PDA

View Full Version : Could the Chiefs Select Clausen?

Taklinn1
04-12-2010, 02:32 AM
Now, I know this is my first post, but you don't have to take it easy on me. I have thick skin.

Now, do you think the Chiefs could take/are considering Clausen?

Please consider the following:

(1) Cassel's contract is structured such that his release at the end of next season is likely.
(2) Clausen has thrived in Weis's system in Notre Dame, and Haley ran, more or less, the same system last year.
(3) Given that he knows the system, it reduces his learning curve, thus increasing his production in the beginning of his career.
(4) No team in the history of the draft has such detailed knowledge of a player.

I hope the Chiefs take him, as a Chiefs fan. Your thoughts?

Bald_81
04-12-2010, 02:35 AM
Pioli brings in his guy from New England only to give up on him two seasons later? Unlikely, if you ask me. I know he will value Weis' opinion and input but I just don't see them using that pick on Clausen when they have a ton of glaring needs and although Cassel could be better, he certainly isn't the problem.

Taklinn1
04-12-2010, 02:39 AM
Pioli brings in his guy from New England only to give up on him two seasons later? Unlikely, if you ask me. I know he will value Weis' opinion and input but I just don't see them using that pick on Clausen when they have a ton of glaring needs and although Cassel could be better, he certainly isn't the problem.

I will have to respectfully disagree that Cassel is not the problem. The man holds on to the ball FOREVER (even in new england, he took over 40 sacks.) He is 28 years old and has a noodle-arm and zero accuracy. His contract is structured for a stop-gap. Just my thoughts.

wicket
04-12-2010, 02:48 AM
MAYBE if the chiefs trade down into the mid-late teens and clausen is still on the board

Splat
04-12-2010, 08:29 AM
I will have to respectfully disagree that Cassel is not the problem. The man holds on to the ball FOREVER (even in new england, he took over 40 sacks.) He is 28 years old and has a noodle-arm and zero accuracy. His contract is structured for a stop-gap. Just my thoughts.

And?

You say he is 28 years old like that is old or something and having a strong arm is so overrated noodle armed QB have won many SB's.

Does he have some things to work on? Yes... That said he has been the guy for one season with little talent around him and no OC last year give the kid a chance.

I really like Clausen but it would be a wasted pick they need to put talent around Cassel and Clausen doesn't do that.

JFLO
04-12-2010, 08:37 AM
I'm seeing 2011 mocks with the Chiefs picking up guys like Locker, Luck or Mallett so if not this year, perhaps next?

villagewarrior
04-12-2010, 12:32 PM
I'm seeing 2011 mocks with the Chiefs picking up guys like Locker, Luck or Mallett so if not this year, perhaps next?

Sign me up for Luck if Cassel and the offense don't show improvement this year.

Cicero
04-12-2010, 12:36 PM
I'm not a Matt Cassel fan at all. That being said, I don't think the Chiefs are going to take a look at Clausen because they apparently liked him enough to trade for him and pay him.

3pac
04-12-2010, 03:16 PM
It'd be interesting to see Clausen and Weis working together again...

vidae
04-12-2010, 03:19 PM
Taking Clausen would be a mistake for this team.

Cassel struggled, but so did the entire offense. That generally happens when you fire your offensive coordinator a week before the season.

Let Weis coach him and the offense up. There is room for improvement. I think he's going to be fine.

Welcome to the boards. Check out the team section and come hang out in the KC forum. It's always great to have more Chiefs fans here.

matts22
04-12-2010, 04:16 PM
As a Chiefs fan, I'd be thrilled with either Clausen or Berry.

Splat
04-12-2010, 04:19 PM
As a Chiefs fan I will break something if Clausen is the pick.

Taklinn1
04-12-2010, 07:12 PM
And?

You say he is 28 years old like that is old or something and having a strong arm is so overrated noodle armed QB have won many SB's.

Does he have some things to work on? Yes... That said he has been the guy for one season with little talent around him and no OC last year give the kid a chance.

I really like Clausen but it would be a wasted pick they need to put talent around Cassel and Clausen doesn't do that.

28 in the NFL is OLD. Especially for grooming a QB. He is not a franchise QB. He is barely a suitable back-up. He cannot make NFL level throws. 35 yards is literally a hail-mary for him. He cannot read defenses or work through a progression. Further, even when Charles opened up defenses, he still couldn't convert. In fact, statistically, he got worse. Cassel isn't a kid, and he is not franchise QB caliber. Why waste time on him?

vidae
04-12-2010, 07:16 PM
Regardless of how bad you perceive Cassel to be, we have much bigger needs on this team.

Splat
04-12-2010, 07:19 PM
28 in the NFL is OLD. Especially for grooming a QB.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/p7w64fbqYQY&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/p7w64fbqYQY&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Crazy_Chris
04-12-2010, 07:36 PM
I can't see the Chiefs giving up on Cassel after 1 seaon considering that they invested a 2nd round pick and a big contract on him. Now if he plays badly this season next year might be a different story.

vidae
04-12-2010, 07:40 PM
Yeah I agree with you. It makes no sense to get rid of him this early, especially with all the stuff that has happened with last year and this offseason. They're going to give him a shot.

Taklinn1
04-12-2010, 07:53 PM
I'm not a Matt Cassel fan at all. That being said, I don't think the Chiefs are going to take a look at Clausen because they apparently liked him enough to trade for him and pay him.

Pioli may have liked him enough. Haley preferred Croyle. And Weis, when prompted about what he liked about Cassel, said something to the effect of "that he's on our team."

prock
04-12-2010, 08:18 PM
This thread is ********.

bored of education
04-12-2010, 08:41 PM
I will give up my Chiefs fandom and quite postinf online if the Chiefs draft Clausen, not only is it not a need I have Clausen rated like 23 on my big baord or so..so the value would be worse than picking a 3-4 DE in the top 3.

initial_flo
04-13-2010, 12:15 AM
The Chiefs spent 63 mil and 28 guaranteed to get Cassel for reasons I still can't quite figure out.

I think a Clausen pick would be a disaster even though the OP's logic does make sense.

Coach'em up Chiefs.

matts22
04-13-2010, 01:06 AM
Yeah I agree with you. It makes no sense to get rid of him this early, especially with all the stuff that has happened with last year and this offseason. They're going to give him a shot.

How do you plan on getting his replacement if he is bad this year? Because our schedule is basically giving us a guaranteed 6-7 wins, so don't plan on us having a top 5 pick next year. Our time to get a franchise QB is now. I guess you are waiting on us to draft the next Tom Brady in the 6th round. Have fun waiting on that.

vidae
04-13-2010, 03:33 AM
You are absolutely right. There are only two kinds of QBs to draft: top 5 picks, or 6th round steals. And with the new rule changes barring a team from moving up in the 1st round, it will be impossible for us to get a QB unless we take Clausen this year at 5.

I guess I'm going to be having fun for a while.

borg9
04-13-2010, 01:16 PM
It will be really interesting to see what the Chiefs do with the 5th pick. No one knows Clausen better than Weis. If . . . if, Clausen is a legitimate franchise quarterback, Weis will no doubt make the case to Pioli to draft him. Never pass up a franchise QB.

Or maybe, Weis doesn't think much of Clausen and KC decides to go another direction. The teams right behind the 5th pick should take serious pause before pulling the trigger on Clausen if that happens. How could they not dwell on the fact that Weis and KC passed?

matts22
04-13-2010, 04:45 PM
You are absolutely right. There are only two kinds of QBs to draft: top 5 picks, or 6th round steals. And with the new rule changes barring a team from moving up in the 1st round, it will be impossible for us to get a QB unless we take Clausen this year at 5.

I guess I'm going to be having fun for a while.

Who do you consider to be franchise QBs in the NFL? We must have VERY different definitions.

Let's look at Super Bowl winners in the free agency era:
2010 - Brees (32nd overall pick)
2009 - Roethlisberger (11th overall)
2008 - E. Manning (1st overall)
2007 - P. Manning (1st overall)
2006 - Roethlisberger (11th overall)
2005 - Brady (6th round)
2004 - Brady (6th round)
2003 - Johnson (9th round)
2002 - Brady (6th round)
2001 - Dilfer (6th overall)
2000 - Warner (undrafted)
1999 - Elway (1st overall)
1998 - Elway (1st overall)
1997 - Favre (33rd overall)
1996 - Aikman (1st overall)
1995 - Young (1st pick in supplemental draft)
1994 - Aikman (1st overall)
1993 - Aikman (1st overall)

This tells me that you need a top pick or you need to get extremely lucky.

no bare feet
04-13-2010, 04:51 PM
Well, a Super Bowl is the only way to be a franchise QB?

Average pick of 5 number 1s, a 32 and a 199 = 33rd pick!

Crazy_Chris
04-13-2010, 07:18 PM
How do you plan on getting his replacement if he is bad this year? Because our schedule is basically giving us a guaranteed 6-7 wins, so don't plan on us having a top 5 pick next year. Our time to get a franchise QB is now. I guess you are waiting on us to draft the next Tom Brady in the 6th round. Have fun waiting on that.

You are looking at this from too much of a fans point of view right now. I don't think many people would disagree with saying that Matt Cassel is more than likely not a true franchise QB. But that really doesn't matter from a front office point of view right now. The fact is that Scott Pioli traded an early second round pick, and then sigend Matt Cassel to a big contract worth $63 mil with $28 million garunteed(not exactly peanuts). Giving a guy who hasn't even taken a snap for your franchise that kind of money makes a huge statement. It screams "THIS IS MY GUY, HE IS THE FRANCHISE QB".

I can see where you/Taklinn1 are coming from(as I am sure most can), as most everyone last year didn't think Cassel was a true franchise QB. Aswell I think most would agree that Jimmy Clausen has the makings of a Franchise QB. But the facts are Pioli made a strong statement with his actions regarding Cassel. If he were to now draft Jimmy Clausen after Cassel only starting there for 1 season, it would be making a whole different statement. He would be basically saying yeah I made a huge mistake with Cassel, and I don't really know what the hell I am doing. Like it or not as a fan, but Scott Pioli commited to Cassel as his guy, he made his bed now he has to lie in it.

matts22
04-13-2010, 11:41 PM
He would be basically saying yeah I made a huge mistake with Cassel, and I don't really know what the hell I am doing. Like it or not as a fan, but Scott Pioli commited to Cassel as his guy, he made his bed now he has to lie in it.

Sorry, but I just totally disagree with this. Pioli has stated that he wants to change the culture of the franchise by bringing in competition at every position so that nobody becomes too comfortable. If he is true to his word (who knows?) then he needs competition at QB too. He may have paid Cassel a lot of money, but he structured his contract so that he would be easy to cut after next year. If Pioli drafted Clausen, he would not be admitting that Cassel was a mistake, he would be true to his word about changing the culture by creating competition. If Pioli was really committed to Cassel as much as you all seem to believe, he would have structured his contract completely different. I think Pioli is going to really listen close to Weis on this and we will find out how Weis feels about Clausen and Cassel next week. If Weis is more comfortable with Cassel, bring on Eric Berry!

vidae
04-13-2010, 11:59 PM
With how bad we are on defense, the pick cannot be a QB, especially not with the defensive talent at the top of the draft we'll be able to choose from.

QB, right now, is plain and simple a terrible pick for this franchise. Besides, if Cassel struggles really bad this year and we have another top 5 pick, bring on Jake Locker.

YotoJets007
04-14-2010, 10:44 AM
Right now, age is of no importance. See Warner and Delhomme. Chiefs need to become a playoff contender within 2 or 3 years. Cassel is already way ahead of Clausen right now when it comes to experience as a pro. If Clausen is projected to be a full ready by next year then go for it. Otherwise, top 5 money will be on other position.

Pioli may either trade down or take Eric Berry. Once trade down is successful, they may take JPP or McClain.

Splat
04-14-2010, 10:48 AM
Can we just lock this thread please?

JFLO
04-14-2010, 10:49 AM
I think Chiefs fans know deep down inside, that either Bulaga, Okung or Williams will be wearing an Arrowhead helmet next year.

Halsey
04-14-2010, 10:54 AM
The Chiefs remind me a little of the Rams over the last couple of years. They are committed to a QB with a large contract who they and their fans will want to think is the answer, but a year or two from now everyone will look back and realize they weren't really set at QB at all.

vidae
04-14-2010, 11:55 AM
I think Chiefs fans know deep down inside, that either Bulaga, Okung or Williams will be wearing an Arrowhead helmet next year.

No. We don't.

Brothgar
04-14-2010, 12:03 PM
What if the Broncos offered one of their 2nd round picks for Cassell?

vidae
04-14-2010, 12:05 PM
I'd say DEAL CITY!

Just kidding. I'd have to think about that.

edit: After careful consideration, I'd probably pass, but I guess it depends on what Weis thinks about the QB situation. I like Cassel, and think he could be very good, but it's not up to me! If it were, I'd say no.

matts22
04-14-2010, 03:20 PM
The Chiefs remind me a little of the Rams over the last couple of years. They are committed to a QB with a large contract who they and their fans will want to think is the answer, but a year or two from now everyone will look back and realize they weren't really set at QB at all.

Exactly. There are a few of us that understand this though.