PDA

View Full Version : LB Brandon Spikes

Texas Homer
04-12-2010, 11:36 AM
What Round is Spikes likely to be drafted?....and do you like him as a prospect?

I look at his 40 time and see it isn't what you would like it to be, but I see the results from Spikes on the field. I like him as a prospect. His 40 times or whatever, I think that Spikes is one of those guys that is just a good football player.

I'd say 2nd round, but I have no idea. I think Spikes will make a good Pro.

Thoughts?

Splat
04-12-2010, 11:38 AM
I think he goes in the 3rd round and a team is going to get a pretty good football player at a decent price.

Don Vito
04-12-2010, 11:38 AM
He's fallen a lot, probably third round. He could really go anywhere from the second to the fourth but I could see him being successful if he lands in the right spot, if the Pats trade into the third or he falls to the fourth I would love for us to give him a look as a thumper opposite Mayo.

yourfavestoner
04-12-2010, 11:42 AM
I'd say in rounds 3-5. His lack of speed isn't really going to hurt him if he plays on a 3-4 team. What will hurt him, though, is that his lack of speed kills his special teams value, and that will be magnified if he doesn't start right away.

killxswitch
04-12-2010, 11:44 AM
I'm going to guess round 2, mid or late. My hunch is he's fallen farther on internet draft boards than on NFL team boards.

IndyColtScout
04-12-2010, 11:44 AM
Den would be smart to pass on McClain and take Williams in the 1st maybe Odrick then take Spikes in the 3rd. Spikes could be every bit as productive IMO especially if he's got some talent in front of him which DEN has finally made a priority.

FrankGore
04-12-2010, 11:46 AM
I could see anywhere from the late 2nd, all the way to the 5th.

Splat
04-12-2010, 11:46 AM
He would look good next to Derrick Johnson.

Ya I said it vidae...:)

bigbluedefense
04-12-2010, 11:57 AM
I still love the guy. I think he goes round 3, and if he goes to the right system, will be successful in the NFL.

However his stiffness and lack of speed really hinders what systems he can thrive in. I had him and McClain rated similarly, so I was clearly high on him. But after his 40 time, you can't rate them the same anymore.

That said, I think he can still be a solid pro. The guy looks great on tape. I'm personally a little surprised at his 40. He's not a 5.0 guy on tape. Something is up with that. My initial guess is that he's hiding an injury that would make him drop even more, but thats just speculation on my part.

Mr.Regular
04-12-2010, 12:01 PM
Linebackers that slow dont get drafted early. Remember Ali Highsmith?
I think hes a 4th rounder at this point.

FUNBUNCHER
04-12-2010, 12:04 PM
Spikes will fall IMO, won't be taken earlier than the 3rd round, but he'll be a starter no later than his 2nd year in the league.

vidae
04-12-2010, 12:06 PM
He would look good next to Derrick Johnson.

Ya I said it vidae...:)

On what team? :( I wonder if DJ will even be a Chief next year.

And I could see Spikes slipping between 3 and 5, but as the saying goes, it only takes one.

Splat
04-12-2010, 12:08 PM
I think if DJ was going to be traded it would have happened all ready, it could still happen but since we have a DC that knows what he is doing I think he stays.

JHL6719
04-12-2010, 12:18 PM
Linebackers that run 5 second 40's don't get drafted at all...much less in the 2nd/3rd rounds...

Spikes should feel fortunate just to hear his name called at all on draft weekend....seriously..

Splat
04-12-2010, 12:20 PM
Spikes should feel fortunate just to hear his name called at all on draft weekend....seriously..

I think this is a little much.

GhostDeini
04-12-2010, 12:24 PM
I'd still take Spikes late 1st. I couldn't care less about his timed speed.

How many people catch him from behind when he was returning 6 int's back to the house ??

And it's not even about catching him from behind when returning int's, it's about his ability to be in right place at right time those 6 times.

yourfavestoner
04-12-2010, 12:27 PM
I'd still take Spikes late 1st. I couldn't care less about his timed speed.

How many people catch him from behind when he was returning 6 int's back to the house ??

And it's not even about catching him from behind when returning int's, it's about his ability to be in right place at right time those 6 times.

Yup. Plus compare tape from his junior year to his injury plagued senior year and the difference is night and day.

Like I said, all you have to do is pop in the tape of him tossing around Andre Smith like a rag doll and you'll see all you need to see.

Texas Homer
04-12-2010, 12:57 PM
Its cool to see that I'm not the only one that really likes Spikes as a prospect.

I'm not trying to compare Spikes to DeMeco Ryans, but DeMeco slid to the 2nd Round and look how that turned out.

JT Jag
04-12-2010, 01:01 PM
He's slow, not that athletic, and his play has actually declined from year to year ever since his breakout sophomore season.

I wouldn't pick him any earlier than the 4th. It still amuses me that some people had Spikes over McClain as recently as just a couple months ago.

yourfavestoner
04-12-2010, 01:26 PM
He's slow, not that athletic, and his play has actually declined from year to year ever since his breakout sophomore season.

I wouldn't pick him any earlier than the 4th. It still amuses me that some people had Spikes over McClain as recently as just a couple months ago.

No way, his best year was earily his junior year. His sophomore year numbers look so good because he was the only competent player on that defense sans true freshmen Joe Haden and Major Wright. His senior year was plagued by nagging feet and leg injuries.

Like I said, throw in tape of his junior year and you'll see a playmaking force. Just ask Andre Smith about him ;)

killxswitch
04-12-2010, 01:31 PM
Is Spikes this year's Laurinaitis?

PossibleCabbage
04-12-2010, 01:44 PM
Day three pick IMO, probably early on day three but who knows?

A Perfect Score
04-12-2010, 01:52 PM
I've got him going between Rounds 3-5 at this point, and its like BBD mentioned above, its all about scheme. Hes Jeremiah Trotter 2.0, so if you toss him in a scheme that lets him be exactly what he is (a thumper) you are going to get a competent football player. If you draft him to come in and be a versatile sideline-to-sideline defender in the mold of Ray Lewis, hes going to fail. Right now, I'd say mid round 3 is where he gets drafted, but between the eye gouging incident and the slow 40, I can see him falling further.

SUP
04-12-2010, 09:13 PM
I still think he will be as good as a pro if not better than McClain...

I think he still gets picked in the 2nd

BaLLiN
04-12-2010, 09:35 PM
I still have love for spikes

Rosebud
04-14-2010, 12:27 AM
Honestly I think he'll fall all of the way to the third round...and proceed to become the steal of the year as he starts for the Pats as a rookie next to Mayo and is a contender for DROY.

Mr. Goosemahn
04-14-2010, 12:37 AM
Honestly I think he'll fall all of the way to the third round...and proceed to become the steal of the year as he starts for the Steelers as a rookie next to Timmons and is a contender for DROY.

Fixed it for you ;)

But on a more serious note he's perfect for what the Steelers need, IMO.

A buck ILB to complement Timmons as the mack. Timmons as the buck is a waste of his abilities. There's no way Farrior is better at making plays than Timmons, and no way Timmons' main strength is to take on offensive linemen and blockers.

Spikes could do that well. His slowness wouldn't be as much of a factor, and he can take on o-line guys much better with his large frame.

JT Jag
04-14-2010, 03:44 AM
I actually could see Spikes flourishing as a Vrabel-esque player in the interior of a 3-4. I don't think he has the range to play in a 4-3, but the Patriots or Steelers would be good fits for him.