PDA

View Full Version : Interesting Reporter Mock

BeerBaron
04-10-2010, 04:44 PM
http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/sc-spt-0411-farmer-nfl--20100410,0,1734979,full.story

I just thought it was interesting and worth sharing. They contacted a newspaper writer who regularly covers each team and asked them to make the pick for their team in the first round, as well as a line or two of reasoning from the person.

Just some of my thoughts:

No real big surprises in the top 9, but McClain to the Jags was interesting I thought. I haven't seen him projected there anywhere before.

Pouncey going 11 seems a little high, though that did just happen in the forum mock too, so I'm starting to believe it's reasonable. With so many teams changing to the 3-4 and the center being called on to make line calls and such on a lot of teams, a top flight center is becoming more and more critical to have.

Patrick Robinson to the Packers seems about 15-20 picks too high for him...I think they'd go Kyle Wilson if they take a CB.

With the talk of Dan Williams possibly climbing to the top 10, him going 26 seems a little surprising. The Cards get a steal if he's there.

The Jets get a total steal in Graham. I fully believe he will rack up the most sacks over his first 5 years than anyone else in this class. That's not to say other guys won't be good, but I think he could be great. Exact polar opposite of Gholston in every way. If they could merge the two together, they've have an ungodly superhuman player....or the universe might implode...

Taylor Mays falls out of the first round. I don't think it'll happen, but honestly, i wouldn't be shocked if it did.

TheSlinger
04-10-2010, 04:51 PM
No real big surprises in the top 9, but McClain to the Jags was interesting I thought. I haven't seen him projected there anywhere before.

I think McClain is among my most overrated player in the draft especially in a 4-3 so I would hate the pick, but it's been talked about a lot. Coach JDR obv loves linebackers (he was one), and they've come out and said that they're looking for a MLB so that they can keep Daryl Smith and Justin Durant at OLB. He supposedly loves McClain too.

BeerBaron
04-10-2010, 04:55 PM
I think McClain is among my most overrated player in the draft especially in a 4-3 so I would hate the pick, but it's been talked about a lot. Coach JDR obv loves linebackers (he was one), and they've come out and said that they're looking for a MLB so that they can keep Daryl Smith and Justin Durant at OLB. He supposedly loves McClain too.

Yeah, that'd be high to take him for the 4-3 I'd think. If it was the 3-4 where he would do more blitzing and stuff, it wouldn't be a bad pick, but for the 4-3, especially in the division the Jags are in...it's be questionable.

keylime_5
04-10-2010, 06:18 PM
If Berry is gone then I think that's probably what the Browns should do. I'm not sure though, they like Colt McCoy an awful lot and could get a guy like Earl Thomas or Jared Odrick instead (despite bad value).

yourfavestoner
04-10-2010, 06:26 PM

I would throw something through my TV if that happened.

Agree that he's the most overrated player in the draft, and I agree that he'd be worthless at MLB in the Jags' Cover Two scheme.

Texas Homer
04-10-2010, 06:32 PM
I like Earl Thomas to the Texans.

Brent
04-10-2010, 06:39 PM
I like this mock because I think that beat writers are going to have a better read on the teams than the majority of internet people. Also, this would be a huge first round for the Niners. I would hate to see CJ Spiller land in the NFCW. Same goes for Dan Williams.

BaLLiN
04-10-2010, 07:44 PM
dont like jpp to giants unless osi is traded, makes no sense to have so much invested into the DE position: Tuck, Osi, Kiwi, probably Sintim and now JPP?

Personally if we did trade Osi though and got good value while picking JPP, id have much less problem with it.

PoopSandwich
04-11-2010, 12:07 AM
If Berry is gone then I think that's probably what the Browns should do. I'm not sure though, they like Colt McCoy an awful lot and could get a guy like Earl Thomas or Jared Odrick instead (despite bad value).

Or Dez Bryant + McCoy in round 2 and shore up the defense with a billion 3rd+ round picks.

J-Mike88
04-11-2010, 07:30 AM
I would throw something through my TV if that happened.
And if the Packers take Patrick Robinson over Brandon Graham, or Kyle Wilson, I also will throw something through my TV.
Ted Thompson has made picks like that before that have pizzed me off, so for the sake of my TV, maybe I am better off golfing during the draft. Or going fishing like Joe Thomas did during his draft.

Addict
04-11-2010, 08:32 AM
And if the Packers take Patrick Robinson over Brandon Graham, or Kyle Wilson, I also will throw something through my TV.
Ted Thompson has made picks like that before that have pizzed me off, so for the sake of my TV, maybe I am better off golfing during the draft. Or going fishing like Joe Thomas did during his draft.

that was awesome. I loved the guy the second he said "meh, I won't go to NYC, I'll go fishing with my dad instead". That was fantastic.

LonghornsLegend
04-11-2010, 10:31 AM
Sometimes beat writers are out of the loop also. Charles Brown is a good pick that I would be fine with because I think he can be a great LT, but Jerry cut Flozell because he feels Free is good enough there, better then any rookie, and saves alot of money, not because he wants to risk throwing a rookie at LT in a season your trying to make a SB run in.

Regardless of how people feel, Free is going to get a chance to either suceed, or fall flat on his face at LT, were not going to take one in the 1st round.

BeerBaron
04-11-2010, 01:18 PM
Sometimes beat writers are out of the loop also. Charles Brown is a good pick that I would be fine with because I think he can be a great LT, but Jerry cut Flozell because he feels Free is good enough there, better then any rookie, and saves alot of money, not because he wants to risk throwing a rookie at LT in a season your trying to make a SB run in.

Regardless of how people feel, Free is going to get a chance to either suceed, or fall flat on his face at LT, were not going to take one in the 1st round.

Eh, I'm leery of absolutes in any part of life, but especially in the draft. If one of the top guys were to fall a bit...Okung, Baluga, Williams, Davis....the value might just be too good not to take the guy.

If they like Free, then good, but if the right guy is available, some healthy competition never hurt anything....

eaglesalltheway
04-11-2010, 01:29 PM
I have to say i really like Wilson going ot the Eagles, though I can't see how GB or another team in the 18-22 range wouldn't seriously consider him.