PDA

View Full Version : Anyone Going to the Draft this Year?

NJCagefighter
04-11-2010, 10:55 PM
I was by Radio City today and thought maybe a few of you would be lined up already like those Ipad geeks but didn't see anyone.

Anyone going this year? And do you have to line up early to get in on Thursday like it's a Jonas Brothers concert? And if you go how will we recognize you?

Draft King
04-11-2010, 11:12 PM
I went last year, probably won't end up being able to go this year because it's on a Thursday and I would miss too much school. I'd say I had to wait outside in line for 30-45 minutes, but it was worth it. Sat right in front of the ESPN crew for the 1st round, then moved up directly beside Chris Mortensen for the 2nd round. It was cool because we could ask him questions about who was going to take who and he would answer because we were directly beside each other.

ThePudge
04-11-2010, 11:16 PM
I'll be there all three days. I always get the draft hat & wear my Carson Palmer jersey. It'll be my sixth year in a row.

vidae
04-11-2010, 11:18 PM
I think it'd be cool to go once, to say I did it, but I really like hanging with some friends and pigging out while it's on.

ThePudge
04-11-2010, 11:23 PM
I think it'd be cool to go once, to say I did it, but I really like hanging with some friends and pigging out while it's on.

I assure it's cool to go every year too haha. I love the idea of sitting around friends with beers & food but you can't beat the atmosphere and fanbase at Radio City Music Hall. A very interesting event only for the diehards. Stadium food prices suck but sneaking stuff in usually works. Curious to see how this stupid three-day format works out for the fans.... it's all for tv ratings at this point, fans that go are kind of thrown under the bus in some ways (especially in this format.)

RaiderNation
04-12-2010, 01:05 AM
Ive always wanted to go. Maybe once Im out of high school I can get a crew to go

foozball
04-12-2010, 01:10 AM
I'll be in NYC on Saturday, the 24th. How do I get in? Just get in line in the morning? Is it free?

ThePudge
04-12-2010, 01:46 AM
I'll be in NYC on Saturday, the 24th. How do I get in? Just get in line in the morning? Is it free?

You'll be able to get in line and walk right in on Saturday for Rounds 4-7. Completely free.

RaiderNation
04-12-2010, 01:51 AM
How does it cost you think for round 1?

Splat
04-12-2010, 09:05 AM
I would rather watch it at home.

Caddy
04-12-2010, 09:10 AM
I'll be in NYC next week so I'll probably go!

ThePudge
04-12-2010, 10:55 AM
How does it cost you think for round 1?

It's a free event, tickets don't cost a penny... That said, it'd be very hard to get in for a first timer. You'd be spendin money on airfare, food for the weekend, and I'd recommend leavin 25$ to spend on merchandise.

For the people that say they'd rather watch it at home I'd urge them to actually get to Radio City before making a call. There's no interruption, no kids, wives, or any other distraction from football. It's a diehard event for football fans and you're not at the will of a network for receiving each pick (though there were quite a few times last year that NFL Network had the pick before it was announced to us in New York.) It's a unique experience that I'd rather spend with a couple thousand strangers and a friend each year than trying to isolate myself in a house or trying to get a band of football fans (that know little about the draft) to watch with me.

If anyone is going for Day Three (the no-tickets day) shoot me a PM and we'll figure out a way to meet up if ya want. That day is the most relaxed, the day the most funny **** happens, and a good chance to experience the draft for the first time in person.

NJCagefighter
04-12-2010, 12:18 PM
It's a free event, tickets don't cost a penny... That said, it'd be very hard to get in for a first timer. You'd be spendin money on airfare, food for the weekend, and I'd recommend leavin 25$ to spend on merchandise.

For the people that say they'd rather watch it at home I'd urge them to actually get to Radio City before making a call. There's no interruption, no kids, wives, or any other distraction from football. It's a diehard event for football fans and you're not at the will of a network for receiving each pick (though there were quite a few times last year that NFL Network had the pick before it was announced to us in New York.) It's a unique experience that I'd rather spend with a couple thousand strangers and a friend each year than trying to isolate myself in a house or trying to get a band of football fans (that know little about the draft) to watch with me.

If anyone is going for Day Three (the no-tickets day) shoot me a PM and we'll figure out a way to meet up if ya want. That day is the most relaxed, the day the most funny **** happens, and a good chance to experience the draft for the first time in person.

Maybe we can get a Draft Countdown group for this? Maybe we can score some groupies. LOL

CC.SD
04-12-2010, 12:35 PM
I would go but I'm pretty bummed, I didn't get invited. Honestly I was supposed to be a top 5 pick, but everyone's been saying my coverage skills aren't that great and that I'm a workout warrior. I came back for my senior year to contend for a title and this is what I get? ****** Sanchez. Enjoy being on SNL ***** you cost me millions of dollars.

fear the elf
04-12-2010, 12:52 PM

I can't imagine a worse way to spend my beloved draft days. Give my a couple friends and a **** ton of food. Nothing better.

Grizzlegom
04-12-2010, 12:53 PM
I went in 2008 and it was DEFINITELY worth going. I was planning on making it a yearly tradition but real life prevented me from going last year and by skipping I voided my tickets for life thing and I hear they aren't doing it anymore so I'll be spending it on my couch for the next few years. But I agree with Pudge, if you haven't done it, you really have no idea what its like and its definitely worth trying at least once if you are a die hard.

ThePudge
04-12-2010, 01:07 PM
I can't imagine a worse way to spend my beloved draft days. Give my a couple friends and a **** ton of food. Nothing better.

I'd rather be able to talk intelligently about football with a bunch of diehards. Strangers in the sense that you've likely never met them before nor will you see them ever again, but from the moment you get in line & look at all the jerseys you realize all the fans there share a bond. It's not hard to start a conversation, you've got a subject. 90% of my friends are casual fans that would be screwed in Radio City, bored & unaware of players past the first/second round.

If you're a casual fan that enjoys eating, drinking, bumming with friends on draft day, there's nothing wrong with that. If you're an NFL Draft die-hard then you should put yourself in the best position, in the comfy seats of Radio City Music Hall next to all the passionate fans that you see only on your TV. Before I attended I knew the draft as a television program, in New York you see it as a legitimate event that you no doubt want to be a part of. There are no commercial breaks in the draft that I know & no one will hassle you for three days long as it's the best time of the year to zone out the rest of the world. A die-hard event. If you can't handle it, you don't go, but most everyone on this board should consider making the pilgrimage to the NFL Draft, the event, not the television program.

RealityCheck
04-12-2010, 01:11 PM
I'm just gonna sit back and watch Shane's stream :D

I will one day though.

NJCagefighter
04-17-2010, 09:08 AM
I'm going Saturday

Any hot young females want to accompany this young stud that day?

Who am I kidding asking on an NFL draft board for a hot girl on a date is like asking for diet tips from Rosie.

Anyway, I'm going here are tix info. Saturday has some promotions.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/story?id=09000d5d8172490e&template=with-video-with-comments&confirm=true

GoodellFTL
04-17-2010, 09:43 AM
I went in 2005, but I was only like 12 years old, and I still thought it was a pretty cool experience. There's actually a good amount of stuff to do there and it is fun interracting with other teams fans. I was going to go up this year for it, but they made it on a Thursday night and I have school the next day, so my dad isn't letting me go.