PDA

View Full Version : OL Kevin Barry

princefielder28
03-16-2007, 02:01 PM
There are alot of threads on here that are not needed but this one I think should be talked about.

The Packers, with Kevin Barry nearly 100%, are shopping him around the league for draft picks. The Packers line was young last year, and he doesn't seem to fit in the plans anymore. Thoughts on what type of draft pick we could get for him???

neko4
03-16-2007, 02:13 PM
Franks has developed into a good blocker and could probably be the U-71 type guy, plus we have other O-Lineman now. At the begining of last season I though Barry would start, but then he got hurt ofcourse. We should look at Houston and maybe get 7th-5th for him or KC who needed a lineman.

jackalope
03-16-2007, 04:18 PM
Good to hear that we're shopping him. I like Barry but we don't need him anymore. He could be a good starter somewhere else so we could likely get a 4th for him, but hat's just my guess about what he'd be worth.

gbpackers0065
03-16-2007, 04:26 PM
He doesnt fit in the ZBS and i think we cud get somethin good 4 him so i like it

princefielder28
03-16-2007, 04:35 PM
Good to hear that we're shopping him. I like Barry but we don't need him anymore. He could be a good starter somewhere else so we could likely get a 4th for him, but hat's just my guess about what he'd be worth.

I would be very satisfied with a 4th

Vince Lombardi
03-16-2007, 05:46 PM
I think a 4th is probably wishful thinking, even though I like Barry he hasn't done alot lately. Obviously he doesn't fit our system anymore so trading him for any pick would be a good move at this point. Maybe a team like ATL who wants to get bigger on o-line will make a move for him.

GB12
03-16-2007, 05:47 PM
Linked
http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=578343

ny10804
03-16-2007, 06:25 PM
My best bet is he's worth a 6th rounder. He came in undrafted, and has started (according to NFL.com) 8 games in his 5-year career.

I put him as a sixth rounder because a guy like Tony Moll, a 5th rounder last year, has more value than Barry right now.

ds8582
03-16-2007, 07:04 PM
I would say at the most a 5th round pick.

bearsfan_51
03-16-2007, 07:07 PM
A 4th rounder?!?! Hahaha.....

Vince Lombardi
03-16-2007, 07:59 PM

Since we like you we'll give to you for a 3rd. ;)

M1Koter
03-16-2007, 08:06 PM

week 17....yes, so satifying....week 17...hmmm

Empire
03-16-2007, 08:51 PM
I have to agree with Bearsfan on this one. I think we might be able to squeeze a team out of a 6th but that probably would be stretching it too.

Shiver
03-16-2007, 09:41 PM
Is he starting capable? If so at what positions. Give me the 411, since Atlanta is one of the teams interested in him.

GB12
03-16-2007, 09:48 PM
Is he starting capable? If so at what positions. Give me the 411, since Atlanta is one of the teams interested in him.

I think he could be he just hasn't had much of a shot. RT is his best fit, no way he could play the left side. He seems like he could play gaurd, but in 05 he couldn't beat out Will Whitaker or Adrian Klemm so probably not. He was hurt all of last year, but I think he recovered fine. His strength is as a run blocker and we had a special package, U-71, for him when Sherman was there. I haven't seen him pass block much but I don't think it's terrible just not real good.

princefielder28
03-16-2007, 09:51 PM
I think he could be he just hasn't had much of a shot. RT is his best fit, no way he could play the left side. He seems like he could play gaurd, but in 05 he couldn't beat out Will Whitaker or Adrian Klemm so probably not. He was hurt all of last year, but I think he recovered fine. His strength is as a run blocker and we had a special package, U-71, for him when Sherman was there. I haven't seen him pass block much but I don't think it's terrible just not real good.

He could start at RT as long as he would return to the form that he was developing prior to the injury, but I'm sure once he gets the oppurunity somewhere he will play well b/c he'll put in the time needed to get there. Coaches have always described him as a work horse

ny10804
03-16-2007, 10:03 PM
* note that Barry didn't start at G in '05 because Sherman really liked the U-71 formation and felt Barry was best as that extra TE. Fat lotta good that did.

I remember a lot of people being angry that he didn't get a chance to be a starter.

GB12
03-16-2007, 10:07 PM
* note that Barry didn't start at G in '05 because Sherman really liked the U-71 formation and felt Barry was best as that extra TE. Fat lotta good that did.

I remember a lot of people being angry that he didn't get a chance to be a starter.

Yeah I was one of them. I think he could but the reason you said doesn't make much sense. I have heard it before, but why wouldn't they keep him on the feild as much as possible if they liked him there. I don't even think those 2 are still in the league. The U-71 was nice, but if that was the real reason he sacrificed 90% of his possible playing time for one package.

princefielder28
03-16-2007, 10:08 PM
Yeah I was one of them. I think he could but the reason you said doesn't make much sense. I have heard it before, but why wouldn't they keep him on the feild as much as possible if they liked him there. I don't even think those 2 are still in the league. The U-71 was nice, but if that was the real reason he sacrificed 90% of his possible playing time for one package.

Sherman was never good at judging players and where they could be utilized to their highest potential.

ny10804
03-16-2007, 10:32 PM

Just did some research:

Jul 14, 2005
Barry hopes to be that guy, too, and to prove it, he dropped 15 pounds this off-season. Barry's weight ballooned as high as 350 last season and he wasn't nearly as effective in Green Bay's U-71 package as he was in 2003. But at 336 pounds, Barry looked good during the Packers' off-season minicamps. Because Barry has worked almost exclusively at right tackle throughout his career, the chance exists that he could start there and Tauscher could be kicked inside to guard. http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=340473

Aug 9, 2005
No move: The Packers are not inclined to move Kevin Barry into the lineup at tackle or guard, according to Beightol. "The reason is what we just did here at the end of practice," Beightol said Monday morning. "If you take Kevin Barry and put him in at tackle, you're not moving it 65 yards downfield in a critical, critical situation."
Operating against the No. 2 defense, the No. 1 offense killed all 7½ minutes off the clock with a 13-play, 65-yard drive. On the drive, Barry was at tight end in the "U-71" package. http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=347011

Oct 9, 2005
Clifton came out with the other starters for warm-ups and then gutted it out on a sprained left ankle, which he had suffered last Monday in the loss to Carolina. Had Clifton not played, Tauscher would have had to move to left tackle, Kevin Barry would have had to play right tackle and the Packers would have had to go without their favored "U-71" package.http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=361999&format=print

princefielder28
03-16-2007, 10:34 PM
Just did some research:

Jul 14, 2005
http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=340473

Aug 9, 2005
http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=347011

Oct 9, 2005
http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=361999&format=print

Could I ask what the point of that was??? All the articles were a year or two ago and before the injury

GB12
03-16-2007, 10:35 PM
Still though, why not have him at Guard and then move him to TE to run the U-71.

ny10804
03-16-2007, 10:36 PM

Could I ask what the point of that was??? All the articles were a year or two ago and before the injury

Context clues.

princefielder28
03-16-2007, 10:38 PM
Context clues.

hmmmmm??????

ny10804
03-16-2007, 10:39 PM
Still though, why not have him at Guard and then move him to TE to run the U-71.

Who knows. Apparently Beightol (o-line coach) thought the best production would be with him as exclusively the TE. That and they probably didn't want to move Tauscher to guard, and conversely thought Barry was a much better tackle than guard.

princefielder28
03-16-2007, 10:40 PM
Who knows. Apparently Beightol (o-line coach) thought the best production would be with him as exclusively the TE. That and they probably didn't want to move Tauscher to guard, and conversely thought Barry was a much better tackle than guard.

That entire coaching staff was a bunch of DAs and that's why they're gone; TT is running the show now

bearsfan_51
03-17-2007, 06:53 PM
week 17....yes, so satifying....week 17...hmmm
What does you beating us in a meaningless game have to do with the fact that you think your dogshit players are worth a 4th rounder?

ds8582
03-17-2007, 07:06 PM
A 4th was wishful thinking and hey stranger things have happened.

princefielder28
03-17-2007, 08:37 PM
A 4th was wishful thinking and hey stranger things have happened.

4th rounder for a starting O-linemen somewhere else isn't asking too much

M1Koter
03-17-2007, 09:09 PM
What does you beating us in a meaningless game have to do with the fact that you think your dogshit players are worth a 4th rounder?

sounds like we struck a nerve on a still bitter bear fan, hahaha

bearsfan_51
03-17-2007, 10:18 PM
sounds like we struck a nerve on a still bitter bear fan, hahaha

Haha...umm...no? Why would I be bitter? Your team won a meaningless game and missed the playoffs. I got to watch my team make it to the Superbowl (albeit to lose not suprisingly). What exactly would I be bitter about, and what would that have to do with my comments about the trade value of Kevin Barry?

Just when I think the ratio of smart Packers fans to ******** ones starts to shift people like you open your mouths.

bearsfan_51
03-17-2007, 10:19 PM
4th rounder for a starting O-linemen somewhere else isn't asking too much
What makes Kevin Barry a starter?

Is it the 8 games he's started in 5 seasons? Maybe it's the fact that he's coming off of a major season ending injury.

M1Koter
03-17-2007, 11:08 PM
Haha...umm...no? Why would I be bitter? Your team won a meaningless game and missed the playoffs. I got to watch my team make it to the Superbowl (albeit to lose not suprisingly). What exactly would I be bitter about, and what would that have to do with my comments about the trade value of Kevin Barry?

Just when I think the ratio of smart Packers fans to ******** ones starts to shift people like you open your mouths.

You claim your not bitter but your the one who still seems to be getting pissed off, I'm just messin with ya, but hey, fuckem if they can't take a joke

neko4
03-17-2007, 11:08 PM
What makes Kevin Barry a starter?

Is it the 8 games he's started in 5 seasons? Maybe it's the fact that he's coming off of a major season ending injury.
he was only sitting behind Taucher and Clifton, hard combo to beat out

princefielder28
03-18-2007, 07:46 AM
he was only sitting behind Taucher and Clifton, hard combo to beat out

100% correct; he's a great player but the fact that our Tackles were Clifton and Tauscher( he would play RT so mostly Tauscher being here) he never got the oppurtunity to show what he can really do and the coaches know he can play b/c otherwise they wouldn't make a specific package for him

Vince Lombardi
03-18-2007, 11:50 AM
Like I said before, a 4th is probably wishful thinking but come draft day Barry may be better than any of the options left in the 4th round of what is an overall weak o-line class, and who knows, somebody who's desperate might go for it. Personally I don't think that's realistic, but then again I don't think most of these o-linemen given insane amounts of money as free agents this year were very smart moves either. I'll take anything we can get for him...