PDA

View Full Version : Does Anyone Want Mays?

GloryDaysRBack
04-11-2010, 03:04 PM
I see so many different people on different boards who do not want Mays. Many of these people will gladly take anyone BUT Mays. Is there anyone out there who actually likes Mays?

I will be honest and admit that I have not seen enough of him to judge one way or another but I have a hard time believing a few different things. 1) This guy was a sure fire top 15 pick had he come out last year, I find it impossible to believe that all of a sudden he is a sure fire bust. 2) Just about every single team in the NFL has Mays ranked with a first round grade (at least that is what I have read) and just about every single rankings list I have come across has Mays listed as a first round player. How on earth can a guy who is so highly touted be considered a sure fire bust by so many non experts like you and I?

Now I have heard every argument against Mays, so I am not starting this thread to read all of those arguments again. My question is for those who do like him and how they envision him being successful in the NFL.

bigbuc
04-11-2010, 03:06 PM
If Tampa can get him with our second rounder I wouldn't hate it...

TheMorningZoo
04-11-2010, 03:06 PM
Just posted this exact question in the "do not want thread" below.

As a Chargers fan, if he is there @ 28-I would love to bring him down to San Diego. We could still get a Runningback at 40 only a few picks away. If we got Mays and Matthews it would be an awesome way to start the Draft. Or if Matthews is gone and we get either a NT, OL, or RB in 2nd / 3rd like Best or Dwyer I would be equally happy :D

Go Cowboys
04-11-2010, 03:10 PM
He is probably a boom or bust guy just because of all the Negative hype he has gotten this year. Last year at this time it was the opposite, everyone was wishing he had come out and been the #1 safety gone.

Everyone starts to over analyze people the closer the the draft we get, there are always guys that fall for some reason or other (Quenton Moses a few years back is an example, fell from for sure 1st rounder to early 3rd to being cut).

Mays on the other hand is one of those guys who makes plays, does he intercept a lot of balls? No, but if all you want is interceptions in a safety you need to reorder some of your priorities. He is a football player, he knows how to read a play, not sure what else you can say about him, he is all over the field when he plays, though he does have a tendency to disappear in some games, (maybe that is just because he did his job and didn't have to do anymore than that).

marshallb
04-11-2010, 03:10 PM
I definitely want him on the Vikings, he'd be incredible at S in our cover 2, especially with how horrible our S are. If we can get him I'd love it.

GloryDaysRBack
04-11-2010, 03:13 PM
I think Mays gets such a bad reputation because of how fast Roy Williams came crashing down in Dallas. Most people don't remember that Roy Williams was a superstar in Dallas in his first 4 years, but that isnt important anyways because the 2players are almost nothing alike. The biggest thing that killed Williams was that he was not athletic enough to cover players deep down field, I do not see the same issues with Mays. I have almost never seen Mays get beat deep outside of that ball from Clausen to Tate.

GloryDaysRBack
04-11-2010, 03:15 PM
I hear a lot of people mention that he would be a killer in a cover 2 defense..and I udnerstand that..are there any other teams whos defensive schemes he would fit?

K Train
04-11-2010, 03:25 PM
he would be terrible in the steelers 34, he needs to sit deep and lay the crush

i do not hate mays, i hate mays in the first round

GloryDaysRBack
04-11-2010, 03:27 PM
he would be terrible in the steelers 34, he needs to sit deep and lay the crush

i do not hate mays, i hate mays in the first round

why would he be terrible in the steelers defense? and if he is a terrible fit you shouldnt want him in any round

Shane P. Hallam
04-11-2010, 03:29 PM
I'd even take him at 18 for Pittsburgh, he'd have a good structure and coaching. Not my first choice or ideal, but I like Taylor Mays and like his fit with the Steelers.

GloryDaysRBack
04-11-2010, 03:30 PM
I'd even take him at 18 for Pittsburgh, he'd have a good structure and coaching. Not my first choice or ideal, but I like Taylor Mays and like his fit with the Steelers.

Most mocks I have seen have Mays going to Dallas...how do you think he would fit in Dallas shane?

BuddyCHRIST
I like Mays, and if he was there for the Saints at 32 I think it would be a great value. Though we have alot of young DB's.

K Train
because polamalu is already a box safety, i wouldnt want mays having deep responsibilities that i dont even like ryan clark having, we need a cover safety.

and second round is tremendous value for him, the chance that im wrong about him and he turns into a stud would be worth it in the second, but a waste in the first

Saints-Tigers
04-11-2010, 03:31 PM
I'd love to have him. Just because I staunchly disagreed with all the people claiming he was a 1a/1b with Berry before the season started doesn't mean I don't think he's a great prospect.

Personally, I think his floor is higher than people give him credit for.

Shane P. Hallam
04-11-2010, 03:33 PM
Most mocks I have seen have Mays going to Dallas...how do you think he would fit in Dallas shane?

Similar. I think the fear is there that he is Roy Williams #2, but Wade Phillips could coach him up and it is a need for the Boys. Though Sensabaugh played well, he can be upgraded. I could see Jerry Jones taking the chance though.

GloryDaysRBack
04-11-2010, 03:34 PM
Similar. I think the fear is there that he is Roy Williams #2, but Wade Phillips could coach him up and it is a need for the Boys. Though Sensabaugh played well, he can be upgraded. I could see Jerry Jones taking the chance though.

Yeah, they cut Hamlin and can play Sensabaugh at SS

eagles6606
04-11-2010, 03:35 PM
As an Eagles fan I would take him. It has become apparent that he is not a top 10 pick like we thought last year, but in the middle of the first round I still think he is a good pick. Just remember that this guy has all the talent to suceed at the next level AND he has great intangibles. He wants to get better and he will. With some coaching and the proper utilization of his skills, Mays will be a star at the next level.

K Train
04-11-2010, 03:35 PM
roy williams was amazing until they switched to a 34, which is why i wouldnt want mays in one either.

hes not just a one year wonder workout warrior. hes a 4 year starter at a top school and played on some elite defenses and hes still looked at as a project, i just think thats a red flag and he may have very well reached his ceiling as a football player

GloryDaysRBack
04-11-2010, 03:38 PM
roy williams was amazing until they switched to a 34, which is why i wouldnt want mays in one either.

hes not just a one year wonder workout warrior. hes a 4 year starter at a top school and played on some elite defenses and hes still looked at as a project, i just think thats a red flag and he may have very well reached his ceiling as a football player

a 34 defense has absolutely zero to do with the secondary..williams fell off the map when his hall of famer counter part Darren Woodson retired

Steel34
04-11-2010, 03:39 PM
Should put Mays at OLB in a 4-3.

TACKLE
04-11-2010, 03:40 PM

I think the Roy Williams comparisons are way overplayed. Yes they both have questionable instincts in the passing game and both are sometimes too aggressive in going for the KO blow, but that's where it ends. Mays is far more athletic and fluid than Roy. Roy was in the box a lot at Oklahoma whereas Mays was given much greater responsibility in coverage.

Saints-Tigers
04-11-2010, 03:40 PM
Mays is a project in the sense that he can be a lot better(though his ceiling is way overrated). He's still a pretty good player now.

Babylon
04-11-2010, 03:42 PM
Every mock i've commented on i've said Mays at #14 to Seattle. Not going to change now. Personally i think he's up there with the most underrated guys in the draft.

M.O.T.H.
04-11-2010, 03:43 PM
Yeah, he's not a great fit for Dallas. Even Wade couldnt find a way to efficiently hide Roy Williams out there. And Roy's problems didnt stop at his inability to cover deep, the guy couldnt cover anyone. As a last resort, to keep him on the field, Wade had him almost exclusively cover the TE and he was beat week after week. I dont care how fast Mays is, I wouldnt trust him to man up on TE in our defense either. He's not great in space, there are too many similarities to Williams. That type just doesnt work in our defense. I think Taylor could certainly succeed in a number of defenses, but our safeties need to be able to cover.

RealityCheck
04-11-2010, 03:44 PM
I never thought such a good player would have so much hate.

GloryDaysRBack
04-11-2010, 03:48 PM
I never thought such a good player would have so much hate.

I am starting to think someone is going to get an absolute steal in Taylor Mays and he may end up being the best safety taken in this draft..

P-L
04-11-2010, 03:52 PM
Taylor Mays is not Roy Williams. Mays is actually pretty good in zone coverage, he's just terrible in man coverage. On the other hand, Roy Williams was never good in any kind of coverage.

wonderbredd24
04-11-2010, 03:58 PM
I think the Roy Williams comparisons are way overplayed. Yes they both have questionable instincts in the passing game and both are sometimes too aggressive in going for the KO blow, but that's where it ends. Mays is far more athletic and fluid than Roy. Roy was in the box a lot at Oklahoma whereas Mays was given much greater responsibility in coverage.

But Mays isn't fluid and he proved that with his pitiful 3 cone drill. He's got out of this world straight line speed, but that seems to be where it ends.

M.O.T.H.
04-11-2010, 04:01 PM
I wouldnt call him a straight Roy Williams clone...but he'd be pretty damn close in our defense. He's not good in space, he's abysmal in man, he takes bad angles frequently, his tackling can be suspect, and we could talk about his "fluid hips" all day...the guy falls all over himself when he needs to man up.

Brent
04-11-2010, 04:06 PM
I wouldn't mind him on the Niners. I don't know about at 17 but if a team traded up for one of our picks, I wouldnt be shocked to see him taken later in the first round.

wicket
04-11-2010, 04:10 PM
I think even fewer people want dunlap tbqh, id be fine with either

FUNBUNCHER
04-11-2010, 04:13 PM
I'd love to have him. Just because I staunchly disagreed with all the people claiming he was a 1a/1b with Berry before the season started doesn't mean I don't think he's a great prospect.

Personally, I think his floor is higher than people give him credit for.

Same. Mays was still a 4 year starter in college. He has a ton of experience and still has a huge upside in the pros.

If your team needs a SS that can give you deep coverage, Mays has to get a long look. I think a creative DC will design specific schemes that take advantage of his unique physical tools.

Maybe it's just me, but I still think he ends up being a top 20 pick easily.

Babylon
04-11-2010, 04:14 PM
I think even fewer people want dunlap tbqh, id be fine with either

I want all the guys nobody wants:

Mays
Gerhart
Dunlap
Tebow
Cambell
Spikes

I'll take em all.

wonderbredd24
04-11-2010, 04:16 PM
I want all the guys nobody wants:

Mays
Gerhart
Dunlap
Tebow
Cambell
Spikes

I'll take em all.

I like Gerhart, but we got a Gerhart type in Peyton Hillis

I also like Spikes, but I wouldn't take him til day 3

prock
04-11-2010, 04:16 PM
i would love mays

PossibleCabbage
04-11-2010, 04:21 PM
In the second round or later? Sure, I'd think he'd be a good pick for most every team. But as it stands, I think his shortcomings as a player mean that he shouldn't be a top 32 player. He's basically Michael Lewis but a somewhat better athlete. Lewis went 58th in a pretty deep draft (2002), and I think that Mays should go somewhere around there.

Mays' size isn't necessarily a great advantage in the modern NFL, since it's so much of a passing league that Safeties need to be able to cover like CBs these days.

Just look at the last 14 safeties to get selected to the pro bowl (not a great metric, but bear with me): Yeremiah Bell (Dolphins), Antoine Bethea (Colts), Jairus Byrd (Bills), Nick Collins (Packers), Brian Dawkins (Eagles and Broncos), Roman Harper (Saints), Chris Hope (Titans), Brandon Meriweather (Patriots), Quintin Mikell (Eagles), Troy Polamalu (Steelers), Ed Reed (Ravens), Antrel Rolle (Cardinals), Darren Sharper (Saints) and Adrian Wilson (Cardinals). Average size? 5-11 3/4 and 206 lbs. Time and time again the NFL has borne out that a smaller guy with great technique and instincts will will beat out a guy with prototypical measurables but poor technique on the field.

I think these days, if you want an elite safety in the NFL, you'll do better converting a guy who was a CB in college. Mays could get there, but he's going to be a bit of a project wherever he goes. That doesn't mean I hate him, I just don't like spending first round picks on projects.

Foosballphan
I will almost definately trade for him in Madden 2011. But even I might move him to OLB. :)

Babylon
I like Gerhart, but we got a Gerhart type in Peyton Hillis

I also like Spikes, but I wouldn't take him til day 3

Yeah i dont think they'll go for a big back there. Gerhart by the way is a much better back than Hillis in my opinion. What are you guys looking for S/WR/QB?

Mr.Regular
I feel like a tool for quoting a blog post Ive already written for the third time this week, but I happened to write up an article on Mays a couple days ago.
For the record I like Mays. He started the season overrated but he's now definitely in the underrated category. A late first or second rounder is amazing value for a player with his skill set.

Mays played in a one deep base defense pretty much his entire time in USC. Teams knew what he was going to do pretty much every play... he roamed center field exclusively. It was some pretty clear cover one or cover three type zones. So it wasn't hard to avoid him...which gives us a difficult task in terms of evalutaing his NFL potential. Teams often steered clear of throwing deep on him due to his intimidating athleticism, but when they did challenge him Mays could never really display any ball skills of any kind. Where he shines is in run support and in laying the huge hit on helpless receivers. He is a real intimidating force. He does struggle in diagnosing plays and he takes some pretty brutal angles at times resulting in blown plays and missed tackles.
Mays played in a difficult system to scout, but what is apparent is 2 things.
1- He has world class athleticism. He's got the speed, he's got the strength. He can potentially do it all.
2- At times he played flat out poorly. Bad angles, bad technique, and no ball skills.
So where does that put him in the draft? Tough to say. I think he's worth a first rounder. Guys with his skill set dont come along often. Maybe his best position will be as an in the box strong safety instead of the deep cover one rover. That position would allow him to come in and very easily cover a tight end or slot guy while also allowing him to shoot up the middle or attack the run. This role could hide his weaknesses and really bring out his strengths. Mays has a sky high ceiling but he also has bust potential. I think he's worth the risk, but buyer beware.

FUNBUNCHER
04-11-2010, 04:22 PM
Yeah, he's not a great fit for Dallas. Even Wade couldnt find a way to efficiently hide Roy Williams out there. And Roy's problems didnt stop at his inability to cover deep, the guy couldnt cover anyone. As a last resort, to keep him on the field, Wade had him almost exclusively cover the TE and he was beat week after week. I dont care how fast Mays is, I wouldnt trust him to man up on TE in our defense either. He's not great in space, there are too many similarities to Williams. That type just doesnt work in our defense. I think Taylor could certainly succeed in a number of defenses, but our safeties need to be able to cover.

If Roy Williams had low 4.3 speed and was 6'3, he'd still be in Dallas.
He simply lacked the athleticism, speed or quickness to cover anyone for more than 15 yards.
Mays never really had to cover TEs in college, but if you average starting OLB can give a decent look in coverage, why can't Mays??

People are severely underrating what Mays can bring to the football field.

M.O.T.H.
04-11-2010, 04:33 PM
If Roy Williams had low 4.3 speed and was 6'3, he'd still be in Dallas.
He simply lacked the athleticism, speed or quickness to cover anyone for more than 15 yards.
Mays never really had to cover TEs in college, but if you average starting OLB can give a decent look in coverage, why can't Mays??

People are severely underrating what Mays can bring to the football field.

No he wouldnt be in Dallas still, because he still wouldnt be able to cover anyone. When your hips are that bad in man coverage...it doesnt matter how fast you are. Roy Williams also has a terrible football IQ and had way too many holes in his game to play in Dallas' defense. Which requires you to be able to cover. As for Mays, the guy looked exactly like Williams during the senior bowl practices. Mays speed, will do him a lot of good for closing, but when manned up against WR or TE, it's not going to help when he has poor turnover and is falling all over himself. He's a glorified in the box safety. And that could work out beautifully for some teams, but not ours.

TACKLE
04-11-2010, 04:34 PM
But Mays isn't fluid and he proved that with his pitiful 3 cone drill. He's got out of this world straight line speed, but that seems to be where it ends.

6.95 is not a pitiful 3-cone, especially for a 230 pounder. He also ran a 4.24 short shuttle which is also solid.

I'm not saying Mays is going to be a guy who never gets beat. Experts always talk about you need a safety who can play man-to-man in the slot, can play center-field, make plays on the ball and can also come up and be the 8th man in the box. There are very few safeties who can do that and those who can are perennial Pro-Bowlers. Mays may not be able to effectively play man on a slot WR but he compensates with other aspects of his game. Same with Earl Thomas. Earl is not physical enough to come up in the box and will probably be overwhelmed physically with guys like Vincent Jackson, Brandon Marshall, Larry Fitzgerald, Andre Johnson and the Marques Colston. But that's okay because he compensates for it in other areas of his game. But because Mays's game has become overanalyzed, he seems to be held to a different standard than the other safeties in this draft. If you let him do what he does best he will be an impact player. Taylor Mays will bring a presence few safeties in the league have and will be a guy teams have to game-plan around.

GloryDaysRBack
04-11-2010, 04:42 PM
6.95 is not a pitiful 3-cone, especially for a 230 pounder. He also ran a 4.24 short shuttle which is also solid.

I'm not saying Mays is going to be a guy who never gets beat. Experts always talk about you need a safety who can play man-to-man in the slot, can play center-field, make plays on the ball and can also come up and be the 8th man in the box. There are very few safeties who can do that and those who can are perennial Pro-Bowlers. Mays may not be able to effectively play man on a slot WR but he compensates with other aspects of his game. Same with Earl Thomas. Earl is not physical enough to come up in the box and will probably be overwhelmed physically with guys like Vincent Jackson, Brandon Marshall, Larry Fitzgerald, Andre Johnson and the Marques Colston. But that's okay because he compensates for it in other areas of his game. But because Mays's game has become overanalyzed, he seems to be held to a different standard than the other safeties in this draft. If you let him do what he does best he will be an impact player. Taylor Mays will bring a presence few safeties in the league have and will be a guy teams have to game-plan around.

I keep seeing people say that Mays cannot cover a slot WR man to man..How many teams actually use their safety to cover a slot receiver man on man? I can alsmot never recall Dallas using any safety to do so in recent years. The last safety I recall doing so was Darren Woodson but his coverage abilities were uncanny for a safety. So, since then, Dallas has not used their safety to cover a slot receiver, why is it all of a sudden a must?

Go Cowboys
04-11-2010, 04:59 PM
I keep seeing people say that Mays cannot cover a slot WR man to man..How many teams actually use their safety to cover a slot receiver man on man? I can alsmot never recall Dallas using any safety to do so in recent years. The last safety I recall doing so was Darren Woodson but his coverage abilities were uncanny for a safety. So, since then, Dallas has not used their safety to cover a slot receiver, why is it all of a sudden a must?
That is why it is a must, Darrent Woodson is the epitome of what all Cowboys fans want from a safety.

When Woodson left, Williams fell apart because of the pressure he had to fill, so if you can compare a guy to Woodson everyone that is a fan of the Cowboys will jump at that guy, though it is too bad we can't seem to find that type of guy no matter what we do.

M.O.T.H.
04-11-2010, 05:01 PM

The two guys who would be perfect for Dallas over any of the other safeties would be Thomas or Allen. They need a play making FS, who excels in coverage, and has good ball skills. Burnett is a better fit as well. This isnt Mays.

And no Dallas would not have Taylor manning up against WRs, that would be a crazy thing to do, because he would more than likely get beat. He's just not what they need, Mays is a SS in Dallas' defense. An 8th man in the box. He'd be asked to man up against TEs frequently. They need a play making, ball hawk to compliment Sensabaugh.

wonderbredd24
04-11-2010, 05:11 PM

Brandon Spikes ran a 6.97 at his size. That is pitiful for Mays, especially when you consider the differential between that and his 40. Hell, Tebow's 6.66 is blazing compared to Mays

TACKLE
04-11-2010, 05:17 PM

I agree. There's a reason that so many teams utilize 3 CB sets and why it has become a necessity to have three starting caliber CB's in today's NFL.

Flyboy
04-11-2010, 05:36 PM
If he's available at #32, I'd love to have him.

stl9erfan
04-11-2010, 05:52 PM
I think he could be a decent fit with the Niners. He's not my favorite choice, definitely wouldn't take him at 13, but I think he could flourish under Singletary. If we got our tackle at 13, then traded back with the 17th pick into the 20's I honestly wouldn't mind taking him there, depending on who else is available.

bitonti
04-13-2010, 10:04 AM
im getting the sense that the Jets at 29 would love Taylor Mays... heck they run the 46 defense, and they got rid of Rhodes for not wanting to hit... its a real good fit.

Grizzlegom
04-13-2010, 10:17 AM
I'd take him in Miami. I'd rather have him than Earl Thomas honestly.

rojones82
04-13-2010, 10:23 AM
Id take him with Cincinnati's 21st overall if a few other guys dont fall. I dont get all the hate personaly. Yeh he needs to wrap up his tackling a lot more, but not the end of the world. With the right team and coach i think he could be a stud, I think Zimmer could get him to play the right way.

Brothgar
04-13-2010, 10:38 AM
If Mays fell to the 2nd I'd be more than happy to see him on the Lions.

Dam8610
04-13-2010, 10:39 AM
He'd be BPA at 31, so why not? People seem to keep describing a player similar to Adrian Wilson on this thread, then saying they don't want that. I'm not saying that's what Mays will be, but I see some similarities in descriptions, and I'd take that type of player on the Colts any day, especially if he excels in zones, since the two main responsibilities of a Colts safety are run support and deep zone coverage.

yourfavestoner
04-13-2010, 10:43 AM
He'd be BPA at 31, so why not? People seem to keep describing a player similar to Adrian Wilson on this thread, then saying they don't want that. I'm not saying that's what Mays will be, but I see some similarities in descriptions, and I'd take that type of player on the Colts any day, especially if he excels in zones, since the two main responsibilities of a Colts safety are run support and deep zone coverage.

I would cry if he went to Indy. I've said all throughout the draft process that the player he compares most to is Bob Sanders. Difference is that Mays is actually a real person and not midget and would likely be injured far less. He will absolutely wreck **** if he goes to any Cover Two team.

I would really love for Jax to trade down to the mid to late first round and take him. Ecstatic actually.

Silver & Blue
04-13-2010, 10:49 AM
If Mays fell to the 2nd I'd be more than happy to see him on the Lions.

I second this. Don't like him as a first round pick but he would be a great second round pick up.

LizardState
04-13-2010, 12:18 PM
I think Mays gets such a bad reputation because of how fast Roy Williams came crashing down in Dallas. Most people don't remember that Roy Williams was a superstar in Dallas in his first 4 years, but that isnt important anyways because the 2players are almost nothing alike.

Thank you GDB, Mays is NOT Roy Williams.

I can see Dallas taking him & never regretting it if he brings the lumber & forces fumbles like he did at SC. It's all the missed tackles from his Pac 10 games last yr that are the overwhelming worry IMO. He will need some coaching but if Dallas can teach Bobby Freaking Carpenter to not miss tackles tthey can do the same for him.

Sorry to interrupt Shane's response, but I think he could start in Dallas, again with proper coaching.

Kiper BTW said that he sees Mays "dropping" to the last picks in the 1st rd or early 2nd, & going to his old HC Carroll to Seattle in the late 2nd (#60 overall, Seahawks' only 2nd rd. pick) if he drops that far which is unlikely, or to the Saints at #32 at the end of the 1st.

D-Unit
04-13-2010, 12:34 PM

Freakin' beautiful post. So happy to see that we have quality posters here. Totally objective, totally makes sense and well thought out.

+rep

D-Unit
04-13-2010, 12:36 PM
That is why it is a must, Darrent Woodson is the epitome of what all Cowboys fans want from a safety.

When Woodson left, Williams fell apart because of the pressure he had to fill, so if you can compare a guy to Woodson everyone that is a fan of the Cowboys will jump at that guy, though it is too bad we can't seem to find that type of guy no matter what we do.
Eric Berry is not Darren Woodson. Your expectations are unrealistic.

I_C_DeadPeople
04-13-2010, 12:38 PM
Agreed. Great post by TACKLE. The problem some players have is they are labeled 'elite' early on and no where to go but down after that. Conversely, the opposite happens for other players who move up the draft. Some coach will want Mays, coach him and use him correctly in their system. As much as people slam SS Roy Wlliams, he was very effective in the Bengals D last year before getting hurt.

D-Unit
04-13-2010, 12:40 PM
I agree. There's a reason that so many teams utilize 3 CB sets and why it has become a necessity to have three starting caliber CB's in today's NFL.
THIS is the money post right here. 3 CBs have become critical to today's NFL where the rules have been altered to protect WRs and put more points on the board (making the game seem more "exciting").

This makes a guy like Mays who is a true centerfielder with uncanny closing speed even more valuable. Teams can utilize their 3 CB sets and have Mays as their roaming safety.

wonderbredd24
04-13-2010, 12:49 PM
THIS is the money post right here. 3 CBs have become critical to today's NFL where the rules have been altered to protect WRs and put more points on the board (making the game seem more "exciting").

This makes a guy like Mays who is a true centerfielder with uncanny closing speed even more valuable. Teams can utilize their 3 CB sets and have Mays as their roaming safety.

Except between his craptacular instincts and poor change of direction speed, he's going to be exposed just like he was against the likes of Dane Sanzenbacher and Golden Tate.

He has uncanny straight line speed, but his ability to change direction is sub par. The numbers do not like when it comes to Mays.

People can try to massage a 6.95 3 cone for a 230lb safety as being good or whatever, but it was barely faster than a 249lb Brandon Spikes (6.97) and it was blown away by a 232lb Tim Tebow (6.66).

Mays has linebacker size, but he's got big linebacker change of direction quickness and combine that with questionable instincts despite 4 years of USC, it adds up to a huge problem.

Hell, if you have the ability to go back and look at Mays in mobile, you can see how bad his hips were just by watching him run drills next to Nate Allen. Allen's hips were far superior.

Maybe Mays is overanalyzed, but the people who love Mays are content to ignore the negatives about him and pretty much attribute positives he doesn't deserve, but I suppose that's what happens when you have a man crush.

Taylor Mays is 10, maybe 20 years late to the party. His style of safety just does not translate well to a league that's increasingly going to a pass heavy league, which is just part of the reason Berry and now Earl Thomas have blown by him in terms of draft stock. They have corner ability in a safety package. Now, personally, I think Earl Thomas also tackles like a corner which is a red flag of its own, but the best safeties to deal with this NFL are smaller and much, much quicker than Taylor Mays.

CC.SD
04-13-2010, 12:52 PM
I do I do!

Mays is literally the only non-RB/DL I'd be totally okay with at 28. More than okay. I feel like a lot of people don't understand how he can be used, and the fact is that having that much speed at the safety position is a gamechanger no matter how you draw it up. Throw in receiver punishing hitting ability, leadership, infinite ceiling and a million other things we've already gone over and he's welcome on my squad anytime. I'm not unbiased but I remain stunned at how his value has dropped so much.

D-Unit can we please create some separation between Cowboy and Charger draft needs, this has been going on for too many years.

I keep seeing 'questionable instincts'...I think that's more on coaching than anything. Taylor is a headhunter, and in that way he is a throwback, but frankly every defense needs that brutal intimidator somewhere and if Mays is hardwired to kill people on the field, I'll take that over a couple extra turnovers throughout the season. It's not like he can't intercept the ball either.

draftguru151
04-13-2010, 12:53 PM
Brandon Spikes ran a 6.97 at his size. That is pitiful for Mays, especially when you consider the differential between that and his 40. Hell, Tebow's 6.66 is blazing compared to Mays

6.66 is blazing for ******* everyone, that's an insanely fast time, especially for someone Tebow's size.

Eric Berry- 6.80
Major Wright- 6.95
Myron Lewis- 6.90
Chad Jones- 6.83
Reshad Jones- 7.43
Larry Asante- 7.00
Myron Rolle- 6.94
Kareem Jackson- 6.92
Chris Cook- 6.88
AOA- 6.84
Jerome Murphy- 6.87

So how about you not take 1 workout and compare it to elite times and make a judement?

D-Unit
04-13-2010, 12:53 PM
im getting the sense that the Jets at 29 would love Taylor Mays... heck they run the 46 defense, and they got rid of Rhodes for not wanting to hit... its a real good fit.
Wade Phillips has been implementing more and more 46 looks, which also makes Mays an attractive pick for Dallas.

People are so run-a-muck about his lack of interceptions, but Carroll explained that that wasn't the #1 priority for his safeties at USC. Troy Polamalu had 1 INT in his senior year... What more needs to be said about that? The funny thing is that the Mays bashers didn't come out before last year.... they all came out bashing him during/after his senior year.

1 week of quality NFL coaching and he goes out and has an INT in the Senior Bowl. Expect more of that if that's what his coach wants out of him.

D-Unit
04-13-2010, 12:57 PM
I do I do!

Mays is literally the only non-RB/DL I'd be totally okay with at 28. More than okay. I feel like a lot of people don't understand how he can be used, and the fact is that having that much speed at the safety position is a gamechanger no matter how you draw it up. Throw in receiver punishing hitting ability, leadership, infinite ceiling and a million other things we've already gone over and he's welcome on my squad anytime. I'm not unbiased but I remain stunned at how his value has dropped so much.

D-Unit can we please create some separation between Cowboy and Charger draft needs, this has been going on for too many years.
We're tied to the hip man. We drafted Felix Jones in the first and now you guys may use your 1st on a RB. Go figure.

We even took your old DC!!!

You guys are the Cowboys of the AFC and we are the Chargers of the NFC. :D

D-Unit
04-13-2010, 12:58 PM
6.66 is blazing for ******* everyone, that's an insanely fast time, especially for someone Tebow's size.

Eric Berry- 6.80
Major Wright- 6.95
Myron Lewis- 6.90
Chad Jones- 6.83
Reshad Jones- 7.43
Larry Asante- 7.00
Myron Rolle- 6.94
Kareem Jackson- 6.92
Chris Cook- 6.88
AOA- 6.84
Jerome Murphy- 6.87

So how about you not take 1 workout and compare it to elite times and make a judement?
This is one of the most enlightening posts I've seen from DG. Truthfully, I didn't analyze the numbers from the combine, outside of glancing at those who stood out.

Now can we all shut up about Taylor Mays having a God awful 3 cone drill?

DeathbyStat
04-13-2010, 01:01 PM
I don't want him for the steelers

CC.SD
04-13-2010, 01:05 PM
We're tied to the hip man. We drafted Felix Jones in the first and now you guys may use your 1st on a RB. Go figure.

We even took your old DC!!!

You guys are the Cowboys of the AFC and we are the Chargers of the NFC. :D

Sigh I liked Felix Jones coming out too. Hopefully this is the year these guys get it together and make it to the Super Bowl. If one of the teams picks up Taylor, I give them better odds.

I don't particularly favor Mays as a SS but I do like the idea of pairing him up with Weddle who is very cerebral and dedicated to protecting the back end of the field. Siiigh.

wonderbredd24
04-13-2010, 01:07 PM

Eric Berry- 6.80
Major Wright- 6.95
Myron Lewis- 6.90
Chad Jones- 6.83
Reshad Jones- 7.43
Larry Asante- 7.00
Myron Rolle- 6.94
Kareem Jackson- 6.92
Chris Cook- 6.88
AOA- 6.84
Jerome Murphy- 6.87

And when you put it against these other times, it's still not impressive, especially when you factor in the differential between the 3 cone and the 40 time. I'll do it for you since you ignored it.

Taylor Mays - 2.66

Eric Berry - 2.33
Larry Asante - 2.33
Reshad Jones - 2.87 (Absolutely attrocious... and I expect he's a day 3 pick when all is said and done. Declaring was an enormous mistake)
Chad Jones - 2.27
Major Wright - 2.47
Myron Rolle - 2.27
Jerome Murphy - 2.35
Myron Lewis 2.46
Kareem Jackson - 2.44
Chris Cook - 2.42
Akwasi Owusu-Ansah - 2.37

And not one of these guys outside of Eric Berry is being considered in the 1st round. Taylor Mays still scores very poorly.

FUNBUNCHER
04-13-2010, 01:12 PM
Mays WILL BE a better pro than a collegian, book it. You can't coach instincts, but you can coach a superior athlete at safety how to play more efficiently.

If you pair him with a real head in the secondary to always have him in position before the snap, Mays will flourish early in his NFL career.

The only real worry I have about Mays is his propensity to go for head shots; this problem MUST be corrected or he'll be a target for every ref in the league.

For the health and longevity of every WR and TE in the league, 32 NFL teams better not let Taylor Mays slide out of the top 25!!

If TM is picked near the bottom of the 1st or later, he's literally going to put a WR in an ICU unit!!

Put him in a cover 2 scheme with a D secondary coach who can retool his game and teach Mays the value of INTs, ( ironically, I've read articles where Eric Berry at times struggles with his desire to lay out a ballcarrier versus giving up on a chance to make the pick!), TM has the opportunity to shock a lot of people, even some of his biggest doubters.

draftguru151
04-13-2010, 01:13 PM
Wait, you mean Taylor Mays long speed is much more impressive than his agility? NO ******* WAY, of course the difference is going to be big, Mays top end speed is insane, which has nothing to do with a 3 cone time. He has average agility times, which means he is going to be average in doing something that he won't be doing. Mays can't cover slot receivers, I don't need a 3 cone time to tell me that. People keep knocking Mays for things that he won't be asked to do (unless a team is dumb). Hey I bet Suh has really bad accuracy as a passer, I definitely don't want him on my team!

Babylon
04-13-2010, 01:17 PM

And i have been correcting a majority of them. Right now i'd say even money he ends up in Seattle. The guy gives 100%, is a total team player and a high character guy. With 4.3 speed at 230 lbs i'll teach him what he needs to know at the next level.

Grizzlegom
04-13-2010, 01:24 PM
so I have been defending Mays on some other boards and I just figured I'd post one of my responses. He kept saying that Mays is Darnell Bing 2.0 and my response is tailored towards all the knocks the guy kept saying but I thought it was relevant here:

Firstly, Darnell Bing was no where near as fast as Mays is. In addition to that, Bing always played really high and had stiff hips and no backpedal. He also had durability concerns and wasn't a student of the game. They may have hailed from the same school and look similar physically but Bing was an athlete playing football, Mays has a lot more football player in him than Bing ever had.

I agree that he was overhyped coming from USC and as such may have been a bit over-rated last year but its gotten to the point where he has become massively under-rated this year due to being over-scrutinized. As for the knocks on him, here are my responses:

Lack of big plays in college: This can largely be attributed to the way the coaches tried to use him. Pete Carroll and company never used him to the best of his ability, putting him as a deep safety and just telling him to 'hit anyone that comes near.' Because of this he never focused on looking for interceptions or making plays on the ball, he just focused on hitting the receiver as hard as he could and hoping the guy didn't catch it. An NFL DC that knows how to use him could do wonders for his game.

Coverage abilities: Yes he has a poor backpedal and has trouble manning up and plays too tall at times but there is something else that everyone seems to ignore. He has a very smooth and fluid hips and once he gets around, he has amazing closing speed, uses his size well, and has amazing leaping ability which allow him to make up for any separation the receiver has made while he was in his backpedal. In addition, Mays is a student of the game and studies a lot of tape. As a result, his play recognition is much better than a lot of the other safeties and he is very good at reading and reacting to the play.

Overpursues in run support/misses tackles: Mays is a very aggressive player that sometimes plays a little too out of control. He is usually good at diagnosing the run play and when he lines it up correctly, he is a powerful tackler that drives his opponents to the ground. His overpursuit and open-field tackling need work but if he can play a little more controlled and has a little coaching, I think this can be corrected.

There are a few things that really make Mays stand out to me and make me think he will be the best safety from this class not named Eric Berry. Firstly, Mays has the work ethic and drive to continue to get better. He stayed in school because he wanted to work on becoming a better DB and his coverage skills, while still are lacking, have improved immensely over the past year. Next, Mays is very coachable. Unlike many of the other athletes out there, Mays listens to his coaches and responds well and improves. Even though he may not have been the best player at the Senior Bowl, many of the coaches raved about his dedication and ability to take what they told him and apply it quickly, as evidenced by his interception in the game where he located the ball in the air and made the catch instead of taking the receiver's head off. Finally, Mays has, arguably, the best range of any safety in this class. Due to his film junkie mentality, as well as his elite speed and reaction skills, he makes up for his questionable instincts and awareness by diagnosing the play early and aggressively pursuing the ball carrier/receiver. I honestly think if he gets drafted any later than 20, whoever is getting him will be getting a steal as long as they utilize him correctly. He has all the tools needed to be an elite FS or SS and I think he just needs a good DB coach and he could be a perennial pro bowler.

D-Unit
04-13-2010, 01:39 PM
so I have been defending Mays on some other boards and I just figured I'd post one of my responses. He kept saying that Mays is Darnell Bing 2.0 and my response is tailored towards all the knocks the guy kept saying but I thought it was relevant here:

Firstly, Darnell Bing was no where near as fast as Mays is. In addition to that, Bing always played really high and had stiff hips and no backpedal. He also had durability concerns and wasn't a student of the game. They may have hailed from the same school and look similar physically but Bing was an athlete playing football, Mays has a lot more football player in him than Bing ever had.

I agree that he was overhyped coming from USC and as such may have been a bit over-rated last year but its gotten to the point where he has become massively under-rated this year due to being over-scrutinized. As for the knocks on him, here are my responses:

Lack of big plays in college: This can largely be attributed to the way the coaches tried to use him. Pete Carroll and company never used him to the best of his ability, putting him as a deep safety and just telling him to 'hit anyone that comes near.' Because of this he never focused on looking for interceptions or making plays on the ball, he just focused on hitting the receiver as hard as he could and hoping the guy didn't catch it. An NFL DC that knows how to use him could do wonders for his game.

Coverage abilities: Yes he has a poor backpedal and has trouble manning up and plays too tall at times but there is something else that everyone seems to ignore. He has a very smooth and fluid hips and once he gets around, he has amazing closing speed, uses his size well, and has amazing leaping ability which allow him to make up for any separation the receiver has made while he was in his backpedal. In addition, Mays is a student of the game and studies a lot of tape. As a result, his play recognition is much better than a lot of the other safeties and he is very good at reading and reacting to the play.

Overpursues in run support/misses tackles: Mays is a very aggressive player that sometimes plays a little too out of control. He is usually good at diagnosing the run play and when he lines it up correctly, he is a powerful tackler that drives his opponents to the ground. His overpursuit and open-field tackling need work but if he can play a little more controlled and has a little coaching, I think this can be corrected.

There are a few things that really make Mays stand out to me and make me think he will be the best safety from this class not named Eric Berry. Firstly, Mays has the work ethic and drive to continue to get better. He stayed in school because he wanted to work on becoming a better DB and his coverage skills, while still are lacking, have improved immensely over the past year. Next, Mays is very coachable. Unlike many of the other athletes out there, Mays listens to his coaches and responds well and improves. Even though he may not have been the best player at the Senior Bowl, many of the coaches raved about his dedication and ability to take what they told him and apply it quickly, as evidenced by his interception in the game where he located the ball in the air and made the catch instead of taking the receiver's head off. Finally, Mays has, arguably, the best range of any safety in this class. Due to his film junkie mentality, as well as his elite speed and reaction skills, he makes up for his questionable instincts and awareness by diagnosing the play early and aggressively pursuing the ball carrier/receiver. I honestly think if he gets drafted any later than 20, whoever is getting him will be getting a steal as long as they utilize him correctly. He has all the tools needed to be an elite FS or SS and I think he just needs a good DB coach and he could be a perennial pro bowler.
Another well thought out post! +rep.

I appreciate and agree with what you said.

Good coaching will be key. Wade Phillips coached up Steve Atwater in Denver... you think he'd be interested in Mays??? I hope so. Between Phillips and Dave Campo coaching the DBs, I like that combination.

Complex
04-13-2010, 01:45 PM
I would want Mays on the titans in the 2nd round

CC.SD
04-13-2010, 01:46 PM
If I could pick out one player in the league to tutor Mays for a year or two, it would be Brian Dawkins. I think Denver at 11 is a sneaky place for him to get picked early on. They would have to be wary of Seattle at 14.

It's a less off the wall pick than Pouncey, which I've heard thrown around a bit.

fear the elf
04-13-2010, 01:49 PM
My dream continues to be Berry at #7 and Mays at #38. So sick.

Mr.Regular
04-13-2010, 02:12 PM
My dream continues to be Berry at #7 and Mays at #38. So sick.
Your dream is to take 2 safeties back to back in the top 40? For a team with arguably the worst roster in the league?
Sure, Berry is a pick that'd be justified. He's an elite talent. But after that you better start taking picks at premium positions like QB, pass-rusher, DLine, etc.
Even if you hit on Berry and Mays, the team wouldn't be going anywhere.

Mr.Regular
04-13-2010, 02:14 PM
If I could pick out one player in the league to tutor Mays for a year or two, it would be Brian Dawkins. I think Denver at 11 is a sneaky place for him to get picked early on. They would have to be wary of Seattle at 14.

It's a less off the wall pick than Pouncey, which I've heard thrown around a bit.
Interesting idea. Denver had a wacky draft last year so it's hard to predict what they'll do. I wouldn't count anything out.

Side note, I'm firmly on the Pouncey at #11 bandwagon. He's an extremely good prospect and I think is a lock to go in the top 18. Plus he arguably fills the Bronco's biggest need.

Todd Bertuzzi
04-13-2010, 02:19 PM
I want him. I'm confident that with Jauron as our DB coach he can get Mays to realize his full potential.

CC.SD
04-13-2010, 02:21 PM
Interesting idea. Denver had a wacky draft last year so it's hard to predict what they'll do. I wouldn't count anything out.

Side note, I'm firmly on the Pouncey at #11 bandwagon. He's an extremely good prospect and I think is a lock to go in the top 18. Plus he arguably fills the Bronco's biggest need.

Why, can he coach? juuuuust kidding

PoopSandwich
04-13-2010, 02:21 PM
Your dream is to take 2 safeties back to back in the top 40? For a team with arguably the worst roster in the league?
Sure, Berry is a pick that'd be justified. He's an elite talent. But after that you better start taking picks at premium positions like QB, pass-rusher, DLine, etc.
Even if you hit on Berry and Mays, the team wouldn't be going anywhere.

Uhhh if we added Berry and Mays to a defensive backfield that includes Eric Wright and Sheldon Brown with good depth at the front 7 including some young players that showed promise in our 4 game win streak I think it would help immensely.

Our DB's were so bad (not including Wright) last year that it would have been impossible to win even if we had a competent offense.

Mr.Regular
04-13-2010, 02:25 PM
Uhhh if we added Berry and Mays to a defensive backfield that includes Eric Wright and Sheldon Brown with good depth at the front 7 including some young players that showed promise in our 4 game win streak I think it would help immensely.

Our DB's were so bad (not including Wright) last year that it would have been impossible to win even if we had a competent offense.
Yeah, your secondary was nasty last year. But adding Sheldon Brown and then Eric Berry I think would be a good enough start.
After that I think itd be a huge mistake to dip back for another safety when the rest of the roster is riddled with holes as well.

fear the elf
04-13-2010, 02:43 PM
Like WinslowBodden said, it's an area of huge need. Regardless, it wasn't necessarily a serious post, more of a fun thought.

PoopSandwich
04-13-2010, 03:10 PM
Yeah, your secondary was nasty last year. But adding Sheldon Brown and then Eric Berry I think would be a good enough start.
After that I think itd be a huge mistake to dip back for another safety when the rest of the roster is riddled with holes as well.

Yeah but the value would be so insane that I don't think you could really pass it up. I wouldn't mind a RG, or a WR (If an amazing one fell) or a QB if Holmgren and co. think the that whoever is there will be able to succeed.

BlueBandit24
04-13-2010, 03:19 PM
I saw it Tweeted earlier today (wish I could remember by whom) that Mays' stock was "on fire". That could lend credence to the Denver thought, which I have seen mocked a couple places.

RealityCheck
04-13-2010, 03:27 PM
I would want Mays on the titans in the 2nd round
Then good luck taking a 1st round player with a 3rd round pick.

king2am
04-13-2010, 03:30 PM
I'm okay with the 49ers taking anyone as long as it's not instead of one of the top tackles. And yes, I'm a Taylor Mays fan. Was last year, am this year.

derza222
04-13-2010, 03:47 PM
I think Mays' NFL success largely depends on the situation he lands in. To be more specific, I think it really depends how he's used. He's got pretty well defined strengths and weaknesses at this point, although he does have the upside to improve in some of the areas where he has weaknesses. If he's put in a scheme with a creative defensive coaching staff who can utilize him and put him in positions to take advantage of those strenghts and mask the weaknesses, I think he'll be an incredibly successful NFL player.

Here's a quote from Mays from an LA Times article that I think shows that he was asked to do a few things at USC, but not everything that an ideal safety should be able to do:

"In the NFL, you get paid to get interceptions " he said. "It started to pay off once I started to look for the ball. I know I can do it. I wasn't really coached just to do that at USC, but I know I can make that transition."

Now time will tell whether or not he'll actually create a significant amount of turnovers in the NFL, but he had a pick in the game I believe and probably could show improvement. In the NFL depending on what situations he's put in and what he's asked to do on the field he could certainly get a few picks a year, sometimes bad throws are gift wrapped to safeties. I know Kerry Rhodes got a couple towards the tail end of last year. Mr. Regular pointed out that he was tough to scout and I believe that is a major issue for NFL teams, just because he's capable of doing a lot with his size and straight line speed but it's unclear how much he will be able to do successfully.

I thought a couple of posters made really good points when they commented about how prevalent 3 CB sets are and that Mays won't be asked to cover slot guys. A major factor in his success in the NFL should be what he's asked to do. If you ask him to come in and play man coverage and expect him to pick off 10 passes a year and be a solid, mistake free safety then yeah, I'd imagine he won't succeed. But if he lands in a system where the coaching staff puts him in position to take advantage of his freakish size and straight line speed combo, be an enforcer and play a little center field without expecting him to creat a ton of turnovers, he could really succeed.

To answer the question posed by the OP, I'm not sure I really WANT Mays on the Jets but I think it's an interesting fit. Earlier in the thread bitonti pointed out that they may be looking to draft him at #29, and I could definitely buy that. Bringing Mays into a scheme with strong corner play and a very intelligent defensive coaching staff could be a great situation him. Given the scheme is designed to attack opposing offenses and force them into mistakes, but does mean that teams will make some plays if the defense makes a mistake, I think Mays fits that attitude very well. I'm sure Ryan and Pettine would tweak the scheme a little to take advantage of his skill set and mask his weaknesses, and he could be a very successful player with the Jets. Plus he certainly doesn't have issues being soft that rode Kerry Rhodes out of town. I know a lot of Jets fans are wary of drafting a "workout warrior" after Vernon Gholston, but Mays did what he was asked to do relatively well (obviously making some mistakes) at USC. At this point I've got the confidence in the current staff to the point where if they brought him in I'd be happy with the pick and trust their judgement to use him well and put him in a position to succeed. And if not, I'd be fine with it also. But it's an intriguing fit and one I could definitely be excited about if he ends up in green and white, because I think this is a situation where he could excel with his strengths being accentuated and a solid coaching staff surrounding him.

Iamcanadian
04-13-2010, 03:57 PM
I like him a lot but feel his career will be at SLB or even WLB. He's very physical and has the speed to cover TE's and RB out of the backfield without any problems.
Add in the fact that USC players often perform better as pros than they did in college and I'd take him late in round 1. There is risk but the reward could also be immense and as a late 1st rounder he could be a huge steal.

GhostDeini
04-13-2010, 04:07 PM
I like him a lot but feel his career will be at SLB or even WLB. He's very physical and has the speed to cover TE's and RB out of the backfield without any problems.
Add in the fact that USC players often perform better as pros than they did in college and I'd take him late in round 1. There is risk but the reward could also be immense and as a late 1st rounder he could be a huge steal.

Ummm, how did you have in mind ? I can only think of 1 of these type of guys, Brian Cushing.

The rest have come into college with ridiculous hype and just flopped as professionals.

Iamcanadian
04-13-2010, 04:16 PM
Ummm, how did you have in mind ? I can only think of 1 of these type of guys, Brian Cushing.

The rest have come into college with ridiculous hype and just flopped as professionals.

Rivers and Matthews got a lot of criticism for lacking the stats in college and are doing quite well as pros. Some USC players just played up to their hype or even better and a few flop like at any other school.
The fact is that USC has so much talent on hand that there is no need for one player to dominate like players are asked to do at other schools and it sometimes is misleading when looking only at their college performance.
I think May has a shot to be a very good OLB in the NFL, will he be, that has yet to be decided but in the end you can say that about every prospect entering the NFL. There are no guarantees when it comes to the draft.

D-Unit
04-13-2010, 04:26 PM

At WR, USC has a bad track record. However, I think it rings true for everything else... especially USC's defensive players. Cushing, Matthews and Rivers have been mentioned, but Polamalu, Terrell Thomas, Mike Patterson should all deserve mention as guys who turned out to be better pros than collegiates. The book hasn't been written yet for Maualuga, but I bet people will say he's been playing like a 1st rounder. People love to bash Darnell Bing, but Bing was a late round pick. What's there to criticize?

CC.SD
04-13-2010, 05:26 PM

The defensive players have a great track record in the NFL.

DallCowby1
04-14-2010, 12:54 AM
Yeah, I want the Cowboys to draft Taylor Mays! A steal at #27!

He has the given ability to be a great player. It's on the player to better himself (working out and classroom/film study).
Then factor in the coaching he'll receive from Wade Phillips, Dave Campo & Brett Maxie!

Caulibflower
04-14-2010, 01:21 AM
I think May's value is somewhere in the second half of the first. I don't think there's any way he slips to the second; the people mocking him there have swung too far on the "safeties who are too big to cover" pendulum. Mays had to do a lot last year, and part of that was taking more run-stopping responsibilities after losing 4 linebackers to the NFL; he didn't get to hang back and ballhawk like Earl Thomas. I'm not quite sure Berry is a better prospect either; they're just different. Mays misses some tackles going for hits, but that's what he is. He also beat Jahvid Best to the corner.

I think the Seahawks taking him at 14 is a little high value-wise, but I'd be fine with it. I was actually hoping the 'Hawks would take him this year after watching the 49ers grab Michael Crabtree in last years draft; the Seahawks could absolutely use someone in the deep middle to distract Larry Fitzgerald, Steve Breaston, Michael Crabtree, and Vernon Davis. I actually think Vernon Davis would eat Taylor Mays' lunch, but I'd also have to think he'd have Crabs and Breaston sneaking peeks before extending for catches. Bottom line: I will in no way be upset if the Seahawks take Mays at 14, but I also think that they could trade down for more picks and still get him.