PDA

View Full Version : Tony Scheffler a Lion ...

SINCE1978
04-19-2010, 10:49 AM
Adam_Schefter: Filed to ESPN: Three way trade -- Eagles get LB Ernie Sims, Lions get TE Tony Scheffler, Broncos get undisclosed draft pick ...

(my apologies about no link yet)

Thoughts?

SINCE1978
04-19-2010, 10:52 AM
Sounds like a 5th rounder went to Denver.

Scheffler is a Chelsea/WMU kid coming home. Hopefully he catches more than 30 balls ... Holy crap, what is up with the TE love by this organization. I wonder if BP's knee is shot?? I wonder why not a RB or CB for Ernie?

Brodeur is EXTATIC ... Ernie lover! Ha!

We target an OLB in the draft now boys. Weatherspoon/Kindle/Hughes @ #34 baby!!!!

Scotty D
04-19-2010, 10:59 AM
I've been a fan of Scheffler since he entered the league. I bet we sign Keith Bullock to play WLB.

georgiafan
04-19-2010, 11:01 AM
this trade doesnt make sense to me

SINCE1978
04-19-2010, 11:06 AM
This does seem like one of those combo/follow up deals ... unfinished until they fill the OLB spot. Maybe "pain train" Follet is penciled in? (doubtful) ;o)

My concern is getting rid of a starter on a bad defense means just another hole to fill. Maybe it's Follett ... but also, I like Jerry Hughes or Weatherspoon @ #34 & or Donald Butler in rd 4.

georgiafan
04-19-2010, 11:15 AM
looks like detriot also gets a 7th rounder

Brodeur
04-19-2010, 11:15 AM
Follett can easily replace Ernie's production (so could anything with the ability to walk but that's not the point) and Tony is a solid pass catching tight end, so it works for me.

SINCE1978
04-19-2010, 11:36 AM
I thought Julian Peterson was the one being shopped ... looks like he stays put now! They would not consider dumping Foote, Sims & Peterson in 1 off season, from the worst D in the NFL .. .would they?

Splat
04-19-2010, 11:43 AM
He is not great but solid nice move for Det.

wingboy2999
04-19-2010, 11:51 AM
this trade doesnt make sense to me

Me either.

Addict
04-19-2010, 11:51 AM
Sounds like a 5th rounder went to Denver.

that fifth rounder is the Eagles', not ours. We just sent away Ernie to play in Philly. We get a seventh + scheffler for Ernie. WINNNN

Please be ok Pettigrew!

wingboy2999
04-19-2010, 12:11 PM
This trade makes me concerned about Pettigrew... and now we have 4 7ths. Meaning we may draft Bill Stull.

Yughk.

Splat
04-19-2010, 12:20 PM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...ct-with-lions/ (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/04/19/scheffler-agrees-not-to-seek-new-contract-with-lions/)

Tony Scheffler (http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_main.aspx?sport=NFL&id=3705) is pumped about joining the Lions (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/04/19/what-we-learned-from-the-tony-scheffler-trade/), but he had to tell coach Jim Schwartz he would not seek a new contract (http://blogs.denverpost.com/broncos/2010/04/19/scheffler-restore-the-roar/) before Detroit agreed to acquire him.

The Lions didn't want a holdout, and Scheffler was happy to oblige.

Scheffler grew up an hour from Detroit and told Mike Klis of the Denver Post he wants to "Restore the roar!"

"I was just talking to my brother about that," Scheffler said. "It's going to be surreal walking into that locker room and putting on those clothes for the first time."

nmb1114
04-19-2010, 01:09 PM
Hey all just joined been looking at this site and forums for years now, and decided to finally take the plunge. I'm a closet Lions fan, but I have to say I like the move/moves they have been making this off season.

The trade makes sense if you think about it, Scott Linehan uses a lot of 2 TE sets, and our number #2 TE just retired (Casey Fitzsimons), which really lead to this deal. Will Heller is more of a blocker with soft hands.

Ernie Sims really hasn't lived up to his potential, but you also have to remember the Millen+Marinelli really reached on him because Marinelli loved him in his "Tampa Two" system, and envisioned him as the Derrick Brooks. Since the Schwartz took over he looked lost out there by going in the wrong gaps, and was taking piggy back rides 5-15 yards down the field before he could actually take a guy down

SINCE1978
04-19-2010, 01:18 PM
Hey all just joined been looking at this site and forums for years now, and decided to finally take the plunge. I'm a closet Lions fan, but I have to say I like the move/moves they have been making this off season.

The trade makes sense if you think about it, Scott Linehan uses a lot of 2 TE sets, and our number #2 TE just retired (Casey Fitzsimons), which really lead to this deal. Will Heller is more of a blocker with soft hands.

Ernie Sims really hasn't lived up to his potential, but you also have to remember the Millen+Marinelli really reached on him because Marinelli loved him in his "Tampa Two" system, and envisioned him as the Derrick Brooks. Since the Schwartz took over he looked lost out there by going in the wrong gaps, and was taking piggy back rides 5-15 yards down the field before he could actually take a guy down

Good points ... welcome out of the closet!

nmb1114
04-19-2010, 01:20 PM

Thanks this off-season I'm actually making a little sense out of these Lions finally.

cotts1
04-19-2010, 01:32 PM
I don't mind the trade. Schwartz has been good at turning mid round draft picks at LB into solid NFL starters.

wingboy2999
04-19-2010, 01:37 PM

Uh... *looks around* yeah.

Addict
04-19-2010, 01:40 PM
This trade makes me concerned about Pettigrew... and now we have 4 7ths. Meaning we may draft Bill Stull.

Yughk.

maybe trade up for an early sixth round pick?

wingboy2999
04-19-2010, 01:43 PM
maybe trade up for an early sixth round pick?

I'll just say "whatever" to that.

Addict
04-19-2010, 01:45 PM
I'll just say "whatever" to that.

american style 'whaddevur' or british style 'wha-evar'?

wingboy2999
04-19-2010, 02:23 PM
american style 'whaddevur' or british style 'wha-evar'?

Now I'm just confused. American style I'm guessing.

Brodeur
04-19-2010, 02:30 PM
We need to keep one of our 7th's for ZOLTAN so the rest are fair game.

Maybe Next Year Millen2
04-19-2010, 02:44 PM
Landon Johnson might be our answer at Will. That move went under the radar. He's a decent player with experience. Or we draft one again ughh but at least Mayhew has a better track record finding LBs.

wingboy2999
04-19-2010, 03:11 PM
As BVO makes the point... we should have gone after him last year and drafted Oher.

Bah.

P-L
04-19-2010, 03:11 PM
Some people don't understand how bad Ernie Sims was last year. ProFootballFocus had him rated as the worst linebacker in the entire FNL last season. Now the coaches don't need to feel like they have to play him because of contract and draft position. Like Brodeur said, pretty much anyone can come in and play better than Sims did last year. Levy was very good last year and can play all three positions so between Follett and Dizon we can figure out who fits best where and play Levy at the other spot.

I also love the idea of running two tight end sets with Pettigrew and Scheffler when Brandon is healthy.

wingboy2999
04-19-2010, 03:16 PM
Some people don't understand how bad Ernie Sims was last year. ProFootballFocus had him rated as the worst linebacker in the entire FNL last season. Now the coaches don't need to feel like they have to play him because of contract and draft position. Like Brodeur said, pretty much anyone can come in and play better than Sims did last year. Levy was very good last year and can play all three positions so between Follett and Dizon we can figure out who fits best where and play Levy at the other spot.

I also love the idea of running two tight end sets with Pettigrew and Scheffler when Brandon is healthy.

All my Eagles friends are exited... I'm going to use that ProFootballFocus stat to burst their bubbles.

eeth
04-19-2010, 03:31 PM
All my Eagles friends are exited... I'm going to use that ProFootballFocus stat to burst their bubbles.

The thing is Sims is probably a better fit for the Eagles now then the Lions, so I see his production increasing

Addict
04-19-2010, 05:41 PM
The thing is Sims is probably a better fit for the Eagles now then the Lions, so I see his production increasing

translation: the Eagles defense will cover up his horrible play better than the Lions' did, so he'll look less like a complete bust.

yarcraft3
04-19-2010, 05:52 PM
A little random, but at least we'll have a tight end who can catch the ball on
Madden now. I don't know about you guys, but I had problems with Pettigrew dropping a ton of balls.... and he's slower than crap.

Addict
04-19-2010, 08:19 PM
A little random, but at least we'll have a tight end who can catch the ball on
Madden now. I don't know about you guys, but I had problems with Pettigrew dropping a ton of balls.... and he's slower than crap.

lol that's just you I think. Pettigrew & CJ saved my ass the fist few years. HE went over 70 catches and 800 yds 12 td's first three seasons until I had a very strong receiver draft and got me a few A potential 80+ ovr rookies with glue hands in rounds 3-6.

But regardless: pretty good TE in Madden, mr. Pettigrew.

Scotty D
04-19-2010, 08:25 PM
I've been thinking about how we should have done this three way trade to get Rob Sims and keep our 5th round pick.

Seattle gets
5th - PHI

Detroit gets
Rob Sims, LG
7th rounder - PHI

Philadelphia gets
Ernie Sims, LB

5th round pick or one year of Scheffler??

WMD
04-19-2010, 08:31 PM
I've been thinking about how we should have done this three way trade to get Rob Sims and keep our 5th round pick.

Seattle gets
5th - PHI

Detroit gets
Rob Sims, LG
7th rounder - PHI

Philadelphia gets
Ernie Sims, LB

5th round pick or one year of Scheffler??
I'd take Scheffler. I'm not sure about the rules of Comp picks but I assume if he leaves, he'll sign somewhere else and be a starter and get quite a bit of work.. which would result in us getting better than a 5th rounder compensatory pick.

detroit4life
04-19-2010, 09:05 PM
idk how i feel about this. still very confusing to me.

Dizon at the Will?

Warren, Spikes, Zoltan in the 7th?

whats with mayhews fascination with 7th round picks

Huss
04-19-2010, 09:28 PM
An outstanding trade by Detroit. Good to see fellow Lions fans who give profootballfocus.com a looksie. Ernie was flat out awful last year - and I believe his 2008 season might have been the worst in recent history by anyone who plays the linebacker the position. Some Lions fans may still be mesmerized by his draft status and physique, but the Lions will ultimately get better by plugging anybody into the WLB spot now.

Scheffler is an ideal #2 TE who will give Detroit an even more potent version of the Wiggins/Kleinsasser combo Linehan deployed in Minnesota. Getting anybody to watch Sims' film and decide to trade us an asset for him is full of win, in my opinion.

boknows34
04-19-2010, 10:37 PM
Agree with those who mention Linehan likes his two TE sets. Fitzsimmons retiring meant the Lions were probably going to look at a TE lower down in the draft anyway so why not pick up a guy who improves depth and is good insurance for Pettigrew for very little cost. Losing Sims is also addition by subtraction and he wasn't going to be re-signed in 2011.

Pettigrew and Scheffler are also two different types of TE anyway so I wouldn't read too much into Pettigrew's health. Scheffler can also be used in the slot in a Dallas Clark type role and gives Stafford another weapon. La Canfora even reported today that BP is recovering "very well".

Addict
04-20-2010, 04:05 AM
idk how i feel about this. still very confusing to me.

Dizon at the Will?

Warren, Spikes, Zoltan in the 7th?

whats with mayhews fascination with 7th round picks

steals and dey looks epiczzz on madden?

SINCE1978
04-20-2010, 08:39 AM
An outstanding trade by Detroit. Good to see fellow Lions fans who give profootballfocus.com a looksie. Ernie was flat out awful last year - and I believe his 2008 season might have been the worst in recent history by anyone who plays the linebacker the position. Some Lions fans may still be mesmerized by his draft status and physique, but the Lions will ultimately get better by plugging anybody into the WLB spot now.

Scheffler is an ideal #2 TE who will give Detroit an even more potent version of the Wiggins/Kleinsasser combo Linehan deployed in Minnesota. Getting anybody to watch Sims' film and decide to trade us an asset for him is full of win, in my opinion.

Welcome, 3 posts ... your cherry has been popped! Hate to bust you up so early on but listen to that statement ... "an ideal #2 TE" really? Even if Sims was a bad fit, or overpursued lanes, or had durability issues or ... (fill in the blank, the guy was hated on this board!) he was Detroit's defensive captain, a top 15 overall pick, still young & a starting OLB! He is going to start in Philly! Traded for a #2 TE?? I like Scheffler, he's from my neck of the woods, was a tremndous talent even back in the day ... but we are putting a ton of faith into a 7th round pick Follett to fil lthat void. or Dizon who is NOT a starting NFL OLB imho. Plus, if we go OLB with pick #34 or #66 it leaves RB or CB or ... (whatever needed position) out of the equation. Just say'n ... It's a bit of a head scratcher, unless the other shoe drops & Schwarz wrangles in Keith Bullocks to sign a 1 year deal.

Agree with those who mention Linehan likes his two TE sets. Fitzsimmons retiring meant the Lions were probably going to look at a TE lower down in the draft anyway so why not pick up a guy who improves depth and is good insurance for Pettigrew for very little cost. Losing Sims is also addition by subtraction and he wasn't going to be re-signed in 2011.

Pettigrew and Scheffler are also two different types of TE anyway so I wouldn't read too much into Pettigrew's health. Scheffler can also be used in the slot in a Dallas Clark type role and gives Stafford another weapon. La Canfora even reported today that BP is recovering "very well".

Good points fella. BP will be back & really needs to produce year 2 ... more than just block real good. ;o)

Prowler
04-20-2010, 08:56 AM
http://freep.com/article/20100420/SPORTS18/4200325/

matt millen defending his boy.

"It's not so much (Detroit) giving up on him. They weren't going to re-sign him," Millen said. "He's at end of his contract, the last year of his deal. The style of defense he was drafted for they're not running in Detroit.

"Ernie Sims, he's got exceptional skill. Nobody is going to outrun him. He had problems with hitting so hard, he knocked himself out a bunch of times. Three short years ago, people were talking about Ernie Sims being a Pro Bowler. Then he got beat up, and they changed defenses. But that's the same Ernie Sims drafted just a few years ago. I think Andy Reid did an outstanding job of getting himself an outstanding football player."

Addict
04-20-2010, 08:58 AM
http://freep.com/article/20100420/SPORTS18/4200325/

matt millen defending his boy.

"It's not so much (Detroit) giving up on him. They weren't going to re-sign him," Millen said. "He's at end of his contract, the last year of his deal. The style of defense he was drafted for they're not running in Detroit.

"Ernie Sims, he's got exceptional skill. Nobody is going to outrun him. He had problems with hitting so hard, he knocked himself out a bunch of times. Three short years ago, people were talking about Ernie Sims being a Pro Bowler. Then he got beat up, and they changed defenses. But that's the same Ernie Sims drafted just a few years ago. I think Andy Reid did an outstanding job of getting himself an outstanding football player."

I'm a little confused about millen. He was excellent on tv before he became a terrible GM right? So right now whta is he? Is he that excellent TV guy again or is he some washed up, hated GM who pretends to still have TV cred?

Prowler
04-20-2010, 09:11 AM
he's a guy who needs to try flying a plane solo to europe right now.

ironman4579
04-20-2010, 09:24 AM
Getting rid of Sims is a good enough deal for me. I wouldn't have cared if we just got a 7th back. Addition by subtraction.

SINCE1978
04-20-2010, 09:57 AM
I too am glad Detroit got rid of Sims. More for the sake that all of the haters in here will stop gripping about him, hahahaha!!!!

"Value" is relative. We only have to look as far as one of our recent roster additions CB Chris Houston. Atlanta thought they were getting "it" for a traded 5th round pick in excange for Houston ... the 41st overall draft pick in the 2007 draft.

Regardless of a websites measurables on "worst" at a position he still started & Reid has him slated as a starter in Philly (a damn solid D) so giving up a starter for an earlier suggested 7th round pick, come on ... really? Mayhew loves him 7th round picks but that to me is not "value". just say'n ...

Jimmy
04-20-2010, 10:00 AM
Scheffler was a great target for Cutler. Luckily he has a similar QB in Det.

2010 Projection: 65 Catches, 850 yards, 6 TD

you guys are lucky

SINCE1978
04-20-2010, 10:10 AM
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Wow ... we will really be tossing around the pigskin if #1b TE has that sort of season.
C. Johnson, Burelson, Pettigrew & B. Johnson will want touches too. Interesting. Maybe we just don't run the ball like Indy & pass all darn game! (kidding ... sort of)

P-L
04-20-2010, 10:14 AM
I don't think we are going to see quite those types of numbers from Scheffler because Burelson and Pettigrew (when healthy) will get their share of touches. However, I wouldn't be the slightest bit disappointed if Scheffler caught 50 passes and 4 TD.

ironman4579
04-20-2010, 10:18 AM
I too am glad Detroit got rid of Sims. More for the sake that all of the haters in here will stop gripping about him, hahahaha!!!!

"Value" is relative. We only have to look as far as one of our recent roster additions CB Chris Houston. Atlanta thought they were getting "it" for a traded 5th round pick in excange for Houston ... the 41st overall draft pick in the 2007 draft.

Regardless of a websites measurables on "worst" at a position he still started & Reid has him slated as a starter in Philly (a damn solid D) so giving up a starter for an earlier suggested 7th round pick, come on ... really? Mayhew loves him 7th round picks but that to me is not "value". just say'n ...

Whether it's good "value" is determined by the market any given year. Good starters are being traded for 5th round picks right now. Even if you assume that these guys had/have "off field" issues and would otherwise be drawing 3rd or 4th round picks, a guy that has literally been one of the worst starting LB's in the league over the past couple season isn't going to draw even a 5th in the current climate.

Getting a 7th and a player is exceptional value in the current NFL trade market.

boknows34
04-20-2010, 10:40 AM
I don't think we are going to see quite those types of numbers from Scheffler because Burelson and Pettigrew (when healthy) will get their share of touches. However, I wouldn't be the slightest bit disappointed if Scheffler caught 50 passes and 4 TD.

2006 was his rookie season.

His numbers with Cutler the next two seasons:

2007: 49-549-5

2008: 40-645-3

I'll disregard 2009 as he obviously wasn't a good fit in Boy Wonder's offense. His numbers dropped to 31-416-2.

Huss
04-20-2010, 10:51 AM
Welcome, 3 posts ... your cherry has been popped! Hate to bust you up so early on but listen to that statement ... "an ideal #2 TE" really? Even if Sims was a bad fit, or overpursued lanes, or had durability issues or ... (fill in the blank, the guy was hated on this board!) he was Detroit's defensive captain, a top 15 overall pick, still young & a starting OLB! He is going to start in Philly! Traded for a #2 TE?? I like Scheffler, he's from my neck of the woods, was a tremndous talent even back in the day ... but we are putting a ton of faith into a 7th round pick Follett to fil lthat void. or Dizon who is NOT a starting NFL OLB imho. Plus, if we go OLB with pick #34 or #66 it leaves RB or CB or ... (whatever needed position) out of the equation. Just say'n ... It's a bit of a head scratcher, unless the other shoe drops & Schwarz wrangles in Keith Bullocks to sign a 1 year deal.

Good points fella. BP will be back & really needs to produce year 2 ... more than just block real good. ;o)

Thanks for the welcome. It should also be noted that Scheffler is more than a #2 TE - he's essentially our slot receiver as well, much like Dallas Clark. He upgrades us at 2 positions(farewell, Dennis Northcutt!), and while I'd never project TE1 numbers from him Fantasy-wise, 40/500 would mean a whole heckuva lot for both Stafford and CJ.

I don't mean to call you out, but some of the things you said are precisely why I'm so glad Ernie is gone. Defensive captain? Great. We've got much more seasoned vets coming in now like KVB who'll fill that void. Top 15 pick? Seems to be about his only positive nowadays. Don't think we can cling to his draft position any longer - he'll never play like a top 10 pick. Young and starting? On the Lions. And on the Eagles, until they see what Schwartz saw as well. I wish Ernie the best, but I wont be holding my breath.

SINCE1978
04-20-2010, 12:54 PM
Thanks for the welcome. It should also be noted that Scheffler is more than a #2 TE - he's essentially our slot receiver as well, much like Dallas Clark. He upgrades us at 2 positions(farewell, Dennis Northcutt!), and while I'd never project TE1 numbers from him Fantasy-wise, 40/500 would mean a whole heckuva lot for both Stafford and CJ.

I don't mean to call you out, but some of the things you said are precisely why I'm so glad Ernie is gone. Defensive captain? Great. We've got much more seasoned vets coming in now like KVB who'll fill that void. Top 15 pick? Seems to be about his only positive nowadays. Don't think we can cling to his draft position any longer - he'll never play like a top 10 pick. Young and starting? On the Lions. And on the Eagles, until they see what Schwartz saw as well. I wish Ernie the best, but I wont be holding my breath.

B/c you are new I'll let you! (jk) Naw, it's totally cool to have different opinions on things (ie calling me out) ... I don't mind. ;o) I was more playing the devils advocate FOR Ernie Sims since he is not here to defend himself. hahaha! Again I'll say it, I like that Sims is gone I just would have liked either a RB or a defensive player in return. A slot WR/#2 TE (whatever) with questionable work ethic (according to Josh McDaniels) and a 7th rounder is not my idea of value. Others seem to disagree, that's fine. I bet he does fine in Philly.

tblain1
04-22-2010, 11:59 AM
With this trade, I wouldn't mind seeing us take Eric Norwood if he is there in the 4th round. I saw him play in a few games and was pretty impressed. It seemed like he was constantly in the play. He blew up Sneed in one game I saw while Sneed was still talked up as being a high prospect.

ryofan
05-08-2010, 04:16 AM
Scheffler is a great match-up problem, not only because of his size, but he has incredible athleticism, speed (for his size), leaping ability, and excellent hands; he's a human highlight film. I think he led all tight-ends in '08 in average yards per catch.

What you won't see in the stats is how he outworks and out-physicals his defenders, how he's not afraid to put his body on the line for a catch, and how he's super-clutch under pressure. He will never quit on a ball thrown by Stafford, even if it's just to deflect it from going to an opponent. He will protect your quarterback. Here's a highlight film someone made; that'll get you pumped up. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W3_OP1JCs9o

His main problem has always been his health, but it's probably directly connected to the way he plays. Stafford will love him.

Addict
05-08-2010, 06:06 AM
I'm laughin so hard at the commments on that vid.