PDA

View Full Version : Scott's Mock

nvot9
03-15-2007, 06:58 PM
If that happened, I would DIE. PERFECT draft imo. Literally PERFECT.

Thoughts? Likeliness it will actually happen?

derza222
03-15-2007, 07:45 PM
Not a perfect draft really because we still don't have a right tackle after that draft. Moses is a nice pick but not really a need pick. Other than that the picks are all very good. I'd be very happy if it happened and but can tell you there is a .00001% chance it does happen, and it is not perfect. Great, awesome, very good, but not perfect.

jetsfan3
03-15-2007, 07:47 PM
Revis-Top 15 pick
Moses-First round pick
Alma-Francis-Taken where he should go
Ramirez-Late 2nd-Early 3rd

AMAZING DRAFT. One of the best I've ever seen.

Young Nasty Man
03-15-2007, 07:49 PM
it really is a good draft, im not a fan of taking a corner in the first inless the talent is really unbelievable, but besides Revis, everything is perfect...

can somone give me some info on Revis...

Zim3031
03-15-2007, 07:53 PM
I like Revis a lot, but we don't need a corner in the first round at all. The other picks are nice I guess, but the first one seems very unlikely based on Mangini's past.

Scorch
03-15-2007, 08:25 PM
amazing...

vilma
03-15-2007, 08:30 PM
Id perfer to trade the 25th pick and get a corner in the middle of rd 2 plus pick up an extra 1st or 2nd for next yr to save chips to get the NT from Boston College in next yrs draft (forgot his name, but hes supposed to be the next great nose tackle. Hes 6-1 337 and can hold his ground very well). Moses is a nice pick but id take Jason Hill there and then take Moses ahead of Alama-Francis who i feel will b better in a 43 and we did just sign coleman to a big contract. I also feel that Justin Hickman from UCLA will be the steal of the draft in the late rounds as a pass-rushing OLB in a 34 so i wouldnt mind passing on Moses at the end of rd 2, I just dont know what other position we would pick there. As far as round 3 id take Doug Free over Manuel Ramirez because RT is more of a need. Id even try to trade down to early rd 4 to get him.

BroadwayJoe10
03-15-2007, 09:17 PM
I like Revis a lot, but we don't need a corner in the first round at all. The other picks are nice I guess, but the first one seems very unlikely based on Mangini's past.

not to sound like im bein a dick or anything but he has only been the head coach for one draft, so its hard to what hed do based on his limited past....the only thing we can say is that he drafts based on what he feels is going to benefit the jets the most..and if drafting a corner, be it Darell revis, in the first round will help our team the most than thats who we'll draft, same thing goes for blaylock or trading down

Young Nasty Man
03-15-2007, 09:22 PM
Id perfer to trade the 25th pick and get a corner in the middle of rd 2 plus pick up an extra 1st or 2nd for next yr to save chips to get the NT from Boston College in next yrs draft (forgot his name, but hes supposed to be the next great nose tackle. Hes 6-1 337 and can hold his ground very well). Moses is a nice pick but id take Jason Hill there and then take Moses ahead of Alama-Francis who i feel will b better in a 43 and we did just sign coleman to a big contract. I also feel that Justin Hickman from UCLA will be the steal of the draft in the late rounds as a pass-rushing OLB in a 34 so i wouldnt mind passing on Moses at the end of rd 2, I just dont know what other position we would pick there. As far as round 3 id take Doug Free over Manuel Ramirez because RT is more of a need. Id even try to trade down to early rd 4 to get him.

who is this NT from BC??? All i've ben hearing is this guy is a tank...

Also I dont knwo if its worth trading out of round 1 inelss your getting something really good out of it...

Zim3031
03-15-2007, 09:22 PM
not to sound like im bein a dick or anything but he has only been the head coach for one draft, so its hard to what hed do based on his limited past....the only thing we can say is that he drafts based on what he feels is going to benefit the jets the most..and if drafting a corner, be it Darell revis, in the first round will help our team the most than thats who we'll draft, same thing goes for blaylock or trading down

I was pointing towards Mangini's successes in New England with morphing unknown journeymen into capable starting corners. Now when you have a system and coaching staff capable of making mediocre players at a certain position starting caliber, does it make sense to spend first round picks on such a position?

El$anDollah
03-15-2007, 10:16 PM
The guy from you people are talking about from BC is B.J Raiji

BroadwayJoe10
03-15-2007, 10:20 PM
I was pointing towards Mangini's successes in New England with morphing unknown journeymen into capable starting corners. Now when you have a system and coaching staff capable of making mediocre players at a certain position starting caliber, does it make sense to spend first round picks on such a position?

yes i think it does, especially if mangini feels he can make this starting caliber corner into one of the elite starting corners...i mean mangini never drafted the cornerbacks, he was dealt with what he had and then turned them into the people we saw play...that being said i def agree with u in the fact that he can get the best out of any DB and if he feels theres a better pick in round 1 then he'll take it, but if he feels that darell revis will most benefit the team than who the hell am i to argue with him

BroadwayJoe10
03-15-2007, 10:53 PM
another thing i wanted to point out that i found pretty informative was how the jets havn't focused on a cornerback at all in free agency cept for the rumors that we were interested in nick harper and resigning hank poteat....i have a feeling it is because they are looking to get a corner in the draft...whether thats in the first round or not will be seen

vilma
03-15-2007, 11:01 PM
The guy from you people are talking about from BC is B.J Raiji
yea thats his name. Hes 6-1 337 right now (which mean by the time the '08 draft rolls around, he will b around 350). He can be that one player who makes the rest of the defense go.

Non_Sequitur
03-15-2007, 11:02 PM
who is this NT from BC??? All i've ben hearing is this guy is a tank...

Also I dont knwo if its worth trading out of round 1 inelss your getting something really good out of it...

If we trade with the Bucs we have even value of 720 points to get both their 2nd rounders. 4 2nd rounders would allow us to get a guy like Ugoh early in the round to fill our RT need, and then we could go CB-DE-OLB in the late 2nd round, then RG in the 3rd. Fill all our needs.

derza222
03-16-2007, 09:14 AM

Thats actually a really interesting idea, I hadn't thought of trading out of the first to pick up a first round pick next year. If we could pick up a first next year and a second or third maybe this year we could pick up some linemen day one and still have a very solid draft, considering the people that are available at 25 may not be a great fit.

Zim3031
03-16-2007, 12:01 PM
another thing i wanted to point out that i found pretty informative was how the jets havn't focused on a cornerback at all in free agency cept for the rumors that we were interested in nick harper and resigning hank poteat....i have a feeling it is because they are looking to get a corner in the draft...whether thats in the first round or not will be seen

Hank Poteat is a beast.

BroadwayJoe10
03-16-2007, 01:24 PM
Revis ran a 4.38 at his pro-day...does this change anyones mind about not taking a corner in the first round or does his stock stay relatively the same?

derza222
03-16-2007, 02:02 PM
Well it will probably be adjusted to the mid 4.4 range because he ran it at a Pro-Day track and not the Combine, but it's still a very solid time. Not sure if it moves him out of our range or not, I'd certainly consider him or Houston at 25 but I don't want to reach for anyone. As long as the pick isn't a reach and fills a need to an extent I'm fine with it.

Non_Sequitur
03-16-2007, 03:34 PM
Revis ran a 4.38 at his pro-day...does this change anyones mind about not taking a corner in the first round or does his stock stay relatively the same?

I could care less about a CB's 40 time as long as it's not in the mid 4.5's or higher.

For a CB the two things that matter (most) are the 10 yard and the Short Shuttle.

Jonathan_VIlma
03-16-2007, 03:36 PM
Give us Tony Ugoh or Blalock in the first and it's perfect.

BroadwayJoe10
03-16-2007, 04:03 PM
who puts more stock into 40 yard times..actual nfl front offices or fans and mock drafters? ...it just seems that one tenth of a second faster doesnt all of a sudden make someone an elite talent from a great talent

derza222
03-16-2007, 04:28 PM
Forty times don't matter in some cases and do matter in others. If coaches aren't sure whether or not a player will have the speed to get seperation or stick with a guy or make plays in the league, there is some uncertainty there. It's just part of the equation and teams have to take it into account...

Non_Sequitur
03-16-2007, 04:34 PM
who puts more stock into 40 yard times..actual nfl front offices or fans and mock drafters? ...it just seems that one tenth of a second faster doesnt all of a sudden make someone an elite talent from a great talent

(For a RB)
10 Yard speed = how quick you get to the LB's.
20 Yard speed = how quick you get to the DB's.
40 Yard speed = ability to run away from defenders if you get past the DB's.
Short Shuttle = ability to gain speed after a move is made

(For a CB)
10 Yard speed = How quickly you can match up with a WR step for step
20 Yard speed = How well you can keep up with a WR once you are locked on
40 Yard speed = How well you can stay with a WR who is running a deep fly
Short Shuttle = How well you recover after a WR puts a move on you.

BroadwayJoe10
03-16-2007, 07:02 PM
alright good stuff...now whats the most important out of those for the dbs, i mean i know they are all important but for a CB what generally seperates an elite cb from a good one...would it be the short shuttle? cause it seems if ur 10 yard speed isnt good u can play a little deeper and just hope ur open field tackling is good but if u can't catch up to a player who puts a move on u then ur pretty much screwed??

Young Nasty Man
03-16-2007, 08:27 PM
the shuttle is more important IMO for the DB. The shuttle drills show how you are able to turn and move one-on-one with WR. It shows turning ability.
Not saying a 40 time is useles, but IMO, the 20 yard shuttle is more important for a DB.

Non_Sequitur
03-17-2007, 12:10 AM
alright good stuff...now whats the most important out of those for the dbs, i mean i know they are all important but for a CB what generally seperates an elite cb from a good one...would it be the short shuttle? cause it seems if ur 10 yard speed isnt good u can play a little deeper and just hope ur open field tackling is good but if u can't catch up to a player who puts a move on u then ur pretty much screwed??

IMO the Short Shuttle is most important, then the 10. I'd rather my guy be able to man up on a guy and lock him down on his routes than be able to stay step for step deep (when he should have safety help). But of course you want everything to be good.

BTW, here are Revis' numbers from his Pro Day:

40: 4.38
20: 2.49
10: 1.46

Compare this to Leon Hall, Hall has a better 10, but worse 20 & 40's. Meaning Leon is faster right out the gate than Revis is.

BroadwayJoe10
03-17-2007, 10:24 AM
quick question; i still like the first 3 picks scott has in his mock, but does anyone know what changed his mind from taking manny ramirez to taking mebane??? im not asking anyone to read his mind but if there was anything such as a pro-day that changed his mind (ie. manny did poorly or mebane did great). because it seems mebane will serve as more of a backup unless he develops into a NT, but he has trouble up against large blockers. I just figured manny would be great cuase he could come right in and challenge for the starting position

Crickett
03-17-2007, 12:28 PM
I'm not sure if Brandon Mebane, but one thing I am pretty sure of is that the Jets can't afford to go all defense all day one. Not with no starting RT and with the run blocking in the shape that it is in. :(

Remember, the Jets don't have a fourth round pick either.

Non_Sequitur
03-17-2007, 01:38 PM
I'm not sure if Brandon Mebane, but one thing I am pretty sure of is that the Jets can't afford to go all defense all day one. Not with no starting RT and with the run blocking in the shape that it is in. :(

Remember, the Jets don't have a fourth round pick either.

Good point on the 4th round pick.

We NEET a RT and CB. While it's not optimal, we can survive without a new NT, DE, OLB, nor RG (Moore is still a decent pass blocker at least). Ideally we would get a RT & RG, but I doubt that will happen.

shavedaeyebrow2
03-17-2007, 02:55 PM
I absolutely loved it and couldn't be happier!

derza222
03-17-2007, 05:24 PM
I was definitely disappointed with no offensive line picks on day 1. We need to take at least one offensive lineman day 1, especially because as Crickett pointed out we do not have any fourth round pick. I don't think we can afford to not take an OL on day 1, especially with 4 chances to do so. Plus I think each of the players we took there are more want picks than need picks. A CB (we play mostly zone and a man guy is not as important), pass rusher (we got by last year, we can do it again this year), a DE and a DT (rotation guys would be nice) are all nice picks, but as of right now we don't have a starting right tackle!

jetsfan3
03-17-2007, 06:47 PM
New mock isn't as good, I'd rather have Ramirez than Mebane.

Non_Sequitur
03-18-2007, 04:34 AM
I was definitely disappointed with no offensive line picks on day 1. We need to take at least one offensive lineman day 1, especially because as Crickett pointed out we do not have any fourth round pick. I don't think we can afford to not take an OL on day 1, especially with 4 chances to do so. Plus I think each of the players we took there are more want picks than need picks. A CB (we play mostly zone and a man guy is not as important), pass rusher (we got by last year, we can do it again this year), a DE and a DT (rotation guys would be nice) are all nice picks, but as of right now we don't have a starting right tackle!

Bingo!!!!!

hcbrad08
03-18-2007, 09:55 PM
Revis is a great CB and
if we had to say what are needs are...
we would say (in no particular order)
pressing: CB, RT, DE
intermediate: DT, OLB,WR, TE, RB of the future (maybe S depth for some)
if you look at our pressing needs (in no order)
the best value at 25 would be a CB
-Blalock for RT may be more pressing but Revis at his position is a better value at 25 and is easily on all the rankings as better at his position than Blalock at RT (meaning there is more depth at OT and we can draft it and CB better if we take a CB first and a RT later)

Crickett
03-18-2007, 10:16 PM
Revis is a great CB and
-Blalock for RT may be more pressing but Revis at his position is a better value at 25 and is easily on all the rankings as better at his position than Blalock at RT (meaning there is more depth at OT and we can draft it and CB better if we take a CB first and a RT later)

I'd say a run block guard is a need too. Not just because the Jets have trouble run blocking but also because Pete Kendall is 34 and probably doesn't have much left in the tank.

BroadwayJoe10
03-18-2007, 10:46 PM
Revis is a great CB and

gotta agree again with you again..with our pick at 25 its kinda like an altered BPA; its a best player available that fills our need, so we need CB RT DE if revis is available i still say we take him..i also would rather have blalock as our RG and hopefully Wade smith can get his act together (which more than likely means we'll be looking for RT in next years free agency or draft)