PDA

View Full Version : Why Does Everyone Think Teams Are Trying to Trade Up?

niel89
04-06-2010, 05:15 PM
I keep seeing teams that are stockpiling draft picks like the Eagles and Patriots and instantly people are saying that they are getting ammo for trading up. I feel like these teams are trying to do the opposite. I think teams are just trying to get as many picks as they can in a draft that is loaded with talent.

Anyone else agree?

Babylon
04-06-2010, 05:22 PM
I keep seeing teams that are stockpiling draft picks like the Eagles and Patriots and instantly people are saying that they are getting ammo for trading up. I feel like these teams are trying to do the opposite. I think teams are just trying to get as many picks as they can in a draft that is loaded with talent.

Anyone else agree?

They're all trying to trade up for Toby Gerhart (just kidding, sort of). For financial reasons i think teams stay away from trading up too high but we may see some serious wheeling and dealing this year starting late 1st and into the middle rounds.

contento
04-06-2010, 05:28 PM
Regarding the Eagles, they've only got so many roster spots, and most of them are already filled with good players. That's why I see them going for "quality over quantity" and moving up for some of the drafts more elite prospects.

The Pats seemingly have a lot more holes to fill, I'd say there's only a handful of starters on that team that are truly safe. and with Belicheats batting average on picks over the past 5 years he needs as many as he can get...I think he'll keep the multitude of picks he's got.

superfly69
04-06-2010, 05:28 PM
I agree that teams are really just trying to stock pile picks. Especially teams like the Eagles, Browns and Patriots who have traded away or released countless aging veterans over the last year or in the Eagles case, over the last month. It wouldn't shock me if one of those teams with multiple picks in round 2 moved up if a player they are very high on begins to fall, i.e. Dez Bryant or Rolando McClain. But I think most teams will be very content to keep the picks they have especially in the first two rounds.

Matthew Jones
04-06-2010, 05:32 PM
I think New England is a possibility to trade up. They don't have to, but I think if it got around the time of their first round pick (#22) and both Kindle and Odrick were on the board, it would be nice if they trade a couple of their seconds for a first-rounder so that they could grab both of those guys. They'd still have a second-round pick left over to spend on a tight end or something of that nature.

PoopSandwich
04-06-2010, 05:39 PM

Anyone else agree?

IDK I think if I were a team like the Browns and Berry is gone and I feel more comfortable moving back I would take the Eagles 24th pick and two second rounders and feel comfortable with it.

I do think a team like the Eagles is stock piling picks but if they can move up and there's a player that they are extremely high on then I can see the trigger being pulled for a trade like that.

wogitalia
04-06-2010, 08:03 PM
A lot of it is wishful thinking from the fans that have the really high picks. The top 10 is borderline uneconomical, especially this year. When the top talent is at positions like DT, S and LB it makes everyone with top 10 picks want to trade down and draft a player of similar or even perhaps better talent levels and pay them a fraction of the price.

I think if you asked anyone picking in the top 10 if they would rather pick 1 or pick 15 and 30 they would take 15 and 30, I know I would. This changes if you have a truly special OT or QB at the top of the draft but this year they just aren't there.

I just look at the draft and the idea of drafting say Spiller and Pouncey just sounds better to me than getting Bradford alone, and you can pick 2 guys in the 15-20 and 25-30 range against pretty much anyone in the top 10. Would you rather Earl Thomas and Iupatti or Eric Berry? I mean you are going to pay Berry as much as the two of them combined.

It's the number one reason a rookie draft scale is needed.

Splat
04-06-2010, 08:10 PM
This year the second round (On Paper) is going to be a gold mind if any thing teams should be trying to trade down.

FlyingElvis
04-06-2010, 08:31 PM
The only team that it really makes sense for is Philly. They have an astounding 7 picks through 4 rounds. They could easily move up into the 15-20 range to grab a guy they really like and still have 5 picks through 4 rounds in an incredibly deep draft. As mentioned, they just won't have roster space for 11 (I think?) new players from this draft.

Otherwise, teams won't bother. There's too much talent through 5 rounds this year to give up picks to target one guy.

BaLLiN
04-06-2010, 09:04 PM
This year the second round (On Paper) is going to be a gold mind if any thing teams should be trying to trade down.

Bingo, thats exactly how i feel, but if a team wants a specific guy and they have the fire power to get him, then why not?

zachsaints52
04-06-2010, 09:13 PM
I haven't heard of any teams trying to trade up at all.

ThePudge
04-06-2010, 10:05 PM
The Eagles have been very aggressive in the past and have worked out top prospects such as Eric Berry & Earl Thomas at their facility. I would consider them the most likely team to make a trade up on draft day.

BuddyCHRIST
04-06-2010, 10:42 PM
I think its more like others said, where you have ammo to trade into the late first or something if a guy you really like falls. I agree that I really don't think any teams are getting picks to trade into the top 10.

yourfavestoner
04-07-2010, 11:02 AM

TBH, you never really do.

There will be at least one major trade into the top ten...it happens every single year. Teams will fall in love with certain players and will move accordingly. More than ever, the draft is about value instead of drafting strictly for needs or strictly for BPA and to do that you have to try to match up your needs with the proper draft slot. So I actually think we'll see a ton of wheeling and dealing this year, especially at the end of the first round.

04-07-2010, 11:12 AM

I heard one where the Giants were interested in moving up into the top 10 to draft Spiller. Maybe with Oakland? We could get better value with an offensive tackle like Campbell or Davis, or maybe we go with one of Graham, Pouncey, or Weatherspoon.

LizardState
04-07-2010, 11:17 AM
B/C some teams trade up, down or sideways on draft day just for the pure-dee hell of it?

**Cough, cough** Jerry Jones **cough, cough**

Seriously though, the recent trend of stockpiling picks has become a NE Patriots tradition lately, Bellichick sets himself up for the next draft by trading for next yr's picks, & not a lot of HCs or GMs are willing to gamble on the future like that.

BaLLiN
04-07-2010, 11:23 AM
remember when the jags traded up out of nowhere to nab Derrick Harvey? Thats what comes to mind when trades up are mentioned, was ridiculous. The jags were being praised nonstop

yourfavestoner
04-07-2010, 11:30 AM
I said in the Bold Predictions thread that I think Green Bay is a team that will probably trade up.

Ted Thompson is a BPA guy all the way, and their team is pretty much set except for youth and depth at OT and CB. I can see them trying to trade up and trying to match value with need in order to select one of the top tackles or corners, since they'll be on the outside looking for those positions at pick 23.

AntoinCD
04-07-2010, 11:38 AM
I could see the Jets trying to trade up to the mid 1st possibly this year if Kindle or Dez Bryant etc are still available. They dont have a lot of picks but they are really one one or two players away from being strong superbowl contenders. They can run the ball, have a great o-line and a young signal caller. A weapon lke Bryant could really give that offense explosion. On defense they are great at stopping the run and have the premier cover guy in the league and Cromartie who is very talented. Upgading the pass rush with Kindle could really help there.

Apart from them and the Eagles I dont see many teams trying to trade up in a draft class which is extremely good and extremely deep. Even 4th and 5th round picks have great value this year.

An example of how good this year's class is, some scouts and 'experts' have said BJ Raji would be the 4th or 5th DT taken this year. He went top 10 last year.

Teams will see a talent like Jahvid Best, Terrence Cody, Arrelious Benn etc in the second and be glad they didnt trade those precious picks this year

KLAUS
04-08-2010, 01:46 PM

Anyone else agree?

they are attempting to trade up or trade for selections in 2011.

i remember back in 2007, when i was working for -------, we had too many selections. at one point the debate was between antwan applewhite, david irons, tyrone moss, travarous bain and a bunch of other proles you havent even heard of - the boss-man ended up selecting someone who didnt even make the final 53 - and even only applewhite is still around - there is not enough talent, 10 selections is almost too much in this age.