PDA

View Full Version : Clausen Pro-Day

Merlin
04-09-2010, 12:03 PM
Interesting, 57/59 and he said his fitness was only 75-85%, he also said he was a little tired, which isn't surprising all things considered, the two balls he/rec, missed, we're deep passes both to Robby Paris, one looked slightly over thrown, the second Paris stumbled, I'd rather see that then under thrown though.

A solid pro day.

He mentioned he was off to Indy tonight, not sure why?

He also said he was having PW's with the Rams and Redskins.

Complex
04-09-2010, 12:05 PM
He is going off to Indy to get his foot or toe w/e is hurt checked out.

georgiafan
04-09-2010, 12:28 PM
imagine that another QB doing great at a pro day

Scott Wright
04-09-2010, 12:42 PM
I heard from a source that there were 13 teams represented.

Just one head coach, Steve Spagnuolo of the Rams.

RWills
04-09-2010, 12:43 PM

Just 1 HC and only 13 teams for a supposed big prospect. It is looking more and more that he isn't so special as many make him out to be

gpngc
04-09-2010, 12:45 PM

They made a big deal about how Childress opted to stay in Florida to work out some Florida kids instead of going to South Bend.

The Vikes OC, however, did attend.

Addict
04-09-2010, 12:46 PM
Just 1 HC and only 13 teams for a supposed big prospect. It is looking more and more that he isn't so special as many make him out to be

or as if most guys feel they have enough of a feel for who he is and what he's about. Really pro day crowds aren't all that big a deal. Everyone pretty much knew how good or bad Clausen looks throwing the football. No one needs to confirm he can take snaps from the center or that he's fixed his throwing motion. He's already shown that his mechanics and skills are pro-style. So what need is there to visit?

keylime_5
04-09-2010, 12:48 PM
browns big three weren't there, but they did have some scouts there.

Oaktown1981
04-09-2010, 12:48 PM
Raiders had a rep at his pro day...

Adam Schefter said today he think Clausen will go to Oak or Buf

FUNBUNCHER
04-09-2010, 12:49 PM
Plenty of teams in the past have sent assistants to pro days to disguise their interest in a prospect, only to pull the trigger on them in the draft later.

I take more stock in the fact that 13 teams were at Clausen's pro day.

RaiderNation
04-09-2010, 01:06 PM
I will take Clausen over Campbell thats for sure

BufFan71
04-09-2010, 01:11 PM
Buffalo GM Buddy Nix was there.. Along with VP Tom Modrak

after his physical in indy, hes got a visit with Buffalo

Splat
04-09-2010, 01:16 PM
The draft is 13 days away I'm pretty sure teams all ready have a feel for him be it good or bad.

Addict
04-09-2010, 01:17 PM
The draft is 13 days away I'm pretty sure teams all ready have a feel for him be it good or bad.

exactly. Don't read too much into the presence or absence of teams @ pro days at this point.

Merlin
04-09-2010, 01:26 PM
Quarterback Jimmy Clausen threw for 45 minutes Friday in a scripted workout in front of representatives from 16 NFL teams. While he did not run the 40-yard dash, observers said Clausen appeared able to push off of his surgically repaired toe and drive the ball well on his throws.

Clausen, who left Notre Dame after his junior season and was unable to work out until now due to his toe injury, went directly from his pro day workout into a three-hour private workout for the Seattle Seahawks, who were represented Friday by offensive coordinator Jeremy Bates and quarterback coach Jedd Fisch. Clausen was scheduled to fly to Buffalo for a visit with the Bills after Friday’s workout.

The St. Louis Rams, who hold the No. 1 overall pick in the April 22 draft, sent a contingent to South Bend, Ind., that included GM Billy Devaney, head coach Steve Spagnuolo and offensive coordinator Pat Shurmur. Also in attendance were the Seahawks, who hold the sixth pick, the Cleveland Browns, who pick at No. 7, and the Buffalo Bills, who pick ninth.

Clausen measured in at 6-foot-3, same as at the NFL Scouting Combine, and weighed 224 pounds, up two from his combine weight.

– Gil Brandt
No link due to comments.

RWills
04-09-2010, 01:43 PM
Per Rotoworld

According to SI.com's Tony Pauline, Jimmy Clausen was "solid" at Friday's Pro Day but likely didn't convince any of his doubters that he is deserving of a top-ten draft selection.

Clausen's velocity, quick release, and downfield passes were all impressive, but his "timing seemed off at times," and he didn't blow anyone away with his ball placement. "This is in stark contrast to the workout turned in by Sam Bradford, when receivers rarely broke stride to make the reception," Pauline added. Where Clausen will be selected in 13 days is anyone's guess.

Matthew Jones
04-09-2010, 01:43 PM
The Bills were the most represented it seems, and to me it's looking like Clausen will probably go #9 come draft day. Lately I've felt like the Browns might be making a huge smokescreen though, they've been a little too publicly uninterested for a team with a big need at QB.

IrishBrowns
04-09-2010, 01:58 PM
Per Rotoworld

According to SI.com's Tony Pauline, Jimmy Clausen was "solid" at Friday's Pro Day but likely didn't convince any of his doubters that he is deserving of a top-ten draft selection.

Clausen's velocity, quick release, and downfield passes were all impressive, but his "timing seemed off at times," and he didn't blow anyone away with his ball placement. "This is in stark contrast to the workout turned in by Sam Bradford, when receivers rarely broke stride to make the reception," Pauline added. Where Clausen will be selected in 13 days is anyone's guess.

...yeah Clausens timing was off a little bit because he hasn't thrown in how long?? and hes not even completely healthy...he'll go to Buffalo at 9

JFLO
04-09-2010, 01:58 PM
The Bills were the most represented it seems, and to me it's looking like Clausen will probably go #9 come draft day. Lately I've felt like the Browns might be making a huge smokescreen though, they've been a little too publicly uninterested for a team with a big need at QB.

This is exactly right...

Mike Holmgren has pretty much dogged three different quarterbacks throughout the off-season (Tebow, Clausen and McCoy). I wouldn't be surprised at all if Clausen ultimately ends up in Cleveland.

I don't think it will happen, but it shouldn't surprise anyone.

Addict
04-09-2010, 02:00 PM

well so are the Bills... and the Browns do have a big hole at the position. Wouldn't shock me.

Aloysius
04-09-2010, 02:10 PM
browns big three weren't there, but they did have some scouts there.
Including their director of college scouting.

On his radio show last fall, Holmgren said that he values pro days less for the scripted throwing sessions, more for the opportunity to talk to the guys and see if there's "a connection" between himself & the quarterback. As if to confirm that, he spent a whole lot of time at Florida's pro day chatting with Tim Tebow.

Since Clausen recently visited the Browns, I'm not surprised that Holmgren skipped today's festivities.

fear the elf
04-09-2010, 02:27 PM

I've been worried about this since Holmgren came out and said that he wished he liked Clausen more. It makes me very nervous...

parcells
04-09-2010, 02:35 PM
Only 13 checking him out means nothing IMO. It's not a shocker that a majority of NFL teams are not in the market for a first round QB. Think about the fact that there are a number of excellent QBs in the league and then there are a bunch of young QBs who were high draft picks in the last year or two. When you add it up, all of the sudden it seems pretty obvious that less than half the teams in the league are in the market for a first round QB.

keylime_5
04-09-2010, 02:41 PM
I think the smokescreen was when Holmgren said he had a difficult time seeing picking a QB in the first two rounds. I don't think he'll take Clausen at 7, in fact I think a lot of teams in the top 10 are looking at passing on him gives more credibility to Holmgren's statements. He's not a guy known for taking QBs high. If he passes on him at 7 it looks like Clausen could very well be available in the 20s or even 30s.

NJCagefighter
04-09-2010, 02:43 PM
He looked good for sure and for someone coming off surgery and throwing to lousy targets like Parris and Grimes he is better then he looked imho.

His physical skillset is not an issue for sure.

Diehard
04-09-2010, 03:04 PM
I've been worried about this since Holmgren came out and said that he wished he liked Clausen more. It makes me very nervous...

... and it should.

When they packed Brady Quinn off to the Broncos, it very much opened the door to this possibility. Delhomme is a veteran caretaker, Wallace was a cheap pick up - neither one creates much of an argument against drafting a QB early.

Unbiased
04-09-2010, 03:12 PM
He had a PW with the Jags afterwards. Hope that went well.

Edit: He actually did NOT have a private workout with Jacksonville. He has met with them. I read the story wrong. Just wanted to clear that up.

thenewfeature06
04-09-2010, 03:12 PM

Probably because alot of teams already have there franchise quarterback. Only 13 teams doesn't mean much of anything.

RWills
04-09-2010, 03:13 PM
some more gas for the fire, per profootballtalk.com

'Since we weren't at Jimmy Clausen's Pro Day, we'll defer to NFL Network's Mike Mayock opinion on the proceedings.

"I saw everything I needed to see," Mayock said. "He had a strong arm. Good accuracy. I saw what I expected to see."

Mayock mentioned that Clausen's mechanics were improved from his junior season, especially with his feet. Clausen said his healed toe has helped him with his weight transfer.

NFL Network's Mike Lombardi thought Clausen had a much better workout than Brady Quinn did back in the day. SI's Tony Pauline was also in attendance, and was less impressed.

Few people seem to doubt Clausen's physical skills. Mayock also said he's getting "more comfortable" with Clausen as a person. He believes Clausen loves football, but didn't seem as sure whether Clausen is "a leader of men."

The most interesting opinion of the day from Mayock was about where Clausen will land in the draft. He sees Clausen as a "top ten talent" that won't get past San Francisco at pick No. 17.'

Poor Alex Smith if that does happen 2010 will be an audition to other teams

Bald_81
04-09-2010, 03:28 PM
I think if the Raiders are sold on him, they'll take him. This being the only uncapped year, they could rid themselves of Russell's massive contract and just cut their losses and get a new QB of the future in there. Unless Davis isn't ready to give up on Russell just yet (which seems likely seeing as how they tried hard for McNabb), I see Clausen going #8 to Oakland or one pick later to Buffalo.

NJCagefighter
04-09-2010, 04:24 PM
[QUOTE=RWills;2113709]some more gas for the fire, per profootballtalk.com

'. SI's Tony Pauline was also in attendance, and was less impressed.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.c...09/clausen/index.html

Does he forget that JC had surgery for torn tendons, hasn't been 100% in 7 months, was throwing to time me in days not seconds Robby Parris, etc?

This is yellow journalism at it's worse. Okay, I have no idea what yellow journalism means but it sounded good.

marshallb
04-09-2010, 08:28 PM
The Vikings Offensive Coordinator Darrell Bevell was there, Childress wasn't because he was at a camp he runs for kids in Florida and while he was there he was going to the Unviersity of Florida pro day. Here is what he had to say:

"I thought he made some nice throws," Bevell told the Associated Press. "He really did a good job for himself in terms of the types of balls that he threw. He threw some deep corner routes. He threw some comebacks. It gives you an opportunity to see how the ball comes out."

Oaktown1981
04-09-2010, 11:22 PM
I really hope the Raiders draft him and cut Russell..

Get draft OT in the 2nd round.

Flyboy
04-10-2010, 02:29 AM
I really want him to go to the Niners.. Clausen/Gore/Davis/Crabtree. Not a bad thing going on if that were to happen.

FUNBUNCHER
04-10-2010, 07:04 AM
I really want him to go to the Niners.. Clausen/Gore/Davis/Crabtree. Not a bad thing going on if that were to happen.

Yeah, but if the Niners draft Dez Bryant, I don't see how even Alex Smith could screw that up!!:rolleyes:

PoopSandwich
04-10-2010, 07:17 AM
I think the smokescreen was when Holmgren said he had a difficult time seeing picking a QB in the first two rounds. I don't think he'll take Clausen at 7, in fact I think a lot of teams in the top 10 are looking at passing on him gives more credibility to Holmgren's statements. He's not a guy known for taking QBs high. If he passes on him at 7 it looks like Clausen could very well be available in the 20s or even 30s.

And at the same time if he picks Clausen at 7 it must mean they really see something in him.

No matter what we do in the draft as far as the QB position is concerned I don't care because I trust Holmgren Heckert and Mangini along with all the scouts to get it right.

First time i've ever had confidence in our front office.

PickedOffTwice
04-10-2010, 07:39 AM
And at the same time if he picks Clausen at 7 it must mean they really see something in him.

No matter what we do in the draft as far as the QB position is concerned I don't care because I trust Holmgren Heckert and Mangini along with all the scouts to get it right.

First time i've ever had confidence in our front office.

Second that.

If we pick Clausen at #7, I could really live with that. Just because I have trust in what our leading trio does. If they think this is the best for the organisation, so be it.

keylime_5
04-10-2010, 06:38 PM
two moves that make sense - Berry to Chiefs at 5 and Clausen to Browns at 7 - are two of the only moves we've heard inside buzz against....Thomas Dimitrioff saying Pioli told him "you know how I feel about safeties that high" plus Holmgren saying "I wish I liked him more...I can't see myself [taking him at 7]." I find that interesting. You can either give Holmgren and Pioli the benefit of the doubt or you can assume it's a smokescreen by either. I think Pioli is more likely to take Berry than Holmgren is to take Clausen.

Babylon
04-10-2010, 07:57 PM
some more gas for the fire, per profootballtalk.com

'Since we weren't at Jimmy Clausen's Pro Day, we'll defer to NFL Network's Mike Mayock opinion on the proceedings.

"I saw everything I needed to see," Mayock said. "He had a strong arm. Good accuracy. I saw what I expected to see."

Mayock mentioned that Clausen's mechanics were improved from his junior season, especially with his feet. Clausen said his healed toe has helped him with his weight transfer.

NFL Network's Mike Lombardi thought Clausen had a much better workout than Brady Quinn did back in the day. SI's Tony Pauline was also in attendance, and was less impressed.

Few people seem to doubt Clausen's physical skills. Mayock also said he's getting "more comfortable" with Clausen as a person. He believes Clausen loves football, but didn't seem as sure whether Clausen is "a leader of men."

The most interesting opinion of the day from Mayock was about where Clausen will land in the draft. He sees Clausen as a "top ten talent" that won't get past San Francisco at pick No. 17.'

Poor Alex Smith if that does happen 2010 will be an audition to other teams

Mayock is like the pope giving everyone his blessing, getting half tired of his act.

Billyfromsphilly
04-11-2010, 01:10 AM
Mayock is like the pope giving everyone his blessing, getting half tired of his act.

Who is better ? He pretty much nails it all the time.