PDA

View Full Version : DT a first day need now... unless Scott is resigned

Smokey Joe
03-15-2007, 06:10 PM
Tank has been sentenced to 4 months of jail (120 days), and he would likely receive a 4 game suspension form the league when he returns. Plus,
he would miss most of the offseason workouts also. Unless Ian Scott is resigned, which doesn't seem likely at this point, or the Bears sign a DT like Anthony Adams, DT will be a definite 1st day need. Boone is also a free agent and while he wouldn't be that good of choice as a starter he still provided good depth. Now, if the Bears don't sign someone capable of starting, they will be stuck with only Tommie Harris who is returning from injury, Dusty Dvorecek who has never played a down of NFL football, and Antonio Garay who is just a decent backup/special teamer. A DT would become a 1st day need.

Bighead734
03-15-2007, 06:14 PM
I think it was a high need even without Tank being in jail. Losing Ian Scott and Alfonso Boone is half of our rotation. Granted, Dvoracek will likely be healthy but we do not know what we have with him yet. I would expect someone with one of the first two picks or someone with our 3rd rounder.

DeMarcus Tyler seems to fit our one-gap system and is a possibility in the late first/early 2nd. Unless Tyler is the pick, I do not see Jerry taking anyone until the mid rounds who could simply add depth.

Hurricane Ditka
03-15-2007, 07:09 PM
Tank'll spend less than 100 days in Jail and be back by training camp.

bearsfan_51
03-15-2007, 07:12 PM
Unless of course he's suspended by the league.

That being said, how did any of you not see this coming? I've been saying this since it happened. Of course he was going to get a jail sentence and then subsequent action by the league.

pellepelle_10
03-15-2007, 07:23 PM
Unless of course he's suspended by the league.

That being said, how did any of you not see this coming? I've been saying this since it happened. Of course he was going to get a jail sentence and then subsequent action by the league.

So in addition to Safety we can add DT to the list and with Briggs being b-tch of the century we can add OLB as another. It stinks when you think we can upgrade the offense the defense remains a big concern. In any of these positions we lose one key player and down the toilet it goes.

Hurricane Ditka
03-15-2007, 07:25 PM
Over reaction much? We need to make some big upgrades on offense, we need starters on offense, where as we need depth on defense. Depth can be found on day 2.

pellepelle_10
03-15-2007, 07:52 PM
Over reaction much? We need to make some big upgrades on offense, we need starters on offense, where as we need depth on defense. Depth can be found on day 2.

You might want to take another look at that.

Briggs, Mike Brown, and Tank Johnson are all starters with huge concerns. Not to mention you have Tommie Harris returning from a season injury with 2 former DT's about to be signed elsewhere. In addition you have only 1 of 3 remaining LB's who is a true starter.

This isn't depth. These are our starters.

Bearsfan123
03-15-2007, 08:06 PM
so lets resign Scott to a one year contract of about 3 million. whoop dee do, he can be a starter until Tank returns and then they compete to start.

bearsfan_51
03-15-2007, 09:03 PM
Scott needs to go. He'd be better off in another system anyway.

Plus if we're going to spend the 3 mil we should sign Anthony Adams, who would be better off in a gap penetration scheme anyway.

(Not to mention that I'm sure Scott is looking for a multi-year deal)

KBear
03-15-2007, 09:22 PM
I have viewed DT as a possible first day pick for the Bears for a while now. I think everyone saw Tank spending some time in jail for a while now. But his contract is up in two years and I'm not sure if he will be in the long term future for the Bears. However, I dont believe that the Bears will take a DT on the first day. They have enough depth there now that it is not a pressing need. But I can see them taking one on the second day of the draft as isurance for the worst possible DT scenario (if Harris does not recover, Dvoracek turns out to be a bust or at least not ready yet, Tank being suspended, Garay not proving to be worth more playing time).

pellepelle_10
03-15-2007, 09:27 PM
I have viewed DT as a possible first day pick for the Bears for a while now. I think everyone saw Tank spending some time in jail for a while now. But his contract is up in two years and I'm not sure if he will be in the long term future for the Bears. However, I dont believe that the Bears will take a DT on the first day. They have enough depth there now that it is not a pressing need. But I can see them taking one on the second day of the draft as isurance for the worst possible DT scenario (if Harris does not recover, Dvoracek turns out to be a bust or at least not ready yet, Tank being suspended, Garay not proving to be worth more playing time).

KBear you have to be kidding me bro. We're about to lose 2 quality starters at DT and the rest are all unknown other than Tank and Harris who both have concerns. This isn't any longer a position of strength until Harris is proven he's healthy and Tank has proven he can stay out of trouble. Other than these 2 we have a bunch of question marks. Boone and Scott aren't stellar by any means but we can have them in games without feeling like they're going to just get exposed an entire game. These guys could at least hold their own.

Hurricane Ditka
03-15-2007, 09:41 PM
KBear you have to be kidding me bro. We're about to lose 2 quality starters at DT and the rest are all unknown other than Tank and Harris who both have concerns. This isn't any longer a position of strength until Harris is proven he's healthy and Tank has proven he can stay out of trouble. Other than these 2 we have a bunch of question marks. Boone and Scott aren't stellar by any means but we can have them in games without feeling like they're going to just get exposed an entire game. These guys could at least hold their own.
Scott was a serviceable starter, and Boone was a quality back-up. Niether was really starter material in our scheme, I like Antonio Johnson in the fourth round, his old Dline coach is now our Dline coach, and learning under Tommie Harris he could develop quite nicely. I think Dusty was drafted with the intention of replacing Scott this year. We haven't visited with any free agents, which is odd because we had a decent amount of cap space, and are a competing franchise. We need to rely on the draft to address our immediate needs, and win now. Which why an offensive lineman, and other offensive assets would be better first and second round picks, and let the defense take a back seat in this draft. You act like a fourth round pick couldn't make an impact, when Alex Brown, Ian Scott, and Mark Anderson are all second day picks. Jerry has had success with defensive line and linebacker in the lower rounds, so with your need to have Jerry follow his draft trends, theres one for ya.

pellepelle_10
03-15-2007, 09:45 PM
Scott was a serviceable starter, and Boone was a quality back-up. Niether was really starter material in our scheme, I like Antonio Johnson in the fourth round, his old Dline coach is now our Dline coach, and learning under Tommie Harris he could develop quite nicely. I think Dusty was drafted with the intention of replacing Scott this year. We haven't visited with any free agents, which is odd because we had a decent amount of cap space, and are a competing franchise. We need to rely on the draft to address our immediate needs, and win now. Which why an offensive lineman, and other offensive assets would be better first and second round picks, and let the defense take a back seat in this draft. You act like a fourth round pick couldn't make an impact, when Alex Brown, Ian Scott, and Mark Anderson are all second day picks. Jerry has had success with defensive line and linebacker in the lower rounds, so with your need to have Jerry follow his draft trends, theres one for ya.

Angelo is a late rnd guru so I'll give that one to you. Also after the draft there are june 1st cuts so we'd still have time. All in all I think we'll be ok at all positions when season begins.

bearsfan_51
03-16-2007, 06:10 AM
I really wouldn't be suprised if we took a dip next year. Thankfully our division is crap, but if the Packers can acquire Moss and he returns to form we could have some real competition on our hands.

There just seems to be a lot of negativity in Bearland and a lot of focus on non-football related issues. That's never a good thing. We need to have a positive draft to regain some momentum.

regoob2
03-16-2007, 10:16 AM
With everything going on its tough not to be negative

dabears10
03-16-2007, 10:21 AM
If Amobi Okoye drops past the 12 range (unlikely) do you see the bears trying to move up to get him? What's the highest first round pick you think we can get with our High 2nd late 1st?

bearsfan_51
03-16-2007, 10:30 AM
If Amobi Okoye drops past the 12 range (unlikely) do you see the bears trying to move up to get him? What's the highest first round pick you think we can get with our High 2nd late 1st?

The highest would probably be 13. The 12 is close to value but usually if a team knows that you're trying to trade up they will get greater value. Often I would imagine it depends on who is making the call.

regoob2
03-16-2007, 10:39 AM
Were hurting at several positions why would we want to trade up

regoob2
03-16-2007, 10:43 AM
Tank could be out after 60 days I dont think we'll cut him, he might get suspended for a couple games but I still dont think DT is were we should go with our first 2 picks if we stay at 31 37, Id say offensive playmaker or safety but Id prefer a trade down at 37 for a second and third

KBear
03-16-2007, 04:32 PM

Boone and Scott have NFL talent, but when where they drafted? Second day of the draft. And yes we are unsure how well or how fast Harris will heal but he should be fine. Tank might miss a few games and Dvoracek is an unkown. But is adding a day pick who is still going to be an unkown really going to fix it? Probably not. I think the Bears could just use thier 5th or 6th round pick on some DT(Jay Alford or Derek Landi) who should be good enough to provide decent depth.

There is always going to be some uncertainty, but not everything turns out to be the worst possible scenario.

However, I still think its very possible that they do take a DT in the first three rounds, but the right player would have to fall to them.

evershot
03-16-2007, 08:01 PM
I wouldn't be surpise if Angelo makes a move for Amboi Okoye if he falls past Buffalo. He puts a premium on DT. He has stated before that he believes on building a team from the inside out. I also think he might want insurance for Tank (illegal troubles) and Harris (injury).

Hurricane Ditka
03-20-2007, 08:23 PM
I think since it looks like Ian Scott isn't gonna get the money he wanted to get on the open market he'll be resigning with the Bears. I've heard the Bears are gonna make him an offer, and if he were smart he'd take it. So chances are Shrek will return. Now heres the silly thing about drafting a guy early, and sighting Dvorachek's inexperience he has, he'll be ahead of any rookie we bring in because he's been around the team and in the system for a year.

bearsfan_51
03-20-2007, 11:14 PM
I think since it looks like Ian Scott isn't gonna get the money he wanted to get on the open market he'll be resigning with the Bears. I've heard the Bears are gonna make him an offer, and if he were smart he'd take it. So chances are Shrek will return. Now heres the silly thing about drafting a guy early, and sighting Dvorachek's inexperience he has, he'll be ahead of any rookie we bring in because he's been around the team and in the system for a year.

Woah...jumping to conclusions a bit much? If Scott were smart he'd sign with a team where he's not going to be a career backup quite frankly.

Boone got a multi-million dollar contract, I'm sure Scott can too.

Unless you actually have a source that says Scott is leaning towards coming back I'm gonna have to say BS.

Hurricane Ditka
03-21-2007, 06:39 AM
Woah...jumping to conclusions a bit much? If Scott were smart he'd sign with a team where he's not going to be a career backup quite frankly.

Boone got a multi-million dollar contract, I'm sure Scott can too.

Unless you actually have a source that says Scott is leaning towards coming back I'm gonna have to say BS. My point is, Free Agency's been going on the better part of a month, and he hasn't gotten the deal he expected. Probably because he wants starter money, and the rest of the league sees him as a backup player.

IBleedNavyandOrange
03-21-2007, 08:05 AM
I dunno... as the draft gets closer and teams jockey for picks, Scott might look better and better as a known quantity. He's got little chance of being a starter in Chicago, but a lot of other teams will give him a shot at starting, and starting money. He's a smart guy... I put his odds of staying with the Bears at about 30-70 (against). There's gonna be an opportunity somewhere, especially with all the new coatches out there looking to put their own stamp on their defense.