PDA

View Full Version : **Official Boxing Thread**

Pages : [1] 2

Rob S
06-08-2006, 08:39 AM
Well, this is a very big weekend for boxing as there are two opposing PPV cards. One, Tarver-Hopkins, features two old fighters (Hopkins will retire after the fight), but is historically significant. The other, Cotto-Malignaggi, features one very young budding superstar(Cotto) taking on a very talented prospect in Malignaggi.

I would have to lean towards Tarver in the 1st fight, but it is close, really close. B-Hop could easily pull out the victory, because he will be laying it all on the line (I hope). Tarver is going to be way bigger though as he is naturally about 15 lbs. heavier, I think that gives him a big edge. While the fight is significant historically, style-wise it makes for a very boring fight and would be a strech to order for 50 bucks seeing as HBO will be replaying the fight next weekend.

I will be attending the Cotto fight and I am pretty amped about it. It is a fight that Cotto should win, but Malignaggi can frustrate people with his speed and slick boxing, Plus his trash talking can get under peoples skin. However, Malignaggi, by all accounts, cant punch for power. This will present a huge problem for him as Cotto should be able to walk him down and impose his will as the harder puncher and larger man. I think Cotto KO's him around round 8 or so.

If you want to buy a PPV this weekend I suggest you go with the cotto show. It is 15 bucks cheaper at $35 and features a 5 fight undercard, and the other fight will be replayed on HBO. It feature great prospects like John Duddy, Juan Manuel Lopez, and Julio Ceasar Chavez. Also, it has Tommy Zbikowski(sp?) fighting his debut. He is not a great prospect, but is getting attention, so it will be cool to see him.

Jughead10
06-08-2006, 08:42 AM
I have to go to a bar to watch Zbikowski fight. Apparently about 20 of his teammates from Notre Dame are walking him to the ring in their jerseys.

Rob S
06-08-2006, 08:47 AM
I have to go to a bar to watch Zbikowski fight. Apparently about 20 of his teammates from Notre Dame are walking him to the ring in their jerseys.

It should be cool. He is going to be in with a stiff though, no way in hell they let him lose. If you go to watch that make sure you stay for the other fights though, it is a pretty solid card, some future stars on there.

Jughead10
06-08-2006, 08:52 AM

It should be cool. He is going to be in with a stiff though, no way in hell they let him lose. If you go to watch that make sure you stay for the other fights though, it is a pretty solid card, some future stars on there.

I will be staying. Since both fights are on two different PPV stations, I have to go to this one bar to watch both. I've only seen Malignaggi fight once on ESPN but was pretty impressed, and he is the hometown kid fighting in MSG. Should be good.

rainbeaukid2
06-08-2006, 10:21 AM
i cant wait to see the Tarver-Hopkins fight.

RyanLeaf#1
06-08-2006, 10:25 AM
Is Zbikowskis fight going to be on tv?

RyanLeaf#1
06-08-2006, 10:29 AM
Nevermind undercard of Cotto I got it

Rob S
06-08-2006, 11:16 AM

I will be staying. Since both fights are on two different PPV stations, I have to go to this one bar to watch both. I've only seen Malignaggi fight once on ESPN but was pretty impressed, and he is the hometown kid fighting in MSG. Should be good.

Malignaggi is areally good boxer, but he seems to lack the power to back Cotto off. Cotto's game is to walk you down and throw bombs at a methodical pace. I cant see Paulie backing him up. And, suprisingly the garden will be behind Cotto. Paulie is a NY guy, but all of the Puerto Ricans will be out for the fight and will outnumber the Malignaggi fans.

Rob S
06-08-2006, 11:20 AM
i cant wait to see the Tarver-Hopkins fight.

Do you think it will be a good fight? I think it sets up to be a really boring match style wise. I will watch it on HBO next weekend b/c it will be free, but I will be at MSG sat. I think the only way you buy this fight is if you really value historical significance and want to see B-Hop's last fight live.

Jughead10
06-08-2006, 11:27 AM

Malignaggi is areally good boxer, but he seems to lack the power to back Cotto off. Cotto's game is to walk you down and throw bombs at a methodical pace. I cant see Paulie backing him up. And, suprisingly the garden will be behind Cotto. Paulie is a NY guy, but all of the Puerto Ricans will be out for the fight and will outnumber the Malignaggi fans.

That is true. Puerto Ricans get real into it. When I was living in the Bronx for a year, there was almost a huge riot after a Trinidad fight. For some reason I can't think of who he fought that night. It was either in late 2001 or early 2002.

Rob S
06-08-2006, 05:09 PM

That is true. Puerto Ricans get real into it. When I was living in the Bronx for a year, there was almost a huge riot after a Trinidad fight. For some reason I can't think of who he fought that night. It was either in late 2001 or early 2002.

Hopkins maybe. It was right after 9/11.

Jughead10
06-08-2006, 06:03 PM

Hopkins maybe. It was right after 9/11.

I had been out in the Bronx in some pretty shady areas, but that night I felt the most unsafe I did in the entire time I was living there.

smittyjs
06-08-2006, 06:05 PM
Is this fight at the temple in memphis??

Jughead10
06-08-2006, 06:12 PM
I think Tarver/Hopkins is in Atlantic City, because my friend wanted to get a room to gamble and not see the fight and the prices was ridiculous.

Cotto/Maliginaggi is in Madison Square Garden.

Rob S
06-08-2006, 06:46 PM
yeah, the Hopkins-Tarver fight is in AC at Boardwalk hall.

Rob S
06-08-2006, 06:49 PM
Where is primetime, he usually owns these boxing threads?

06-08-2006, 09:11 PM

Oh I'm here baby.

Thought I should start this sucker off by saying Rob, I'm sad to inform you that I called the cable company today and the Cotto fight is a whopping 39.99 PLUS local charges to order. If he was fighting a puncher or someone with a bigger name my dad and I would probably order it, but 45-50 dollars simply isn't worth it. Cotto will probably knock him out in the later rounds (as you predicted) or win by a decision.
This guy he's fighting might be slick but Cotto is young and tough so slick boxing won't deter his mighty march foward if this guy can't hurt him.

As for the Tarver vs Hopkins fight, I am excited to follow it online with espn.com round by round, but it is simply not worth 50 dollars to see a Hopkins fight. His fights with Taylor were 2 of his more exciting fights over the past decade.. they were good fights but not great.

As I stated earlier, I believe Hopkins will outsmart Tarver who will be too anxious to make a statement and knock Hopkins out. Hopkins will circle, grab, and punch when the ref. isn't looking and make this fight very sloppy in route to a decision victory.

Don't forget, Hopkins started his career at Light Heavy... and was 0-1.

Did any of you see that KO by Demetrius Hopkins last night? Wow. I was watching it live and almost turned it off because Demetrius is SUCH a boring fighter but I tell you what, I'm glad I kept it on. He knocked that dude the **** OUT! I was legitamitely afraid when I saw that guy drop. Thankfully, he was only unconcious for like 5 seconds and than doctors rushed in to help him.
It will probably win KO of the year and it was SportCenter's top play.

Demetrius has really grown into a solid puncher and is no longer a straight up pitter patter boxer anymore. He's KO'd 5 of his last 6, and he should be 6 for 6 but the fight he had before lastnight he couldn't put the guy away.

Demetrius has all the makings of a champion but he is
1. Boring
2. Lacks a killer instinct
3. Unsure of himself

I truely believe after consitently following his career on ESPN2 that he is a solid puncher and has great speed and talent at 140... he just doesn't have that "it".

Rob S
06-09-2006, 09:50 AM

Oh I'm here baby.

Thought I should start this sucker off by saying Rob, I'm sad to inform you that I called the cable company today and the Cotto fight is a whopping 39.99 PLUS local charges to order. If he was fighting a puncher or someone with a bigger name my dad and I would probably order it, but 45-50 dollars simply isn't worth it. Cotto will probably knock him out in the later rounds (as you predicted) or win by a decision.
This guy he's fighting might be slick but Cotto is young and tough so slick boxing won't deter his mighty march foward if this guy can't hurt him.

As for the Tarver vs Hopkins fight, I am excited to follow it online with espn.com round by round, but it is simply not worth 50 dollars to see a Hopkins fight. His fights with Taylor were 2 of his more exciting fights over the past decade.. they were good fights but not great.

As I stated earlier, I believe Hopkins will outsmart Tarver who will be too anxious to make a statement and knock Hopkins out. Hopkins will circle, grab, and punch when the ref. isn't looking and make this fight very sloppy in route to a decision victory.

Did any of you see that KO by Demetrius Hopkins last night? Wow. I was watching it live and almost turned it off because Demetrius is SUCH a boring fighter but I tell you what, I'm glad I kept it on. He knocked that dude the *********** OUT! I was legitamitely afraid when I saw that guy drop. Thankfully, he was only unconcious for like 5 seconds and than doctors rushed in to help him.

Demetrius has really grown into a solid puncher and is no longer a straight up pitter patter boxer anymore. He's KO'd 5 of his last 6, and he should be 6 for 6 but the fight he had before lastnight he couldn't put the guy away.

1. Boring
3. Unsure of himself

I truely believe after consitently following his career on ESPN2 that he is a solid puncher and has great speed and talent at 140... he just doesn't have that "it".

Good to see ya in the thread. Yeah, I saw D-Hop's KO. He is a pretty good prospect and that was a damn good KO. I've seen a few of his fights and I am not really a huge fan. I dont have much patience for very boring fighters unless they are displaying outstanding boxing skill against great competition (like Winky vs Trinidad). D-Hop will probably win a belt eventually (although he is not close to Bernard) and will ahve a very solid pro career.

Anyway I am extremely nervous right now for the cotto fight. I have great confidence in him, but Malignaggi looks to be in great shape and Cotto is having a lot of trouble making weight. He will make it, I think, but he looked drained at the press conference. I am a little worried that he might tire if the fight goes to the later rounds. And, if you wanna see the cotto fight (which has a great UC), just get 4 friends together, then it is 10 bucks each. Thats what I do when I m low on cash. Anyway, I am real excited for tomorrow, I just hope Cotto makes weight on his 1st try so he has a ton of time to replenish the nutrients he has lost this week.

RyanLeaf#1
06-09-2006, 09:56 AM
Hopkins is almost a 3-1 underdog. Anyone think he has a legit chance in this fight?

Rob S
06-09-2006, 10:29 AM
He has a legit shot, no doubt. He is a good boxer and always fights a smart fight. He also knows how to use dirty tactics better than anyone. Being his last fight, he will probably be looking to pull out all the stops. To say he has no shot would be ignorant. The 3-1 odds come mostly out of the big size differential, and I do agree that it will be significant. It is the main reason I have Tarver winning, but B-hop has a good shot imo.

Steelcurtain1970
06-09-2006, 10:51 AM
They both better be good for 50 bucks on Pay-per view cus im watchin them

HawkeyeFan
06-09-2006, 11:19 AM
Its not big if Winky Wright isn't boxing :cry:

Rob S
06-09-2006, 01:03 PM
Winky will be on next week against Jermain taylor, no worries Hawkeye. Also, steelcurtain, the fight probably wont be all that exciting, just warning you. If you dont like tactical fight, save your cash and catch the replay next saturday.

HawkeyeFan
06-09-2006, 01:07 PM
Winky will be on next week against Jermain taylor, no worries Hawkeye. Also, steelcurtain, the fight probably wont be all that exciting, just warning you. If you dont like tactical fight, save your cash and catch the replay next saturday.Alright! Thanks man!

familyguy555
06-09-2006, 01:15 PM
They both better be good for 50 bucks on Pay-per view cus im watchin them

thats such a rip-off

ATLDirtyBirds
06-09-2006, 03:47 PM
I got money on Cotto and Tarver.

06-09-2006, 04:01 PM
Hopkins is almost a 3-1 underdog. Anyone think he has a legit chance in this fight?

Read my post, he definitely does. He is, next to Delahoya, the smartest boxer in the sport. He knows how to win.

06-09-2006, 04:04 PM

Oh I'm here baby.

Did any of you see that KO by Demetrius Hopkins last night? Wow. I was watching it live and almost turned it off because Demetrius is SUCH a boring fighter but I tell you what, I'm glad I kept it on. He knocked that dude the *********** OUT! I was legitamitely afraid when I saw that guy drop. Thankfully, he was only unconcious for like 5 seconds and than doctors rushed in to help him.

1. Boring
3. Unsure of himself

Good to see ya in the thread. Yeah, I saw D-Hop's KO. He is a pretty good prospect and that was a damn good KO. I've seen a few of his fights and I am not really a huge fan. I dont have much patience for very boring fighters unless they are displaying outstanding boxing skill against great competition (like Winky vs Trinidad). D-Hop will probably win a belt eventually (although he is not close to Bernard) and will ahve a very solid pro career.

Anyway I am extremely nervous right now for the cotto fight. I have great confidence in him, but Malignaggi looks to be in great shape and Cotto is having a lot of trouble making weight. He will make it, I think, but he looked drained at the press conference. I am a little worried that he might tire if the fight goes to the later rounds. And, if you wanna see the cotto fight (which has a great UC), just get 4 friends together, then it is 10 bucks each. Thats what I do when I m low on cash. Anyway, I am real excited for tomorrow, I just hope Cotto makes weight on his 1st try so he has a ton of time to replenish the nutrients he has lost this week.

Yea I'm not a D-Hop fan either, like I said, I was very close to turning the fight off midway through it. He's very boring and despite the fact that he has champion talent he seems afraid to fight like it.

I don't have 4 friends who will be interested in a Miguel Cotto fight lol. Maybe I could gather up a few for the Tarver Hopkins fight, but even I don't want to buy that. It could be exciting... but I highly doubt it.

If the Cotto fight would've been 29.99 my Dad and I were going to purchase it.

Rob S
06-09-2006, 04:25 PM
You need some more friends that are into boxing. LOL

06-09-2006, 05:39 PM

No ****, but if you haven't realized yet, nobody is into boxing like we are. Hell, just look at this forum, me, you, and like 3 other posters are the only people at all interested in boxing.

I was gonna have some friends over for the Castillo vs Corrales fight but than Castillo's ***** muhfuckin ass didn't make weight. My one friend had "F--- Castillo!" in his away message the entire week lol.

I'm definitely converting people but it's not an easy task.

Rob S
06-10-2006, 07:23 AM
Yeah, its a pretty sad state now, we need an exciting, young heavyweight because they are all people seem to care about.

SuperMcGee
06-10-2006, 04:13 PM

No ***********, but if you haven't realized yet, nobody is into boxing like we are. Hell, just look at this forum, me, you, and like 3 other posters are the only people at all interested in boxing.

I was gonna have some friends over for the Castillo vs Corrales fight but than Castillo's *********** muhfuckin ass didn't make weight. My one friend had "F--- Castillo!" in his away message the entire week lol.

i love boxing, and i know the boxers and love watching the fights. But I cant retain knowledge from fights. When i watch them i see whats going on and catch on to the strategies, but that all gets overshadowed by the excitement or boredom of the fight that i cant retain what i was just yelling during the fight. Im a fan, just very unknowledgeable

06-10-2006, 06:35 PM
http://www.fightnews.com/katz09.htm

An article on the Hopkins vs Tarver fight. Pretty much repeats everything I've alread told you guys. Unless you're a HUGE boxing fan, like as big as me and Rob or bigger, you really shouldn't waste your money on this fight. There's like a 1 in 30 chance that it will be exciting. Keep in mind... 30 fights in boxing is like a 10 year career... :wink:

06-10-2006, 06:38 PM

No ***********, but if you haven't realized yet, nobody is into boxing like we are. Hell, just look at this forum, me, you, and like 3 other posters are the only people at all interested in boxing.

I was gonna have some friends over for the Castillo vs Corrales fight but than Castillo's *********** muhfuckin ass didn't make weight. My one friend had "F--- Castillo!" in his away message the entire week lol.

i love boxing, and i know the boxers and love watching the fights. But I cant retain knowledge from fights. When i watch them i see whats going on and catch on to the strategies, but that all gets overshadowed by the excitement or boredom of the fight that i cant retain what i was just yelling during the fight. Im a fan, just very unknowledgeable

This was the same thing I was about 5 years ago. I'd watch the fights if I was home or if it was convenient to me, I'd enjoy them but retain nothing from them including the names of the fighters that I had watched.

Times have changed though and I've grown to absolutely love the sport.

I think if you actually try to be a boxer it makes you appreciate it that much more. I'd bet that 80% of the users on this site couldn't box someone for 3 (3 minute) rounds... It's much harder than it seems.

Fighters who still have power in the 12th round are in as good as, or better shape than the most premier players in the NFL.

Baseball players, Basketball players, they really have no idea what it's like to be in the physical condition boxers are in (below heavyweight division of course, those guys are fat slobs who should be fighitng at light heavy or super middle).

SuperMcGee
06-10-2006, 06:40 PM

An article on the Hopkins vs Tarver fight. Pretty much repeats everything I've alread told you guys. Unless you're a HUGE boxing fan, like as big as me and Rob or bigger, you really shouldn't waste your money on this fight. There's like a 1 in 30 chance that it will be exciting. Keep in mind... 30 fights in boxing is like a 10 year career... :wink:

i definitely didnt expect it to be exciting. Only time i was excited during a Hopkins fight recently was when he was finally losing to Taylor. I remember he fought Eastman before his duo of fights with Taylor. One of the most boring fights ive ever witnessed

Go_Eli
06-10-2006, 06:44 PM
Total sidenote...

A guy on another forum was in AC today, at the Borgata, and saw Osi, Arrington, Plaxico Burress, and Richard Seymour. He said his bro met Vernon Davis as well. A couple more sports names, but those are the 4 football players he mentioned.

06-10-2006, 06:58 PM

i definitely didnt expect it to be exciting. Only time i was excited during a Hopkins fight recently was when he was finally losing to Taylor. I remember he fought Eastman before his duo of fights with Taylor. One of the most boring fights ive ever witnessed

I saw it too. Ugh.

JETS5128
06-10-2006, 07:20 PM
Where can i follow the fight on the internet? I thought it was on ESPN.com but i can't find it

socaldude
06-10-2006, 11:04 PM
HOPKINS DOMINATED TARVER!

So who here thinks this really is his last fight?

RyanLeaf#1
06-10-2006, 11:11 PM
He will never fight again. Zbikowski with a first round TKO. Go Irish

06-11-2006, 03:18 PM
I pretty much called that Hopkins fight to a T. I know my boxing people :P , don't listen to the odds makers in Vegas, listen to Primetime.

Cotto screwed him up (might have broke his jaw they say) but couldn't get the KO. Oh well, good performance from him and it looks like he's moving up to 147.

rainbeaukid2
06-11-2006, 04:10 PM
those fights were pretty good.

Rob S
06-11-2006, 05:23 PM
Didnt see the Hopkins fight yet, but heard he looked amazing. I am glad for that, I wanted to see him go out on top. Cotto messed up Paulie, broke his jaw, nose, and cheekbone, and cut him over the eye and on his mouth. He didnt look great, but he got the win, now he can move up to 147 where he will be more comfortable.

06-11-2006, 06:42 PM
Didnt see the Hopkins fight yet, but heard he looked amazing. I am glad for that, I wanted to see him go out on top. Cotto messed up Paulie, broke his jaw, nose, and cheekbone, and cut him over the eye and on his mouth. He didnt look great, but he got the win, now he can move up to 147 where he will be more comfortable.

Wow. I would like to see a pic of that! I was reading what happened before that fight on fightnews.com and I saw how many exciting fights there were before that fight and I figured you were having a great time.

SuperMcGee
06-11-2006, 06:43 PM
i was out all night and this is the first ive heard about the Cotto fight so far. Id like to see it.
and i knew Hopkins would win

Rob S
06-11-2006, 07:50 PM

Wow. I would like to see a pic of that! I was reading what happened before that fight on fightnews.com and I saw how many exciting fights there were before that fight and I figured you were having a great time.

Yeah, it was awesome. The crowd was crazy all night. Duddy got a huge ovation as well as Tommy Z and Cotto. Amzing night. I will post where to dowload the cotto fight in a second. Paulkie is freaking tough though man, he kept coming. He gained my respect.

Rob S
06-11-2006, 07:56 PM
to download the cotto fight: http://www.profibox.hu/shared/Cotto...gi_New_York.nsv

The Hopkins fight:
http://www.profibox.hu/shared/Tarve...lantic_City.nsv

Both are NSV files, so if you do not have it you will have to download WinAmp to play them. It doesnt take long.

Rob S
06-11-2006, 08:11 PM
you can get WinAmp here : http://www.winamp.com/

** I think We should just keep this thread going for this weekends Winky vs Taylor fight. I'll just change the name to Official Boxing thread.

ATLDirtyBirds
06-11-2006, 08:28 PM
I got Winky Wright on this one...

06-11-2006, 08:29 PM
you can get WinAmp here : http://www.winamp.com/

** I think We should just keep this thread going for this weekends Winky vs Taylor fight. I'll just change the name to Official Boxing thread.

We could do that, I wish we could get a mod in here to delete all of the previous posts though. If you want, I'll do my typical 3-4 paragraph HYPE post on thursday or friday and you can put it on the first post. I'll go into slight detail on both fighters, inform the public how the fight will probably go, predict who i think will win, and post links of short articles from various websites that give background and hype up the fight. Like what I did for the Oscar vs Mayorga fight and the Castillo vs Corralles fight.

I'm excited for the Taylor vs Wright fight and I'm still not %100 sure who I think will come away victorious. You should edit in a poll on who posters think will win so people can interact with the thread too.

Lmao at all the things I just suggested. Sorry.

I might have to download that Cotto fight but I'll just catch the Hopkins one on replay on HBO.

Rob, I'd like your take on that Duddy. My Dad mentioned him a few times last night but I really have never heard of him. What do you know about him and how good is he really? My Dad said he's a tough ass Irish fighter that may (he only saw 1 or 2 of his fights so he's not %100 sure) be the real deal.

Rob S
06-11-2006, 08:47 PM
Duddy is a tricky one. Enormously popular in NYC and an amazing draw. However, because of that, his promoters match him easy. His level of competition is not there, but the power clearly is. The man can punch, he is hittable though. The guy he fought last nught hit him a lot, just didnt have power. Certainly exciting and one to keep an eye on, but not a sure thing at all. Its a shame that we wont see him agianst real competion for a while, probably until he gets on HBO which wont be for a year or so imo.

We could reset the forum, maybe even get the mods to make it a sticky. Maybe you could pm one of them as you probaly know them better than me. I'll set up a poll to.

As far as the Winky Taylor fight, I will make a very early prediction now, but I reserve final judgement. I am going with Winky as of now. I love his style. His defense is the best in the business (although him and mayweather are very very close and it could go either way). I think this could look like the Trinidad fight with Winky controlling the action by blocking and popping out his hard jab, which is stronger than most because he fight with his strong hand in front. So I will go with Winky by UD.

06-11-2006, 08:53 PM
This will never get stickied. The mods.. well 2 of them at least.. aren't exactly the best guys on the forum. I don't get along with either of them particularly well. D-Unit will never sticky something that is not of direct interest to him.

Rob S
06-11-2006, 08:53 PM
Whatever, we can just keep bumping it up. The poll is up btw

06-11-2006, 09:05 PM
Whatever, we can just keep bumping it up. The poll is up btw

Good stuff.

06-11-2006, 09:43 PM
This is random as all hell, but I must state that Arturo Gatti is by far my favorite boxer of all time. Heart baby, heart.

Playing off of his nickname (Thunder) and his entrance theme (ACDC's Thunderstruck)

"That's not Thunder You Hear, it's Heart."

SuperMcGee
06-11-2006, 09:49 PM
This is random as all hell, but I must state that Arturo Gatti is by far my favorite boxer of all time. Heart baby, heart.

Playing off of his nickname (Thunder) and his entrance theme (ACDC's Thunderstruck)

im about to pop in the Ward trilogy right now, soo good

For the fight, i have a feeling that Taylor should win but Winky pulls it out and takes a decision

Rob S
06-11-2006, 09:54 PM

I like Gatti as well, but if he beats Baldomir he will probably be fighting Cotto and therefore I will hate him. He does put on amazing fights though and AC goes insane when he fights. Him vs Cotto would be definated FOTY candidate imo.

06-11-2006, 09:57 PM

im about to pop in the Ward trilogy right now, soo good

For the fight, i have a feeling that Taylor should win but Winky pulls it out and takes a decision

His first fight with Ward was the best fight I have ever seen. Ever. W/o question. Over Barrera vs Morralles and Castillo vs Corrales. The best.

It turned 3 of my buddies from non boxing fans, into boxing fans :D

06-11-2006, 09:59 PM

I like Gatti as well, but if he beats Baldomir he will probably be fighting Cotto and therefore I will hate him. He does put on amazing fights though and AC goes insane when he fights. Him vs Cotto would be definated FOTY candidate imo.

I can't wait for his fight with Baldomir, that fight is taylor made for him. I could actually see him defeating Baldomir.. but at his age and through all the wars he's been through I think the younger (and therefore stronger) Cotto would probably TKO him.

I CAN'T WAIT for his fight with Baldomir. I pray to god he wins. I hope its fight of the year and he proves he is the bar none the most exciting fighter in history.

Heart.

RyanLeaf#1
06-12-2006, 12:28 AM
Is there any videos out there with the Zbikowski fight?

Rob S
06-12-2006, 08:47 AM
I actually think everyone is overrating Baldomir. He beat a Judah who didnt train a lick for the fight. Baldomir is touggh, but he is not even a good boxer, he is about average. That said, I think it could be a possible fight of the year due to both fighters toughness and come forward style. But, I do see Gatti winning a UD if it makes the cards.

I will look for the Tommy Z fight for you

Rob S
06-12-2006, 09:50 AM
Couldnt find the Tommy Z fight. It will probably be on worldboxingvideoarchive.com, but the site is down as of now.

I am going to try and post some pics of Malignaggi:

http://www.boxing-pics.com/cotto_malignaggi/cotto015.jpg

Rob S
06-12-2006, 09:52 AM
http://www.boxing-pics.com/cotto_malignaggi/cotto017.jpg

Rob S
06-12-2006, 09:53 AM
If you want the entire gallery, here is the link:

http://www.boxing-pics.com/cotto_malignaggi/mulholland_cotto.html

JETS5128
06-12-2006, 03:32 PM
Is the Baldomir Gatti fight ppv?

SuperMcGee
06-12-2006, 03:33 PM
Did Cory Spinks have his fight yet?

He disappeared after the Judah loss

LTgiants
06-12-2006, 03:35 PM
winky wright will win

LTgiants
06-12-2006, 03:35 PM
winky wright will win

06-12-2006, 04:49 PM
Is the Baldomir Gatti fight ppv?

No sir :D

MaxV
06-12-2006, 09:32 PM
I'm a fan of Winky, but I don't see him winning over Taylor. JT is a beast. He just overwhelms his opponents with his jab.

Rob S
06-12-2006, 09:57 PM
Did Cory Spinks have his fight yet?

He disappeared after the Judah loss

I believe he will be on shotime sometime soon. Not a big fan of his anyway

Rob S
06-12-2006, 09:59 PM
I'm a fan of Winky, but I don't see him winning over Taylor. JT is a beast. He just overwhelms his opponents with his jab.

He has a great jab, but he didnt use it all that much in the b-hop fights. Winkys jab is just as good imo, due to the fact that he fights with his strong hand in front. He is also a defensive wizard. I dont see Taylor cracking his defense, but i may change my mind. This really is a pick em fight.

06-12-2006, 10:06 PM

He has a great jab, but he didnt use it all that much in the b-hop fights. Winkys jab is just as good imo, due to the fact that he fights with his strong hand in front. He is also a defensive wizard. I dont see Taylor cracking his defense, but i may change my mind. This really is a pick em fight.

I agree with the pick 'em fight. It will probably be close to dead even in Vegas with Winky having possibly a slight edge in the odds.

As you said also, they both have tremendous jabs. This should be a fight of jabs... and hopefully it wont be boring because it sounds like me and a few buddies are setting up a night of drinking and boxing for this fight.

btw, just to confirm for %100 sure, is it this weekend or next?

Rob S
06-13-2006, 08:45 AM

I agree with the pick 'em fight. It will probably be close to dead even in Vegas with Winky having possibly a slight edge in the odds.

As you said also, they both have tremendous jabs. This should be a fight of jabs... and hopefully it wont be boring because it sounds like me and a few buddies are setting up a night of drinking and boxing for this fight.

It is this weekend, June 17. It probably will be a boring fight to non-boxing fans, but if you appreciate a tactical fight (I do sometimes, and almost always when Winky fights) it should be interesting. I dont expect many fireworks.

06-13-2006, 04:32 PM

It is this weekend, June 17. It probably will be a boring fight to non-boxing fans, but if you appreciate a tactical fight (I do sometimes, and almost always when Winky fights) it should be interesting. I dont expect many fireworks.

I am the same way. That's why I like watching Floyd fight, he's such a smart fighter and he's so tactical and accurate you gotta love it. It was tremendous to see him switch styles to fight Judah because he knew he'd have to fight textbook style against a guy with Judah's speed instead of his casual, front arm down style he often uses.

I do think Taylor has the power to KO Winky, and I think Winky could TKO Taylor if everything went perfect for him... but neither will probably happen.

Rob S
06-13-2006, 04:40 PM
JT's power is not the issue. He certainly has the power to KO Winky, but he probably cant get through the defense. With Winky, he probably doesnt have the power, but could get it stopped with an accumulation of shots. Thats how I see it anyway. And, I thyink comparing this with a Mayweather fight is a little bit of a strech. Mayweather is far more exciting if you ask me. Thats just my opinion though. I think that you will have to really know boxing to enjoy a Winky fight, while most can enjoy a Mayweather fight regardless of their boxing IQ.

06-13-2006, 05:05 PM
JT's power is not the issue. He certainly has the power to KO Winky, but he probably cant get through the defense. With Winky, he probably doesnt have the power, but could get it stopped with an accumulation of shots. Thats how I see it anyway. And, I thyink comparing this with a Mayweather fight is a little bit of a strech. Mayweather is far more exciting if you ask me. Thats just my opinion though. I think that you will have to really know boxing to enjoy a Winky fight, while most can enjoy a Mayweather fight regardless of their boxing IQ.

You may be correct in saying that because Mayweather is not shy about trading blows. To be perfectly honest I may not have seen enough of Winky to make a surefire call on the kind of fighter he is.

Rob S
06-13-2006, 07:21 PM

You may be correct in saying that because Mayweather is not shy about trading blows. To be perfectly honest I may not have seen enough of Winky to make a surefire call on the kind of fighter he is.

The thing about Matweather is that he is tactical, but it is exciting because he is so fast and actually has underrated power. If you see a guy landing every blow of 5 punch combo, you will be excited, Winky and Jermain dont throw those types of combos. Jermain can be exciting, if he can hit the guy clean because he does have powert, but I still am not convinced he gets to winky. When he punches, I think he will hit all leather.

06-13-2006, 07:57 PM

The thing about Matweather is that he is tactical, but it is exciting because he is so fast and actually has underrated power. If you see a guy landing every blow of 5 punch combo, you will be excited, Winky and Jermain dont throw those types of combos. Jermain can be exciting, if he can hit the guy clean because he does have powert, but I still am not convinced he gets to winky. When he punches, I think he will hit all leather.

I don't think so. I think that defense can be penetrated by alternating from hooks to the body to straights to the head.

I'm still not sure though, Winky's jab can break you down. I just watched the 30 minue HYPE thingy on HBO OnDemand, it was good and I suggest you watch it.

Rob S
06-13-2006, 09:48 PM
I love the HBO documenteries. Legendary Nights is my favorite and I always watch the countdown shows. Anyway, that one is on tonight at 11:30 and I will be watching it.

06-13-2006, 09:57 PM
Does the fight start at 10? or 9? eastern naturtally.

Rob S
06-13-2006, 10:02 PM
I think it starts at 9:30, not positive though. The actual fight probably wont be on until 10:30 though because they are reairing the hopkins fight and will probably do a 10 or 15 min spot on Winky or Taylors training.

Rob S
06-14-2006, 07:12 PM
bump, we cant have this falling into page 2 haha

ATLDirtyBirds
06-14-2006, 08:32 PM
Lets go Wright!

Rob S
06-15-2006, 05:20 PM
I will make my selection of Winky Wright official. I think his defense will frustrate Taylor all night, and his jab will dominate. Winky on points

r0bz56
06-16-2006, 02:18 AM
Winky has a good defense, but so did Hopkins when Taylor fought him. And even though I don't think Taylor one either fight it was close enough for the judge. And 2 fights with a great fighter Like Benard only made him better. Winky looked like crap in his last fight and nearly lost. Im going with Taylor by Decision or late stoppage.

06-16-2006, 04:06 PM
Winky has a good defense, but so did Hopkins when Taylor fought him. And even though I don't think Taylor one either fight it was close enough for the judge. And 2 fights with a great fighter Like Benard only made him better. Winky looked like crap in his last fight and nearly lost. Im going with Taylor by Decision or late stoppage.

Just thought I'd throw in really quick that Winky's last fight was against wats his name, that dude who throws like 100 punches every single round. Pretty much nobody looks good against him.

I'm withholding my official prediction until I have more time to type it out. Now it's time to go deposit my paycheck.

MaxV
06-16-2006, 04:15 PM
Taylor has more power then Wright, I think he should win.

SuperMcGee
06-16-2006, 04:28 PM
Taylor's making a nice comeback in the poll
I stand by :wink: y

06-16-2006, 08:26 PM
First let me say, respond to this topic by posting here:
http://nfldraftcountdown.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=23651&start=75

I just wanted to make sure everyone had an oppurtunity to see this topic that would not have seen it otherwise. My hope is that I can sway a few people into watching the fight that had not originally planned to.

The Hype.

http://www.hbo.com/boxing/events/2006/0617_taylor_wright/columns/slideshow_fightweek.html
http://www.hbo.com/boxing/?ntrack_para1=feat_main_image
http://www.hbo.com/boxing/events/2006/0617_taylor_wright/tale/index.html
http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/boxing/columns/story?columnist=rafael_dan&id=2487014
Winky
http://www.hbo.com/boxing/events/2006/0617_taylor_wright/columns/fighterstory_borges.html
Taylor
http://www.hbo.com/boxing/events/2006/0617_taylor_wright/columns/fighterstory_gottlieb.html

Jermain "Bad Intentions" Taylor (25-0, 17 KOs) VS Ronald "Winky" Wright (50-3, 25 KOs) is a hugely anticipated bout that we as fans are fortunate enough to have on HBO instead of PPV.

Wright is widely considered the #2 Pound for Pound fighter in the entire sport (behind Floyd Mayweather Jr). He has taken a long and unique route to stardom. Early in his career he decided to forgoe the olympics and go pro without the benefit of it's exposure. It turned out to be ulitimately a poor decision. With no support early in Wright's career, he was forced to take his act over seas where he dominated every up and coming star in Germany with his in-penetrable defense and his demoralizing jab.
Finally, after defeating just about everybody with any sort of future across seas, Wright came back home to fight up and coming super star, Fernando Vargas.
Wright dominated throughout the bout and showed a style noone expected, he came foward and traded with Vargas, imposing his will with his jab. Vargas was supposed defeated easily by everyone ringside, everyone that is, besides the crooked judges. The judges awarded Vargas the decision in what could probably be considered the lowest point of Wrights career.
Unfazed, Wright continued to rack up legit wins until one day, a cocky but brilliant middleweight, after being advised against it, came knocking down Wright's door. P4P champ Mosely challenged Wright, the one fighter most supposed Mosely should steer clear of because it was impossible to look good against him.
Wright, in the biggest challenge of his career, beat down and frustrated Mosely in route to taking the unanimous decision in a shocker over Mosely.
With the boxing world in an uproar, the rematch was quickly held, and yet again Wright won handily.
With Wright's star soaring he later took on aging superstar Felix Trinidad. In a career defining fight, Wright Shutout Trinidad.

Finally Wright is in the eye of the public and is preparing for a fight that would ceal his legacy as a HOF calibur Middleweight.

Jermaine Taylor on the other hand has taken a completely different route to stardom. He was a member of the famed 2000 olympic class and was perhaps the most highly regarded fighter in the class. He was already on the fast track to stardom and was quickly offered a deal with HBO. HBO showcased Taylors skills and atheleticism, it was clear he had super star potential. After quickly racking up an impressive string of fights that led him to having a 23-0, 17 KO's record, Taylor made clear after his fight on HBO that he wanted Hopkins, the long reigning and unquestioned King of the Middleweight division.
Ordinarily a fighter with only 23 pro fights would not have a chance to fight a legend like Hopkins for his belts and his crown. However, Taylor was not an ordinary case. With his television exposure and his obvious skills the buzz of a showdown between the Legend and the young gunslinger was quickly arranged.
In by far the biggest fight of Taylors career he marched to the ring to the tune of Phil Collins' legendary tune, "In The Air Tonight". Talor won that showdown in a contreversial split decision in which he won the early rounds but was handled in the late rounds by the experience of Hopkins. Hopkins was bitter and so were many fans. A rematch was made.
Taylor, once again, stepped up to the plate and proved that he was in fact, not all hype. He beat Hopkins again, this time in a close, but unquestioned decision. He had ended the kings reign.

After these two huge victories there was one man left on the Middleweight horizon that challened his superiority. That man was Ronald "Winky" Wright.

After the two biggest fights of his life, Taylor, never afraid of a challenge, set up his next fight with the one man many said he should have avoided.

The fight airs on 9:30 eastern on HBO. It will probably be aired after a replay of the Hopkins vs Tarver bout that made Taylors win over Hopkins even more impressive.

My Prediction and Analysis.

It took me a while, but I've finally decided I'm taking Jermain "Bad Intentions" Taylor in a unanimous decision, or late TKO, over Ronald "Winky" Wright. Wrights fortey is a demoralizing jab and an inpenetrable defense. I believe with Taylors training from HOF'r Emanuel Wright, Taylor will finally conquers Winky's defense.
When Winky goes into his shell, he leaves himself open to the outside of his body to big looping body punches. I think if Taylor can pound the outside part of Winky's ribs and and sides early, he will break down Winky's D.
Winky's jab, is also nuetralized by Taylor's Super long reach of 78" compared to Winky's 72".
Taylor also has Superstar qualitys. When someone has the skills and athelticsm of a superstar, and has the ability to step up in the clutch, it is a trait that should not be overlooked. Taylor was fearless in his second fight against Hopkins, and made the King of Boring Ass Fights fight an enertaining bout.
Taylor is also younger and stronger.

Taylor by unanimous decision or late TKO.

06-16-2006, 09:44 PM
Can you believe some stupid college baseball game is on instead of Peterson!?

SuperMcGee
06-16-2006, 09:49 PM
i agree college baseball is the epitome of boredom, but who is Peterson. A FNF card im assuming, juts dont know who youre talking about

Rob S
06-16-2006, 11:08 PM
Anthony and LaMont Peterson are two brothers who are really good prospects and they have a great story too. Dont really have time to elaborate, maybe ill post in the morn..

06-17-2006, 10:43 AM
Another quick article here on the big fight.
http://www.fightnews.com/katz11.htm

I didn't catch the Peterson fight last night, but when I came in later I saw on espn.com that he won in a unanimous decision.

JETS5128
06-17-2006, 05:52 PM
Peterson is so annoying, he goes "pop, pop" everytime he punches

06-17-2006, 07:00 PM
You guys are going to fall over. I've been hyping up this fight for how long now, and I'm so pumped for it and all... but i'm cancelling the plans to go watch it to go on a double date with a girl.

I guess in the end it came down to this: ***** > Boxing

If you're ashamed of me you should be, because I'm ashamed of myself. But, in truth, each and every one of you would've done the same thing.

Rob S
06-17-2006, 07:27 PM
You guys are going to fall over. I've been hyping up this fight for how long now, and I'm so pumped for it and all... but i'm cancelling the plans to go watch it to go on a double date with a girl.

I guess in the end it came down to this: *********** > Boxing

If you're ashamed of me you should be, because I'm ashamed of myself. But, in truth, each and every one of you would've done the same thing.

Catch it on HBO West later or HBO 2 in the morning

MaxV
06-18-2006, 07:25 AM
A very close fight. I think Winky has a case as he looked more impressive but only by a small margin. Taylor's jab was non-existant, which is a surprise to me, but ESPN say it's because he was fighting a south-paw.

Neither Winky's nor Taylor's camp wants a rematch, which is a HUGE disappointment to me. I'm a fan of both of these fighters and want to see who the better one is, as this fight didn't prove anything.

Rob S
06-18-2006, 08:57 AM
i scored the fight 114-114. I will elaborate later, as I have to go to a fathers day party now. But, I will say this, JT has abandoned his jab in his last 3 fights and that is what makes him a potential ALL TIME GREAT. I have the upmost respect for JT. Granted they were all close, but to draw Winky, and beat Hopkins 2 times, in a row as essentially a raw talent, WOW! I want to see what Steward can do, but this kid is damn good. Same for Winky, but I think we all know that #2 p4p and he deserves to be

LTgiants
06-18-2006, 09:00 AM
winky won 115-113 on my card

06-18-2006, 05:07 PM
i scored the fight 114-114. I will elaborate later, as I have to go to a fathers day party now. But, I will say this, JT has abandoned his jab in his last 3 fights and that is what makes him a potential ALL TIME GREAT. I have the upmost respect for JT. Granted they were all close, but to draw Winky, and beat Hopkins 2 times, in a row as essentially a raw talent, WOW! I want to see what Steward can do, but this kid is damn good. Same for Winky, but I think we all know that #2 p4p and he deserves to be

You guys aren't going to believe this. I went out to go to the drive in with a girl and some friends... but we were so messed up we got there too late. Then, we were drivin along and the driver keeps complaining of how hot it and I just so happen to look up at the dashboard. The check engine now light is on!!! Dumbass who owns the car said she never put an fluids in it since she got it a year ago!!!!!!!!!!!! we bought some water and coolant and after a 1/2 hour in the parking lot (and talking to some heroin addict who I had quite a bit of fun messing with) we decide to just take our sorry act to my buddies sisters house.

We get there. I look at the clock. It's like 10:15............ I almost **** a brick. THEY HAD HBO!!!!! I was in aw, it all came full circle and I got to watch the fight after all. I got my cake and ate it too. Everyone I was with told me to change the channel but I wouldn't give up the remote and made them watch the whole fight :lol:

Unfortunately I didn't pay enough attention because the 2 girls were trying to annoy me the entire time. I did watch it though, and loved every second of it.

I told my Dad today that Jermain Taylor is not my 2nd favorite fighter. I really like that kid, he's tough as nails and he has the heart of a true champion. He is special people. Special. He is so special that he can make the most boring fighter on the planet, bernard hopkins, fight a mildly enertaining fight. He's so special, the very next fight he makes a fight against a purely defensive fighter into a very enertaining fight.

Dude's a beast. I'm going to watch the replay of the fight as soon as the Hopkins vs Tarver is over on HBO2 and tell you guys what I would have scored the bout.

Oddly enough... My dad scored it 8-3-1 for Taylor. When I was watching it I was slightly messed up and I thought Winky was stealing the rounds because he was punching more although Taylor was obviously the more powerful fighter. Taylor was able to stagger Winky and bully him around. Winky wasn't really strong enough to seriously hurt Taylor.

06-18-2006, 07:00 PM
Interesting. I had it 116- 113 for Taylor. 4th round a draw. 7-4-1.

Jonathan_VIlma
06-18-2006, 08:05 PM
I didn't score it, although I think Taylor did look better. I'm a fan of his, so my opinion might be biased, but he had control of the fight the whole time. Wright didn't land many devestating blows, and if Taylor would stay out of the god damn corner, he could've knocked Wright out because he's so powerful.

Wright is a defensive boxer and a damn good one, but that's going to hurt him when he's fighting with someone like Taylor because he takes so many power punches and rarely uses his jab.

MaxV
06-19-2006, 09:15 AM
Why don't they want a rematch? Both camps say there is no way a rematch will happen. I don't understand that. This was an excellent fight and both of these fighters are turning into BIG draws. A rematch can be a HUGE payday for both, plus it would be a great fight.

Rob S
06-19-2006, 02:08 PM
Well, I wouldnt say that JT controlled the fight because Winky was the one moving forward. Talor was in retreat mode most rounds. As far as controlling the pace and direction of the fight, I have to lean towards Winky. And, I dont think Taylor could have KO'd him, Winky can take a punch and JT didnt land that many clean. Taylor's major problem, in my opinion, is totally ignoring his best punch, HIS JAB! Why the hell doesnt he throw it? JT is going to be a great boxer with Emanual Stewards help, he is still a raw fighter. Thats why his last 3 fights were so impressive. That said, at this point I have to say that Winky is the better fighter. Look at it this way, if Winky fought the entire fight the way he fought round 12 (while throwing more jabs, because he was landing essentially at will), he could have won an easy descision imo. Taylor needs to become more refined to reach his vast potential, i hope steward can get this kid to listen because JT has great potential.

This was a very close fight and a very exciting one also, too bad we dont get a rematch. With most draws, i walk away dissappointed, but this one left me wit a good taste in my mouth. Both fighters were great and gave it their all. A draw was good imo.

Rob S
06-19-2006, 02:08 PM
Well, I wouldnt say that JT controlled the fight because Winky was the one moving forward. Talor was in retreat mode most rounds. As far as controlling the pace and direction of the fight, I have to lean towards Winky. And, I dont think Taylor could have KO'd him, Winky can take a punch and JT didnt land that many clean. Taylor's major problem, in my opinion, is totally ignoring his best punch, HIS JAB! Why the hell doesnt he throw it? JT is going to be a great boxer with Emanual Stewards help, he is still a raw fighter. Thats why his last 3 fights were so impressive. That said, at this point I have to say that Winky is the better fighter. Look at it this way, if Winky fought the entire fight the way he fought round 12 (while throwing more jabs, because he was landing essentially at will), he could have won an easy descision imo. Taylor needs to become more refined to reach his vast potential, i hope steward can get this kid to listen because JT has great potential.

This was a very close fight and a very exciting one also, too bad we dont get a rematch. With most draws, i walk away dissappointed, but this one left me wit a good taste in my mouth. Both fighters were great and gave it their all. A draw was good imo.

06-19-2006, 05:12 PM

He didn't jab because jabs are generally less effective against south paws.

Neither camp wants a rematch because both camps are afraid of each other. Taylor has the balls to fight Winky but his camp knows its an extremely risky fight, and Winky is also afraid of earning a L.

r0bz56
06-20-2006, 02:08 AM
I agree with the Draw. Winky could've had it, but he blew it in the 12th by not fighting and trying to run.

Rob S
06-20-2006, 06:59 AM

He didn't jab because jabs are generally less effective against south paws.

Neither camp wants a rematch because both camps are afraid of each other. Taylor has the balls to fight Winky but his camp knows its an extremely risky fight, and Winky is also afraid of earning a L.

Ehhh, the sothpaw argument could be true, but he didnt use it in the B-Hop fights either. JT needs to use his jab, it is his best punch. I cant recall a fighter that ignores his best punch and still is even close to winning. That is a major problem with taylor imo, but it can be fixed because he was a jabbing machine before his last 3 fights.

As far as Winky being afraid, I really dont think that that is the case. The man feels he was robbed. It is an understandable feeling on Winky's part. If he felt he clearly won the fight (I felt it was a draw), he has every right to be upset. The fight after all was right in Taylors backyard. But to say Winky is scared, this is a guy who gave Sugar Shane a rematch when Shane was #1 p4p. Winky is not scared. I think that after Winky has a few days to cool down, if the money can be made right, they will fight again. Maybe not their next fight, but if a 50-50 split of the $ can be organized, I bet you Winky will fight.

Rob S
06-20-2006, 07:09 AM
We have another HUGE boxing weekend. Not as big as last week for the casual fans, but for the hardcores, this is a huge weekend. Boxing After Dark features Calvin Brock vs Timor Ibragimov (sp?) and Joel Julio vs Carlos Quintana.

Brock vs Ibragimov appears to be a mismatch on paper (Brock the favorite), but Timor is undefeated. I really dont know much about Ibragimov, but I do know that Brock is one of the top heavys in the world right now. Get a look at him folks, because he is still young and could be the future star of the division.

Joel Julio is without a doubt my favorite prospect in the sport. HE is an absolutely massive puncher, but he shows that he is wise beyond his years with great body work and a patient style. The guy he is fighting, Carlos Quintana is another good prospect in his own right. He is also undefeated, and is Julio's toughest test yet. If you want a look at a future star, watch Julio this weekend.

MaxV
06-20-2006, 07:16 AM
The Brock-Ibragimov fight will be very interesting as I think both of those guys will be competitive fighters in this division.

The winner might get a title shot.

Rob S
06-20-2006, 07:24 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/boxing/news/story?id=2491946

Interesting news on DLH, looks like he will retire. If that is the case, I say good for him. Not many people get to walk away on top, and that is what he would be doing. I think Maywether would embarrass him, so I hope he retires. As far as Mayweather goes, I hope he fight MArgarito, I think that would be a good fight.

Rob S
06-20-2006, 07:25 AM
The Brock-Ibragimov fight will be very interesting as I think both of those guys will be competitive fighters in this division.

The winner might get a title shot.

Brock should have a title shot already. Oleg Maskaev is fighting for a title against Rahman, that should be Brock.

Rob S
06-21-2006, 10:33 PM
Thought I would let you guys know, I am creating a boxing mock draft over in the mock draft section. Not sure how many people I will be able to get, but I think it would be kinda fun (we would draft a boxer for each of like 6 weight classes).

Rob S
06-24-2006, 01:28 AM
bump

06-24-2006, 12:46 PM
That must see Welterweight is on HBO tonight. If i'm not out with the chicky I'll definitely be watching it.

familyguy555
06-24-2006, 12:54 PM
i punched a guy once...

MaxV
06-25-2006, 07:28 AM
Neither Brock nor Ibragimov looked impressive in this one. Perhaps it was the heat, but both looked slow. Brock might get a title shot now.

Rob S
06-25-2006, 08:56 AM
Julio lost which was a stunner. Quintana has now made himself one of the top prospects in the sport. I think it was a bad style matchup for Julio, a slick southpaw is never easy. I do think that he is the kind of kid who will rebound though, even though this was his first loss ever, including amatuers (85-0).

Brock did what he had to do, win. It was a boring fight, but Brock kept his "0", therby setting him up to get a title shot.

MaxV
06-25-2006, 09:31 PM
Julio lost which was a stunner. Quintana has now made himself one of the top prospects in the sport. I think it was a bad style matchup for Julio, a slick southpaw is never easy. I do think that he is the kind of kid who will rebound though, even though this was his first loss ever, including amatuers (85-0).

Brock did what he had to do, win. It was a boring fight, but Brock kept his "0", therby setting him up to get a title shot.

Well if Brock gets a shot at Klitchko and fights like that, he'll get burried. But he does have a good shot at other so called "Heavyweight Champions".

06-27-2006, 04:07 PM

Brock blows. So boring!!! Like every heavyweight. I left to meet with my woman 1/2 way through the fight, what does that tell you about it?

I'll tell you this much about the Quintana fight, immediately after the first round I found myself rooting for him. Idk why, he just had a confidence, a swagger that I really took a liking to, plus he was the big underdog. I told my Dad that Julio was going to KO him with a left hook after the 2nd round though because Quintana kept his hands way too low and he was WIDE OPEN for a big left hook when he would pull out. Julio only threw the punch 4-5 times with conviction though and Quintana always did a great job of rolling with the punch.

06-27-2006, 04:09 PM

Well if Brock gets a shot at Klitchko and fights like that, he'll get burried. But he does have a good shot at other so called "Heavyweight Champions".

Klitchko aint That good man. He's not even clearly the best HW right now. He's kind of a sissy too, at least he was.

SuperMcGee
06-27-2006, 04:12 PM

Klitchko aint That good man. He's not even clearly the best HW right now. He's kind of a sissy too, at least he was.

dont forget the glass chin

MaxV
06-27-2006, 04:13 PM
Wlad is the best HW BY FAR right now. Did you see what he did to Byrd? Byrd never threw a punch. His face was punching Klitchko's fists.

Maybe you're right about Wlad not being all that great.....but who in the HW division is?

06-27-2006, 04:15 PM
Wlad is the best HW BY FAR right now. Did you see what he did to Byrd? Byrd never threw a punch. His face was punching Klitchko's fists.

Maybe you're right about Wlad not being all that great.....but who in the HW division is?

He's not the best by far. He might be the best but he sure as hell hasn't proven it yet. He beat Byrd's ass yeah, but so would any very good heavyweight over the past decade. Byrd is a bum that is a product of a very weak division.

Rob S
06-27-2006, 04:18 PM
I would say Wlad is the best, but he is not by any means a great fighter. Doesnt crack my top 25 p4p, thats for sure.

MaxV
06-27-2006, 04:21 PM

He's not the best by far. He might be the best but he sure as hell hasn't proven it yet. He beat Byrd's ass yeah, but so would any very good heavyweight over the past decade. Byrd is a bum that is a product of a very weak division.

We aren't talking about "good HWs over the past decade", we are talking about right now. There are no good HWs right now.

And as of right now Klitchko IS the best of a very weak bunch.

The only HWs that have the talent to be VERY good are Wlad and Samuel Peter, but both are flawed.

Wlad's problem is he doesn't always conserve his energy, but I think he's fixing that problem right now and he showed in the fight against Peter that he can go the distance against a powerfull puncher.

Peter's problem is that he doesn't have a jab AT ALL. All he does right now is swing wildly, like a lumberjack trying to cut down a tree.

06-27-2006, 04:24 PM

We aren't talking about "good HWs over the past decade", we are talking about right now. There are no good HWs right now.

The only HWs that have the talent to be VERY good are Wlad and Samuel Peter, but both are flawed.

Wlad's problem is he doesn't always conserve his energy, but I think he's fixing that problem right now and he showed in the fight against Peter that he can go the distance against a powerfull puncher.

Peter's problem is that he doesn't have a jab AT ALL. All he does right now is swing wildly, like a lumberjack trying to cut down a tree.

The reason I said that bout Byrd is because you used Byrd as an example of his dominance, however, Byrd is a bum who could lose to anyone at any time right now in the division.

Idk, Klitchko will probably fight Flabby James Toney next because of the pay check. Rumors were circulating that he wanted to get on ABC for the fight which I would LOVE. The more exposure to boxing the better.

Rob S
06-27-2006, 09:47 PM

The reason I said that bout Byrd is because you used Byrd as an example of his dominance, however, Byrd is a bum who could lose to anyone at any time right now in the division.

Idk, Klitchko will probably fight Flabby James Toney next because of the pay check. Rumors were circulating that he wanted to get on ABC for the fight which I would LOVE. The more exposure to boxing the better.

Rumors are that Wlad is looking to fight Shannon Briggs :roll:

Rob S
06-27-2006, 09:51 PM
Yeah, I read on espn that briggs will likely fight Wlad because Toney will be figting Sam peter. Here is the quote

Heavyweight titlist Wladimir Klitschko's first defense, tentatively scheduled for Nov. 11 at Madison Square Garden, could come against New Yorker Shannon Briggs. With James Toney headed to a September fight with Samuel Peter, Briggs has emerged as the leading candidate, although nothing is signed yet. Another candidate is Calvin Brock, who could emerge as the opponent depending on the how his HBO fight against Timor Ibragimov goes on Saturday night.

MaxV
06-27-2006, 10:08 PM
I don't know much about Briggs, is he any good?

Toney-Peter fight should be entertaining. Toney better come in better shape otherwise Peter will knock him out in 5.

Rob S
06-28-2006, 01:35 PM
I don't know much about Briggs, is he any good?

Toney-Peter fight should be entertaining. Toney better come in better shape otherwise Peter will knock him out in 5.

Briggs is huge and can puch hard, that is it though. it is kinda a joke that he is getting a world title shot. My guess is Toney comes in fat again. But, he is one of the greatest defensive fighters ever so I dont see him getting KO'd.

06-28-2006, 08:01 PM

Rumors are that Wlad is looking to fight Shannon Briggs :roll:

No, on espn.com and on espn2 during a previous Friday Night Fights they talked about him looking to fight Toney on ABC. If espn's boxing page kept their articles up longer I would gladly post the link for you.

06-28-2006, 08:02 PM
Yeah, I read on espn that briggs will likely fight Wlad because Toney will be figting Sam peter. Here is the quote

Heavyweight titlist Wladimir Klitschko's first defense, tentatively scheduled for Nov. 11 at Madison Square Garden, could come against New Yorker Shannon Briggs. With James Toney headed to a September fight with Samuel Peter, Briggs has emerged as the leading candidate, although nothing is signed yet. Another candidate is Calvin Brock, who could emerge as the opponent depending on the how his HBO fight against Timor Ibragimov goes on Saturday night.

Oic, I guess I'm behind on the HW news. My apologies.

Rob S
06-29-2006, 09:21 AM

Oic, I guess I'm behind on the HW news. My apologies.

I remember the ABC rumor, nothing materialized. It was posted though

06-29-2006, 07:29 PM
Anyone see the fights last night? Did that HW get that KO? I fell asleep before it ended. That guy he beat (assuming) is the guy that beat that Mangina Audley Harrison.

M.O.T.H.
07-19-2006, 04:30 PM
Who here would pay to see a Mike Tyson vs Tommy Morrison fight?

07-23-2006, 11:13 AM
Wow no posts on here and Gatti fought. I'm ashamed of you all. He lost but he's still my boy. In the 5th he was about to get KTFO so he dropped his arms and just started swinging instead of being a punk like most boxers and just covering up and waiting for the ref. to step in. He got KO'd in the 9th I think. Such a shame. Hopefully he'll retire now, his frame is not big enough to be a welterweight.

LTgiants
07-23-2006, 11:15 AM
gatti cant go out on a lose and neither can vargas they will both be back

idk maybe one more time to fight each other :roll:

JETS5128
07-23-2006, 02:13 PM
Baldomir looked real good last night, i'd like to see him and hatton go at it

07-23-2006, 06:02 PM

Style wise it would have the potential to be a great fight, however, i do think that Hatton would beat him.

I love how he wants to fight Floyd though :lol:, Floyd wouldn't even have to train to clean him up.

Baldomir is like my new most hated boxer ever.

JETS5128
07-25-2006, 09:59 PM

Style wise it would have the potential to be a great fight, however, i do think that Hatton would beat him.

I love how he wants to fight Floyd though :lol:, Floyd wouldn't even have to train to clean him up.

I know, he beats his chest at gatti, then he acts all apolegetic after the head butt, then he trashes floyd and hatton. PICK A GOD DAMN PERSONALITY

Rob S
07-25-2006, 11:21 PM

I know, he beats his chest at gatti, then he acts all apolegetic after the head butt, then he trashes floyd and hatton. PICK A GOD DAMN PERSONALITY
both hatton and PBF would rip him up. so would cotto for that matter.

07-30-2006, 08:46 PM
I hope he fights Floyd and Floyd whoops his pansy ass soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo bad. I hope the next due he fights absolutely eats him alive. Big doofus. Only reason he's good is because he can't get hurt in his head. F' that, lets have him fight Mickey Ward and Ward pound him with that left hook to the body 50 times.

JETS5128
07-30-2006, 09:17 PM
Anyone see B.A.D last night? solid action

Someone needs to update the thread title

07-30-2006, 09:18 PM

I did, wasn't too shabby. I really fell for little Stevie, I was hoping he'd come back and KO him so bad lol.

JETS5128
07-30-2006, 09:20 PM

I did, wasn't too shabby. I really fell for little Stevie, I was hoping he'd come back and KO him so bad lol.

He didn't fight that bad of a fight, he just got caught with some punches, i really wanted him to win too

07-31-2006, 04:35 PM
Who here would pay to see a Mike Tyson vs Tommy Morrison fight?

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Nerv
07-31-2006, 04:38 PM
Im still waiting for Ron Artest vs Ben Wallace on ppv

07-31-2006, 08:50 PM

Artest would own, Wallace is a big chump who has never fought neone in his entire life. For real, who's gonna fight him?

MaxV
07-31-2006, 08:55 PM

Artest would own, Wallace is a big chump who has never fought neone in his entire life. For real, who's gonna fight him?

Artest's father is a former Golden Gloves champ isn't he?

Rob S
08-06-2006, 11:47 PM
im gonna update the title. And, I think that PBF vs Baldy is gonna go down on nov 2. Floyd is gonna destroy him.

RyanLeaf#1
08-07-2006, 07:38 AM
Did anyone here watch the Forrest fight this weekend? That just proves that boxing is fixed. Vernon got his ass handed to him and was deducted 1 point for a low blow and they still gave him the decision. Terrible.

HokiesSkins2621
08-07-2006, 07:44 AM
Boxing is set up. The contender is fake. Boxing needs to go.

M.O.T.H.
08-07-2006, 07:48 AM

Dont post in here anymore.

Rob S
08-07-2006, 06:59 PM

How is boxing set up? Give me one example from the last year. And the contender is not fake, most of the fighters do suck, but its not fake. And as moth said, if u dont like it dont post here.

Rob S
08-07-2006, 07:05 PM
i may be setting up another boxing mock draft. I only want people who actually know boxing (or are willing to research), so if u think u fit the bill, pm me or post here. You have a better shot of being accepted if u have posted in this thread and I get a sense that u know what u are doing.

Rob S
08-12-2006, 09:19 PM
anybody order the maskaev rahman ppv?

MaxV
08-14-2006, 10:20 AM
Mascaev!!!!!! Great job Oleg!

I can't believe people thought that this guy has a glass chin. He seems pretty tough to me. He took some pretty serious shots from Rahman and didn't even blink.

It's official now, HW division is COMPLETELY OWNED by the former Soviet Fighters.

According to various reports Mascaev and Klitchko are working on a fight in October. It could be an excellent fight.

Some of you may not realize this but it would acctually be a kind of a revenge fight, as, if I'm not mistaken, Mascaev once beat Vitaly Klitchko, before either turned pro.

Rob S
08-14-2006, 10:33 AM
Mascaev!!!!!! Great job Oleg!

I can't believe people thought that this guy has a glass chin. He seems pretty tough to me. He took some pretty serious shots from Rahman and didn't even blink.

It's official now, HW division is COMPLETELY OWNED by the former Soviet Fighters.

According to various reports Mascaev and Klitchko are working on a fight in October. It could be an excellent fight.

Some of you may not realize this but it would acctually be a kind of a revenge fight, as, if I'm not mistaken, Mascaev once beat Vitaly Klitchko, before either turned pro.

the HW division is just horrible right now. No disrespect to Maskaev, he is tough and has some power, but a fighter w/ his skill set should never hold a belt. The same goes for everyone else except klitchko (and a Toney who actually trains). Give me the lighter weights anyday.

LTgiants
08-14-2006, 10:59 AM
i may be setting up another boxing mock draft. I only want people who actually know boxing (or are willing to research), so if u think u fit the bill, pm me or post here. You have a better shot of being accepted if u have posted in this thread and I get a sense that u know what u are doing.

i guess this isnt happening :cry:

Rob S
08-14-2006, 12:25 PM

i guess this isnt happening :cry:

guess not. bump it anyway

tiredofwaitingforward
08-15-2006, 08:36 PM
Last week when i was suspended I went to Friday Night Fights baby!!! Yeaaaah!!!

It was freakin sweet. Saw Cherry fight for the second time and he really reminds me of Jermaine Taylor.

My boy and fan favorite Monte Meza Clay stopped his opponent due to excessive bleeding above the eye.

HIS OPPONENTS SON WAS RIGHT IN FRONT OF US AND HE WAS GOING CRAAAAAAAAAZZZZZZZZYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY when they stopped the fight!! omg he was yelling and screaming and stomping and crying about how it was such BS!!

and the whole crowd was going crazy when Meza Clay won. I felt so bad for him lol.

M.O.T.H.
08-15-2006, 08:44 PM
Yay!!! A Mayweather fight was finally announced, it's been so long.

08-15-2006, 08:45 PM
Yay!!! A Mayweather fight was finally announced, it's been so long.Who's he fighting?

tiredofwaitingforward
08-15-2006, 08:46 PM
Yay!!! A Mayweather fight was finally announced, it's been so long.

Yeah vs Baldy. If he comes with his A game it should be an exhibition for him. It's possible that he won't come with his A game though, he has a history of sometimes not being fully prepared and on his game for opponents he feels that he can easily defeat.

Even Chop Chop rocked him a couple times.

M.O.T.H.
08-15-2006, 08:52 PM
Yay!!! A Mayweather fight was finally announced, it's been so long.Who's he fighting?

Well, Primetime said it but, if you dont know who Baldy is, his name is Carlos Badomir, the #1 ranked Welter Weight. I've been waiting a long time for this.

08-15-2006, 08:55 PM

Well, Primetime said it but, if you dont know who Baldy is, his name is Carlos Badomir, the #1 ranked Welter Weight. I've been waiting a long time for this.
I know who he is I just didnt see his post. That should be a hella good fight but Floyd's gonna win.

M.O.T.H.
08-15-2006, 09:05 PM
What ever happened to the Contender thread?

MaxV
08-15-2006, 09:17 PM
Baldomir showed me A LOT in the last fight. I don't think it'll be as easy for Floyd as everyone says. But, yes, he is the fav.

M.O.T.H.
08-15-2006, 09:18 PM
On The Contender tonight:

Ebo Elder - Age 27 - Atlanta, GA - Pro Record (22-2), 14 KO's

Born in Atlanta, Georgia, Ebo "The X-treme Machine" Elder followed in his father's footsteps and started boxing at the age of eight. He enjoyed a long, illustrious amateur career with 139 wins before turning professional in 2000. Elder is currently ranked as a top 10 contender by all major boxing organizations.

VS.

Micheal Stewart - Age 28 - New Castle, DE - Pro Record (38-4-2), 22 KO's

Originally from Columbia, Tennessee, Micheal "No Joke" Stewart distinguishes himself from the pack with his thick, raspy voice and blue-collar appeal. He is a building aficionado who works as a union construction laborer by day and has aspirations of becoming a general contractor.

This should be the best fight yet.

Rob S
08-15-2006, 09:34 PM
personally, i think baldomir is not a good boxer. all he is is tough, and he has a great chin and great cardio. that said floyd has better cardio and when baldy comes forward, he will get hit with a lot of punches by floyd. i dont think FMJ will KO Baldy, but i think if floyd just boxes and doesnt get stupid, it could look like a spaaring session in the gym for floyd. baldomir just didnt impress me. i dont think he will hit mayweather.

Rob S
08-16-2006, 12:40 PM
i am shocked that ebo lost.

SuperMcGee
08-16-2006, 01:43 PM

people still pay for heavyweight fights?

08-16-2006, 03:52 PM

sad but true. I sure as hell don't.

Rob S
08-16-2006, 04:03 PM

i dont, i was looking 4 some round by round.

08-17-2006, 11:09 PM
I'm really lookin forward to the Cassamayor vs Corrales. That should be an excellent test for Diego, then he should move up in weight.

Rob S
08-17-2006, 11:26 PM
I'm really lookin forward to the Cassamayor vs Corrales. That should be an excellent test for Diego, then he should move up in weight.

agreed, Cassamayor can fight and I could actually easily see him winning.

08-19-2006, 07:03 PM
Williams fights Mitchell tonight. Williams has looked great lately but his defense is suspect. He'll probably beat Mitchell by TKO late. Mitchell is a streaky fighter and I'm sure he'll steal a couple rounds but will probably fall victim to the younger man.

UKfan
08-19-2006, 07:06 PM
I hope it hasnt been brought up before, but I couldnt be bothered to read 8 pages, what do you guys think of Ricky Hatton, after he beat Tzuyu, I thought, the skies the limit, but since then he struggled bad against Collazo, and now is dropping back to fight for a title he vacated.

08-19-2006, 09:01 PM
I hope it hasnt been brought up before, but I couldnt be bothered to read 8 pages, what do you guys think of Ricky Hatton, after he beat Tzuyu, I thought, the skies the limit, but since then he struggled bad against Collazo, and now is dropping back to fight for a title he vacated.

Hatton is a very good fighter. He is part of the new age of plodder fighters who just wear you down with their incredible will, in the mold of Carlos Baldomir, Margarito, and Kostya himself. I am not a fan of Hatton however, his style of fighting can bore me.

Considering the success plodders have had against the likes of Judah, who is basically a poor mans Mayweather, I think he would do an excellent job of giving Floyd a hard time. If anyone in the sport can beat Floyd at or below 147 I would give Hatton the best chance.

08-19-2006, 09:03 PM
Btw, he wants Gatti real bad, and Gatti looks like he still has a fight or two left in him... so Hatton vs Gatti may be his next match.

With that said, I really really really really really hope Gatti retires. I love Gatti so much that I don't think I would be able to pay (it would be ppv if he fought gatti i imagine) to watch Gatti get beat up by a younger, stronger guy.

Gatti's only chance against Hatton would be to catch him with one punch.

MaxV
08-19-2006, 09:41 PM
Did any of you guys hear of this boxer from Ukraine, Dmitry Salita(sp. ?)? He's undefeated and is getting a lot of hype here in NY.

He is a deeply religious Jewish person and doesn't fight on certain days.

Rob S
08-19-2006, 10:32 PM
Did any of you guys hear of this boxer from Ukraine, Dmitry Salita(sp. ?)? He's undefeated and is getting a lot of hype here in NY.

Yeah, i heard of him. he's okay. it is overblown around where we live tho.

As far as Hatton, i despise the man. As I am a huge Cotto, it is just in my blood to hate him. As a fighter, I think he is OK. I think he has fought bad fighters besides Tszyu and Collazo and was WAY overhyped coming to america. that said, he is a guy that can give people major problems with his style.

paul Williams looks good btw, but not as good as everyone is gonna say. if he was fighting a big puncher (Cotto, Hatton, even FMJ) he could have easily been KO'd. he has a decent chin on him, but his defense is elkementary imo and he gets hit WAAAAAY too much. he will have to work on that to be a top fighter like so many people expect.

08-19-2006, 10:35 PM

As far as Hatton, i despise the man. As I am a huge Cotto, it is just in my blood to hate him. As a fighter, I think he is OK. I think he has fought bad fighters besides Tszyu and Collazo and was WAY overhyped coming to america. that said, he is a guy that can give people major problems with his style.

paul Williams looks good btw, but not as good as everyone is gonna say. if he was fighting a big puncher (Cotto, Hatton, even FMJ) he could have easily been KO'd. he has a decent chin on him, but his defense is elkementary imo and he gets hit WAAAAAY too much. he will have to work on that to be a top fighter like so many people expect.

you're wrong, his chin is incredible. He fought a huge puncher in his previous fight and got hit with some BOMBS and just kept coming. His defense is w/o question suspect but he has a great body and tremendous chin to account for it.

Rob S
08-19-2006, 10:43 PM

you're wrong, his chin is incredible. He fought a huge puncher in his previous fight and got hit with some BOMBS and just kept coming. His defense is w/o question suspect but he has a great body and tremendous chin to account for it.

we will see about that chin. You very well could be right, but i have a feeling that HBO may have overblow mattyse's power in order to get viewers into the fight. I didnt and still dont buy buy mattyse as a legit prospect.

08-22-2006, 09:37 PM
Bernard Hopkins reminds me SO BAD of DMX.

btw, the only exciting flyweight in the world is fighting on the Chico undercard.

Rob S
03-29-2007, 01:30 AM
bump it up!

MaxV
03-29-2007, 09:58 AM
How in the world were you able to find this thread???

I'm tired of waiting for these big fights. Which is the best coming up?

UKfan
03-29-2007, 02:45 PM
Calzaghe v Manfredo is coming up I believe, and David Haye is fighting again soon, that's about all I can remember prior to DLH v Floyd.

Big Mike
03-29-2007, 03:50 PM
Calzaghe v Manfredo is coming up I believe, and David Haye is fighting again soon, that's about all I can remember prior to DLH v Floyd.

Who do you think is gonna win? I hate to be the guy who picks Floyd like everyone else but i have to

UKfan
03-29-2007, 04:06 PM
Yeah I have to go with Floyd, I think it will go to a decision.

MaxV
03-29-2007, 05:07 PM
Floyd will win, but it will be closer then people think.

Like him or not, Oscar is a very good boxer.

UKfan
03-29-2007, 05:40 PM
Floyd will win, but it will be closer then people think.

Like him or not, Oscar is a very good boxer.

I think it'll be close as well, maybe 4 round split, 116 - 112 or something like that.

Rob S
03-30-2007, 12:40 AM
I found the thread in the my threads thing lol. Anyway, I have Floyd by easy decision. I dont see it being close. I may elaborate later in another post, but I like FMJ to pitch a near shut out.

MaxV
03-30-2007, 07:50 AM
I found the thread in the my threads thing lol. Anyway, I have Floyd by easy decision. I dont see it being close. I may elaborate later in another post, but I like FMJ to pitch a near shut out.

Not a lot of faith in Oscar, huh?

I think you are underrating him.

Rob S
03-30-2007, 08:41 AM
Not a lot of faith in Oscar, huh?

I think you are underrating him.

I will offer a short reasoning post now. Basically, Oscar has not beaten a top opponent (which FMJ is) since 2002. Since that win over Vargas his only wins are vs Luis Ramon Campos, Felix Sturm, and Ricardo Mayorga. Those 3 guys probably are not even top 50 p4p, maybe even more. Sure he looked impressive vs Mayorga, but EVERY good boxer should. Mayorga is a a big name, but the fact is that his style lends itself to getting dominated by good fighters. He is a tailor made comeback fight. You saw it when Trinidad killed him. I was not overly impressed with DLH there. DLH has not been in the ring with someone the same level as FMJ for at least 4 years, probably ever. Combine that with the fact that this will likely be Oscar's last fight and that his money is in the bank and I think the recipe is there for a blow out.

MaxV
03-30-2007, 09:03 AM
I think Oscar wants to finish strong, and will give his best.

Rob S
03-30-2007, 10:27 AM
I think Oscar wants to finish strong, and will give his best.
I am inclined to think that as well. However, even if he does I think that if PBF sticks to a boxing game plan he can dominate.

UKfan
04-07-2007, 04:20 PM
Amir Khan just won at lightweight in 3 rounds with a decent body shot. Manfredo vs Calzaghe yet.

UKfan
04-07-2007, 04:50 PM
Anyone watching, Calzaghe dominating so far behind his jab, he hasn't really hurt Manfredo, but Manfredo looks lost in there. To be expected I guess

UKfan
04-07-2007, 04:52 PM
It's all over! Soft stoppage IMO even though Manfredo wasn't firing back anything

SugarSean
05-08-2007, 06:45 PM
That Manfredo stoppage was one of the worst I've ever seen. Anybody lookin forward to Zab vs. Cotto? I think it's gonna be a great fight and if Zab can stay focused or land big shots early on, Cotto's not makin it past the 8th.

bored of education
05-08-2007, 09:49 PM
I'm trying to go to Zab v. Cotto. Cotto's chin needs to be tested early thats for sure.

Billingsley26
05-08-2007, 09:58 PM
That Manfredo stoppage was one of the worst I've ever seen. Anybody lookin forward to Zab vs. Cotto? I think it's gonna be a great fight and if Zab can stay focused or land big shots early on, Cotto's not makin it past the 8th.

I think it could be great. I Think Cotto may surprise some people.

SugarSean
05-09-2007, 02:30 AM
I know Zab has his issues, but I can't help but think about how he dominated Floyd over the first four rounds of their fight. I hope Zab can stay focused and in good enough shape to make some noise again. I think he's probably the most naturally gifted figher in the sport. His handspeed and power are ridiculous. I have nothin against Cotto, but I would just love to see Zab perform at his highest level on that big stage in June and pull out a victory.

bored of education
05-16-2007, 09:28 PM
Glen Johnson v. Griffin nice old timers fight.

bored of education
05-16-2007, 09:40 PM
I've always like Glen Johnson's relentless always moving forward style.

SugarSean
05-20-2007, 03:18 PM
Taylor vs. Spinks was a joke. It was the type of fight that I pray no potential fan of the sport was watching.

Here's my detailed analysis of the fight:

Round 1 - Spinks danced. Jermain watched. No punches were thrown. Manny Steward yelled at Jermain iafter the round because Jermain wasn't listening or throwing any punches. Merchant sucked. Fans booed.

Rounds 2-12
(repeat)

UKfan
05-20-2007, 03:43 PM
Haha, pretty good analysis, who did you have winning it? IMO Cory sneaked it, but I can't complain at the verdict as he didn't exactly rip the title away from Taylor...

SugarSean
05-20-2007, 07:12 PM
Man I couldn't even keep up with scoring it because nobody was punching. I guess I would have to score a few rounds as even. Jermain was landing in the single digits most of the rounds and Cory was throwin in the single digits. Not landing...throwing. I really don't know who won. The Pavlik and Miranda fight was alrite, but it was pretty sloppy. I hate Cory Spinks.

SugarSean
06-07-2007, 11:02 AM
That X-Plosive is only two days away. Anybody amped for this fight? Rob, I know you are. Zab wasn't lookin like he was training too hard on the Countdown.

MaxV
06-07-2007, 01:05 PM
Sultan is champ. I knew he would beat Briggs.

SugarSean
06-10-2007, 02:03 AM
Rob S, props to your boy Cotto for takin care of business in an impressive fashion. Great fight.

ATLDirtyBirds
06-10-2007, 08:56 AM
Really was a good fight, but I can see where Judah wants a rematch. I'm positive those 2 low blows had a big effect.

SugarSean
06-10-2007, 10:01 AM
I think Zab wants a rematch b/c he realizes that he'll never get another big fight again. I can honestly say F**K Zab Judah. He beat Floyd for four rounds and then quit punching and last night just about every time he threw a combo or any type of left hand he hurt Cotto, but then he stopped throwing. I read in an article something about how it's funny how u can watch every Zab fight and see that as the rounds go on, he throws less punches and his dad throws more and more in between rounds. And it held true last night. He has all the tools, but if I were making a boxing video game, I would have Zab's heart as a 0/100. No joke. And I'd have his balls at about 3/100 b/c at least we no he has those by the way he reacted to getting hit down there, but he certainly doesn't have big ones.

I was moderately impressed with Cotto's performance, but I still think he would get handled by Floyd. He justs gets hit too easily for my liking. His defense is the only thing that's holding him back from being an undeniable force in everyone's eyes. Depending on how he looks against Margarito (if he wins against Williams) next he still may not be ready. Cotto fans were demanding him to fight Floyd next year on the eve of the Puerto Rican Day, but I think he should look at Mosely for that date. If he can get through Margarito and Shane w/o takin as much punishment as he usually does, then I think around next fall he should fight Floyd in a MEGAFIGHT. Preferably somewhere in Louisiana, so I could go to it. (wishful thinking)

But again, props to Cotto for taking care of business in front of his largest fan base, unlike Jermain Taylor. I like where the kid is headed.

bernbabybern820
06-10-2007, 11:51 AM
I think Zab wants a rematch b/c he realizes that he'll never get another big fight again. I can honestly say F**K Zab Judah. He beat Floyd for four rounds and then quit punching and last night just about every time he threw a combo or any type of left hand he hurt Cotto, but then he stopped throwing. I read in an article something about how it's funny how u can watch every Zab fight and see that as the rounds go on, he throws less punches and his dad throws more and more in between rounds. And it held true last night. He has all the tools, but if I were making a boxing video game, I would have Zab's heart as a 0/100. No joke. And I'd have his balls at about 3/100 b/c at least we no he has those by the way he reacted to getting hit down there, but he certainly doesn't have big ones.

I was moderately impressed with Cotto's performance, but I still think he would get handled by Floyd. He justs gets hit too easily for my liking. His defense is the only thing that's holding him back from being an undeniable force in everyone's eyes. Depending on how he looks against Margarito (if he wins against Williams) next he still may not be ready. Cotto fans were demanding him to fight Floyd next year on the eve of the Puerto Rican Day, but I think he should look at Mosely for that date. If he can get through Margarito and Shane w/o takin as much punishment as he usually does, then I think around next fall he should fight Floyd in a MEGAFIGHT. Preferably somewhere in Louisiana, so I could go to it. (wishful thinking)

But again, props to Cotto for taking care of business in front of his largest fan base, unlike Jermain Taylor. I like where the kid is headed.

love the idea.

06-20-2007, 03:54 PM
Can't wait for the Ricky Hatton fight Saturday night baby! Hatton is gonna KO him in the 10th Round easy win for The Hitman. Hopfully Hatton's next two fights are Cotto and Mayweather to prove that Hatton is The Best.

hornybastard
06-23-2007, 01:43 PM
I think the Hatton Castillo fight is gonna be good I see one of them getting KOed in the 11th. There both aggressive fighters that won't take a step back.

Rob S
06-23-2007, 05:47 PM
didnt see the thread till now. anyway, I think Cotto has the best shot at beating mayweather of any boxer right now.......dont feel like going into it now but if u want me to elaborate i will. Also, MSG was the loudest i have ever heard it (I was at a ranger playoff game too......and Cotto-Judah owned it) Pumped for the fight tonight, i think hatton should win due to size and pressure, but JLC is a great, great fighter and will stay in there and rip that left hook.

06-24-2007, 01:17 AM
Ricky Hitman Hatton baby best Boxer in the buiz right now. Hatton vs. Mayweather baby Hatton will whip him up! Mayweather is a bum Hatton is the man.

M.O.T.H.
06-24-2007, 01:19 AM
I didnt see the fight but, i heard 4th round KO... wish i could have seen it live...

06-24-2007, 01:27 AM
Hatton gave him a left hook right in the body and Castillo just went to one knee and he just gave up.

M.O.T.H.
06-24-2007, 04:16 AM
http://youtube.com/watch?v=Ggo4hlf8V8Q

Hatton knocks out Castillo.

BufFan71
06-24-2007, 11:58 AM
anyone think Andrew Golota will make a return?

bored of education
06-26-2007, 09:35 AM
Hatton v. Mayweather, Cotto-Mayweather would be amazing. It will test both fighters in ways they have not been tested before and of course test Mayweather. Pavlik-Taylor would be very nice.

Some fights comming up of interest:
Margarito-Williams- July 17 (I think andre ward is fighting on the undercard)
Maccarinelli-Braithwaite- July 21

and some other decent bouts

bored of education
06-27-2007, 01:28 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/boxing/news/story?id=2918039

dayummm

M.O.T.H.
06-27-2007, 01:40 PM

dayummm

I've been waiting for this fight for years......

fischbowl
06-27-2007, 02:02 PM
any Baby Joe Mesi fans?

SuperMcGee
06-27-2007, 02:03 PM
any Baby Joe Mesi fans?

Me, but you'd probably figure that.

UKfan
06-27-2007, 02:09 PM
I hate to say it, but Mayweather would smash Hatton in a boxing clinic, Floyd's just to slick an operator IMO.

SuperMcGee

dayummm

I'd rather see Floyd fight a different fighter or two, but it's good to see this fight happen. I'd suredly expect Floyd to win.

ATLDirtyBirds

dayummm

Sweet.

M.O.T.H.
06-27-2007, 02:12 PM
Battle of the unbeatens gotta love it....

bored of education
06-27-2007, 02:29 PM
Floyd babyyyyy

fischbowl
06-27-2007, 02:30 PM
Me, but you'd probably figure that.

yeah i sort of figured it was you and me.

SugarSean
06-30-2007, 01:37 PM
Ricky Hitman Hatton baby best Boxer in the buiz right now. Hatton vs. Mayweather baby Hatton will whip him up! Mayweather is a bum Hatton is the man.

Either you live in Great Britain or you live in LaLa Land. No way Hatton wins that fight. It's lookin like it won't even happen now, b/c Hatton's talkin bout takin a tune-up fight in GB. He's scared. He's showin his true colors.

UKfan
06-30-2007, 01:43 PM
Either you live in Great Britain or you live in LaLa Land. No way Hatton wins that fight. It's lookin like it won't even happen now, b/c Hatton's talkin bout takin a tune-up fight in GB. He's scared. He's showin his true colors.

Hey, I'm from GB and I know Hatton would lose. Anyway talk over here is that Hatton's camp have tabled a 5m offer to Floyd. They are also negotiating with Paulie Malignaggi for a fight in the MSG.

SugarSean
06-30-2007, 01:58 PM
Hey, I'm from GB and I know Hatton would lose. Anyway talk over here is that Hatton's camp have tabled a 5m offer to Floyd. They are also negotiating with Paulie Malignaggi for a fight in the MSG.

Yeah, I hear they offered a him a little under 10 mil (U.S. dollars), which isn't that bad, but in the offer, Hatton is gonna be making a lot more and Floyd has to sit around for the rest of the year while Hatton fights a tune-up fight in November to get his body more acclimated to 147. It kinda doesn't make sense to me b/c I hear he walks around at about 190. But I hear the offer is a joke. It seems like a low-ball just so they can say Floyd turned down Hatton.

MaxV
06-30-2007, 02:00 PM
BTW, for those that care, Sultan Ibragimov and Ruslan Chagaev will try to unify the HW titles.

I'm not sure if it'll be televised.

UKfan
06-30-2007, 02:00 PM
Yeah, I hear they offered a him a little under 10 mil (U.S. dollars), which isn't that bad, but in the offer, Hatton is gonna be making a lot more and Floyd has to sit around for the rest of the year while Hatton fights a tune-up fight in November to get his body more acclimated to 147. It kinda doesn't make sense to me b/c I hear he walks around at about 190. But I hear the offer is a joke. It seems like a low-ball just so they can say Floyd turned down Hatton.

Hatton probably does walk around at 190, but it's not an in shape 190, he piles on the fat and boozes a lot in between fights.

Hatton is sometimes referred to by boxing fans as "Ricky Fatton" because he's been known to allow himself to weigh as much as 175 to 180 pounds (35 to 40 pounds over his fight weight) when he's not in training for a fight. Ever since Hatton turned professional, he has always opted to eat a full English breakfast (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/English_breakfast) before fights From Wiki

SugarSean
06-30-2007, 03:42 PM
I'm interested in that Chagaev/Ibragimov fight. Unifying the heavyweight belts is always good. Hopefully the winner will fight Wlad.

Rob S
06-30-2007, 07:07 PM
I'm interested in that Chagaev/Ibragimov fight. Unifying the heavyweight belts is always good. Hopefully the winner will fight Wlad.

The fight does not interest me, but the fact that it is unification is amazing for the sport. The only way boxing can become big again is with a real HW champ.

Rob S
06-30-2007, 07:08 PM

No way Hatton makes more than PBF. I dont think Floyd will do this for a 50-50 split, let alone making less.

Rob S
06-30-2007, 07:11 PM
so, who do u guys have in the Margarito-Williams fight, this is one of the most intriguing fights of the year imo. I dont know who I like yet. I love Margarito and want him to win bc I want to see Cotto get that fight, but, Williams is skilled and has an 82 in. reach, that is f'n ridiculous.

SuperMcGee
06-30-2007, 07:17 PM
I've been excited for this fight for a while now. Williams is a freak but I'm pulling for Margarito. I love what this fight could mean for both fighters.

SugarSean
06-30-2007, 08:05 PM
The fight does not interest me, but the fact that it is unification is amazing for the sport. The only way boxing can become big again is with a real HW champ.

I think you hit the nail on the head. I shoulda said I'm interested in unifying the division, not interested in the actual fight b/c I'm really not interested in those two guys.

SugarSean
06-30-2007, 08:10 PM
so, who do u guys have in the Margarito-Williams fight, this is one of the most intriguing fights of the year imo. I dont know who I like yet. I love Margarito and want him to win bc I want to see Cotto get that fight, but, Williams is skilled and has an 82 in. reach, that is f'n ridiculous.

I'm rooting for Williams, b/c I don't really like Margarito. I think he's overrated. I think this is gonna be a great test for Williams, b/c I would like to see him be the next huge superstar in the sport. I don't know what it is about him, maybe it's how he says yes sir and no sir in all his interviews that I like about him. He seems really polite, humble, confident, cocky...everything. Then he's got the right style and frame to be able to conquer every division up to 160. Maybe 168. I don't know, but when you watch him in interviews and stuff he just comes off as a guy that you wanna root for. I can't say if I think he'll win against Tony, but I HOPE he wins.

ATLDirtyBirds
06-30-2007, 10:26 PM
Battle of the unbeatens gotta love it....

Floyd would dominate the hell outta him.

M.O.T.H.
06-30-2007, 10:27 PM
Floyd would dominate the hell outta him.

I'd def. take Floyd....no question but, I would pay big moeny to see this one...I hope it goes down.