PDA

View Full Version : A trade was in the works (and almost took place Wednesday)?!

TacticaLion
03-15-2007, 10:45 PM
http://www.profootballtalk.com/rumormill.htm

POSTED 10:23 a.m. EDT; UPDATED 10:38 a.m. EDT, March 15, 2007

FINS FIXIN' TO MOVE UP?

Armando Salguero of the Miami Herald reports that the Dolphins might be bringing in quarterbacks JaMarcus Russell and Brady Quinn for pre-draft visits.

Though there's a chance (albeit slim) that Quinn will still be on the board when the Fins use the No. 9 overall pick, it's unlikely that Russell will fall that far.

Thus, Salguero suggests (and we agree) that Miami could be plotting a move up in round one.

There are rumors of talks between the Lions and other teams about the No. 2 overall pick, which Detroit currently owns. Indeed, we've caught wind of a trade that almost went down on Wednesday, which would have dropped Detroit deep into round one.

Under the trade value chart, the Fins would have to come up with 1,250 points in order to bridge the gap from No. 9 (which is worth 1,350 points) to No. 2 (which is worth 2,600 points). Alternatively, they'd be required to pony up an acceptable pack of players, possibly including quarterback Daunte Culpepper.

If healthy, Culpepper could be an intriguing fit in the Mike Martz offense. Some of Culpepper's best throws have come when he acts decisively in response to his first read. If Martz could get him to make quick decisions in a fast-paced offense, Culpepper might perform far better than when he stands in the pocket like a moose in the headlights.
All i've gotta say: that puts us in a great position to take Willis in round 1... AND I DON'T want stupid Culpepper! Give us some other great players... but not him. And, give us some picks.

Interesting pre-draft rumors... interesting but fun.

(You never know...)

Aard
03-15-2007, 10:53 PM
Three years ago I would have done backflips at the prospect of Daunte Culpepper in a Lions uniform. Now the thought makes me nauseous.

TacticaLion
03-15-2007, 11:09 PM
Three years ago I would have done backflips at the prospect of Daunte Culpepper in a Lions uniform. Now the thought makes me nauseous.Agree 8,000,000%!

Would rather have Jason Allen (although they wouldn't trade their 2006 1st round pick). Ah well.

Trading down that far would be fantastic, though.

Jagonsucker
03-16-2007, 12:51 AM
Culpepper>Kitna

IF this trade happens, Lions are gonna be fun in Madden.

TacticaLion
03-16-2007, 04:25 AM
Culpepper>Kitna

IF Madden is honest this year, the Lions will be worse with Culpepper than with Kitna.

Do we not realize: they JUST traded for Culpepper last year... if he was the stud QB he used to be, why the HELL would they get rid of him?

I don't want him.

Addict
03-16-2007, 05:36 AM
Culpepper>Kitna

dude... culpepper's stats are going to take a nosedive in '08. Not to mention he'll be listed as injury prone.

You're so... is there a word for what you are?

WMD
03-16-2007, 06:30 AM
The Lions love Kitna way too much to trade for Daunte Culpepper..

TacticaLion
03-16-2007, 06:34 AM
dude... culpepper's stats are going to take a nosedive in '08. Not to mention he'll be listed as injury prone.

You're so... is there a word for what you are?Agree with post.

He'll probably still be 88-90... but I don't want him.

Addict
03-16-2007, 06:34 AM
The Lions love Kitna way too much to trade for Daunte Culpepper..

yeah. they're passing on Quinn because they believe in Kitna for at least one more year (doubt it'll be for any longer though).

TacticaLion
03-16-2007, 06:37 AM
yeah. they're passing on Quinn because they believe in Kitna for at least one more year (doubt it'll be for any longer though).I think they want to believe in DanO and/or McCown... but, with McCown wanting out, I think they'll take Stanton and have DanO and Stanton compete for the starting job.

WMD
03-16-2007, 06:40 AM
yeah. they're passing on Quinn because they believe in Kitna for at least one more year (doubt it'll be for any longer though).

Which is why I think it's a good idea to draft Brady Quinn.. So he can sit for a year, and take over for Jon Kitna when the Coaching Staff feels he's through.

Addict
03-16-2007, 06:44 AM
Which is why I think it's a good idea to draft Brady Quinn.. So he can sit for a year, and take over for Jon Kitna when the Coaching Staff feels he's through.

well... that would be great. But it's not going to happen, Marinelli really looks to improve defense this year, and Millen sure as heck wants his first pick to be able to make instant impact, with him fighting for his job and all.

detroit4life
03-16-2007, 07:26 AM
no way that happens we're not getting culpepper. Martz even said when he interviewed for the Dolphins job tha tthey would need a new QB because he doesnt like culpepper or harington. Culpepper can throw deep and thats about it we're not going to make that trade for him. If it were for their second and third or somthign then thats fine

Addict
03-16-2007, 02:12 PM
Martz even said when he interviewed for the Dolphins job tha tthey would need a new QB because he doesnt like culpepper or harington.

wow. Why wouldn't the Detroit Lions offensive co÷rdinator like Joey Harrington... hmmmm... I wonder

Mythos
03-16-2007, 02:19 PM
Three years ago I would have done backflips at the prospect of Daunte Culpepper in a Lions uniform. Now the thought makes me nauseous.

This is an attempt at revenge for what we did to them with Joey.

TacticaLion
03-16-2007, 03:40 PM
Which is why I think it's a good idea to draft Brady Quinn.. So he can sit for a year, and take over for Jon Kitna when the Coaching Staff feels he's through.Once again, i'd rather fill a need in round 1 and draft Stanton in round 2. Playing for Martz/Marinelli and under Kitna is a great situation for a young QB... and we can get a stud with the first pick.

casskid
03-17-2007, 01:29 AM
If the Lions draft Quinn in round one theres no way he sits for a year anyway. Morons like Drew Sharp will be calling for Quinn after the Lions first loss, so probably week 1. Spend the first round pick on some one who can help right now. I like Stanton, but not enough to spend a second rounder on him unless Merriweather is off the board.

WMD
03-17-2007, 04:51 AM
Oh, yeah I'd rather trade down and pick up Patrick Willis.. but I wouldn't complain if we took Brady Quinn.

Mythos
03-17-2007, 09:39 AM
If the Lions draft Quinn in round one theres no way he sits for a year anyway. Morons like Drew Sharp will be calling for Quinn after the Lions first loss, so probably week 1. Spend the first round pick on some one who can help right now. I like Stanton, but not enough to spend a second rounder on him unless Merriweather is off the board.

To a lesser extent, I could see the same thing happening if we drafted Stanton.

princefielder28
03-17-2007, 09:41 AM
IF Madden is honest this year, the Lions will be worse with Culpepper than with Kitna.

Do we not realize: they JUST traded for Culpepper last year... if he was the stud QB he used to be, why the HELL would they get rid of him?

I don't want him.

Culpepeer isn't anywhere close to the player he was in 2004; he's lost his mobility, his accuracy is a bit off, and he doesn't threaten a defense like he use to. He's pretty much worthless!

Addict
03-17-2007, 02:11 PM

ANY designated quarterback of the future will bring about calls for his presence on the field when things don't go as desired, that's just something that they'll always have. Hell they could draft Jordan Palmer and have that problem.

Point is, we NEED a new QB after this season, and I don't like the idea of a rookie starter, so I'd rather take one this year, and get him ready to start next year.