PDA

View Full Version : The Browns at #7

gpngc
04-05-2010, 07:08 PM
Seems to me as one of the biggest quagmires in the draft.

If things pan out like this...

1- Rams: Bradford
2- Lions: Suh
3- Bucs: McCoy
4- Skins: Okung
5- Chiefs: Bulaga
6- Hawks: Berry

......or any other scenario in which Berry, the two DTs, and Bradford are all selected in the top six (very possible)....

....then what do the Browns do?

JPP?
Spiller?
Dez?
E. Thomas?
Mays?
Kindle?
B. Graham?
Surprise?
Gresham?
Spoon?
McClain?
Tate?
Griffen?
Still Haden?
Bay-Bay?
R. Matthews?
Someone to play RT?
TEBOW?!!!??!?

Assume they cannot trade out.

RWills
04-05-2010, 07:09 PM
What makes u think Seattle is going Berry, I see Spiller or an OT, maybe even Derrick Morgan

PhysicalwithanF
04-05-2010, 07:11 PM
Seems to me as one of the biggest quagmires in the draft.

If things pan out like this...

1- Rams: Bradford
2- Lions: Suh
3- Bucs: McCoy
4- Skins: Okung
6- Hawks: Berry

......or any other scenario in which Berry, the two DTs, and Bradford are all selected in the top six (very possible)....

....then what do the Browns do?

JPP?
Spiller?
Dez?
E. Thomas?
Mays?
Kindle?
B. Graham?
Surprise?
Gresham?
Spoon?
McClain?
Tate?
Griffen?
Still Haden?
Bay-Bay?
R. Matthews?
Someone to play RT?
TEBOW?!!!??!?

Assume they cannot trade out.

IM not a Browns fan but I would think Browns fans are hoping Pioli takes a Olineman in the first and Berry fall to them. If Berry is gone, i still would think Haden isnt out of the picture even with the Sheldon Brownn signing, they could use McClain as well, and ive heard that they, like alot of teams like Earl Thomas..

FrankGore
04-05-2010, 07:12 PM
I could see JPP. If not, a trade down would make a lot of sense.

Babylon
What makes u think Seattle is going Berry, I see Spiller or an OT, maybe even Derrick Morgan

Spiller and Morgan are huge reaches there. They'll take whoever's left from Berry and Bulaga. If they know what they're doing.

wonderbredd24
The ideal scenario for the Browns is Eric Berry

If he's off the board, I think the conversation is between Joe Haden, Jason Pierre-Paul, and if there's an offer there, trading down.

My preferences would be Haden, then trading down, then JPP

wonderbredd24
04-05-2010, 07:13 PM
Spiller and Morgan are huge reaches there. They'll take whoever's left from Berry and Bulaga. If they know what they're doing.
One would hope they would have learned from the mistake of passing on a franchise left tackle last year.

RealityCheck
I'd say Morgan.

Scott Wright
They will probably trade it to the Jets for #29, Mike Devito and Erik Ainge :).

gpngc

The fact that they have no safety other than Jordan Babineaux, who is mediocre at best and getting older.

Also, they were last in the league in pass defense last year.

Also, Eric Berry is very good.

There's still a chance Berry goes 4 or 5 too.

If Berry is there for Cleveland, he is 100% the pick, but this thread was created to discuss what they'll do if he isn't there.

prock
I think Dez is a legit option

wonderbredd24
04-05-2010, 07:14 PM
I'd say Morgan.

He'd be a poor fit in the 3-4, in my opinion.

He's a prototypical 4-3 end. Why try to change him?

RaiderNation
04-05-2010, 07:15 PM
I think they go defense with this pick. So JPP or Haden make sense

wonderbredd24
04-05-2010, 07:15 PM
I think Dez is a legit option

This FO doesn't draft retards.

Plus, Top 10 WR is the absolute worst option historically. The risk vs. reward sucks for that position

gpngc
04-05-2010, 07:16 PM
Link to them liking Earl Thomas?

I thought of that a while back...

TACKLE
Got this idea from Toonster on irc and am really starting to get the feeling like this is a very possible scenario. Cleveland and KC swap picks so Cleveland can jump Seattle and get Berry and KC can get move back and get better value, whether that be a OT or a guy like Rolando McClain or Dan Williams.

prock

Plus, Top 10 WR is the absolute worst option historically. The risk vs. reward sucks for that position

I can't really think of who they would take other then JPP or Berry here. I think Dez would be the top value here.

gpngc
04-05-2010, 07:17 PM
He'd be a poor fit in the 3-4, in my opinion.

He's a prototypical 4-3 end. Why try to change him?

This is true. This is why I didn't even add him in the laundry list of options on the original post.

He's a 4-3 end and will be yet another steal for the Titans in the middle of the draft...

wonderbredd24
04-05-2010, 07:17 PM
I can't really think of who they would take other then JPP or Berry here. I think Dez would be the top value here.

Joe Haden, CB Florida. Not a ******

prock
04-05-2010, 07:20 PM
Joe Haden, CB Florida. Not a ******

They just traded for a corner, I don't think they would take one here. Dez is a better player anyway.

gpngc
04-05-2010, 07:21 PM
I don't know about Haden.

I've heard some rumblings that no one is even considering him in the top 10 (a blurb from Rotoworld a few days ago).

They have three decent CBs right now - I know they don't particularly like B-Mac but Wright's up-and-coming and Brown is very solid.

If they wanted to go DB badly and Berry was gone, I think Thomas would be more likely than Haden...

wonderbredd24
04-05-2010, 07:22 PM
They just traded for a corner, I don't think they would take one here. Dez is a better player anyway.

Sheldon Brown is 31. Who knows how long he will be effective?

Maybe Joe Haden doesn't have the overall talent of Dez Bryant, but I'll take Joe Haden all day long.

Splat

http://i43.tinypic.com/u79fl.jpg

Babylon
One would hope they would have learned from the mistake of passing on a franchise left tackle last year.

I didnt have a problem with the Curry pick at the time as i thought he was the highest rated guy out there but looking back you're right. I would even entertain thoughts of trading down a bit and taking a Trent Williams......have no clue what Pete Carroll is thinking.

superman
04-05-2010, 07:23 PM
i think clausen would make the most sense for the browns

Who Dat Nation
04-05-2010, 07:24 PM
big reach but what about Dan Williams?

wonderbredd24
I don't know about Haden.

I've heard some rumblings that no one is even considering him in the top 10 (a blurb from Rotoworld a few days ago).

They have three decent CBs right now - I know they don't particularly like B-Mac but Wright's up-and-coming and Brown is very solid.

If they wanted to go DB badly and Berry was gone, I think Thomas would be more likely than Haden...

Eric Wright is good and getting better. Sheldon Brown is fine, but 31 and who knows how long he will last? Brandon McDonald is infuriatingly inconsistent and maybe he'd be better as a full time nickel.

The Browns' current coaching staff favors guys who can play press and Rob Ryan loves to blitz from anywhere. Joe Haden does both well and he can tackle.

Joe Haden and Eric Wright would be a phenominal combination... and with the direction the NFL is going, you need 3 good corners anyway.

Babylon
http://i43.tinypic.com/u79fl.jpg

They should have taken a tackle last year and then they could have hoped to have McCoy or Suh fall to thim this time around. Seems to me they have done it all backwards there in K.C. Dont have a problem with Bulaga at all by the way.

wonderbredd24
04-05-2010, 07:25 PM

To play end? I suppose it's possible.

The Browns look like they've found their long term answer at nose tackle in Athyba Rubin. When Shaun Rogers went down with his ankle injury, Rubin came in and while he's not the bull in a china shop Rogers is, he plays a more fundamental nose tackle.

My hope is they have Rubin start, kick Rogers outside to end or trade him, and draft a developmental nose tackle to learn behind Rubin.

thebow305
04-05-2010, 07:26 PM

They did draft Brady Quinn, let's not forget.

thebow305
04-05-2010, 07:27 PM

No. Ahtyba Rubin played very well for them in the time he got there at NT last season.

wonderbredd24
04-05-2010, 07:28 PM
They did draft Brady Quinn, let's not forget.

Yes, they took Joe Thomas at 3 and traded back into the 1st round for Quinn.

Meanwhile, the Dolphins took Ted Ginn and John Beck. Let's call it a draw?

gpngc
04-05-2010, 07:29 PM

Good idea.

"Reach" is the stupidest term in draft speak.

keylime_5
04-05-2010, 07:30 PM
well if you believe the "league source" in that article the Plain Dealer published today it'll be Jared Odrick....which really makes sense if you think about Tom heckert and Eric Mangini's serious love to take linemen high in the draft and build in the trenches first. We apparently really like Odrick a lot (and I know they like Tyson Jackson a whole lot last year and very well could have taken him at 5 if Kansas City didn't take him at 3).

I am glad that Trent Williams' stock is on fire right now and that he could be the 2nd OT drafted and "could go top 5." We want to see the Chiefs and Seahawks both take a tackle so Berry falls to us.....and really I'm not sure that's not the most realistic scenario. I think it's either Berry, Odrick, or trade down (in which case it would probably be Odrick or Thomas). Haden seems like a legit possibility as well. I think they have a few people higher than him is all.

DeepThreat
04-05-2010, 07:32 PM
My sleeper pick here is Trent Williams. But I think in that scenario, the Browns are desperately trying to trade back.

gpngc
04-05-2010, 07:33 PM
well if you believe the "league source" in that article the Plain Dealer published today it'll be Jared Odrick....which really makes sense if you think about Tom heckert and Eric Mangini's serious love to take linemen high in the draft and build in the trenches first. We apparently really like Odrick a lot (and I know they like Tyson Jackson a whole lot last year and very well could have taken him at 5 if Kansas City didn't take him at 3).

I am glad that Trent Williams' stock is on fire right now and that he could be the 2nd OT drafted and "could go top 5." We want to see the Chiefs and Seahawks both take a tackle so Berry falls to us.....and really I'm not sure that's not the most realistic scenario. I think it's either Berry, Odrick, or trade down (in which case it would probably be Odrick or Thomas).

I think I've got my answer.

wonderbredd24
04-05-2010, 07:35 PM
This draft is unbelievably deep at 3-4 end... reaching for Odrick in the 1st round just doesn't make much sense to me.

And Tony Grossi is a hack

keylime_5
04-05-2010, 07:38 PM
never underestimate the "falling in love" factor. Teams become enamored with certain players and take them high all the time. Grossi is a dufus. There's no telling who his "league source" really is but I'll give him the benefit of the doubt for now. We are having Odrick coming to Berea for a visit so there is definitely interest.

I have heard they are high on Trent Williams, and probably have him rated higher than any OL in the draft except maybe Okung (maybe). I don't think they'll take a right tackle that high. I think they'll target a specific player (Odrick? Berry? Thomas?) and make a move up or down to get him.

wonderbredd24
04-05-2010, 07:40 PM
never underestimate the "falling in love" factor. Teams become enamored with certain players and take them high all the time.

I have heard they are high on Trent Williams, and probably have him rated higher than any OL in the draft except maybe Okung (maybe). I don't think they'll take a right tackle that high. I think they'll target a specific player (Odrick? Berry? Thomas?) and make a move up or down to get him.
There are always a ton of teams that would love to move down. The trick is finding someone who wants to move up and I don't think that's going to happen this year.

I like Odrick and Williams a lot... but I wouldn't take either 7th overall for the Browns.

It's the time for meaningless rumors... I think that's all this is

Who Dat Nation
04-05-2010, 07:40 PM
Good idea.

"Reach" is the stupidest term in draft speak.

True.

No. Ahtyba Rubin played very well for them in the time he got there at NT last season.

Ok forget Williams here then

RWills
04-05-2010, 07:49 PM

Spiller won't make it past pick 9, mark it, and as high as 6

I can see teams like Cleveland, Miami and NE view Morgan as a OLB in their system.

Mr.Regular
04-05-2010, 07:50 PM
Ive been struggling with the Browns pick for a bit now if Berry is gone.
Odrick does make some sense. I've also heard they like Thomas, who is rated very highly on most boards I believe. They could also go OT, but for some reason I cant see them pulling the trigger on a RT at 7.
Right now Id say Odrick or Thomas, but Im leaning Odrick.

TheRoo
04-05-2010, 07:51 PM
If the Browns take JPP or Taylor Mays at 7, I will stop payment on my season tickets. The Browns cannot afford to take a huge risk in the first round. We need players who are gonna be here for 10 years. If Berry is gone, I'd like Earl Thomas.

wonderbredd24
04-05-2010, 07:56 PM
If the Browns take JPP or Taylor Mays at 7, I will stop payment on my season tickets. The Browns cannot afford to take a huge risk in the first round. We need players who are gonna be here for 10 years. If Berry is gone, I'd like Earl Thomas.

Although I like JPP, I agree with how big of a risk he is and how much of a problem that poses.

Taylor Mays? I think it's almost an impossibility we take him at 7. Is he even gonna be a 1st rounder anymore?

He's not a playmaker and even with all of his physical gifts, his 6.9 3 cone would absolutely terrify me as a GM

thebow305
04-05-2010, 08:01 PM
Yes, they took Joe Thomas at 3 and traded back into the 1st round for Quinn.

Meanwhile, the Dolphins took Ted Ginn and John Beck. Let's call it a draw?

lol, fair enough

keylime_5
04-05-2010, 08:22 PM
Good point about Spiller, RWilis. I think he'll go top ten when all is said and done. Teams will be too giddy at the thought of potentially getting the next Chris Johnson. I could see someone trading up for him or a team like the Bills or Dolphins taking him high.

Taylor Mays.....good chance he'll be there when we pick 38th - so, no, we're not gonna take him top ten.

I think the talk about Odrick could be misinformation, but that's not the kind of misinformation I think that would help us out as much as the sort that says we love Haden or Thomas or Clausen or Spiller would. I'll give it the benefit of the doubt for now. This time last year the word was that Tyson Jackson was shooting up draft boards, and most people said "okay, that means maybe Denver at 12." No one thought that it meant the Browns and Chiefs were all over him in the top 5.

DiG
04-05-2010, 08:32 PM
my roommate in college is a DIE hard browns fan and we agree it should be spiller if gerald mccoy and berry are both gone. they have a ton of picks to address need and shouldnt pass on a playmaker that can make a difference.

gpngc
04-05-2010, 08:35 PM
^If that happens James Davis might commit suicide.

Aloysius
04-05-2010, 08:39 PM
I'd say Morgan.He'd be a poor fit in the 3-4, in my opinion.
I don't like Morgan much as a 3-4 OLB either, but it seems like a lot of people with contacts in the league - Daniel Jeremiah, Mike Mayock, the scout Terry Pluto talked to - see him as a legit 3-4 OLB and an option for the Browns at #7. The team's also brought him to Berea for a visit.

Based on that, I think there's a greater chance the Browns will take Morgan than JPP.

wonderbredd24
04-05-2010, 08:41 PM
my roommate in college is a DIE hard browns fan and we agree it should be spiller if gerald mccoy and berry are both gone. they have a ton of picks to address need and shouldnt pass on a playmaker that can make a difference.
I'm not gonna say this isn't a possibility, but it seems unlikely.

We have a smallish running back with speed in Jerome Harrison who had some real nice games down the stretch last year. I don't know if he will continue with that production, but most of it (to me anyway) seemed to be based on enormous holes behind Alex Mack.

The other thing is that part of Spiller's value is his ability to contribute as a returner, but the Browns don't need one as they have Josh Cribbs, who is on his way to being the best returner in history.

My personal preference is that they grab another mid-late round guy like they did with James Davis and adopt the New York Giants model of just adding a mid-late round back every year behind a great OLine and eventually you'll have a nice stable of running backs.

Currently, the Browns have Jerome Harrison, Peyton Hillis, and James Davis. Conceivably, the Browns could add a Stafon Johnson or a James Starks and just run them behind Vickers and Mack to daylight.

keylime_5
04-05-2010, 08:52 PM
Charles Scott. That's the guy we are taking late this year ;)

wonderbredd24
04-05-2010, 08:54 PM
Charles Scott. That's the guy we are taking late this year ;)

I wouldn't complain. I pretty much like every single SEC back in this draft, especially Ben Tate.

Before getting Hillis, whom I love, I was hoping we'd get a big back... with Hillis, it gives the Browns the flexibility to get whomever they want.

SenorGato
04-05-2010, 08:59 PM
Dez Bryant or they go the safe route and grab McClain.

Big sleeper would be Terrence Cody...maybe.

RWills
04-05-2010, 09:04 PM
I wouldn't complain. I pretty much like every single SEC back in this draft, especially Ben Tate.

Before getting Hillis, whom I love, I was hoping we'd get a big back... with Hillis, it gives the Browns the flexibility to get whomever they want.

Im a big fan of his as well, watch him go higher than expected because of his pass blocking, reminds me of Curtis Martin in Pitt

keylime_5
04-05-2010, 09:08 PM
Dez Bryant or they go the safe route and grab McClain.

Big sleeper would be Terrence Cody...maybe.

Bryant character concerns I think drop him way down our draft board. McClain seems like a big no b/c for one the positional value is terrible, and for two they have these guys who can legitimately start for them at ILB: D'Qwell Jackson, Scott Fujita, David Bowens, Chris Gocong, Jason Trusnik, and Eric Barton. Cody is the clear #2 nose tackle in the draft behind Dan Williams.

Splat
04-05-2010, 09:10 PM
Bryant character concerns I think drop him way down our draft board. McClain seems like a big no b/c for one the positional value is terrible, and for two they have these guys who can legitimately start for them at ILB: D'Qwell Jackson, Scott Fujita, David Bowens, Chris Gocong, Jason Trusnik, and Eric Barton. Cody is the clear #2 nose tackle in the draft behind Dan Williams.

Scott Fujita has no business playing in a 3-4

wonderbredd24
04-05-2010, 09:12 PM
Scott Fujita has no business playing in a 3-4
I found that move confusing myself.

And Trusnik has no business starting at all. He is a very smart player with great instincts and almost no physical ability

keylime_5
04-05-2010, 09:19 PM
Trusnik is a solid run stuffer who can take on and shed blocks and can be moved around to all 4 linebacker spots....and he's smart which is good for our system. Fujita is the a lot the same except a better athlete and he's real long and can run downhill - can be moved around and can stuff the run.

Morton
04-05-2010, 09:26 PM
I think the chances that Holmgren takes Jimmy Clausen with the #7 pick are alot stronger than people realize.

I mean, who goes out and discounts a QB from teh get-go the way Holmgren did earlier in the month, unless it actually IS a smokescreen?

wonderbredd24
04-05-2010, 09:31 PM
I think the chances that Holmgren takes Jimmy Clausen with the #7 pick are alot stronger than people realize.

I mean, who goes out and discounts a QB from teh get-go the way Holmgren did earlier in the month, unless it actually IS a smokescreen?
He's never drafted a QB high in the draft.

And no one seems to like Jimmy Clausen. The Redskins and Mike Shanahan/Bruce Allen just bailed on him, Holmgren claims to not like him... if those hold true and Buffalo doesn't take him, who knows where he ends up?

Morton
04-05-2010, 09:46 PM
Again, I think Holmgren "claiming" to not like Jimmy Clausen is a smokescreen.

The more I think about it, the more I feel as if Clausen will go #7 to the Browns.

New regimes mean new quarterbacks, and I don't buy someone who values the QB position as much as Holmgren settling for Jake Delhomme and Seneca Wallace as his main starters. I think the plan is to use Jake Delhomme as the veteran and draft Jimmy Clausen to learn from him.

SenorGato
04-05-2010, 09:55 PM

I think Cody's a better 3-4 NT prospect than Williams is...personal preference really, but Williams went from one of the most underrated players in college football to one of the more overrated ones pretty fast...I'm weary of that.

I also don't buy the Bryant attacks that seemingly came out of nowhere after no one doubted him for 5-6 months. Something that shows up so fast based on minor incidents like cleats and a suspension everyone was calling bs when it happened just doesn't sound right to me. The Browns were very honest about how they saw Bryant last year...

wonderbredd24
04-05-2010, 09:59 PM
I think Cody's a better 3-4 NT prospect than Williams is...personal preference really, but Williams went from one of the most underrated players in college football to one of the more overrated ones pretty fast...I'm weary of that.

I also don't buy the Bryant attacks that seemingly came out of nowhere after no one doubted him for 5-6 months. Something that shows up so fast based on minor incidents like cleats and a suspension everyone was calling bs when it happened just doesn't sound right to me. The Browns were very honest about how they saw Bryant last year...
Bryant has a full time handler. He's had issues his entire life with his character. He had a very rough upbringing. This isn't new.

And then when he was called out on his ****** workout, he basically threw a fit lashing out at everyone and somehow compared himself to Randy Moss and then decided to defend Pacman Jones for some reason.

The Browns took the Draddy Award winner last year and a bunch of guys with like 3.5 GPAs who worked hard and were seniors. Mike Holmgren and Tom Heckert may slightly tweak that approach, but I doubt it's by much.

And the Browns don't need a nose tackle. We have Athyba Rubin and failing that, we still have Shaun Rogers.

keylime_5
04-05-2010, 10:04 PM
Again, I think Holmgren "claiming" to not like Jimmy Clausen is a smokescreen.

The more I think about it, the more I feel as if Clausen will go #7 to the Browns.

New regimes mean new quarterbacks, and I don't buy someone who values the QB position as much as Holmgren settling for Jake Delhomme and Seneca Wallace as his main starters. I think the plan is to use Jake Delhomme as the veteran and draft Jimmy Clausen to learn from him.

hard to tell but it would make more sense to drive up the value of the 7 pick by making other teams think he really wants Clausen. The only way that this being a smokescreen would make sense is if he wanted Clausen so much that he wanted other teams to think he has no interest in him at all...but I sincerely doubt that is the case. I've never heard of a guy doing that before. As wonderbredd said, Holmgren usually takes QBs in the mid-late rounds and develops them.

SenorGato
04-05-2010, 10:09 PM
Bryant has a full time handler. He's had issues his entire life with his character. He had a very rough upbringing. This isn't new.

It's new in the sense that alluva sudden things everyone knew about him are more significant than they were the whole rest of the time we could have been picking him apart.

And then when he was called out on his ****** workout, he basically threw a fit lashing out at everyone and somehow compared himself to Randy Moss and then decided to defend Pacman Jones for some reason.

Yes yes...again...noise to me...noise made more significant than it is because there's no other football news to talk about. Top talent is still top talent...

The Browns took the Draddy Award winner last year and a bunch of guys with like 3.5 GPAs who worked hard and were seniors. Mike Holmgren and Tom Heckert may slightly tweak that approach, but I doubt it's by much.

Oh, believe me I know all about Mangini's love for high character guys. I also know that Mangini recognizes talent extremely well, and that they made their opinion of Crabtree known even when that wouldn't help them in anyway.

One general rule I try to work with is that guys...especially college guys in their early 20's...are probably less evil than they're portrayed to be when they have nothing on their legal records. Not to mention Bryant fills a huge, huge hole they have on offense....their passing game would be so much better with someone legit to compliment Massaquiou and the disappointing Robiske. They already have most/all of the OL and they're getting closer with the RB talent.

And the Browns don't need a nose tackle. We have Athyba Rubin and failing that, we still have Shaun Rogers.

Very true, which is why I only listed Cody as a sleeper. Still comes down to talent, and Cody's one of the more talented guys in this draft. It's not like they're SO deep on the DL, and Cody can shift to DE in the 3-4...the job's still to kill the running game and eat up blockers there too. How sick would a Rogers - Rubin - Cody DL be? It pushes Coleman to 4th DL (he'd probably rotate heavily at the DE spots anyway given the other guys' size) where he thrived in Dallas. Plus Mangini and Ryan would have their DL anchor for the next 5-10 years.

Unbiased
04-06-2010, 12:20 AM
They will probably trade it to the Jets for #29, Mike Devito and Erik Ainge :).

If Holmgren wasn't calling the shots now, that would be funny.

CashmoneyDrew
04-06-2010, 12:23 AM
Erik Ainge is a saint!

gpngc
04-06-2010, 01:02 AM
hard to tell but it would make more sense to drive up the value of the 7 pick by making other teams think he really wants Clausen. The only way that this being a smokescreen would make sense is if he wanted Clausen so much that he wanted other teams to think he has no interest in him at all...but I sincerely doubt that is the case. I've never heard of a guy doing that before. As wonderbredd said, Holmgren usually takes QBs in the mid-late rounds and develops them.

I don't think we'll ever see a GM who is known most for being a QB guru say to a reporter at his own town's paper "I don't love this guy" then go ahead and select him (when no one in the top six is even thinking about him), and invest a large amount of money on a guy he publicly stated he isn't confident in.

I really don't think that is the case.

There are only a few extremely out-there scenarios in which meticulously planting this nugget into the paper as some sort of a master plan to show disinterest would actually benefit the Browns in their deep, dark pursuit of Jimmy Clausen. Mike Holmgren is a smart football guy, but I don't think he was playing draft chess back when he made those comments.

RWills
04-06-2010, 10:48 AM
per Rotoworld

According to ex-Browns scout Daniel Jeremiah, Derrick Morgan, Joe Haden, and Eric Berry will be Cleveland's top-three considerations at No. 7 overall.

He has Haden going to the Browns at No. 7 in his latest mock draft, a pick after the Seahawks select Berry. Jeremiah worked in Cleveland last year and presumably still has ties in the organization. He believes that Morgan, a 4-3 defensive end in college, fits the Browns' profile for a 3-4 outside linebacker.

jriles0522
04-06-2010, 11:26 AM

Ya look how that worked out, we drafted ******* Massaquoi, Robiskie, and Veikune.

I'll take talent all day every day. Percy Harvin had character concerns last year and look how that turned out. OROY, and he was much less polished a WR than Bryant was.

I think Bryant draws a valid comparision to his situation and Moss's. Teams will regret passing on him big time.

You can have as many smart people as you want on your team, but I would sure as hell have taken Harvin over Mass or Robo, and just about anyone over Veikune.

keylime_5
04-06-2010, 12:11 PM
per Rotoworld

According to ex-Browns scout Daniel Jeremiah, Derrick Morgan, Joe Haden, and Eric Berry will be Cleveland's top-three considerations at No. 7 overall.

He has Haden going to the Browns at No. 7 in his latest mock draft, a pick after the Seahawks select Berry. Jeremiah worked in Cleveland last year and presumably still has ties in the organization. He believes that Morgan, a 4-3 defensive end in college, fits the Browns' profile for a 3-4 outside linebacker.

some other people close to the organization (who aren't fired scouts) say Berry, Thomas, and Odrick are three guys they really like. So there ya go, it's two+ weeks before the draft. I think Berry or trade down and take Odrick or Thomas. I could definitely see Haden or Morgan at 7 though. They fit the profile of what they want and have shown a lot of interest in those 2.

CC.SD
04-06-2010, 12:51 PM
I'd like to see Trent Williams there if that particular scenario plays out.

It's not even close to the greatest need but you could make an argument for value, and would give them an elite O-line across the board. Want to talk about building blocks, that would be sick.

P01ntb1ank
04-06-2010, 01:23 PM
Another option we could consider is Sean Weatherspoon. He would be the perfect option to target if we were to trade down. The guy fits the Browns mold of players for the new organization and I think he could potentially be a solid 3-4 OLB

wonderbredd24
04-06-2010, 01:24 PM
Another option we could consider is Sean Weatherspoon. He would be the perfect option to target if we were to trade down. The guy fits the Browns mold of players for the new organization and I think he could potentially be a solid 3-4 OLB

First, he's a poor fit for the 3-4 if you ask me.

Second, if he were going to be in the 3-4, he'd be an ILB, not an OLB.

Spoon is a great linebacker for the 4-3

wonderbredd24
04-06-2010, 01:26 PM
I'd like to see Trent Williams there if that particular scenario plays out.

It's not even close to the greatest need but you could make an argument for value, and would give them an elite O-line across the board. Want to talk about building blocks, that would be sick.

It wouldn't be the worst move in the world, but it's a difficult one from a financial standpoint.

But with Thomas, Mack, and Williams, the Browns could walk down the field

georgiafan
04-06-2010, 03:36 PM
The other thing is that part of Spiller's value is his ability to contribute as a returner, but the Browns don't need one as they have Josh Cribbs, who is on his way to being the best returner in history.

My personal preference is that they grab another mid-late round guy like they did with James Davis and adopt the New York Giants model of just adding a mid-late round back every year behind a great OLine and eventually you'll have a nice stable of running backs.

Currently, the Browns have Jerome Harrison, Peyton Hillis, and James Davis. Conceivably, the Browns could add a Stafon Johnson or a James Starks and just run them behind Vickers and Mack to daylight.

Yea taking Spiller at #7 wouldn't make any sense to me with the other backs they have on the roster. They are plenty of other HB's they can find in midrounds to go along with the backs they have. What they need on offense is a QB and a #1 WR.

CC.SD
04-06-2010, 03:41 PM
It wouldn't be the worst move in the world, but it's a difficult one from a financial standpoint.

But with Thomas, Mack, and Williams, the Browns could walk down the field

Yeah, and you're always in games if your O-line can impose it's will. Get a battering ram later in the draft to pair with Davis and suddenly the Browns belong in the AFC North again, at least from a team personality standpoint.

I think T. Williams at 7 is less of a reach than some of the other players being discussed. It's not like Holmgren doesn't know the value of a dominant O-line either.

*thoughtfully strokes beard

keylime_5
04-06-2010, 03:55 PM
Yea taking Spiller at #7 wouldn't make any sense to me with the other backs they have on the roster. They are plenty of other HB's they can find in midrounds to go along with the backs they have. What they need on offense is a QB and a #1 WR.

truth. but they want some speed and a playmaker on offense and Spiller fits that bill. Harrison was a gamebreaker late last year, but he probably isn't a guy who carries the ball 20 times a game and isn't really a fast guy, rather a quick guy who can cut and has great vision.

Yeah, and you're always in games if your O-line can impose it's will. Get a battering ram later in the draft to pair with Davis and suddenly the Browns belong in the AFC North again, at least from a team personality standpoint.

I think T. Williams at 7 is less of a reach than some of the other players being discussed. It's not like Holmgren doesn't know the value of a dominant O-line either.

*thoughtfully strokes beard

T.Williams is a great value at #7 to play left tackle. I can't see us taking a right tackle at 10. It just doesn't happen in the NFL. I certainly wouldn't complain but I don't think it's being considered by the team really. RTs in the NFL today were drafted at an average of like round 3 or 4. Also I think they view Hillis as the ram to pair with Harrison and Davis, but I could definitely see them taking a power back in the mid to late rounds.

nepg
04-06-2010, 05:19 PM
Cleveland is slave to KC. I don't think KC passes on McClain there...if they do, it's to take Berry (no way they go OL).

If McClain's there, he's their pick. Otherwise, if they don't go QB (Clausen), it's gotta be Haden.

keylime_5
04-06-2010, 05:20 PM
I've been hearing they were likely to take OLine at 5. Makes perfect sense with Pioli's draft philosophy too. They like Bulaga. I could see them only passing on an OT for Berry. I think Seattle is more of a wildcard than KC for us. They could take a an OT (Bulaga or Williams) or Spiller or Berry at 6.

JoeJoeBrown
04-06-2010, 05:42 PM
The idea of JPP at #7 makes me want to puke.

PoopSandwich
04-06-2010, 06:07 PM
In this case Haden/Offensive linemen/Bryant would be the most obvious choices.

IDK why so many people have us taking a running back possibly, we have 4 players and Harrison burst onto the scene at the end of the year.

TheRoo
04-06-2010, 06:41 PM
The idea of JPP at #7 makes me want to puke.

Agreed.

I'm very confident it's not gonna happen though.

Holmeckini realizes we have to hit on our picks and isn't gonna take a risk on someone like JPP.

nepg
04-06-2010, 08:20 PM
I've been hearing they were likely to take OLine at 5. Makes perfect sense with Pioli's draft philosophy too. They like Bulaga. I could see them only passing on an OT for Berry. I think Seattle is more of a wildcard than KC for us. They could take a an OT (Bulaga or Williams) or Spiller or Berry at 6.

How does it make sense with Pioli's drafting philosophy?

The earliest he ever drafted an OL is #32 with one of the biggest luxury picks in NFL history. The next-earliest pick was Matt Light at #48 in 2001. Kaczur was a 3rd round pick, Koppen was a 5th, O'Callaghan was a 5th rounder, Dan Stevenson was a 6th, and Neal (and everyone else besides Kenyatta Jones in 2001 (4th)) was a UDFA. I'm mulliganing 2007 because the Pats purposely threw most of those picks away because they didn't have any roster spots available (they wanted the guys they drafted to make it to the PS). That's 8 (well, 7) years and they drafted - DRAFTED - 7 offensive linemen. Only 3 of them went in the first three rounds. Mankins barely sniffed the first, and Light was in the middle of the second.

His Top 20 picks have been DE, NT, DE, and ILB with the Pats, and DE with the Chiefs. If you don't see a pattern here, I don't know what to say. If you see a pattern of going OL early, I don't know what to say.

keylime_5
04-06-2010, 08:22 PM
Pioli likes to build the lines and would spend a top 10 pick on a DL or OL before he ever picked a WR or S that high. That seems to be his MO. They need a left tackle and are reportedly very high on Pioli's buddy Kirk Ferentz's player Bryan Bulaga. If you wanna play the draft history game, the only time the Pats took a DB in the first with Pioli was Brandon Meriweather.

Splat
04-06-2010, 08:26 PM
I just can't see the Chiefs spending another 50 million on DL now OT I could see.

keylime_5
04-06-2010, 08:34 PM
i dont mean they're gonna take a DL this year, just that Pioli's philosophy is that he'd take a DT or OT before he ever takes a WR or S if he needs both even if it means sacrifing value. He did it last year with Jackson over Crabtree and Curry, he'll probably do it this year with Bulaga over Berry and Bryant.

Morton
04-06-2010, 09:13 PM
Why are Browns fans so upset if you suggest that Holmgren just might pick Jimmy Clausen with the #7 pick? In my opinion, it would be the smart thing to do, if Holmgren really likes the kid.

Don't you guys realize how important quarterbacks are in the NFL? Having a franchise QB is more important than having an elite safety like Eric Berry, or even an elite DT like Gerald McCoy.

Read this article:

http://walterfootball.com/mattblog100406.php

wonderbredd24
04-06-2010, 09:20 PM
Why are Browns fans so upset if you suggest that Holmgren just might pick Jimmy Clausen with the #7 pick? In my opinion, it would be the smart thing to do, if Holmgren really likes the kid.

Don't you guys realize how important quarterbacks are in the NFL? Having a franchise QB is more important than having an elite safety like Eric Berry, or even an elite DT like Gerald McCoy.

Read this article:

His weapons at Notre Dame are better than the weapons in Cleveland for one thing.

The Browns' offense is a disaster. The only proven weapon they have is Josh Cribbs, who is a wildcat QB. Beyond that, it's a bunch of hopefully's, if's, and potential.

And it's a method that didn't work with Tim Couch, didn't work with Charlie Frye, and didn't work with Brady Quinn, so why would it make sense to use the 7th overall pick on an extremely questionable quarterback like Jimmy Clausen?

This is just my opinion, but if you put Bradford and Clausen up against last year's quarterbacks, Bradford is 3rd and Clausen is 5th, which certainly doesn't warrant 7th pick overall.

Jimmy Clausen, to me, is incredibly overrated. He really didn't develop all that much in college and he doesn't appear to have much upside in the pros.

He led one of the most underachieving offenses in the country by far. With Golden Tate, Michael Floyd (even for only part of the season), and Kyle Rudolf (which could all end up 1st round picks), Clausen was only able to lead them to 6 wins against a weakened schedule and before people throw the defense under the bus, it actually over achieved.

The Browns would be far better off to pass on Clausen, build up the talent on this team and go for one of the far better set of QBs in next year's draft.

Morton
04-06-2010, 09:25 PM
No offense, but I think Mike Holmgren knows more about quarterbacks than you do, or anyone of us on this forum does.

If he sees something in the kid that he likes, and takes him at #7, you guys had better be grateful for the move. It means you guys finally got a franchise QB.

wonderbredd24
04-06-2010, 09:29 PM
No offense, but I think Mike Holmgren knows more about quarterbacks than you do, or anyone of us on this forum does.

If he sees something in the kid that he likes, and takes him at #7, you guys had better be grateful for the move. It means you guys finally got a franchise QB.
Al Davis knows more than anyone on this forum. Unbelievably worthless point.

The only thing Mike Holmgren has said about Clausen is he wished he liked him more. Not exactly a ringing endorsement and maybe insulting the kid is a smokescreen, but it seems unlikely. Washington and Mike Shanahan (who knows more than anyone on this forum) bailed on Clausen with the McNabb trade and at least by appearance, Holmgren does not like him either. Maybe, just maybe NFL teams don't like Jimmy Clausen.

More to the point with Mike Holmgren, he has never drafted a QB early... not even close. He's usually picking a QB a year in the mid to late rounds.

Brown Leader
04-06-2010, 09:32 PM

Read this article:

Because he said he didn't.

Yeah, we get that...

Couch/Holcomb
Garcia
Dilfer/Frye
Anderson/Quinn

keylime_5
04-06-2010, 10:00 PM

Read this article:

I'm not upset at the idea. I think we need a young franchise QB in the worst way and the best way to get one is by spending a first round - usually a top ten pick- on a guy. Doesn't sound like Holmgren is gonna do that with Clausen this year based on what he's said and what the buzz from those close to the organization are saying.

JeffSamardzijaIRISH
04-06-2010, 10:26 PM
His weapons at Notre Dame are better than the weapons in Cleveland for one thing.

The Browns' offense is a disaster. The only proven weapon they have is Josh Cribbs, who is a wildcat QB. Beyond that, it's a bunch of hopefully's, if's, and potential.

And it's a method that didn't work with Tim Couch, didn't work with Charlie Frye, and didn't work with Brady Quinn, so why would it make sense to use the 7th overall pick on an extremely questionable quarterback like Jimmy Clausen?

This is just my opinion, but if you put Bradford and Clausen up against last year's quarterbacks, Bradford is 3rd and Clausen is 5th, which certainly doesn't warrant 7th pick overall.

Jimmy Clausen, to me, is incredibly overrated. He really didn't develop all that much in college and he doesn't appear to have much upside in the pros.

He led one of the most underachieving offenses in the country by far. With Golden Tate, Michael Floyd (even for only part of the season), and Kyle Rudolf (which could all end up 1st round picks), Clausen was only able to lead them to 6 wins against a weakened schedule and before people throw the defense under the bus, it actually over achieved.

The Browns would be far better off to pass on Clausen, build up the talent on this team and go for one of the far better set of QBs in next year's draft.

Well for one, Jimmy played on an absolutely horrible offense in his freshman year, so it wouldn't be a complete shock to him like it would be Bradford.

Next, why do you think that Jimmy didn't develop much? He had a HUGE jump from his Freshman to Sophomore year, then another HUGE jump from his Sophomore to Junior year. I would say he had a huge development since entering college.

It's not his fault that the team only won 6 games. In those losses, the offense put up 34 points (Michigan, defense gave up game winning drive), 27 (USC, Jimmy almost brought ND back to win it), 21 (Navy, but Jimmy did throw for 452 yards, ND defense gave up 348 yards rushing), 22 (Pittsburgh, gave up 193 yards rushing), 30 (UConn, gave up 231 yards rushing), and 38 (Stanford, gave up 280 yards rushing). ND was ranked 24th in total offense, 8th in YPG, 7th in passing yards. The offense did not really underachieve (though you can say that the run game was pretty bad). The defense was the reason for most of the losses.

Clausen has solid arm strength and superb accuracy. He puts the ball where only his guy can get it most of the time. Don't forget he only had 4 INT's the whole year in 425 attempts. Also, Clausen was playing on a sprained ligament the whole year, yet still was able to put up those great numbers.

PoopSandwich
04-06-2010, 10:34 PM

Wow, Mike Holmgren is batting a thousand huh?

First he bring in Jake "Pick 6" Delhomme and pays him starter money, and now he basically gives away Brady Quinn for peanuts to the Broncos.

Nice!

Eat your own words pal.

wonderbredd24
04-06-2010, 10:39 PM
Well for one, Jimmy played on an absolutely horrible offense in his freshman year, so it wouldn't be a complete shock to him like it would be Bradford.

Next, why do you think that Jimmy didn't develop much? He had a HUGE jump from his Freshman to Sophomore year, then another HUGE jump from his Sophomore to Junior year. I would say he had a huge development since entering college.

It's not his fault that the team only won 6 games. In those losses, the offense put up 34 points (Michigan, defense gave up game winning drive), 27 (USC, Jimmy almost brought ND back to win it), 21 (Navy, but Jimmy did throw for 452 yards, ND defense gave up 348 yards rushing), 22 (Pittsburgh, gave up 193 yards rushing), 30 (UConn, gave up 231 yards rushing), and 38 (Stanford, gave up 280 yards rushing). ND was ranked 24th in total offense, 8th in YPG, 7th in passing yards. The offense did not really underachieve (though you can say that the run game was pretty bad). The defense was the reason for most of the losses.

Clausen has solid arm strength and superb accuracy. He puts the ball where only his guy can get it most of the time. Don't forget he only had 4 INT's the whole year in 425 attempts. Also, Clausen was playing on a sprained ligament the whole year, yet still was able to put up those great numbers.

Every single loss for Notre Dame was within 7 points.

And with a defense as bad as ND's was supposed to against an offense like Pitt's, I think if you went in saying you'd only 23 to win, you'd take it in a heartbeat.

Against Navy AT HOME, ND only scored 7 points in the first 3 quarters.

They only managed 20 against against BC at home

And be honest with yourself with the Michigan game. Notre Dame should have scored 60+ against a pitiful Michigan defense. Golden Tate could not be stopped the entire game.

Notre Dame played what amounted to 2 ranked teams the entire season in Pittsburgh and USC only going 6-6 with that offense. They under achieved.

As for his supposedly superb accuracy, it's not hard to look accurate when you can chuck the ball up knowing Tate and Floyd can go up and get it.

thebow305
04-06-2010, 11:34 PM
I hope these new Odrick rumors are true, because if they DO take him, it opens the best possible scenario for Eric Berry to fall to the Dolphins at 12. Because then Clausen and guys like Haden, Morgan and JPP will fall as well and tempt teams like Jacksonville and Denver into taking the QB, or with Jax, the pass rushers or CB instead.

SenorGato
04-07-2010, 12:31 AM
He really didn't develop all that much in college and he doesn't appear to have much upside in the pros.

Jimmy Clausen didn't develop in college? In what way? His statistical career says otherwise...

bitonti
04-07-2010, 07:59 AM
They just traded for a corner, I don't think they would take one here.

Sheldon Brown can't really run anymore... he's 31 and fading. Joe Haden would still be my pick in that situation.

nothing against Clausen but the Browns can't take him anymore than the Raiders could take Bulaga. Brady Quinn means no Clausen for CLE... just like Al Davis can't take another Iowa OT because of Gallery.

PickedOffTwice
04-07-2010, 08:31 AM
Read this article:

The Article makes some good points. But the author is working under a pretty questionable assumption: That Jimmy Clausen is the greatest thing since Powdered Toast. If that is the case, then the article is indeed right.

The point is: You never know. It's a gamble.

The Dude Abides
04-07-2010, 08:37 AM
I don't get how Clausen going to the same school as Brady Quinn prevents us from taking him.

keylime_5
04-07-2010, 09:06 AM
I hope these new Odrick rumors are true, because if they DO take him, it opens the best possible scenario for Eric Berry to fall to the Dolphins at 12. Because then Clausen and guys like Haden, Morgan and JPP will fall as well and tempt teams like Jacksonville and Denver into taking the QB, or with Jax, the pass rushers or CB instead.

berry isn't falling past 7. Odrick I think is more of a fallback option for them along with Earl Thomas.

i think they still want a CB, but I don't think they draft Joe Haden in the top ten.

Splat
04-07-2010, 09:14 AM
The Article makes some good points. But the author is working under a pretty questionable assumption: That Jimmy Clausen is the greatest thing since Powdered Toast.

http://i41.tinypic.com/14ccex2.jpg

fear the elf
04-07-2010, 09:19 AM
berry isn't falling past 7. Odrick I think is more of a fallback option for them along with Earl Thomas.

i think they still want a CB, but I don't think they draft Joe Haden in the top ten.

I think you're right about everything here. I don't like Odrick or Thomas at #7 though. If we trade back somehow then I don't mind, but the value just isn't right at that spot.

I still wouldn't mind Haden if Berry is gone. Based on his size, athletic ability, and work ethic, learning from one of the best veteran CB's in the league makes him a lock to be good down the road (I know that's not true, but it would be incredibly helpful for him). Sheldon won't be a top corner forever, so Haden would replace him in a couple years, plus you need more than 2 good corners. Another reason it wouldn't bother me is, if Sheldon does start to slow down, he could move to FS and Haden would fill his spot.

yourfavestoner
04-07-2010, 11:18 AM
I think you're right about everything here. I don't like Odrick or Thomas at #7 though. If we trade back somehow then I don't mind, but the value just isn't right at that spot.

I still wouldn't mind Haden if Berry is gone. Based on his size, athletic ability, and work ethic, learning from one of the best veteran CB's in the league makes him a lock to be good down the road (I know that's not true, but it would be incredibly helpful for him). Sheldon won't be a top corner forever, so Haden would replace him in a couple years, plus you need more than 2 good corners. Another reason it wouldn't bother me is, if Sheldon does start to slow down, he could move to FS and Haden would fill his spot.

Also, even if he doesn't start right away, Haden will make for a hell of a nickle corner while he's developing. He's super aggressive against the run and tackles with excellent form and power. He may never become an elite, shutdown LCB who never needs help like Revis or Asomugah (although the potential is there) but at the very least he'll be a top RCB for years to come.

PoopSandwich
04-07-2010, 12:04 PM
Also, even if he doesn't start right away, Haden will make for a hell of a nickle corner while he's developing. He's super aggressive against the run and tackles with excellent form and power. He may never become an elite, shutdown LCB who never needs help like Revis or Asomugah (although the potential is there) but at the very least he'll be a top RCB for years to come.

Him and Wright would be nasty together. I still would prefer a defensive backfield that consisted of Wright/Brown/Berry/Elam

Aloysius
04-07-2010, 02:44 PM
I think the Browns should look for upgrades at both safety spots, but it sounds like they're going to stick with Abe Elam for at least one more year.

fear the elf
04-07-2010, 02:47 PM
I think the Browns should look for upgrades at both safety spots, but it sounds like they're going to stick with Abe Elam for at least one more year.

Maybe Taylor Mays will fall to us in the second! Then we could have Brown/Berry/Mays/Wright! :)

wonderbredd24
04-07-2010, 02:48 PM
Maybe Taylor Mays will fall to us in the second! Then we could have Brown/Berry/Mays/Wright! :)

I'd rather take Nate Allen or Chad Jones over Taylor Mays

keylime_5
04-07-2010, 02:49 PM
I'd take Morgan Burnett or Nate Allen over Mays. Then again it would be cool to use Mays in our 46 looks with Berry roaming centerfield.

fear the elf
04-07-2010, 02:52 PM
I think it'd be a lot of fun seeing Mays flying around laying huge hits on the receivers coming over the middle and Berry flying in and getting the INT from the tipped ball.

That's my dream...

Aloysius
04-07-2010, 03:01 PM
I like the Chad Jones idea. Not sure he'd be a great complement to Elam if the Browns only bring in one safety, but he's got the potential to be a significant upgrade over Abe.

wonderbredd24
04-07-2010, 03:05 PM
I think it'd be a lot of fun seeing Mays flying around laying huge hits on the receivers coming over the middle and Berry flying in and getting the INT from the tipped ball.

That's my dream...

As long as its in a straight line, he can fly

fear the elf
04-07-2010, 03:12 PM
As long as its in a straight line, he can fly

Why do you tear me down? :(

nepg
04-07-2010, 04:56 PM
The Browns' board's gotta be:
1. Suh
2. McCoy
3. Berry
4. McClain
5. Haden

One of those guys should be there at #7.

Sheldon Brown doesn't affect the Browns' draft in any way. He's a slightly older player who's not going to be there very long.

keylime_5
04-07-2010, 05:10 PM
I think it's

1-Sam Bradford
2-Gerald McCoy
3-Ndamukong Suh
4-Eric Berry
5-Jared Odrick
6-Earl Thomas

maybe Derrick Morgan is ahead of Odrick and/or Thomas. I don't think Haden is.

wonderbredd24
04-07-2010, 06:46 PM
The Browns' board's gotta be:
1. Suh
2. McCoy
3. Berry
4. McClain
5. Haden

One of those guys should be there at #7.

Sheldon Brown doesn't affect the Browns' draft in any way. He's a slightly older player who's not going to be there very long.

Switch Haden and McClain and that's perfect

thebow305
04-07-2010, 11:43 PM
I think it's

1-Sam Bradford
2-Gerald McCoy
3-Ndamukong Suh
4-Eric Berry
5-Jared Odrick
6-Earl Thomas

maybe Derrick Morgan is ahead of Odrick and/or Thomas. I don't think Haden is.

Yeah I think this is probably pretty spot on. I'm not a Browns fan, but if I had to guess based on what I've heard, it probably looks like this:

1. Sam Bradford
2. Ndamukong Suh
3. Gerald McCoy
4. Eric Berry
5. Jared Odrick
6. Derrick Morgan
7. Joe Haden
8. Jimmy Clausen
9. Earl Thomas
10. Jason Pierre-Paul

CC.SD
04-07-2010, 11:57 PM

I think you're psyching yourself out Bow. Berry literally cannot fall out of the top 10.

thebow305
04-07-2010, 11:58 PM
I think you're psyching yourself out Bow. Berry literally cannot fall out of the top 10.

lol, probably. But a guy can dream can't he!? :)

CC.SD
04-08-2010, 12:09 AM
lol, probably. But a guy can dream can't he!? :)

hell yah he can! Hey the Browns have a WR need, maybe the Fins can ship Ginn and a bag of chips back to Buckeye nation in a 12>7 swap and get Berry.

PoopSandwich
04-08-2010, 12:29 AM
hell yah he can! Hey the Browns have a WR need, maybe the Fins can ship Ginn and a bag of chips back to Buckeye nation in a 12>7 swap and get Berry.

Ginn #12 and a third for #7 if Berry is gone, Browns go back and get Earl Thomas?

I wouldn't complain although Ginn can't catch **** and Massaquoi looks to have some problems with hanging onto the ball.

MenOfTroy
04-08-2010, 01:34 AM
Repped for using the word "quagmire." Nice.

MenOfTroy
04-08-2010, 01:41 AM
Jimmy Clausen seems like an obvious choice to me. You get rid of Quinn and Anderson, bring in two stopgaps (which misleadingly implies that they'll be effective) in Delhomme and Wallace, and you've got to believe that Mangini and Holmgren will be looking for their own QB to build on now.

Clausen is criminally underrated anyway. They'd be crazy to pass on him IMO if he's there.

dolphinfan2k5
04-08-2010, 02:03 AM
Ginn #12 and a third for #7 if Berry is gone, Browns go back and get Earl Thomas?

I wouldn't complain although Ginn can't catch **** and Massaquoi looks to have some problems with hanging onto the ball.

Ginn has been fine catching the ball except for a terrible stretch of like six games when Chad Henne became the starter last season. Although he had some really bad drops, it's overblown. I think it was probably caused by the adjustment to a new quarterback who is pretty much the polar opposite of Pennington.

gpngc
04-08-2010, 02:25 AM
The Trent Williams craze and just a change in thinking is having me lean toward Seattle going with T-Will or Spiller at #6.

With Pioli acknowledging that it would be difficult for him to draft a safety that high, the Seahawks are the key to the Browns getting Berry (unless the Skins do something insane).

Bad news for Berry-Browns fans (99% of Browns fans I hope) is that the Seahawks have essentially NOTHING at safety and were last (or close to last) in the league in pass defense last season.

GoRavens
04-08-2010, 05:30 AM
After signing Seneca and Delhomme, the Browns have made it clear that they won't go after a top QB in this draft. In my eyes its either;
1) CB - Joe Haden
2) WR - Dez Bryant
3) OT - Trent Williams
One of these guys will be the Browns first pick.

roscoesdad27
04-08-2010, 08:53 AM
the browns pick is wide open if suh, mccoy and berry are gone which is almost assured.....heres my top 6.

1) s.l. ...s. bradford
phillip rivers clone for a team that dsperately needs a q.b....suh wouldnt shock me that much.

2) det ...n. suh
best player in the draft and fills a need....okung could be a sleeper

3) t.b. ...g. mccoy
suh/mccoy are ideal....berry if s.l. goes suh #1 and detriot takes mccoy.

4) washington ...r. okung
a lock if available...prolly go buluga or t. williams if okung is gone.

5) k.c. ...e. berry
i think albert is alot better than givin credit for and played really well in the latter part of the season, i think adding a strong o.g. next to him should be the o.l. strategy for this team and there will be some great ones available with 1 of the 2 second round picks they have....mcclain or an olb like graham could be sleepers.

6) sea ...b. buluga
with a gaping hole at a prime position the hawks go buluga here unless e. berry was available...also watch for spiller.

7) cleveland ...?
in my preference order as of now

a) t. williams...gritty run blocker that plays with a noted mean streak but also has the atheleticism of a left tackle and plenty of upside to go along with it...would be ideal at r.t. opposite thomas and gives you guys a potentially dominate o.l. .

b) r. mcclain...great all around ilb prospect would give mangini a brushchi/vrabel caliber ilb duo along with quell jackson that should shore up your horrible run defense once and for all....will bring leadership and top notch intangibles.

c) e. thomas ...ballhawking free safety is more physical than most realize and has the coverage skills to play man on recievers giving ryan alot of freedom with his exotic blitz packages.

d) b. graham...olb is a huge need but the position is complicated this year esp. when it comes to pick #7....jpp and morgan seems like they would be lost in space and i'm not sure if they would be as effective rushing the passer standing up...kindle and hughes fit better than jpp or morgan imho but are they top 7 worthy?...when its all said in done IF they decide to go olb with this pick i think it should be graham who is a virtual lamar woodly clone but with more upside.

e) j. haden ...physical playmaker fits your bump and run system to perfection but has slid down your guys board because of the sheldon brown signing, the depth at c.b. in this class and is also a tad slower than i thought.

f) j. odrick...would be a great fit at 3-4 d.e. and would follow the patriot draft startegy of taking d.l. early but with 3 3rd round picks and considering the depth at this positin this year odrick would surprise me.

g) j. clausen....i just dont hink he has "it" ala kyle boller and will slide to the vikes.

fear the elf
04-08-2010, 09:04 AM
lots of stuff

In your scenario, I would ideally trade back (easier said than done). If that isn't possible, my board would look something like this:

1. Haden
2. Graham - I just love him
3. Williams
4. Bryant

I'm weary of Odrick, since he was once considered a borderline 1st round prospect and is now a possibility in the top 10.

JPP is too much risk for my taste.

Earl Thomas seems great, but his value seems outside the top 10 to me.

McClain is the same as Earl to me.

I don't like the thought of drafting another young QB to come into this offense, so Clausen doesn't appeal to me either.

keylime_5
04-08-2010, 10:33 AM
i don't think they take Haden at 7.