PDA

View Full Version : SackSEER rates Jerry Hughes highest of all DEs

3pac
04-22-2010, 10:56 PM
http://www.footballoutsiders.com/nfl-draft/2010/introducing-sackseer

He may be the steal of the draft. He compares to Dwight Freeney, Robert Mathis, and Jared Allen. Sounds perfect to me.

MaxV
04-23-2010, 09:07 AM
I'm fine with this selection as long as he plays. If they drafted him for depth, then I don't like it.

I think we should use him as a OLB and as a DE, depending on situations.

killxswitch
04-23-2010, 01:43 PM
I'm fine with this selection as long as he plays. If they drafted him for depth, then I don't like it.

I think we should use him as a OLB and as a DE, depending on situations.

I LOVE this pick!! I am so excited to have a 3rd pass rusher.

Max I agree it's not a great pick if they don't use him. But Polian and Caldwell both talked about his versatility and using him in a Rover/Joker role. He played LB in high school so it's not completely unfamiliar to him.

Think about all the blitzing Brackett did last year. He did fine, but that isn't Brackett's strength. He is a speedy zone coverage linebacker. Imagine Hughes playing at SLB with Session and Brackett at their normal spots. Or really, any one of our 3 rushers playing any of the 3 positions (strongside rusher, weakside rusher, or rover) on 2nd or 3rd and long. That way our two best LBs can stay in zone and keep an eye on checks to the run, and the 3 best pass rushers can go after the QB. I LOVE it, I'm so psyched to see how Coyer uses Hughes next season.

I am also happy that we will have a 3rd pass rusher that can spell Freeney or Mathis to keep them fresh for the end of the season. I hate that Freeney got hurt in 07 and 09 and both times it cost us the post season. If Hughes is the guy we hope he is, he can come pick up the slack and we'll still have a pass rush. Imagine if we had Hughes in the SB instead of Brock.

Hughes is a great pick IMO.

MaxV
04-23-2010, 02:00 PM
I'm thinking the same thing.

Hughes would a very fine OLB, especially with more emphasis on blitzing.

This guy is a play-maker, and we have to find a way for him to be on the field.

chad72
04-23-2010, 02:11 PM
I feel we can pull off 4-2-5 formations, a defense Jerry Hughes played in a lot at TCU if our 3 safeties are healthy. Not all the time but for a few plays a game, that will get Bullitt, Sanders and Bethea on the field at the same time.

If we play 4-2-5 with 3 safeties, our run support is not compromised as much and out of those 2 LBs, we can have Gary Brackett in there all the time (goes without saying) and throw in Hughes as a blitzing LB occasionally with Brackett covering the flat and our DBs ready to hit.

Besides, we can rotate Bullitt or Sanders to play closer to the line of scrimmage and let the other roam. Bethea should always be our centerfielder behind them.

killxswitch
04-26-2010, 08:14 PM
Check out my awesome new sig!

Philliez01
06-06-2010, 03:53 PM
I know I'm late but haven't been around in a while.

I wanted the Colts to look OL this year in the first but I, too, love this pick. Hughes seems to be another great pass-rusher who hopefully can be big for us as fans in the coming years. DE may not have been a pressing need at all but when you add in Freeney's injury history and the fact that you could always use another playmaker, I like it.

Can't wait to see him play.

General Zod
10-14-2010, 08:45 PM
Whats up with Hughes? Has he been making the field much?

killxswitch
10-14-2010, 10:44 PM
Whats up with Hughes? Has he been making the field much?

No. Like a lot of rookie DLmen the game is moving too fast for him right now. I am hoping to see him in as a rushbacker in certain 3rd and long packages sometime soon, maybe midseason or after.

The Colts also tend to be stubborn with giving rookies playing time at certain positions. They waited 8 games to let Dwight Freeney start as a rookie despite lots of evidence that he was ready almost immediately. I think Hughes will be good one day but he is no Freeney.

RagingColt
10-15-2010, 07:30 PM
He's been de-active for several games already and played very little on special teams so far. Hopefully by mid season like kill switch mentions, he can be on the field giving breathers to Free and Mathis.