wingboy2999
04-05-2010, 11:53 AM
http://twitter.com/Adam_Schefter/status/11649776030

Waiting on the terms.

Does this mean Okung is out?

wingboy2999
04-05-2010, 12:24 PM
5th rounder according to Killer.

Story (http://www.mlive.com/lions/index.ssf/2010/04/report_lions_swing_trade_for_r.html?utm_source=fee dburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+detroit-lions+%28Detroit+Lions+-+MLive.com%29)

georgiafan
04-05-2010, 12:58 PM
good move since OG was a need and there wasnt gonna be a OG in the 5th as good as Sims. Atleast none you can count on.

wingboy2999
04-05-2010, 01:00 PM
According to Schefter we got a 7th for DE Robert Henderson too.

Scotty D
04-05-2010, 02:00 PM
I really like this move. Tomorrow Hargrove for a 4th?

Geason Noceur
04-05-2010, 02:02 PM
According to Schefter we got a 7th for DE Robert Henderson too.

I didn't even know we had the guy. This is a very good move. A 7th round pick for a an unknown guy who never played a down for the Lions. I like it.

tblain1
04-05-2010, 02:29 PM
I didn't even know we had the guy. This is a very good move. A 7th round pick for a an unknown guy who never played a down for the Lions. I like it.

A 2nd year guy from Southern Mississippi who apparently never played a down in the NFL. 6'3" 278 lbs according to ESPN.com. It also shows we signed him on Jan. 5th so we just signed him like...4 months ago as a practice squad player (I'm assuming) and turned that into a 7th round pick? So its like a free 7th round pick.

Who is this Mayhew guy? What did he do to my typical Lions futility? I don't want to overstate a 7th round pick but he seems to be doing a lot of little things right so far. Hopefully they add up.

EDIT: Ok, so he was a 2008 6th rounder for NYG. Was on our team beginning of last year but injured his knee in preseason (early August; maybe first game) and went on Injured Reserve. I don't remember him though.

styles44
04-05-2010, 02:51 PM
I really like this move. Tomorrow Hargrove for a 4th?

It doesn't sound like we're getting Hargrove now, but if we did it would look like Eric Berry at #2. Which would be nice.

Like the move though, love getting a 7th back like we did with the Corey Williams deal. Mayhew must have some late round talent that he's been scoping out.

Maybe Next Year Millen2
04-05-2010, 02:59 PM
3 starters for two 5ths and 6th with Corey Williams,Houston and Sims. We should do this every year even if not all of these "starters" work out. Its a good low risk attempt. Plus a decent backup QB for a future 7th. And we get 7th rounders in return. Sounds good to me. Good new strategy when you lack talent everywhere. Williams and Sims just didn't fit the scheme but fit our scheme. Houston kind of a disappointment but still some potential and wouldn't be paid with Dunta coming into Atlanta. That plus KVB and Burleson couldn't be happier. And we still have a draft to go in a great draft year.

SINCE1978
04-05-2010, 09:26 PM
3 starters for two 5ths and 6th with Corey Williams,Houston and Sims. We should do this every year even if not all of these "starters" work out. Its a good low risk attempt. Plus a decent backup QB for a future 7th. And we get 7th rounders in return. Sounds good to me. Good new strategy when you lack talent everywhere. Williams and Sims just didn't fit the scheme but fit our scheme. Houston kind of a disappointment but still some potential and wouldn't be paid with Dunta coming into Atlanta. That plus KVB and Burleson couldn't be happier. And we still have a draft to go in a great draft year.

Fantastic summary fella ... I agree, solid strategy. Mayhew is proving to be quite an active & effective GM in a short period of time.

Suh is looking more & more like our #2 pick with the Skins not needing to trade up, so we stay put & get a CB, RB, S in 2,3,4 ... love it! (McCourty/Allen/Blount or Best/Cox/Asante) TASTY!!

LOLitsTomBrady
04-06-2010, 12:07 AM
I just came to say LOL at all the bitter seahawk fans who say Sims is not good. According to stats hes the 8th best guard in the NFL last year and the 4th best LG. I think they're just really upset they got raped by the Detroit Lions. Sorry Seahawks

brat316
04-06-2010, 01:10 AM
Suprised more people aren't talking about this. A few teams wanted Sims. Lions are slowly improving, and not many people are seeing it.

Seahawks didn't get rapped, they are just in rebuilding mode and trying to pile up on draft picks.

wingboy2999
04-06-2010, 05:43 AM
Suprised more people aren't talking about this. A few teams wanted Sims. Lions are slowly improving, and not many people are seeing it.

Seahawks didn't get rapped, they are just in rebuilding mode and trying to pile up on draft picks.

I'm pretty sure it was more he just didn't fit in their scheme so they had no use for him...

Prowler
04-06-2010, 08:24 AM
okung is still in play, just its more even now between him and suh.

wingboy2999
04-06-2010, 08:49 AM

Killer seems to think that he is still a strong possibility. While he is a luxury pick [Suh may be a luxury pick to a certain degree], hes gonna be needed more down the road.

But then again... check out Pride of Detroit's statistical look at our roster. LINK (http://www.prideofdetroit.com/2010/4/5/1406171/roster-evaluation-2009-lions-and) Backus was better then 84% [!!!!] of the league's OT [based on their criteria]. That's pretty good. Whereas our DTs STUNK. Something to chew on...

SINCE1978
04-06-2010, 11:40 AM

Suh is the pick. Backus is Detroit's T, Schwartz loves his skills. Unless ....... he can be RT & we get rid of Cherilus?? There might be a team willing to trade for ol' Gos right? (Buffalo)

Killer seems to think that he is still a strong possibility. While he is a luxury pick [Suh may be a luxury pick to a certain degree], hes gonna be needed more down the road.

But then again... check out Pride of Detroit's statistical look at our roster. LINK (http://www.prideofdetroit.com/2010/4/5/1406171/roster-evaluation-2009-lions-and) Backus was better then 84% [!!!!] of the league's OT [based on their criteria]. That's pretty good. Whereas our DTs STUNK. Something to chew on...

Welcome back wingboy ... ;o) Yeah, Backus is not as awful on the field as Detroit sports talk radio makes him out to be. People assume if the Oline is weak or bad it's the highest profile guy's fault ... our G's have been awful for sooo long, this crew of coaches/GM get that & are fixing things. YES!

wingboy2999
04-06-2010, 12:35 PM
Welcome back wingboy ... ;o) Yeah, Backus is not as awful on the field as Detroit sports talk radio makes him out to be. People assume if the Oline is weak or bad it's the highest profile guy's fault ... our G's have been awful for sooo long, this crew of coaches/GM get that & are fixing things. YES!

Yeah, if you look at the link, our LG was the worst in the league.

Prowler
04-06-2010, 12:39 PM
man-ram wouldn't have made it in pee-wee football last year.

adding two impact trench guys in williams and kvb, and now 1 more at the top of the draft will make for one heck of a good offseason.

SINCE1978
04-06-2010, 07:20 PM
man-ram wouldn't have made it in pee-wee football last year.

adding two impact trench guys in williams and kvb, and now 1 more at the top of the draft will make for one heck of a good offseason.

With Rob Sims, really 3 impact trench guys ... then the draft.

Scotty D
04-06-2010, 11:51 PM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/04/06/rob-sims-declares-detroit-to-be-a-football-town/

"This is a football town," Sims said Tuesday, per John Niyo of the Detroit News. "Cleveland, Pittsburgh, Detroit. I mean, that's football. Football and cars. This is more of what I'm accustomed to. Out there [in Seattle] the stars are Bill Gates and Paul Allen and the people that run Boeing. This here is what being in the NFL is supposed to be about, [standing] up here at the mic talking to reporters and stuff. In Seattle, it's not like that. It's drinking coffee, sittin' down and chit-chatting. This is a change, but it's a change that I've been looking forward to."

wingboy2999
04-07-2010, 05:55 AM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/04/06/rob-sims-declares-detroit-to-be-a-football-town/

"This is a football town," Sims said Tuesday, per John Niyo of the Detroit News. "Cleveland, Pittsburgh, Detroit. I mean, that's football. Football and cars. This is more of what I'm accustomed to. Out there [in Seattle] the stars are Bill Gates and Paul Allen and the people that run Boeing. This here is what being in the NFL is supposed to be about, [standing] up here at the mic talking to reporters and stuff. In Seattle, it's not like that. It's drinking coffee, sittin' down and chit-chatting. This is a change, but it's a change that I've been looking forward to."

He's the man. "Football and cars".

SINCE1978
04-07-2010, 11:20 AM
BUT ... he is a Buckeye? ;o)

Prowler
04-07-2010, 11:21 AM
that just means we don't have to feel guilty about lowballing his contract extension.

Babylon
04-07-2010, 11:28 AM

Correct. They dont think Sims fits the new ZBS system they're putting in. As for Seahawks fans being upset with Sims he didnt really help out in the run game as far as i could see.

Babylon
04-07-2010, 11:31 AM

That really hurts my feelings that all we do is sit around drinking Espresso and talk football.

Maybe if the team had won a few more games it would feel more like Pittsburgh. All i can say to Sims is your going to freakin Detroit dont get your hopes up too high.

Prowler
04-07-2010, 11:53 AM
he came here for the 'future'

http://www.collider.com/uploads/imageGallery/Eight_8_Mile/8_mile_movie_image__4_.jpg
mekhi=future

and the 'cheddar'

http://www.gunaxin.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/11/25871_512x288_manicured__w4ath8wv5eacrmcgp55sg.jpg

cheddar bob