PDA

View Full Version : What could have been (past drafts)

DallCowby1
04-17-2010, 08:47 AM
What players were on the board that you wanted & could not believe they were still there. You were sitting there all jazzed up that soon this players name would be called, but Dallas passed?

1995 - Bobby Taylor, DB, Notre Dame
1996 - Tony Brackins, DE, Texas
1998 - Randy Moss, WR, Marshall
2001 - Shaun Rogers, DT, Texas
2004 - Stephen Jackson, RB, Oregon St.

The Brackins pass was just a shock. I needed to go out and walk around and think about what had just happened. To have a Top 10 talent fall in our lap at the end of the first round & pass was one of the Dumbest moves the history of the Cowboys!

Passed on Taylor twice during the 05 draft! Once in the 1st and again in the 2nd!

Everything I was understanding was that Moss (if still on the board) would be a Cowboy! When Greg Ellis name was called I just sat there with my mouth open. You have got to be kidding me! That sunk the whole draft for me!

2001 - Passing Shaun Rogers twice in the 2nd rd. for Quincy Carter and Tony Dixon! Rogers was coming off an injury, but was considered a top 10 talent. Dallas not having a 1st rd. pick I thought this was a gift that had landed in our lap. Since we were rebuilding Dallas could roll the dice on Rogers. Nope!!!

Stephen Jackson! Never did I think that the best RB would be on the board when we made our selection. shocked that we passed, when we traded out to Buffalo! Again, left shaking my head.

Lord knows who will be sitting there at #27 and who or what the Cowboys do.

UTPATS
04-17-2010, 09:38 AM
2008 - Sitting there with several good running backs on the board...

I wanted Rashard soooo bad, I liked Felix and CJ as well, but I really wanted Rashard.

Looking back, I am happy we got who we got, but either of those 3 would have been an excellent pick.

What made it all better was we were able to get Mike Jenkins as well!

Now that was a fun draft!!!!

JJJ888
04-17-2010, 05:08 PM
What pissed me off about the '08 draft was not so much that we passed on Mendenhall (who I had rated as the best back in the draft), but that at 22, with both Mendenhall and Mike Jenkins on the board, we took Felix. In my mind, Felix was certainly a reach at that point, while Jenkins and Mendenhall would both have been steals. Clearly though, the front office knows more than we do, because we were still able to trade back up to get Jenkins.

M.O.T.H.
04-18-2010, 06:47 AM
Felix was taken at 22, because the Titans had him as the top back on their board. Felix Jones would have been a Titan at 24, if we didnt take him there. Jeff Fisher absolutely loved Felix.

As for Mendenhall, I didnt think there was any chance we were taking him...I def. bought into the speed compliment to Barber talk. It always boiled down to Felix and Johnson to me for that speed back, and no one thought Johnson would be drafted as early as he was. I kept telling mockers to give us Felix and Mike, I was pretty damn excited when that came to fruition.

I was thinking Jenkins would go at 22 and then we'd take Felix with the next pick, but hey it worked out just fine. Got my guys...it always feels good when you get your guys. haha.

LizardState
04-18-2010, 02:20 PM
Felix was taken at 22, because the Titans had him as the top back on their board. Felix Jones would have been a Titan at 24, if we didnt take him there. Jeff Fisher absolutely loved Felix.

As for Mendenhall, I didnt think there was any chance we were taking him...I def. bought into the speed compliment to Barber talk. It always boiled down to Felix and Johnson to me for that speed back, and no one thought Johnson would be drafted as early as he was. I kept telling mockers to give us Felix and Mike, I was pretty damn excited when that came to fruition.

I was thinking Jenkins would go at 22 and then we'd take Felix with the next pick, but hey it worked out just fine. Got my guys...it always feels good when you get your guys. haha.

Felix was wired in from the gitgo b/c Jerry still has strong ties to his Arkansas alma mater. They had 2 1st rounders then after they assraped Cleveland & GM Phil Savage on the Brady Quinn trade, everybody knew they were focused on McFadden at the same school but the rumors about his ball control issues apparently scared the Cowboys & a lot of other NFL teams off not named the Raiders, where McFadden proved all those stories about his being fumble-prone were true.

2004 - Stephen Jackson, RB, Oregon St. I remember this one, trading back as usual & passing on Jackson b/c of his knee, I screamed & threw things at my TV. Then Jackson went to the Rams where he rotted on the vine b/c the most overrated OC in the NFL, Martz & others in that doomstruck orgn. were clueless how to use him.....

M.O.T.H.
04-18-2010, 03:47 PM
Jason Garrett's input on Felix seemed to have helped a lot with the selection as well. But what i was saying was...if they waited to take Jones, they probably wouldnt have got him. The Titans brass had him ranked ahead of Johnson on their board and were prapared to take him.

LonghornsLegend
04-18-2010, 04:27 PM
I do remember Jeff Fisher was really enamored with Felix and they were definately taking him at #24 over CJ, so it made sense if you really did like CJ.

Still as I've said before if we were going to have a perfect draft in hindsight it would of been Jenkins at #22, DeSean Jackson at #28, and Jamaal Charles in the 2nd. Wow :D

Talk about a stacked draft for RB's though. McFadden, Stewart, Mendenhall, Felix, CJ, Ray Rice, Charles, it really didn't matter who you took and it's not that way all the time.

I really didn't realize we passed on Shaun Rogers so many times, usually we are on top of homegrown talent.

Last year I wanted Sean Smith, William Beatty, and Jarron Gilbert sooo bad :( :( I did really like Jason Williams, but damn I did want those 3 so bad, especially seeing how Sean Smith looked awesome.

LizardState
04-18-2010, 04:40 PM
Last year I wanted Sean Smith, William Beatty, and Jarron Gilbert sooo bad I did really like Jason Williams, but damn I did want those 3 so bad, especially seeing how Sean Smith looked awesome.

Major bonehead move, trading back into day 2 when everybody else on the revised draft order wanted Jarron Gilbert too, not a well kept secret. I was personally high on him b/c I had interviewed him at San Jose St's Pro Day &, knew about his NFL bloodlines, watched Rex Ryan personally work him out & work up a big sweat, etc. The way it happened it was bad for Dallas & ultra-bad for Gilbert, who had to play behind starters all his rookie yr & rarely saw the field, he's a perfect 5 technique DE designated pass rusher who had his youngest & fastest NFL yr. squandered by Jerry ANgelo & those dimbulbs who run the Bears. Now they've acquired Julius Peppers which may mean another degree of separation from Gilbert & starting, only several DL injuries will get him on the field, it's a shame really.

UTPATS
04-18-2010, 10:42 PM
Talk about a stacked draft for RB's though. McFadden, Stewart, Mendenhall, Felix, CJ, Ray Rice, Charles, it really didn't matter who you took and it's not that way all the time.

Forte......

D-Unit
04-18-2010, 11:38 PM
I'm not shy about who I wanted post draft, knowing how the draft results went... I wanted Mike Jenkins, Devin Thomas and Jamaal Charles that year at the end of the day.

I was high on Chris Johnson and Ray Rice. Way more than Mendenhall and Felix.

JJJ888
04-19-2010, 07:00 AM
Forte......

Don't forget Steve Slaton and Kevin Smith, who both had promising rookie campaigns as well (although they kinda slacked off this year when they were on my fantasy team...not that it mattered in the end).