PDA

View Full Version : McCown

Maybe Next Year Millen2
03-15-2007, 06:47 PM
I heard on Sirius radio driving home today in an interview with Josh McCown, that McCown wants to be traded. I think if we take a quarterback day 1 of the draft, we will trade McCown.

Trading McCown saves us about 1 million in cap space.

McCown said he knows he doesn't have a chance at being the starter next year and wants a chance to be a starter, so he wants a trade.

What do you think we could get for him?

WMD
03-15-2007, 07:03 PM
Probably a 6th Rounder.

Scotty D
03-15-2007, 07:03 PM
5th-7th rounder. Nice to get a conditional pick to raise it if he starts.

Xiomera
03-15-2007, 08:50 PM
Let's get another 5th rounder . . . what the heck, lol

I am all for it as it will open a roster spot for Drew Stanton.

LionSmack
03-15-2007, 08:57 PM
Kitna could get injured at any time. If that happens, I would rather have McCown 10x over any rookie, even Quinn or Russell. It's a tough offense and he has a year in it. Plus he's an intriguing player with plus athleticism. He could actually turn out to be better than Kitna, the #1 reason Kitna starts is his leadership and chemistry.

TacticaLion
03-15-2007, 09:23 PM
Kitna could get injured at any time. If that happens, I would rather have McCown 10x over any rookie, even Quinn or Russell. It's a tough offense and he has a year in it. Plus he's an intriguing player with plus athleticism. He could actually turn out to be better than Kitna, the #1 reason Kitna starts is his leadership and chemistry.I strongly disagree with this.

Kitna has shown that, with a horrible OLine and a struggling running game, he can throw the ball and make plays. He threw for 4,000+ yards last year (and was sacked the MOST in the NFL). With an improved OLine, a speedy wideout addition (McDonald), Bell/Duckett to improve the running game (in KJones' absence) and another year in the system, I expect this offense to be great this year. And... I don't think it would be under McCown.

To address the second issue, if Kitna were to go down, i'd rather put Stanton in over McCown. Why play McCown when Stanton is the future of the franchise? Let him get into the game and get some experience. We know he has the physical tools, and, depending when Kitna was injured, he'd have some experience in the system. Put him in and focus on running the ball. Let him get a feel for it.

I dunno... just how I feel about it.

P-L
03-15-2007, 09:30 PM
Let's not crown Stanton as the future of the Lions more than month before the draft. Sure the Lions have expressed interest in him, but we don't know for sure how much they really have. Teams smokescreen a lot around this time of the year. The Lions could be looking hard at Quinn or Russell and using Stanton to trick teams into thinking they aren't interested. Or like Martz has said, they may not be interested in a quarterback at all.

TacticaLion
03-15-2007, 09:34 PM
Let's not crown Stanton as the future of the Lions more than month before the draft. Sure the Lions have expressed interest in him, but we don't know for sure how much they really have. Teams smokescreen a lot around this time of the year. The Lions could be looking hard at Quinn or Russell and using Stanton to trick teams into thinking they aren't interested. Or like Martz has said, they may not be interested in a quarterback at all.I, honestly, don't think they want either Quinn or Russell. I think that, if they take a QB, it'll be Stanton.

Regardless, plug any of those 3 names into my post and you'll get what i'm saying.

(Side note: the Lions aren't saying "Hey... we'll take Quinn unless you trade with us!"... they're saying "Hey... we can GIVE you Quinn, because we think Cleveland wants him... SO, if you want him, you've gotta trade with us!". To me, there's a big difference.)

Aard
03-15-2007, 10:41 PM
I'm imagining Dan Orlovsky reading this thread and wondering why no one has mentioned his name.

:)

TacticaLion
03-15-2007, 10:47 PM
I'm imagining Dan Orlovsky reading this thread and wondering why no one has mentioned his name.

:)Gawddamnit! I was about to put "And, if Stanton struggles in the first few games, we'll bring him back out and let DanO finish the season off. He's got a season under his belt and is a young and hungry player".

Honestly. I was gonna add that to one of the posts... but decided not to, figuring SOMEONE would say "PULLING HIM WOULD BE BAD FOR HIS CONFIDENCE!" or something.

Whatever.

Sorry, DanO. I want you as the future, man! (No jokes...)

Addict
03-16-2007, 05:40 AM
Or like Martz has said, they may not be interested in a quarterback at all.

And yet they both (martz and marinelli) were present at drew's pro day. That's kinda weird isn't it?

TacticaLion
03-16-2007, 06:13 AM
And yet they both (martz and marinelli) were present at drew's pro day. That's kinda weird isn't it?They'd take Stanton in the 2nd round. If they feel they've addressed the other needs, they'll take him.

It would make for a great QB competition between Stanton and DanO.

Addict
03-16-2007, 06:32 AM
They'd take Stanton in the 2nd round. If they feel they've addressed the other needs, they'll take him.

It would make for a great QB competition between Stanton and DanO.

HA! Stanton would flambate DanO's ass with grand marinier and serve it to the coaches for lunch.

WMD
03-16-2007, 06:35 AM
Or like Martz has said, they may not be interested in a quarterback at all.

And yet they both (martz and marinelli) were present at drew's pro day. That's kinda weird isn't it?

Who cares what Pro Day they went to? You have to show some kind of interest, if it's real or fake.. In Round 2, if another team wants Drew Stanton, and they're afraid that the Lions will take him.. They'll need to trade and give the Lions more picks, unless they trade ahead of the Lions.

TacticaLion
03-16-2007, 06:39 AM
Who cares what Pro Day they went to? You have to show some kind of interest, if it's real or fake.. In Round 2, if another team wants Drew Stanton, and they're afraid that the Lions will take him.. They'll need to trade and give the Lions more picks, unless they trade ahead of the Lions.Hehe... a team trading into the 1st round to draft Stanton... tha'd be funnnnny.

Addict
03-16-2007, 06:42 AM
Hehe... a team trading into the 1st round to draft Stanton... tha'd be funnnnny.

That would probably result in me laughing so hard for so long that I'd miss the rest of the draft AND the entire preseason coverage.