PDA

View Full Version : This year's draft has two first rounds.

RealityCheck
04-11-2010, 06:07 PM
I've been saying this for some time now, and after seeing this, I can pretty much confirm it.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/04/11/belichick-sees-second-round-as-being-another-first-round/

The 2010 draft begins in only 11 days. For the first time, it invades prime time, with round one on Thursday night, rounds two and three on Friday, and the rest on Saturday.

We've been hearing for weeks that the second day will entail plenty of possible wheeling and dealing, with the Rams (who hold the top selection in round two) dangling the pick to the highest bidder and other teams at the top of the second stanza working out contingent deals with those who'd like to jump up and snag rookies who squirted through round one.

Pats coach Bill Belichick agrees.

"I kind of think the second round will now be like the first round," Belichick tells Tony Grossi of the Cleveland Plain Dealer. "Take those [top] 32 players out of there, whoever they are, now you're starting all over again for that second round. And I can see it being approached more as that first round.

"In the past, you kind of rolled into that round. Now, to actually stop and have the whole night to sit there and think about it and talk to other teams and develop a new strategy. Everybody does that on the second day; now we have three days. It's a different dynamic."

As a practical matter, it means that the top of round four also could entail some drama, since it's the round to launch the Saturday action. The extent to which the possibility of trades could generate interest remains to be seen; though we expect a huge increase in the ratings for Thursday night and a strong showing on Friday, the Saturday 4-5-6-7 phase could end up being an event that even the most die-hard NFL fans will avoid, especially if the sun is out, the grill is hot, and the pool is luke.

Agree? Disagree?

evenar
04-11-2010, 06:11 PM
In addition to this the draft seem to be deeper in talent, many have pointed out the possibility of a rookie wage scale coming in 2011 as a factor. Hope Scott can put out a number of 2/3 round grades this year compared to last year, that would be great.

I_C_DeadPeople
04-11-2010, 06:17 PM
I think the odd thing thing about that line of thinking is that all teams, GM's. coaches, etc always talk about 'following the draft board'. But I think the more time teams have, in this case overnight, the more susceptible people are to change their draft boards, to go against the board. I think human nature will be more of a factor, time to question the board, time for scouts/coaches to make cases for certain players (again), time to change the board, etc.

Pitt
04-11-2010, 06:22 PM
stopped at PFT link

JFLO
04-11-2010, 06:24 PM
All I know is that this is going to be "The Year of the Trade."

With the draft being three days and a ton of players that could literally go anywhere from Rounds 1-3, there is going to be a lot of movement.

I could honestly see at least 5-8 trades in the first round alone, then maybe around the same number in the 2nd round.

Brent
04-11-2010, 06:29 PM
In addition to JFLO's comment, teams will probably be more likely to trade players they have, with extra time to negotiate the compensation.

parcells
04-11-2010, 06:39 PM
...says Bill Belichick, the guy with three second round picks.

ALP1987
04-11-2010, 06:39 PM
I guess it does give teams another night to look at the prospects but they have already had more then enough time to decide who they are going to pick. They have their plan A's, B's all the way through Z at each pick by this point already.

Calvin & Kevin
04-11-2010, 06:47 PM
It occurs to me that this year, the plan to have two prime-time nights will work out smashingly due to the overall talent in the draft, as well as the Tebow factor as he most likely will go in round two.

Next year, or some other year when the talent level is closer to normal or perhaps even below, that second prime time night is going to be the snoozer of all time.

Middle America will be going "Who the hell is that and why the hell would I ever have watched East Carolina or San Jose State play college football?" CLICK.

And then we'll go back to a more sane draft setup.

scpanther22
04-11-2010, 06:47 PM
I guess it does give teams another night to look at the prospects but they have already had more then enough time to decide who they are going to pick. They have their plan A's, B's all the way through Z at each pick by this point already.

Agree

I think it will be more action but not as much as people think.