PDA

View Full Version : Michael Crabtree vs. Dez Bryant

Mr. Goosemahn
04-09-2010, 12:29 AM
Who do you guys have as the better prospect?

I think both had similar questions about speed, both have great hands, similar size for both, and were/are legit top 10 picks.

Paranoidmoonduck
04-09-2010, 12:35 AM
Based on game footage and projecting him to the NFL? Bryant. That's an easy call for me too, I was saying that in the run up to last year's draft. The gap isn't a huge one by any means, but I'm absolutely sure I have Bryant rated higher.

If you're factoring in the various concerns about the players, I'm not really sure where I stand. I thought Crabtree was going top be problematic in the NFL and what's more I thought that he would have trouble once teams really started hitting him (so long as the 49ers keep running large wide receiver sets, that's not really something to worry heavily about), but I didn't really have much grounds to assume that he just wouldn't work. I'm not sure I have that evidence for Bryant either, but there's definitely more smoke out there that Bryant cares less than Crabtree, even if he's less insufferable.

Mr. Goosemahn
04-09-2010, 12:50 AM
Based on game footage and projecting him to the NFL? Bryant. That's an easy call for me too, I was saying that in the run up to last year's draft. The gap isn't a huge one by any means, but I'm absolutely sure I have Bryant rated higher.

If you're factoring in the various concerns about the players, I'm not really sure where I stand. I thought Crabtree was going top be problematic in the NFL and what's more I thought that he would have trouble once teams really started hitting him (so long as the 49ers keep running large wide receiver sets, that's not really something to worry heavily about), but I didn't really have much grounds to assume that he just wouldn't work. I'm not sure I have that evidence for Bryant either, but there's definitely more smoke out there that Bryant cares less than Crabtree, even if he's less insufferable.

Yeah, I meant as players, who's got more talent, who's more of an overachiever, better physical skills, etc.

Both have their fair share of off-field issues.

FrankGore
04-09-2010, 12:55 AM
Ever since he got to SF Crabtree's been a model citizen/worker. I think he's just a very reclusive kid and that's taken the wrong way sometimes. He has his family/close friends and that's all he really cares to hang out with.

If that's as bad as it's gonna get, I'll take it. Kid came in cold turkey in the middle of the year and lit it up. We pretty much had to restructure our whole offense because we finally had a receiving threat.

wogitalia
04-09-2010, 01:44 AM
I think Bryant is a better prospect. Does just about everything better as a receiver.

He also has a lot more negative character concerns.

Crabtree was/is a loner that alienates people and is perhaps overly confident in his own abilities. That was the knock on him.

Bryant seems to be an immature and somewhat idiotic human with very questionable work habits and questions whether he cares about the game.

Both are outstanding receiving prospects though and character concerns can often vanish with a bit of maturity and the right environment. See Harvin last year, who had more character concerns than these two combined.

gpngc
04-09-2010, 01:49 AM
Bryant is probably more athletic (probably a little faster) and has more physical talent. Crabtree is probably a slightly better pure receiver in terms of hands, route-running, finding holes in zones, feel-for-the-game, etc.

As an overall prospect, Bryant would probably be "rated" higher in the same class because his skills are on par with Crab, he has a bit more athleticism and explosiveness, and where he's behind Crab (pure receiver stuff) - he can still improve (plus he's not far off right now).

But it's like comparing Brandon Marshall to Roddy White or something. Both are just awesome.

gpngc
04-09-2010, 01:53 AM
Ever since he got to SF Crabtree's been a model citizen/worker. I think he's just a very reclusive kid and that's taken the wrong way sometimes. He has his family/close friends and that's all he really cares to hang out with.

If that's as bad as it's gonna get, I'll take it. Kid came in cold turkey in the middle of the year and lit it up. We pretty much had to restructure our whole offense because we finally had a receiving threat.

It was kind of scary that he came in midseason (coming off an injury AND the holdout), stepped in a starting role and delivered from the get-go.

Imagine with a whole summer and camp working with his QB and coaches?

Sucks to be a Seahawks fan sometimes.

FrankGore
04-09-2010, 02:24 AM
I mean I was pretty hopeful for Crabs, but when I heard he pretty much won the starting job the moment he started practicing, I figured his talent had to be even greater than I projected. He's just such a good overall athlete - strong, great body control, strong hands, great coordination.

I think Bryant is a more explosive receiver who can help you hit the big play more frequently. Also a little bigger than Crabs and he has some kick return value too. Overall I guess you could call him a more impressive prospect on the field, but you factor in the concerns about him, it levels the playing field between the two again.

Flip a coin...I feel there are less question marks for Crabs as a long-term NFL pro though.

A Perfect Score
04-09-2010, 02:44 AM
Ive been a huge advocate of Bryant's on here, and this is no change. As a football player, I have him head and shoulders above Crabtree. I cant really think of anything Crabs does better then him, except Crabs may run a little better routes and had less lapses in concentration. That said, if Im taking a WR in the top 10, I would absolutely prefer Bryant to Crabtree, even with the character issues surrounding Bryant. And for some reason I feel I should point out DHB has no business being drafted higher then either of these guys.

Flyboy
04-09-2010, 02:47 AM
I'm in the vast minority that had Crabs over Bryant but then again I've always been a huge Crabs homer so I'm biased.

Caulibflower
04-09-2010, 03:00 AM
It was kind of scary that he came in midseason (coming off an injury AND the holdout), stepped in a starting role and delivered from the get-go.

Imagine with a whole summer and camp working with his QB and coaches?

Sucks to be a Seahawks fan sometimes.

A year later: Would you prefer to have Aaron Curry or Michael Crabtree?

Yeah...:(

Flyboy
04-09-2010, 03:01 AM

Lawlz. Never agreed with that pick when the Seahawks made it.

Caulibflower
04-09-2010, 03:05 AM
Seriously...the NFL IS A PASSING LEAGUE. This is old news. And we take a linebacker over the best receiver in the draft? When Hasselbeck is throwing to.....who? Deion Branch? Oh, what's that? A rookie tight end led the team in receiving the year before?

*DOES NOT COMPUTE.*

*fizzles and sparks.*

*keels over.*

SenorGato
04-09-2010, 10:09 AM
Bryant's bigger so I'd take him. Both are beasts.

JFLO
04-09-2010, 10:15 AM
Bryant>Crabtree

A.J. Green > Bryant> Crabtree

On a serious note, Crabtree isn't as athletic as Bryant although I think some people underrated Michael's athleticism. Bryant's ability to stretch the field using not only good game speed and physicality widely surpasses Crabtree.

BuddyCHRIST
04-09-2010, 10:25 AM
I'll go with Bryant as prospects, though I was very impressed with how Crabtree played last year considering when he joined the 49'ers.

SenorGato
04-09-2010, 10:40 AM
I think Bryant's a better prospect than Green...not by much...but if he had been able to play in 2009 I think that'd be a fairly common statement. The guy seriously is an animal...only way he busts is if he gets hit with the injury bug that hit Rogers (who I know busted for other reasons, but injury first).

Babylon
04-09-2010, 11:13 AM
Neither guy looks like a burner so they're going to have to get by on using their size and route running to their advantage. I'll take Crabtree.

Mr.Regular
04-09-2010, 11:45 AM
Neither guy looks like a burner so they're going to have to get by on using their size and route running to their advantage. I'll take Crabtree.
Agree completely. Crabtree is better then Bryant as a prospect, he never got enough credit in the buildup leading to last years draft.

SenorGato
04-09-2010, 11:51 AM

I feel the same way about Bryant. These guys are kids...my age...21-22...getting scrutinized for every minor thing they do by future employers (supposedly anyway, I doubt teams weigh the cleats thing as heavily as we do) and even moreso by the fans of their future employers.

These kids are alot more complicated than good dude/bad dude...at this point they can head down either path...but at such a young age it's more likely they're not as bad as the media paints them as.

gpngc
04-09-2010, 12:00 PM

Go check the Seahawks forum around draft time last year...

FrankGore
04-09-2010, 12:18 PM
I feel the same way about Bryant. These guys are kids...my age...21-22...getting scrutinized for every minor thing they do by future employers (supposedly anyway, I doubt teams weigh the cleats thing as heavily as we do) and even moreso by the fans of their future employers.

These kids are alot more complicated than good dude/bad dude...at this point they can head down either path...but at such a young age it's more likely they're not as bad as the media paints them as.

Yeah, I agree in principal. I just think there's a lot more going on with Bryant. He had a very rough childhood from what I've heard and Crabtree doesn't have anything like that in his history. Bryant supposedly has trouble managing his life/priorities which wasn't a problem for Crabtree. They both have similar concerns about who they hang out with...both linked to Deion, though Bryant coming out in random support of Pac Man kinda baffled me.

So it'll be up to teams to decide whether those are legitimate concerns, and/or if they can be fixed. With Crabs the biggest thing was he was a supposed "diva" which there are plenty of in the NFL, but nobody questioned how hard he worked. There are those questions about Bryant. Again, I don't know if they're legit, but I just think teams have more to think about with him.

parcells
04-09-2010, 02:26 PM
Bryant is more talented, but I think character absolutely is a component of what makes a prospect good or bad, and with all of Bryant's concerns I'd probably put Crabtree ahead of him, even though he wasn't considered to be a model citizen. At the WR position, we've just seen way too many examples of prima donna WRs causing huge problems. If Bryant is a success in the NFL, I think there's a real shot that he turns into a major pain in the ass for his own team.

Flyboy
04-09-2010, 10:41 PM
Agree completely. Crabtree is better then Bryant as a prospect, he never got enough credit in the buildup leading to last years draft.

Agreed 100%.

SenorGato
04-09-2010, 11:09 PM
Yeah, I agree in principal. I just think there's a lot more going on with Bryant. He had a very rough childhood from what I've heard and Crabtree doesn't have anything like that in his history. Bryant supposedly has trouble managing his life/priorities which wasn't a problem for Crabtree. They both have similar concerns about who they hang out with...both linked to Deion, though Bryant coming out in random support of Pac Man kinda baffled me.

So it'll be up to teams to decide whether those are legitimate concerns, and/or if they can be fixed. With Crabs the biggest thing was he was a supposed "diva" which there are plenty of in the NFL, but nobody questioned how hard he worked. There are those questions about Bryant. Again, I don't know if they're legit, but I just think teams have more to think about with him.

Not for nothing, but kids from that background are usually more scared of them than they should be of him. True, frightened people do stupid things, but forgetting his cleats while somehow bringing 6 pairs could be alot worse.

Pac Man may/may not be significant. There's no detail there, and lets face it it's doubtful Jones is trying to teach Bryant to be a bad guy.

Plus, he can just flat out play in the field.

adamprez2003
04-10-2010, 08:34 PM
Dez Bryant's character concerns are worrisome. The NFL is brutal in its all business approach. Its rigid in its work demands. It requires people that can assimilate into a highly organized lifestyle. The problem with Dez is it seems he lacks structure in his life and very soon he will be given 10 million plus dollars. The temptation to live out his fantasies, coming from a poor background, will be astronomical. He seems overly trusting of people and there's a good chance that some people will be allowed into his inner circle that will seek to exploit him.

Will he be able to bear down and block out all the temptations? I have my doubts. And if he doesnt blossom right away, the media could be cruel to him. He doesnt seem like he handles criticism well

I dont know. Seems the risk is huge with the kid, though from a purely physical point of view, he's all world. I think Crabtree had a lower ceiling but a higher floor. Being an arrogant !@#$ wont prevent you from succeeding. Not being disciplined will

TACKLE
04-10-2010, 09:29 PM
On a serious note, Crabtree isn't as athletic as Bryant although I think some people underrated Michael's athleticism. Bryant's ability to stretch the field using not only good game speed and physicality widely surpasses Crabtree.

I don't think that's a fair statement. Crabtree's ability to stretch the field vertically was greatly limited by by his offense and his quarterback. Tech rarely threw the ball over 20 yards because Harrell had a very weak arm and Leach's offense is about getting rid of the ball quickly. Much of Crabtree's production was what he did after the catch - breaking tackles and make guys miss in space. Dez probably has better straight line speed but Crabs definitely had better short area quickness. Both have strong hands and are great in jump-ball situations. As far as physicality, it would be a push. Dez is probably a bit stronger but people forget how physical Crabtree was. He was tough with the ball in his hands and was a solid blocker.

I love what both guys bring to the table. Crabtree was my #1 rated prospect coming out last year. Dez is my #4 this year but obviously this year there are elite talents. I don't know if I can pick one. Its really tough for me to say who is the better prospect. They are so similar in a lot of ways.

GhostDeini
04-11-2010, 12:06 AM
Dez is more naturally talented IMO.

The way he snatches balls outta the air and over his shoulder is incredible. Crabs was more of a catch and run guy off of screens.

I also see Crabs as a finished product since I wasn't ever really wowed by any particular play he made in college. His buzz was about stats not about plays only he could've made.

On the other hand, Dez wakes up and pisses upside. Watching him return punts is enough to convince me he's more naturally talented than Crabs.

katnip
04-11-2010, 01:08 AM
If both were in the same draft, I'd rather have Dez Bryant