PDA

View Full Version : thoughts on Jonathan Dwyer?

katnip
04-11-2010, 02:06 PM
Scott Wright has him as a 2nd or 3rd rounder. If he were to fall to the 3rd I'd take him as Jets fan.

Wasn't he considered as a Heisman dark horse before last season? Or a favorite to rack up huge numbers

Wrathman
04-11-2010, 02:18 PM
3rd or 4th round.

Babylon
04-11-2010, 02:21 PM
Scott Wright has him as a 2nd or 3rd rounder. If he were to fall to the 3rd I'd take him as Jets fan.

Wasn't he considered as a Heisman dark horse before last season? Or a favorite to rack up huge numbers

What's probably going to push him to the 3rd is the depth of big backs who all outperformed him at the combine. I'd have him behind:

Mathews
Gerhart
Hardesty
Tate
Dixon

V.I.P
04-11-2010, 02:22 PM
I don't know about about the 4th, but the earliest i see him going is late 2nd to a team like The Seahawks. He can go as late as mid 3rd round.

Crickett
04-11-2010, 02:24 PM

Not after drafting Shonn Greene last year.

A Perfect Score
04-11-2010, 02:48 PM
I'd much rather have Dwyer in the 2nd then Matthews in the 1st.

TheMorningZoo
04-11-2010, 03:02 PM
Dwyer is getting overanalyzed, happens with prospects eery year. He was originally a 1st Rounder, then dropped to 2nd, now is considered a 2nd/3rd. He was the ACC Offensive Player of the year and racked up a lot of yeards. Reason he is dropping is due to three reasons: 1) Slow 40, 2) Gimmicky Option Offense, 3) Didn't look in "shape"

I still think he is a solid Back, and the #3/4 depending on who you like with him and Best at that spot

ericzedwards
04-11-2010, 08:54 PM
I like Dwyer a lot. I got to see a lot of his games, and I think the weight issue is a bigger problem than the offensive scheme. I don't think he's a bad work ethic kind of guy; I just think he tried to put on weight to be a more effective flexbone b-back and put it on in the wrong way. But it's still something worth checking out, because if I'm wrong we could have another Lendale White on our hands, and he certainly wasn't worth a second round pick.

TheMorningZoo
04-11-2010, 09:07 PM
One thing I have repeatedly noticed from his tape is that he hits the hole with authority! Watch really any clips from GTech, the second he gets the ball he is going full speed and doesn't dance at all. Good vision, and just gets going to top end speed fast. I like that in a Running Back

Brent
04-11-2010, 09:09 PM
I, too, saw a lot of Georgia Tech games this year. I really like the guy. If we needed a big back, he would be a guy I hope they target.

49erNation85
04-11-2010, 09:11 PM
perfect score . Love avatar pic . KK is so hot ! lol

initial_flo
04-12-2010, 01:03 AM
I'd love for the Browns to pick him up along side Jerome Harrison who can do the dynamic back role and catch out of the backfield.

If he can just become at least an average blocker and adjust from the wishbone system he's got a lot of value. Any number of teams can use a guy that can run in between the tackles and run people over.

It seems like the NFL overall is kinda low on the amount of old school backs right now.

RaiderNation
04-12-2010, 01:21 AM
Ive never liked him. Wouldnt touch him til the 3rd or 4th

keylime_5
04-12-2010, 09:21 AM
I know Cleveland loves him. Maybe they'll take him with one of their third rounders.

Babylon
04-12-2010, 11:05 AM
I know Cleveland loves him. Maybe they'll take him with one of their third rounders.

With Harrison and Hillis they can afford to spend a 3rd on Dwyer?

keylime_5
04-12-2010, 11:16 AM
They are gonna be a running team so having this unit:

RB-Harrison, Dwyer, Davis
FB-Vickers, Hillis

wouldn't be a bad idea.

batsandgats
04-12-2010, 03:12 PM
Hillis is more proven at halfback in the nfl at this point than Dwyer. I don't think Mangini is planning to use him as just a fullback. He was coaching the Jets when Hillis put up 129 yards on them averaging 5.9 ypc and 1 td. they had the number 1 ranked rush defense at the time and hadn't allowed a 100 yard rusher all year. I don't think they picked him up just to be a fullback.

It looks like Dwyer hit the hole with authority because he was closer to the line of scrimmage than a traditional offense, that is why he didn't "dance around". The question was whether he benefited from the offense he was in because teams weren't used to playing it, so that is why his combine performance was vital because I think it would help to tell how he would project as a tailback in the NFL because he is mainly going off of potential. On another thread I took a scouting report of Kyle Eckel and inserted Dwyer's name and nobody noticed the difference, both played in Paul Johnson's offense

Dwyer ran somewhere in the 4.64 and 4.72 in the 40. He had offensive lineman type agility drill measurements. 4.67 shuttle, 7.56 3-cone and a 8'11" broad jump. (yes there were offensive linemen who did better than him in these drills)

When he went against better defenses like Georgia he averaged 2.4 ypc and then against Iowa in his bowl game he was also shut down averaging 3.5 ypc. I didn't see the Georgia game but I saw the Iowa game and he wasn't impressive, and they have a few guys that are going to be in the NFL next year.

He also had the 2nd slowest 10 yard split at 1.66 (thats including fullbacks who ran), which tests how good your initial burst is. Only Blount had a worst time at 1.75

Im not saying he can't be a good back in the NFL, I just don't think he should go that high, late 3rd, early 4th round pick.

Clarkw267
04-12-2010, 03:18 PM
I've never been high on Dwyer.

He just isn't elusive, and doesn't have the change of direction skills or feet of a featured NFL back.

He also played in a gimmick offense, where he lined up at FB, only featured a handful of running plays, and produced abnormally wide lanes to run through.

His strengths were supposed to be his Size/Speed combination. But when he showed up at the combine out of shape and slow. His value took even more of a hit in my eyes.

Texas Homer
04-12-2010, 03:19 PM
I wouldn't mind if the Texans took Dwyer in the 3rd Round.

Babylon
04-12-2010, 04:42 PM

Wouldnt it be likely they take someone else in the 1st or 2nd?

FUNBUNCHER
04-12-2010, 05:17 PM
I like LSU's Charles Scott over Dwyer now that he ran a low 4.5 at the Tigers Pro Day.

ericzedwards
04-12-2010, 05:53 PM

If they passed on Ryan Mathews in the first and missed out on someone like Gerhart in the second, I could definitely see Houston calling Dwyer's name in the 3rd. They'll be looking for a complementary big back.

I think Cleveland, however, should feel set with Hillis as their big back. He was in McDaniels' doghouse last year (I'll never understand why), but the guy can flat-out play.

Babylon
04-12-2010, 06:32 PM
If they passed on Ryan Mathews in the first and missed out on someone like Gerhart in the second, I could definitely see Houston calling Dwyer's name in the 3rd. They'll be looking for a complementary big back.

I think Cleveland, however, should feel set with Hillis as their big back. He was in McDaniels' doghouse last year (I'll never understand why), but the guy can flat-out play.

Passing on Mathews then Gerhart probably isnt the brightest thing to do.

ericzedwards
04-12-2010, 06:43 PM
Passing on Mathews then Gerhart probably isnt the brightest thing to do.

Agreed, but Kubiak does come from the Shanahan line of thinking about drafting running backs.

jrdrylie
04-12-2010, 06:44 PM
I think he'll be drafted late second round, either by New England or Seattle. People criticize his speed in the 40, but he has decent game speed. I guess they forget that he had scores of 88, 84, 79, 74, 69, 66, 60, 59, and 58. I can't name another running back with that many huge runs. It doesn't matter what kind of offense the team is running, 4 runs over 70 yards is very impressive.

Babylon
04-12-2010, 06:46 PM
Agreed, but Kubiak does come from the Shanahan line of thinking about drafting running backs.

Which mean later rounds right? You could probably scoop up Dixon or Dwyer in the 3rd and the value there would be pretty good. Are they looking at S in round 1?

JHasley10
04-12-2010, 06:48 PM
this kid is super talented. also remember he is very young. he wont be 21 until around mid training camp.

he plays around 230 pounds he is a monster. i love how people talk about the offense he played in. remember LT played in a option offense also