PDA

View Full Version : Post your reactions...With the 2nd pick in the NFL draft, the Detroit Lions select..

LOLitsTomBrady
04-12-2010, 09:41 AM
Russel Okung..OT...Oklahoma State

http://www.mlive.com/lions/index.ssf/2010/04/money_matters_detroit_lions_co.html

me: ****!!!!!!!!!!

tblain1
04-12-2010, 10:20 AM
Russel Okung..OT...Oklahoma State

http://www.mlive.com/lions/index.ssf/2010/04/money_matters_detroit_lions_co.html

me: ****!!!!!!!!!!

It would be that feeling where your shoulders drop, you exhale in disappointment and shake your head a bit as you realize our defense could have been awesome. But then I would pick myself up thinking at least our line gets a lot better and our offense should improve; just not as much as our defense would have had we picked Suh.

SINCE1978
04-12-2010, 11:23 AM
First thought ... wrong guy. That article plays the "what if" game. Kowalski is a self admitted neurotic & a pessimist, so for him to worry or write about a possible DT bust or safer pick being LT is no surprise.

"What if" Suh is the next great defensive player in this league & revolutionizes the position? What if we pass b/c we play it safe & Tampa Bay trips into gettitng the stud we wanted but were too scared to take for $$ reasons? What about that Killer?

Not much sets apart Okung from Willaims ... from Davis ... from Bulaga ... from Campbell etc. imo.

wingboy2999
04-12-2010, 11:59 AM
My first reaction is.... Killer needs to stop this video crap. Write the damn article so I can read it. I'm not watching a video at work.

This is what I want to happen in order.

1. Suh
2. McCoy
3. Trade down
4. Okung

noondog
04-12-2010, 11:32 PM
I would be alright with it, although he wouldn't be my first choice. As long as it's one of Suh, McCoy, Okung...in that order...I'll be pleased regardless.

The pick that I'll really be holding my breath for is the second rounder...it will be very interesting to see who goes off the board and more importantly who is left and which direction the Lions decide to go with it.

Crickett
04-12-2010, 11:43 PM
Okay, I realize that Suh is arguably the best prospect in the draft but.......... would you guys really hate it that much if the Lions finally replaced Jeff Backus?

Addict
04-13-2010, 04:36 AM
Okay, I realize that Suh is arguably the best prospect in the draft but.......... would you guys really hate it that much if the Lions finally replaced Jeff Backus?

YES. The relative upgrade that a rookie LT would be over backus doesn't compare tot he relative upgrade of a Suh or McCoy to our defensive line.

wingboy2999
04-13-2010, 06:01 AM
YES. The relative upgrade that a rookie LT would be over backus doesn't compare tot he relative upgrade of a Suh or McCoy to our defensive line.

What he said.

tblain1
04-13-2010, 10:33 AM

Yeah, thats basically what it comes down to. With all the changes that have happened in the offseason, this is still true.

Brothgar
04-13-2010, 12:14 PM
Me: WOO! really no LT is ever an "Elite" prospect. Brick wasn't listed as Elite, hell even Joe Thomas was listed as Elite. I love Russell Okung as a prospect. He has no holes in his game. He doesn't have any injury issues. He makes two positions better right away by moving Backus to RT and putting yet another Millen 1st round pick in a backup role adding depth to the OT position. While Suh could be a once in a decade prospect but at this point I think it is 5-10% hype.

wingboy2999
04-13-2010, 12:18 PM
Me: WOO! really no LT is ever an "Elite" prospect. Brick wasn't listed as Elite, hell even Joe Thomas was listed as Elite. I love Russell Okung as a prospect. He has no holes in his game. He doesn't have any injury issues. He makes two positions better right away by moving Backus to RT and putting yet another Millen 1st round pick in a backup role adding depth to the OT position. While Suh could be a once in a decade prospect but at this point I think it is 5-10% hype.

So 90-95% is reality of him being once in a decade? Yeah... I'll take that.

WMD
04-13-2010, 01:04 PM
Uhh.. both Brick and Joe Thomas were listed as Elite at the time. Don't know where you got that from.

And how does a Rookie LT and a 10 year vet LT playing RT for the first time make two positions instantly better..?

SINCE1978
04-13-2010, 02:33 PM
Repeat ... as a former lineman, don't listen to average Joe sports talk radio jockey about the ease of switching positions on the Oline. If they have not done it, they are guessing & trust me, it's difficult. Not impossible, but difficult.

It drives me nuts when people blindly say drafting a LT moving Backus inside fills 2 holes on your line. Wrong answer, that is sooo off base! That is essentially like putting 2 rookies in your starting line up. Does that make Stafford better? I say no way, it does not give me that warm fuzzy feeling.

I moved from C to RT. It took me a few seasons to really get it ...

Addict
04-13-2010, 03:44 PM
Uhh.. both Brick and Joe Thomas were listed as Elite at the time. Don't know where you got that from.

And how does a Rookie LT and a 10 year vet LT playing RT for the first time make two positions instantly better..?

I'm gonna go with magic.

WMD
04-13-2010, 04:19 PM
I'm gonna go with magic.

Well, maybe if Marinelli was coaching us again..

Iamcanadian
04-13-2010, 04:38 PM
I'd take Okung in a heartbeat if he is rated as a top 5 prospect in this year's draft. This is a very strong and deep draft and is particularly strong at the DL positions with as many as 45 projected to go in the top 4 rounds.
I've followed the draft a long time and DLmen often have trouble adjusting to the next level and often disappoint and never reach their potential.
I've also heard that from pick 20 to pick 48, the talent differential is minuscule with the 48th pick having a solid chance to be better than the guy picked #20. IMO, we can find a stud DLmen in rounds 2 or 3 who potentially could turnout to be even better than Suh or McCoy but we aren't likely going to find a LT past round 1.
So, we could have an all pro LT and a very solid at worse, DLmen, or we can draft a DLman and leave LT to another year putting Stafford at risk with a chance his career is shortened. I just don't like the odds for Stafford if we leave him unprotected for another year and I don't want to put the whole rebuilding stage at risk just because we feel the defense needs a lot of work. The defense can be helped considerably whether we draft Suh or McCoy or not. Round 2 is going to have a solid 1st round talent left on the DL when we use our second pick so why not solve 2 serious problems in one stroke.
Just my thoughts on the matter.

wingboy2999
04-13-2010, 05:15 PM
I'd take Okung in a heartbeat if he is rated as a top 5 prospect in this year's draft. This is a very strong and deep draft and is particularly strong at the DL positions with as many as 45 projected to go in the top 4 rounds.
I've followed the draft a long time and DLmen often have trouble adjusting to the next level and often disappoint and never reach their potential.
I've also heard that from pick 20 to pick 48, the talent differential is minuscule with the 48th pick having a solid chance to be better than the guy picked #20. IMO, we can find a stud DLmen in rounds 2 or 3 who potentially could turnout to be even better than Suh or McCoy but we aren't likely going to find a LT past round 1.
So, we could have an all pro LT and a very solid at worse, DLmen, or we can draft a DLman and leave LT to another year putting Stafford at risk with a chance his career is shortened. I just don't like the odds for Stafford if we leave him unprotected for another year and I don't want to put the whole rebuilding stage at risk just because we feel the defense needs a lot of work. The defense can be helped considerably whether we draft Suh or McCoy or not. Round 2 is going to have a solid 1st round talent left on the DL when we use our second pick so why not solve 2 serious problems in one stroke.
Just my thoughts on the matter.

I know this draft is deep but saying that we can find someone that is close in talent to Suh or McCoy with our 2nd round pick? That's ridiculous.

woodnick
04-13-2010, 05:37 PM
I know this draft is deep but saying that we can find someone that is close in talent to Suh or McCoy with our 2nd round pick? That's ridiculous.

I think his argument is that you can find a DT in the 2nd or 3rd that can have a closer impact to a Suh/McCoy than you can an OT who will have as close an impact as Okung.

Personally, as long as we draft one of these 3 I'm gonna be good with the selection. Additionally, I really think that Linval Joseph would be a great pick for us in the 3rd if we go Okung at 2.

woodnick
04-13-2010, 05:42 PM
Repeat ... as a former lineman, don't listen to average Joe sports talk radio jockey about the ease of switching positions on the Oline. If they have not done it, they are guessing & trust me, it's difficult. Not impossible, but difficult.

It drives me nuts when people blindly say drafting a LT moving Backus inside fills 2 holes on your line. Wrong answer, that is sooo off base! That is essentially like putting 2 rookies in your starting line up. Does that make Stafford better? I say no way, it does not give me that warm fuzzy feeling.

Wow, C to RT, those are pretty different skill sets that are required at those positions. I don't know if Backus would be able to make a smooth transition from LT to RT, but IMO a move from LT to RT would generally be easier than a move from C to RT.

If Backus couldn't make the transition and beat out Gosder, then we could simply cut him and save around $6 mill, or at least $4.95 mill depending on when his option bonus is due, or maybe we could ship him to a team that misses out on a OT for a mid to low draft pick in 2011.

Brothgar
04-13-2010, 05:46 PM

I was also a former lineman and moving from LT to RT is not that extremely hard.

Prowler
04-13-2010, 05:50 PM
if the lions select okung then i'd be impressed. especially if they followed it up with a RB, DT, and CB in the next rounds. i don't care what order.

wingboy2999
04-13-2010, 06:11 PM
Oh snap. Fight about whether its hard to switch positions on the line!

Addict
04-13-2010, 06:12 PM
Oh snap. Fight about whether its hard to switch positions on the line!

for this draft they're discussing the wrong line anyways.

DoWnThEfiElD
04-13-2010, 06:32 PM
I really do think Schwatz was genuine with his praise of Backus. I have such a hard time seeing Okung being the pick.

P-L
04-13-2010, 06:45 PM
I would be disappointed, but not necessarily upset.

SINCE1978
04-14-2010, 07:32 AM
I was also a former lineman and moving from LT to RT is not that extremely hard.

Well my mom get beat up yor mom!!?? (hahaha) ;o)

In all seriousness, intersting you say no LT is elite ... Joe Thomas & Jake Long were elite LT prospects coming out (consenus #1) & I would say both have backed that up since being in the NFL. What we agree on I think, is that Okung is NOT an elite T just b/c he is the #1 at his position.

Brothgar
04-14-2010, 08:42 AM

In all seriousness, intersting you say no LT is elite ... Joe Thomas & Jake Long were elite LT prospects coming out (consenus #1) & I would say both have backed that up since being in the NFL. What we agree on I think, is that Okung is NOT an elite T just b/c he is the #1 at his position.

Yeah but my dad can beat up your MOM!

Jake Long was called a RT by many "analysts" and draftnicks. I'll admit I don't remember all the talk of Joe Thomas. But I do remember people saying "Joe Thomas is no Brick" and "Jake Long is no Joe Thomas" while Jake Long isn't Joe Thomas the hype at OT is always he's never as good as the guy before. I call a guy with no holes in his game Elite. Noone tells me anything he doesn't do well and that tells me he will be a great LT for the next 10 years.

wingboy2999
04-14-2010, 09:17 AM

*wipes tears from eyes* I miss the old days.

Halsey
04-14-2010, 09:56 AM
I read a piece on a will known Draft site arguing that Okung would be a better pick than McCoy or Suh for the Lions. I'm not saying I agree or disagree, but the author made a good argument. I don't want to post a link or anything, but it's a peice you should read if you're a Lions fan.

SINCE1978
04-14-2010, 11:04 AM
*wipes tears from eyes* I miss the old days.

This my friend, is now 2x in as many days you have mentioned misiing the old days of smackth talkth.

The old days are back!!

;o)

wingboy2999
04-14-2010, 12:31 PM
This my friend, is now 2x in as many days you have mentioned misiing the old days of smackth talkth.

The old days are back!!

;o)

You go ahead and make the joke. Not me.