PDA

View Full Version : According to 97.1 Lions might be interested in Haynesworth

LOLitsTomBrady
04-07-2010, 03:44 PM
He doesnt fit Washingtons 3-4 and apparently wants a trade. Coaching staff wants him out, enter Lions. We dont know what Washington wants for him but imagine if we got him for cheap, maybe a 2nd rounder this year and a 2nd next year. And we still draft Suh, our defensive line would look like this:

Vanden Bosch, Suh, Haynesworth, Williams, Avril, Hill

that is beastly

Crickett
04-07-2010, 03:55 PM
He doesnt fit Washingtons 3-4 and apparently wants a trade. Coaching staff wants him out, enter Lions. We dont know what Washington wants for him but imagine if we got him for cheap, maybe a 2nd rounder this year and a 2nd next year. And we still draft Suh, our defensive line would look like this:

Vanden Bosch, Suh, Haynesworth, Williams, Avril, Hill

that is beastly

If the Lions traded for Haynesworth, I would think they would begin strongly considering going in another direction at #2. Possibly swapping picks with the Redskins as part of (but not all of) the trade and drafting someone like Eric Berry.

But then again, given that the Lions are drafting #2 and have Suh and McCoy to choose from, I'm guessing this is just radio hearsay.

jrdrylie
04-07-2010, 03:57 PM
The Lions shouldn't draft Suh anyways, so why would they draft him if they traded for Haynesworth?

Their number one priority has to be protecting Matt Stafford. Trading for Haynesworth would be great because it would allow them to draft Okung (or whichever OT they like the most) without getting criticized for passing on a supposedly one in a decade prospect.

Crickett
04-07-2010, 04:01 PM
The Lions shouldn't draft Suh anyways, so why would they draft him if they traded for Haynesworth?

Their number one priority has to be protecting Matt Stafford. Trading for Haynesworth would be great because it would allow them to draft Okung (or whichever OT they like the most) without getting criticized for passing on a supposedly one in a decade prospect.

Because after all of this time, the Detroit Lions still haven't figured out that Jeff Backus sucks.

Prowler
04-07-2010, 04:25 PM
i'm willing to give up on haynesworth. i don't think that he'd be good for our chemistry. i'd almost pray for an injury just so that there would be enough playing time to go around for everybody.

MidwayMonster31
04-07-2010, 04:25 PM
That deal makes a ton of sense for the Lions.
Corey Williams and Haynesworth will be able to play well in Jim Schwartz's scheme. The Lions got Williams at a very good price, because he couldn't play in a 3-4, but he was a pro bowler with the Packers. Haynesworth will make things easier for Williams and Vanden Bosch.
Trading for Haynesworth would also save the Lions money. If they draft Suh at #2, they would be paying their defensive line close to $100 million, depending on Suh's gigantic contract at 2. Haynesworth only has $16.2 million left on a 3 year deal. That contract was front loaded.
They need Okung a lot more, because now they have to go against Julius Peppers, Jared Allen and Clay Matthews 6 times. Last year, I said that the only way that the Lions can screw up with Stafford is if they get him killed, which is exactly what happened last year. If they manage to trade a second rounder, or two, for Haynesworth and draft Okung, that would be a better decision, IMO.

DrunkenLament
04-07-2010, 04:59 PM
http://detnews.com/article/20100407/SPORTS0101/4070426/1126/sports0101/Lions-might-be-interested-in-unhappy-Haynesworth

is the source of the "trade talks" on 97.1 today.

Prowler
04-07-2010, 05:08 PM
seeing that contract info definitely makes me more interested than what i was. $16 M over 3 years isn't bad at all. 6 years/$65M/$36M guaranteed is probably what we'll end up shelling out for the #2 pick. it would probably take a 2nd rounder this year and a 2nd next year to get it done though.

detroit4life
04-07-2010, 05:11 PM
problem is mayhew wants to build this team thru the draft not continuosly pick up veterans. we have already done a lot of that and albert could be one to many

Addict
04-07-2010, 05:14 PM

bla bla. Never settle for an ugly chick if you have shot at a hot one.

I want Suh. Okung is too unremarkable a top OT for me.

detroit4life
04-07-2010, 05:20 PM
i agree with addict. We just got a very good LG and hopefully with the interior of our line finally solid our tackles can play to the degree that they are suppose to be capable of.

If you wanta protect Stafford build a defense so we dont fall behind early every game, which allows pass rushers to pin the ears back go go for QB rather than worrying about a run.

WMD
04-07-2010, 05:22 PM
Ehh.. I'll pass. Let's just go with Suh and hold on to the other picks.

Prowler
04-07-2010, 05:27 PM
my problem with haynesworth is that he's telling the coaching staff what to do.

Silver & Blue
04-07-2010, 05:34 PM
I would personally rather just take Suh because of his youth and he will probably have more desire to play well than Haynesworth does.

Addict
04-07-2010, 05:41 PM
I would personally rather just take Suh because of his youth and he will probably have more desire to play well than Haynesworth does.

I don't mind trading for Haynesworth, but it's no reason not to take Suh or McCoy.

Okung is not an elite prospect at OT guys, I hate to keep mentioning this. We're better off drafting Suh/Saffold (just throwing a name out) than go Okung and some bum. Okung is the top guy in the OT class, but he's no Jake Long or Joe Thomas. He's not a spectacular prospect.

And yes, we need elite players in the worst way, especially on our D-line.

Silver & Blue
04-07-2010, 05:46 PM
I don't mind trading for Haynesworth, but it's no reason not to take Suh or McCoy.

Okung is not an elite prospect at OT guys, I hate to keep mentioning this. We're better off drafting Suh/Saffold (just throwing a name out) than go Okung and some bum. Okung is the top guy in the OT class, but he's no Jake Long or Joe Thomas. He's not a spectacular prospect.

I agree completely, I just don't want to end up stacking tons of money on the dline. I would love to see what a Suh/Haynesworth line would look like though.

frubulubu
04-07-2010, 05:52 PM
Its not going to happen, now, as you were.

Addict
04-07-2010, 05:54 PM
I agree completely, I just don't want to end up stacking tons of money on the dline. I would love to see what a Suh/Haynesworth line would look like though.

fair enough, although Haynesworth's contract isn't that big anymore. All the big roster bonusses that pushed his numbers through the roof have been paid by the skins.

Its not going to happen, now, as you were.

lol don't worry nobody's actually expecting it, we're just talkin'

Brothgar
04-07-2010, 05:55 PM
Lions interest will hinge on how much the redskins want in compensation dollars wise. (http://www.mlive.com/lions/index.ssf/2010/04/detroit_lions_interest_in_albe.html?utm_source=fee dburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+detroit-lions+(Detroit+Lions+-+MLive.com)&utm_content=Twitter)

Okung + Haynesworth >>>>>>>>>>>> Suh and anyone we are likely to get in the 2nd round at any position.

If we can pull off a trade for Haynesworth for a 2nd I'd be all for it if the Schwartz signs off on it. He is 28 so he is reaching his prime. If we wanted to win now or in the next 4 years it still makes sense. If it is a 2nd and 2011 2nd it would work as well IMO. But I think the Skins would ask for a swap of 1sts and a 2nd this year. Now I'm hesitant.

Silver & Blue
04-07-2010, 05:57 PM
fair enough, although Haynesworth's contract isn't that big anymore. All the big roster bonusses that pushed his numbers through the roof have been paid by the skins.

Well according to the mlive article it seems if Washington does end up trading him then the team that acquires him will have to pay some of the recent bonus he just got.

http://www.mlive.com/lions/index.ssf/2010/04/detroit_lions_interest_in_albe.html

EDIT: @broth223 You beat me to it.

LonghornsLegend
04-07-2010, 06:01 PM
Haynesworth as a NT and McCoy as a UT would be pretty sexy in a 4-3, add in Williams to keep the rotation fresh and I love the look of that. Haynesworth or not I'd still go Suh or McCoy at #2, guys are too good to pass up if you have the chance to get one.

LOLitsTomBrady
04-07-2010, 06:06 PM
Haynesworth as a NT and McCoy as a UT would be pretty sexy in a 4-3, add in Williams to keep the rotation fresh and I love the look of that. Haynesworth or not I'd still go Suh or McCoy at #2, guys are too good to pass up if you have the chance to get one.

Thats what im saying, therefore you have a defensive line that looks like this:

Avril...Suh...Haynesworth...Vanden Bosch

or on passing downs

Suh...Williams...Haynesworth..Avril

and if our main guys get tired

Hunter...Williams...Hill...Vanden Bosch

That would be an incredible rotation of talented players and there wouldnt be a team who could run the ball against us

Brothgar
04-07-2010, 06:13 PM

Seriously? How many DTs do you need? We have Williams who is not really a backup, Hill who is coming into his own. Haynesworth (assuming a trade) who was a pro bowler a year ago. Then you want to draft Suh/McCoy on top of that? Are you nuts?

Okung has 0 holes in his game and exactly who is this "Some bum" you always refer to? There isn't a position that is such an epic need for us that we HAVE to take a guy in round 2 assuming we go Okung in 1. Specially if we get Haynesworth. So I don't really get it.

Prowler
04-07-2010, 06:14 PM
lol, i laugh at the weak ass williams wall. only 2 DTs! we're going to have to run a 5-2 and hill would still be on the bench for rotation.

superman8456
04-07-2010, 06:25 PM
Honestly, if the Lions wanted to they could go Okung in the 1st and Brian Price in the 2nd.

P-L
04-07-2010, 09:20 PM

I totally agree. Okung is a very good player, but he's not a great player. He's the product of a weak offensive tackle class. I was not real high on Jason Smith last year, but I think Smith would still grade ahead of Okung this year. You don't draft a guy strictly based on need. That is why Matt Millen failed here.

There are plenty of ways of protecting your franchise quarterback that don't involve passing on an elite talent like Ndamukong Suh. Some have already been mentioned in this thread. First of all, you can upgrade other positions on the offensive line. We've done that already. Even if Rob Sims isn't a great run blocker, he's one of the better pass blocking guards in the league. Last season Jeff Backus was forced to overcompensate because of the turnstile we had at left guard, and still had a pretty good season. Playing next to a great pass blocker like Sims could elevate his already improved play. Secondly, you can improve the defense and running game. Improving the defense will limit the amount of points you give up, thus giving the offense more chances to establish the running game.

SINCE1978
04-08-2010, 07:30 AM
I totally agree. Okung is a very good player, but he's not a great player. He's the product of a weak offensive tackle class. I was not real high on Jason Smith last year, but I think Smith would still grade ahead of Okung this year. You don't draft a guy strictly based on need. That is why Matt Millen failed here.

There are plenty of ways of protecting your franchise quarterback that don't involve passing on an elite talent like Ndamukong Suh. Some have already been mentioned in this thread. First of all, you can upgrade other positions on the offensive line. We've done that already. Even if Rob Sims isn't a great run blocker, he's one of the better pass blocking guards in the league. Last season Jeff Backus was forced to overcompensate because of the turnstile we had at left guard, and still had a pretty good season. Playing next to a great pass blocker like Sims could elevate his already improved play. Secondly, you can improve the defense and running game. Improving the defense will limit the amount of points you give up, thus giving the offense more chances to establish the running game.

Your points are excellent on multiple ways to "protect" the franchise QB. In addition we get a healthy "run blocking beast" of a TE back in year 2 in BP.

The radio station mentioned that Jason Smith last year & Okung this year both come from a college spread offense & that does not always fit into an NFL style of play. Maybe it is nit picking but it is one more factoid to consider which GM's weigh on every pick ... especially when considering the $$ going into the #2 overall as it stands. A LT better known for his run blockng (Backus) & a LG better known for his pass blocking (Sims) on paper already improves the leftside.

In addition, I feel the LT's in this draft are interchangeable (Okung,Williams,Bulaga,Campbell,Davis) so the only way I see us NOT taking Suh @ #2 is if we trade back to the 6-10 range, get the LT & acquire additional pick(s). I still vote for Suh then a RB & CB, S as our needs in the draft.