PDA

View Full Version : Is This Draft Really That GREAT?!?!?

glazeduck
04-11-2010, 09:26 PM
I'm curious to see what people think about this. Am I being too pessimistic here?

The "pros" always laud this draft as being one with great talent and great depth. While I agree with the depth, I'm struggling to see alot of "no-brainer" talent at the top.

I think it's pretty obvious that Suh, McCoy and Berry are as can't-miss as they come, but who else is there beyond them?

-Bradford has durability questions, played mostly in the spread, and doesn't exactly have a "cannon" for an arm.
-Okung seems like a great pass blocker but is questionable in the run game.
-Bulaga, many feel projects better inside or on the right side. He's not a great athlete and has shorter-than-ideal arms.
-Dez Bryant's question marks are widely known. Some think he's the next Michael Irvin, some think he's the next Mike Williams.
-Anthony Davis has similar maturity/personality question marks.
-JPP had great production and looks like he could be a beast but is thus-far a one year wonder.
-Mays has serious coverage issues.
-Some people love Jimmy Clausen, others (AHEM Todd McShay) hate him.
-Bruce Campbell grades out as a 3rd round value for alot of people, but his workout warrior status probably guarantees him being the next Oakland Raider.
-Trent Williams had a great combine, but hasn't had the type of production at LT that scouts have wanted to see. He very well might need to be a RT.

These are all guys who have been talked about in or around the top 10, and ALL, to me seem like they have pretty solid bust potential.

Moving deeper into the draft...
-Golden Tate doesn't really wow me.
-Joe Haden had a surprisingly slow 40 for what teams thought he would run.
-Jerry Hughes and Brandon Graham lack ideal size. They could be the next Freeney, could be the next undersized flop.
-Iupati WILL have serious problems holding. Mark my words, he's a good athlete and has good size, but he's not a great technician at all.
-Jermaine Gresham really seems to have lost a step or two since his injury. Will it come back? If it doesn't he's really only above average.
-Demaryius Thomas has production and injury question marks.
-Patrick Robinson looks the part but never had the type of production that a good football player should have had.
-Tim Tebow is a 4 year project - AT BEST.
-Sean Witherspoon is a great personality and great athlete but he never dominated games.
-Mt. Cody has motivation, endurance, health, and weight questions.
-Carlos Dunlap: see Anthony Davis

Obviously there's alot of names I've left out. I think guys like CJ Spiller, Rolando McClain, Derrick Morgan, Sergio Kindle, Dan Williams, Maurkice Pouncey, Kyle Wilson, Earl Thomas, Jared Odrick, Charles Brown and Brian Price are pretty much can't miss guys, but my question is...

With this many top-rated players in the draft w/ seemingly serious question marks... Is this draft really THAT GOOD? Are these guys as good as prospects in the past who have simply been over-analyzed? Or is this draft getting more hype than it deserves thanks to big names like Clausen, Cody, Tebow (blech), Spiller, etc.?

ericzedwards
04-11-2010, 09:32 PM
Demaryius Thomas has production and injury question marks.

I know this is only addressing one very small part of your post, but would you really say production is a question mark for Thomas? If anything, I think he absolutely maxed out the production possible for a wide receiver in that offense. Guy looks like a stud to me as long as he can learn to run a complete route tree.

keylime_5
04-11-2010, 09:35 PM
It's great b/c of the number of guys with 1st and 2nd round grades. You can get a 3rd round prospect in round 4 or 5.

glazeduck
04-11-2010, 09:36 PM
I know this is only addressing one very small part of your post, but would you really say production is a question mark for Thomas? If anything, I think he absolutely maxed out the production possible for a wide receiver in that offense. Guy looks like a stud to me as long as he can learn to run a complete route tree.

Agreed. He did what he could.

But if you ask a scout I guarantee you they'd say the wished he were in a pass-happy offense.

There's been plenty of wrs that have looked like studs in college and been duds in the pros, and at the very least, you can want more film of him running routes, fighting for balls, etc.

One area where I think Ga. Tech's offense will actually be beneficial to him is his run-blocking. Guys like TO, Hines Ward and Brandon Marshall have really made the art-form of run blocking more important in the league...

RaiderNation
04-11-2010, 09:37 PM
This is a really deep class. Theres probably around 40 prospects that could grade out to a 1st round grade IMO. You usually see only around 20

Addict
04-11-2010, 09:41 PM
This is a really deep class. Theres probably around 40 prospects that could grade out to a 1st round grade IMO. You usually see only around 20

pretty much this.

JRTPlaya21
04-11-2010, 09:41 PM
Yeah it is....but I'm really looking forward to 2011 now lol.

glazeduck
04-11-2010, 09:42 PM
Like I said, I get, and agree w/ the depth argument. Is that where all the hype is coming from? Seems to me that a "GREAT" draft, as this one is often called, should have alot of can't-miss, elite prospects.

W/ this draft, I'd say that title can only be applied to Spiller, Berry and Suh.

Crickett
04-11-2010, 09:43 PM
Like I said, I get, and agree w/ the depth argument. Is that where all the hype is coming from? Seems to me that a "GREAT" draft, as this one is often called, should have alot of can't-miss, elite prospects.

There is no such thing.

BeerBaron
04-11-2010, 09:47 PM
As has been mentioned, it's all about the depth. There are going to be guys going in the 2nd and 3rd rounds who could have first round pick type impacts even as rookies.

JFLO
04-11-2010, 10:16 PM
Yeah it is....but I'm really looking forward to 2011 now lol.

From an initial perspective, I don't even think 2011 is close to 2010.

Now that's not saying much because that is usually the way it happens as soon as one class ends and another begins.

This draft is going to be very good. Obviously some of it has to do with the amount of tremendous depth at certain positions, but also to the fact that it is three ******* days.

JRTPlaya21
04-11-2010, 10:20 PM
Hmmm well correct me. I'm looking forward to the 2011 first round. So I can use them in Madden :)

TACKLE
04-11-2010, 10:22 PM
Hmmm well correct me. I'm looking forward to the 2011 first round. So I can use them in Madden :)

The skill positions in next years draft are digusting. But at this point, O-Line and DT are very weak.

frubulubu
04-11-2010, 10:37 PM
Its a great draft class.

49erNation85
04-11-2010, 11:43 PM
I tihnk it all how it depends on how you look into the draft and see what players are there for the talent .Most this draft is all about O line and D fence this year.We should of known this last season but it is always hard to tell IMO.I'm just thinking people it was good be all go no go talent from QB to TE to De sort of draft and it sort of it with all the big name college QB .I'm gonna say your wrong about Tebow, He will be descent 2nd year of his NFL career.Its all gonna matter on what team and how is coached into the NFL etc . Give the poor kid a chance man and some respect .

RaiderNation
04-12-2010, 01:03 AM
I tihnk it all how it depends on how you look into the draft and see what players are there for the talent .Most this draft is all about O line and D fence this year.We should of known this last season but it is always hard to tell IMO.I'm just thinking people it was good be all go no go talent from QB to TE to De sort of draft and it sort of it with all the big name college QB .I'm gonna say your wrong about Tebow, He will be descent 2nd year of his NFL career.Its all gonna matter on what team and how is coached into the NFL etc . Give the poor kid a chance man and some respect .

Wtf when did anybody say anything bad about Tebow in this thread?

descendency
04-12-2010, 01:09 AM
Charles Brown is undersized (If he plays at 300lbs, I'll eat my words, but I see him playing next year around 270)

and Brian price has been called "fat" and "out of shape" by people who are working him out.

SKim172
04-12-2010, 01:26 AM
I think it's just media BS. If anything, this draft is a little thin on elite talent. The only position I think of as especially deep is defensive tackle.

I'm just thinking people it was good be all go no go talent from QB to TE to De sort of draft and it sort of it with all the big name college QB .

What?

jnew76
04-12-2010, 02:00 AM
The number of players I think can come in and make an impact in their first year from this draft is astounding. I think the number of rookies that make rosters this year will be extremely high. This is the type of draft where a team could potentially find a core of players that turn their entire franchise around.

A team like Cleveland, who has 5 of the top 100 picks, has the chance to change the recent fortunes of the entire Franchise.

A team like Philly, also with 5 of the top 100 picks, has the chance rebuild on the fly and ease the transition from McNabb to Kolb.

eaglesalltheway
04-12-2010, 07:12 AM
This draft is very, very, very good. Though there aren't those 20 elite can't miss guys, there are 40-50 guys who, in normal draft classes, could easily be first round picks. I was thinking about this a month ago, and thought to myself, if this draft is so good, how can a guy like JPP, who hasn't even played a full season, be a potential top 10 pick? But his potential is, like most scouts will say, through the roof, and posesses all the measurables, and to my knowledge, doesn't have character issues. But I've come to realize physical specimens will always be seen up higher in the draft than maybe they should.

Also, Graham is short, not small, Graham has great size, the only things working against him are his lack of height and arm length.

LookItsAlDavis
04-12-2010, 07:29 AM
I think it's just media BS. If anything, this draft is a little thin on elite talent. The only position I think of as especially deep is defensive tackle.

What?

I think he was talking about how there are so many big name college players out this year, that it's making the draft class look a lot better than it really is.

killxswitch
04-12-2010, 08:05 AM
Charles Brown is undersized (If he plays at 300lbs, I'll eat my words, but I see him playing next year around 270)

and Brian price has been called "fat" and "out of shape" by people who are working him out.

270? He was 303 lbs. at the combine. No NFL team will let one of their linemen get down to 270 lbs.

jth1331
04-12-2010, 08:37 AM
People need to stop using the terms elite and can't miss prospects. There is NEVER such a thing.
Aaron Curry I believe was a "can't miss prospect" and correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't he outplayed by the 4 LB's picked after him?(Cushing, Matthews, Mulauga, and Laurinitis)
Glenn Dorsey was pretty can't miss too if I recall.
These "can't miss" prospects rarely are "can't miss" and I hate seeing that term used in drafts.

JFLO
04-12-2010, 08:59 AM
People need to stop using the terms elite and can't miss prospects. There is NEVER such a thing.
Aaron Curry I believe was a "can't miss prospect" and correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't he outplayed by the 4 LB's picked after him?(Cushing, Matthews, Mulauga, and Laurinitis)
Glenn Dorsey was pretty can't miss too if I recall.
These "can't miss" prospects rarely are "can't miss" and I hate seeing that term used in drafts.

I'm pretty sure Curry was outplayed by another rookie LB, on his own team!

This year's draft is better than last year's. I think Aaron Curry was the only elite prospect last year. The other prospects (Jason/Andre Smith, Stafford, Monroe and Crabtree) were just "really good" if you wanna put it that way.

I think there are 3 elite prospects this year in McCoy, Suh and Berry. So in terms of elite talent, it's really not that bad.

I'll just say this in terms of elite talent:

2010: 3 (Eric Berry, Gerald McCoy, Ndamukong Suh)
2009: 1 (Aaron Curry)
2008: 2 (Darren McFadden, Jake Long)
2007: 3 (Megatron, Adrian Peterson, Joe Thomas)
2006: 2 (Reggie Bush, Mario Williams)
2005: 2 (Braylon Edwards, Cedric Benson)

Those are just the views in my perspective and someone might have 3 elite talents in 2008.

So in terms of Elite talent, I think 2010 is right up there.

DiG
04-12-2010, 09:50 AM
its all relative. certain positions are definitely stronger and deeper this year than last year and previous to that but other positions are obviously weaker. how do you judge a draft? the talent at the top? the depth in the middle rounds? everyone has their own ideas as to what makes a draft better or worse. i think certain positions are stacked this year like dt, cb, and te. the olb and safety classes look pretty good too. the OT class is top heavy in the first two rounds more than usual then falls off. the qb class is the weakest that has come through in a long time. the rb class appears weak compared to recent years but a few guys in the middle-later rounds have the potential to surprise.

Preston
04-12-2010, 10:21 AM
-Joe Haden had a surprisingly slow 40 for what teams thought he would run.
He ran with such poor technique at the combine. His Pro Day 40 was much more accurate because he actually ran the 40 the way you're supposed to.

-Iupati WILL have serious problems holding. Mark my words, he's a good athlete and has good size, but he's not a great technician at all.
Iupati struggles in pass protection. He's not as elite a guard prospect as most people say; I agree with your statement whole heartedly.

-Mt. Cody has motivation, endurance, health, and weight questions.
At every checkpoint of the draft process (i.e., Senior Bowl to Combine to Pro Day) Cody has lowered his weight and obviously has worked hard at it. I personally have eliminated most of the concerns about his work ethic or weight. However, you can't help but worry if he's anything more then a two down run stuffer.

marshallb
04-12-2010, 11:06 AM
Wtf when did anybody say anything bad about Tebow in this thread?

I don't like defending him, but I believe this is what he's talking about.

-Tim Tebow is a 4 year project - AT BEST.

Now, I feel Tebow is a 3 year project, who imo will never turn into a starting caliber NFL QB, but everyone has their opinion.

eaglesalltheway
04-12-2010, 01:05 PM
Iupati struggles in pass protection. He's not as elite a guard prospect as most people say; I agree with your statement whole heartedly.

That is why I think people who classify his as an LG are incorrect. Of course it depends on the system, but based on his style of play and size, he is much better suited as an RG if you ask me.