be one good chance to get a quality safety in the draft anyway.