PDA

View Full Version : Buying a New(ish) Car

Hermstheman83
04-11-2010, 05:15 PM
Hey guys,
I know this isn't a topic one would typically publish on a site of draftniks. But generally speaking, you guys seem pretty intelligent and reasonable(Raider fans, excluded :) ) anyways. I was wondering if you guys' had any pointers on how to deal with car salesman, how to spot a junky car, etc. Any pointers is great guys. Go KC!

RaiderNation
04-11-2010, 05:24 PM
I dont like you

Addict
04-11-2010, 05:31 PM
I dont like you

I do so wonder why ;)

Matthew Jones
04-11-2010, 05:53 PM
You can get a Bugatti Veyron for only a couple million. They're pretty nice.

vidae
04-11-2010, 05:57 PM
Show me the Carfax!

jayceheathman
04-11-2010, 06:00 PM
You can get a Bugatti Veyron for only a couple million. They're pretty nice.

Save your money and get the Corvette ZR-1. They are much nicer.

wicket
04-11-2010, 06:02 PM
dont buy russian cars, they crash and will take your whole administration with you

Brent
04-11-2010, 06:08 PM
dont buy russian cars, they crash and will take your whole administration with you
I hope this is a Polish dead prez joke. If so, major props.

wicket
04-11-2010, 06:13 PM
I hope this is a Polish dead prez joke. If so, major props.

of course it is, still dont know what that guy was doing in an antonov that had problems like 5 times before

only other way it would make sense if a lada crashed into my office and my office burned down because of it (which never happened)

descendency
04-11-2010, 06:21 PM
If it's a Toyota, make sure you can release the accelerator.

TitanHope
04-11-2010, 07:12 PM
If it's a Toyota, make sure you can release the accelerator.

To be fair, their slogan is "Moving Forward."

CashmoneyDrew
04-11-2010, 07:44 PM
Volvo for life!

But seriously, just do your research and remember you're the one in control. Don't get pushed around, you're the one with the money.

wogitalia
04-11-2010, 09:11 PM
Make sure you get a car that has either been pre-inspected or that you find someone to inspect it for you.

That is the best way to be sure.

As for price, do your research, I'm sure you have some idea what kind of car you want, so get on google and find what a decent price for that car is, making sure to check the year and odometer readings as these are good markers of a car's worth.

Job
04-11-2010, 09:13 PM
Here we only know about buying ducks.

Cicero
04-11-2010, 09:14 PM
--ls2 Gto.

HawkeyeFan
04-11-2010, 09:36 PM
Talk to your bank before you even start looking for a car, so they can approve you for "so and so" amount. Don't get a loan through the car company and never tell them how much you can afford total and monthly. Tell them at the end so you can decide on the car YOU want.

vikes_28
04-11-2010, 10:32 PM
Make sure if it's a used care, you see the car history. It shows you if it's been in accidents, or if there have been any problems with it, or something has been replaced. What HawkeyeFan said, I totally agree. Get the loan approved from the bank first.

MetSox17
04-12-2010, 01:06 AM
It sounds lame, but get the carfax for it. It's worth to get a one month subscription if you're shopping for cars. Get the VIN # from the windshield, it's usually in the far bottom, right handed corner, behind the steering wheel. Write it down and do the research. You can find out how many owners it had and if it was ever damaged.

If you're buying out of a car lot, make sure you ask if the title is clean. Car lots usually sell salvaged vehicles, which you can't put full coverage insurance later on.

Keep your options open. Don't give the salesman too much leverage. If you find a car you like, make sure you find out what the prices are like everywhere else.

If you don't have great credit, it's probably better to get a co-signer if possible, so you can get a lower interest rate. Someone with average to below average credit will usually be given a 13ish % interest rate, which is a reaming.

Hope this helps a bit.

BlindSite
04-12-2010, 03:55 AM
Remember you're the one with the money and you never have to give anyone your specific number. Salesmen always have two things, the ticket price and how much they can sell a car for.

It's an unwritten rule that with cars someone's going to offer you less than you're advertising for a car, so don't be afraid to offer a little bit off the sticker price.

Check for any kind of bumps and scratches, check under any aftermarket covers on seats, always check in the boot too, people can haul stuff that leaks and ruins carpets.

Check around the bumpers and look for overspray of paint which might point to an impact.

Open the hood and when you look at the engine either side should have completely parallel and straight struts holding it in place, if there's dents or bends it might be a sign someone other than a mechanic has played with the engine, or it's had a frontal impact.

Turn the steeringwheel full lock to each side and check if there's undue wearing on the tires which could indicate and alignment or suspension issue.

When you start it up check there's no unusual knocks or squeals in the engine.

other than that GS whatever make and model you're looking to buy to find out how much you're looking at value wise, any common issues and how easy parts are to find.