PDA

View Full Version : How many drafts have you watched? Favorite moment?

Donkey Punch
04-09-2010, 10:02 PM
I have watched every NFL draft since 1994 (16 years...wow!) and my favorite moment was the first year I watched it when the Colts took Trev Alberts instead of Trent Dilfer. Mel Kiper ripped the pick so Bill Tobin, who was the Colts GM at the time, comes on the air and rips Kiper by saying "who the hell is Mel Kiper anyway? He's never work a jock strap and has no more business analyzing my picks than my neighbor and my neighbor is a post man." I was hooked from that moment on.

Brent
04-09-2010, 10:24 PM
well if they took Trent Dilfer that would have been an equally bad pick

jnew76
04-09-2010, 10:35 PM
Most memorable moment was watching the time expire as the vikings were on the clock in 03 and the mad scramble that ensued. Seeing Chris Berman, Chris Mortenson, and Mel Kiper dumbfounded and an entire live telecast almost implode before my very eyes was classic in every way.

I also ponder a question right now as well, if the Rams wanted Bradford, but would settle for Suh, or McCoy, why not let their time expire and watch Detroit and Tampa try and figure out who is going to blink first as Detroit is on the clock? I think it would be genius to have my three names in the guys hand next to the podium and have him aware of all the contingencies that could transpire and be able to select 2nd or 3rd in an attempt to pay less of a bonus to their pick. Not at all likely to happen, but I think there may come a scenario soon where something like this could happen.

cajuncorey
04-09-2010, 10:38 PM
ted ginn jr being picked over quinn and some old lady getting pissed as well as the dolphin nation

Creek
04-09-2010, 10:43 PM
well if they took Trent Dilfer that would have been an equally bad pick

You mean Super Bowl winning quaterback Trent Dilfer?

(Trev Alberts blows)

ericzedwards
04-09-2010, 10:53 PM
The Vikes missing their pick was absolutely classic. I also loved last year when the ESPN crew had absolutely NO information--much less video highlights--on Mike Mitchell when the Raiders took him in the second round, because he wasn't thought to be a draftable prospect. That was awesome.

RWills
04-09-2010, 11:00 PM
How about the Jets passing Warren Sapp, that was classic

FrankGore
04-09-2010, 11:11 PM
For my own team - seeing Vernon Davis, Patrick Willis and Michael Crabtree all slip to our spot and get picked by us.

Other teams - Raiders taking Bey, Vikings pick expiring, Dolphins taking Ginn over Quinn, just to name a few. There's usually something that gets me ROFLing.

RWills
04-09-2010, 11:14 PM
The Camera focusing in on Quinn waiting with each pick

Mr. Goosemahn
04-09-2010, 11:14 PM
The first draft I ever saw was the 2007 one. The first draft I saw with knowledge about it was the 2008 one.

So I guess my favorite moment was when we managed to land Mendenhall and Sweed in 08. Especially the Sweed pick. :(

Mr. Goosemahn
04-09-2010, 11:15 PM
The Camera focusing in on Quinn waiting with each pick

Lol, Goodell inviting him to his private chambers or whatever the room was called so he didn't have to face the cameras for so long.

ironman4579
04-09-2010, 11:18 PM
Most memorable moment was watching the time expire as the vikings were on the clock in 03 and the mad scramble that ensued. Seeing Chris Berman, Chris Mortenson, and Mel Kiper dumbfounded and an entire live telecast almost implode before my very eyes was classic in every way.

I also ponder a question right now as well, if the Rams wanted Bradford, but would settle for Suh, or McCoy, why not let their time expire and watch Detroit and Tampa try and figure out who is going to blink first as Detroit is on the clock? I think it would be genius to have my three names in the guys hand next to the podium and have him aware of all the contingencies that could transpire and be able to select 2nd or 3rd in an attempt to pay less of a bonus to their pick. Not at all likely to happen, but I think there may come a scenario soon where something like this could happen.

This was discussed by Lions fans last year. You'd have a huge fight with the agent, who'd want whoever the Rams ended up taking to get #1 overall money regardless of if they ended up picking him 2nd or 3rd. The let the clock run out strategy seems like a good idea, but I don't think it would actually work.

Although it would be hilarious to see, and definately a classic moment.

RWills
04-09-2010, 11:19 PM
Curtis Martin's draft which was 94, 95 can't remember was my first. My first draft that I actually tried to research was Terry Glenn's draft which I think was 95, 96

boknows34
04-09-2010, 11:23 PM
You mean Super Bowl winning quaterback Trent Dilfer?

(Trev Alberts blows)

And ironically enough they both ended up working for ESPN once they retired from football.

JoeJoeBrown
04-09-2010, 11:25 PM
My favorite moment was when the Browns drafted Sam Bowie instead of Michael Jordan. No, wait, that was Tim Couch instead of Donovan McNabb.

Or was it when the Browns drafted Gerard Warren instead of Ladanian Tomlison? It all gets so confusing.

Actually, my favorite moment was watching Brady Quinn sit there with his fake blonde lady friend for most of the first round. I'm just sad that the Browns moved up to get him.

Brent
04-09-2010, 11:25 PM
You mean Super Bowl winning quarterback Trent Dilfer?
For being the 6th overall pick, yes, I stand by what I said.

That said, Crabtree falling to the Niners was, as far as recent history goes, one of the best moments for me.

Oaktown1981
04-09-2010, 11:27 PM
1991 was the 1st year I watched the entire draft..

Mr. Goosemahn
04-09-2010, 11:37 PM

Last year was the first time I watched the entire draft. Every single pick.

akvikefan89
04-09-2010, 11:41 PM
My team (Vikings): When I heard "The Minnesota Vikings select... Adrian Peterson..." I was dancing around my house like a kid in a candy store.

Other team/s: When the Packers drafted Justin Harrell.

(NSFW language outburst):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W_dBns0i2vw

ninerfan
04-10-2010, 12:07 AM
That said, Crabtree falling to the Niners was, as far as recent history goes, one of the best moments for me.

The better moment was about 30 mins prior when the Raiders took DHB and Crabs was laughing on tv. What made it better was that i knew he falling to us

WCH
04-10-2010, 12:13 AM
The most memorable moment was watching Leeland McElroy sit in NY until round two, in 1996. We see guys like Rodgers, Quinn, and Leinart sit and stew; but Christ! This guy was projected really high and fell to round two!

It hurt to watch.

falloutboy14
04-10-2010, 12:15 AM
I enjoy watching when the Jets are up, since the audience gets all excited. Last year when the Jets traded up to 5, they got all excited, knowing that Sanchez was on the board. Meanwhile you're left with anticipation whether they'll take the QB, or some shmoe. The Heyward-Bey pick last year was entertaining as well.

My favorite part of the draft I think is when you get to the 6th-7th round and there's all the down-time. On NFLN, they have people name the most unknown player they can like, the back-up fullback at a college no ones ever heard of. To see if Mayock can figure out who it is, and if they have video on the player.

VUBlacknGold
04-10-2010, 12:33 AM
I gave my friend a concussion back when i was a packer fan after the harrell pick, whoops, my bad lol. Id say watching Vernon Davis cry, yea, that made me feel really good about him

wordofi
04-10-2010, 12:52 AM
When the Vikings took Tarvaris Jackson and Ryan Cook, both in the second round, when they both had 6th-7th round grades.

umphrey
04-10-2010, 01:05 AM
Getting Aaron Rodgers at 24. My love of that moment grows every year.

VUBlacknGold
04-10-2010, 01:12 AM

i remember when the raiders jumped infront i thought they would draft rodgers just to draft, fabian washington from nebraska, lol. Horrible

Addict
04-10-2010, 04:41 AM
i remember when the raiders jumped infront i thought they would draft rodgers just to draft, fabian washington from nebraska, lol. Horrible

dude ran a 4.28 didn't he?

AntoinCD
04-10-2010, 04:56 AM
I really liked seeing footage of Joe Thomas getting a call from the Browns when he was on a boat fishing. And also the Ted Ginn Jr pick. Everyone was just like 'what the hell???'

M.O.T.H.
04-10-2010, 05:31 AM
The first time I ever saw the draft was in 1997. The first full draft I watched was the following year, I wanted Randy Moss for Dallas so bad. It's not like I even knew all that much about him, he was just being talked up to Dallas a lot. I started really getting serious about the draft at that point, havent missed a minute since.

My favorite moment is actually recent...Drafting Felix Jones and Mike Jenkins in the 1st round, two years ago. That was my ideal draft and I was freaking thrilled when we landed both.

Worst moment...besides passing on Moss...passing on Steven Jackson. I was ecstatic that Jackson fell to us. They were showing him on the phone when Dallas was up, saying how the Cowboys were his favorite team...blah, blah, blah. Bam! pick traded to Buffalo.

Donkey Punch
04-10-2010, 08:57 AM

So there is someone on this board order than me! :)

PoopSandwich
04-10-2010, 09:29 AM
When Quinn fell and we traded up for him I was pretty happy.

LOL

DeepThreat
04-10-2010, 09:33 AM
Without a doubt when the Browns drafted Joe Thomas. I was crying tears of joy.

Splat
04-10-2010, 09:35 AM
http://i40.tinypic.com/2mgrz91.png

Thread...

Addict
04-10-2010, 09:36 AM
So there is someone on this board order than me! :)

how 'bout CJ?

Rob S
04-10-2010, 09:42 AM
Man, it was hysterical when the Bills took Tim Tebow at 9.....

NIN1984
04-10-2010, 10:23 AM
The first draft I remember watching was 1997, but I didn't become a huge draft fan until 2002, that's when I watched the whole draft, every pick.

Splat
04-10-2010, 10:25 AM
I think I look forward to the draft more then the SB even.

jnew76
04-10-2010, 10:33 AM
I think I look forward to the draft more then the SB even.

Yup, after the draft and prior the the college/NFL season are my most personally productive months of the year by far. I hate them because I am not pre-occupied with football 24 hours a day.

M.O.T.H.
04-10-2010, 10:37 AM
The draft is def. the main event for me, unless Dallas was in the Super Bowl. Typically, I dont give a damn about the SB.

zachsaints52
04-10-2010, 10:38 AM
My first draft was when the Saints traded up to number 4 and they selected Johnathan Sullivan. I was like...... seriously?

ThePudge
04-10-2010, 10:40 AM
I started actually getting myself down to watch the entire draft by 1999, when I was 9. First draft I watched bits and pieces of was 1998. This year will be my sixth in New York at the draft (so since 2005).

Best moment: The Lions taking Mike Williams in the first 10 picks of the 05' draft. The atmosphere at the Javits Center completely transformed from there.

BlueBandit24
04-10-2010, 11:01 AM
The first time I actually paid attention to the draft was 1998. I missed the Vikings pick because my mom was making me do homework at the time, but my friend called to tell me the Vikings had taken Moss. I was pumped because I remembered Moss hurdling people at Marshall in his Dr. Seuss green socks.

I was pumped the next year when we landed Culpepper too. Dimitrius Underwood did not work out so well that year.

Malaka
04-10-2010, 11:06 AM
I have only been watching since 07' but DHB made me lol pretty hard last year as did Miami and Brady Quinn even though I'd rather have Ginn than Quinn right now.

Brent
04-10-2010, 11:16 AM
The 1999 draft was the first one I paid attention to. In 2000, I had an equally minor interest, but 2001 was the first one which I watched in its entirety.

CC.SD
04-10-2010, 11:23 AM
http://www.sportsrejects.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/06/ryan_leaf-223x300.jpg

The best part is I thought Indy had really blown the pick...

Grizzlegom
04-10-2010, 11:25 AM
ted ginn jr being picked over quinn and some old lady getting pissed as well as the dolphin nation

I hate you. haha, that might have evolved into my favorite pick though as the announcement of the drafting of the Ted Ginn family has become the subject of so many jokes between my friends and I that its become a classic.

my actualy favorite moment was the entire 2008 draft. I went and I must say, the experience of attending the draft was one that I will never forget, totally worth every second.

contento
04-10-2010, 11:43 AM
I loved watching the akwardness of Quan Cosby sitting on the couch next to Bill Cosby.

As the rounds ticked by and it became more apparent Quan wouldn't get drafted the akwardness increased to "mom caught me whacking it" levels!!!

Complex
04-10-2010, 11:49 AM
My favorite draft moments are:
The Chargers selected Eli Manning seeing his face was priceless, I think he cried.
When Brady Quinn Fell it was funny.
When I said that the Titans would select Vince Young/LenDale White and I was right.

Worst:
Titans selecting Andre Woolfolk.
The 2002 NFL when the Titans Selected Albert Haynesworth instead of Ed Reed I was upset. Both players turned out to be good so I am ok with it now.
When the Titans didn't select Kelly Washington at all. ( I was wrong about him good thing we did not draft him)

The first draft I watched was the 2002 draft and been watching since then.

TheMorningZoo
04-10-2010, 12:05 PM
First started watching the Draft in '03, but really got into it in '05. Best memory for me was when as mentioned above, we drafted Eli and he pouted and looked sad. But then when the Giants drafted Rivers and the trade went down-that basically got us to where our Franchise is today!

bored of education
04-10-2010, 12:09 PM
I've been watching the draft since about 1996. I used to do mock drafts of the 2nd day without really knowing the guys and not interwebs. I would save all my USA Todays from the previous season and look at stats and read about guys that had big games, also I would watch every game possible and have a notebook of stuff just pointing out guys I liked and what not.

I has a life

Babylon
04-10-2010, 12:46 PM
Favorite moments would be when the draft started on a tuesday around 6AM here on the west coast. My wife used to say i was nuts for taking a day out of work to go to a bar at that time of the day to watch a football draft.

Specific year would be 81 when the Seahawks drafted the great Kenny Easely with the 4th pick (who said safeties cant get drafted early). Funniest part of that draft though was standing next to Jim Zorn when the Hawks drafted a guy named David Hughes out of Boise St. and literally nobody had ever heard of him.

vidae
04-10-2010, 12:50 PM
My favorite moment was in the 2009 draft when we took Tyson Jackson 3rd overall.

themaninblack
04-10-2010, 01:15 PM
The first draft I really watched was probably 2002 when we drafted Levi Jones with the tenth pick. I just remember everyone being all up in arms about it when it happened and he ended up having a good career in stripes.

My favorite moment was probably in 2005 when we drafted David Pollack with the 17th pick. I remember being pissed when Carolina took Thomas Davis, somehow forgetting that my absolute favorite college player ever was still on the board. When we picked him I was the most excited I've ever been with a pick, which is only rivaled with last year's selection of Rey Maualuga in the second. I was also very happy when we took another Dawg in the second in Odell Thurman. Man, I wish those two would've worked out for us.

ericzedwards
04-10-2010, 01:55 PM
Actually, now that I think about it, my favorite NFL Draft moment wasn't actually during the draft. It was when I was sitting in a bar last year and saw it flash across ESPN that the Bears had just taken Jay Cutler with their next two first round picks, essentially. I started screaming with joy and looking like a jackass and told my girlfriend at the time that I was going to buy her a Jay Cutler jersey and make her wear it in bed. Then I proceeded to talk about Jay Cutler and nothing else for the next few months. That girl and I are no longer together.

yourfavestoner
04-10-2010, 02:00 PM
My favorite draft moment by far was ESPN showing Pacman Jones and his family right after he got drafted by Tennessee. It looked like a Lil Jon music video.

Draft King
04-10-2010, 02:02 PM
When Atlanta traded up to get Jimmy Williams, who I thought was the best CB in the class. FML.

GaMeTiMe
04-10-2010, 02:19 PM
My favorite draft moment by far was ESPN showing Pacman Jones and his family right after he got drafted by Tennessee. It looked like a Lil Jon music video.

YES, YES, YES. I remember this. Some girl kept trying to jump in front of him and shake her ass in front of the camera if I remember correctly. He was just holding up his Pacman chain nodding his head.

Flyboy
04-10-2010, 03:04 PM
YES, YES, YES. I remember this. Some girl kept trying to jump in front of him and shake her ass in front of the camera if I remember correctly. He was just holding up his Pacman chain nodding his head.

Oh man, that is GOLD. There needs to be YouTube footage of this.

PhysicalwithanF
04-10-2010, 03:23 PM
Two moments:

1. When the pack took AJ Hawk so Vernon Davis fell into our laps..my heart was beating through my chest when they were on the clock.
2. When the Raiders took DHB and I suddenly realized Crabs was gonna be on the board.

BuffaloBillsFan
04-10-2010, 04:00 PM

Ditto!!
(10 char)

DeathbyStat
04-10-2010, 04:09 PM
watched since 1998

Fav moments,

the fall of randy moss

steelers picking Big Ben

Rosenhaus getting mcgahee drafted high

Brandy quinn's fall

BufFan71
04-10-2010, 04:56 PM
favorite moment

when the dolphins took ted ginn, and everyone laughed and boo'd

worst moment. Buffalo drafting Donte Whitner 8th overall

Crickett
04-10-2010, 05:10 PM
I enjoy watching when the Jets are up, since the audience gets all excited.

That was my favorite part too. People always make fun of the J-E-T-S JETS JETS JETS chant, but being part of it is 100% grade-a awesomeness.

Prior to his selection, people were chanting his name, but when he was selected, the overrated chants pissed me off. Rodgers should have gone #1.

SeanTaylorRIP
04-10-2010, 05:15 PM
My favorite moment is watching Brady Quinn sweat it out with his gel dripping all over his suit, lol.

LickaMahfeetz
04-10-2010, 06:04 PM
My first serious draft, watching the entire thing and having some intimate knowledge of what was going on was back in 1989 and that was one helluva draft. Been stuck on it ever since and Bored of Education, your post brings back some memories!

Yeah I'm kinda old =p.

FrankGore
04-10-2010, 06:11 PM
How about this one - completely and utterly painful in retrospect.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kx6u5DhuGxw

holt_bruce81
04-10-2010, 06:17 PM
first started watching it as a casual draft fan in 2003. first started watching every minute of it and actually had some knowledge of the players being selected was in 2005.

Favorite moment was when my boy Brad Smith got picked by the J-E-T-S Jets Jets Jets!

Crickett
04-10-2010, 06:24 PM
Favorite moment was when my boy Brad Smith got picked by the J-E-T-S Jets Jets Jets!

I'm glad your enjoyed that moment, because at the time, I was facepalming that the Jets had just passed on Brandon Marshall for a quarterback to convert to wide receiver.

Creek
04-10-2010, 06:58 PM
How about this one - completely and utterly painful in retrospect.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kx6u5DhuGxw

I think this Madden game might be cursed...

LizardState
04-10-2010, 10:20 PM
When they did a Joe Theisman (kiss of death right there) feature in 1993 on What Makes an NFL Franchise QB, with game footage breakdowns on & interviews with Rich Mirer & ...... wait for it ..... Ryan Leaf as textbook definitions of future franchise QBs.

Mirer at least played for 7 yrs, then came back after a hiatus to play for 3 different teams in his last season. Ryan Leaf's meltdown & bust was epic, became the textbook definition for Overdrafted QB instead of Franchise QB.

ESPN's draft coverage has been suspect ever since.

Clarkw267
04-10-2010, 11:46 PM
As a Lions fan.. the draft is our Super Bowl.

People have already mentioned some of the great moments.

Mike Williams over Merriman and Ware was classic. Everyone where I was at were in disbelief.

1 seemingly good moment at the time was when we fleeced the Browns to move down 1 spot from 6 to 7 and got a 2nd rounder. All so they could take the soldier. I was so happy when that happened.. Then I realized that Millen still had to make the picks...

We came out of the 1st round with Roy Williams and Kevin Jones.... and neither are with the team.

adamprez2003
04-11-2010, 01:17 AM
I used to love watching the Jets picks back in the day. They've improved a bit since the glory days of blunders. Roger Vick, Johnny Mitchell, Jeff Lageman and Ken OBrien over Dan Marino lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rZxNeFLuY98

RealityCheck
04-11-2010, 09:48 AM
2008. We were picking #7 and I wanted Gholston bad. Then the Jets took him, I was mad. Two years later, I'm thanking God for that. Then we traded down to #10, and I wanted DRC so bad (I had a huge, huge, huge mancrush on him) and we took Jerod Mayo who I had ranked as a 2nd round pick. I was like "fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu".

But I got happy when we took O'Connell in the third round. Who's now the 5th stringer on the Jets.

Go Cowboys
04-11-2010, 11:52 AM
The first year I remember watching is when Mike Ditka sold his entire draft so that the Saints could trade up to draft Ricky Williams. The thing is I remember the interview he had with Kiper and the rest of ESPN, he was in a T-shirt and shorts, looked like he had just been at the beach for a few hours, and made the draft over the phone from the beach.

All Time favorite moment was when the Vikings decided they didn't want to pick for thier time, I watched with a ton of laughter and all the members of the crew sat around dumbfounded, not to mention the people in the stands watching the draft, just the sheer agony the vikings fans had watching that happen.

I was about to post and just remembered the Caleb Campbell moment a few years back, a saftey from Army who hasn't even been drafted yet was getting a lot of hype as he was one of the top 50 guys left or something like that, so they bring him in to interview, Chants of U-S-A ringing through all of the place.
When he was drafted by the Lions I felt pretty good about the Lions and the NFL not to mention the Armed Services because of the whole they changed the rule to let people go straight to professional (They had done so that year if I remember). But go figure the Army couldn't do without one guy as a recruiter and he never got a chance, when I heard that I was pretty disappointed that he didn't even get a shot.