PDA

View Full Version : Trent Williams Top Tackle?

keylime_5
04-11-2010, 03:54 PM
I know this has been discussed a lot recently. But I think it deserves a big fat thread

http://rob-rang.blogs.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/13682485/20866717?tag=comBlogEntryListCnt;entry20866717

If the Redskins take Williams I imagine KC will take Okung. Seattle GM John Schneider is said to "love" Bryan Bulaga and he would be a good fit in their scheme (though not as good as Trent Williams who is probably the guy they really want) and Mike Lombardi said Seattle is eyeing a tackle. What do you guys think KC and Seattle would do in that situation? And Oakland and Buffalo as well?

gpngc
04-11-2010, 04:13 PM
Seattle would probably just take Bulaga (maybe Berry).

If they did take Bulaga and the Bills really didn't like Clausen they'd either take Campbell, Davis, or maybe Spiller.

Splat
04-11-2010, 04:20 PM
I think the Chiefs would strongly consider taking Okung, even if some Chiefs fans don't want to hear it.

Mr.Regular
04-11-2010, 04:26 PM
Trent Williams is officially the most overrated prospect in the draft.
He sucked last year at LT but because of his great athleticism, people are forgetting his tape from the left side and projecting him as a top 5 guy.

Teams may want to know they can get an athletic freak with questionable LT tape later in round 1 in Bruce Campbell.

keylime_5
04-11-2010, 04:33 PM
Seattle would probably just take Bulaga (maybe Berry).

If they did take Bulaga and the Bills really didn't like Clausen they'd either take Campbell, Davis, or maybe Spiller.

yeah, it seems the seahawks are targeting one of those three tackles with their 6th pick. I wonder if the Chiefs would take Bulaga over Okung like Scott said in his mock a few weeks ago. That would be crazy.

PossibleCabbage
04-11-2010, 04:35 PM
I really don't get the love for Trent Williams. Sure, he's only a slightly inferior athlete to Bruce Campbell, but his tape is only slightly better. He's a guy I'd love on the right side, but he's not a guy I'd feel comfortable with protecting my franchise on the left side.

This may be correctable, but he really plays top-heavy a lot of the time and so his practical range is really not representative of his athleticism so he's vulnerable to speed rushers. His punch isn't great and he doesn't always do the best job staying on blocks, so he can get bull rushed. He will regularly stop moving his feet when trying to stay on a block, which means he's vulnerable to a guy with a good counter to his primary pass rushing move.

That's not to say his game is bad, he has a lot of great characteristics that would make him great on the right side, but all of his negative characteristics make me worry a lot about putting him on the left side.

If he goes top 10, he'll probably be the worst OT to go in the top 10 since Gallery.

Brent
04-11-2010, 04:36 PM
I just want Trent Williams to be our RT...

TACKLE
04-11-2010, 04:51 PM
Trent Williams is my #1 rated OT. He is easily the most athletic offensive lineman in the draft. He has great feet and is very fluid in his movements. He combines that with really solid power and enough strength to where you never see him getting driven back by a bull rush. He also is tough and plays with a nasty demeanor. In my eyes, he has the most complete game of any OT in this draft. Anyone who said he sucked this year clearly did not watch enough Oklahoma. I watched him closely against my Hurricanes, in his worst game of the season, and with the exception of just a couple plays play, he had a solid. He was the only returning starter and was learning a new position. He didn't look as good early in the season, but once he got the feel for the position, he was great. He made it look effortless blocking Big 12 defensive ends. He has a great base and he doesn't overextended on his kick step. He is still needs to improve a little bit technically and needs to have a little better awareness with blitzers, but he definitely has the ability to be a great LT at the next level.

Splat
04-11-2010, 04:52 PM
I wonder if the Chiefs would take Bulaga over Okung like Scott said in his mock a few weeks ago. That would be crazy.

Are you trying to hurt me? :(

keylime_5
04-11-2010, 04:57 PM
If Williams and Okung go 4th and 5th in some order then the top 5 players will all be from the Big 12, and 4 of the 5 from an Oklahoma school.

Unbiased
04-11-2010, 04:59 PM
yeah, it seems the seahawks are targeting one of those three tackles with their 6th pick. I wonder if the Chiefs would take Bulaga over Okung like Scott said in his mock a few weeks ago. That would be crazy.

I don't get the relevance with Scott Pioli's relationship with Kirk Ferentz. Did Pioli ever draft an Iowa player when he was with the Patriots?

Mr.Regular
04-11-2010, 04:59 PM
If Williams and Okung go 4th and 5th in some order then the top 5 players will all be from the Big 12, and 4 of the 5 from an Oklahoma school.
Wow pretty crazy really. We could be looking at Oklahoma, Nebraska, Oklahoma, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State.

MikeTeel
04-11-2010, 05:00 PM
Alex Gibbs would be able to work wonders with Trent Williams. Trents best chances at being a succesful LT is with the Seahawks.

keylime_5
04-11-2010, 05:02 PM
Truth. I think Bulaga would fit very well in Seattle as well.

vidae
04-11-2010, 05:03 PM
I don't want an OT 5th overall period, but if it HAD to be one, I'd take Okung.

I absolutely do not understand taking Bulaga over Okung or even Williams at this point. It makes absolutely no sense, especially when someone clearly puts Okung ahead of Bulaga and still has him going to us at #5 ahead of Okung. If we're going to take an OT, why not take the best one?

Splat
04-11-2010, 05:08 PM
I don't get the relevance with Scott Pioli's relationship with Kirk Ferentz.

I don't get it either I think Pioli is so hard to read that people are just grasping at any thing.

vidae
04-11-2010, 05:11 PM
I don't get the relevance with Scott Pioli's relationship with Kirk Ferentz. Did Pioli ever draft an Iowa player when he was with the Patriots?

The connection is not a factor, period. When you're about to pay a kid 40 million+ dollars, you take the best player available, and that is not Bulaga if Okung is on the board. The connection is a way for people to try to support their pick when they have no other basis to do so, that's it.

superman8456
04-11-2010, 05:11 PM
I absolutely love this guys versatility. He could come into the NFL and be a starter at any of the 5 positions along the line from day 1. Whoever gets this guy is set for a while.

jth1331
04-11-2010, 05:12 PM
I don't know if Trent is the best OT in the draft, but he is a solid prospect. People say he had a poor year last year, but that whole OL looked horrible last year, and besides he had to start the bowl game at freakin center just to have someone there due to injuries.
I'd rank him high, but I don't know if I'd put him in the top 5.

Oaktown1981
04-11-2010, 07:16 PM
I hope he drops to 8th for the Raiders.

JFLO
04-11-2010, 07:22 PM
I'm kinda down on Trent Williams right now.

I agree with Mr.Regular in terms that his ability to play LT is a bit overblown at the moment. I mean, he didn't, by any means, excel at the position in 2009 and looked like he was much better suited on the right side at the next level.

He's an athlete, but whose to say he can handle the pass rush of guys like Jared Allen, Mario Williams and Julius Peppers? He's athletic, but I really don't think he's a franchise tackle right now.

Stock is overblown.

Brothgar
04-11-2010, 07:28 PM
Okung is by far the top LT in this draft. I like Williams as the #2 OT/LT. But from film to measurables to anything else you want to look at Okung is the best guy at the LT position.

Clarkw267
04-12-2010, 02:48 AM
Wow pretty crazy really. We could be looking at Oklahoma, Nebraska, Oklahoma, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State.

Don't forget about Dez Bryant... could be adding another Okie St. in there at #6 to Seattle.

DiG
04-12-2010, 08:06 AM
i trust shanny but i think okung should be the pick. a trade down for williams though would be sweet if we can pick up another pick..