PDA

View Full Version : With the 27th pick in the NFL Draft....

LonghornsLegend
04-18-2010, 09:52 PM
The Dallas Cowboys select?

We are less then a week away. Enough with who you want, hope, or wishing for, who do you think we actually end up drafting?

I'm gonna go with Nate Allen.

Tough to predict a trade up, so I'm gonna assume we stay where we are, and I think he would be the guy.

UTPATS
04-18-2010, 10:03 PM
If we take that fool, I will certainly puke!

LonghornsLegend
04-18-2010, 10:09 PM
If we take that fool, I will certainly puke!

Do you know anything about him, like seriously?

Maybe if he ran a 4.2 he would be more appealing to some people.

pocketaces
04-18-2010, 10:14 PM
Dez Bryant, I think he's going to fall and Jerry won't be able to resist.

BaLLiN
04-18-2010, 10:18 PM
Nate Allen is a safer pick, but his upside isnt that great

LonghornsLegend
04-18-2010, 10:25 PM
Nate Allen is a safer pick, but his upside isnt that great

He is a pure cover safety, has great range and can be a ballhawk in our scheme and create turnovers. I don't know how you'd figure he doesn't have great upside to be honest, lots of safeties were taken late in the 1st round and you could of probably said the same thing about and went on to be some of the best in the league.

Everyone of course is going to say Taylor Mays has great upside, but what? Because he's really fast, and big, ignoring the fact that he's not a great fit for our scheme at all and probably needs to be in a Cover 2 to see most of his upside.

Besides I don't want to turn this into a safety debate thread, just that I think he'll be the pick. He's not even the guy I personally want the most there, but if you think he's a terrible fit or a bad pick I have to question how much you know about the guy. Ideally I'd like to trade back and take him at 35-40 range but that still be making him our 1st rounder technically.

gpngc
04-18-2010, 10:26 PM
What's the WR depth in Dallas look like beyond Austin, Roy E., Ogletree, and Crapton?

UTPATS
04-18-2010, 10:31 PM
Do you know anything about him, like seriously?

Maybe if he ran a 4.2 he would be more appealing to some people.

It doesn't mean it won't be a good pick, I just don't want us to take him that early.

I know you clarified that this wasn't about what we want anymore, just what you think we will do.

If that is what we do, I will be disappointed, much like I was when we took Felix where we did.

But if he ends up being the pick and works out to be the playmaking safety I believe we need in order to make it to the next level, I will be a happy man.

BaLLiN
04-18-2010, 10:32 PM
He is a pure cover safety, has great range and can be a ballhawk in our scheme and create turnovers. I don't know how you'd figure he doesn't have great upside to be honest, lots of safeties were taken late in the 1st round and you could of probably said the same thing about and went on to be some of the best in the league.

Weaknesses:
Frame is maxed out --- Pure speed is just average --- Struggles when asked to match up with wideouts in man coverage --- Plays too tall at times --- Isn't a real big hitter --- Not very quick or explosive --- Upside?

i hate to use Scott's words in my argument, but he did say it. I think its more of a case where the player does everything good, but nothing great. With the Corners he's had and the passrushers he's had, you'd think he'd have more production as well.

Everyone of course is going to say Taylor Mays has great upside, but what? Because he's really fast, and big, ignoring the fact that he's not a great fit for our scheme at all and probably needs to be in a Cover 2 to see most of his upside.

No? This is a generalization for people who don't know enough about the draft process. If anything, most draftniks dislike him, he's been downgraded for quite some time, deservingly or not. I personally think the Jets take him, Rex Ryan can give him something to do.

Besides I don't want to turn this into a safety debate thread, just that I think he'll be the pick. He's not even the guy I personally want the most there, but if you think he's a terrible fit or a bad pick I have to question how much you know about the guy. Ideally I'd like to trade back and take him at 35-40 range but that still be making him our 1st rounder technically.

fair enough.

D-Unit
04-18-2010, 11:41 PM
It's too early to predict. haha. Seriously tho.

E-Man
04-19-2010, 01:18 AM
I think it'll be either Nate Allen or Jared Odrick. I wouldn't be shocked if Dez Bryant fell all the way to 27, nor would I be shocked if he went in the top 10. Nothing would surprise me with that guy.

JJJ888
04-19-2010, 06:58 AM
I think it'll be either Nate Allen or Jared Odrick. I wouldn't be shocked if Dez Bryant fell all the way to 27, nor would I be shocked if he went in the top 10. Nothing would surprise me with that guy.

Matt Mosley stated in a recent espn.com mock draft that the front office is in love with Odrick, though with Odrick unavailable in the mock, he projected us to take Devin McCourty over Maurkice Pouncey.

Mosley has a pretty good history of predicting Cowboys' picks: In '08, Mosley nailed our picks of Jones and Jenkins (though in the wrong order); in '07 he was spot on with Anthony Spencer; in '06 he correctly picked Bobby Carpenter, and in 2004, he once again did the double with Ware and Spears. It's a good idea to trust what this man says in the weeks leading up to the draft.

LonghornsLegend
04-19-2010, 10:39 AM
What's the WR depth in Dallas look like beyond Austin, Roy E., Ogletree, and Crapton?

Nothing special, we may take a WR in the middle rounds or we could pass again. Roy is going to start with Austin again, not out of the question Ogletree passes him at some point.

Crayton is still solid nothing special, and Hurd could step in if we needed him too. We still use two TE's more then most teams do, so I don't think it's a pressing need.

Macarthur
04-19-2010, 10:40 AM
Pouncey or trade back. That's assuming a guy like Bryant or another obvious choice is gone.

Macarthur
04-19-2010, 10:41 AM
Nothing special, we may take a WR in the middle rounds or we could pass again. Roy is going to start with Austin again, not out of the question Ogletree passes him at some point.

Crayton is still solid nothing special, and Hurd could step in if we needed him too. We still use two TE's more then most teams do, so I don't think it's a pressing need.

I think this is an interesting point.

Many people think the Minn game exposed our OL. I actually think our WR corp was more exposed.

LonghornsLegend
04-19-2010, 10:41 AM
Matt Mosley stated in a recent espn.com mock draft that the front office is in love with Odrick, though with Odrick unavailable in the mock, he projected us to take Devin McCourty over Maurkice Pouncey.

Mosley has a pretty good history of predicting Cowboys' picks: In '08, Mosley nailed our picks of Jones and Jenkins (though in the wrong order); in '07 he was spot on with Anthony Spencer; in '06 he correctly picked Bobby Carpenter, and in 2004, he once again did the double with Ware and Spears. It's a good idea to trust what this man says in the weeks leading up to the draft.

Interesting.

I'd really like McCourty tbh, definately would be happy with that pick, or a CB within the first few rounds.

Not sure how I feel about Odrick, Bowen is very underrated and has continually gotten better.

D-Unit
04-19-2010, 01:15 PM
If Taylor Mays is available at 27, I don't see us passing him.

Dez Bryant won't be available at 27.

Dallas won't draft Golden Tate.

There... 3 prediction quotes from me. More to come, I'm sure.

pocketaces
04-19-2010, 01:20 PM
If Taylor Mays is available at 27, I don't see us passing him.
We Will

Dez Bryant won't be available at 27.
If he gets past 20 we will trade up

Dallas won't draft Golden Tate.
Agreed

There... 3 prediction quotes from me. More to come, I'm sure.

3 Responses' Can't wait till Thursday!

bluebonnet78
04-19-2010, 01:21 PM
I think Pouncey, Iupati, Bryant, and Earl Thomas are off the board by the 27th. It Comes down to Mays, N. Allen, McCourty, Tate, and Odrick for Dallas. As much as I'd like a more sexy pick, we go with Odrick. We still have 3 DEs in upcoming contract years and Jerry hasn't made up his mind with whether to resign any of them. If the salary cap is back in place for next year, drafting a rookie to a five year contract is a much cheaper alternative to paying out big money for a veteran. Jerry is also very comfortable with the idea of drafting first round DE's.

I'm not excited about the pick, because I don't see him as much better than Spears, but his motor, strength, and versatility would be useful.

Jerry might wheel and deal in the second round to get either Burnett or Allen. Maybe trade a fourth rounder to move up 8 or so spots. Then he'll trade Spears to try and recoup that fourth round pick on the third day.

D-Unit
04-19-2010, 02:10 PM
3 Responses' Can't wait till Thursday!
I don't know if Jerry would actually trade up for Bryant. We're already going in this without a 5th rounder. I doubt we give up a 3rd/4th to move up a few spots in the 1st for Bryant.

Maybe he would for Earl Thomas, but there hasn't been a lot of smoke building up around our interest in him.

McCourty is the new name that has popped up this week in regards to our 1st rounder. I dunno how much I like late risers. Sometimes I think the scouts start to outthink their gut when they start moving guys high up thier boards this late in the process. The one thing that impresses me most about him is his quick feet. He has quick and sudden foot movement combined with excellent hips. Nice frame too. Mostly thought of as a 2nd rounder, but the combine and pro day really helped him. He's emerged as a legitimate 1st round candidate right now. I don't know how legit he is, but Rutgers has a nice recent track record with NFL prospects.

E-Man
04-19-2010, 02:11 PM
I think Mays will go before 27. To be honest, I wouldn't be shocked if Al Davis took him at #8. DHB was nearly in the same boat, and Al took him over Crabtree and Maclin. I think some team will fall in love with his athleticism before the Cowboys get a chance to even think about him.

D-Unit
04-19-2010, 02:36 PM
I think Mays will go before 27. To be honest, I wouldn't be shocked if Al Davis took him at #8. DHB was nearly in the same boat, and Al took him over Crabtree and Maclin. I think some team will fall in love with his athleticism before the Cowboys get a chance to even think about him.
I could see that as well. But for clarity sake, my quote was based on "if" Mays was still available at 27, then I think we would take above anyone else available.

E-Man
04-19-2010, 02:38 PM
Yeah I feel ya D, but I just felt like making a wacky prediction. lol

D-Unit
04-19-2010, 02:46 PM
Yeah I feel ya D, but I just felt like making a wacky prediction. lol
Eh fine... then here's a wacky prediction...

Jerry trades up and selects Eric Berry.

Berry seems to be the name falling as of late, and several teams have been linked to moving up for him. Why not us?

I could see us trading up with the Browns at #7. Either way... I predict some team will trade up for Berry.

D-Unit
04-21-2010, 04:05 PM
Well, it's the Draft Day Eve everybody! The time to put your chips down is right now.

With that said, I'm going to make my prediction (if we are picking at 27).

Any news leading up to the draft is 99.9% lie. Moving up for Earl Thomas? I have my doubts. Dez Bryant to Dallas hype machine... I don't buy it for a sec. Taylor Mays coming in for a private visit? Just a tease for a guy like me. Late riser like Devin McCourty? I have to admit... I'm thinking maybe. But I've finally nailed down my prediction.

From the day after the draft ended to now, I've done my fair share of homework on offensive tackles. I've debated the situation from every angle (very passionately, I must add). At first, Scott's mocks used to say that we wouldn't draft a Tackle because we invested so much in Flozell and Columbo recently. I was very aprehensive about that, and doubted that would be a reason to prevent us from taking a tackle. So at the start of the season, my guy at the position and #1 favorite draft prospect was Bryan Bulaga. Happy to say that today, he would still be my top OT choice.

THEN... all of a sudden Doug Free emerged and opened everybody's eyes. His story was a bright highlight of the season. All of a sudden he put to rest my arguments for wanting an OT. Regardless, I still kept a short list of Tackles. Among them... Bulaga, Davis, Campbell and Brown.

Bulaga and Davis were often thought of as out of reach type prospects, but they did have periods throughout the year where it was a possibility for them to reach us. Bulaga due to injury... Davis due to work ethic/character issues.

I jumped on the Campbell wagon without ever watching him, but just based off his freakish athleticism... then that came crashing down once I saw him play. Talk about total disaster! Weak base, poor technique... but the worse was when I saw him not even care about his QB after letting his assignment beat him for the sack. That moment ended it for me. I went from the bandwagon to public enemy #1.

Okung, I could never appreciate. Passing wise, he's great. Don't get me wrong. But for a guy that highly touted to not able to be a great run blocker... or even a decent run blocker... to me, that didn't warrant all his hype. So I never became a fan.

Trent Williams was a hot name for me in 2008-09. Wanted him to declare and all. But his failure this past season at LT put question marks in my mind. It was his fault Sam Bradford's career ended the way it did. As the season progressed, my liking for him continued to diminish.

The one guy who consistently rose up my board throughout the year has been non other than Charles Brown. He started off as a late 2nd round rated player in my book. I thought of him mostly as a great 2nd round option for us. But as the season went on, I began to like him more and more. Athleticism... check. Long arms... check. Strength: adequate... check. Strong base... check. Knee bend... check. Lateral agility... check. Pass blocking... check. Run blocking... check. Upside...check. Pro scheme... check. Soon he was my Top choice at one point at OT. The only question marks I had were... did he fit a Hudson Houck type lineman? I didn't think so at first... but then I thought... Doug Free doesn't either. So I still considered him as high as I did. I also questioned his speed off the snap, initial punch and mean streak, which are still concerns today. Not reasons to scratch him off the list or anything, but things I think need to be acknowledged.

I know you're going to say, but D, you've been bashing the selection of an OT. I know... I have been. I do believe Jerry thinks highly of Doug Free, but I'm not sure he's sold that Free is the permanent long term answer there. I think he could always revert to using Free as our swing tackle. Free has proven to be able to do an admirable job at that. He could consider Free the eventual replacement for Columbo as well.

So with that, I'm going to predict...

With the 27th pick of the 2010 NFL Draft, the Dallas Cowboys select Charles Brown, Offensive Tackle, University of Southern California.

http://a.espncdn.com/photo/2009/0909/ncf_g_brown11_400.jpg

M.O.T.H.
04-21-2010, 04:24 PM
Nate Allen.

Im_a_Romosexual
04-21-2010, 04:37 PM
I'm gonna guess Nate Allen, but I don't think it will be at 27

LonghornsLegend
04-21-2010, 05:00 PM
So with that, I'm going to predict...

With the 27th pick of the 2010 NFL Draft, the Dallas Cowboys select Charles Brown, Offensive Tackle, University of Southern California.

http://a.espncdn.com/photo/2009/0909/ncf_g_brown11_400.jpg

This is a guy I like, and think he could develop into a very good LT, even if we went with Free at LT initially, Columbo at RT, and when Columbo is let go move Free back over and Charles in.

Still not sure I can buy it. Garrett, and Jerry both said they think Free is more of a LT, and they have faith, it doesn't seem like it's blowing smoke. I'd just be very surprised to see us take a LT before we even give him a chance. Then if Free steps in and does really well, we don't know if Charles Brown can play RT, and for all we know Brewster could be ready to play RT when Columbo is gone.

It's just tough to see it playing out that way, I'd be pretty shocked, but wouldn't be upset(just a little let down that we didn't address a position that really needed an upgrade and LT isn't one to me).

pocketaces
04-21-2010, 05:09 PM
If we don't trade up for ET, I really hope we trade down. Unless of course somebody falls into our laps we don't expect.

LonghornsLegend
04-21-2010, 05:18 PM
If we don't trade up for ET, I really hope we trade down. Unless of course somebody falls into our laps we don't expect.

Ugh, I'd be super pissed if we traded out of the 1st, and I had to wait an extra day for us to pick lol. I don't know if I like of not having a 1st round pick two years running, there will be some good players who fall to us I'm pretty sure.

herniateddisc
04-21-2010, 05:47 PM
Can't wait to hammer Jerrah tomorrow evening.

So excited for another WTF draftnight.

D-Unit
04-21-2010, 05:57 PM

The good news is that it will be a drawn out pain since the draft will last span so many days now. GAH!!! I am also dreading this year's draft.

LonghornsLegend
04-21-2010, 05:59 PM

At least your keeping it real and expecting to do it no matter who we draft.

E-Man
04-21-2010, 07:00 PM
The good news is that it will be a drawn out pain since the draft will last span so many days now. GAH!!! I am also dreading this year's draft.

Does this mean we get to rain Goodell's office with torches and pitchforks? I've got my "angry mob" kit on stand-by.

D-Unit
04-21-2010, 07:18 PM
This is a guy I like, and think he could develop into a very good LT, even if we went with Free at LT initially, Columbo at RT, and when Columbo is let go move Free back over and Charles in.

Still not sure I can buy it. Garrett, and Jerry both said they think Free is more of a LT, and they have faith, it doesn't seem like it's blowing smoke. I'd just be very surprised to see us take a LT before we even give him a chance. Then if Free steps in and does really well, we don't know if Charles Brown can play RT, and for all we know Brewster could be ready to play RT when Columbo is gone.

It's just tough to see it playing out that way, I'd be pretty shocked, but wouldn't be upset(just a little let down that we didn't address a position that really needed an upgrade and LT isn't one to me).
Even though I predict Charles Brown, he isn't near the top my wish list. I'm hoping for a skill position player... WR, S, CB.

D-Unit
04-21-2010, 07:20 PM
At least your keeping it real and expecting to do it no matter who we draft.
haha. that's funny.

I hope I can come away happy. :)

thule
04-22-2010, 02:37 AM
I'm buying the Dez Bryant talk. However after saying that I'm not sure if I'm sold on moving up for him.

I think the 27th pick in the draft will be taken from another team...not that dallas cowboys. AKA I'm garuntee'ing a trade of pick 27

nrcirc
04-22-2010, 05:59 AM
We should bring back TO and Pacman Jones before we draft Dez Bryant. At this point, I am 90% sure that we will trade down. By the way Stephen Jones said he is not going use 27 picks to reach for Nate Allen, Morgan Burnett, and OL.

LizardState
04-22-2010, 01:00 PM
Pouncey or trade back. That's assuming a guy like Bryant or another obvious choice is gone.

B/C Pouncey will "drop" b/c the Steelers will pass on him to take ...... gasp! .... a QB??!!

Bryant will be gone b/c some team will be desperate for a gamechanger WR before #27, Trent Williams will be gone, any other OLT worth a damn will be gone, so it's Nate Allen or best safety available not named Taylor Mays (who may be gone too).

It's draft night, it's Dallas, so yeah nothing should surprise any of us. Even if they trade back out of #27 b/c Jerry isn't wowed by anybody left on the board..... again. I'll be disappointed & pissed ...... again, but not surprised.

Great pick, LL, of Charles Brown holding vs. San Jose St. btw, hope you werent being sarcastic. After all the yellow flags Flozell had dropped on the team, I'd say weve been saturated with O-linemen who're flag magnets.

D-Unit
04-22-2010, 01:27 PM
Well, the Dez Bryant talk is certainly exciting, but I'm not buying it. I think Golden Tate will be the better pro and if it were up to me, I'd take him before Dez... but that's a whole nother story. I hope the trade up talk is for Earl Thomas and not Dez Bryant. We really need a damn good safety way more than a WR.

I dunno if we'll be trading the pick or not, but I'll guarantee this: Jerry will either make me very happy or very pissed. There is no middle ground. :p

LonghornsLegend
04-22-2010, 01:31 PM
I don't know what to think about the Dez talk, it's confusing to say the least. I'll be watching intently though, Goss said Jerry is still fuming about passing Randy Moss and he'll make up for it now.

I want Earl, just not for a 2nd and a 3rd. Really I'd be a bit upset at moving higher then 18 or so. This is a deep draft, you could find a future starter in rounds 2-5 pretty easily.

pocketaces
04-22-2010, 01:52 PM
Well, the Dez Bryant talk is certainly exciting, but I'm not buying it. I think Golden Tate will be the better pro and if it were up to me, I'd take him before Dez... but that's a whole nother story. I hope the trade up talk is for Earl Thomas and not Dez Bryant. We really need a damn good safety way more than a WR.

I dunno if we'll be trading the pick or not, but I'll guarantee this: Jerry will either make me very happy or very pissed. There is no middle ground. :p

Is this like when you said Lynch would be a better pro than AD? Lol I kid, I kid;)

D-Unit
04-22-2010, 02:06 PM
Is this like when you said Lynch would be a better pro than AD? Lol I kid, I kid;)
Haha. I'll eat crow for that one.... for the time being that is... ;)

Their careers are still young my friend. I didn't think AD would have a long career. ...and that may still be the case. Too many prior injuries and the upright running style would spell doom in a matter of time... that was my logic.

Another thing... Buffalo's OL is way inferior to Minnesota's OL. Just sayin'... ;)

thule
04-22-2010, 04:57 PM
Lynch being a thug has already hurt his career. I remember the thug argument

M.O.T.H.
04-22-2010, 05:37 PM
The draft being this late has really been killing my draft buzz. :( I reallllllly miss the old format.

And god, I hate this one round, in one day crap. ugh.