PDA

View Full Version : Donald Butler - LB - Washington

toddmlazarchick
04-06-2010, 01:59 PM
What do you guys think about him as an OLB in a hybrid 3-4/4-3 that Washington plans to run. I know he is speedy and very athletic. Does he have the skills to rush as a 3-4 OLB and play 4-3 OLB as well? Also do you think he will be around in the 4th? Is that too much of a stretch?

Babylon
04-06-2010, 02:24 PM
What do you guys think about him as an OLB in a hybrid 3-4/4-3 that Washington plans to run. I know he is speedy and very athletic. Does he have the skills to rush as a 3-4 OLB and play 4-3 OLB as well? Also do you think he will be around in the 4th? Is that too much of a stretch?

Played inside at the UW and never really showed much in terms of getting to the QB. The thing that frustrated me about Butler and the whole Husky defense was their ability to tackle and read plays. What you get in Butler is a tough guy with good athletic ability and a ton of heart, needs work on playing the position.

DiG
04-06-2010, 02:35 PM
I'd rather Daniel Teo-Nesheim from Washington to play outside. I like Butler as well but I think hes more suited inside in a 3-4 (similarly to McIntosh). I think DTN is going to be a beast in the right system. He really seems like he could excel in a 3-4 with the right coaching.

http://www.huskyherald.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/12/Teo.jpg

princefielder28
04-06-2010, 02:40 PM
Butler's best fit is either inside or weakside in a 43. He doesn't really belong in a 3-4 at all because he struggles to take on blockers and he doesn't have the pass rushing repertoire to play outside in the 3-4 either.

I feel he's going to be a stud at the next level (I have him as my #2 ILB) and I think late 2nd to the mid 3rd round is where we'll see him go.

toddmlazarchick
04-06-2010, 02:45 PM
I'd rather Daniel Teo-Nesheim from Washington to play outside. I like Butler as well but I think hes more suited inside in a 3-4 (similarly to McIntosh). I think DTN is going to be a beast in the right system. He really seems like he could excel in a 3-4 with the right coaching.

http://www.huskyherald.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/12/Teo.jpg

what round is he slated in? ill need to research him more.

Edit: i just looked at some film of him and i really like what I see. do you think he is fit for OLB in a 3-4 he looks kind of big for that role no?

Babylon
04-06-2010, 04:20 PM
Daniel is more of a 4-3 DE. I sort of have to laugh at how some of the Husky defenders are getting talked up on what was one of the more pathetic groups in D-1 football.

DiG
04-06-2010, 04:26 PM
I think DTN would be a good fit outside in a 3-4 given his size/speed/athleticism combo. hes pretty much the exact same size as orakpo.

and babylon no one will argue how terrible washingtons defense was as a whole but butler and dtn do look like pretty decent prospects in their own right. the rest of that defense is another story.

Babylon
04-06-2010, 05:09 PM
I think DTN would be a good fit outside in a 3-4 given his size/speed/athleticism combo. hes pretty much the exact same size as orakpo.

and babylon no one will argue how terrible washingtons defense was as a whole but butler and dtn do look like pretty decent prospects in their own right. the rest of that defense is another story.

Both guys showed well at the combine which makes me think maybe they were not utilized to the best of their abilities. I think as a whole they're projected a little too high.

M.O.T.H.
04-06-2010, 05:49 PM
Several 3-4 teams are looking at him to play inside.

jCut
04-06-2010, 06:21 PM
If Denver passes on McClain, I would love to get Butler in the 2nd.

YAYareaRB
04-06-2010, 08:52 PM
You guys will just have to wait next year for my bro Mason Foster

http://davesizer.com/blogs/wp-content/uploads/2009/10/MG_3511.jpg

He's a beast

thetedginnshow
04-06-2010, 10:46 PM
Daniel is more of a 4-3 DE. I sort of have to laugh at how some of the Husky defenders are getting talked up on what was one of the more pathetic groups in D-1 football.

I don't think it's fair to say that just because the defensive unit did poorly that every single defender was bad. I feel like if you watched enough of their games you'd see how good Butler was (more so when he was on the outside than the inside IMO).

Cicero
04-06-2010, 11:00 PM
You guys will just have to wait next year for my bro Mason Foster

http://davesizer.com/blogs/wp-content/uploads/2009/10/MG_3511.jpg

He's a beast

He speaks the truth!

Babylon
04-07-2010, 11:09 AM
He speaks the truth!

He's going to be a good one.