PDA

View Full Version : 2010 Packers In-Draft Discussion

Pages : [1] 2

GB12
04-22-2010, 03:18 PM
6:30 start time in Wisconsin.

jackalope
04-22-2010, 06:43 PM
God, I'm nervous. Let's go Charles Brown!

GB12
04-22-2010, 06:43 PM
Yep, I'm definitely hoping for Brown should the draft go as expected.

umphrey
04-22-2010, 06:56 PM
Bradford, Suh, McCoy gone, now we get to find out something we didn't know already

cvv84
04-22-2010, 06:57 PM
Something tells me the Redskins will be picking Bruce Campbell here.

RyanBraun8
04-22-2010, 07:33 PM
Kyle Wilson was being consider heavily at 7 over Haden by the browns...does he last until 23?

GB12
04-22-2010, 07:49 PM
Damn, there goes Davis. Maybe Bulaga continues to fall thoug

jackalope
04-22-2010, 07:52 PM
Holy **** this is an exciting draft.

umphrey
04-22-2010, 08:01 PM
Bulaga is now well within our reach. If we wanted to trade for him, we'd be getting a bargain compared to San Diego with Ryan Matthews and Philadelphia with Brandon Graham.

umphrey
04-22-2010, 08:12 PM
At the time of writing this, 8 picks and these are left
-Iupati
-Bulaga
-Pouncey
-Dez Bryant
-Sergio Kindle
-Kyle Wilson

I'm absolutely loving the way this is going so far.

RyanBraun8
04-22-2010, 08:13 PM
Hoping someone snags Bulaga actually before we pick, sorry guys just not feeling him, Peppers, KVB, Jared Allen will make him look as foolish as Brandon Graham did

princefielder28
04-22-2010, 08:20 PM
I wouldn't be overly excited or that upset with Bulaga

GB12
04-22-2010, 08:28 PM
5 picks away and Bulaga and Kindle are still available.

RyanBraun8
04-22-2010, 08:29 PM
I wouldn't be overly excited or that upset with Bulaga

Me also, I will not be mad but it will be just blah...Kyle Wilson, Sergio Kindle, Dez Bryant I'd like much better

jackalope
04-22-2010, 08:33 PM
I would be overly excited if we got Bulaga.

roughrider30
04-22-2010, 08:33 PM
Me also, I will not be mad but it will be just blah...Kyle Wilson, Sergio Kindle, Dez Bryant I'd like much better

Ya I definitely agree with that. I wouldn't mind Hughes as well

umphrey
04-22-2010, 08:36 PM
We are going to get a quality, impact player today. Multiple players I like that I thought would be gone are mathematically guaranteed to be options for us at this point.

Whistler6
04-22-2010, 08:46 PM
Dez would like quite sexy lining up next to Driver and Jennings. Bulaga would be solid, but not a big wow factor. Either way, they are going to get a fantastic talent!!!

jackalope
04-22-2010, 08:47 PM
I'm so nervous that we'll take Mays over Bulaga.

RyanBraun8
Well if they don't take Bulaga I bet many Packer fans will not be happy but if Denver doesn't pick Dez he is my pick DD is getting old, JJ and Nelson don't have star potential and are most likely career 3s. Bryant could be a best for us...Id wouldn't complain with Wilson, Kindle, Hughes

umphrey
Finally we are up and Bryant, Kindle, Wilson, Bulaga are there, what a dream! This will be very interesting.

RyanBraun8
04-22-2010, 08:48 PM
I wouldn't mind Mays over Bulaga at all, I'd actually be trilled even though Mays is a work in progress.

Whistler6
04-22-2010, 08:50 PM
http://twitter.com/Adam_Schefter Adam Schefter is so far ahead of the game. Check it out, and he is basically calling out the picks 5 minutes before they are made.

GB12
04-22-2010, 08:51 PM
Brian Bulaga! **** yes!!!!!!!!!!!!

jackalope
04-22-2010, 08:53 PM
Hell yeah. Did not think today would go close to this well.

RyanBraun8
04-22-2010, 08:53 PM
blahhhhh, but i can live with an career average OT.

umphrey
04-22-2010, 08:55 PM
Awesome! I really liked Dez Bryant and Sergio Kindle would have been great impact picks, Kyle Wilson would have helped our secondary a lot, but Bulaga is an awesome value, best long term, huge leap forward for the offensive line, some real security for the offensive line that we didn't have 5 minutes ago.

roughrider30
04-22-2010, 08:57 PM
Not the sexiest pick ever, but probably the right one. I didn't think he would fall anywhere near us

PackerLegend
04-22-2010, 09:02 PM
I wanted a sexy pick but our o-line could use the help.

Whistler6
04-22-2010, 09:03 PM
http://a3.twimg.com/profile_images/823003283/get-attachment.aspx_normal.jpeg (http://twitter.com/AaronRodgers12) AaronRodgers12 (http://twitter.com/AaronRodgers12)

Thanks Ted!! He's gonna look good in green and gold

Whistler6
04-22-2010, 09:04 PM
http://a1.twimg.com/profile_images/824650932/CM3_normal.jpg (http://twitter.com/ClayMatthews52) ClayMatthews52 (http://twitter.com/ClayMatthews52)

Bryan Bulaga... That's a big boy! Really like this pick!!

Whistler6
04-22-2010, 09:04 PM
http://a3.twimg.com/profile_images/790499743/image_normal.jpg (http://twitter.com/NickBarnett) NickBarnett (http://twitter.com/NickBarnett)

Although am a lil selfish and want defense!!! Still should be a great pick!! Defense pick next!!

RyanBraun8
04-22-2010, 09:10 PM
It was a good pick and the smart pick but Dez was the HR pick haha I wanted sexy. Top 5 WR's don't fall in your lap everyday and the last time it did in the later 1st round we past for Vonnie Holliday...the good pick the and the smart pick but damn

princefielder28
04-22-2010, 09:14 PM
Bulaga looks like a Packer more than anyone

GB12
04-22-2010, 09:16 PM
Clifton-Lang-Spitz-Sitton-Bulaga

That could actually be really good if Clifton holds up.

cvv84
04-22-2010, 09:17 PM
Finally we are up and Bryant, Kindle, Wilson, Bulaga are there, what a dream! This will be very interesting.

Pretty much a dream senerio. I remember being laughed at a month ago when I mentioned Dez Bryant being available at 23.

Bulaga is a solid pick though. He doesn't have the longest arms or biggest hands but he does remind me alot of Clifton. Worst case we'll have a solid right tackle. I really think we're going to regret passing on Bryant but if we can't keep Rodgers upright then whats the point.

Whistler6
04-22-2010, 09:19 PM
If Clifton goes down, the season isn't now lost. A great value at #23, but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't a bit disappointed. Have to settle and be happy with this pick though...

RyanBraun8
04-22-2010, 09:19 PM
Clifton-Lang-Spitz-Sitton-Bulaga

That could actually be really good if Clifton holds up.

I like that a lot. I have said for the past couple months that Bulaga is a RT or at least for 1-2 seasons.

GB12
04-22-2010, 09:22 PM
I like that a lot. I have said for the past couple months that Bulaga is a RT or at least for 1-2 seasons.

Hey, even if he can't play LT in the NFL (which I disagree with) he's still a good pick. Right tackle was still a need and 23 isn't too high to take one.

PACKmanN
04-22-2010, 09:26 PM
Booooooooooooooooooooooogala!

Whistler6
04-22-2010, 09:27 PM
With all the talent left, I would not at all be surprised to see TT actually trade up into the early 2nd. Tomorrow is going to be just as crazy as tonight.

umphrey
04-22-2010, 09:27 PM
Hey, even if he can't play LT in the NFL (which I disagree with) he's still a good pick. Right tackle was still a need and 23 isn't too high to take one.

Exactly. And I'd call him a sure thing at RT. Starting to look at rounds 2-3, we should be able to get a good CB for sure and I'm hoping to get McCluster or Best. If we could pull that off this draft would be an A for me.

Whistler6
04-22-2010, 09:31 PM
On not having to start right away: "I don't exactly know what my role will be, but I'm going to push myself to win a starting job."

http://twitter.com/jasonjwilde

GB12
04-22-2010, 09:32 PM
He should definitely be able to beat out Tauscher.

Whistler6
04-22-2010, 09:36 PM
Here goes Kyle Wilson to the Jets

NickCollins36
04-22-2010, 09:39 PM
I wanted a sexy pick but our o-line could use the help.

Yea same here. My sexy pick woulda been dez bryant but bulaga is the right pick

GB12
04-22-2010, 09:42 PM
With all the talent left, I would not at all be surprised to see TT actually trade up into the early 2nd. Tomorrow is going to be just as crazy as tonight.

Ya know, I wouldn't mind trading up for another tackle. Get one of the higher risk big potential guys in Charles Brown or Bruce Campbell and let them sit on the bench and learn LT. Take care of the position completely.

umphrey
04-22-2010, 09:43 PM
We better start the best tackle and not just hand it to Tauscher

GB12
04-22-2010, 09:46 PM
Wow. Vikings trade out instead of taking Clausen who fell into their lap. I didn't think Clausen was that good, but that's still surprising.

They might still be able to get him at 34 though.

Whistler6
04-22-2010, 09:52 PM
Damnit, I really realllly wanted Best. I think all the concussion talk is vastly overrated. Great pick for the Lions.

herkyhawkeye
04-22-2010, 10:15 PM
3 points I'd like to make

1. People play up Bulaga's performance against O'Brien Schofield and Brandon Graham as him playing normally. He had a problem with his thyroid that took him out for practically a month with no physical activity. He was rushed back not being 100% and it showed against two top tier des. When he was back to 100% he proved to shutdown Cam Heyward(top 15 pick next year) and Derrick Morgan. He was dominant as well for the entire '08 season. It is important to note the thyroid problem is completely done. It wont hamper bulaga whatsoever.

2. He has versatility. He will excel at either OT positions or inside at guard.

3. Hes very young. He turned 21 a month ago.

RyanBraun8
04-22-2010, 10:36 PM
Lions will be a team to really look out for in 2 or 3 year once all these guys hitthere prime. I love what Schwartz and company are doin across the lake.

I was a little critical before but that is just because I think Dez will be a great player. Bulaga will be solid for us for years to come. So much talent left on the board, I'd also wouldnt be shock to see TT move up

I'd be fine with any of these guys in the 2nd tomorrow
RB: McCluster, Gerhart
WR:Benn, Tate, Gilyard
TE: Gronkowski
OL: Ducasse, Campell, Brown, Staffold, Veldheer
DL:Price, Cody, L. Joseph, Houston
OLB: Kindle, Dunlap, Griffen, Mosi
CB: Cook, Frank, Murphy, Ghee, Owusu Ansah
S: Mays, Jones, Burnett, Ward (high on)

J-Mike88
04-22-2010, 10:55 PM
Hoping someone snags Bulaga actually before we pick, sorry guys just not feeling him, Peppers, KVB, Jared Allen will make him look as foolish as Brandon Graham did
I really think we're going to regret passing on Bryant....
Dittox2 right there. I kept hoping someone would bite on Bulaga every pick from 6-22......

TitleTown088
04-22-2010, 11:02 PM
Brian Bulaga! **** yes!!!!!!!!!!!!

Amen,. Money pick. I can't believe he fell to 23.

johbur
04-22-2010, 11:33 PM
Solid pick. Bulaga has good value, buit I also see him more of the Hawk player that's solid, but not special. I'll take solid on the O-line though.

Maybe Taylor Mays will fall to GB in R2... ;D

Packystan
04-22-2010, 11:51 PM
Solid pick. Bulaga has good value, buit I also see him more of the Hawk player that's solid, but not special. I'll take solid on the O-line though.

Maybe Taylor Mays will fall to GB in R2... ;D

If Ted could somehow manage to trade up and snag a Mays, Kindle, or McCluster, I'd be extremely happy.

J-Mike88
04-22-2010, 11:55 PM
Here's Bulaga's Twitter for those of you who Tweet, or are Twits.

http://twitter.com/BBulaga

J-Mike88
04-23-2010, 12:44 AM
How many calls, and how bad will the Rams rape somebody for that #33 pick to someone who wants Jimmy Clausen before the Vikings pick at #34?

Auction with the Browns and Bills upping the bids like an eBay auction?
Maybe Seattle steps in?
But Colt McCoy is still there too... either of those QB's is a coup for the evil purple, dammit. But at least it won't help them this year.

I heard rumblings from Minnesota today (Thu) that the Vikings were swining hard for Albert Haynesworth. Nothing yet though has come about.

J-Mike88
04-23-2010, 12:55 AM
Even though I am disappointed, this is good to read:

Some good net surfing here, thanks2 Bedard:
Here's what they are saying around the Web about Green Bay's selection of Bryan Bulaga with the No. 23 overall pick. And as far as I can tell, no one disliked the Packers' selection.

•CBSSports.com's Pete Prisco gives the Packers a B+ grade for the Bulaga pick. He writes: "They needed offensive tackle help and this is a player who slipped. At this spot, this is good value. He will push for time at right tackle this season."
•SI.com's Ross Tucker assigns a grade of 3.28 to the Packers for the pick. He writes: "Green Bay is ecstatic is is able to draft a player many thought would go in the top 10. Chad Clifton and Mark Tauscher can't play forever, and Bulaga will either start on the right side at tackle or slide inside to guard for a year before bumping outside later in his career. A meat and potatoes pick for a meat and a potatoes franchise."
•Staying at SI.com, Don Banks notes that while Bulaga slid down the draft he had a "pretty soft landing ... Other than the monetary hit that Bulaga took from falling out of the top 10 -- easy for me to say, right? -- going to the Packers could be a perfect career move. Green Bay doesn't need help immediately from Bulaga and can let him work himself into the lineup at guard, eventually transitioning to tackle once either Mark Tauscher or Chad Clifton moves on."
•FoxSports.com's John Czarnecki says this was a "solid pick." At the draft, Peter Schrager reports that the Packer fans there were "ecstatic."
•Pro Football Weekly's Nolan Nawrocki explains why Bulaga's stock fell - and says it shouldn't be a concern. "After Bulaga's arms measured 32 1/4 inches at his pro day, shorter than any other left tackle in the league, NFL OL coaches began to express greater concern about his ability to handle the edge and his stock was affected adversely,: Nawrocki writes. "However, he is very smart, understands angles and has good feet to become a very solid starter in the pros. He likely will be groomed inside at left guard next to Chad Clifton, with potential to kick outside in a year or two."
•Also at Pro Football Weekly, Mike Feminis includes Bulaga among his good fits of the first round. He writes: "The visible relief on Bulaga's face when he got the call from Green Bay was probably matched by quarterback Aaron Rodgers, who spent way too much time picking himself off the turf last year. And while Bulaga probably slid further than he was anticipating, he winds up in an ideal landing spot. After growing up in the Midwest and honing his craft under renown offensive line molder Kirk Ferentz at Iowa, he remains in Big Ten country and will make his living in the NFC North. His athletic ability, sound technique and nasty playing temperament will endear himself in Green Bay."
•The St. Petersburg Times says the Bulaga pick was the biggest steal of the first round.
•New Era Scouting's Mike Miller also has nothing but good things to say. He writes: "Bulaga just fits the Packer offense, the Packer philosophy and the town Green Bay. We really like this pick, as Bulaga will not be forced to start from day one. He’s a very good tackle, we liked him a lot more than others, but he’ll be able to slowly immerse himself in to this offense if needed." Miller's remaining needs for Green Bay, in order, are CB, P, RB, OG, OC and TE.
•NBCSports.com sees Bulaga eventually sticking at right tackle.
•Fanhouse's R.J. Wright gives the Packers a B grade. His good news, bad news - "Green Bay gets high marks for getting someone that was thought to be a lock for the top 10 at No. 23, but there was a reason his stock really fell in the days leading up to the draft."
•DraftDaddy.com calls it a "great pick" and gives the Packers a grade of A-. The site gave out eight grades in the A range (one A+, one A and six A-).

mqtirishfan
04-23-2010, 01:37 AM
I wanted Kindle. :(

BloodBrother
04-23-2010, 03:19 AM
Love the pick. Dez Bryant was tempting...just like Crabtree was last year, but the offense already is stacked with weapons, and what good is a Dez Bryant when Rodgers is on his butt all the time, or worse, injured

you win games at the LOS. Now they can focus on D in round 2, perhaps even move up. Lots of quality names left

umphrey
04-23-2010, 06:39 AM
A new day, and I feel even better about Bulaga than I did yesterday. Such an amazing blend of need, prospect talent, prototype, value falling into our laps is absolutely phenomenal. I'd be knocking on my wood desk right now if I was superstitious...Bulaga is one of the most sure things in the entire draft. Absolutely worst case scenario, he's a good right tackle or guard, and we got the Cadillac of insurance plans for our offensive line right now and by extension Aaron Rodgers.

I'm ecstatic because I have real confidence that 4 pieces of our offensive line are set for the future. Bulaga, Lang, Sitton could all end up growing together and being good individually, great as a unit, and I'm not worried about center with Spitz and Wells both proving to be adequate at worst.

Favre4ever
04-23-2010, 07:21 AM
Like many have said Bulaga is not a sexy pick but a great one nonetheless. Its the type of pick in many years we will look back as one of TT's bests. The guy is an absolute force in the running game, on tape you can see him embarrass players outhere, which explains why some think he would make a pro bowl guard. He moves very well and hes a perfect fit for the ZBS. His great feet and brute strength makes him a very good candidate for the tackle spot also. Pouncey and Bulaga were probably the most versatile OL in this draft.

Favre4ever
04-23-2010, 07:23 AM
I wanted Kindle. :(

Me too but Bulaga was a much bigger need. We need to protect the face of the franchise and most likely the next NFL QB star...

umphrey
04-23-2010, 12:39 PM
I'm holding on to an unrealistic hope that we somehow end up with Kindle (my favorite 3-4 OLB in the draft) or Mays today.

I also wouldn't mind Bruce Campbell, Rodger Safford or Charles Brown. If we land one of those guys we have officially fixed our biggest problem last year.

Other guys I like for today, no particular order: Brandon Ghee, Golden Tate, Koa Misi, Dexter McCluster, Morgan Burnett, Joe McKnight.

umphrey
04-23-2010, 12:46 PM
Update: Apparently Kindle has horrible, horrible knees (no cartilage, bone on bone) which explains the fall. Assuming that's true I wouldn't trade up for him, but I'd give him some consideration at our pick. I would probably take most of the guys listed in my last post over him.

TitleTown088
04-23-2010, 01:31 PM
Even though I am disappointed

Of course you're not happy with the Bulaga pick, it's no a sexy pick.

J-Mike88
04-23-2010, 02:35 PM
Of course you're not happy with the Bulaga pick, it's no a sexy pick.
It's not because of sexy. It's because I want our current team to get better, starting with the starters, and our current team already has a great offense.
Our current team scored 45 points in the playoff game and it wasn't good enough.
Now if you tell me that TT has taken free agency to fill some of those pass defense holes, then I am fine with taking the hopeful future LT that we need. But you know damn well TT hasn't added anyone to our defense that didnt' so much as sniff Warner or Favre, two times.

Our other team weakness is special teams, and at least Dez Bryant would have upgraded that phase instantly, as well as being a great WR to take over for Driver. Jordy and Jones are no more than a solid #3 WR in this league.

Look, if cvv84 said we're going to regret passing on Dez Bryant, you know it's indisputable. And if I agree with him, then it's going to be like watching Randy Moss from 1998-2004.

The bottom line is this team is close, and I want to add 2-3 impact players at our weak positions. Bulaga might help a lot down the road, but this team right now is so good but just missing the pass defense. We all saw it. I'm beginning to think that it was so traumatic, that some of you forgot all about the Viking games, the Steeler game, and the Cardinals playoff loss. Our pass defense was Lion-like in those 4 games! Bulaga doesn't help that, nor does being allergic to free agency.

But John Clayton really likes our pick, so it must have been a good one. :)

bigboiajhawk
04-23-2010, 03:09 PM
I am so pumped about the bulaga pick, I was calling for him back in october, I really did not think he would ever reach the Packers. Easy, no brainer pick for TT. This guy will be the ultimate back-up this year, although after listening to TT's press conference he made a mention of trading players with picks to move up. I am wondering if the Packers trade a guy like colledge or spitz and move up in the 2nd round.

Now get a safety or cb in round 2 and it looks like the Packers will have a solid draft.

TitleTown088
04-23-2010, 03:20 PM
It's not because of sexy. It's because I want our current team to get better, starting with the starters, and our current team already has a great offense.
:)

Our "current" team is one ankle roll away from Lang at LT or Barber at RT again.We've all seen how "our" offense plays when that is the case.
Everything I've ever seen you mention around here is about sexy or flashy pickups. I don't care how cliche it is...everything starts in the trenches.

Whistler6
04-23-2010, 03:24 PM
Bulaga could start at guard from day 1, and maybe he won't have an instant impact on the field...But he will be right there lighting a fire under the current starter's rear-ends.

As a fan I wanted WR/RB/OLB, but when a possible OT-top-10-talent lands at #23, you draft him. But yes, Dez Bryant would have been awesome...

cvv84
04-23-2010, 04:34 PM
Dittox2 right there. I kept hoping someone would bite on Bulaga every pick from 6-22......

I like Bulaga and he WAS the smart pick, but I think Bryant is going to be a prolific WR. Not Randy Moss but something a little less than Fitzgerald. We have alot of talented WRs though imagining Jennings, Bryant, and Finley as our weapons gives me chills.

cvv84
04-23-2010, 04:36 PM
Update: Apparently Kindle has horrible, horrible knees (no cartilage, bone on bone) which explains the fall. Assuming that's true I wouldn't trade up for him, but I'd give him some consideration at our pick. I would probably take most of the guys listed in my last post over him.

Knowing that I'm glad we passed on him in the 1st round. However if we got him in the 2nd I'd be estatic.

Bulaga went from late 1st to top 10 and finally back to the late 1st. We got a young, talented kid and a future LT or RT to protect one of, if not the, best young QBs in the league. We're set with Sitton and Bulaga so if Lang can solidify a spot we're going to be in good shape for the future.

GB12
04-23-2010, 04:58 PM
Bulaga could start at guard from day 1, and maybe he won't have an instant impact on the field...But he will be right there lighting a fire under the current starter's rear-ends.

Bulaga should start at right tackle at day one. He shouldn't even be practicing at guard. Between Wells, Spitz, Lang, Sitton, and Colledge the three interior spots can be filled for now and the future. Bulaga can start off at right tackle replacing Tauscher immediately, and then move over to the left side next year.

Packystan
04-23-2010, 05:16 PM
Bulaga should start at right tackle at day one. He shouldn't even be practicing at guard. Between Wells, Spitz, Lang, Sitton, and Colledge the three interior spots can be filled for now and the future. Bulaga can start off at right tackle replacing Tauscher immediately, and then move over to the left side next year.

I agree. Clifton, Lang, Spitz, Sitton, Bulaga looks pretty legit.

umphrey
04-23-2010, 05:27 PM
McCluster's gone. Boooooooooooooooooooooo

drowe
04-23-2010, 05:35 PM
Ricky Sapp
that dude from IUPUI.
Amari Spievey
Joe McKnight
Koa Misi

Sergio Kindle..if he's there

GB12
04-23-2010, 05:41 PM
Ricky Sapp
that dude from IUPUI.
Amari Spievey
Joe McKnight
Koa Misi

Sergio Kindle..if he's there

Hate Ricky Sapp. Definitely don't want him in Green Bay.

You mean the corner from IUP

In round 3 maybe

Again I would wait until the third

Not a big fan of Misi, but he'd be better than Sapp

I'm hoping for, in order: Sergio Kindle, Bruce Campbell, Charles Brown, Taylor Mays, Eric Norwood

There's a good chance all of those will be gone by our pick, but I'll see what happens and update it.

J-Mike88
04-23-2010, 05:45 PM
I'm hoping for, in order: Sergio Kindle, Bruce Campbell, Charles Brown, Taylor Mays, Eric Norwood
I agree with all of those. Would love for Kindle's knee concerns get him to slide down to our pick.
If anyone would have told you before yesterday that we could come away with Kindle AND Bulaga, you would have said bull*hit. Reminicent of Raji AND Matthews.

My displeasement with the Bulaga pick would go away if we got Kindle.

Packystan
04-23-2010, 05:48 PM
There goes Misi.

GB12
04-23-2010, 05:49 PM
Well there definitely has to be some big concerns with Kindle and Mays with all these other players at their positions going ahead of them.

cvv84
04-23-2010, 05:52 PM
Well there definitely has to be some big concerns with Kindle and Mays with all these other players at their positions going ahead of them.

Hard to believe that nothing leaked out with Kindle and his possible microfracture surgery before the draft. I wouldn't mind taking flyers on those 2 guys here in the 2nd round though, preferably Kindle.

J-Mike88
04-23-2010, 05:54 PM
Everything I've ever seen you mention around here is about sexy or flashy pickups. I don't care how cliche it is...everything starts in the trenches.
You love to say that, but the bottom line is, and I don't know how clear I have to make this, is: OUR PASS DEFENSE SUCKED.
We padded stats against the Browns, Lions, Rams, even the Bucs, but when we faced Favre Warner and Ben, well you know what happened.

Why is it a crime to want to fix the pass defense? And now?
If we added a CB or OLB in free agency, then fine go with the future LT prospect here. But we don't do that.

TT rolls all his eggs into the draft basket. Sorry, but it is what it is. It's not flashy and sexy to want to get someone who can sack Favre or the statue Warner? Last I checked, 45 points should win football games. But it wasn't enough with our horrific pass defense. And the injury excuse at CB is not valid. Many other teams had a lot more injuries than we did, and we didn't even lose any of our best 3 players on defense (Woodson, Matthews, Collins). Imagine missing 2 of those 3 guys, which happens in the NFL. Then injury is a valid excuse.

All I want is to #1- improve our pass defense, thank you. That's not sexy but if you say it is, it must be,

J-Mike88
04-23-2010, 05:56 PM
Hard to believe that nothing leaked out with Kindle and his possible microfracture surgery before the draft. I wouldn't mind taking flyers on those 2 guys (Taylor Mays) here in the 2nd round though, preferably Kindle.
Those are sexy desires.

cvv84
04-23-2010, 06:01 PM
Linval Joseph from east carolina would be a nice option in the 2nd as well. Develop him while we wait out Jolly's legal issues and Jenkins potential free agent status after this season.

Packystan
04-23-2010, 06:03 PM
Apparently the Ravens want Kindle.

And as I'm typing that, there he goes. Good for him. Ray's leadership is going to bring everything out of that guy. I think a lot of teams are going to regret passing on him.

Packystan
04-23-2010, 06:11 PM
What is the consensus here about E. Griffin?

drowe
04-23-2010, 06:11 PM
Everson Griffen. want.
forgot about him.

cvv84
04-23-2010, 06:14 PM
Linval Joseph from east carolina would be a nice option in the 2nd as well. Develop him while we wait out Jolly's legal issues and Jenkins potential free agent status after this season.

F-you Giants.

GB12
04-23-2010, 06:19 PM
I don't want Griffen. I think he's a bad fit as a 3-4 OLB, and don't even like him much regardless of scheme.

cvv84
04-23-2010, 06:21 PM
How nice would it be to land another OT like Brown or Campbell at 56? Might have to leap frog New England and Pittsburgh to do so though.

GB12
04-23-2010, 06:23 PM
How nice would it be to land another OT like Brown or Campbell at 56? Might have to leap frog New England and Pittsburgh to do so though.
I was just thinking that we should wait for the first one to go and then trade right up for the other.

GB12
04-23-2010, 06:24 PM
There goes Mays.

cvv84
04-23-2010, 06:28 PM
I was just thinking that we should wait for the first one to go and then trade right up for the other.

Not a bad idea. I'd be ecstatic if we were able to draft our 2 OTs of the (near) future. Similar to what the Jags were able to accomplish in last years draft.

umphrey
04-23-2010, 06:30 PM
Campbell, Tate, Ghee, Brown all still on the board.

I have a strange sense of confidence in Ghee and I'm not sure where it came from.

Packystan
04-23-2010, 06:32 PM
In the unlikely scenario that both Brown and Campbell are still available, who would you guys take? I'd take Bruce, although Brown would make me just as happy.

J-Mike88
04-23-2010, 06:34 PM
There goes Mays.
Unbelievable that the 49ers get him with the 49th pick when many had them taking him in the teens.

Also unreal that the Ravens got Kindle at pick 43.

Here come the Vikings, do they steal Colt McCoy?

cvv84
04-23-2010, 06:35 PM
Vikes trade up for Toby Gerhart.

umphrey
04-23-2010, 06:35 PM
Brown's the better prospect IMO. Campbell might make sense though because we can take a risk after picking up Bulaga. Oddly enough, Brown would probably be our future LT and Bulaga our future RT.

But I don't think I want Campbell. Realistically I don't see him ever being an NFL tackle.

GB12
04-23-2010, 06:36 PM
Damn it. I wanted to be able to like Gerhart.

J-Mike88
04-23-2010, 06:36 PM
In the unlikely scenario that both Brown and Campbell are still available, who would you guys take? I'd take Bruce, although Brown would make me just as happy.
Good question and tough call.
In this situation, I'd roll the big dice on Campbell knowing we already got Bulaga.

Vikings taking white thunder right here.....

cvv84
04-23-2010, 06:40 PM
Brown's the better prospect IMO. Campbell might make sense though because we can take a risk after picking up Bulaga. Oddly enough, Brown would probably be our future LT and Bulaga our future RT.

But I don't think I want Campbell. Realistically I don't see him ever being an NFL tackle.

Even in Campbell doesn't cut it at tackle I think he has the ability to shift to guard, which is why I like him a little more than Brown.

If we got either guy I'd be extremely happy. Still 4 picks to go though...

There's also Fox from Miami too.

J-Mike88
04-23-2010, 06:43 PM
And don't forget Veldheer.

Wow, the Steelers take another pass rushing OLB to go with Harrison and Woodley, Jason All Worilds.

Patriots, Bengals, Eagles then us. Eagles don't need another LBer.
Patriots do I think.

Kindle gone. Misi gone. Worilds gone. Who's the next best pass rushing OLB? Everson Griffen in a hope that he can play OLB?
How about the guy from Washington with the Somoan name?

cuzifelt1ikeit
04-23-2010, 06:44 PM
i feel like this is where thompson will shock everyone and pick someone out of the blue kind of deal. not someone we expect

absolutely not haha. im a washington fan and i dont think he has the athleticism to do that. also he should be drafted WAY later then day 2

GB12
04-23-2010, 06:45 PM
Yes! One is guaranteed to be there.

cvv84
04-23-2010, 06:46 PM
i feel like this is where thompson will shock everyone and pick someone out of the blue kind of deal. not someone we expect

More like trade back.

Cowboys trade up, my guess is for either Campbell or Brown.

Packystan
04-23-2010, 06:48 PM
I just went from being happy with the draft thus far, to overjoyed. Either one would make me a very happy man.

Packystan
04-23-2010, 06:49 PM
And don't forget Veldheer.

Wow, the Steelers take another pass rushing OLB to go with Harrison and Woodley, Jason All Worilds.

Patriots, Bengals, Eagles then us. Eagles don't need another LBer.
Patriots do I think.

Kindle gone. Misi gone. Worilds gone. Who's the next best pass rushing OLB? Everson Griffen in a hope that he can play OLB?

What about Eric Norwood?

cvv84
I was wrong, Shefter is reporting they will take a LB.

cuzifelt1ikeit
More like trade back.

Cowboys trade up, my guess is for either Campbell or Brown.

id be happy with a trade down. id prefer that to campbell or brown.

umphrey
Cowboys are gonna screw us I know it I hate them so much

GB12
04-23-2010, 06:50 PM
Brown and Campbell are sitting in our laps! I am so excited right now, but will be crushed once we pass on both.

Packystan
04-23-2010, 06:50 PM
Well so much for that unlikely scenario... :)

umphrey
04-23-2010, 06:51 PM
Meh, nevermind, would have been disappointed with Shaun Lee

They are hinting at a neck injury for Charles Brown

cvv84
04-23-2010, 06:51 PM
Hmmm a commercial when the Packers are on the clock? Some things never change...

cvv84
04-23-2010, 06:52 PM
Brown and Campbell are sitting in our laps! I am so excited right now, but will be crushed once we pass on both.

Same here. OTs don't come around every year and its a huge need for us.

jackalope
04-23-2010, 06:52 PM
Charles Brown would be awesome, but I'm not expecting it.

GB12
04-23-2010, 06:54 PM

cvv84
Wow, crushed my spirit there.

Packystan
Why Ted? fml

umphrey
God damnit. God. Damnit.

drowe
04-23-2010, 06:55 PM
to this, i say...meh.

cvv84
04-23-2010, 06:56 PM
Looks like a future replacement for Jolly or Jenkins. But still, passing on an OT just amazes me.

Packystan
04-23-2010, 06:57 PM
This may be worse than Harrell. I'm having a hard time stomaching this pick.

umphrey
04-23-2010, 06:58 PM
Passing on some very good prospects for a poor value pick at a position we really, really don't need.

Jim Jim
04-23-2010, 06:58 PM
I never thought TT would pass up Golden Tate, Charles Brown or Ricky Sapp in the second.

cuzifelt1ikeit
04-23-2010, 06:59 PM
i kind of saw that one coming. kind of sucks because i was hoping wed take clifton geathers or corey wooten instead as a DE prospect

BloodBrother
04-23-2010, 07:00 PM
Looks like a future replacement for Jolly or Jenkins. But still, passing on an OT just amazes me.

I'd say Jolly, considering his legal issues

surprising pick, but Dline depth is never a bad thing. Thompson will take guys he wants when he wants them...but he did leave some pretty good names out there at other more important positions. Oh well

Mr.Regular
04-23-2010, 07:01 PM
ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

umphrey
Why coudn't we have at reached for a corner or take a luxury pick like OT or WR or taken the top safety. How is this guy going to make our team better? We already have 4 starters on a 3 man DL.

GB12
I actually like Neal a lot as a 3-4 end prospect, but not over Campbell and Brown, and I thought he'd be a late third.

umphrey
04-23-2010, 07:03 PM
I actually like Neal a lot as a 3-4 end prospect, but not over Campbell and Brown, and I thought he'd be a late third.

I agree but I don't see him improving this team at all next year and at best marginally better for the future.

cvv84
04-23-2010, 07:04 PM
I'd say Jolly, considering his legal issues

surprising pick, but Dline depth is never a bad thing. Thompson will take guys he wants when he wants them...but he did leave some pretty good names out there at other more important positions. Oh well

I feel that we could have gotten DL depth later in the draft. This is the 2nd round and its still a premium spot. I'm going to be watch Charles Brown and Bruce Campbell's careers closely now because I feel like we made a mistake here.

Neal could turn out to be a good player but when you're biggest weakness is along the offensive line and you pass on a guy who many projected as your pick in the 1st round I kind of have to shake my head.

I would've rather traded down instead of taking Neal in the 2nd.

umphrey
04-23-2010, 07:10 PM
I'm not overly upset we didn't draft 2 tackles in a row but I am overly upset we passed on Brandon Ghee and Morgan Burnett and Joe McKnight and Golden Tate for a guy who will be lucky to be 5th on the DL depth chart.

TitleTown088
04-23-2010, 07:14 PM
Can't say I expected that one. Not too familiar with him.

jackalope
04-23-2010, 07:14 PM
There's enough cornerback depth that I'm comfortable waiting until the third. Definitely not my favorite pick, but I can live with it.

Packystan
04-23-2010, 07:16 PM
I just dont get how Ted goes with Neal as our first defensive player, and he doesn't play corner, olb, or safety.. smh..

cvv84
04-23-2010, 07:20 PM
I just dont get how Ted goes with Neal as our first defensive player, and he doesn't play corner, olb, or safety.. smh..

Futures pick. I don't know much about Neal either but I do like his athleticism, long arms, and big hands. Time will tell and to be fair, how many people were saying Nick Collins???? Greg Jennings???? when they were drafted in the 2nd round.

GB12
04-23-2010, 07:31 PM
Brown finally goes off the board.

BloodBrother
04-23-2010, 07:33 PM
Futures pick. I don't know much about Neal either but I do like his athleticism, long arms, and big hands. Time will tell and to be fair, how many people were saying Nick Collins???? Greg Jennings???? when they were drafted in the 2nd round.

Yup. With Jenkins and Jolly being UFA's after this year, I understand the pick. Seems to have the size and strength for a good 3-4 DE. Never bad to have depth on the DL, a place where you really only had 4 guys. I guess time will tell

I would have went a different route, but a good 3-4 DE was going to be a need sooner or later with this team, and they might have shored that up with this pick

Wonder if they trade back UP into the 2nd now

TitleTown088
04-23-2010, 07:33 PM
Because TT doesn't draft only based on position.

TitleTown088
04-23-2010, 07:34 PM
Wonder if they trade back UP into the 2nd now

That would be pretty difficult considering the 2nd round is over now. ;)

GB12
04-23-2010, 07:37 PM
Because TT doesn't draft only based on position.

I don't buy that Neal was the best player available if that's what you're saying. In general opinion or even in Thompson's mind.

TitleTown088
04-23-2010, 07:38 PM
I don't buy that Neal was the best player available if that's what you're saying. In general or even in Thompson's mind.

Perhaps not the BPA at any position, but apparently higher than the CBs, S, and OLBs on the board.

GB12
04-23-2010, 07:42 PM
I guess I can see that. I wouldn't have taken tackle out of that mix despite taking Bulaga though.

cvv84
04-23-2010, 07:51 PM
Pack on the clock!

JF4
04-23-2010, 07:51 PM
Packers on the clock!

BloodBrother
04-23-2010, 07:52 PM
Well, there is the trade up, just early 3rd. Lets see who they want here!

cvv84
04-23-2010, 07:54 PM
We traded our 3rd and 4th rounder for Morgan Burnett

GB12
04-23-2010, 07:55 PM
Burnett, not bad. He fits our defense pretty well.

umphrey
Morgan Burnett sweet sweet redemption! Not looking into what we gave up for him yet but he's a player I really wanted.

TitleTown088
Like the pick and pretty good value on the trade up.

drowe
04-23-2010, 07:56 PM
like it. a lot! nice move!

cvv84
04-23-2010, 07:56 PM
Burnett, not bad. He fits our defense pretty well.

Another ball hawk and center-fielder type safety. Loving this pick.

Morgan Burnett sweet sweet redemption! Not looking into what we gave up for him yet but he's a player I really wanted.

Our 3rd and 4th round picks.

BloodBrother
04-23-2010, 07:59 PM
Love this pick a lot

surprised they still haven't gone after another OLB yet

umphrey
04-23-2010, 08:00 PM
Too bad we don't pick again til the 5th. I wanted a CB in rounds 2-4 and a OLB in rounds 3-5. If we didn't pick Neal we would have been able to do that easily. Love the Burnett pick though.

RyanBraun8
04-23-2010, 08:08 PM
YES!!! Morgan Burnett!!! I have said since January after Earl Thomas he is the second best, most complete S. Can play FS or SS, hits hard, and has sensational ball skills. I was pissed when we passed on him for Neil but TT made it happen and no matter what happens the rest of the way I am happy

TitleTown088
04-23-2010, 08:09 PM
Love this pick a lot

surprised they still haven't gone after another OLB yet

Shofeild in the fizith.

GB12
04-23-2010, 08:10 PM
YES!!! Morgan Burnett!!! I have said since January after Earl Thomas he is the second best, most complete S. Can play FS or SS, hits hard, and has sensational ball skills. I was pissed when we passed on him for Neil but TT made it happen and no matter what happens the rest of the way I am happy

Bulaga alone made this draft a win.

RyanBraun8
04-23-2010, 08:14 PM
Bulaga alone made this draft a win.

He made it a good draft, Morgan makes it a great draft....but thats just for me because like I said Burnett is one of my favorite players to watch and I thought we'd never get him. Now we have a guy who actually can sub for Collins and Bigby, maybe some Dime or Nickle if need be. He can do it all

J-Mike88
04-23-2010, 08:20 PM
Maybe the regime has a lot of faith in Brad Jones, or thinks Obiozor has a chance to blossom. I liked getting Cyril last year.

Still, the pick of Neal... that high.... like all your comments, I find that one highly disturbing for a premium pick like #56. We have Jenkins and Raji playing DE now, with Jolly and last year's nice pick Jarius Wynn. That's 5 already, and they still have hope for #16 pick Justin Harrell. And this is a 3-4 where you really only suit up 5 guys. Come on.

And Neal's position is not nearly that important in the overall grand scheme of things to the defense. Guys like him are a dime a dozen, which is why Scouts Inc has him graded in the 50's.

BloodBrother
04-23-2010, 08:25 PM
Right after the Pack took Burnett we saw 2 more Safeties get nabbed up immediately thereafter. Wonder if they anticipated a little run there and that is why they traded up to make sure they got their guy

GB12
Maybe the regime has a lot of faith in Brad Jones, or thinks Obiozor has a chance to blossom. I liked getting Cyril last year.

Still, the pick of Neal... that high.... like all your comments, I find that one highly disturbing for a premium pick like #56. We have Jenkins and Raji playing DE now, with Jolly and last year's nice pick Jarius Wynn. That's 5 already, and they still have hope for #16 pick Justin Harrell. And this is a 3-4 where you really only suit up 5 guys. Come on.

And Neal's position is not nearly that important in the overall grand scheme of things to the defense. Guys like him are a dime a dozen, which is why Scouts Inc has him graded in the 50's.
That pick probably sealed the door on Harrell. Jenkins, Pickett, Jolly, Raji, and Neal are all locks to make the roster and Wynn was looking pretty good at the end of last season. That's 6 DL already, which is usually the number for 3-4 teams to keep. 7 lineman isn't out of the question, but that 7th guy has to be worth keeping if you're going to do that. Harrell has to be very impressive this preseason or he's getting cut.

cvv84

I tend to disagree with that statement. The defensive line is what frees up the LBs to make plays. If Neal is quick off the snap like his scouting report says then he should be able to get to the OT faster and keep him off our OLBs. Maybe he'll be able to provide more of a pass rush for us too seeing he ran a pretty descent time for a Dlineman. I would've preferred an OT but I'm not going to write Neal off yet seeing he hasn't even put on a Packers uniform yet.

cvv84
04-23-2010, 08:26 PM
Right after the Pack took Burnett we saw 2 more Safeties get nabbed up immediately thereafter. Wonder if they anticipated a little run there and that is why they traded up to make sure they got their guy

According to TT:

Did you think Bears might take Burnett?

"I didn't even know they were picking."

:D

J-Mike88
04-23-2010, 08:31 PM
NFL.com Report on Morgan Burnett:

Burnett has been extremely productive for the Yellow Jackets over the past two seasons. He is very active in both run support as well as defending the pass but also misses too many opportunities due to lack of effort, angles and proper tackling techniques. B

urnett has good size and athleticism for the safety position which makes him effective in combination man and zone coverage’s. He is an instinctive player but takes too many chances which make him vulnerable to big plays at times. Burnett can bend to shed and ward off blockers but again is inconsistent in this area. His ball skills are good and show the ability to make plays in traffic.

Burnett is a solid safety prospect that has some inconsistencies in his play that may concern some clubs in this year’s draft.

Here's what Scott had to say about Burnett, and he had him ranked 4th of safeties, behind the big 3.

Strengths:
Terrific height and bulk --- Solid athlete --- Reads and reacts quickly and closes in a hurry --- Excellent hands and ball skills --- Physical --- A reliable tackler with some pop --- Aggressive --- Does a fantastic job in run support --- Good Strength --- Hard Worker --- Leader --- Productive.

Weaknesses:
A bit stiff and hips aren't real fluid --- Not overly fast or explosive --- Will gamble and take chances --- Doesn't change directions well --- Trouble matching up in man coverage -- Questionable instincts and awareness.

Notes:
Was a two-year starter for the Yellow Jackets --- Named 2nd Team All-ACC in 2008 and 2009 --- Father, Cap Sr., was a wide receiver at Memphis and Arkansas-Pine Bluff --- Brother, Cap Jr., played safety and linebacker for Georgia from 1998-2002 --- Elected a captain by his teammates --- Ranks second in Rambling Wreck history in career interceptions --- Also offers a lot of special teams potential --- Solid all-around player and ballhawk with a nice mix of physical tools and intangibles who should be able to contend for a starting job in the NFL.

J-Mike88
04-23-2010, 08:33 PM
Mike Neal, NFL.com:

Neal is an average sized interior lineman that will need to play a three technique in a 4-3 defensive scheme. Neal is a tough hard-nosed lineman that gives consistent effort throughout the game. He doesn’t have elite size and is inconsistent to anchor versus double teams but can hold the point when he plays with good pad level. Neal has active hands and does a nice job to shed blockers.

He is active in the tackle box showing good lateral quickness and agility but doesn’t have great range to the sideline. He can power rush effectively but needs to expand his moves and counters to contribute consistently at the next level. Neal is a good football player that has some limitations but should contribute in his rookie season and possibly work into a starting role.

Here's Scott's bio on Neal, and he had him as a mid-rounder.
http://www.draftcountdown.com/ScoutingReports/DT/Mike-Neal.php

Strengths:
Good size with a rocked up physique --- Terrific Athleticism --- Quick and Fast --- Great agility and balance --- Shows some explosiveness and has a burst --- Excellent strength --- Can penetrate and make plays in the backfield --- An above average pass rusher --- Good mobility and range --- Solid instincts and awareness --- Tough --- A Powerful Tackler.

Weaknesses:
Motor runs hot and cold --- Isn't stout at the point of attack --- Does not always use proper leverage --- Struggles to get off blocks --- Must use hands better --- Stamina's been an issue --- Durability is a concern.

Notes:
Missed time with a turf toe injury in 2006, which eventually needed surgery --- Went under the knife to repair a left shoulder (labrum) injury after the 2007 season --- Might fit best as a three-technique in a 4-3 scheme --- Arguably just as talented as former teammate Alex Magee, who was a 3rd Round pick of the Kansas City Chiefs in the 2009 NFL Draft

Whistler6
04-23-2010, 08:56 PM

Morgan Burnett, 6'1'' 4.45-ish 40. According to scouts: Great in zone coverage, and is perfect to play safety OR nickel CB. Anything that pushes Bush further down the depth chart.

If it makes Bigby feel a little nervous, GOOD.

The DT is 6'4'' 310 lbs, already listed as a 3-4 DE for Green Bay. He can bench 510, ran a 4.95. Can never have enough young, fiery depth on
D-line. Seems like it might have been a reach, but after the interview, there is no doubt about his character and drive.

I'm usually ready to praise or bash TT immediately, but this year I have fully pledged my trust in his reasons and decisions. Plus, not drafting a LB kind of shows the confidence Green Bay has in Brad Jones doesn't it? I'm a happy camper.

Whistler6
04-23-2010, 08:59 PM
Shofeild in the fizith.

T'would only be icing on the cake. Hey TT seems to have taken a liking to Big Ten players, so there is hope!

RyanBraun8
04-23-2010, 09:03 PM
I have to agree with CVV, in the grand scheme of things the DL is arguably the MOST important part of the defense. If they struggle kiss you season goodbye. I don't care if you have the most terrific LB's and DB's in the history of football your screwed. If they don't do their job the LB's can't do theirs forcing the DB's to struggle with theirs. Not any average Joe can come in and get the job done. Why you think the Cards are loading up this draft? It is extremely important.

With that said, we didn't need to pick Neil quit that high(imo). I would have loved L. Joesph if we was still on the board and thought that would have been a great pick but to be honest I never even looked or heard anyone talk about Neil. I personally can't rate or judge where he got picked

J-Mike88
04-23-2010, 09:03 PM
at Pick #95 now, and Everson Griffen, Bruce Campbell, and Brandon Ghee are all still on the board.
Amazing.

Jonathon Dwyer, Marty Gilyard, Ricky Sapp, Perrish Coz, Dominique Franks, Erik Norwood, Jjason Fox.... too.

J-Mike88
04-23-2010, 09:06 PM
I have to agree with CVV, in the grand scheme of things the DL is arguably the MOST important part of the defense. If they struggle kiss you season goodbye. I don't care if you have the most terrific LB's and DB's in the history of football your screwed. If they don't do their job...
But this is what Scott said about Neal:
Isn't stout at the point of attack --- Does not always use proper leverage --- Struggles to get off blocks

And remember this was our 2nd round pick. Not a 4th or 5th round flyer.
And we already have 2 starting DE's who are good-great, plus backups Jolly, Wynn, and Harrell. Most 3-4's dress 5 DL.

This from Sports Illustrated:
Biography: Two-year starter who finished his senior season with 35/11.5/5.5 after 33/10/5.5 as a junior.

Positives: Explosive one gap defensive tackle that makes plays in every direction of the field. Possesses good first step quickness, bends his knees and plays with leverage. Quickly changes direction, fluid out to the flanks and shows a good degree of explosion in his overall game. Plays heads-up football.

Negatives: Easily turned from the point of attack by a single blocker. Average skills against the run.

Analysis: Neal is a solid athlete who makes a large amount of plays behind the line of scrimmage in any direction of the field. He offers ability in a one-gap system potentially as a three-technique lineman.

Projection: 4th

Read More: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/2010/draft/players/17961.html#ixzz0lynQZNQT
Get a free NFL Team Jacket and Tee with SI Subscription

Whistler6
04-23-2010, 09:10 PM
Isn't stout at the point of attack --- Does not always use proper leverage --- Struggles to get off blocks

And we already have 2 starting DE's who are good-great, plus backups Jolly, Wynn, and Harrell. Most 3-4's dress 5 DL.

Scott also had the still available Bruce Campbell going 8th overall to the Raiders. So, there is the chance that he is wrong...........

cvv84
04-23-2010, 09:10 PM

You can find positives and negatives on any prospect and not too mention people are going to vary on their opinions. Jolly/Jenkins are free agents after 2010 and both have their issues (Jolly/legal, Jenkins/injury) so either way we we're going to draft a Dlineman.

How much is it going to take to re-sign Jenkins and Jolly? We're covering our bases and keeping our options open.

TitleTown088
04-23-2010, 09:32 PM
Mike Neal's 10 yard split was crazy fast. For example he was faster than Everette Brown, KGB and Jerome Murphy. That kid should be able to come off the ball like a mofo at 295.

J-Mike88
04-23-2010, 09:34 PM
How much is it going to take to re-sign Jenkins and Jolly? We're covering our bases and keeping our options open.
I understand that but:
Those contract issues are next year, not this year.
We still have 2nd year prospect Jarius Wynn.
TT'd precious Justin Harrell is still being given a chance.
And this guy was a 4th-5th round grade and TT used the 2nd rounder on him.
Keeping options open is not what you should do with the 2nd round pick of a guy who would have been there a round or two later.

Why not take Burnett in round 2 and Neal in round 3?
Then we'd still have our 4th round pick.

And if someone else reached on Neal in round 3, so be it.

umphrey
04-23-2010, 09:37 PM
I think I should hold judgement on that pick until I see him play. I am a little disappointed we didn't get a corner at all, but not so much because I love Burnett as a prospect, he can provide the same depth in the secondary that a corner would have, and I think there is a good chance he starts over Bigby at some point this year.

I have no idea why you think Obiozer can be anything for us. I'd give him a less than 5% chance of starting a game for us, ever. Brad Jones did very well for a rookie and should improve in his second year, everyone knew he needed to put on weight. Yes I want to add a prospect there but only in the 1st/2nd if it's a great fit and later on get depth or an underachiever with physical tools. Starting Brad Jones isn't the end of the world, far far from it. How many 3-4 teams have 2 great OLBs anyway? They mostly get pressure from confusing blitz packages. Not to say I wouldn't love a guy to take double teams off Clay, it's just not a huge need.

J-Mike88
04-23-2010, 09:38 PM
Mike Neal's 10 yard split was crazy fast. For example he was faster than Everette Brown, KGB and Jerome Murphy. That kid should be able to come off the ball like a mofo at 295.
That sounds good. If he can pressure the passer and make f***ing QBs like Favre have to hurry throws or better yet, sack them, then I will buy myself a Mike Neal jersey.
DE's in this system don't often get many sacks, Richard Seymour being the best, but it sure would help against QBs who got comfy in the pocket against us last year.

I want QBs like Favre hit from all angles, early and often.
We know that's the way to stop Favre.
And the Saints did it to him and Warner, and then Manning.
If Neal sacks Favre on Oct 24th, I will buy a round for all :)

HAMMER FARVE

J-Mike88
04-23-2010, 09:50 PM
I'm trying to get myself to believe that Morgan Burnett will solve all our pass defense ills.
These video highlights help a little bit. Check em out.
He reminds me a bit of Reggie Nelson from a few years ago out of FL.
Maybe it's the dreads and the #1.

http://bleacherreport.com/tb/b3PX9

jackalope
04-23-2010, 10:15 PM
Love the Burnett pick. I actually wanted to see us address safety before OLB. If Atari wins the starting job at SS over Burnett this year, he should still make an impact as a rookie and provide us much needed depth at corner. A little disappointed we didn't get a corner today, so I'm hoping Akwasi or Ghee somehow drops to the fifth.

PackerLegend
04-23-2010, 10:17 PM
TT has made some wtf picks during his time but I think we should have all learned to wait and hold judgement because some of them turn out to be very good players.. and some suck which is expected but overall id say his track record is pretty good.

PossibleCabbage
04-23-2010, 10:33 PM
TT has made some wtf picks during his time but I think we should have all learned to wait and hold judgement because some of them turn out to be very good players.. and some suck which is expected but overall id say his track record is pretty good.

This is a good take.

To protect yourself against "WTF disappointment" in the future keep in mind that Ted loves the following things in a prospect (in no particular order):
1) Size
2) Athleticism
3) Leadership
4) Work Ethic

If there's ever a big guy who's a good athlete and a team captain who had his own key to the weight room, basically expect the Packers to take him, oftentimes earlier than anybody else thinks he should be taken. You can prepare yourself in advance by keying on these guys, or you should just anticipate the semi-annual "WTFDL" pick. (It's also worth focusing on Shrine Game and Senior Bowl standouts, Ted likes those a lot too.)

Heck, for all I know Mike Neal is going to be a hell of a pick and we're all going to love him to death. I don't know that much about the guy. He just seems to have everything the Packers look for in a prospect.

RyanBraun8
04-23-2010, 11:02 PM
From the sound of Neil he fits the system pefect and his one of the boom or bust guys. You have this big guy, he is strong and powerful,extremely quick, and plays strong at the point of attack and at the end of the day could turn out awesome or fall on his face. Talent is there and hopefully it works out.

The easy question I have to ask is; if we would have drafted Jared Odrick would you have been upset? Many of us really liked him, thought he'd be a great pick and perfect for a 3-4 DE. If you wouldn't have been mad with that pick that means you don't mind us picking a 3-4 DE and should give him a chance first. Really none of us have seen much of him. If you would have hated picking Odrick then yeah, no matter what you prob wouldn't like this pick to much.

Wynn is unproven, Talley is unproven, Harrell is unproven and has never been healthy.....So really we have a 4 man rotation that we know that can do the job and count on. If you hate the thought of DL depth just remember the 6-10 season when TT though he had enough and the DL cost them the season. This guy sounds like he plays simular to Tyson Alualu (from size and quickness and the things I have read) I have no problem with that.

This explains a bunch about the pick and I am starting to feel good about him the more I read.
http://packers.com/news/stories/2010/04/23/1/

GB12
04-23-2010, 11:35 PM
I am really curious now about who we would have picked had Bulaga not been there for us. It obviously wouldn't have been Brown or Campbell. Maybe Odrick? McCourty? Best?

PossibleCabbage
04-24-2010, 12:20 AM
I am really curious now about who we would have picked had Bulaga not been there for us. It obviously wouldn't have been Brown or Campbell. Maybe Odrick? McCourty? Best?

Pretty sure it would have been Jerry Hughes if Bulaga wasn't there.

BloodBrother
04-24-2010, 04:48 AM
I think the Neal pick just means that one of JEnkins/Jolly will not be back after this year. Packers gotta fork over cash for them, but do you think they will fork over cash to keep both? I think this move means that we'll see Raji focusing solely on NT and will rotate with Pickett there and I'm willing to bet that the Pack expect Neal to help split snaps with Jolly/Jenkins to help keep them fresh as well. I just hope the kid can contribute this year because the sounds of a fresh Dline like this really gets me excited

With all that said, thhought it was a reach, but I'll withold judgement and defer to TT for now. Dline coach Trgovac was raving about the guy, very high praise.

Safeties coach Perry was also giddy about them getting Burnett. Really sounds like the Packers got the players they wanted

Day 3 should be good. Lots of quality talent left still.

J-Mike88
04-24-2010, 08:27 AM
This explains a bunch about the pick and I am starting to feel good about him the more I read.
http://packers.com/news/stories/2010/04/23/1/
I too am trying to get on board with the decision to basically trade away the 4th round pick in order to get Burnett and Neal.... I'm reading all I can to convince me Neal will be a + difference-maker for us.

I just hope (I don't expect it) that TT selects an OLB who knows how to sack QBs, and finds a CB who A) Can cover and B) Can return kicks/punts.

You guys remember in 2004-2005 when Lovie Smith took over the Bears? His goal, his focus was to dethrone and beat the Packers. Well he mad some moves towards that goal, and he did it, and they made it to the Super Bowl in 2006.

Rex Ryan took over the Jets last year with a rookie QB. He got them to the AFC Title game, but was overmatched by Peyton manning and the Colts.

So in the off-season here, he has added a CB who can cover Colts receivers in Antonio Cromartie (as a Charger, he tormented Manning). He added a pass rusher who still has the ability to get to Manning.
He also added a receiver who has had big time success in Santonio Holmes, and for added good measure, a nice 3rd down back in LaDanian Tomlinson.

Then he drafted Kyle Wilson so now the Jets have 3 very good cover-corners to match up against the Colts receivers, and they have added some pass rush in Jason Taylor.

From Vic Carucci: " The Jets' loaded defense gets some more star power with addition of Kyle Wilson. The Boise State standout was viewed as the top corner on some boards, and his skills make him an exceptional nickel corner. Additionally, he possesses the requisite grit and toughness that is demanded by the Jets' coaching staff. For a team that is loaded on defense, the landing of Wilson is a case of the rich getting richer."

I just want to make sure the moves Ted Thompson is making is going to give us a better chance of beating the f***** a** Vikings, which means we need to actually get to and demolish Farve, and need to actually have CB's and S's who can cover Harvin and Berrian and Sidney Rice and Shiancoe.

A lot can happen today in the draft, although we're on the sideline until round 5. And a lot can still happen after the draft via trades and signing FA's. But we absolutely cannot get to that next level without significantly improving both levels of pass defense. Maybe Brad Jones is able to put on 20 pounds of muscle and with his quickness, is able to develop into a beast off the left edge. He could. I was raving about him when we took him in the 7th round last year.

If we get swept by the Vikings again this year, it's all over for me. I want to beat them so badly, I want their guys to leave the field bloody and broken, like we always have against them (Blackmon last year, Barnett the year before). I want Favre and Jared Allen to go down and hard, and out.

princefielder28
04-24-2010, 08:38 AM
I was gone all day yesterday, as I was in Milwaukee, but I have to say when I got the texts of who the Packers' pick were, I wasn't overly happy above either, especially the Neal one. Neal might become a solid end for us, but at premium pick like this second rounder we take a backup and potential replacement for Cullen Jenkins. As for Morgan Burnett, I love that we addressed out need at safety, but of all the top safeties I think he has the lowest floor but his ceiling is one of the higher ones as well. The two picks are based on potential big time, and there's a chance we have two really good football players or we have two players who will be average at best.

J-Mike88
04-24-2010, 08:47 AM
In case someone here didn't see Scott's list, here are his Top 32 Available as we start Day 3 of the Draft. I'd say cross em all off our list before we pick late in round 5. But you never know.

Best Available - Day Three

1. Everson Griffen, DE, Southern Cal
2. Bruce Campbell, OT, Maryland
3. Corey Wootton, DE, Northwestern
4. Ricky Sapp, OLB, Clemson
5. Mardy Gilyard, WR, Cincinnati
6. Eric Norwood, OLB, South Carolina
7. A. Owusu-Ansah, CB, Indiana (PA)
8. Aaron Hernandez, TE, Florida
9. Joe McKnight, RB, Southern Cal
10. Jamar Chaney, ILB, Mississippi State
*11. Perrish Cox, CB, Oklahoma State
12. Dennis Pitta, TE, Brigham Young
13. Cam Thomas, DT, North Carolina
14. Riley Cooper, WR, Florida
15. Dorin Dickerson, TE, Pittsburgh
*16. Dominique Franks, CB, Oklahoma
17. Selvish Capers, OT, West Virginia
18. Carlton Mitchell, WR, South Florida
19. Al Woods, DT, Louisiana State
20. Reshad Jones, S, Georgia
21. Arthur Jones, DT, Syracuse
22. Greg Hardy, DE, Ole Miss
*23. Jacoby Ford, WR, Clemson
24. Geno Atkins, DT, Georgia
*25. Thaddeus Gibson, OLB, Ohio State
26. Tony Pike, QB, Cincinnati
27. T. Washington, OT, Abilene Christian
28. Jonathan Dwyer, RB, Georgia Tech
29. Marcus Easley, WR, Connecticut
30. C.J. Wilson, DE, East Carolina
*31. Jason Fox, OT, Miami (FL)
32. Mike Williams, WR, Syracuse

I still want Trindon Holliday or Jacoby Ford to add some return spark to the team. Used to love Thrill Blackmon but I don't expect he has it anymore after his latest injury.

Holliday, Zoltan Mesko.... they could help our special teams a bit.
Brandon Banks or LeRoy Vann super late perhaps?

J-Mike88
04-24-2010, 08:49 AM
I was gone all day yesterday, as I was in Milwaukee, but I have to say when I got the texts of who the Packers' pick were, I wasn't overly happy above either, especially the Neal one.
Exactly the same for me. I would love to hear your actual, verbatim word-for-word quote upon recieving that text!!!!
Be honest. :) How many 4-letter words came out of your mouth? Or popped into your head??

jackalope
04-24-2010, 10:51 AM
Akwasi and Schofield go off the board. :(

BloodBrother
04-24-2010, 11:24 AM
Sapp is gone to

Oakland gets Campbell 100 picks later than some projected them to. It's incredible, but the Raiders are actually having a great draft

cvv84
04-24-2010, 11:26 AM
Sapp is gone to

Oakland gets Campbell 100 picks later than some projected them to. It's incredible, but the Raiders are actually having a great draft

Oakland has really drafted well in rounds 2-7 if you ask me. They tend to find alot of later round gems and its really hard to blame them for taking Darren McFadden and Russell. Everyone loved the picks at the time and if Russell didn't go number one he was probably going to go number 2.

princefielder28
04-24-2010, 11:29 AM
we're not going to get a good corner in this draft :(

cvv84
04-24-2010, 11:31 AM
Ireland admitted the Dolphins were interested in Georgia Tech strong safety Morgan Burnett but the Packers beat him to it at 71, so Miami was quite content to grab the 6-5, 328-pound Jerry to bolster the offensive line.

Thompson beat the Dolphins and Bears to the punch. Hopefully he works out well for us.

jackalope
04-24-2010, 11:33 AM
Thompson beat the Dolphins and Bears to the punch. Hopefully he works out well for us.

Yeah, I liked the move to secure Burnett, but not having a fourth round pick really hurt us in getting a corner.

cvv84
04-24-2010, 11:35 AM
Yeah, I liked the move to secure Burnett, but not having a fourth round pick really hurt us in getting a corner.

Meh, you can find players everywhere in the draft. Just because we didn't pick in round 4 doesn't mean we won't find someone in round 5 or 6.

jackalope
04-24-2010, 11:40 AM
Meh, you can find players everywhere in the draft. Just because we didn't pick in round 4 doesn't mean we won't find someone in round 5 or 6.

We could absolutely still add a good corner, but I think six corners have gone off the board since our pick at 122.

princefielder28
04-24-2010, 11:41 AM
I'd like to see Arthur Moats with our pick coming up

jackalope
04-24-2010, 11:43 AM
No idea what we'll do with this pick. I'd be happy with a CB, OLB, RB, WR or QB.

cvv84
04-24-2010, 11:48 AM
We could absolutely still add a good corner, but I think six corners have gone off the board since our pick at 122.

And? Still doesn't mean you can't find someone. Al Harris was a 6th round pick. Cortland Finnegan was a 7th round pick.

Whistler6
04-24-2010, 11:49 AM
Leon Washington to the Seahawks for a 5th? I would've given both Green Bay's picks this round for him. It's amazing the talent that has swapped teams for only a 5th.

L. Washington, S. Holmes, T. Ginn, Q. Groves, K. Morrison, Rob Sims, Adam Carriker, Corey Williams

princefielder28
04-24-2010, 11:50 AM
I think Carlton Mitchell would be an intriguing choice

cvv84
04-24-2010, 11:52 AM

My guess would be Kyle Wilson.

cvv84
04-24-2010, 12:02 PM
Packers take TE Andrew Quarless from Penn State @ 154.

princefielder28
04-24-2010, 12:04 PM
Stupid! Quarless is gonna work his way out of the league

BloodBrother
04-24-2010, 12:09 PM
looks like the Pack have seen enough from stone hands Lee at TE

cvv84
04-24-2010, 12:14 PM

I expected them to take a TE but I expected it to be more of a blocking TE.

BloodBrother
04-24-2010, 12:18 PM
My thoughts to

cvv84
04-24-2010, 12:18 PM
I'd like to take punter Matt Dodge here with our comp pick.

GB12
04-24-2010, 12:28 PM
I expected them to take a TE but I expected it to be more of a blocking TE.

Why would you have expected that? It's been made quite clear over the past couple years that McCarthy doesn't give a damn if his tight ends can block, he'd rather have the receiving threat.

drowe
04-24-2010, 12:28 PM
So, I guess the Packers like the Big 10.

Keep it up here and take Donovan Warren.

cvv84
04-24-2010, 12:30 PM
Why would you have expected that? It's been made quite clear over the past couple years that McCarthy doesn't give a damn if his tight ends can block, he'd rather have the receiving threat.

Because we already have Finley who's our receiving TE. I expected more of a short/intermediate TE who's more of a blocker in 2 TE sets.

jackalope
04-24-2010, 12:31 PM
So, I guess the Packers like the Big 10.

Keep it up here and take Donovan Warren.

Yeah, I've been thinking Warren. The guys stock took a nose dive from when he was a second round guy, but getting him in the fifth or sixth would be nice.

cvv84
04-24-2010, 12:37 PM
Here we go! Pack take OG Marshall Newhouse from TCU.

roughrider30
04-24-2010, 12:40 PM
First time I've been able to post here since the 1st round. I was just as confused as everyone with the Neal pick, but the more I read on him the more I like the pick.

The Pack really do have a lot of question marks on the D line and Neal will add some depth immediately and IMO has the potential to be a good player on our line. While I agree TT reached for him in the 2nd, if this is a guy they wanted to get then I have no problem with them picking him a little early making sure that they do get him. It looks like from that article that Trgovac really likes him both for his strength and for his stamina. So, I guess this is just one of those picks where we wait and see.

I love love the Burnett pick. I liked him in the 2nd and the fact that TT traded up to get him shows that he is high on him as well. IMO Safety is just as big of as a need as CB. I think he can challenge Bigby for a spot right away, and can contribute to the team immediately. Definitely on board with this pick.

I was again confused with the Quarless pick. I really thought we would go with a better blocking TE if we were gonna grab one. I really liked what Kiper and McShay had to say about him. He's got very good size and speed and looks like if he can put everything together he can be another weapon for us. Kinda reminds me of the Finley pick.

Jim Jim
04-24-2010, 12:42 PM
I'm a little worried about putting Finely and Quarless together off the field.

KEEPINitREAL
04-24-2010, 12:42 PM
Apparently we aren’t going to address cb at all this year...lil disappointing

cvv84
04-24-2010, 12:43 PM
Here we go! Pack take OG Marshall Newhouse from TCU.

He sounds like a project.

Has a badly built, dumpy body, with narrow shoulders, fleshy midsection, stick legs.

Played some tackle in college though and was tied for the fasted 3 cone drill time.

KEEPINitREAL
04-24-2010, 12:45 PM
If we were gonna take a TE I would of rather seen a blocking TE like Brody Eldridge

TitleTown088
04-24-2010, 12:46 PM

Why? Finley may not be too smart, but he's not a trouble maker.

cvv84
04-24-2010, 12:47 PM

I'm not so worried about Finley. He's really matured from his rookie season plus he's married and has a kid. Quarless obviously has to prove himself. According to his post-selection interview he went to rehad for drinking and that pot was just in his residence where he lived with other people and he tested clean right after. Who knows though, still has to show he's changed.

Apparently we aren’t going to address cb at all this year...lil disappointing

I'm as worried about CB as I am about adding another pass rusher. If Jones can't keep up then teams will key to Matthews and we'll lose our pass rush all together.

cvv84
04-24-2010, 12:51 PM
I like this twitter exchange:

@jasonjwilde: Andrew Quarless, TE, Penn State is the pick at No. 154.

@JermichaelF88: Tightend?!?!! :(

@AaronRodgers12: @JermichaelF88 just remember who pulls the trigger on Sunday big fella haha

Gravedigger42
04-24-2010, 12:56 PM
I think the biggest mistake in this draft was giving up our 4th. TT could've picked Burrnett in the 2nd and it would've been a solid pick, Neal most likely would've been around when the Pack picked in the 3rd then they could've taken someone like Schoefield or Franks in the 4th.

So far I like the picks but I think TT could've got his guy without giving up a pick. A mistake in my opinion but still a fairly solid draft that addresses a couple needs and gives the Pack a couple more potential playmakers.

johbur
04-24-2010, 01:10 PM

Or maybe they're worried about how badly busted up Spencer Havner is from his alcohol induced accident.

Jermichael, Quarless and Lee is a solid three TEs, though I am not a fan of Quarless' work ethic and his progression in college. I don't like the pick, but it seems TT hedging this draft for the future rather than providing players for now. Not great value, IMO.
Bulaga = Great value, but he's a second stringer for possibly the next two years, but if he shows live legs and can pick up the offense, he could be coming in quite a bit at RT, particularly on power run plays.
Neal = Didn't like the pick, given Harrell is as durable as toilet paper in a rain storm, and that Jolly has legal troubles still on deck, GB could be down two DEs.
Burnett = Was a better value in the third than Neal in the second. This one actually puts roster pressure on Atari and the other stiffs at SS that haven't done anything. He could actually start without injury or mishap at the position.
Newhouse = WTF. Jamon Meredith was 10 times the selection of this kid. Maybe because they're going to more power sets they want their back-ups to be 320 pounds. This is a pick that looks headed to the practice squad. Jamon Meredith didn't make the club last year and he was three times the prospect of this kid. Again, given how terrible Barbre was, and that Clifton and Taush both have had injury concerns, a hedge pick. Terrible value IMO.

KEEPINitREAL
04-24-2010, 01:15 PM
personally besides bulaga and burnett i feel the pack had a pretty weak draft...reached on Neal and Quarless is a bit confuessin..hopefully im proven wrong

cvv84
04-24-2010, 01:15 PM
Or maybe they're worried about how badly busted up Spencer Havner is from his alcohol induced accident.

Jermichael, Quarless and Lee is a solid three TEs, though I am not a fan of Quarless' work ethic and his progression in college. I don't like the pick, but it seems TT hedging this draft for the future rather than providing players for now. Not great value, IMO.
Bulaga = Great value, but he's a second stringer for possibly the next two years, but if he shows live legs and can pick up the offense, he could be coming in quite a bit at RT, particularly on power run plays.
Neal = Didn't like the pick, given Harrell is as durable as toilet paper in a rain storm, and that Jolly has legal troubles still on deck, GB could be down two DEs.
Burnett = Was a better value in the third than Neal in the second. This one actually puts roster pressure on Atari and the other stiffs at SS that haven't done anything. He could actually start without injury or mishap at the position.
Newhouse = WTF. Jamon Meredith was 10 times the selection of this kid. Maybe because they're going to more power sets they want their back-ups to be 320 pounds. This is a pick that looks headed to the practice squad. Jamon Meredith didn't make the club last year and he was three times the prospect of this kid. Again, given how terrible Barbre was, and that Clifton and Taush both have had injury concerns, a hedge pick. Terrible value IMO.

Thats kind of my impression as well. I hope it doesn't come back to haunt us, as seeing the last time we started to compete we traded back and started to draft depth.

As far as Newhouse, he seems risky and needs development but he's your typical versitile Packers pick. If he can play LG/RT or be a descent backup I'll be happy. If he can control his weight I'm wondering if he could potentially be a center prospect as well.

BloodBrother
04-24-2010, 01:21 PM
TE Coach McAdoo said they had Quarless timed at a 4.58 40 at his pro day if I'm recalling correctly. There is some big playmaking ability here as long as he keeps his head on straight

a 2 TE set with him and Finley would be pretty beastly...not even mentioning the WR corps as deep as it is

Whistler6
04-24-2010, 01:25 PM
http://a3.twimg.com/profile_images/836305771/face_bigger.jpg (http://twitter.com/account/profile_image/JermichaelF88?hreflang=en)
JermichaelF88: Tightend?!?!! :(

http://a3.twimg.com/profile_images/823003283/get-attachment.aspx_bigger.jpeg (http://twitter.com/account/profile_image/AaronRodgers12?hreflang=en) AaronRodgers12: just remember who pulls the trigger on Sunday big fella haha

http://twitter.com/AaronRodgers12

johbur
04-24-2010, 01:31 PM
Mayock blogging due to losing his voice today.

Mike Mayock, NFL Network

154 -- Packers -- TE Andrew Quarless

We are at the point in the draft now where teams will begin to take chances on talent. Quarless is a gifted TE with size, speed and very good hands. He spent most of his career in Joe Paterno's dog house before breaking out his senior year with 41 receptions. Put the tape on against Michigan if you doubt his value as a verticle receiver. If he blocks better, and works harder, he's a starter in the NFL.

Hate the last line: IF he blocks better and works harder... Ug. Glad he's a vertical threat, and maybe he'll respond to the pro-game and having a job rather than fighting for JoPa.

ImBrotherCain
04-24-2010, 01:37 PM
We have a shot at Warren with our 6th i hope we take it... That would make me very happy

Whistler6
04-24-2010, 01:38 PM
In his radio interview just a bit ago with some Green Bay press, Quarless said he hasn't had a drink since the night of his DUI over 2 years ago. He went to college at age 17, so I chalk that up to being "young and stupid."

He also said immediately after it happened he went straight to Joe Paterno's house, sat down with him, and rededicated his life to the game of football. He said the thought of not being able to play the game he loves was something he could never imagine.

Not a need at all...But I guess TT had a reason for taking him. We'll see. You can't deny his measurables and talent. I'm still bummed they haven't drafted a LB or KR/PR specialist.

cvv84
04-24-2010, 01:39 PM
We have a shot at Warren with our 6th i hope we take it... That would make me very happy

We don't need a CB with a safties speed.

ImBrotherCain
04-24-2010, 01:40 PM
On the clock once more...

Edit:
--------------------------------
We don't need a CB with a safties speed.

I hope we have fun with Bush at nickle again then...

cvv84
04-24-2010, 01:42 PM
I hope we have fun with Bush at nickle again then...

Well if we suffer injuries to 3-4 CBs again then we'll talk. I didn't say don't take a CB, just don't take a CB that translates to safety in the NFL.

cvv84
04-24-2010, 01:43 PM
RB James Starks from Buffalo.

Boston
Did Scott just decide not to do scouting reports this year?

ImBrotherCain
Not really expecting that but being from Rochester, NY I'm psyched to have Starks
--------------------------------------
Well if we suffer injuries to 3-4 CBs again then we'll talk. I didn't say don't take a CB, just don't take a CB that translates to safety in the NFL.

Well it looks like TT is fine with CB and OLB that all of us thought we had weaknesses at.... Interesting

johbur
04-24-2010, 01:47 PM
RB in the 6th a good place to get one. I'm surprised this is the first non-BCS kid TT has drafted today. I'd love to see the Packers' draft board as outside of Bulaga and Burnett, these picks are a couple rounds ahead of where they are on the public boards. TT marches tot he beat of his own drummer. Still no CB...

cvv84
04-24-2010, 01:47 PM
Did Scott just decide not to do scouting reports this year?

I was wondering that too. Seems like he did guys who he thought were going in rounds 1-4 and said F-it to the rest.

cvv84
04-24-2010, 01:49 PM
RB in the 6th a good place to get one. I'm surprised this is the first non-BCS kid TT has drafted today. I'd love to see the Packers' draft board as outside of Bulaga and Burnett, these picks are a couple rounds ahead of where they are on the public boards. TT marches tot he beat of his own drummer. Still no CB...

Must be hoping that Underwood and Lee start showing something this year. He seems to overstock a position over a few years and hope guys develop, i.e. offensive line, wide receiver, and cornerback.

Mr.Regular
04-24-2010, 01:58 PM
I guess TT see's Underwood improving, and knows Harris, Lee and Blackmon are coming back. Plus Burnett can play a little corner. I'm too too sad about no corner.
But no OLB really surprises me. It's Brad Jones or bust. Kind of iffy.

Whistler6
04-24-2010, 01:59 PM
From Jason Wilde:

Starks missed all of last season with a torn labrum in his left shoulder. 1,333 yards rushing, 16 TDs in 12 games in '08.
_____

...Atleast it's not a knee or BACK issue.

cvv84
04-24-2010, 02:01 PM
I guess TT see's Underwood improving, and knows Harris, Lee and Blackmon are coming back. Plus Burnett can play a little corner. I'm too too sad about no corner.
But no OLB really surprises me. It's Brad Jones or bust. Kind of iffy.

Agreed. At this point I'd almost consider seeing what the Chargers want for Merriman. I like Jones alot but we have no fall back option which is a little concerning. Maybe we feel like Chillar can rush from the outside. Poppinga obviously can't and Jermey Thompson's career could be over already.

cvv84
04-24-2010, 03:11 PM
About to wrap up our 2010 draft here.

cvv84
04-24-2010, 03:15 PM
DE C.J. Wilson from East Carolina. Alot like the Jarius Wynn pick last year. Wilson is experienced as a starter and adds more depth along the Dline.

This pick just embodies the Packers entire draft: solid but not specatular

Mr.Regular
04-24-2010, 03:18 PM
DE C.J. Wilson from East Carolina. Alot like the Jarius Wynn pick last year. Wilson is experienced as a starter and adds more depth along the Dline.
Ugh. We don't need DLine depth. We needed secondary/linebacker depth...even an ILB since Hawk has a year left.

Im shocked we didn't take an OLB. CB? I somewhat understand, but wow we're putting a lot of faith in the guys we have. Our pass defense could kill us.

Whistler6
04-24-2010, 03:22 PM
Great production, and 4.80-4.90 40 speed is pretty spectacular for a 6'2'' 290 lb guy, but where does he fit? Maybe it's a luxury pick or just taking a flyer...But I'm confuseddddd.

Edit:

6-3, 284, 4.89. Four-year starter. Ultra productive. 160 career tackles, 45.5 RFL, 27 sacks.

http://twitter.com/Greg_A_Bedard

jackalope
04-24-2010, 03:24 PM
It sounds to me like Wilson is more of an OLB than a 3-4 end.

Whistler6
04-24-2010, 03:27 PM
It sounds to me like Wilson is more of an OLB than a 3-4 end.

How so? Maybe if he drops 30 lbs. If Aaron Kampman couldn't make the transition at his size, I doubt Wilson will be able to at 284 pounds.