PDA

View Full Version : So Who Was a Workout Warrior...

NJCagefighter
04-09-2010, 04:38 PM
found success in the NFL?

Whew, sorry for a newbie I sure have a long winded query. LOL.

Anyway, we know about the Mamula's and the DHB's and this year we are looking at Bruce Campbell.

Can you name a few that succeeded to a larger level then a Mamula?

ThePudge
04-09-2010, 04:47 PM
Well Brian Cushing was thought to not have put it together completely on the field but I think that was more due to injuries than anything. Interesting question though & I'll be interested to hearing some responses because I've turned off my brain for the time being.

Crickett
04-09-2010, 04:57 PM
I would say Mario Williams, Jay Cutler and Vernon Davis. Especially Williams who got a LOT of Mike Mamula comparisons pre-2006 draft.

PrimetimeTheDon
04-09-2010, 05:01 PM
Shawne Merriman
Antonio Cromartie
Stacy Andrews
Chris Johnson
Lawrence Timmons
Luis Castillo

People will mention Vernon Davis but he was very productive.

FrankGore
04-09-2010, 05:01 PM
Haloti Ngata did not seem very impressive at all when I watched him at Oregon - maybe I just caught him on a few bad days, but he was nowhere near what I expected. I knew he was a monster athletically/physically but something was just missing. He's been an absolute beast for the Ravens, obviously.

And yeah, Vernon Davis actually produced quite a bit at Maryland where there was no passing game. The only area where he actually didn't seem to produce too well was his blocking.

Bengalsrocket
04-09-2010, 05:10 PM
Yea, I'm pretty sure Davis averaged more yards per a catch than any other tight end in college history or something. Even so though, I think people were so impressed by his work out numbers that his stats didn't even matter.

PrimetimeTheDon
04-09-2010, 05:11 PM
Well, I'm not Vernon Davis expert, but people in SanFran will tell you Vernon is the best run blocking TE in the league.

FUNBUNCHER
04-09-2010, 05:57 PM
VD is the total package; blocks like a down lineman with the ability to put up WR #s in the passing game.

I'd say Willie Parker was something of a workout warrior coming out of UNC, considering he never started there and was I think a prep AA.

katnip
04-11-2010, 01:17 AM
wasn't Brodrick Bunkley one? I remember he benched at the combine like 40+ reps

TheSlinger
04-11-2010, 01:23 AM
I'd suggest Joe Flacco.

Thumper
04-11-2010, 01:30 AM
wasn't Brodrick Bunkley one? I remember he benched at the combine like 40+ reps

Yeah, he was insane at the combine. But he absolutely tore it up at Florida State his junior year, 9 sacks and 25 TFL in his Junior year (which BTW was his first season of play).

SenorGato
04-11-2010, 02:16 AM
Haloti Ngata did not seem very impressive at all when I watched him at Oregon - maybe I just caught him on a few bad days, but he was nowhere near what I expected. I knew he was a monster athletically/physically but something was just missing. He's been an absolute beast for the Ravens, obviously.

And yeah, Vernon Davis actually produced quite a bit at Maryland where there was no passing game. The only area where he actually didn't seem to produce too well was his blocking.

Since Ngata did well from Day 1 it's often forgotten that he could be a blob on the field at times in college.

It's why I don't get why people don't buy Cody in the NFL. Everything that was said bad about Ngata when there were bad things to say is said about Cody today. Cody arguably has a better resume.

Other workout warriors:

DeMarcus Ware
Vollmer
Winston Justice
Mario Williams
Vernon Davis
Chris Johnson
Luis Castillo
Merriman
Freeney
Haynesworth
Andre Johnson
Kevin Williams
Dustin Keller
Dallas Clark
Ben Roethlisberger
Jay Cutler (?)
Lee Evans
Donte Whitner
Ronnie Brown
Thomas Davis
Roddy White
Broderick Bunkley
Chad Greenway
Manny Lawson (?)
Is Revis one?
Patrick Willis
Sedrick Ellis
Will Smith
Jerod Mayo
Ryan Clady
Duane Brown
Jeff Otah
Clay Matthews

It's actually not uncommon. Maybe a couple of those guys aren't workout warriors, but in many ways they all were.

LickaMahfeetz
04-11-2010, 02:41 AM
VD is the total package; blocks like a down lineman with the ability to put up WR #s in the passing game.

I'd say Willie Parker was something of a workout warrior coming out of UNC, considering he never started there and was I think a prep AA.
Yeah but Willie Parker went undrafted. I don't think he qualifies.

LickaMahfeetz
04-11-2010, 02:43 AM
Since Ngata did well from Day 1 it's often forgotten that he could be a blob on the field at times in college.

It's why I don't get why people don't buy Cody in the NFL. Everything that was said bad about Ngata when there were bad things to say is said about Cody today. Cody arguably has a better resume.

Other workout warriors:

DeMarcus Ware
Vollmer
Winston Justice
Mario Williams
Vernon Davis
Chris Johnson
Luis Castillo
Merriman
Freeney
Haynesworth
Andre Johnson
Kevin Williams
Dustin Keller
Dallas Clark
Ben Roethlisberger
Jay Cutler (?)
Lee Evans
Donte Whitner
Ronnie Brown
Thomas Davis
Roddy White
Broderick Bunkley
Chad Greenway
Manny Lawson (?)
Is Revis one?
Patrick Willis
Sedrick Ellis
Will Smith
Jerod Mayo
Ryan Clady
Duane Brown
Jeff Otah
Clay Matthews

It's actually not uncommon. Maybe a couple of those guys aren't workout warriors, but in many ways they all were.
I don't agree with a lot of that list at all. Just a small handful, if that. Many of those guys were very good and/or productive on the field before they ever saw a combine or workout numbers.

thetedginnshow
04-11-2010, 03:22 AM
Almost everyone named so far had a good collegiate resume.

Addict
04-11-2010, 06:08 AM
Almost everyone named so far had a good collegiate resume.

almost everyone picked in the NFL draft has a good college resumé, save the occasional one-year wonder.

also: Deion Sanders?

thetedginnshow
04-11-2010, 03:17 PM
almost everyone picked in the NFL draft has a good college resumé, save the occasional one-year wonder.

also: Deion Sanders?

I guess the use of the word "good" may have led you to understate my comment, but what I was trying to say is that the majority of the players that were listed were men amongst boys. A good deal of those guys were 1st Team All-Conference selections, which in my mind, doesn't classify you as a "workout warrior". That's more for the guys that were good (or even below average), not great players, that are mainly being drafted on projection.