PDA

View Full Version : Would you trade for Albert Haynesworth?

Scotty D
04-18-2010, 10:46 PM
Would you trade #34 for him and draft Russell Okung at #2?

I read something about the Redskins putting Portis in the deal to help them save on the money that they paid to Haynesworth. I've searched for his contract but couldn't find it, I think its around 7 million.

Reunite him with Schwartz and KVB?

Please share your thoughts here

Addict
04-19-2010, 03:39 AM
I can't help but feel that there has to be more to the Skins wanting to trade him all of a sudden than him not wanting to play NT (which would ruin the principle of having Haynesworth anyway).

Anyway, he's had his payday now. I'm not sure he still wants to work.

detroit4life
04-19-2010, 04:13 AM
i agree. i also dont want us to build this team around trades and veterans. that is not how you build a legitimate nfl team. you build via draft and even tho it sounds great on paper i dont think its the right move. its not like we are contending next year so lets build a young nucleus to give us a future.

wingboy2999
04-19-2010, 07:29 AM
I would do it, no question. Yeah, we need to build through the draft but Haynesworth shouldn't drop off by the time we can contend. So it's not like he is real old.

TitanHope
04-19-2010, 09:05 AM
I'd trade #16 overall for Haynesworth.

If the Skins would take #34, then I hope ya'll would jump on that. He was so vital to Schwartz's success in Tennessee because he allowed the DEF to just rush the DL while the LB's and DB's mixed up coverages. It was pretty vanilla, but very effective.

P-L
04-19-2010, 09:19 AM
The contract is not bad at all. We would have to cut him after the 2012 season because he owed $29 million for the 2013 season. Essentially, he has 3 years and $16.2 million remaining on the contract. Washington is responsible for all the guaranteed money already given to him (it doesn't really matter in an uncapped year) and we could cut him after 2012 without penalty.

wingboy2999
04-19-2010, 10:00 AM
The contract is not bad at all. We would have to cut him after the 2012 season because he owed $29 million for the 2013 season. Essentially, he has 3 years and $16.2 million remaining on the contract. Washington is responsible for all the guaranteed money already given to him (it doesn't really matter in an uncapped year) and we could cut him after 2012 without penalty.

This is the big thing. The majority of the money has been paid out. It's worth it. AND it'd give us the possibility of drafting a "safer" LT at #2 or #4.

I still want Suh though.

SINCE1978
04-19-2010, 10:46 AM
I would trade a weight watchers membership.

Addict
04-19-2010, 11:53 AM
Though I have to say, if Schwartz has a say in it and he trades for Fat Al, than in Jim we Trust.

SINCE1978
04-19-2010, 01:10 PM
I trust Jim. I do not trust Al to get in the gym.

$$ does funny things to people, I'm not just talking a 1 million dollar contract to play pro sports type $$ either, Fat Al got PAID!! He has people do everything for him now which is not condusive to work ethic & hunger (except for in the kitchen!)

nmb1114
04-19-2010, 01:16 PM
I'd take Albert, an ideally I'd like to just go BPA in the draft which would be Suh, unrealistic but wow what a overhaul to that line.

KVB-Haynesworth-Suh-Avril

SINCE1978
04-19-2010, 01:22 PM
I'd take Albert, an ideally I'd like to just go BPA in the draft which would be Suh, unrealistic but wow what a overhaul to that line.

KVB-Haynesworth-Suh-Avril

Don't forget current roster mates, big Corey Williams & a year #2 Sam Hill to toss on the pile ...

nmb1114
04-19-2010, 01:26 PM
yeah the teams biggest weakness last year becomes the teams strongest point., but I tend to think the 34th pick will be used to pick up Ronnie Brown on draft day

DrunkenLament
04-19-2010, 01:33 PM
yeah the teams biggest weakness last year becomes the teams strongest point., but I tend to think the 34th pick will be used to pick up Ronnie Brown on draft day

Oh god, I would be furious if we got Ronnie Brown! Has he even had a healthy year in the NFL?

Addict
04-19-2010, 01:40 PM

great, that way we'll have two running backs on IR by the second game!

nmb1114
04-19-2010, 01:45 PM
great, that way we'll have two running backs on IR by the second game!

I agree, Ronnie Brown is made of glass, I'd rather take Best or Matthews, but I have a feeling that Brown will be here by end of the draft

P-L
04-19-2010, 03:22 PM
I don't want Brown for a 2nd Round pick. I don't think the Lions are that stupid either (remember Millen is gone!). Maybe something like #100 for Ronnie Brown and #145 I would do. It values Brown as a mid-4th but we don't actually lose a pick. Not sure if the Dolphins would do that, but what can you expect for a 28 year old running back who has only played 16 games once in in his five year career.

EDIT: The more I think about it, even a mid-4th value might be too much for Brown. He's only got about two years left in the tank.

SINCE1978
04-19-2010, 05:03 PM
How about 4 7th round picks & a case of Vernors for Ronnie Brown?

Scotty D
04-19-2010, 10:33 PM
Detroit sends
Jeff Backus or Gosder Cherilous

Washington sends
Albert Haynesworth

Washington would draft Suh at #2. Suh would be a beast at 34 DE and many think its his best fit. The swap of 2 and 4 is a 800 point difference on the trade value chart which is equal to a first round pick. Washington needs help at offensive tackle and this trade would help out one of the spots. I'd rather keep Backus and have the rookie play RT, but Backus may be better on the right side. Detroit could end with Okung or Trent Williams.

Not sure how plausible this is but I'm going to throw it out there

SINCE1978
04-20-2010, 08:03 AM
Detroit sends
Jeff Backus or Gosder Cherilous

Washington sends
Albert Haynesworth

Washington would draft Suh at #2. Suh would be a beast at 34 DE and many think its his best fit. The swap of 2 and 4 is a 800 point difference on the trade value chart which is equal to a first round pick. Washington needs help at offensive tackle and this trade would help out one of the spots. I'd rather keep Backus and have the rookie play RT, but Backus may be better on the right side. Detroit could end with Okung or Trent Williams.

Not sure how plausible this is but I'm going to throw it out there

I'm sure it's been discussed by Mayhew & Schwartz. They are paid BIG time to cover all contingencies.

Prowler
04-20-2010, 08:50 AM
i was open to it and am supportive of okung, however i just have a bad feeling about haynesworth. i think he'd end up as a cancer type player and destroy what we are building. he looks like the 'rasheed wallace' of football. pretty soon after signing him, levy and hill would start complaining about their contracts, the locker room will be divided, and someone will start calling out stafford. haynesworth is an alpha, but isn't the team leader i want. i'm more comfortable with suh/campbell.

SINCE1978
04-20-2010, 08:52 AM
Sean Rogers 2.0.

Addict
04-20-2010, 08:59 AM
I just don't want Okung, he's too unremarkable as a OT prospect. He's nothing like the top O-lineman of years past.

SINCE1978
04-20-2010, 09:46 AM
Sssssuuuuuhhhhh!!!!!

P-L
04-20-2010, 10:07 AM
I just don't want Okung, he's too unremarkable as a OT prospect. He's nothing like the top O-lineman of years past.
What's concerning to me is that now it's coming out that a few teams have Trent Williams, a guy who struggled on the left side his senior year, as their top tackle. What does that say about Okung?

SINCE1978
04-20-2010, 10:14 AM
Peter King yesterday had some revealing things to say about Bulaga & his short arms. LT class seems like 5 solid, but not exceptional, talents in Williams, Okung, Bulaga, Davis & Campbell. (throw Brown in there too)

2 "elite" DT with a need their for Detroit ... don't settle, get the stud!

Suh!

nmb1114
04-20-2010, 12:22 PM
I don't want Brown for a 2nd Round pick. I don't think the Lions are that stupid either (remember Millen is gone!). Maybe something like #100 for Ronnie Brown and #145 I would do. It values Brown as a mid-4th but we don't actually lose a pick. Not sure if the Dolphins would do that, but what can you expect for a 28 year old running back who has only played 16 games once in in his five year career.

EDIT: The more I think about it, even a mid-4th value might be too much for Brown. He's only got about two years left in the tank.

Neither do I, he can never stay healthy, but it still wouldn't surprise me if they did a deal for brown. I'd rather take Jahvid Best, or Ryan Matthews if he slipped past.

Addict
04-20-2010, 12:26 PM
Peter King yesterday had some revealing things to say about Bulaga & his short arms. LT class seems like 5 solid, but not exceptional, talents in Williams, Okung, Bulaga, Davis & Campbell. (throw Brown in there too)

2 "elite" DT with a need their for Detroit ... don't settle, get the stud!

Suh!

Or McCoy. I wouldn't mind him. Everytime I see him I want to hug that man, he just looks like he's loving life.

nmb1114
04-20-2010, 12:26 PM
What's concerning to me is that now it's coming out that a few teams have Trent Williams, a guy who struggled on the left side his senior year, as their top tackle. What does that say about Okung?

The problem is the top tackles in this class are just good-ok, their isn't really any franchise tackles in this draft at all. Which that is why I'm not a huge fan of taking Okung. Backus wasn't terrible last season, and Gosder should get one more year at Right Side, and worry about the tackle position next year. We'll probably be top eight again next year, so we'll have a shot to get one of the top tiers.

I always use the philosophy of Best Player Available, if he is the best on board when your on the clock take that person, you could always find a spot to put him, and I just don't see Okung, or Williams on the top of my board.

SINCE1978
04-20-2010, 12:56 PM
Or McCoy. I wouldn't mind him. Everytime I see him I want to hug that man, he just looks like he's loving life.

Well said.

You know he openly admitted that the Little Mermaid was his favorite movie? I want to squish him with a big ol hug myself! HA!

DrunkenLament
04-20-2010, 01:33 PM
Well said.

You know he openly admitted that the Little Mermaid was his favorite movie? I want to squish him with a big ol hug myself! HA!

Yeah, I was disappointed he didn't say Mulan was his favorite movie :(

Edit: this is the 30th post in the thread as well as my 30th post... lol

boknows34
04-20-2010, 02:41 PM
Adam Carriker's move to Washington today probably means the chance of Haynesworth being traded has improved.

SINCE1978
04-20-2010, 03:42 PM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/04/19/redskins-sign-nose-tackle-howard-green/

Howard Green (NT) earlier in the week as well ... I agree it's looking more & more like a draft day trade is coming with Albert leaving DC. The 100 million dollar man, 1 & done ... wow.

If Schwartz get's all reflective & goes 2007 on us, thinking KVB & Haynesworth can rekindle the magic, I am going to be disappointed.

I wonder if Haynesworth was in the trade discussion to St. Louis in the Carriker deal? I would have loved to been a fly on the wall in that room.

wingboy2999
04-20-2010, 07:04 PM
If we get him, we will have him in just under 48 hours... obviously if we take Suh, we won't get him.

P-L
04-20-2010, 08:37 PM
The more and more I listen to NFL personnel talk about Okung the less and less I want him. If we trade for Haynesworth than I want McCoy, if we don't make a trade than I want Suh.

wingboy2999
04-20-2010, 08:40 PM
The more and more I listen to NFL personnel talk about Okung the less and less I want him. If we trade for Haynesworth than I want McCoy, if we don't make a trade than I want Suh.

So you'd take a DT rotation of McCoy, Haynesworth, SLH, Williams and whatever else? Don't you think that is a bit much? I do. I hope if we do trade for Haynesworth its coupled with a trade down.

P-L
04-20-2010, 08:50 PM
You can NEVER have too many offensive or defensive linemen in the NFL. I say you still take best player available and let the rotation work itself out. If you need to trade a guy like Corey Williams after one season then you do that. Defensive tackles get tired and need to rest for a couple of snaps more than any other position. You can't underestimate the effect of consistently rotating fresh bodies in and out, all of whom can play at a high level.

nmb1114
04-20-2010, 08:54 PM
You can NEVER have too many offensive or defensive linemen in the NFL. I say you still take best player available and let the rotation work itself out. If you need to trade a guy like Corey Williams after one season then you do that. Defensive tackles get tired and need to rest for a couple of snaps more than any other position. You can't underestimate the effect of consistently rotating fresh bodies in and out, all of whom can play at a high level.

I agree I would be in heaven if that happened, easily could be the best DL in the league with that

wingboy2999
04-20-2010, 10:00 PM

I do understand but that just seems re-fricking-diculous to have that many people at one position, rotation or not. Especially when we have so many holes. You don't pay someone ~11-12 mil to be a rotation player [McCoy]. Hell, I wouldn't like paying someone ~7-8 mil or whatever [Haynesworth] to be a rotation player.

SINCE1978
04-21-2010, 06:42 AM

Like what?
(not questioning ... jsut a question. Avid Suh/McCoy supporter here)

nmb1114
04-21-2010, 07:04 AM
Like what?

Going to speak out of turn here, but to me Trent Williams is a better LT prospect than Okung.

Prowler
04-21-2010, 08:29 AM
technically since we traded for corey williams then we can cut him since we didn't inherit any guaranteed money.

P-L
04-21-2010, 09:15 AM
Like what?
Well most recently, there was a Yahoo! Sports article in which a few NFL personnel indicated that they thought Okung was a right tackle in the NFL and should be drafted between 15-19, and not top 10.

SINCE1978
04-21-2010, 09:38 AM
Going to speak out of turn here, but to me Trent Williams is a better LT prospect than Okung.

Not out of turn by any means ... interesting opinion. I don't see the knock on Williams either. He seems more athletic then Bulaga & Okung ... also Stoops moved him around that oline a bunch so he is a versatile lineman for sure.
My gut feeling is Williams is the mysterious #2 T that is right there at the top acocrding to Mayhew.

Well most recently, there was a Yahoo! Sports article in which a few NFL personnel indicated that they thought Okung was a right tackle in the NFL and should be drafted between 15-19, and not top 10.

Ok. I have read also that Williams, Davis & Bulaga project as RT's by several front offices ... based on speed out of the crouch, short arms etc (whatever the knock was on each) So the elite 10 year LT to protect Stafford is not such a solid pick @ #2 in this draft. MORE proof that an elite prospect/BPA is the way to go with Suh/MCoy or trading back & getting Berry! (my top ranked 3 players)

SINCE1978
04-21-2010, 09:47 AM
I do understand but that just seems re-fricking-diculous to have that many people at one position, rotation or not. Especially when we have so many holes. You don't pay someone ~11-12 mil to be a rotation player [McCoy]. Hell, I wouldn't like paying someone ~7-8 mil or whatever [Haynesworth] to be a rotation player.

Besides the inflated salary issue, this was sort of my arguement early this week when a pass catching, rotational, TE was traded for a starting OLB! We have 5 or 6 TE's on the roster ...(Pettigrew, Heller, Scheffler, Gronkowski(?),Matthews, Nordin)
Why trade a starter for a depth player at a rarely used position when there are so many other holes to fill? get a S or another CB or a RB or another G even ... but a TE? I'll say again, we better see tons of passes to Scheffler & Pettigrew this season.

Prowler
04-21-2010, 11:21 AM
sims wasn't a starter. he was a lump of garbage that kept follett out of the starting lineup because it would have caused friction in the locker room.

boknows34
04-21-2010, 01:03 PM
sims wasn't a starter. he was a lump of garbage that kept follett out of the starting lineup because it would have caused friction in the locker room.

I agree. Sims is addition by subtraction and had no ties to the current regime. He would have been allowed to walk as a FA in 2011. Sims never even played in both of Detroit's victories last season.

SINCE1978
04-21-2010, 02:02 PM
I agree. Sims is addition by subtraction and had no ties to the current regime. He would have been allowed to walk as a FA in 2011. Sims never even played in both of Detroit's victories last season.

Maybe not the coaching staff ... but don't kid yourself, Mayhew was right there next to Millen in the war room when Detroit drafted Sims. both palyed at FSU ... there were stil lsome ties.

Philly goes 0-16 with Sims in the line up! (jk)

The "pain train" Follett would be an amazing story if he blossomed & stepped it up as a 7th round draft pick & became a starter ... with Levy a 4th rounder, that would be a pleasant surprise & production from mid & late round draft picks ... quite a change for the Lions.

Addict
04-21-2010, 02:06 PM
Maybe not the coaching staff ... but don't kid yourself, Mayhew was right there next to Millen in the war room when Detroit drafted Sims. both palyed at FSU ... there were stil lsome ties.

Philly goes 0-16 with Sims in the line up! (jk)

The "pain train" Follett would be an amazing story if he blossomed & stepped it up as a 7th round draft pick & became a starter ... with Levy a 4th rounder, that would be a pleasant surprise & production from mid & late round draft picks ... quite a change for the Lions.

the fact that htey are still in the NFL after their rookie years is already flabbergasting.

wingboy2999
04-22-2010, 03:01 PM
http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/22050/pondering-a-haynesworth-move-again

Clock is ticking...

Prowler
04-22-2010, 03:14 PM
http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/22050/pondering-a-haynesworth-move-again

Clock is ticking...

lmao if they want okung and we took him and haynesworth

tblain1
04-22-2010, 03:19 PM

Clock is ticking...

Thats an intersting catch-22.

Reports have suggested the Redskins want to draft a left tackle at No. 4 overall. If they send Haynesworth to Detroit, the Lions might take the left tackle Washington is targeting with their No. 2 overall pick. The Redskins would be cutting off their nose to spite their face, or something like that.

woodnick
04-22-2010, 03:28 PM
There's all sorts of reports out there that say Trent Williams is the OT the Redskins really want, so the Okung speculation may be incorrect.

wingboy2999
04-22-2010, 05:11 PM
Haynesworth and #4 for #2. I could see that. Maybe.

Prowler
04-22-2010, 05:25 PM
espn insider was speculating a third rounder

wingboy2999
04-22-2010, 05:41 PM
espn insider was speculating a third rounder

That'd be fine with me but I was just thinking of something that wouldn't screw the Skins.

nmb1114
04-22-2010, 05:51 PM
I could see something like a 3rd for Haynesworth it would be worth the gamble, majority of the major money is already paid out. They'd be crazy not to do it, when Big Al plays hard when his heart is into it, and I think Schwartz can do that with his prior relationship with him with the Titans.

Now it might be crazy but I believe in taking the BPA no matter what position. So I would still take Suh but I'd move him out on the end, that way you got a dominating group on the line

Vanden Bosch - Haynesworth - Williams - Suh

Prowler
04-22-2010, 06:01 PM
i'd call every high revenue team and see if they wanted to trade up. jerry jones wouldn't care if he has to pay #2 money in an uncapped year.

nmb1114
04-23-2010, 04:21 PM
I just saw a clip that Jason La Caforna says Haynesworth will be traded for a third rounder today, do you guys think we would trade a third next year for him? or is now a dead issue?